• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Mar 31, 2020
8.3

1. Apr 11, 2020
    TL;DR
    I was a huge fan of the original persona 5, and I liked this game a lot, and I think it's a really good game, but I can see where some of the critics dislike this game.
    Still, as a hardcore persona 5 fan i think the good far outweighs the bad, but I can understand why people will not like this game. If you never played the orginal persona 5, and you are into RPG, especially
    TL;DR
    If you never played the orginal persona 5, and you are into RPG, especially JRPGs, this is hundred percent a much buy.
    If you played the orginal persona 5, and you loved the orginal game, again a must buy. And if you loved the orginial, (make sure you put the game on hard diffculty)
    If you played the origiinal person 5, and you were more indifferent to it or didn't love it, I would pass on this game.
    Longer review:

A lot of the negative reviews for this game come from the fact that they didn't feel that this game was worth the 60 dollar purchase after already buying g the original game. There is definitely plenty of new content, new places to explore new things to do. In my opinion, most of the new things in this game doesn't add that that much to the story line; if you are not a hardcore persona 5 fan. Sure you get a good amoutn of new options, but imo it wasn't significant enough for more casual fans to feel like they're playing a different game. Now, tbf, I wasn't super upset at that becuase I really enjoyed the main game but I can see why some people will take issue. One thing I did dislike was imo a lot of the new content made you even stronger, which kinda makes most of the game easy. I don't think persona 5 orginal was a hard game at all, now it's borderline like super easy. I would say it's almost mandatory for a returning player to play this game on Hard diffculty. Now that value for you will ultimately determine your thoughts on the main game.

On the persona 5 royal extra content, there are some extra content at the end that I really liked, and I really liked how the game ended and stuff. I think these spots were done pretty well by ATLUS. I was glued in the final story moments and thought it was very well done. I won't be more specific because of spoiler concerns. There was a couple spots in Royal that I didn't really like. For example, the new character, Kasumi isn't really playable for tbh a huge portion of the game. and when she was so advertised so hard, I wasn't kinda upset she didn't play a larger role.

Definitely a mustbuy if you liked the orginal, however if you didn't, you can pass on this one. I can understand why some people would think this game is too similar to the orginal and be kinda upset. I don't agree with it, but I can somewhat understand their view point.
  2. May 10, 2020
    Base Persona 5 was a masterpiece. Not my favorite SMT game, but it's hard to deny what it has done for JRPGs as a whole, with people who've never touched a JRPG in life loving it.
    Persona 5 Royal is the better game for sure. Gameplay changes make the combat go from "good" to "addictive". Baton Passes are now its own mechanic instead of being incorporated in confidants, the Will Seeds make the dungeon crawling more manageable, persona traits make downfusing (?) more viable, and Showtimes are just eye candy (especially the endgame ones). They also changed Mementos to be less tedious and samey. There are some touches to the social sim part of the experience, too. There are so much more evening time slots that it becomes hard not to max your social stats by the end of the game, you get phone calls after a hangout, allowing you to get some extra Confidant points.
    However, here's the problem: this is one of the easiest games I've ever played. The only troubling parts are at the beginning, where you're underlevelled, and at the 5th bossfight, where you have to use a strategy to win. Everything else is a cakewalk. I was level 99 at the end of the game unlike base P5, where I was like level 75. I've played the game at Hard difficulty, yet it still felt really easy. Unlike base P5 and even more so P3 and P4, maxing out all Confidants is not only managable without a guide, but even somewhat easy.
    ------------------------------------------------------Third Semester (no spoiiers)---------------------
    Now, the third semester. It's really good.
    It gives me hope for P6, since the story brought up some cool points.
    The villain is really likable, and the final palace is easily the best one (yep, better than the 6th). The puzzles are great, the bossfights are great, the music is great - it's incredible.
    Kasumi is a really great character, at least here. Pre-third semester she's pretty weak and most of her problems are generic. Also "uwu senpai" is really infuriating the 35476th time she says it.
    And Maruki? Well, this one's... up for debate. Just play the game yourself.
    ----------------------------------------------------------Conclusion--------------------------------------------
    Is it worth 60$? Well, if it's your first time experiencing Persona 5, then it's an easy yes. If you're revisiting it? Not so much. While it's still a big upgrade over Base P5, it's still not even close to being a full price worth upgrade, at least in my opinion. The basis of the story isn't changed basically at all, so you still have to go through the same 70-80 hours.
    That's why I give it only a 9/10.
  3. May 5, 2020
    This is my first time diving into the world of Persona and, man, was it a trip! All the characters are unique and the gameplay makes me think and strategize. I’m going to be honest; I really am not the biggest fan of anime and when I see it, I usually give it the cold shoulder. This game is the one exception. You can see the care and love the developers put into this game and I’m glad myThis is my first time diving into the world of Persona and, man, was it a trip! All the characters are unique and the gameplay makes me think and strategize. I’m going to be honest; I really am not the biggest fan of anime and when I see it, I usually give it the cold shoulder. This game is the one exception. You can see the care and love the developers put into this game and I’m glad my friend recommended me this enhanced remaster more or less. In summary, if you’re not the biggest fan of RPGs and are not interested whatsoever in anime, give this game a shot. I was very skeptical when I got the recommendation but you just got to play it. The style and the music and the overall vibe of this game are unmatched by anything I have played this generation. ( Ok actually Last of Us, Mario Odyssey, God of War, and hopefully TLOU Part II top this but still, this game is more than worth the 100+ hours!) Expand
  4. Apr 11, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The quintessential JRPG improved in every aspect. My only criticism is the way they chose to incorporate the Royal content. If you don't max out Maruki confidant before a specific time, you will be locked out of all the extra story. Kinda lame Expand
  5. May 19, 2020
    Persona 5 was already a 9/10 fantastic game, and this version improves it. A couple interesting new characters, a new final dungeon, some gameplay tweaks, and a bunch of QoL improvements bring it to the next level. If you haven't played the original and are interested in trying it, get this version.

I gave it a 9, though, since I don't believe there is enough new stuff to justify this game being $60 when the original is now $20. $40 or maybe $50 would be a better deal.
  6. May 4, 2020
    The upgraded version of one of the finest game of all time; new characters and tracks, improved interactions, better game mechanichs, more dynamic dungeons and even more diversity in casual battles. A brand new game, totally worthly of the expense. Too bad for the "true ending" final cutscene, for me a bit unsadisfaying.
  7. Apr 11, 2020
    A great game with an great extension to the story and even though it was longer than original Person 5 I did not feel burnt out by the 6th dungeon. Got the Platinum Trophie on my first run aswell so 9/10 I want more.
  8. Apr 8, 2020
    E' il miglior jrpg a cui abbia mai giocato, è vicinissimo alla perfezione non riesco a pensare a difetti. Il gioco principalmente è diviso due parti ben distinte: Nella prima saremo degli studenti che vanno a scuola normalmente, nella seconda vivremo le incredibili avventure dei phantom thievs. Il plot è meraviglioso e la soundtrack è una delle migliore che abbia mai avuto il piacere diE' il miglior jrpg a cui abbia mai giocato, è vicinissimo alla perfezione non riesco a pensare a difetti. Il gioco principalmente è diviso due parti ben distinte: Nella prima saremo degli studenti che vanno a scuola normalmente, nella seconda vivremo le incredibili avventure dei phantom thievs. Il plot è meraviglioso e la soundtrack è una delle migliore che abbia mai avuto il piacere di ascoltare Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal is one of the greatest games of all time. It takes P5, an already enjoyable experience and fixes any problems that original players had in Persona 5. The only problem is on my first play through, i play on safe mode to relax and enjoy the story. There were often battles in safe mode that were just grindy in a way or straight up annoying to deal with, which if it was in anyPersona 5 Royal is one of the greatest games of all time. It takes P5, an already enjoyable experience and fixes any problems that original players had in Persona 5. The only problem is on my first play through, i play on safe mode to relax and enjoy the story. There were often battles in safe mode that were just grindy in a way or straight up annoying to deal with, which if it was in any other mode would be fine, but i wasn't there for the battles. However, every other aspect of the game was enjoyable. If you didn't play the original Persona 5, pick this up, but the third semester only adds a few hours of gameplay. It was honestly disappointing because it really just feels like a dlc except if the dlc character was planted throughout the whole story. I really wish there would've been even a little bit more. The ending is also way more satisfying, as everyone really moves on and goes. If I had to convince someone why to get this over if they were hesitant and bought the original, it'd be for the way things end off. But all of the problems I experienced made a tiny impact considering how good the story is, and the whole experience itself. This is an amazing and i think it will stand the test of time for a long long time. i just hope it isn't milked too much more. Expand
  10. Mar 31, 2020
    Persona 5 on its on was a masterpiece 10/10 game and was the best game of 2017 alonside botw. We already knew that persona 5 royal was going to be a much better experience but Atlus literally blew it away by improving on a masterpiece game and turning it into perfection! They literally took and redesigned everything and added much much more. If persona 5 royal itself was released in 2017Persona 5 on its on was a masterpiece 10/10 game and was the best game of 2017 alonside botw. We already knew that persona 5 royal was going to be a much better experience but Atlus literally blew it away by improving on a masterpiece game and turning it into perfection! They literally took and redesigned everything and added much much more. If persona 5 royal itself was released in 2017 it would have easily won GOTY. It is such a perfect game made with love and care and is right now the highest rated ps4 exclusive of all time. Sega and atlus has given us a game that will go down in history as one of the greatest and best crafted pieces in the medium I can't recommend playing this game enough! Another HUGE masterpiece added to the list of Sony exclusives. I wish we get the original persona 5 on steam though that would be really cool having persona on pc and ps the best platforms out there! Expand
  11. Apr 7, 2020
    It's just the best game in history. Deep story, awesome characters, the gameplay is clean, and a lot of things. I just love it
  12. Apr 18, 2020
    First off I believe you need to compare this version of the game to the original since they are both playable on the same system and a new player would have to choose between them and old players need to choose if this is worth buying when they already have a version of persona 5. If you are getting this one solely to have the ‘definitive’ version, also keep in mind both persona 4 andFirst off I believe you need to compare this version of the game to the original since they are both playable on the same system and a new player would have to choose between them and old players need to choose if this is worth buying when they already have a version of persona 5. If you are getting this one solely to have the ‘definitive’ version, also keep in mind both persona 4 and persona 3 got remakes on portable systems, so I would not be surprised if we get another persona 5 remake for a portable system one day.

So for everything good I have to say about royal I have something bad to say compared to the original:

Good new graphics update - but bad new opening that you see every time you start the game, uglier, smaller font (big deal since this game is largely told through text and dialogue) used than the original game, and some of the new character busts are very odd looking and don’t look like they were drawn by the people who did the old busts.

A new semester with a new palace! - it is optional. It also needs to be unlocked and the unlocking is easy enough to miss that many players may accidentally miss it. Also the new ‘semester’ isn’t very long and it is only like a month ish, calling it a ‘semester’ almost feels misleading. I can see why there are many bad reviews saying they were unhappy with how little new content there was.

New confidants to do and a new romance option - but without going into spoilers the new royal characters are very similar to ones from previous Atlus games (including previous persona games) so if you are familiar with other persona, smt, or other Atlus games the new characters may feel stale or predictable.

A new party member to use! - but she is on team for a very, very short amount of time so people excited to use a new party member will probably be disappointed. And her character arc doesn’t match the other characters being more about accepting her past and herself than of fighting against social norms and abuse. And as above, her writing is really predictable and weak.

New battle mechanics and changes to make some aspects (like weapons and guns) more useful! - but it causes some balancing issues. Some changes now make the game too easy later in the game and make make some things already in the game obsolete. Example: changes to the guns to make them better made gun-based persona and gun persona skills a waste of time to use as well as making Haru much less useful, and she already suffers as she joins the cast very late.

...So, yeah, I do not believe royal is an unquestionable improvement to the original. I’d even go as far as saying that the new additions really could have used more work and many of the changes actually hurt the game instead of improving it. The new characters are also very disappointing and I don’t think most players will enjoy them.

So overall I can’t say I enjoyed this version as much as the original, but I don’t think it is a bad game. If you played the original I wouldn’t bother getting this one and if you have never played persona 5 I would say get the original because it will probably be cheaper and it isn’t any worse. I’d only really recommend this version if safety difficultly was too hard for you in the original or if you are a stickler for good graphics and have a giant, super HD TV so a graphic upgrade would make a huge difference to you. Overall though I don’t think royal is worth it to the average gamer. It isn’t ‘bad’ but ‘unnecessary’ might be a good word.

Buy, rent, watch an LP, or skip? Skip. The original will probably serve you fine and most of the new changes may not be worth buying the game again, most new plot points are optional and don’t change the story and are skippable.
  13. Mar 31, 2020
    its a 10 what else is there to say about it? your adding extra to a game that was already considered one of the best jrpg of this generation and some people’s favorite game of all time really nothing else to add lol
  14. Mar 31, 2020
    Original Persona 5 was already a fantastic game, but Persona 5 Royal made a step even further by adding tons of new activities. New characters, fantastic soundtrack, bosses, personas etc. make game even better. More achievements were added and confidant system was improved. More DLC personas were added to the store, and they are fantastic in terms of gameplay.
  15. Mar 31, 2020
    This is the best jrpg of all time hands down ! It can’t be put into words . You have to play it to understand it’s perfection! Thanks atlas!
  16. Mar 31, 2020
    Persona 5 was a great game on its own but Persona 5 Royal made persona 5 an absolutely amazing game deserving a 10/10 rating.
  17. Apr 23, 2020
    Ok, I see a lot of people comparing this version to the original so I’m writing a review as someone who didn’t play the original and came into the royal with a clean slate.

Honestly? It didn’t live up to the hype. While the gameplay is the best of any jrpg I’ve ever played and the music was fantastic, I wouldn’t give this game a 10/10 in any other aspect. But the gameplay parts I can’t stress enough are amazing, the palaces are beautiful and creative, cool monster designs, and the controls are super user friendly.

I see a lot of people praising the graphics, and while the menus, dialogue boxes, character portraits, and such were great, most of the in-game graphics were OK at best with flat textures on background items and buildings, low detail background characters, and showing characters from a distance to hide how weird some of their facial proportions and expressions are on the models. If you look at videos of the rhythm game spinoffs you can really see how much better some of the graphics could have been.

The story was also lacking. There was a lot of filler and I feel like you could have removed like a 1/4 of it and it wouldn’t make a big difference. Most of the female party members are totally removable - Futaba is useful and Ann helps kickstart the plot (but really doesn’t do anything once the plot starts moving) but Makoto only bosses people around and tells people things the player could really figure out on their own, Haru’s dad is more important than her and she’s really only on the team because she happens to be the one to find Morgana after he tries to leave, and Kasumi isn’t even part of the team until after the main part of the story is long over - even as someone who never knew the original I can tell she wasn’t in it and she was added in later because she is just too tacked on. There are also big parts that don’t add to the story like school trips/activities and Morgana running away that would have just improved the pacing if they had been removed.

The game is also very anticlimactic. Many side stories just kind of end. Morgana’s subplot about his identity is answers with some infodumps near the end, Goro appears and causes problems only to be swept away when he isn’t useful to the story anymore, and most of Kasumi’s and Takuto’s developments become hollow depending on if whether you do the last palace (it isn’t required - I actually would recommend not doing it because it doesn’t add to the plot and is really badly written).

The game also handles teenagers really badly. The game treats them as adults with fan service of girls that are really young, teens being in relationships with adults (like their teachers, the player character can literally date his homeroom teacher), and many of the characters just act like short adults. I feel like the writer wanted this to be about young adults (like in their 20s) but the publishers or something stepped in and made them change it.

So yeah, it is a game with all the best basic gameplay and game style, but it is bogged down by a big story that really slacks in areas.
  18. Apr 1, 2020
    Ok I'm gonna be honest with all of you with this review.

I played the game in Jappanese and I was waiting to make a review for the game when the release of west was made. This review I made it on november. P5R is a good game for an JRPG Fan like me of course in this aspects. -Gameplay: I think when I played P5(Vanilla) it was a good gameplay but it needs a log and a advice tag when
    Ok I'm gonna be honest with all of you with this review.

-Gameplay: I think when I played P5(Vanilla) it was a good gameplay but it needs a log and a advice tag when you want to do a critical or a technical attack. This game added that and surely paid off. Also I like the add of the showtime attacks that is a good extra for the game for something to help and save SP/HP. Another aspect is mementos that is a dungeon to explore and get lot and EXP. That part was difficult on the P5(vanilla) cus you were limited, but the add with a boy solve that problem and I even reach lvl 99 without problems on my first playthrough Lol. New boss fights were added and old ones change they were a lot of fun to play vs them and add my strategy skills to use again like the twins.

The open world is now more freely to speak with confidants and Morgana doesn't tell you to go to sleep it was a good add but I miss it too cus for me persona is a JRPG but the first gameplay it shows how limited you are but also add a good reality of what the game offers you, I feel very easy to try to get the mayotity of the confidants and the new place to visit Kichijoji help a lot on the team with activities to pass the time but also boost them. Also the confidants have an extra scenes that make fresh dialogues and see more of them.

Music and sound: I play all the persona games but the music with P3, P4 with P4G and P5 are always the best aspects of the game by far l. The music of each game has their unique taste making the game very stylish. P5R has a good soundtrack but it doesn't get me hype like the P5(vanilla) but still makes a good effort to make something fresh but not very hype with it. The sound and effects are very well polished just like with P5(vanilla).

Art: Here I don't even need to rate it LOL you know the answer XD.

Now you are thinking why I'm telling good things of the game but why a 7.0(7.5). Here comes the bad things that I think this game fail for me.

Story and essence: I think this story is the same thing with changes on dialogue and some adds, but adding Kasumi to the story doesn't really affect to the main plot until the third semester that there is were the new things are getting. Now for me my opinion on Kasumi, she is not my best character even if they give her all the screentime of the life like a wall to pass, I even rate her 5th of the female thieves. The reason is because she doesn't even get that essence of the P5 with her backstory and life. I think she fits well on P4 than P5 just cus her story if I could tell in general she is a happy person she has her life literally ready you have a father who loves her, the society doesn't even make her an injustice and she wasn't even in danger or threatened. If someone who played the game it could reach to that conclusion, but the point is that I think Kasumi was wrong all the time about her life cus she wanted to reach high and be the best on gymnastics but there was another side that makes her think that she would not reach it. I think her family wouldn't wanted being selfish about your life is not worth it, is like a drama for me if you see it if you want to play the game. But her story is more of P4 than P5 cus the message of P4 for me is seeking the truth of the person than what it shows on the TV or any social media, just that we are using cognition and it remind me that. Makoto on one of her confidant rank says to the protagonist "The most important part of your life is how you choose to live it." that's something that Kasumi should do, but for this game doesn't fit her cus is rebelling against society and saving the people who needs it its not rebelling your life for someone by being selfish and making your life miserable if your family doesn't want that the only one that I think is worth the other confidant Takuto Maruki. The other thing is that this game is in doubt because P5Scramble release in Japan and is a true sequel of the P5(vanilla) so this game is not canon(I tell this for the people who like the story and the characters and probably you should wait for that game than this). The final is not the same and shows a bittersweet than the unity of the last one.

Price/DLC: This is another aspect that ATLUS is bad. I think the price of this game doesn't even afford it to be a full price. By telling you that the story is the same just adding new things I could make a price of 30-40 than 60 cus is the same process of the game just with new things. And the DLC I just recommend to buy the boss fights ones cus the outfits are very expensive and even if you bought it on the vanilla one you need to 1 or 2 dolars for that.

Gameplay 2.0
    Art 2.0
    Music/sound 1.5
    Story 1.0
    Price/DLC 1.0

Equals 7.5 cus metacritic doesn't have 7.5
  19. May 10, 2020
    This is a game where you probably have decided whether or not you will love the game before you have bought it. There are plenty of people here that declared the original a perfect game, so any positive changes would warrant another perfect score, meanwhile there are plenty who decide this game didn’t need to be made and would have given it a fail rating no matter what was in it.

For me

For me the devil is in the details when I look at how to rate this game and for me, if you are charging as it would cost to make a whole new game you need to have enough changes and additions to be as much as a new game and Royal doesn’t even come close to that - and with several years between the two versions that is really inexcusable. It is on the same system so it isn’t like controls had to be changed or images had to be resized. Outside of the dungeons most changes are minor such as different particle effects, new character busts, and slight changes to word choice in the dialogue. In the dungeons battle has been given some spit and polish and are really the highlight of Royal, but nothing extreme and I definitely think some bad reviews are downplaying the good aspects of this version.

That being said, if the new characters or story were amazing it could still have justified Royal being worth it but it does not. Other reviews posted here go into more specifics but most of the reviews that discuss the story at all and are /not/ a two sentence blurb about how there is sooo much new content and the graphics are so much better say the new story sections are not to their liking. Kasumi is not popular with fans and I can see why as she is barely part of the team and much of the game is shamelessly begging the audience to find her cute, the new palace added to the end is a beat for beat copy of the plot of persona 4, and any developments from the new section are undone by the ending (such as Goro’s new developments) making the new sections feel like a waste of time. I would have much rather has something like the new dungeon that was added to Golden where it was cleaning up a fraction of the villain or FES dealing with the aftermath of a character’s death to provide more closure to the cast. The new ending for Royal is also hilariously unsatisfying, I thought I had messed up and gotten a bad ending because it was sadder and more distant than the original game. Anyone who says this version is an unquestioned improvement after that ending must not like the phantom thieves other that Goro or the new characters very much.

I would have given this a 4.5 or something but since this site can’t I’ll settle for 4. This version doesn’t add as much as you’d hope, the new story sections are less than ideal, and so you are mostly buying this version over the old one (or replacing you old game for this one) for gameplay upgrades.
  20. Apr 22, 2020
    Probably great if you haven’t played the original, but a total disappointment if you did. Most of the new story is in a new game section that has to be unlocked and the story for it isn’t even that good and doesn’t really change the overall plot. There are some battle changes that you’ll either love or find make the game stupid easy. And most of the game other than battle sections and theProbably great if you haven’t played the original, but a total disappointment if you did. Most of the new story is in a new game section that has to be unlocked and the story for it isn’t even that good and doesn’t really change the overall plot. There are some battle changes that you’ll either love or find make the game stupid easy. And most of the game other than battle sections and the new section is just graphics upgrades that aren’t different enough from the original to be worth it for most people. I would have much rather they cut the crappy new characters (seriously, they all are boring and or badly written) and have had Kasumi as a female protagonist option or removed the graphic changes and made this a switch or pc port. I would have given this a mixed score and not a bad one but it is expensive compared to the original so it isn’t a great game and it is expensive so totally not worth a buy. Expand
  21. May 4, 2020
    Not worth the hype. While there are some good changes like Morgana telling you to go to bed less, most of the changes from the original are lukewarm, superficial, or straight-up bad. Most of the praise for this game is for better graphics (and I’ll give it that) and tiny changes like seeing characters in backgrounds where they weren’t before or minor dialogue changes that most people don’tNot worth the hype. While there are some good changes like Morgana telling you to go to bed less, most of the changes from the original are lukewarm, superficial, or straight-up bad. Most of the praise for this game is for better graphics (and I’ll give it that) and tiny changes like seeing characters in backgrounds where they weren’t before or minor dialogue changes that most people don’t even notice. But those changes only mean so much when the game adds legitimately bad additions like Mary-Sue Kasumi, gameplay so easy diehard RPG fans may have their enjoyment killed, and turning Goro into a joke. And the price? Compared to what the original game is going for nowadays? Ouch! Expand
  22. Apr 26, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know how Pokémon games would always release a 3rd version of a region that had slightly better graphics and small region changes, but it was otherwise buying the same game again just as a definitive version (like ruby and sapphire had emerald)? That is what this game is. Only Pokémon realized that people thought that was dumb and started making sequels to games instead (like black 2/white 2) and are now experimenting with DLC, while persona fans are apparently thrilled to pay for the same game they’ve played already just because there is one new palace, some minor graphics and battle tweaks, and a new party member that only decides to get off her butt and do something right before the game ends. The worst part is most of the improvements aren’t even that good. Grappling hook was great but most of the gameplay improvements are just more buffs/ammo/items or filler sections in existing palaces, graphics are slightly better but not noticeable most of the time, and the new characters were total disappointments. Call me when they remake this game in a way that actually fixes the problems of the original, like the stupid airlock puzzles in the spaceport, Morgana running away adding nothing to the story, and cleaning up plotholes like the traitor not even checking to see if the person he shot is in confirmed dead and in the morgue before moving on with his plans. Expand
  23. May 5, 2020
    Are you an LPer planning on streaming this game? Do you watch LPs and plan on watching this instead of playing it? If you answered no to both, this version of persona 5 isn’t for you.

While there are changes from the previous version, most of them are meant to look good on a screen and little else. The gameplay is easier so you can get through the battles faster for the LP audience that doesn’t want to watch battles and wants to get back to the story and full of flashy additions that don’t add to the gameplay but look good. Same with the story, lots of little changes to make things look nice like new character portraits, a new font, texture overhauls in some locations for a LP audience but don’t actually change anything if you are just playing the game for yourself. There is one new palace, but again it is mostly about looking nice and has trash writing and the gameplay for it is nothing new. Even the new characters are meant to look nice (like Kasumi bouncing around with her gymnastics) but actually don’t add to the story at all and have boring confidant routes and poor characterization.

If you aren’t into LPs just play the original again and wait for the inevitable anime/OVA for Royal and skip playing this game entirely. If you haven’t played the original, go buy that instead because it is the same game basically but significantly cheaper.
  24. May 1, 2020
    How I rate games:
    Game-play, Music/Sound, Graphics & Visuals, Story/World-building, and Characters each get 0-2 points adding up to a score /10. 0 is non-existent or bad, 1 is average or N/A, and 2 is better than average.
    Game-play: 1 The only changes from the original are exploit fixes and changes to make a game that wasn't really that had easier such as copying the simultaneous
    How I rate games:

Game-play: 1
    The only changes from the original are exploit fixes and changes to make a game that wasn't really that had easier such as copying the simultaneous attacks from the Golden (now called 'showtimes'), adding more SP items to the palaces, and passing out bullets like candy. Newcomers may enjoy but returning players that don't enjoy playing an easier version of a game they have already played will not enjoy Royal.

Music/Sound: 1
    The music is the same as the original, missing a great opportunity to add Lotus Juice back into persona. And honestly? I liked the old battle theme better.

Graphics & Visuals: 1
    The same as the original but with minor tweaks like busts that can turn their heads and putting the busts in little boxes during phonecalls. I expected much more for the price.

Story/World-building: 0
    Royal fails to fix the issues with the original story and adds new sections and events that are a grand waste of time and don't build on the story or characters in any meaningful way. I'm completely serious, Royal makes the story of P5 worse instead of better.

Characters: 0
    The new characters, I'm sorry, royally suck. While Maruki is decent with a story that works but is pretty messy, the other two are straight-up fails. Jose is nothing but a cute face only there to add an unnecessary mechanic and Kasumi is pointless and could be used as a guide on how not to handle complex characters by having dozens of ideas attached to a single character but not fleshing any of them out and backtracking on her development by the end. While we will argue forever as to who P5's best girl is, at least we can now narrow down who worst girl is: Kasumi and/or her sister.

TOTAL: 3/10
  25. Jun 1, 2020
    As standalone experience this gme is absolute brilliant for any fan of turn-based combat system and novel games.
    However, in comparison to vanilla P5 game its not so great. Battle add-ons were good, but made walkthrough way too easy even at max difficulty since you played original game and fairly competent how to play it.
    New storyark is OK and has its own unexpected turns , but overall
    New storyark is OK and has its own unexpected turns , but overall fells a bit out of line, like the story was forced to continue and received one more all-or-nothing epic final battle. Imo it felt victim to great original ending.
    Also i wish I'd never seen post credit scene. 170hrs of completion turned unsatisfying as Inever reached the end of the story.
  26. Jun 19, 2020
    I am a real sucker for a well put together jrpg. The game is stylish, but so was persona 5, so no surprise there. The new addition to the story fit in well, and the redesigned palaces were a lot of fun. Atlus would be on point if they would stop making nickel-and-dime style dlc and start focusing more on sequels of their flagship games instead of spinoffs.
  27. Jun 30, 2020
    Royal implemented some really cool and helpful changes to original, as well as some... interesting ones. Not bad, but not changes I was particularly fond of. The new characters, Dr. Maruki and Kasumi, are great additions to the cast of Persona 5. However, I feel that Kasumi didn't quite live up to her potential as a party member. I felt like they could've done a lot more with her than whatRoyal implemented some really cool and helpful changes to original, as well as some... interesting ones. Not bad, but not changes I was particularly fond of. The new characters, Dr. Maruki and Kasumi, are great additions to the cast of Persona 5. However, I feel that Kasumi didn't quite live up to her potential as a party member. I felt like they could've done a lot more with her than what they did. The new Royal storyline was interesting, but the ending that came along with pales in comparison to the original. But overall still an incredible experience that I greatly enjoyed. Is it worth buying if you already own the original Persona 5? For me, it most definitely was. Expand
  28. Jun 20, 2020
    I was hoping for a little more from this version of P5 as it was released at a full price, but nonetheless Royal takes a great gameplay from original and makes even better. Story addition is also great and I like new ending much more than original one. I'm glad that they added more voice acting this time around but seriously I'm a little bit tired of jRPG not having a full voice actingI was hoping for a little more from this version of P5 as it was released at a full price, but nonetheless Royal takes a great gameplay from original and makes even better. Story addition is also great and I like new ending much more than original one. I'm glad that they added more voice acting this time around but seriously I'm a little bit tired of jRPG not having a full voice acting from beginning till the end. That's the main reason why P5R is not a perfect 10/10 for me. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2020
    This is admittedly my introduction to the Persona franchise, so I cannot compare it to the others in the series. However, on it's own merit, this game is nearly perfect. A delightful cast, wonderfully well-written story, powerful music and themes, and great graphics all come together to make a world and atmosphere that are top-tier. Then you get to the gameplay, which is extremely solid,This is admittedly my introduction to the Persona franchise, so I cannot compare it to the others in the series. However, on it's own merit, this game is nearly perfect. A delightful cast, wonderfully well-written story, powerful music and themes, and great graphics all come together to make a world and atmosphere that are top-tier. Then you get to the gameplay, which is extremely solid, and feels very unique - though it still has the refined quality of a title deep in a franchise. The only complaint I can think of is that it seems a bit easy to get over-leveled or too powerful, to the point where your limiting factor becomes managing SP instead of HP, and you can waltz through most of the encounters. Overall this game in my opinion is a must-play on the PS4, and is extremely enjoyable in basically every way, as well as providing tons of content (hundreds of hours) for the price. Expand
  30. Jun 22, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden before, so I know what I am heading into from P5 to P5R.
    But man, this game is just pure gold, the only con I am going to say is, they didn't really improved on the Haru arc, which I thought it was lacking during the original Persona 5 too.
    This games bring so much to the table, even fans who played the original one should play this again.
  31. Jun 21, 2020
    Excellent game. Best JRPG game I played for now! But new character Kasumi too late to join, can't even enough choose her in team already going to the end.
    To sum it up, absolutely one of the best JRPG game.
  32. Jun 27, 2020
    Very Nice Game, makes a lot of Fun. The Battle-System is simple but have a lot of littlte Features (I hope you get it)
    Only the Tutorial is a little bit too long. But the rest is near to the perfect.
    JRPGs Fans must play
  33. Jun 24, 2020
    This game is just as good as the original Persona 5, Royal changes and adds a lot of quality of life features that improve the overall gameplay experience. The story is also expanded to make the gameplay last an average of 10-20 hours extra.
  34. Jun 25, 2020
    I loved P5 with a passion, and really wanted to rate P5R 10/10, however I just can’t. I have no issued with the added mechanics, even if they make the game feel a bit too easy. Besides one certain boss, I liked the expanded dungeons and boss fights and it was basically what I expected. My issues are with the story, P5 certainly feels slow paced at points but I loved it nonetheless, in P5RI loved P5 with a passion, and really wanted to rate P5R 10/10, however I just can’t. I have no issued with the added mechanics, even if they make the game feel a bit too easy. Besides one certain boss, I liked the expanded dungeons and boss fights and it was basically what I expected. My issues are with the story, P5 certainly feels slow paced at points but I loved it nonetheless, in P5R certain bits feel to forcefully inserted into the original game, while I understand remaking certain bits from scratch to include new characters might have been too much work, it feels a bit lousily done. I fully disliked the ending, although the new palace has an amazing design it felt a bit anticlimactic, while the boss fight was overall bad. It is still a great game, but I think I would rather replay P5 than P5R. Expand
  35. Jun 20, 2020
    I loved the gameplay and the characters, but got a bit fed up of the gameplay loop by the end.
    I would still recommend that everyone plays this. Persona 5 is a modern jrpg done right
    Graphics 9/10
    Gameplay 7/10
    Story 8/10
  36. Aug 21, 2020
    This was a great game! The third semester was easily my favorite part of the whole game so yeah I recommend this game to everyone who was some hours to spend!
  37. Sep 20, 2020
    'PERSONA 5 ROYAL' is basis of the 'PERSONA 5',It has improved some experiences and added new game-play and characters,However, It's not really well in the end of story,Feels like add fuel to the cake.The characterization of the new character has not reached the level of the original, but it is still excellent in whole game.

Review of ‘ Persona 5:The Royal ’ Graphic: 8 Music: 10

Review of ‘ Persona 5:The Royal ’

Graphic: 8

Music: 10

Narrative:8.5

Gameplay: 8

Score: 9.1
  38. Nov 16, 2020
    This might be the best game on Playstation 4! I just can't believe, that I ignored this franchise until now. MUST PLAY!
  39. Nov 29, 2020
    the complexity of its gameplay systems and how seamlessly they work together to give you the most wonderful experience you can have in a game. The experience of everything you do, no matter how small is always important and feeds back into the core gameplay loop in a satisfying way. Meaning reading a book becomes as integral to the gameplay as the actual combat and as satisfying which isthe complexity of its gameplay systems and how seamlessly they work together to give you the most wonderful experience you can have in a game. The experience of everything you do, no matter how small is always important and feeds back into the core gameplay loop in a satisfying way. Meaning reading a book becomes as integral to the gameplay as the actual combat and as satisfying which is absolutely fantastic. Also the reworking of baton pass has turned the combat up to 11 and made it feel almost like a dance. It flows so seamlessly and creates a wonderful battle loop that is nearly impossible to not love. I adored my time with Persona 5 royal (Despite is extremely toxic and overly obsessed fanbase) and I'd recommend it to anyone. Definitely game of the year material for its refreshed gameplay loop alone. Not to mention to sound design, music, character interactions and fixed ending. Expand
  40. Nov 28, 2020
    The best RPG Game ever. If you LOVE the video games, you hace to play this.
  41. Jun 20, 2020
    I will keep this short. The original Persona 5 is a solid 8/10 game for me. It has a great story, revolutionary JRPG gameplay, and touches on many themes that modern society considers taboo. As for Persona 5 Royal, it's a cash grab. The game is advertised as the "game of the year" version, with enough added content to warrant a full $60 price. Don't waste your money, P5R has very littleI will keep this short. The original Persona 5 is a solid 8/10 game for me. It has a great story, revolutionary JRPG gameplay, and touches on many themes that modern society considers taboo. As for Persona 5 Royal, it's a cash grab. The game is advertised as the "game of the year" version, with enough added content to warrant a full $60 price. Don't waste your money, P5R has very little story additions, very minimal gameplay improvements (that sometimes actually devalue the old gameplay systems that are in place), uses new voices for some characters that deliver an inferior performance, and censors some of its heavy topics from the first game. As a package it doesn't add enough new content to justify a full price, and in other instances removes or censors elements that were good from the first game. The persona 5 experience is better enjoyed in its vanilla original release form. Expand
  42. Jun 24, 2020
    Decent story, serviceable combat. The atmosphere, music, animation and visual style make it special. Lack of control and decision making barely makes it an rpg. Silent protagonist doesn’t help either. What you can look forward to is 100+ hr playtime you will have with the game. I respect everyone who loves the game but for me the game feels time consuming in practice instead of beingDecent story, serviceable combat. The atmosphere, music, animation and visual style make it special. Lack of control and decision making barely makes it an rpg. Silent protagonist doesn’t help either. What you can look forward to is 100+ hr playtime you will have with the game. I respect everyone who loves the game but for me the game feels time consuming in practice instead of being excited for more content. To encapsulate everything about my review, I would say this game is the definition of Style over substance. Expand
  43. Nov 30, 2020
    One of the best games i ever played. It is an experience i would recommend to all JRPG lovers. Persona 5 was great, but Royal it is almost perfect: everything is polished and more refined. The third semester is one of the best concepts in video game history. None of my words will be able to describe it properly, just try it and see with your own eyes.
    It is worth playing even if you tried
    It is worth playing even if you tried the OG -you won't regret it, trust me!
  44. Jun 19, 2020
    The game itself for the first 50 hours barely breaks with the original, this isn't a problem but it does make me question why this wasn’t just an expansion. The original game is there with a few improvements that do make the game more enjoyable, the changes to mementos does improve it even though relatively minor. When the new content eventually takes centre stage, it really is decent,The game itself for the first 50 hours barely breaks with the original, this isn't a problem but it does make me question why this wasn’t just an expansion. The original game is there with a few improvements that do make the game more enjoyable, the changes to mementos does improve it even though relatively minor. When the new content eventually takes centre stage, it really is decent, and there is a good amount of it, There is a couple of new characters each properly fleshed out and do fit into the story to the most part. But they do feel like much more minor characters than they should be
    There are a couple of things added to the palaces which just feel like they were added for the sake of it, the grappling hook mechanic for example was only added to change the layout of the classic palaces slightly. But functionally its just a different form of climbing.
    The game is quite fun and the additions are interesting and the new story elements are decent when you eventually get to the meat of them.
    If you played persona 5 i struggle to suggest this at full price but if you’ve never played it, play this one, its basically P5 with extra stuff and you cant really complain with that
  45. Jun 19, 2020
    The addition to the original Persona 5 is not enough for a full-price game.
    However, the original P5 was good, and this game is also good.
  46. Jun 22, 2020
    The original Persona 5 was a damn good game and Royal just adds a ton of improvements to it. Mechanical improvements, overall Quality of Life changes, Palace reworks and so on. One complaint i have is that if you played the base game you can clearly see what parts belong to the base game and what parts are from royal. The story flows pretty much the same until the third semester (which isThe original Persona 5 was a damn good game and Royal just adds a ton of improvements to it. Mechanical improvements, overall Quality of Life changes, Palace reworks and so on. One complaint i have is that if you played the base game you can clearly see what parts belong to the base game and what parts are from royal. The story flows pretty much the same until the third semester (which is the best part of the game by far by the way) so when you have moments that involve characters from royal it feels like an afterthought in way. I would have really liked it if the story incorporated the new content more naturally into the original story. But I gotta say i'm quite excited for the next Persona game since the writing on the new parts was quite the step up, overall I feel like the game is an 8.5 so i'll give it an 8, it would be a 9 or even 10 if the story was meshed up better in my opinion. Also maybe the 60$ price tag is a little too much ? Since the base game is already for about 20$ and you can probably watch the remaining 20 hours on youtube or something. I would personally but this game on 30$ or 40$. Expand
  47. Sep 9, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal takes a couple of those annoying little things you had in the original P5 and makes them enjoyable, with an extension to the story and its wide selection characters.
  48. Jun 23, 2020
    Still mechanically and functionally sound to this day. While this version is essentially 80% identical to the original Persona 5, for a new player this isn't a bad thing at all. It adds just enough new things for older players to go through a playthrough with fun, however after putting 200+ hours into OG Persona 5, this game was incredibly tedious to deal with in the story as I had to skipStill mechanically and functionally sound to this day. While this version is essentially 80% identical to the original Persona 5, for a new player this isn't a bad thing at all. It adds just enough new things for older players to go through a playthrough with fun, however after putting 200+ hours into OG Persona 5, this game was incredibly tedious to deal with in the story as I had to skip all the cutscenes. They are not worth rewatching for the very minor changes that are made to some of them. That said, the additional semester was all fresh and was just as good as the other Palaces were when I first played the original game. Expand
  49. Jun 26, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal is worth a new msrp price due to it's added content. However some of the addition's (such as the mini-game of darts) could've been put in the original. The best new mechanical aspect of the game is the "showtime" attacks. Based on the initial trailer I thought each individual character had their own super attack, but it was just snippets of the showtime attacks. The addedPersona 5 Royal is worth a new msrp price due to it's added content. However some of the addition's (such as the mini-game of darts) could've been put in the original. The best new mechanical aspect of the game is the "showtime" attacks. Based on the initial trailer I thought each individual character had their own super attack, but it was just snippets of the showtime attacks. The added content gives the game a longer playtime. Despite claims that it's exactly the same as the original...it's actually the opposite. Yes, the flow of the game is the same as the original, but the overall experience is very different.

After stating the above, I cannot rate the game anymore than a 8. The reason is quite simple as to why...and it centers around DLC. The velvet room becomes a focus in Royal for it's challenge battles. However, once the 1st tier is complete...it becomes clear you can't advance to a different tier without buying DLC to do so. The DLC in question cost the equivalent of the game itself. Initially, I thought that you would have to buy the challenge battle DLC for Minato, and P4's protaganist, which would've been the right way to go. Aside from those two battles, the other battles are equivalent to tier 1's battles...basic. No one should have to pay for them, much less $59.99 to do so. Whoever made that decision (Atlus, and or Sega) should re-evaluate their business practices.
  50. Sep 27, 2020
    This game is masterpiece I can’t believe that it’s my first persona game ever wish I knew about these games before
  51. Jun 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you were a fan of the original Persona 5, then this game is definitely for you! The plot doesn’t change much up until the new 3rd semester, but there are a lot of new minor additions and expansions that make this game experience much better. The only reason I didn’t rate this a perfect 10 out of 10 is because of the “animated” ending. I don’t understand why the final boss is a taxi driver in the end and also if you were like me and romanced the new character, she isn’t there on the last day and acts like she doesn’t know you in the ending which was a little weird considering how much screen time she got with extra scenes throughout the game. Other than the questionable animated ending, this game was perfect. Expand
  52. Jun 29, 2020
    a good RPG and one of the best in the series. must play for JRPG fans you won't regret it!
  53. Aug 25, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ATLUS took a game that was a masterpiece, and somehow managed to make it better. In short - the new characters, Kasumi/Sumire and Maruki (more on them later) are good additions. Their backstories are tragic and really well done, and the twists they bring to the story are great. The additions to the gameplay are excellent, the grappling hook adds a really cool new element to palace exploration, and using powered up Baton passes and Technical damage is really satisfying after you put in the work playing darts and billiards. Disaster Shadows are a fun addition too. Will Seeds and their SP regeneration really helped me as someone who likes to run through palaces in one go. The soundtrack additions are unbelievably good, specially the ones from Maruki's palace, and giving Mementos new music was a welcome decision too, made exploration a lot better. As for the true endings, a part of me liked vanilla Persona 5's true ending more than this one, I really liked Joker's trip back to his hometown turning into a roadtrip with the PTs, but I get the symbolism with this one too.

I don't really have much to say about Sumire, she's kind of cool but not really the most interesting character in the game, specially during her time as Kasumi. She does come into her own after the actual events of her past are explored in detail, but it's too close to the end of the game. She suffers from a lack of screen time, similar to what happened with Haru in the vanilla Persona 5, her story was really well done but by the time it was explored in depth it was way too late in the game. Speaking of Haru, the poor girl still didn't get the screentime she deserves.

Maruki is a brilliant character in every sense. His confidant was great and as a villain with a lot of character depth he had me completely torn, you could see that he really just wanted to remove all the suffering from the world and see everyone happy, so he was completely different from almost all the other villains of the game/series. It was hard tearing all the members of the Phantom Thieves away from his reality, a reality they were so happy in and a reality that had everything they wished for. His palace, and the story leading up to stealing his heart, is the best in the game, with Sae's palace being a close second. Going through the 3rd semester and his palace was a very emotional affair. New character wise Maruki more than made up for Sumire being a little underwhelming.

The thing Persona 5 Royal does best is it's handling of Akechi. I never liked him, I've never considered him a member of the Phantom Thieves, despite the fact that he saved them and sacrificed himself in Shido's palace. I didn't like his phony Ace Detective getup. I didn't like the fact that after his death the PTs were going, "yeah, he was a victim too, he was used by adults just like us" and shifting all the blame onto Shido, with next to none on the person who actually carried out the killings. But by having him embrace who he was (a murderer and a villain) when he returned for the final palace, the game made me do a complete 180 on my opinion of him. He added a much welcome edge to the Phantom Thieves, and some of his dialogues and actions were absolute gold. His confidant was pretty good too. I went into the game determined not to fall for any Akechi redemption arc, but by the end of the game I had really started to like him. Granted, I still thought it was weird the way the Phantom Thieves reacted to Akechi's death upon arrival in the original reality, with sadness and grief. I mean that is literally the person who assassinated Futaba's mom, Haru's dad and tried to do the same to Joker, with plans to pick off the rest of the team one on by one too.

All in all, if you put aside the small and ultimately inconsequential flaws, the game has absolutely everything one would look for in a modern JRPG. It will go down as one of the all time greats, and I cannot recommend it enough.
  54. Jul 24, 2020
    This game takes everything from the original and improves upon it. Persona 5 was my favorite game until this game came out. The new characters (Kasumi and Maruki) are a great tie into this game. The original game already had what I considered to be a masterpiece of a soundtrack. This game cranks it up to 11 by introducing new tracks. I may consider some to be better than the originals. IThis game takes everything from the original and improves upon it. Persona 5 was my favorite game until this game came out. The new characters (Kasumi and Maruki) are a great tie into this game. The original game already had what I considered to be a masterpiece of a soundtrack. This game cranks it up to 11 by introducing new tracks. I may consider some to be better than the originals. I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to get into Persona or has already played the series prior. Expand
  55. Jul 26, 2020
    This game is best for people who have never played the original Persona5. It enhances the game in terms of both gameplay and story, also makes the first experience much better compared to the original game. However, If you already own the vanilla P5 and know about the story, the full game price tag might seem a bit too much. Still, this is the superior version, thus deserves the score it has.
  56. Jul 27, 2020
    This was my first persona game and I LOVED IT! if you're a fan of games with great stories, characters and soundtrack then this is for you, it starts off slow tho but stick with it trust me its worth it.
  57. Aug 7, 2020
    Made a great game even better, this has tons of content to go through so make sure you set time for this game cuz it will take you a while, which imo is an awesome thing as this game will keep you occupied for a while to justify its price tag.
  58. Aug 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All around fantastic game, keeps a vibrant and exciting energy throughout. Amazing story and gameplay. Beyond a masterpiece Expand
  59. Aug 18, 2020
    For me - it's a perfect JRPG. It has everything I love - plot, social interactions, cool gameplay, perfect music.
  60. Sep 3, 2020
    I havent played the original game. Amazing story, well written dialogs, decent gameplay, very good attention to details
  61. Sep 12, 2020
    Became a huge fan of Persona after playing P5. Played P5R and I'm still a huge fan. The game is great and definitely worth picking up.
  62. Nov 25, 2020
    I'll never forger this 175 hours journey.
    Thanks Atlus, P5R will be my life game.
  63. May 26, 2020
    A fun adventure full of twists and turns, this is not a game you’ll likely forget. From the action and soundtrack to the story, this game delivers on all fronts. The added content was a welcome expansion from the original, offering plenty more hours of gameplay and an equally, if not more compelling narrative. If your a fan of story driven games and jrpg’s, I can’t recommend this gameA fun adventure full of twists and turns, this is not a game you’ll likely forget. From the action and soundtrack to the story, this game delivers on all fronts. The added content was a welcome expansion from the original, offering plenty more hours of gameplay and an equally, if not more compelling narrative. If your a fan of story driven games and jrpg’s, I can’t recommend this game enough. Expand
  64. May 19, 2020
    Overlapping of voices in battles. It is the only issue that causes problem for this game.
  65. May 25, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal released on March 31st 2020 is a rerealse to Persona 5. The game has new content that expands 2 months. If you are wondering if you shoukd buy this over the orginal, you should get this one since it has the most content and new features.
  66. May 27, 2020
    I have never been more captivated by a game emotionally as much as this. The extra content and upgraded graphics are amazing. I have played this game 4 times and have watched 3 playthroughs.
  67. May 27, 2020
    It's actually a decent game and I loved playing it! Hope they release sequel soon
  68. May 26, 2020
    Best Game in the History! Best game ever! Best JRPG Forever. Best Scenary, best characters, best protagonist, best soundtrack, best style, best Atlus game. Nothing to say anymore.
  69. May 28, 2020
    160hrs of greatness. Going above & beyond, it expands almost everything with an entire game's worth of new content. Fantastic additions (Kasumi & Maruki)
    Refined confidants, notably Akechi. Better ending. QoL enhancements in all areas.
    Easily Game of the Generation contender.
  70. May 21, 2020
    This game has it all —my roommates played this when it originally came out and I ignored it. I remember thinking “hah what a silly game.” I now know how wrong I was. If you are on the fence about getting this game just do yourself a favor and get it. You’ve probably played all that video games have to offer but this one is in a dimension of its own.
  71. May 27, 2020
    This will be the most honest review you will read. Most of these are either fanboys or haters. Persona 5 Royal and the normal version of Persona 5 are fantastic games. They take certain elements of RPGs and make them more prominent. For example: In many RPGs and certainly turn based RPGs, elemental weaknesses exist but exploiting them is almost never necessary. The enemy that is weak toThis will be the most honest review you will read. Most of these are either fanboys or haters. Persona 5 Royal and the normal version of Persona 5 are fantastic games. They take certain elements of RPGs and make them more prominent. For example: In many RPGs and certainly turn based RPGs, elemental weaknesses exist but exploiting them is almost never necessary. The enemy that is weak to fire will also die equally effectively through weapons but NOT HERE! Persona 5 heavily rewards the exploitation of enemy weaknesses and preventing enemies from exploiting yours. This makes every battle strategic. There are, however, some negatives.

First, even for a Persona game, there is way too much dialogue. You are a saint if you read all of it. Luckily, this can be essentially skipped by pressing the start button. Characters tend to say the same things again and again and literally nothing of note happens without a dialogue between the characters. I mean if you are in a dungeon and you see a locked door, this will prompt a multi paragraph discussion on the door being locked and you needing to find another way. This is intolerable at times, especially when all you need to know is that the door is locked.

The time between targets/missions is also atrocious. This is the time when most of the story advances but it is so tedious to just go through meaningless dialogue that can easily be reduced by 95 percent and still get the point across.

Now, on to the story. The story is pretty good and rewarding. You feel like you are accomplishing something as you play the game. This is important because in today's stories, it stands out. Consider something like God of War where the entire story is get from point A to point B with your son while you bond. Great game, overrated story. Similarly, Persona 5 has a great but often overrated story. It's a good story with some nice twists but nothing to write home about. Again, it is good considering the current landscape of games.

The characters: The characters are certainly a low point in Persona 5, if we are being honest. If you have played other persona games, you will see very clearly that virtually every character in Persona 5 is a derivative of characters in other persona games. One of the low points of Persona is that in every game the characters are the same. You have a rough around the edges bad boy type who uses lightning magic or sometimes fire and is something of an outcast. This is your main attacker. You have a girl who uses fire magic or sometimes wind and is one of your healers. She is the bubbly popular attractive girl archetype. You have the best friend archetype in all these games and you have a mascot type animal character as well. Specifically with Persona 5, I found the confidants to be lackluster and uninteresting as compared to confidants from persona 3 or 4 (3 had the best confidants). The villain is obviously the villain as soon as you meet him and the game treats it as some form of surprise.

Overall, the game is fantastic and Persona 5 Royal has a lot more than the first game. The thing is, however, that Persona 5 Royal is substantially easier than Persona 5 Regular. This is because of some of the additions to the game that make combat much easier like the Showtime attack and the fact that baton passes can be done right off the bat. Certain elements of dungeons make it easier to conserve HP and SP. This works well in a remaster but is not great for a base game. Irrespective, if you have not played the first version, just play this one to get the most out of the story and gameplay.
  72. May 26, 2020
    Due to this new version of Persona 5, I can now proudly claim that it is my favorite game of all time along with Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden. Any minor issues I had with the original P5 couldn't have possibly ruined my overall experience with the game, however, Royal manages to fix these minor issues and even adds more to the game.

Some additions that I feel are noteworthy

Some additions that I feel are noteworthy Include:
    -A new story ark and dungeon after the events of the original game, which gives a satisfying conclusion to the Phantom Thieve's struggles. (You need to meet certain in-game conditions to access)
    -Reworking of previous dungeons and Mementos.
    -The additions of "Traits", which are special passive abilities to each persona, and the "Fusion Alarm" system both add to the already addicting fusing system of the Persona and SMT series.
    - More enemy variety throughout the game
    - Extra challenging bosses that you can attempt to fight and come in the form of "Challenge Battles" in the velvet room. (Most are DLC though)
    - Changes and polish to battle mechanics
    - Faster battle results screen ^^'
    - All new soundtrack arrangements are amazing.

These are just to name a sum of the additions that make purchasing Persona 5 Royal a worthwhile investment to make for RPG fans : ). I recommend that fans of RPGs play the game on Hard mode to get the most out of the experience.
  73. May 21, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played the original P5 and I must say that P5 was truly a masterpiece as an JRPG, but it had some flaws... Now with Royal it’s the complete experience with even more stuff to do, with even more confidants, new Personas, and more Palaces. Persona 5 Royal had stolen my heart again, after 130 hours of gameplay I can say that Royal is truly one of the best JRPG ever and if you are wondering which one to buy, I’ll say take your chance with Royal, you’ll enjoy it even more. Expand
  74. Jun 21, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal is the next greatest game i ve ever played. With nothing but pure adrenaline and feels by the end of my 160 hour first v. Every change to the game from the vanilla version felt potent and sublime. Having platinum'ed the first game 3 years ago and remembering every bit of the lackluster details that made the vanilla game feel off at times. It was no surprise that i wasPersona 5 Royal is the next greatest game i ve ever played. With nothing but pure adrenaline and feels by the end of my 160 hour first v. Every change to the game from the vanilla version felt potent and sublime. Having platinum'ed the first game 3 years ago and remembering every bit of the lackluster details that made the vanilla game feel off at times. It was no surprise that i was gushing during the certain parts of the game and dungeons where they significantly improved the tedious parts not to mention the combat felt generally more cohesive and grounded. The final antagonist is one of my favorite characters ever. The new semester is a fantastic arc with the dungeon having my favorite scores in the game. Lyn inaizumi and Shoji Meguro once again nailing that masterpiece soundtrack. Throw away your mask and I Believe are phenomenal OSTs. Atlus have outdid themselves. Every penny for this was worth it. It is the definitive persona experience and i cannot be more happier to have experienced it. Expand
  75. Jun 22, 2020
    After clocking in 400+ hours into this game, I can confidently say it's the best game you can play on the PS4. It's so much fun, which a riveting story and characters and fantastic game play and music.

Just play it. It's worth it.
  76. May 22, 2020
    There are no words, this game is a masterpiece. They took game that was near perfect and made it even better. There are still numerous flaws, of course, (most of which come from the original and are unfixed) but the good stuff tremendously outweigh them.

It doesn't matter if you've played the original or not, you need to try this game at least once. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but it's undoubtedly one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion.

Whether or not the new content is worth $60 for people who played the original is subjective, but in my opinion if you liked the original game then it's 100% worth it. If you disliked it or were indifferent, you don't really need to bother as it won't change your opinion.

If you haven't played the original, this is by far the best way to play the game. The full package is worth well over $60, and offers over 100 hours just for the main story, and an additional 10-30 hours for the new exclusive post-game story. Of course, the original is also there for about $20, and is still an amazing experience. I recomend waiting for a price drop or sale on this version, as you might want to play this one eventually anyway.
  77. May 17, 2020
    Love the "new story" With some kinda twist on it, just finished with 96% trophy completion, and for me its 60$ Worthy
  78. May 17, 2020
    This was my first Persona´s game and I’m sure that I made one of the best purchases of my life. It is an amazing game with a cool playing system in which each day in the game counts. How do you spend your time in the game is crucial to develop the main character.
    The battle system is easy to play but really deep and difficult to master. The Palaces and Mementos sections are really fun to play and with a spectacular designing, but at the end of the adventure might be a little monotonous. The variety of Personas is huge and each one of the have their own features and designs.
    The plot is really interesting and captivating, especially in the last parts of the game, when it gets more dynamic.
    By last, the main characters and the confidants have a great development (most of them) and do you really have the feeling of empathise and grown up with them.
    The Phantom Thieves have stolen my heart with this game. It was an incredible journey and now I am waiting for the next chapter.
  79. Jun 22, 2020
    This might be the best J-RPG, period. This game is long but interesting, characters are well developed, and you can do a lot of things in a really big and rich Tokyo. The combat system is really good. I spent more than 100 hours on the game, and never felt bored.
  80. Jun 22, 2020
    awesome game. i had a very good time. Combat difficulty is quite enjoyable. Art style and story are my favorite part. masterpiece.
  81. Jun 21, 2020
    Significantly better than the original which was already brilliant. The new characters & added content add so much to the story. It’s amazing.
  82. Jun 22, 2020
    A beautiful story, a fantastic gameplay , superlative characters but it isn't the best SMT games , it could be the third or the fourth
  83. Jun 22, 2020
  84. Jun 22, 2020
    if you like RPG style games, persona 5 is for you simple as that. Trust me, I have like 150+ hrs on my first playthrough and I'm already on my second one. Its **** GReat, play it you wont regret.
  85. Jun 23, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Persona 5 Royal is one or even may be the best games I've ever played.

Before i will go into Persona 5 Royal, i want to briefly mention the Original Persona 5.

Persona 5 was my very first Persona game, and it amazed me that a game could be this good.
    Even if i haven't completed all confidant rank, it was een experience you would never get with another game and i was so happy that I've played it.

Back to Royal

Royal his story is mostly the same in its normal period. (april 9th to december 24th)
    But with some new content like exploring Kichijoji, Darting and Biljard, the Jazz Club.
    And ofcourse with the new added characters "Kasumi" **** Takuto Maruki and Jose.

The changed palaces and boss designs were a nice change and make it feel like you fight him for the first time again. The adding of Will Seeds was nice, if you collect all 3 of them and bring them to Jose you can get some pretty nice gear, but i didn't use them much because the SP3 adhesive 3 was much better to have on your entire team.

If i need to give one negative opinion it needs to be to "The Okumura Arc"
    I don't know how they'd done it, but the boss is even worse then in the original Persona.
    The palace itself was good, only the boss was bad.

But about Royal his exclusive content

Kasumi or better to be known was Sumire **** was a amazing character that i thought at first sight that she was adorable, but after i finished the game and romanced Sumire, I was in love with the character. the cutscene where you find out that she actually is Sumire brought me to tears,
    I came really to a understanding why she wanted to be Kasumi.

Takuto Maruki is one of the best "villains" (if you can even call him that) was an amazing surprise in the 3rd semester. The reason why he is doin all of the tings he does, comes from a good heart and differs not a lor from the Phantom Thiefs but Maruki took a step to far and gave people who maybe didn't want to be who want to be.

I don't have to say a lot about Jose his character only that he was a funny character.
    and gave a fun boss fight at the end.

One thing what surprised me, was the returning of Goro Akechi on the evening of december 24th
    I was in shock mostly with: How is this possible.
    But when i found out that Joker wished for Goro Akechi to come back
    made me tear up, even if Akechi didn't like to return from the dead.
    We knew that Joker didn't want Akechi dead but he wanted to gave him a second chance.

The showtime attacks were a nice function to have when they appeared.
    I have 3 favorite showtime attacks

The most funny one was Yusuke's and Ryuji
    The most badass one was Akechi and Joker
    The most adorable one and my personal favorite Sumire and Joker

To talk about the Quality of Life updates were so good to have.

The beton Pass what was in the original unlockable with a confidant rank
    Now is auto unlocked and can be upgraded by darting with your teammates.
    most of your teammates can go to max rank in 1 darting game
    this can be done to make sure the character can finish the game in the 4th round (by giving a special dialogue option)
    The only one who can get a bit tricky was Goro Akechi
    all of you other teammates choose a game of 301 however Akechi chooses for a game of 701.
    The Technical Damage can now also be upgraded by playing biljard of couple of times with your entire team. The Jazz club can be visited with one of your teammates to give them XP, rank up their stats or give them special moves. In the original Persona 5, you couldn't do anything, after visiting the metaverse But in Persona 5 Royal you can do stuff inside Lablanc until you get Rank 10 with Kawakami To go brief in on the story of the 3rd Semester I was a very tough to see all of your teammates happy and know that you have to choose to undo it (If you want the True ending) but Maruki's palace was a rollercoaster of emotions. When you find out about Rumi and what Maruki's did to her to make her "happy" was something to see that he wants to make people happy and he isn't scared to sacrifice his beloved one to make her happy. Maruki's was't a bad guy he was a good guy who took a step to far to help others. Persona 5 Royal felt easier then the original Persona 5 but it doesn't matter how easy a game is If you enjoyed the journey and you had fun with the game its fine. Enjoy the game however you want. Persona 5 Royal was one special journey for me. After 250 hours of a rollercoaster of emotions and sped so much time with everyone in the game. just gave me a very silent moment when the credits rolled. I've Romanced Sumire and even it was for a very short time. It felt that i finally was happy for a moment and felt that i actually had a girlfriend for a short time. I hope i will never forget this game and the fun i had in Persona 5 Royal Have a good day everyone and hope you enjoy it.
  86. May 20, 2020
    El mejor juego de persona 5 es tan bueno que estas tan junto a los personajes que lloras si algo malo pasa una experiencia inolvidable 10/10
  87. Jun 18, 2020
    I'm reviewing this game in a bubble, while others have compared it to Persona 5 I think its unfair, if you're an outsider coming into the franchise for the first time, there's no need to worry about the differences between P5 and P5R.

This game is by far, one of the best contemporary JRPGs of all time. While not flawless (no game is), it is without a doubt a masterpiece. If I had to break it down:

- Gameplay: 10/10
    - Score: 10/10
    - Aesthetics: 10/10
    - Graphics: 10/10
    - Voice Acting: 10/10
    - Story: 9/10

The final semester (additional content) in particular is one of the best arcs in a Persona game to date, excellently written, scored and acted.

Gameplay wise Persona has never been better, with extremely in-depth mechanics that blow many of its peers in the JRPG space out of the water. The One-More system has been a staple of the series for a long time but its never felt snappier and more satisfying to chain One-Mores between all of your party members and power up the final character for massive damage.

The soundtrack expands on the original Persona 5 score and somehow improves what I would've already considered a 10/10 soundtrack. If another game had just one of these tracks, they'd be standouts, this game has upwards of 20 memorable, and groovy tracks that you'll never get tired of.

Graphically, I'll break down the aesthetics and performance separately but as an overview, this game oozes style without sacrificing performance. As a User Interface and UX designer myself, its not hard to see how meticulously planned and constructed Persona's menus and HUD is. Sight and Sound form together seamlessly and no detail was spared. From the ways menus are animated, how they blend into gameplay, how they sound, its all some of the best work in any game, period.

Performance wise, Royal is also extremely solid. I mentioned at the top I wouldn't compare it to the original, but here I think there's some value in doing so. Persona 5 was originally developed for the PS3, but mid-way through was also declared a PS4 title at launch as well. The impact of the game being a PS3 product at heart wasn't as noticeable when played, but looking back now it's very clear.

Persona 5 Royal has clearly been revamped and built from the ground up for the PS4. Significant benefits like load times, envrionments, graphical improvements and lighting has been made. Textures, models, animations have all been greatly improved.

Voice Acting is huge for Persona, for those new to the franchise the narrative is typically expressed through animated interactions following an almost visual novel style presentation. I say "visual novel" not as a bad thing however, I believe you'll quickly come to appreciate the efforts being made to keep you engaged in the story being told, with new additions to the dialogue system like the "Auto" mode, which lets conversation flow without any input from the player, I think this is maybe the best implementation of dialogue we've seen yet in the Persona series. On top of those mechanical changes, it's also safe to say the game is now voiced a majority of the time. From just a gut feeling, I'd say around 50% of the dialogue in the original Persona 5 was actually voiced. Here, I'd probably say its around 66%, or 2/3rds.

Story is the one element of the game I gave only a 9/10, I am someone with a larger experience with Persona games, and since i know the potential of the series, it's hard for me to separate those from my overall feelings. Overall the story is brillaint, each character is well written and well acted, and the major beats will absolutely steal your heart. My only gripes are pacing issues in the middle of the game, a holdover from the original Persona 5 as that had the same issues. I will say that after the dip in the mid point of the game, once the story starts firing off around 60% of the way through, it never relents. The last half of the game is a giant build up all coalescing in the arc I spoke about at the top; the final Semester. No spoilers here, but if this is how the future of the series looks, I am 100000% in.

So yes, that is my review of Persona 5 Royal. A mountainous recommend from me, will be extremely shocked if this isn't my GOTY for 2020
  88. May 30, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal is an experience to not be taken lightly. From beginning to end, this will create an immersion never seen in videogames before. The best game I have ever played, Persona 5 has stolen my heart and I don't want it back!
  89. Jun 1, 2020
    IMO, literally the best JRPG ever made. P5 was already REALLY good, but Royal adds something that the original lacked, a satisfying ending. The only thing that I think they could've done better was the difficulty, they could've added a harder difficulty, but it's still fine if you don't abuse the fusions.
  90. Jun 15, 2020
    After the vanilla P5, I've become such a big fan and it has become one of my favourite games of all time. When Royal was announced I thought how could the possibly top it and improve on such an amazing game? Well they did, and here is why I think so. However, I'm not going to say it was completely perfect, but then again the vanilla P5 wasn't either.

First of all, they did improve

First of all, they did improve various story elements from the first game, providing more clarity to the story, which I very much appreciated and they fine tuned that stylish graphical style. Atlus added 2 new characters and tie into the story perfectly in my opinion. In particular, the Counsellor who was a great add and his social link I found very interesting. Additionally, for those who are familiar with the original P5, making Akechi an actual confidant to invest time in was a great move as it deepens that bond between the main character and him. They added an 3rd semester which adds more to an already amazing story. Moreover, the boss of this semester was very memorable to me, the boss made me rethink the values of myself and the characters. Quite frankly, it was kinda emotional for me. Also I have to give credits to the amazing soundtrack! I didn't think they could top the soundtrack from the previous one, but in my opinion they did top it, only just slightly. One of the main reason why P5 is loved by most fans is the combat, they improved on various elements of the combat, adding showtime moves, technical damage and improving on baton passing. This made combat a lot more fun and stylish to say the least.

To the reasons why the game just fell short of a perfect 10 for me, I wanted to talk about the new semester they added. Don't get me wrong, I loved that they added an additional semester but it feels a bit too short for my taste, it doesn't really feel like all the other semesters in the game. I felt there wasn't much to do in this semester, maybe because I've maxed all social links by this time. Not a big issue but something to keep in mind. The last, but minor, issue I had, was with the new updates to the combat, I felt like it made it too easy if you know how to exploit the many systems it has. Baton passing with other members of your party can now be upgraded to deal more damage and technicals too. I found myself upping the difficult to the max just for more of a challenge.

Overall, I love this game and it does a lot to improve on the original game. It does have issues that makes it fall short of a perfect game for me but I think the best parts of this game made me forget most of it. If you wish to buy this game full price, great! But if you wish to wait for a sale or even just buy the original game, can't say it's a bad idea. The original game is just as amazing.
  91. Jun 19, 2020
    this is a near-perfect game. but its just an updated persona 5.
    most of the complaints for the first version are fixed and have a few things added. like new monsters and a few new spots on the maps with will seeds.
    this is a near-perfect game. but its just an updated persona 5.

my biggest problem with the game is most of the added stuff feels like it could have just been patched into the original game. even the mew 3rd semester feels like cut short DLC.

wile i still love the game and is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, i do wish their more to the game to make it worth buying another persona 5 game.
  92. Jun 30, 2020
    The game is masterpiece, if you looking for:
    good JRPG ✅
    solid story ✅
    amazing music ✅
    stunning animation ✅
  93. Jun 22, 2020
  94. Jun 25, 2020
    Somehow, and I don't know how this is possible, but it's even better than Persona 5. A fantastic addition to the game with really top notch improvements, fantastic new characters and an expanded story. I already loved Persona 5 and I love Persona 5 Royal even more. I highly recommend this, it's the best game of 2020 so far in my opinion, if you haven't brought this game, you owe it toSomehow, and I don't know how this is possible, but it's even better than Persona 5. A fantastic addition to the game with really top notch improvements, fantastic new characters and an expanded story. I already loved Persona 5 and I love Persona 5 Royal even more. I highly recommend this, it's the best game of 2020 so far in my opinion, if you haven't brought this game, you owe it to yourself to play it. Even if you bought persona 5, there's a heap of new content hear that makes a new purchase well worth the money. I'm so glad I played Persona 5, and I'm so glad I played Persona 5 Royal too. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  95. Jun 26, 2020
    So, the original P5 was one of my favorite JRPG, and my favorite JRPG from the PS4. Does P5 Royal manage to do better? Yes. But if you thought the original game was already too long, or had too much dialogues, it's probably not for you. If you loved it, this new version is better. New characters (I loved Kasumi), a new semester at the end with a new palace, new scenes, a few new combatSo, the original P5 was one of my favorite JRPG, and my favorite JRPG from the PS4. Does P5 Royal manage to do better? Yes. But if you thought the original game was already too long, or had too much dialogues, it's probably not for you. If you loved it, this new version is better. New characters (I loved Kasumi), a new semester at the end with a new palace, new scenes, a few new combat mechanics, around 30 new music, Memento is bigger and not the same, and they also added lots of little things here and then, including a new place to hang out with your friends. It's still fun, still addictive, the characters are still amazing, the final is great (with a bad guy who is really interesting in his motivations). Atlus made it again! Expand
  96. Jun 26, 2020
    Who knew one of the greatest games of all time could be made even better!!!
  97. Apr 7, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game is better than persona 5 that is until the okumura fight which is worse than the orginal game.

However there is a mistake in story line Haru says she is a 3rd year Helping out teachers on school trip then says that you a second year is older??.

There is no way to dump girlfriends in this game and no way to contact people by phone and have them met you instead of you going to them would have been nice to have a way to go to any confidant at any time and have an app icon to display if you can do stuff with them that day (the fast travel map does this to some degree but doesn't show exactly who you can meet. It would be nice if you could turn off special attacks but still inflict the damage. Some cut scenes in game don't change based on who your in releationship with which means you don't get into real conflict due to comments of so called friends (e g ryuji hitting on ann for example when she is your girlfriend , and your girlfriend not commenting when you say something about other girls due to ryuji. E.g No one on team knows if your dating someone. It would also be nice if you could set rush attacks to either attack or magic attacks. The improvements in this game include more and new fusion mechanics, new monsters, improved cut scences , palace redesgins , more useful menmentos , new attack moves, improved story locations. New confidants . For example when we went to the beach with futaba i was already max rank with Ann and in romance with her but game still made me hint on other girls at beach with the other males on my team, there was no option to decline this and in real life it would upset your girl if you got caught its like encouraging cheating.

The palace designer thing is interesting its just a shame you can't set up boss fights and things inside it and fight in your own palace and others in a sand box mode where you can edit personas /special attacks (create your own attacks) set the damage of attacks , set the hp of the boss etc, set up what status moves it can use , what weaknesses it has and change its cosmetic colouring .. (I haven't really explored this 100% yet so i might need to change this part of the review.) . I do kind of which they had left the reaper weather aligment effects in as it is a away to power level characters they could have balanced this by making reapers only appear when you have no requests in mementos making you waste a day on it Finally i wish they had made a new part of the story when you have to finish 2 palaces in a certain time frame (where competing one basically has you fail the other for some extra consquences or something. The game is almost at perfection levels.. Game is great however i am just stating possibilites for even further improvement. (Finally for a persona 6 its a shame we can't bring back past characters from p3, p4 and p5 and imply that all of the events from each took place at the same time.)
  98. Mar 31, 2020
    After 150 hours with OG P5, did you feel it might not justifiyng to buy the same game again? No, you not right. This is the same game but mixed with new content pretty well.

Also #BreakFreePersona
  99. May 16, 2020
    Las notas bajas son de las personas sentidas por que el juego se venda a precio completo siendo una revisión. No están juzgando el juego en sí.

Que no les quepa dudas. Este juego es una obra maestra. Jueguenlo y lo disfrutarán :3
  100. Jun 2, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was outstanding. Every little thing added to this game enhances the experiences, be it the pictures you sometimes get from your team in the group chat, to new events and locations scattered throughout the game. And the final palace oh GOD. Easily the best dungeon in the entire game and Maruki is hands down one of if not the best antagonist in the entire series. Even if you've played the original P5, give Royal a shot if you haven't yet. It's totally worth it Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 71 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 10, 2020
    Persona 5 Royal allows players to experience the story they already love in a new way without losing any of the beauty from the original game. New and old characters get their chance to shine through and steal your heart, even the ones you never expected to. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and maybe you’ll even feel a sense of justice for the infamous Phantom Thieves in the end. But one thing you won’t feel is regret in picking up Persona 5 Royal, as it’s truly the best Persona title, if not one of the best video games, I’ve ever experienced to date.
  2. May 20, 2020
    This is not more of the same, this is not an optional add-on to the original game. This, my friends, is the perfect experience, down to the last letter, down to the last minute. Persona 5 Royal is a Japanese crown jewel.
  3. Apr 30, 2020
    All of the new additions and content mean that Persona 5 Royal is a clear upgrade to the original. New players should seek this version without hesitation, although vets may find starting the game over from scratch to be too big an ask. Either way, there’s no doubt that Persona 5 Royal sits proudly on the throne of Peak Persona… or at least it will until Atlus decides they can do even more with it.