6.1

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Apr 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a reimagination of the classic Oddworld Abe's Exoddus, Oddworld Soulstorm is a side-scroller indie game packed with lots of hard puzzles, stealth sections and hidden areas to discover. You'll die lots of times trying to figure out how to advance or solve a puzzle, but it is a fun game nonetheless, especially if you are a fan of the series or you have experience with this kind of games. The graphics are excelent but not expectacular. It's an improvement of what was seen in "New n' Tasty", but it isn't something that will impress a lot of people. The cinematics are phenomenal though. The story is more serious and extense than the classic Exoddus, which is also a good point in my book. While I find the UI kind of weird, it is functional and I ended up getting used to it. Apart from the bugs and glitches that the devs need to fix ASAP, the gameplay is most of the time great and similar to the classic games of the series, with the addition of some moves like the double jump, and the new crafting system and the ability to make your followers help you fight by giving them the items you craft, which can help a lot in certain sections. The variety of the weapons the enemies carry is greater than what was seen in Exoddus, and the new items and the ways you can use them to deal with the enemies, advance or solve puzzles are a fun addition in my opinion, but some might not like it. Despite it flaws, it is overall a great game with lots of dedication and love poured into it. I'd love to give it a 9, but as it is now, the bugs and glitches are being a big issue for a lot of people. Hopefully the devs will fix them quick.

SPOILERS: The only section I felt it was bad, was the fight with "mama Slig". It was very frustrating since it needs you to use a very specIfic item to beat it, which is not obvious at first glance and you need to discover a hidden area to get the ingredients to craft it.
  2. Apr 9, 2021
    It is OK ... but nothing too exciting.
    I guess the best way to describe it is that it is a really good game to play if you have no other games to play and while waiting for a few heavy hitters.
  3. Apr 9, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oddworld: Soulstorm follows on the events of Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (New ‘n’ Tasty). The graphics, character models and environments have been improved 10 fold on it’s predecessor, and the cutscenes look beautiful, with great attention to detail. The story is engaging with some funny dialogue here and there too, but I think the script could have been better in places. The voice acting in the cutscenes is entertaining and mostly true to Oddworld’s unique style - but the amateur cameo YouTube voice overs in-game don’t fit at all, and distort the immersion. The Gameplay:

The game itself was quite buggy upon release; with clunky controls, wacky hit boxes, unresponsive enemies and Mudokon followers, sound issues and crafted items sometimes not working at all. This I feel has unfortunately damaged Soulstorm’s chances at making a great first impression on new players and returning long-time fans of the series. The levels themselves vary in size and difficulty, with some very expansive levels such as Necrum, and unforgiving tower defence-style rescue missions. Some of the environments stay true to Oddworld’s legacy, such as the Slig Barracks’ grotesquely beautiful scenery, and Necrum’s haunting blue mines. Phat Station was by far my favourite level of the game; with fair difficulty, varying platforming segments and a true Exoddus-feel to it. Crafting was an interesting addition to the series, when it worked. Whilst it helped compensate for the Slig’s increased intelligence, allowing them to now look up and down... It somewhat took away the vulnerable essence of Abe, who took down Rupturefarms without the aid of flamethrowers and Flammable Brew. It wasn’t a terrible addition as in some areas it works well. No Quicksave. This was a really handy feature not only in New ‘n’ Tasty, but in the original Abe’s Exoddus too. This is not present in Soulstorm, and you must rely on the checkpoints alone. Annoyingly, a lot of checkpoints are either in questionable locations (either direct lines of attack, or before vending machines to stock up on), so the only way to save your progress before entering a particularly challenging segment is to return back to a previous checkpoint and deactivate it. Some locations are no longer part of the story (Mudanchee, Mudomo, Bonewerx), and for the most part, it makes sense why those trials were not included; they were essentially filler content in the original PS1 game (they only had 9 months to release it!). However, It feels like major parts of the story are missing. Necrum Mines presumably still digs up Mudokon bones, but there’s very little mention in the story. Instead, Abe must explore the mines to find “The Keeper” - seemingly now ignoring that his dead ancestor’s bones are being ground up for the brew. Tear extractors make a reappearance in the brewery, but there’s no story reference to them, so new players wouldn’t know the relevance of them.

There is a disappointingly low variety of creatures and enemies in the game, with it heavily focused on Sligs. Scrabs and Paramites are no more, Fleeches have even been seemingly retconned (and they were the most terrifying part of Exoddus!). Instead, we’ve been introduced to “Sleeches”, which have a very basic model, and are almost non-threatening entirely.

Overall, Oddworld: Soulstorm is an ambitious sequel to New ‘n’ Tasty. Quite possibly over ambitious in some areas, with sometimes too much going on, or mechanics that just don’t feel right (I’m looking at you, tower defence/climbing levels!). The cinematics and story are engaging and beautifully crafted, but it’s the game’s actual gameplay that lets it down. I wish I could pick up the game each time psyched to play the next level, but I just dread them and what ever they may throw at you next. It’s quite possibly the first Oddworld game I won’t replay once beating it, and that’s quite sad for me as I love the Series and what it stands for and symbolises... But once is enough for me. I hope Lorne and the team still obtain great success from this title, and I hope they can continue Abe’s story.

Pros:
    > Beautiful graphics, cutscenes and characters
    > Interesting soundtrack
    > Long playthrough - 20ish hours
    > 2.9D gameplay works well for its style

Cons:
    > Very buggy/glitchy upon release ~ Questionable checkpoint placements
    > Clunky controls ~ Double jump doesn’t really fit the style ~ Hard to control Abe sometimes ~ Crafting isn’t entirely user friendly > Bad voice acting in-game ~ Mudokon voices ~ Broadcasts (some even mispronounce Mudokon!)
    > Level Design ~ Mudokon Ladder Levels are tedious ~ Lack of Quicksave like in previous games ~ Disappointing variety of enemies I love you Oddworld, this was a difficult write up, but I am still a huge fan of the series and look forward to see where Abe ends up.
    - Josh
  4. Apr 16, 2021
    I was really hyped for this game, as I absolutely love the the original PS1 titles. New 'n' Tasty showed how it should be done, but Soulstorm... It's an utterly terrible experience. It has completely overhauled gameplay, Abe has an inventory, a crafting system, time limited chanting, Chant suppressors will now remove you from already posessed enemies. And there is much, much more newI was really hyped for this game, as I absolutely love the the original PS1 titles. New 'n' Tasty showed how it should be done, but Soulstorm... It's an utterly terrible experience. It has completely overhauled gameplay, Abe has an inventory, a crafting system, time limited chanting, Chant suppressors will now remove you from already posessed enemies. And there is much, much more new stuff.
    It may be a cool game, but it is an absolute disgrace for the series.
  5. Apr 21, 2021
    Its a great idea but a poorly designed game, oddworlds feel like a ps2 game because of how they try making levels harder than they should be to pad out play time. Not only that, the movements and actions of your character arw very delayed and or slippery. I hate feeling like the games mechanics are keeping me from loving this game. This game is equivalent to a fast food burger that looksIts a great idea but a poorly designed game, oddworlds feel like a ps2 game because of how they try making levels harder than they should be to pad out play time. Not only that, the movements and actions of your character arw very delayed and or slippery. I hate feeling like the games mechanics are keeping me from loving this game. This game is equivalent to a fast food burger that looks great but taste ok Expand
  6. Apr 8, 2021
    Exoddus in ps1 has been my favourite oddworld title for over 15 years but this game could very well be my new favourite
  7. Apr 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Putting the game mechanics and bugs to one side for this review. For me the huge disappointment was the game itself. When I first played abes exodus as a young lad I was amazed with just how much better it was in my opinion to abes odyssey. I was expecting the same from going from new n tasty to soulstorm but how disappointed I was.
    No Paramites No Scrabs
    No Glukons No Vykers The only enemy in game is fleeches slogs and sligs and the only enemy you can possess is sligs.
    The game was just so repetitive and so boring! Now I know this game is not a remake of abes exodus but on a comparison to a very similar story I wasn’t just expecting the things above. I was expecting more. £44.99..... what a waste
  8. Apr 9, 2021
    Amazing experience after such a long wait, highly recommend to fans of the series and to anyone that’s a fan of action platformers. Fans of the original Abe’s odyssey or exodus will feel right at home playing this new interpretation of the story. Can’t wait to see what the people over at Oddworld Inhabitants come out with next.
  9. Apr 11, 2021
    Graphics: 9/10 I love them. Though it is the usual with this engine (silly ragdolls from time to time). The soul from Oddworld is a bit gone, sadly. Sound: Too much WHOOOOOAAAAAM and BZZZZZEEEEEEUUUUGH. Oddworld was about subtlety. Explosions sound fine, as well as weapons and environmental doodads in general. But if I want to listen to epic, bombastic music I'd play Battlefield. Where isGraphics: 9/10 I love them. Though it is the usual with this engine (silly ragdolls from time to time). The soul from Oddworld is a bit gone, sadly. Sound: Too much WHOOOOOAAAAAM and BZZZZZEEEEEEUUUUGH. Oddworld was about subtlety. Explosions sound fine, as well as weapons and environmental doodads in general. But if I want to listen to epic, bombastic music I'd play Battlefield. Where is the subtlety gone ? Tracks matching the setting ? They all sound the same now.
    Gameplay: I side with the Sligs. Absolutely.
    Mudokons that aren't throwing what they're given despite being set to aggressive behaviour and refuse to get into lockers (last one fixed by now per patch) don't deserve to live on. Especially after that level where you open the cells and Sligs start spawning left and right and your pals refuse to throw some candy at them... 'twas the first time I rooted for the Sligs picking off the fleeing Mudokons in the background one by one (after trying to save them all for a good 17 times).
    Controls are finicky, especially Abe's vertical jumping with the left joystick (somehow worse that New n tasty).
    Materials could be slightly more available in containers.
    I love the puzzles but not every damn screen.
    Have some jump and run segments where we only have to jump and run. And not search for the one switch while avoiding Sligs, Zappers and 12 hazards at once. Its too much after some time.
    Also, every level feels the same. A good game with a challenging premise
  10. Apr 10, 2021
    Buggy experience ,sloppy control.
    Game achievements are terribly hard ,
    If you want to get mad, play this game.
  11. Apr 9, 2021
    This game is a lot of fun. Challenging. And the story is excellent. They good news, is I got two games for the price of one. PS4 gave me a free path to the PS5 once I get a PS5 console. I dislike the trolls that come in, never having played the game they are reviewing, and bomb scores, harming people's lives because they think it is funny.
  12. Apr 8, 2021
    This sequel is a great place to start for the upcoming quintology. Challenging puzzles, great atmosphere, dark. This is a great return for our Mudokon friend who has had a 7 year absence from games since New n Tasty came out in 2014.

We really need to support this great independent developer. The universe it created is so exciting and rich and unique. If we can push this on the charts, it’ll mean we will get lots of the intended new games that are planned in a quintology. A franchise that started on the PS1, and is back again and needs all of us. It’ll mean we get more independence for them to not need huge publishers to finance their ambitions. And that’s a win for all of us, as they’re a breath of fresh air in the industry.
  13. Apr 13, 2021
    I love this game so much! I'm like in 1997 year))
    Highly recommended! 10/10
  14. Apr 9, 2021
    New oddworld Game and new taste, graphic, desing. Abe return in his glory. FUN FUN FUN
  15. Apr 8, 2021
    The best oddworld game by far. Congratulations Lorne Lanning and team for this masterpiece.
  16. Jun 1, 2021
    I am rating this game as a 1. I am sitting here staring at Abe floating on a piece of terrain that I cannot progress further past. There is no start button or obvious menu selection to go to last check point, my only choice at this moment is to close the game application and relaunch it and have to sit through the god awful introduction that is pseudo unskippable because the start buttonI am rating this game as a 1. I am sitting here staring at Abe floating on a piece of terrain that I cannot progress further past. There is no start button or obvious menu selection to go to last check point, my only choice at this moment is to close the game application and relaunch it and have to sit through the god awful introduction that is pseudo unskippable because the start button pauses it making you think it froze and the skip button is minuscule on the screen to which you have to hold it to skip the cutscene EVEN IF YOU HAVE STARTED THE GAME.

The UI leaves much to be desired , it appears as if they wanted to go for a horizon zero dawn style but failed miserably in their attempt. I am being so harsh because I loved the odd World Series on PlayStation and Xbox, the beautiful and memorable environments and the subtle interactions that didn’t hold your hand but required you to problem solve in a creative and fun way.

The environments in this game look worse in my opinion than the PS era game , they are bland with flat colors , the 3D animation is choppy and the controls are laggy. This game is a poor attempt at nostalgia and a cheap cash grab.
  17. Apr 8, 2021
    It’s come a long way since Abe was first introduced on the PlayStation in 1997 in Oddworld: Abes Oddysee. The subsequent sequels were met with mixed reviews and seemed to change course from the original story.
    But since Abes beginning was retold in New n Tasty back in 2014, a truly original sequel has finally come upon us with Oddworld: Soulstorm. This is a spectacularly beautiful game. Stunning visuals and a gripping story that makes you want to know what’s going to happen next. The early cut scenes foreshadow events to come towards the end of the quintoligy, and you know this adventure has only just begun. The replay value is going to be something I’m going to be enjoying for a good few years, and should be in time for the next chapter in the battle to save Oddworld.
  18. Apr 8, 2021
    Lemme be honest with this as someone who has played the original games growing up.
    The only edge Soulstorm has over Exoddus, is the graphics. Thats it.
    All the Glukkons(Dripik, Aslik and Phleg) were replaced by basic "villain" ones that lack personality and design. Exoddus didnt just have fun mechanics and level design, the atmospheres were rich, beautiful but also had a scary feeling
    The only edge Soulstorm has over Exoddus, is the graphics. Thats it.
    Exoddus didnt just have fun mechanics and level design, the atmospheres were rich, beautiful but also had a scary feeling to it. Beautiful backgrounds and amazing audio design. Sure the controls are outdated by todays standards, but Soulstorms controls also dont work at times when they should.
    The fact that Sligs are the only possessable enemies is a joke, the fun Glukkon puzzles where you command sligs and need to get out of dangerous situations are gone. The scrab puzzles where they fight each other are gone, the paramite puzzles where they work in groups are gone, Fleeches are gone, ENTIRE levels like Bonewerkz are gone too.
    Im the end Soulstorm might look fancier, but despite its name lacks the soul and care that the original had.
    It went from a fun trip with explosive possessible farts to a 8 hour experience of same-ish levels and Sligs that feel nothing but repetetive.
    Seriously disappointed. Oddworld is dead.

Also crafting and double jumping were a mistake
  19. Apr 10, 2021
    Exoddus (23 year old game): soulful, quirky, charming, humorous, great music, great cutscenes (and you can skip them), tight controls.

Soulstorm (0 year old game): soulless, tedious, melodramatic, ugly, crappy music, crappy unskippable cutscenes, floaty controls.
  20. May 16, 2021
    Oddworld inhabitants really nailed Oddworld Soulstorm, Mollucks design is flawless.
  21. Apr 10, 2021
    Garbage item throwing simulator game, full of bugs and crappy mechanics like broken checkpoint system. Developers need to find a job more suited for them because they suck at making games.
  22. Apr 8, 2021
    another crap reimagined like that **** from resident evil 2 and 3, but that does abe now he can look for items looks fortnite well double jump is not good honestly, new n tasty was perfect "faithful" with new stuff, soulstorm and completely different i think that you had to reimagine something of the original game always remaining faithful because exoddus also had interesting things I'manother crap reimagined like that **** from resident evil 2 and 3, but that does abe now he can look for items looks fortnite well double jump is not good honestly, new n tasty was perfect "faithful" with new stuff, soulstorm and completely different i think that you had to reimagine something of the original game always remaining faithful because exoddus also had interesting things I'm really disappointed I would never have expected it from the oddworld saga ps: stop reimagining video games Expand
  23. Apr 8, 2021
    ITS **** BUGGY **** who ever likes this game is dumb, becouse its trash game and **** bottle throwing simulator
  24. Apr 7, 2021
    Al principio parecía divertido e interesante pero se volvió aburrido repetitivo me lleve desepcion con la jugabilidad y los gráficos no están a la altura Mejor descarguen days gone este no lo vale
  25. Apr 7, 2021
    Mecánicas totalmente oxidadas que decir de la jugabilidad está muy por debajo de lo que se mostraba, se agradece que lo regalen con PS plus pero es un fiasco no gasten memoria
  26. Apr 7, 2021
    -Horribly buggy
    -clunky controls with gamepad, if you are on PC then keyboard is borderline unusable
    -bottle throwing simulator -this 2.9D is pretty awful imo -jumping is very meh, really, double jump? and even that is pretty poop -crafting doesn't suits this style of game, and also pretty boringly made here Oh and exodus was supposed to be rushed (thats why they made this with
    -Horribly buggy
    -bottle throwing simulator
    -this 2.9D is pretty awful imo
    -jumping is very meh, really, double jump? and even that is pretty poop
    -crafting doesn't suits this style of game, and also pretty boringly made here

Oh and exodus was supposed to be rushed (thats why they made this with different story), this is even more so. It had so beautiful atmosphere and levels that this is absolutly missing (I mean like art style and level designs).
  27. Apr 8, 2021
    Игра разочаровала во всем. По ощущениям сделана за 3 копейки, играется и выглядит намного хуже предыдущих частей. Куча багов, отвратный перевод на русский (даже пробелы не везде стоят), скучный геймплей на скучных серых локациях. Игра подтормаживает при страшненьких спрайтовых взрывах на пятой плойке:) Даже за бесплатно не советую скачивать и тратить время на это недоразумение.Игра разочаровала во всем. По ощущениям сделана за 3 копейки, играется и выглядит намного хуже предыдущих частей. Куча багов, отвратный перевод на русский (даже пробелы не везде стоят), скучный геймплей на скучных серых локациях. Игра подтормаживает при страшненьких спрайтовых взрывах на пятой плойке:) Даже за бесплатно не советую скачивать и тратить время на это недоразумение.
  28. Apr 7, 2021
    very buggy, couldn't get past the first level. it was a very bad experience
  29. Apr 7, 2021
    Ni por dónde empezar el juego prometía algo fresco pero simplemente los controles no están a la altura los gráficos parecen de de PS2 como es posible que en ps5 no pueda correrlo a 4k decepcionado
  30. Apr 9, 2021
    No tiene voces en castellano por lo que no da nostalgia de la voz de abe. por lo que no sirve. son 4 frases que los ratas no han querido doblar
  31. Apr 11, 2021
    Played on ps5 and I love it, the story is worth it
  32. Apr 8, 2021
    annoying as **** useless dialog, keep doing the same thing over and over, graphic assets that you can find on unity store
  33. Jun 19, 2021
    This game is graphically horrible, terrible gameplay and a lot of bugs and glitches not worth the price
  34. Apr 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a very good game, but for me it was very difficult, that frustrates me Expand
  35. Apr 9, 2021
    This game is a phenomenal masterpiece. Ever since it’s announcement I have eagerly awaited and watched the development closely. The art style is beautifully detailed, the gameplay is a kind throwback to its original tale (Oddworld: Abe’s Exodus) that has been expanded on to bring it into a new era of gaming. The story has maturely developed from its root, adding a new depth and element ofThis game is a phenomenal masterpiece. Ever since it’s announcement I have eagerly awaited and watched the development closely. The art style is beautifully detailed, the gameplay is a kind throwback to its original tale (Oddworld: Abe’s Exodus) that has been expanded on to bring it into a new era of gaming. The story has maturely developed from its root, adding a new depth and element of mystery to where the future will take the series. Despite a few minor bugs on launch, patches were extremely swiftly provided to improve quality of life making this game a total 10/10. Not seeing this game through to the end would be a big mistake on any gamers part. The new gameplay elements, crafting of equipment and fluid movement only emphasises the great growth of this title, and the potential of future sequels. Thank you to the developers at Oddworld Inhabitants for this amazing experience. Expand
  36. Apr 10, 2021
    Great game, a good break from all the heavy combat based games that I usually play
  37. Apr 11, 2021
    Easier than previous titles as crafting allows a more personal solution to puzzles than other play styles. Amazing story, fantastic graphics, well written and full of lore, deception and chanting. 10/10
  38. Apr 12, 2021
    Being an original fan since 1997 ( I was 10) and my first experience being on the first PS Demo CD. I would like to start out this review by saying the reason I give this game a 10/10 is not due to nostalgia.
    I would also like to preface this review by theorizing that the people who are trashing it, really have no idea what this game is truly about or don't understand the soul of what The team at Oddworld inhabitants is trying to produce. I will say I was a bit stunned during the beginning few hours to see HOW MUCH the story in itself has changed, but after about 30 hours in the game I can honestly say that I appreciate it a bit more than the rushed Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus. True there have been slight gameplay bugs I have noticed, but like any other game now-a-days i'm sure that stuff will be patched out ( It wasn't game-breaking, and honestly more often than not really funny to see). As far as the sound quality goes, I think its great, the chaotic nature of 80 things being activated at once or explosions everywhere adds to the excitement and chaos of certain situations, Graphics are beautiful, and the team has come a long way since even new and tasty. I highly recommend this game series for anyone who likes dark themes and difficult gameplay(difficult if you wanna save them all mind you). The game for me was a beautiful rework of one of my favorite games, anyone who gives this game a bad review needs to take a step back and re-evaluate, because Lorne Lanning and Oddworld Inhabitants, In my honest opinion, are still some of the best world, character, and game developers left.

Gameplay 10/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Environments 10/10
    Sound Quality9/10 ( just adjust default setting so its equalized better and its 10/10)

Overall one of the best games I've played in the past few years, with all these battleground games and cookie cutter **** AAA titles, its refreshing to jump back in Oddworld and play a REAL game again.
  39. Apr 15, 2021
    I enjoyed it. It was fun to play. The story was interesting. The enemies are great.
  40. May 8, 2021
    Well, that was quite an experience! I finally finished playing and I'm absolutely in love! It really was a pleasant surprise.
    This new story is so much better, and the way it's presented? The cut scenes look gorgeous! Character design is amazing. Each one has their own personality and they feel more alive than ever. It was great to just see them talk to each other. Abe's new face is adorable omg. They're all great!
    The surroundings are not as colorful and various as new'n'tasty, but it has it's own atmosphere and fits the story that needed to be told. Although I feel like that level with fleeches and their new design could be more interesting. I never really liked their old design so I'm neutral on that.
    There are soundtracks that I really liked, although I feel like in previous games they felt more unique.
    Now about the gameplay. Yes, there were bugs, which was disappointing, but I hope it'll get fixed. The game itself is not easy, and the controlls take some time to get used to, and I get that it was hard to balance all the new features, and it caused mixed reviews. It needs some polishing. But I enjoyed playing. I liked that there's much more variety in gameplay and new details. Chanting, lighting your way through the dark places, crafting different tools, smarter sligs... Oh and the fact that you don't have to kill sligs? I've always wanted that! Sligs deserve to live! :)
    So, overall, it was really great, I'm a big fan! It was worth the wait, and i hope that we'll be seeing more Oddworld in the future.
  41. May 21, 2021
    Here's how it is.

Soulstorm is a 2D platformer. It is very different from Abes Exoddus - but then, the series has been all over the place tone-wise. It is considerably more polished than New N Tasty which felt cheap and amateur. However, I say that looking ahead - right now, they need desperately to get thru a few more patches to iron out glitches. There are a thousand and one.
    Here's how it is.

Assuming they'll get the majority sorted, the cutscenes are extremely well done and the overall TONE of this Oddworld experience is the most solid it's been in a long time. Once again, it feels like the series has a future.

The levels are not as varied as one might like but it hits its stride later on. The very late levels are disappointing and the early ones are dull but the middle levels are fantastic.

Controls range from adequate to excellent.

People are complaining about checkpoints - however, the game's principle appeal is its difficulty. It is really **** hard in some areas. Say what you will, but Quicksave all but kills the difficulty in these games and they've wisely taken it out. New N Tasty had no sense of peril, consequence or tension because it was so unbelievably easy to quicksave. No obstacle mattered. In this game, checkpoints are fixed and there is a sense of accomplishment finishing a section.

With that said, difficulty is all over the place - in some areas it needs to be adjusted and Im sure that'll come.

Sound is in some areas a big improvement and in others weak.

Storyline feels substantial and is an improvement over various other Oddworld games.

In-game animation has improved a great deal. There are improvements to be made but it's lost most of the sloppy feeling from New N Tasty.

Crafting is fine. The series has always introduced new mechanics per-game and this feels logical within game world. Those who think it isnt "fun" would do well to remember the emotion mechanics in Exoddus. Or the whistling in Oddysee/NNT. Nobody would argue those were "fun"...

Overall - accept that it's not Exoddus. Enjoy the world. Expect glitches and if you want this game to give you a sense of accomplishment....save every mudokon. Thats where it comes into its own.

Oddworld is on a good trajectory now which is the main thing as a long time fan. They need to keep going with Abe. It feels they might finally be in control of the ship and the tone and all they need to do is press on with more titles.
  42. Jun 28, 2021
    A great game and a must for any fan of challenging puzzle platforms! You will notice there is quite a lot of review bombing going on. To really get a good idea what the game is about, read multiple reviews from different professionals. There is also a lot of talk about bugs: most of them are already history.

The great: story, characters, cutscenes The good: puzzles, level design,

The great: story, characters, cutscenes

The good: puzzles, level design, gameplay, graphics

The bad: abrupt difficulty spikes here and there

The ugly: nothing
  43. Aug 29, 2021
    Longest unskippable video (before playing) of any video game I ever played. Got this game with PS Now. Gave up after like 10 minutes, I didn't even play the game. Seriously, we are in 2021, make all the videos short of skippable, this is a no brainer.
  44. Apr 17, 2022
    A good game,, with a good story,
    A really good remake,
    Better then fine,,,,
  45. Apr 9, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oddworld é um dos melhores jogos de plataforma. Só acho que não deveriam ter inovado tanto. Não gostei do pulo duplo. Até achei interessante as garrafas, mas prefiro um jogabilidade mais realista. Expand
  46. Apr 11, 2021
    Игра полный отстой, не стоит даже качать. Сони что то совсем скатились, шлак релизят
  47. Apr 8, 2021
    Jogo excelente, divertido e viciante. Uma grata surpresa da PSN Plus pros usuários de PS5
  48. Apr 11, 2021
    Grazie per aver venduto il gioco non completo, con una quantità enorme di bug ed errori. Se mi chiedete 50 per un gioco, per lo meno dovete completare lo sviluppo e testare tutte le funzionalità.
  49. May 13, 2021
    cuando vi el tráiler me esperaba grandes cosas, lo regalaron en PSPlus y le dedique horas hasta terminarlo, los logros son en algunos casos, imposibles, la jugabilidad nefasta, la respuesta es muy lenta y al final se vuelve muy repetitivo, no me gusto.
  50. May 23, 2021
    Wunderbar umgesetzt
    Die Geschichte wird ausgezeichnet erzählt und man möchte einfach immer weiter machen um voran zu kommen
    Die Optik des Spiels ist wunderschön
    Anfangs ein paar Bugs, aber darüber lässt sich hinwegsehen
  51. Nov 27, 2021
    Controls are awful: using an analogic joystick to move a character who has only 4 ways to go is stupid. You will very often miss the edge of the platform when you want to go the the upper platform, or move left or right while you wanted to go up or down. Controls are also far too much sensible, leading to sort of a "joycon drift" (yes, on PS4) sometimes.

Game has many bugs: you will

Game has many bugs: you will sometimes miss the platform when doing a long jump because Abe will not hit the edge of the platform (while you would say he had).

Stealing objects in order to combine them is boring. And if you hit the checkpoint before having stolen everything and combine objects, you will have to re-do everything again and again as Abe dies. So boring...

Like in New'n'Tasty, the "analogic" movements of Abe are very unpleasant. Compared to Abe's Exodus where you know exactly where Abe has his feet (walking moves Abe by exactly one step, long jump 3 steps, long jump when running 4 steps, etc.), here you don't have the feeling to precisely control him. Combined with the analogic controls, you get a nightmare.

And worst thing: there is not much humor in this game, too much serious.

Gamespeak is OK. Graphics are amazing and beautiful. But this does not make a good game.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic Review

1. Apr 14, 2021
    Oddworld has never looked this good, but Soulstorm has certain shortcomings causing it to deliver a watered down experience, a sensation highlighted by the length of the campaign.