8.3

1. Feb 8, 2017
    Truly brillant, dynamic, masterpiece epic game. Gameplay better than Dark Souls. Really recommended for every dark souls fans.
    New Game of the Year 2017
  2. Feb 7, 2017
    Straight fun. Can be frustrating at times, but if you hang in there you are treated to some FINE gameplay. It can look a little janky compared to other AAA games released lately, but it's not a bad looking game by any means.

Ignore the trolls like VideoGamesLover. He's rating all Sony games 0 and all Xbone games 10 because he's a real classy guy.
  3. Feb 7, 2017
    Nioh - this is another masterpiece from the creators of Ninja Gaiden. And I assure you that it does not seem to Bloodborne and Dark Souls.
    Nioh - is much more complex and dangerous. He punishes even the most professional players, and nothing compares to this game.
    Atmosphere + The combat system + (masterpiece) History + Quests + Characters + Locations + (with the PS4 Pro game

Atmosphere +
    The combat system + (masterpiece)
    History +
    Quests +
    Characters +
    Locations + (with the PS4 Pro game looks great)
    Optimization + (stable 30/60 FPS)
    I am very pleased that Team Ninja are back and made a revolution after the last part. Who loves hardcore and pain - you just have to play this masterpiece!
  4. Feb 7, 2017
    All the negative reviews are from XBox and PC users. The game is great from the demos until the final release.
    It is a must for the ones that played Souls games.
  5. Feb 10, 2017
    So, this is my updated Nioh Review. Of course, as with user reviews, this is a highly personal one. Besides, i do not dislike the Souls Games or Diablo for Example.

Sol, after playing all Trials and Nioh for quiet a lot of hours now, i can definitely this game has come a long way. And so do have i, as a player. In between, i felt like i should have given this game simply a 5 out of 10 - just for how brutal it may have seemed at that very moment. But after you got the hang of another hard encounter, it becomes doable and is immensely satisfying. Not only this, if you arrive at some point of almost "mastery" of the game and it's mechanics, you can finish bosses in the first or second attempt if you are careful (and maybe a little lucky ^^)

Still, this game is not for the faint of heart :) Nioh really is a game that demands dedication. If you are not a Souls veteran and expect to blast through Nioh like you did blast through your last Call of Duty single player campaign, you are in for some severe frustration. But for all who know about this, i just sum up a few things i really like - and don't like - about the game:

- fluid and responsive combat
    - the feeling of growth - your character gets stronger, developes, way more then like in the souls series
    - amazing custimization options
    - fascinating setting
    - nice character animations and effects
    - amazing character and enemy designs
    - ok'ish animation of cloth and stuff
    - varying levels of enviromental detail - from bleak to awesome, there is everything
    - interesting story line
    - crushing difficulty (sometimes i like it, sometimes i don't ^^)
    - some encounters feel "unfair" / time demanded to kill a boss can be pretty steep
    - awesome amount of content
    - random loot
    - smithing
    - some features that will keep you playing this game for a long, long time
    -- nightmare missions, leaderboards, clans to join, coop

So, all in all, not much did change. The main thing being my attitude towards this game. It is like a special track of alternate music. There are tracks you do not immediately like, but they got this "something". After listening to them for many more times, you take a liking, and later on, they might become one of your all time favorites. Guess that happened with Nioh.

In the end, a little Bloodborne / Dark Souls vs Nioh side on side-comparision.

- Visuals: The engine of Nioh is optimized for performance, so in the end, the visuals are not as technically amazing as they have been in BB/DS
    - Combat: Different to Souls due to mostly very low wind up times, makes for a very speedy combat
    - Difficulty: this is hard .. i'd say Nioh is more demanding mechanically (you need to know your controls and combos), but in the end they are all hard.
    - Encounter Design: Well, Nioh has more, but BB/DS has the edge that almost all boss encounters were amazing. In Nioh, you got some that maybe an incredibly challenge, but when you dodge, drop into a freaking whole of a bridge .. that's just "meh" - doesn't feel right ^^ Though i got this feeling with some bosses in the other series too .. specially towards the end with some optional ones (like this one incredibly high hp hunter guy with the Katana ..)
    - Content: Well, though i think DS/BB have a nice replayabilty, Nioh has way more content and is (for me personal) more motivating to continue playing. It is simply amazing, the size of the world, so many levels and enviroments, the amount of gear, joining a clan, earn some honor, rank up in the leaderbords - it really has an amazing endgame.

So, i hope i could help some people decide about this game :-) Bye and maybe see you in game!
  6. Feb 7, 2017
    Firstly I leave clear that nioh is amazing, but why? the answer depends on who is being questioned, therefore not be fooled into with games perfect, because there are no.

Nioh is a hard work to define because the gaming industry is so generic that sometimes good titles are judged as copies (unfairly.) But if on the one hand Nioh is called a copy, on the other it is called a renewal. I prefer to consider Nioh as a renewal because there are so many different ways of playing, it is difficult not to identify with a specific type of weapon or even the combat position.

I'm not an expert in composition of art (animation and soundtrack.) But I would like to register my passion for Team Ninja's work in this part of the game, I really shivered whenever I heard new music while exploring the missions. As for graphics, I have nothing to complain about since I'm playing in action mode that works at 60 frames per second (I recommend doing the same, it's great.)

I have not finished the game yet, but what I have seen gives history is excellent. It is incredible to be able to tell a story so rich in subtle scenes. The only flaw of the game so far are a few bugs I've witnessed, but that have not affected my experience with this excellent work at all.

Finally, I leave here a maximum recommendation to those who love challenging games. Play this game as it will be one of the best experiences of your life within the game universe. For those who just want to relax, I strongly recommend that you do not buy because you will only stress more (unless you are a deity of difficult games). Everything in the player instigates me to improve, something that I consider obligatory in games of the type. Remembering that no one needs to take this review as a basis, I'm just a player leaving their opinion on a game.

I wish good luck to those who buy, but be prepared not to do anything else until the end of the game.
  7. Feb 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, I've yet to play any of the SoulsBourne games but at least it means I'm not going to be constantly comparing this and the Souls games. So far, the gameplay is where Nioh shines. The combat is really polished and it feels like all your hits connect even when in high stance. It never felt slow. Ki pulsing seems to be difficult to master for some people, but it really isn't.Unfortunately, I've yet to play any of the SoulsBourne games but at least it means I'm not going to be constantly comparing this and the Souls games. So far, the gameplay is where Nioh shines. The combat is really polished and it feels like all your hits connect even when in high stance. It never felt slow. Ki pulsing seems to be difficult to master for some people, but it really isn't. There are even skills to make the combat feel fresh for a while longer. The loot system makes it so that you're constantly changing your weapons and armor. I can see people not like this, but thankfully they added the ability to refashion your equips into anything you want but also keep the stats of what you're actually wearing. To level up you get Amrita from enemies then bank it into shrines that are scattered around in every mission. Co op is actually more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It makes the game a tad bit easier, but it was fun helping people pass through levels and then towards the end they do friendly gestures to you. Speaking of difficulty, this game is pretty hard. I constantly worried whether I should bank all the amrita I had, in case I died. Enemies have different moves, so they stay unpredictable for a while and they do quite a bit of damage. If you make a wrong move, you get punished hard. But the game is not impossible. It will feel as though this game might not be for you cause of its difficulty. But you can get better to the point where it sometimes becomes a breeze. Then you do the Twilight missions and you begin to question again if you're really good at this game at all. The overall look of the game is nice. The different locations really made it fun exploring the maps. The lighting is the only problem with the maps though. It makes it very hard to see whether the water is just a puddle or deep enough to kill you. If you're not into feudal Japan then it might look rather uninteresting. The variety of enemies, weapons, and armor is pretty high. The story isn't anything to write home about, but it was enjoyable enough to actually watch the cutscenes and get to know the characters in it. I think this is a game well worth investing in. Expand
  8. Feb 7, 2017
    Game of the year!!
    A perfect accompaniment to the SoulsBorne series, with plenty of unique ideas of its own and some of the best combat of the generation.
  9. Feb 7, 2017
    Nioh is every bit as compulsive and challenging as its inspiration, but is smart enough to add some interesting new twists. Love Dark Souls? Love samurai, ninjas and weird oriental fantasy? Jump onboard and prepare to die, cry and experience all the magic in-between, Nioh is great game, is amazing.
  10. Feb 7, 2017
    This is one of the best Action RPGs ever made. If you love From Software Souls series this game is a must buy. I you like Action RPGs please do a favor for yourself and buy this masterpiece.
  11. Feb 7, 2017
    This game is far, far better than I expected. I went in expecting a inferior Dark Souls experience, and that's fine.. However, what I ended up getting, was far more than that. This is no inferior Dark Souls experience, in fact, in many ways it's superior.

This is a game that is about dying, much like the Dark Souls games. However, there's something about the style here that just results in a far more immersive, addictive experience. The loot in this game is randomly generated (much like Diablo 3), and this means the game is very, very loot centric. This means that even after you've done everything there is to do (which will take over 100 hours) you'll still have loot to collect, and extra power to discover. Simply put, if you like Dark Souls 3 & Diablo 3, this is the game for you!
  12. Feb 7, 2017
    Gamers who hold speedrunning and time trial challenges close to their hearts will be in heaven here. Great challenge, funny concept, but the visuals and level design could be improved.
  13. Feb 7, 2017
    Nioh achieves what Dark Souls 3 could not do for me. Really make me excited to go back and play more. Great setting, great combat system and tons of content (from what i've heard). This is a must have for all fans of action rpgs
  14. Feb 7, 2017
    By far one of my favorite games of 2017. The combat is very refined, making for a smooth experience. It is challenging enough to keep you on your feet and constantly having to reevaluate the situation at hand. The variety in enemies is great, so it hardly feels same old, same old. The story isn't award-winning, but I found myself always interested in the characters. 2017 has so far started great.
  15. Feb 7, 2017
    It is 1598. Spain and England are at war. England was on the losing side and began resorting to alchemy. For this, they needed Amrita: a mysterious substance with special powers. You’re William Adams helmsmen of a ship. William is known as the first Englishman to get to Japan. He became a confidant of Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa, and became the first non-Japanese samurai. I really love gamesIt is 1598. Spain and England are at war. England was on the losing side and began resorting to alchemy. For this, they needed Amrita: a mysterious substance with special powers. You’re William Adams helmsmen of a ship. William is known as the first Englishman to get to Japan. He became a confidant of Shogun Ieyasu Tokugawa, and became the first non-Japanese samurai. I really love games that are based on real history. A nice touch is that the names of the vessels also are spoken in Dutch during the first cutscenes.

At the beginning of Nioh, you wake up in the Tower of London. I cannot suppress the feeling of Dark Souls. And hope Nioh is not an exact clone of this. Fortunately, this feeling is gone really fast. I escape from my cell, take down a jailer and walk up the stairs. I catch a conversation between two people. One person doesn’t says his name, the other person is Edward Kelly, an alchemist who claims he can turn metal into gold and even knows the secrets of the Philosopher’s Stone. Edward Kelly is also a person known from history books. I already feel that this is going to be a very special adventure.

You fight against men and demons called Yo-Kai which are known from Japanese mythology. Nioh, of course, goes a step further, The Yo-Kai are demons who take possession of people and causing them to mutate into horrible creatures. This is most shown during the fight against the final boss of the prologue.
    Dark Souls players will recognize many aspects of Nioh. You get points for every enemy you defeat that you can spend to reach a higher level.
    But Nioh is more. The long and very beautiful, cutscenes are great for a game that can occasionally be extremely difficult.The battles are really fast and challenging. Unlike the Souls games, you choose missions from a world map. Once you have completed a mission you can do side missions in the same area for better loot and XP. You can also replay the same mission in Twilight mode, which is even more challenging.

It is really fun to play through the levels together with other players. By setting up a secret password you can play with friends. Calling random people that come to your help is another option. After you have defeated the first boss there is also a whole new option, called Tori Gate. Here you can start a mission with a friend or random players. The new aspect is that the selected mission must be completed from start to finish, without being allowed to use of checkpoints. In exchange, you can die more often. In this game mode there is an additional bar on the screen, which begins to run empty at the time you or your buddy die. This can be stopped by reviving the other player. Is the bar empty? Then that’s the end of the mission and both of you have to start over. This is also something new which nioh is trying and should be commemorated. It works well and it creates a different dynamic to the gameplay.

Nioh is clearly inspired by the Soul Games. Where other games in the genre failed at creating their own identity, Nioh succeeds. The Japanese setting is like a fresh breeze through the genre and adding Spirit Guardians also helps. The lack of a PVP experience is a small minus, but the innovative Tori Gate game mode is compensation enough. Nioh is no Dark Souls clone. Nioh is Nioh. And Nioh is a potential GOTY 2017.

16. Feb 7, 2017
    Esse eu tive que vir analisar.
    Nioh impressiona por sua qualidade tecnica e gameplay, o jogo que tem clara influencia na serie souls, mas prossui sua propria indetidade, historia, gameplay, drop-rate, farm, dificuldade, tudo nesse jogo esta plenamente ajustado para proporcionar uma experiencia viciante!
  17. Feb 9, 2017
    There is a very simple equation to define this game.

Dark Souls + Ninja Gaiden + Onimusha + Diablo + a TON of love= Nioh

Need I say more? I think not!
  18. Feb 7, 2017
    This game is incredibly hard but with patience you can make it through. It's like the Souls series but with better combat and more features. .......................................................................................................................................................
  19. Feb 7, 2017
    Dark souls with more features and much better combat system...........................................................................................
  20. Feb 7, 2017
    I loved dark souls 3 but this is a notch above in terms of the balance between game play enjoyment + difficulty (risk/reward) and overall presentation.

RIP XBONEEEEE
  21. Feb 7, 2017
    Nioh is one of the best games ever created just like most PS4 games. An innovative game with a unique identity that managed to surpass Dark Souls and its predecessor Demon Souls and that now is considered as one of the best of the best next to BloodBorne.

R.I.P XONE
  22. Feb 7, 2017
    The fact that nearly every review you see is comparing it to Dark Souls/Bloodborne, tells you something. While not quite on the same level, Nioh is an incredibly well done game with countless hours of gameplay, excellent graphics, smooth mechanics, difficulty that isn't unfair, and coop/pvp. You can't get much more out of a $60 game. Casuals may have a difficult time, but if they have aThe fact that nearly every review you see is comparing it to Dark Souls/Bloodborne, tells you something. While not quite on the same level, Nioh is an incredibly well done game with countless hours of gameplay, excellent graphics, smooth mechanics, difficulty that isn't unfair, and coop/pvp. You can't get much more out of a $60 game. Casuals may have a difficult time, but if they have a little patience they too can enjoy this game.

Highly recommended.
  23. Feb 7, 2017
    Too many PR-activity for the most common game ever. As a result - overhype.

Good Japanese setting with grey and boring locations.
    DS-like combat system with awful Ki Pulse mechanics.
    Nice stylistics with bad graphics.

And all other elements of this game also contains their negative side. It's not a bad game but too far away from 9/10 of journals, sites and critics.
  24. Mar 16, 2017
    I'm a fan of bloodsouls games and I simply love NioH even more than I loved going from dark souls to bloodborne. This game is extremely deep, has a very challenging, but yet natural way of controlling the combat (changing stances mid combo ect.) and I simply can't get enough of it. I already completed more than 100 coop missions and you really can see the difference between ppl which areI'm a fan of bloodsouls games and I simply love NioH even more than I loved going from dark souls to bloodborne. This game is extremely deep, has a very challenging, but yet natural way of controlling the combat (changing stances mid combo ect.) and I simply can't get enough of it. I already completed more than 100 coop missions and you really can see the difference between ppl which are in full control of their character and between those, that just smash the buttons and use one stance, lel ;) What is good is, that the noobs slowly vanish as the time goes, but on the other hand, competition grows stronger as we're getting closer to PvP release ;) oh boy, can't wait ... what a game!!! Expand
  25. Mar 27, 2017
    Really tight gameplay that is fast paced and keeps you in the game and a story that you wont care about, if you have yet to play this style of game I would recommend an easier stamina management style game like DS2 and then immediately come back and play this.
  26. Mar 19, 2017
    PRO:
    -Very cool Combat Mechanics
    -Extensive Skill system -Charakter Customisation NEUTRAL: -Sound and Soundtrack -Story -Crafting -Atmosphere -NPCs -Balancing CON: -Enemy Variety -Level Variety -Backtracking (in Side missions) -The quality and amount of loot -time spend in menus Tldr:Combat and Customisation even better than Dark Souls, Level/Enemy design and
    PRO:
    -Very cool Combat Mechanics
    -Extensive Skill system
    -Charakter Customisation

NEUTRAL:
    -Sound and Soundtrack
    -Story
    -Crafting
    -Atmosphere
    -NPCs
    -Balancing

CON:
    -Enemy Variety
    -Level Variety
    -Backtracking (in Side missions)
    -The quality and amount of loot
    -time spend in menus
    Tldr:Combat and Customisation even better than Dark Souls, Level/Enemy design and Atmosphere is lacking.
  27. Mar 24, 2017
    Nioh es de esos juegos que creo que debemos de apoyar, realmente Tecmo esta vez creo que ha hecho un gran videjuego, que no es un Dark Souls que muchos comparan este juego con Nioh, pero si que tiene elementos de dicha saga como la dificultad.

En Nioh se nos tira desde el principio a la boca del lobo, no es un juego que sea "accesible" desde el inicio, es un titulo que de una vez te tira a progresar con inteligencia, primero conociendo los controles, y segundo tratando de decirnos que no se trata de simplemente machacar botones, hay que conocer el enemigo, hay que evitar grupos de estos, hay que conocer en casos es útil un golpe bajo , medio o fuerte, y no se trata de solo de estar corriendo del punto A al B.

El juego invita a que se explore, que busque el luchar contra enemigos fuertes, el estar siempre atentos a estar cambiando de equipo tanto a nivel de armaduras como armas, cada enemigo puede dejar al morir elementos útiles como objetos curativos, de apoyo, dinero, se tiene que explorar cada rincón, buscar cuerpos con recompensas, cofres de tesoros, etc.

Gráficamente no es un referente, yo lo juego en mi consola PS4 normal a 720p, y corre con fps muy estable, solo he sentido un par de casos muy puntuales donde la tasa de imágenes por segundo a caído bastante, pero se dieron cuando ya había completado una misión, mejor dicho cuando estaba saliendo de ella al presionar el botón de circulo para ser precisos, por lo que el resto lo que importa que es el moverse por el escenario y luchar contra jefes, no he tenido ningún bajonazo.

El juego no es un mundo abierto, las misiones son en algunos casos de las secundarias muy sencillas en cuanto a requerimientos para terminarlas, y otros casos cuando luchamos contra personajes famosos dentro del juego las luchas son muy pero muy difíciles, al punto de llegar a desesperarse si no se conoce la estrategia adecuada. Con las misiones principales tenemos etapas muy largas si se quiere explorar todo, y luchar contra todos los enemigos y pueden estar seguro que esto tiene su recompensa en cuanto objetos.
    Luego están las misiones ocaso donde casi todos los enemigos serán Yokais muy poderosos y de mas respeto.

Los jefes en algunos casos son muy difíciles, el no conocer bien o dominar bien el combate hará que nos enfrentemos una veintena de veces a ellos, no es malo para nada pedir ayuda. La ventaja del juego es nos permite el poder trollar bastante a un enemigo, pero esto se logra con el tiempo.

El punto mas importante que tiene este juego es la jugabilidad, nos encontramos con un juego que corre muy bien en la consola, el control responde casi de forma perfecta, y eso provoca que estemos frente a un juego muy solido.

Lo negativo que tiene el juego es la repetición de los enemigos, ya cuando se este bastante avanzado no se va a descubrir nada nuevo en este aspecto, hay otras cosillas como el excesivo descubrimiento de objetos, armaduras, y armas.

Vale la pena Nioh, yo diría que si, si se tiene gustos por este tip de juegos, es algo nuevo y diferente a lo que se tiene acostumbrado al mercado de PS4 con tanto juego remasterizado o juego cansino de siempre.
  28. Mar 23, 2017
    It's quite an interesting attempt to make a great game like for example Bloodborne and Dark Souls are. Although this game has its courageous creativity and all well-done mechanics are also sucsessfuly taken to this game from the above mentioned ones, it unfortunatelly has a very medium game disaign. Really, it doesn't make you do WOW as it was every single moment in Bloodborne, it's justIt's quite an interesting attempt to make a great game like for example Bloodborne and Dark Souls are. Although this game has its courageous creativity and all well-done mechanics are also sucsessfuly taken to this game from the above mentioned ones, it unfortunatelly has a very medium game disaign. Really, it doesn't make you do WOW as it was every single moment in Bloodborne, it's just grey and average. That's why this game doesn't deserve anything what is above 8/10. Expand
  29. May 25, 2017
    A good game.

Is it as good as the Dark Souls it tries to be? No. It is as frustrating as it could have been? No. The gameplay: A fluent, Easy to Get Hard to Master philosophy will keep you going at trying to see the entire width of the system until the very end, especially if you're a casual like me. You see, I like Dark Souls, but what I liked about it is that the most complex
    A good game.

Is it as good as the Dark Souls it tries to be? No.
    It is as frustrating as it could have been? No.

The gameplay: A fluent, Easy to Get Hard to Master philosophy will keep you going at trying to see the entire width of the system until the very end, especially if you're a casual like me. You see, I like Dark Souls, but what I liked about it is that the most complex spells and skills could be performed by me pressing one of the shoulder buttons.
    Not in Nioh-Town, you want to do a complex backflip after recharge with a spin and a trio-stab? Gotta be in the right stance with the right weapon with the right skill using a button combination at the right time.
    While this made having a mountain-size of weapons, like in Dark Souls, unnecassery, since you had a lot more to do with a few weapons, and thus wasn't a bad idea, it also meant that people who don't find the time to master the system feel it has been wasted the entire game. Kind of like trying to Parry in DS1, only in here it works better, so Plus for Nioh.

The Story: Taking history and kicking it around until it makes sense for your game is cool. I don't mind alternate histories of periods and settings I don't know anything about. What I do mind is a series of cutscenes and characters that are presumably important historical figures told me, having some moment say in the story, and we move on. In its Spiritual-Predecessor, Dark Souls, if you wanted to know the Lore that badly, you sat around and read rings. I just want the puppy soul-eater off the guy. Yeah, I know there's the Skip-button, but I feel like if I skip anymore cutscenes I won't get anything of what is going on, and I won't be able to sit down and read rings later to get it!

Level design: Probably a bad choice to let history limit you on this one. I never felt the levels were that different, and even when they were different visually, I can't say I felt they were beyond similar gauntlets. Maybe its because I did most of the sidequests, and a lot of them repeat and recycle the areas to submission, trying to add length to the game, whilst in the Predecessor (DS, if you didn't get it up to now) the game was long because you had to figure out where to go next, you were the only thing limiting your progression. In this game, even after doing all the side-missions, I ended up feeling underpowered for the end. So what does it say of people rushing out to do the main game before doing the rest of the side-missions? I can imagine it'll be frustrating.

Summary: It's a good way to spend your time if you don't have enough Dark Souls in your blood. When in doubt, unload this and reload Bloodborne, you'll notice significant improvements and less japanese history.
  30. Mar 23, 2017
    Nioh is a fantastic entry for Team Ninja and definitely makes the case for the new Action RPB Dark Souls-esque genre. I loved the combat speed and fluidity. The co-op elements are unique and element and, like DS, fail to truly allow for a full co-op experience (at this point) but nonetheless offer an absolutely enjoyable random PvE co-op experience.

My only complaint is that the same

My only complaint is that the same enemies are recycled throughout the game which takes away from the overall enjoyment. The boss fights are usually fantastic and challenging and keep the game moving forward.

The weapon and armor system can be overwhelming but the massive amounts of options are very much welcomed.

Overall, this is a fantastic game and hopefully the start of something big in the future of Action RPG games from Team Ninja.
  31. Jan 17, 2020
    Pensava que seria apenas mais uma cópia de Dark Souls, mas ele conseguiu ser original e ter sua identidade própria.

Bem desafiador e repetitivo. O maior ponto positivo dele foi um modo de game que permite dois players progredirem juntos a campanha inteira, diferente do método tradicional de ser invocado que existe desde Dark Souls, que por sinal também esta presente aqui.
  32. VTL
    Dec 21, 2019
    Un gran souls like con mecanicas diferentes y una historia buena. En ocasiones más dificil que los souls sin los amuletos magicos claro... si no es algo mas sencillo. ahun asi es un gran gran titulo.
  33. Jun 5, 2017
    My game play experience on Nioh
    Pros
    - Challenging, take a while to understanding the control, requires patience, patience and patience. - The difficulty is above normal, not easy to play. You might end up retry at last save point if you are not paying attention. Which is good to me, coz might lost interest if game difficulty is too low. - Huge freedom to build your character in anyway
    My game play experience on Nioh
    Pros
    - Huge freedom to build your character in anyway you want.
    - Boss fight is super challenging. Each boss is unique and one-of-a-kind. Need to farm healing potions and get prepared.

Cons
    - It takes hours to finish one main story mission, may be lesser for sub-quest while carefully and explore the maps
    - Organizing the stash and carry item/ eq is not quite user friendly. Cant access to stash nor checking the remaining item in the stash during mission
    - Map is big and can be confusing sometimes, no guided map or GPS. It will take you a while to explore the map and route

Overall, recommended for player who seeks challenges.
  34. May 7, 2017
    I have to admit, that I only cleared Nioh 50%. I am a Dark Souls veteran so that was why I bought this game. The combat combined with the difficulty is amazing and bloodpumping (the bosses are awesome). The downside to Nioh is, it get's repetitive very very fast. Compared to Dark Souls 1,3 and Bloodborne the level design, the atmosphere and the creature desing is inferior.
    Honestly I
    Honestly I found myself putting in other games after completing 1-2 levels everytime. I never got bored AT ALL by any Souls Borne game. I had more fun with Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata this year. But don't get me wrong, it's a very good game. If you like action games, difficult games, or Dark Souls you should maybe buy this. Someday I might complete this game to honor it at least.
  35. Mar 20, 2017
    Nioh is a great game. It has great bosses, great enemies, interesting Japanese mythology, and some of the best combat system I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's an absolute blast to play, and I'd say it's my favorite game of 2017 so far. The only things that hold the game back from a 9/10 or 10/10 are: 1.) Finding health packs. You can only carry 8 of them, you can't buy them, andNioh is a great game. It has great bosses, great enemies, interesting Japanese mythology, and some of the best combat system I've ever had the pleasure of using. It's an absolute blast to play, and I'd say it's my favorite game of 2017 so far. The only things that hold the game back from a 9/10 or 10/10 are: 1.) Finding health packs. You can only carry 8 of them, you can't buy them, and they aren't that common. So if you run out, you have to grind for more. 2.) The mission system. This one isn't a big problem, but it should've been one open connected world like in dark souls or bloodborne. Still a fantastic game. Expand
  36. Mar 22, 2017
    Начну с того ,что я прошел все части серии ДС, следовательно могу дать объективную оценку данной игре. Постараюсь быть беспристрастным.
    1) Графика 7 из 10 .
    Само собой я отдаю себе отчет ,что Nioh как и ДС игры не про графику ,а про геймплей,но,если в ДС ( я говорю о третьей части графическая составляющая очень не плоха ,то здесь она уровня PS3 ) 2)Дизайн локаций и обычных врагов 7 из
    1) Графика 7 из 10 .
    2)Дизайн локаций и обычных врагов 7 из 10
    В дизайне локаций Nioh так же крайне сильно проигрывает третьей части ДС , в которой иногда от величественных видов захватывает дух , ты словно погружаешься в эту атмосферу мрачного средневекового фэнтези с его замками и драконами. В Nioh всего этого не и в помине . Просто обычные коридорные локации , на которых расставлены враги , которые к слову так же проработаны хуже и менее талантливо ,чем в ДС.
    3)Дизайн боссов 8 из 10.
    Тут игра не так сильно проигрывает соулсу , хотя все же и проигрывает . Боссы достаточно оригинально выглядят , но за всю игру вам запомнятся буквально 2-3 босса ,хотя в том же ДС каждый босс крайне запоминающийся.
    4)Геймплей 10/10
    Вот в этом аспекте , между прочим , самом главном Nioh побеждает ДС . Играть в нее веселее . Интересные механики стоек . Что особо мне нравиться ,так это скорость игры , которая наверное чуть выше чем даже в ББ.
    5)Музыка 7 из 10.
    На фоне ДС опять же очень не выразительно .
    6)Сложность 10/10 .
    О сложности судить очень трудно , ибо рядовые противники тут попроще ,чем они же в ДС ,но вот боссы , на мой взгляд, куда жестче ,чем в ДС . Лично я никогда не страдал на боссах так , как я страдал в Nioh , даже в ДС 1 у меня было с ними меньше проблем.

По совокупности игра должна получить 8 из 10 , но я считаю ,что она заслуживает девятки , потому что превзошла ДС в качестве геймплея , который является основополагающим в подобных играх.
    Добавлю ,что игру я прошел целиком и получил от нее массу удовольствия.
    Смотря на мои оценки вы можете подумать ,что она хуже ДС,но нет. Она проще-да (с точки зрения тех части, музыки) ,но хуже -нет. Может даже я получил от нее больше удовольствия ,чем от ДС.
  37. May 7, 2017
    I'll start with the pros...... controls are flawless ....... no wait to be summoned and no search for summon signs. Loot is everywhere and just about everything you kill drops something to be used sold or scrapped. The way the game works is amazing and the ideas they put into this masterpiece are original. This is not a BloodSouls game.
    No basement dwelling trolls invading you with a
    No basement dwelling trolls invading you with a level 30 character ... end game armor .. and a + 10 weapon equipped that will 1 shot you ....when you are just trying to make it to the next bonfire ..If you want pvp battles .... It's quick and easy from the main menu ..... very cool.. but sorry trolls no invasions.
    Cons......... a few levels have weird fog or too much light which are a little rough on the eyes but no biggie. I think I was under leveled and under geared for most of the game and then the last region dumps so much gear and upgrades it's a little dumb. I don't like farming so if that's your thing you will like that about this game. I understand replaying levels and what not but killing the same dude 150 times so you can have a blue print to make some armor is a bit too much. All in all compared to a lot of garbage games being pumped out for the masses. This game is worth buying.
  38. Jun 3, 2017
    If you're into the Soulsborne games, this is an absolute MUST PLAY. While the world and enemy design isn't quite as up the the standard of Dark/Demon Souls and Bloodborne, Nioh has the absolute best combat system in games of the kind, multiple weapons, with multiple stances, added with multiple spells and jutsu, this combat runs deep. One thing I greatly love is the way weapons refineIf you're into the Soulsborne games, this is an absolute MUST PLAY. While the world and enemy design isn't quite as up the the standard of Dark/Demon Souls and Bloodborne, Nioh has the absolute best combat system in games of the kind, multiple weapons, with multiple stances, added with multiple spells and jutsu, this combat runs deep. One thing I greatly love is the way weapons refine overtime, giving you a solid enough reason to change up, if you're like me and want to upgrade all the weapons. And unlike many games, I enjoyed all the weapons equally for one reason or another, other games I find I prefer one weapon and end up sticking to it, but here I was constantly changing it up, none of the weapons felt useless or even inferior, they all had their purpose for certain enemies. Also, the reforge option should become a standard in all equipment games moving forward, allowing you to change the look of a strong item into a visage you prefer, so you can always choose your look and stick with your best items; lord knows in the past I've kept weaker equipment because I didn't like the way the stronger items looked. Soul Match is another great feature, merging weapons and armor to create even stronger weapons and armor. Just an excellent game through and through. Currently my GOTY. Expand
  39. Aug 20, 2017
    Lot of depth here - many ways to play although defence critical. Ninja gaiden meets dark souls with a touch of many others. Smithing system a little odd to enjoy but designed to stop armour weapon exploits. Interesting hybrid with potential for further development that needs stronger story lines to succeed I think
  40. Aug 28, 2017
    It's hard to describe Nioh without mentioning Dark Souls, but it isn't a ripoff, it's a great game with great combat system, more fast paced than DS and a story a little intriguing. For the people questioning about it's difficulty, for me it was fair, but for some it can be a little hard, but nothing that experience can't handle.
  41. Jan 11, 2019
    Crushingly difficult but immensely enjoyable, Nioh is definitely a game to get lost in. It is The scale of the loot system alone is staggering, not to mention the replayable missions, multiple difficulty levels, great online play (co-op or PvE), endless stat builds, thorough weapon customisation and intuitive crafting. Combat is deceivingly deep, with one of five weapon classes accompaniedCrushingly difficult but immensely enjoyable, Nioh is definitely a game to get lost in. It is The scale of the loot system alone is staggering, not to mention the replayable missions, multiple difficulty levels, great online play (co-op or PvE), endless stat builds, thorough weapon customisation and intuitive crafting. Combat is deceivingly deep, with one of five weapon classes accompanied by numerous skills, combos and training missions. The weapons are truly different and make playing Nioh with each a different experience. The spear is heavy yet elegant, the kusarigama fast and unique, the sword trustworthy and versatile. The low, mid and high stance system and ki (stamina) system contribute to make battling in Nioh a sheer joy. It is fast, aggressive and heart-pounding in every instance, and wrong moves can genuinely cost you your life in a millisecond, even in the final region. Bosses are always challenging, and many have refreshing takes on battling. The difficulty of Nioh is, admittedly, a bit on the cheap side at times - you will never reach a point in this game where you can totally breeze through missions unless you grind like crazy (a viable pursuit in the end-game). One-hits can sometimes feel unfair and some bosses have ridiculously hard to avoid killer combos, but I managed to beat all main and side content - never give up!

The art direction of Nioh is probably its main selling point next to the fluid combat. It drips in style, with every single aspect fitting of the feudal Japan environment. Music, text, costumes, architecture, lore...everything is perfectly realised and surprisingly vibrant in a otherwise dreary war-torn world. Guardian Spirits are a particular highlight for me; seeing a ghostly flame-coated phoenix or a huge water dragon erupt from your character to do battle with your enemies never gets boring, and their 'Living Weapon' function is visual treat AND powerful combat maneuver.

Story-wise, Nioh falls down. The plot is bare-bones and often non-sensical, but it is fun to see genuine Japanese historical figures in a world of demons and spirits. From real-life ninjas, samurai and nobles to the figureheads at the front of the country-consuming war, it's cool to experience a (highly exaggerated) true(-ish) story! The pacing of the game suffers from the mission-based format, which is fun for dipping in and out of, but detracts from the already floundering storyline. Sub-missions are, to be fair, usually quite fun despite re-using levels, and are ALWAYS worthwhile loot-wise. If I'm totally honest, by the end I was SO ready to finish the game, despite enjoying it. It is exhausting in many ways but I loved it nonetheless.

Although it became a little bit of a slog towards the end and the difficulty isn't as neat as it could be, Nioh is undoubtedly a fantastic game and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a copycat of another game series. It has so many unique, fun and well-designed aspects to its gameplay, and it totally stands by itself in my opinion. But, ultimately, its gorgeous setting is easily one of the more complete and successful stylistic directions I've had the pleasure of playing. It's charming and beautiful and I know that once I've recovered from the experience, I'll be back for more!
  42. Oct 18, 2019
    I really like this game so far. I will update when I'm done but so far so good. Only thing I dont like is the save points are too far from each other. Its better than Dark Souls though. The combat is amazing.
  43. Feb 17, 2019
    I spent over 600 hours in this game, so I obviously liked it. Let's start with the good things:

+ feudal Japan history is very intriguing, and this game can be a good starting point to learn more about the subject + the combat system is deep and complex, but more important is fun. It is also very fluid and responsive, especially when playing in Action Mode (which penalizes the graphics

+ the combat system is deep and complex, but more important is fun. It is also very fluid and responsive, especially when playing in Action Mode (which penalizes the graphics but keeps the frame rate close to 60 fps in almost every situation)
    + there are lots of weapons and armors which can be customized to get specific bonuses, allowing the players to create their own build that suits their combat style. I also enjoyed collecting them and reading their description
    + the game is hard and offers a good challenge
    + OSTs are nice

Sadly there are some issues that can't be overlooked:

- enemies painfully lack in variety (some of them are recycled several times with different colors, and main bosses are often reused as mini bosses for both main and sub missions)
    - same goes for the maps. They are too often recycled for sub missions
    - as a result of the two previous points, sub quests are not really interesting
    - OSTs are often reused as well (minor issue, but detracts something from the experience)

Conclusions: the game is very good but needs more variety. Hopefully Nioh 2 will improve in this aspect. Also a model viewer for weapons and armors would be great.
  44. Feb 15, 2019
    Great chalange for DS fans, but this game and world doesn't even come close to FromSoftware universe. Very decent game and that's all.
  45. Oct 16, 2019
    Nioh is a fun game with each quest feeling like a beginning of a new adventure. It is hard, I died to Onryoki for a hundred times, until I figured out how to play. It is relentless but gives you so many tools to work with. Your blondie Dutch character does feel like he's getting better at things "Japan", unlike Sekiro, who just dies twice and nothing more.
  46. Dec 7, 2019
    Nioh is a really great game but it is not perfect. I really liked the overall look of the game. The story was ok and entertaining but it could be better. Gameplay and combat couldn't be better! That's what makes this game so great. All the options and skilltrees were way too much in my opinion. I barely used nothing of all that stuff. On the one hand it's simply too much reading into allNioh is a really great game but it is not perfect. I really liked the overall look of the game. The story was ok and entertaining but it could be better. Gameplay and combat couldn't be better! That's what makes this game so great. All the options and skilltrees were way too much in my opinion. I barely used nothing of all that stuff. On the one hand it's simply too much reading into all of that on the other hand it makes the game extremely easy with slowing the enemys or revive after death. Looking back the magic and ninja-skilltree is a great way for people who don't want a soulslike-game.
    What I absolutely don't like is the looting in the game. Every weak enemy drops around 2 clothes or a weapon... it's super confusing and unnecessary. (that's exactly what I don't like in Diablo 3) The second big point which bothered me were all those side-quests. I would be fine with it, if they aren't necessary for beating this game. If you don't play them you are extremely underleveled. Why I don't like them? Because they are the same areas which i played some minutes before in the main quest... Without story or a special boss, really boring!
  47. Nov 9, 2019
    Strong core mechanics with plenty of versatility and room for mastery.
    Varied and engaging level design.
    Lacking in enemy variety compared to its length.
    Loot mechanics overburden you with too many items.
  48. Jan 27, 2020
    This is a very complex RPG game that has a huge gap on dificulty beetwen regular enemies and bosses. You have to be prone to study boss fights on youtube, have good reflexes for dodging and be a calm and pacient person. This game may cause stress and anger wich can lead to heart problems and cancer.
  49. Nov 7, 2019
    Juego difícil pero genial. Darksouls con samurais. No sé cuántas horas le metí al juego pero fueron muchas. Juego largo, divertido, y con mucha acción.
  50. Apr 13, 2018
    Pretty Godd*mn swell if you axe me... Being a big Soulsborne junky I was keeping an eye on this forever, ya know, being it is a clone and all. Yeah, it is a clone for the most part. That said, it is its own man for the most part when it comes to combat, crafting and loot. Coming right off of playing a Dark Souls game into this was quite a learning curve, as there is a lot more sh*tPretty Godd*mn swell if you axe me... Being a big Soulsborne junky I was keeping an eye on this forever, ya know, being it is a clone and all. Yeah, it is a clone for the most part. That said, it is its own man for the most part when it comes to combat, crafting and loot. Coming right off of playing a Dark Souls game into this was quite a learning curve, as there is a lot more sh*t going on here under the hood. I almost quit because I just couldn't adjust to the controls. Well, after resetting my brain with a break, I came back and plowed through it about 2 weeks. The level layouts, bonfires (shrines), and boss fights are all very Soulsy. Even the glowing treasure orbs are the same. The graphics, story, and ambiance are slightly inferior, but the combat, crafting and NG+ options are where it makes you deer it in the headlights. If put in a headlock or full nelson, I'll still take my Souls, but this is right behind it. God bless. Pay your taxes. Expand
  51. Mar 12, 2017
    platinumed the game and had a lots of fun... it has a few basic mechanisms as souls series but also unique in many ways. the major problem i have with this game is how unbalanced it is... too many oped spells and cheap ways to beat the bosses...i think the level design, the enemy variety and the boss design are a little lacking... the gameplay, however, is very very good and feels betterplatinumed the game and had a lots of fun... it has a few basic mechanisms as souls series but also unique in many ways. the major problem i have with this game is how unbalanced it is... too many oped spells and cheap ways to beat the bosses...i think the level design, the enemy variety and the boss design are a little lacking... the gameplay, however, is very very good and feels better than souls imo. it is a solid game and could be 9 or 10 out of 10 for a lot of people, but after finished the game i have no desire to replay it for some reasons...i feel the game has its moment but also very grindy and repetitive, so it is a 8 for me..... Expand
  52. Mar 2, 2020
    I love Souls games and this game nailed it. I love the story and background. The gameplay is good and progressing is fun.

Story: 9
    Gameplay: 8
    Graphics: 8
    Controls: 9
    Replayability: 5
  53. Jun 19, 2019
    The combat system is absolutely great with three different stances to utilize. The locations are very interesting, such as a dark fishing village and a spider-infested castle; the atmosphere is simply there. Every enemy demands your respect and defeating them feels so satisfying. There truly is no cannon fodder here. However, prepare to die over and over again to normal enemies as well asThe combat system is absolutely great with three different stances to utilize. The locations are very interesting, such as a dark fishing village and a spider-infested castle; the atmosphere is simply there. Every enemy demands your respect and defeating them feels so satisfying. There truly is no cannon fodder here. However, prepare to die over and over again to normal enemies as well as super tough bosses. The amount of loot is a bit too heavy and thus inventory management consumes a lot of time. Expand
  54. Dec 20, 2017
    Firstly lets point out nioh's flaws.

1. There is a pause button but you have to press 2 buttons to get to it and its not told to you at all, discovered it by accident after finishing my play through..... --- very angry as there are times i died to bosses cause i got called to from down stairs etc from relatives. Should have been in tuturial. 2. Camera angles in some end game
    Firstly lets point out nioh's flaws.

2. Camera angles in some end game missions when your fighting two bosses is a bother and often makes the fight hard for the wrong reasons.

3. End game expects you farm 20 million in game currency and in my playthrough i got like 4???? my playthrough was at the average 80 to 100 hours. Why couldn't armita and currency be the same friggen stat?

4. Not marking of spas the same way as komodoras often forcing tedious backtrack when going for spa hunter.

5. No level slider on missions allowing you to replay specfic missions only (e.g) for armors. This somewhat allows the soul forging mechanic to be useful however but it would be better if you didn't need to farm for good gear in the end game just to farm gold.

6. Not informing the player there is a way to increase short cut slots, meaning that i spent most of my game limited to 8 slots ,2 melee weapons and 2 ranged weapons meaning i died sometimes during menus when i was looking for extra health, or ranged bombs. (you can have 4 short cut slots and they are upgraded by talking with tome at the blacksmith.) wish i had known this much earlier.

7. Boss fights spam overpowered moves that often instant kill and some fights won't even give you chance to use exilers an auto elixer armor would be helpful, of course this is rectified with magic and taking the instant cast on self mystic art.

8. A limit on ninjistu and onymo (magic) that capacity caps at 40..... meaning you can't carry all your fav items at the same time. I wish there where items like locks that increased this or armors that increased carrying capacity.

9. Strange culling glitches like walls causing a grainy screen effect. (no longer present from what i have seen in 1.21.)

10, Some dojo missions like spear proficency etc etc expect you to only use a weapon despite using that said weapon with ninjustu and magic for most encounters and forces you to use a powered down spear, It means like these missions get an inherit advantage from having more health or ki as primary stats and you can't use your sprit, magic, ninjustu or collected items in anyway which sucks.

11. No special item to prevent enemies respawning when going to heal at shrine.

12 Not being able to select twilight missions in end game.

Good things.

1. mystic arts are cool and you should be able to take more than 1 from each category or have at least one wild card slot so for example instead of taking 1 from axe you can take 2 from ninjitsu.

2. Different stances for weapons adds layer of complexity and has differing attacks and animations which is great.

3. Living weapon is cool shame it got nerfed to crap meaning infinite living weapon builds suck as of 1.16.

4. Uses hand cannon's, bows and rifles as ranged weapons.

5 inheriting skills, crafting system
  55. May 30, 2017
    The "Git Rekt Git Gud" genre of Punishing-Third-Person-Action-RPG with a gear focus and level progression that relies on death to teach and exponentially experience the player has reached a place where we are no longer seeing what needs to be called "Souls Clones" and instead are experiencing evolutions and expansions of the core mechanics that made those games great. Nioh shines in itsThe "Git Rekt Git Gud" genre of Punishing-Third-Person-Action-RPG with a gear focus and level progression that relies on death to teach and exponentially experience the player has reached a place where we are no longer seeing what needs to be called "Souls Clones" and instead are experiencing evolutions and expansions of the core mechanics that made those games great. Nioh shines in its Eastern History mixed with folklore and monster tales to make it a world I was ever engrossed in from beginning to end. Switching weapons/stances to keep it fresh, farming gear to buff your elements, doing Twilight Missions to get needed materials and the Dojo to acquire needed skills...this game was never boring and always challenging. Shinobi and Devil May Cry were resonating through the GRGG mechanics and the breakneck bosses / level progression only bolstered this feeling. Tense, exciting and new, Nioh was a must have for fans of the formula. Expand
  56. Mar 12, 2020
    Not as polished as dark souls, not as clever as bloodborne, but best not from software game and amazing experience as a game that use soulborne system, but still stands as a completely different game. Only big let down is the story... Non interesting and badly voice acted. Really, japanese dont be so loud and wierd
  57. Apr 13, 2018
    Great Graphics, Great Combat, Too easy.

Don't compare it to Dark Souls... It is not the same thing.Oh and Bloodbourne is better than DS.

Have you played the Ninja Gaiden games on PS3 and 360? if you have not played them take a back seat.
  58. Jun 2, 2018
    Really a masterpiece nothing else to say !!!
    I played it for many hours and its a pleasure hell yeah !!!
  59. Mar 10, 2017
    This game is fantastic! When I started playing my first thought was "If this is anything close to a Dark Souls experience I'll be happy!" But it's more in its own league. Nioh has much more dialogue and beautiful cut scenes with amazing art that really draws you into the story which stops you comparing it to other games and makes you enjoy it's unique style. I always like to try with anyThis game is fantastic! When I started playing my first thought was "If this is anything close to a Dark Souls experience I'll be happy!" But it's more in its own league. Nioh has much more dialogue and beautiful cut scenes with amazing art that really draws you into the story which stops you comparing it to other games and makes you enjoy it's unique style. I always like to try with any game I've enjoyed to try and pick out one criticism and with this game the only thing I didn't like was after the last main mission where the story seems to come to a conclusion there are then a few more side missions which I personally found tedious and no enjoyable but apart from that I loved the game. Definitely IMO harder than Dark Souls, but I'm glad if was as I really enjoyed the challenge. Expand
  60. Mar 10, 2017
    There's a few enemy variations, but the action in this game is too fun to pass up. If you are a fan of Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden this game might be right up your alley. 5 Weapons to master, Ninjutsu and magic called Onmyo to help you out. I had a lot of fun with the game and it took me maybe like 2 days to complete main game and the side quests. Now all that's left is the extra end gameThere's a few enemy variations, but the action in this game is too fun to pass up. If you are a fan of Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden this game might be right up your alley. 5 Weapons to master, Ninjutsu and magic called Onmyo to help you out. I had a lot of fun with the game and it took me maybe like 2 days to complete main game and the side quests. Now all that's left is the extra end game content to fully complete. Expand
  61. Mar 14, 2017
    The RPG mechanics are absolutely unnecessary, the story sucks, but the combat is some of the best combat in any game ever. In other words Nioh is an extremely good action game but also a bad RPG.
  62. Mar 31, 2019
    "Nioh" features the gameplay of "Dark Souls" and the look of "Onimusha" . The developer, Team Ninja, previously made the "Ninja Gaiden" games and it shows. This is an extremely difficult action RPG that rewards practice and patience. It's faster-paced and more combat-oriented than the Souls titles, but it basically plays the same. You'll die hundreds of times since each enemy can kill you"Nioh" features the gameplay of "Dark Souls" and the look of "Onimusha" . The developer, Team Ninja, previously made the "Ninja Gaiden" games and it shows. This is an extremely difficult action RPG that rewards practice and patience. It's faster-paced and more combat-oriented than the Souls titles, but it basically plays the same. You'll die hundreds of times since each enemy can kill you in a number of seconds. However, unlike "Dark Souls", the art style is colorful with an almost over-the-top comic book aesthetic. The look is visually appealing and will entice fans of "Ninja Gaiden". I haven't finished "Nioh" (it includes up to 100 hours of gameplay), but I absolutely love the challenge and combat system. For me, this is a more fun than frustrating action title. I would rate it with a 9 out of 10. Expand
  63. Jan 29, 2019
    Gameplay : 10 (Best combat mechanics of all time with DS3)
    Bosses : 9 ( Epic samurai fights :))
    Story : 7 (Story is not great but it is adequate.)
  64. Dec 19, 2017
    A worthy game in the Demon Souls spirit.
    Just don't stop playing for months when you are in front of a boss. You'll be royally ...
    (Based on a true story ^_^)
  65. May 2, 2018
    Amazing game but definitely some things I hope they change if they ever do a sequel. Probably some of the best combat I've ever seen in an action game unfortunately alot of the late/end/ng++++ game takes the focus away from bettering your skills and pushes you more into the territory of a giant grind to compete against enemies and you quickly get to a point where it's a micromanaging ****Amazing game but definitely some things I hope they change if they ever do a sequel. Probably some of the best combat I've ever seen in an action game unfortunately alot of the late/end/ng++++ game takes the focus away from bettering your skills and pushes you more into the territory of a giant grind to compete against enemies and you quickly get to a point where it's a micromanaging **** fest of spam/ be overpowered or get ran over. The first playthrough and 2nd are exciting and requires you to get better more so than grind and get more powerful. Despite how much I despised the grind I stuck it through, but each time a new game+ mode was added I was shocked to know that the same kind of grind just kept going, eventually they added a couple things that took the load off a bit. Love the game so much that I still went all the way through way of the nioh and even did alot of the abyss floors but I hope they approach the grind differently in a sequel. Some pretty crappy environment textures need to be addressed, a bit too many bonuses and buff/debuffs that take away from the combat, the story was okay, some more enemy variation would be appreciated in a sequel and I honestly think they should move away from the mission stage set up and take you out being in so many damn menus all the time and make everything a little more streamlined and seamless, less crap and filler and more focus on active jutsus/weapon skills, environments, enemy types. As much there is I dislike/would do different, I still adore this game. Played all 3 demos and honestly they were a little more simplistic then the full game and I liked it, they had the complexity where it counted and nothing more. Expand
  66. May 20, 2018
    One of the one-player games whitch i had player ever, it is difficult, and the mechanics are wonderful. If you are a player who likes challenges, you should play it.
  67. Jun 2, 2018
    Nioh was definitely a surprise.. It's not just another Dark Souls rip, it has it's own identity. With perfected combat mechanics and a loot system akin to Diablo, the game is just pure addictive fun. Runs at 60fps at pretty much all times on a standard Ps4 with beautiful graphics too. It's a very difficult game though and will probably turn off a lot of casual gamers from the get-go.
  68. iOS
    Oct 11, 2018
    Nioh could well take over 100 hours if you set out to master its many side missions on top of its tough campaign, but it’s a challenge well worth taking. The way it builds on its most obvious inspirations with a highly refined combat system and an unexpectedly charming, yet gritty style all its own allows it to boldly carve out its own identity, standing as a shining example of what actionNioh could well take over 100 hours if you set out to master its many side missions on top of its tough campaign, but it’s a challenge well worth taking. The way it builds on its most obvious inspirations with a highly refined combat system and an unexpectedly charming, yet gritty style all its own allows it to boldly carve out its own identity, standing as a shining example of what action RPGs can be. Expand
  69. Nov 18, 2018
  70. Dec 25, 2018
    Nioh is an epic, unforgettable adventure carried by a fierce combat system that cleverly balances style and strategy.
  71. Sep 4, 2019
    A game with lots of information and build creations. Good graphics, scenarios, perfect character moveset. Many ways to play building your weapon your way. The game have a selectable scenarios and not all interconnected like BloodBorne, but don't think the game is a "souls". In gameplay is much more.
  72. May 13, 2019
    I got Nioh more than a year after it launched and I can safely say I should have not waited.

The combat is fluid and precise. Each time I died I could accept it as my mistake rather than the game killing me cheaply or due to a bug/flaw. Replayability is also huge! After finishing the main story I never felt like stopping to play as there is so much more to do. Nioh 2 will be a Day

Nioh 2 will be a Day 1 buy for me.
  73. Mar 14, 2019
    This game is from Team Ninja.... TEAM NINJA, yes that Team Ninja, and wow what a good first step into the Soulslike games, love this game so much, maybe even more than Dark Souls if that's even possible, they dropped the ball in the dlc, but the main game itself is so so good, I can not wait for the next title in the series.
  74. Feb 24, 2019
  75. Mar 23, 2019
  76. Apr 29, 2019
  77. Jun 19, 2019
  78. Jun 20, 2020
    Un juego con una historia muy rara, de ahi en fuera la dificultad es muy retadora con agregados para el personaje bastos, bueno y con gran jugabilidad
  79. Feb 15, 2020
    Wie soll man dieses Game bewerten?!?
    Es ist eine Art Souls/Borne Game, es mit diesen Monumenten zu vergleichen wäre jedoch nicht fair.
    Nioh ist schwer und knackig, es bietet viel Raum seinen eigenen Spielstil zu finden und ein nettes Item/Lootsystem. Das Setting ist für mich top auch wenn es an den meisten Orten doch zu dunkel ist. Story ist anfangs etwas sehr konfus aber mit den Stunden
    Wie soll man dieses Game bewerten?!?

Story ist anfangs etwas sehr konfus aber mit den Stunden immer packender.
    Das Gameplay war 2 Durchläufe lang ohne Fehler und immer flüssig, mit einer präzisen Steuerung.

Ich finde es ist dem Hype gerecht.

PS: es ist kein Vergleich zu Dark Souls usw. soll und muss es aber auch nicht sein.
  80. Mar 1, 2021
    Excellent souls like game with fantastic japan art! 160 hours of pleasure! Fantastic combat system, challenging mission and very good music!
  81. May 25, 2020
    A great alternative to the famous Dark Souls franchise, Nioh provides an interesting plot with a likeable protagonist and a variety of characters along the way.

The difficulty is, unlike their FromSoftware rivals, adequate and less punishing than you may expect. The level boss fights are challenging but not frustrating, giving a sense of reward when defeated, with with additional aspect of an AI companion for certain levels adding another dimension to combat. The controls take time to get used to, but once mastered make the game very enjoyable.

The art-style rings true to the aesthetic of the game the developers were going for, with the samurai/ninja emphasis and the range of levels is fairly diverse, with each level incorporating their own "quirks" that make them unique. Levels are not too long and if you are feeling "short changed" with a level, Nioh provides sub-missions that let you take on further challenges to hone in your skills as a samurai.

While I usually struggle with vast amounts of item-collecting and typically caring about the rarity of items, this does probably speak to those "scavenger" type players who love to collect and understand the lore of the items within the game, matching the items to the clear Japanese aesthetic the developers were aiming for. I appreciated the blacksmith options to "soul match" items to level up familiar weaponry ad armour, and the "refashion" option to style your protagonist to your suiting. While to some this may seem over the top, it allows for a broad range of options and likely enhances the "replay-ability" should you choose to explore all aspects of the game.

I was fortunate enough to get this in the PS Plus monthly free games, and I consider myself lucky for this! I am thoroughly enjoying the game and I feel the story, the challenge/reward elements, as well as the possibility of options available make this a fantastic game for anyone who is wanting something along the "Dark Souls" lines but with possibly less frustration, a perhaps clearer narrative and a unique aesthetic.
  82. Aug 5, 2020
    Tons of fun when it lasts. I'm glad i gave this game a second chance, first time i tried I got wrecked but a year later i got good and gave it a another try. Combat is very engaging and challenging but it's fair. It got to the point where I rarely died getting through a level until I got to the boss for a nice challenge.

Map design could've been better, I understand they want to test

Map design could've been better, I understand they want to test people's ability to fight in small spaces and on ledges but it can get very frustrating dying because you fell in water or off a cliff especially after you killed the enemy in your way.

However it got really boring by the third region(for me at least) the enemies stayed the same, their attack patterns never changed. They just set you up against the mutiple enemies to make it a bit more challenging but not interesting.
  83. Mar 13, 2017
    Nioh is the hit that came as a no surprise. The aspects that make it great are seemingly borrowed from a certain game (a game that's also celebrated), but what makes Nioh greater are the things that it adds to the core gameplay. It's criminal and a disservice to say it's just a clone of that certain game, because it isn't.

If you've played hack and slash classics such as Onimusha and

If you've played hack and slash classics such as Onimusha and Ninja Gaiden, Nioh is right up at your alley and more. And more, I say, because every facet of Nioh teems with personality, that, overwhelming as a whole at first, will grab you by the hands and command you to keep playing.

Outside gameplay, Nioh gives you the option to choose between enjoying the game with a steady frame rate and looking at improved visuals--which may enhance your gaming experience depending on your preference. Although these options send a confusing message (because console games don't really give such options until this generation), they are more than welcome in Nioh and other games moving forward.

The only flaw I can think of and that I can pin on Nioh, and this being a personal one, would be the challenging (Japanese) given names that you need to memorize in order to have a fuller grasp of the main narrative. I have nothing against the Japanese culture; in fact, I love their culture--though I am not a (weeabo?)--but the number of characters at play is quite many, that as you go further into the game, you'd find yourself either looking into the character dossier to keep up with the story, or completely ignore who's who and enjoy whatever amount of narrative morsels you have of Nioh.

Overall, Nioh is a solid game deserving of the 9s and 10s critics gave it. The post-release content it will receive (PVP is among them) will only add to the already sumptuous experience that is Nioh. Get it now!
  84. Mar 18, 2017
    It's a good game. The world is real nice looking, classic samurai feel to it. It's kind of like a cross between Souls and Ninja Gaiden with sort of a Diablo 2 sort of loot grind at the end, which is really cool. This game came as a surprise too, wasn't expecting to purchase it but after watching some videos on it I had to give it a go. Really good game, not sure how much longevity itIt's a good game. The world is real nice looking, classic samurai feel to it. It's kind of like a cross between Souls and Ninja Gaiden with sort of a Diablo 2 sort of loot grind at the end, which is really cool. This game came as a surprise too, wasn't expecting to purchase it but after watching some videos on it I had to give it a go. Really good game, not sure how much longevity it has. Hopefully the PvP spices things up a lot! Expand
  85. Jun 27, 2020
    Nioh has good gameplay with a simple story and narrative, an evolution of the status of characters, equipment and skills that are evident. The game is fun. With evolved skills, it’s easier to kill enemies. But it's a lot of fun. The graphics and soundtrack are nothing special. What draws the most attention in the game is to drop items and skills what you can conquer.

Nioh possui uma

Nioh possui uma jogabilidade boa com uma historia e narrativa simples, a evolução do personagem em status,equipamentos e habilidades é evidente o que torna divertido, conforme a evolução o jogo se torna mais fácil. Porém é muito divertido. Os gráficos e trilha sonora são bons nada de especial. O que mais chama atenção no jogo é o drop de itens e as habilidades que você pode conquistar.
  86. Oct 12, 2020
    Nioh successfully takes Fromsoftware's Dark Souls formula and adds a dark feudal Japan aesthetic too it. While there are plenty of Dark Souls clones out on the market, very few of them come close to capturing what makes that series so special. Nioh doesn't QUITE reach those heights, but it comes pretty damn close.
  87. Feb 13, 2020
    It is very difficult for me to rate this game objectively. It has so many features that can be game changers for some, and deal breakers for others, so I am not surprised to see people rating it from anywhere between 4 and 10 (those who gave it 0s and 1s are definitely trolls). So I am rating it primarily on fun factor - my own fun factor, while drawing comparison to the Soulsborne gamesIt is very difficult for me to rate this game objectively. It has so many features that can be game changers for some, and deal breakers for others, so I am not surprised to see people rating it from anywhere between 4 and 10 (those who gave it 0s and 1s are definitely trolls). So I am rating it primarily on fun factor - my own fun factor, while drawing comparison to the Soulsborne games (because - lets face it - it is heavily inspired by those):

For me this game was not very enjoyable and I struggled to finish it. Not because it had technical problems or broken features, but because I personally did not enjoy many of its core features. This was because of several reasons:

1. Level design: I did not like the linear, mission-based levels. I guess I was expecting something more like the Soulsborne level design, instead of choosing Main missions and sub-missions from a map.
    2. Difficulty: somewhat unbalanced. Most mobs are a joke, after the first 1-2 encounters with them. At the same time some bosses are extremely cruel - often requiring you to try them 10 times until you memorize their move-set perfectly, so that you can counter everything the throw at you (and they can still 1-shot you). Some enemies just get color variations at later stages in the game, where their abilities do not change, but they just 1-shot you, if you are not significantly leveled. I like difficult games, I'm a fan of all DS and BB and I usually play any game on hard difficulty setting - but Nioh just seems unfair at times.
    3. Itemization: this games has tons of loot and variety...which is not always a good thing. At some point I stopped caring about the stats on items and just focused on Attack or Defense upgrades, because there are literally a hundred different stats you should keep track of it, and they appear semi-randomly on items. So no, you cannot hope to find a very rare sword drop that suits your style, and stick with it till the end game, because it gets obsolete rather quickly (yes you can Soulmatch/reforge it, but this is just another system that adds unneeded complexity to the game, in my opinion)
    4. Many different skills, for every weapon: Some would argue that this is good thing, leading to numerous build possibilities. Unfortunately, there are 1-2 OP builds in the game which make everything else look pathetic. So I personally would prefer more simple but effective skill system - or at least make the skills valid for all weapons, so that we are not locked to a certain choice.

Bottom line - at some point I stopped playing because all of those things bothered me. But I understand that what I found to be CONS, might be PROS for some people. It just diminished the fun factor for me.
  88. Mar 19, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best surprises of the last few years. When I started Nioh I had that same feeling I had when I impulse bought Demon's Souls. "How could they only have two copies of this game on launch day?! This is amazing." It truly is amazing. I've poured about 100 hours into it so far and beaten NG+ (Way of the Strong).

It's the best mix of Ninja Giaden, SoulsBorne gameplay, and Diablo's loot system (I swear I thought of this before I read an official review say the same thing). Combat is fast, tactical, and fun. It can get a bit repetitive, but enemies have enough of a variety of different moves that it's not the same move every time.

Even with Onmyo Magic making things easier in the NG+, I still find myself messing up a combo or misreading an enemy's combo and find myself dead. The multiplayer mechanic, as it is now, is unique. I'm looking forward to when full PvP is implemented. This is truly a return to form for Team Ninja. My only gripe is that the story is a bit convoluted and became an afterthought in the middle. I picked up caring about it toward the end when I actually understood what was going on. On the same note, bosses were a bit hit or miss. Some were just too easy to figure out the first time you fought them.
  89. Mar 14, 2017
    As a Bloodborne Fan, I really like Nioh.
    In many ways it's like Bloodborne but with a lot of uniqueness.
    STORY: A PLUS for the Mix of Japanese Feudal history and Japanese Folklore. The story of the Main character could be a little better, yet, it's entertaining. 8/10 GAMEPLAY: It's the Strongest Point of the Game. It's Challenging, Unforgiven, Methodical, but the most important,
    As a Bloodborne Fan, I really like Nioh.
    In many ways it's like Bloodborne but with a lot of uniqueness.

GAMEPLAY: It's the Strongest Point of the Game. It's Challenging, Unforgiven, Methodical, but the most important, it's FAIR. It did the Souls Games homework! The KI-Pulse system (fast stamina regeneration) is annoying at beginning, but after you learn to use it, the game clicks and becomes very enjoyable! The variety of Weapons and Armours together with Armour and Weapon Forging, Fusing and Visual Changing is a fresh addition to the Souls Formula. 10/10

GRAPHIC: Not the best looking game ever, but there are beautiful places with mix of Fields, Castles, Caves in Night, Day, Rain conditions is very pleasant. The level design is carefully crafted. Also, you can choose between Better Graphics, Better FPS or Mix of both. For a fast game like this which precision is necessary, it's really a welcome feature. Any game could have this option. 9/10

MUSIC AND SOUND: Very nice mix of Japanese Old and New Style musics. It could have more variations and sometimes it becomes repetitive, but nothing that bothers while you're playing. The sound effect is also good, and the concept of using Japanese actors/actress for Japanese voice is perfect. 9/10

CONCLUSION: A must have for any Souls Games Fan or People who likes challenges. 9/10
  90. Mar 13, 2017
    Fans of Bloodborne and other From Software games will likely enjoy Nioh as it has a great deal in common with the formula of these games. It however, also does many things differently.

Nioh features talent trees focused on 5 weapon types, ninjutsu, and onmyo magic which skill points can be allocated to based on stats and weapon usage. This means that you can specialize in specific weapon types and cater your build towards your playstyle. I personally focused on strength and played the game using Axes to smash my enemies.

Another major difference from From games is in the loot system. Nioh has a Diablo-esque loot system where weapons and gear drop from enemies with random bonuses and rarity levels. These items can be upgraded and the bonuses rerolled at the Blacksmith to help reduce RNG. However, the cost of doing this and frequency of gear drops means its almost always better to just wait for better drops. I enjoyed this system but many others hate the bulk of useless items you get.

The biggest difference and strength of Nioh is the combat. Combat is fluid and skill based with dodging, ki management through timed ki pulses, and blocking. The better you get at the game the more the difficulty plummets as you take advantage of many game breaking abilities. Magic in particular has an ability Sloth that slows down enemy movement and attacks including bosses. This often trivializes some encounters, but it is your choice to use such abilities.

The story of Nioh is about William Adams, an Irish pirate who goes to Japan to retrieve his stolen spirit guardian. He gets caught up in the machinations of Tokugawa Ieyasu and ehlps unify Japan through historical events such as the battle of Sekigahara. The game has many historically accurate events and characters with some creative license taken as the game contains demons and undead monsters. Overall, the story was interesting but easily ignorable and confusing for those unfamiliar with Japanese history.

The biggest negative factor of Nioh is the enemy variety and level design. By the third of 6 regions in the game you have fought basically every new enemy you will encounter. Levels are filled with the same enemy Yokai and zombies and it will often get boring doing levels. The bosses however are really good and for the most part unique. Boss fights are where the game truly shines. Levels often feel samey as many feature typical Japanese village settings and mountain caves. Some areas like the Ninja mansion are visually interesting however.

In conclusion, Nioh is a fast paced and fluid game from Team Ninja that is a definite must for those who enjoy games such as Bloodborne or who are interested in Japanese history and mythology. The game features a gameplay mode that locks the frame rate at 60 fps at the cost of resolution and this helps the game maintain its fast paced and fluid combat. PVP is being added in April and there are 3 planned DLC story packs that will hopefully add much more enemy variety.
  91. Mar 14, 2017
    Absolutely refreshing, engagingly satisfying and challenging combat that keeps you clamoring for more the more hours you play and the more you hone your skills. The setting is 10/10 with a very charming, enchanting and sometimes very dark mix of Japan's folklore and history to create a believable and memorable romp through feudal Japan with nothing but your blade and your swordman's spiritAbsolutely refreshing, engagingly satisfying and challenging combat that keeps you clamoring for more the more hours you play and the more you hone your skills. The setting is 10/10 with a very charming, enchanting and sometimes very dark mix of Japan's folklore and history to create a believable and memorable romp through feudal Japan with nothing but your blade and your swordman's spirit to guide you......the dangerous and visceral world of Nioh is one of technical combat with Japan's best weapons, nightmares and fantasies all rolled into a supremely satisfying package.

It's rarity/RNG based gear system and Japanese setting make for a refreshingly new take on the souls-like formula that will leave you wanting more. Although it's repeated enemy designs and a few certain peculiar mechanics at times do take some of the shine off of an otherwise very well thought out and executed title, its no so much that it comes close to being a deal breaker on purchasing this game........especially if you're a fan of the Soulsbonre, or Ninja Gaiden series which would make this a must buy no questions asked.
  92. Mar 15, 2017
    Loved the level designs, boss designs, the loot system, the co-op and the amazing gameplay. Music was a missed opportunity and could have been better. The main campaign got a little too easy near the end (despite the high level requirements). However, the twilight missions and post game content is difficult enough to keep any hardcore gamer occupied. The game is huge as well. Ton's ofLoved the level designs, boss designs, the loot system, the co-op and the amazing gameplay. Music was a missed opportunity and could have been better. The main campaign got a little too easy near the end (despite the high level requirements). However, the twilight missions and post game content is difficult enough to keep any hardcore gamer occupied. The game is huge as well. Ton's of content to keep you occupied for days or weeks. Expand
  93. Mar 15, 2017
    I am a fan of the Soulsborne series and have played all of them. It's easy to say that Nioh IS another Dark Souls game, however, it is NOT a Dark Souls clone. Nioh is unique on its own with the combat system, theme, looting, etc, but it is also HARD. I definitely enjoyed the game very much and would recommend it over Dark Souls 3, but Bloodborne is still the better game.
  94. Mar 18, 2017
    So far it is filling the Dark Souls ich quite nicely. I don't like how you have to chi blast when you use stam, I find this awkward after getting used to how dark souls did it throughout the series. but I am sure I will get used to it.
  95. Mar 21, 2017
    Initially, told that it is a Dark Souls clone but played it and can say it is a game on its own. Wow such difficult yet fun game. Love the incorporation of Japanese folk lore in the game along with some dashes of Japanese history. If you wanna learn about Japan, play this game. Or try making your character look like kenshin himura. A potential nominee for GOTY 2017
  96. Mar 22, 2017
    I love nioh, but it's not perfect. A japanese game of the sengoku period, with sekigahara, Ieyasu, Mitsunari, even Nobunaga Oda. I think the only bad part of this game are the enemies. Always the same enemies... But the game is awesome.
  97. Jun 26, 2020
    Not a particular fan of the genres because it will leave me frustrated for the duration of the game, although the story is nice and I love the idea that you can use different types of weapon, enemy are challenging and the system is straightforward and simple to understand.
  98. Jun 20, 2020
    Brillant, challenging at it's best, can be frustrating at times, but it Is how supposed to be. A real gem.
  99. Jan 25, 2020
    Seemed like a good game, but has way too much grinding for me to be able to make any progress.
  100. Sep 6, 2020
    No es un sistema de combate, es EL sistema de combate.

JUGABILIDAD: Así, tal cual el titulo. Los combates son excelentes: los ataques y defensas, el esquivar, el "bailar" con tu oponente. El sistema de posiciones no es solo funcional, sino fantástico y le da una variedad al combate, al tener que decidir con cuál posición es conveniente atacar a cada enemigo en específico. El
    No es un sistema de combate, es EL sistema de combate.

JUGABILIDAD:
    Así, tal cual el titulo.

El clásico sistema de stamina (Ki) está bien implementado, además de que la recuperación del mismo usando R1 en el momento indicado es un buen toque. Además, la gran cantidad de ítems, y objetos utilizables dan aun más complejidad.

En Nioh, la asignación de botones se siente más perfecta de lo que había experimentado en mucho tiempo. Es muy orgánico. El control se siente espectacular y hace que cada batalla se convierta e una delicia de jugabilidad.

Las batallas contra espectros le dan un buen sabor al gameplay, y terminan por volverse adictivas para probar las mejoras de nuestro personaje.

El esquema de las sub misiones está también bien implementado y, contrario a lo que podría parecer, no se siente repetitivo en ningún momento.
    La reutilización de los Boss no me molesta puesto que ocurre únicamente en las sub misiones y misiones crepúsculo. Así que es totalmente opcional: una especia de New Game+ adelantado.

Como puntos negativos tenemos que la AI aveces es un poco torpe, y que el manejo del inventario es un poco caótico. Pero nada que no podamos tolerar.

GRÁFICOS:
    Nioh no pretende sorprender por su hiperrealismo sino por su gran diseño artístico visual. Los escenarios, cinemáticas y personajes son piezas que encajan perfectamente una con otra.

Eso sí: la falta de mayor detalle gráfico me resultó especialmente molesta tratándose del agua, ya que cuesta un poco de trabajo verificar su profundidad para saber si podemos o no caminar por la costa (esto en misiones muy específicas, pero hay que mencionarlo) Y hay algunas áreas con una visibilidad reducida por culpa de un mal trabajo en zonas de niebla.
    Por tanto, tenemos algunos escenarios muy buenos y otros mas bien regulares.

La narrativa es... extraña. Por llamarla de cierta forma. Honestamente, la trama no me ha quedado nada clara.

SONIDO:
    Probablemente su apartado más descuidado.
    Si bien, la música que suena al enfrentarnos a los temidos Jefes es épica, aquella presente en los niveles es todo lo contrario.

Los efectos de sonido están bien, así como las voces.

INNOVACIÓN:
    El juego toma prestado elementos de otras franquicias, pero su sistema de combate es tan increíble y bien realizado que no queda duda de que es la piedra angular de Nioh. Ninguno de los juegos con que Nioh ha sido comparado tiene un sistema ten pulido, adictivo y sólido.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 100 Critic Reviews

1. games(TM)
    May 26, 2017
    Challenging, beautiful and unique. [Issue#105, p.82]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Apr 11, 2017
    The small, scattered levels live in the shadows of the Souls/Bloodborne worlds. Otherwise, Nioh matches - and occasionally surpasses - FromSoftware's genre giants. [Apr 2017, p.77]
  3. CD-Action
    Apr 5, 2017
    After a series of letdowns Team Ninja returns to form it displayed with Ninja Gaiden Black. Nioh is a variation on the Souls series, and although it is not as intriguing story wise, its gameplay is much more enjoyable. [04/2017, p.46]