7.3

1. Aug 30, 2020
    Golf Club 2019 was a fantastic game that was near perfect. They’ve killed the franchise with this game. The “tempo” and “timing” aspects of the swing mechanics are incredibly frustrating and nearly impossible to understand. Feels as though the game just randomly chooses whether or not your shot will go where it wants to. The putting was screwed up in its entirety for 50% of players untilGolf Club 2019 was a fantastic game that was near perfect. They’ve killed the franchise with this game. The “tempo” and “timing” aspects of the swing mechanics are incredibly frustrating and nearly impossible to understand. Feels as though the game just randomly chooses whether or not your shot will go where it wants to. The putting was screwed up in its entirety for 50% of players until the latest software update. This game is not fun... I can honestly post a lower golf score in real life than I can in this game. And this is by someone who nearly mastered the golf club 2019. Just a shame... Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2020
    It had been a while since I played a golf game. I really wanted to like this one, but unfortunately it is crap. The game is made virtually unplayable by the hit sticks. The only way you can play this game is by dumbing down the swing difficulty to the easiest level. Putting is brutal, where even 3 foot puts are very difficult to make. These should be gimmie puts, but the game will punishIt had been a while since I played a golf game. I really wanted to like this one, but unfortunately it is crap. The game is made virtually unplayable by the hit sticks. The only way you can play this game is by dumbing down the swing difficulty to the easiest level. Putting is brutal, where even 3 foot puts are very difficult to make. These should be gimmie puts, but the game will punish you if you cannot create a perfect swing. The game looks great and surely is customizable, however the swing mechanics (the core of any golf game) are crappy, brutal and punishing. BTW if you want to play online competitively, the default setting for online play is PRO......so good luck hitting the fairway consistently.

Bring back Hot Shots Golf on PS4.
  3. Aug 22, 2020
    Look elsewhere if you are looking for a golf game that is deep with equipment options to improve your game. The starting equipment is basically the best in the game making purchasing new clubs mostly a cosmetic change. Older games have done a much better job of making equipment useful and something worth earning. You cant even buy different balls which can affect your game. Solid physics,Look elsewhere if you are looking for a golf game that is deep with equipment options to improve your game. The starting equipment is basically the best in the game making purchasing new clubs mostly a cosmetic change. Older games have done a much better job of making equipment useful and something worth earning. You cant even buy different balls which can affect your game. Solid physics, graphics are sub par. Decent simulation but career mode lacks any real depth. Game feels unpolished, rushed and almost as if they just felt they needed to make a golf game but didn't really have any passion for the game. Really left disappointed, was hoping for more. I realize the versions in the past by EA were more arcade type but they felt deeper. Expand
  4. Aug 29, 2020
    All in all a good golf game. I love the fact that you customise every part of the game, from swing difficulty to course and Ai difficulty. Makes the game accessable to all types of players. Career mode perhaps not as good as it could be , but its pretty good, lacks a little depth maybe. One real annoying thng is you have to be connected to the HB studios servers all the time, but if youAll in all a good golf game. I love the fact that you customise every part of the game, from swing difficulty to course and Ai difficulty. Makes the game accessable to all types of players. Career mode perhaps not as good as it could be , but its pretty good, lacks a little depth maybe. One real annoying thng is you have to be connected to the HB studios servers all the time, but if you can put up with that and you like golf games then this a buy. Expand
  5. Sep 12, 2020
    Not perfect, but a solid game. Many difficulty options: make it a nice easy relaxing game, or hardcore sim with no player aids. It's up to you. People are whining about the change to tempo, but the changes are for the better. Backswing is now fore adjusting the power of your shot, downswing has a speed setting, so you have to get it right, and it is sensitive to your input. So there is noNot perfect, but a solid game. Many difficulty options: make it a nice easy relaxing game, or hardcore sim with no player aids. It's up to you. People are whining about the change to tempo, but the changes are for the better. Backswing is now fore adjusting the power of your shot, downswing has a speed setting, so you have to get it right, and it is sensitive to your input. So there is no "tempo" mechanic at all as it existed in TGC19. Putting is more sensitive to your input, as well, and as a result it's more tricky...again, people will cry about it.

Visuals didn't take a big leap, but it is a smoother experience than before. Grids are larger and easier to read. So, graphics are serviceable but don't expect anything revolutionary here. They get the job done and really now....do you need cutting edge graphics in a golf game? Please, quiet now, stop complaining.

The big problems are the new career mode needing an online connection. Why? WHY? I know 2K is behind this. Maybe to push mtx, to keep people from hacking items or cash (even though mtx's are very tame in this game, thank goodness)? I have no clue. Also, solo societies are gone. Again, WHY? Nothing to replace it, either. So essentially this game has very little offline content. Online local matches, solo or mp. That's something, I guess.

If they had they had Career mode not require a connection and kept the solo societies, I'd say this game deserves an 8, or even a 9. As such, I give it a 7.
  6. Sep 1, 2020
    We've been waiting for a solid golf game for years, with TGC making it seem as though golf is for beige, robotic players with too much time on their hands. But along comes PGA 2k21 to make things even again.

All in all, it's a solid title: the gameplay is decent, the difficulty customisation makes it very easy to enter the scene or play like a pro, and the pick-up-and-play factor is far and away one of the most accessible in any recent sports game.

The cons come in the heart and soul. The career mode is lifeless, with your character playing through the course, seeing their trophy pop up on screen, then on to the next one. Where Tiger Woods PGA (the only comparable option) had heart and soul in its retro modes, customisable celebrations and catchphrases, and an overall depth in its career, this just feels slapped together. You could have had interviews, or sponsorships with real ramifications (good and bad), or even rivalry systems with dialogue. I understand that this is supposed to be the start of a new era, but if you're comparing between the career mode of, say, NBA 2k17, the experience here is lacklustre at best. Add to that the VERY limited customisation options, and the fact that the clothes and gear don't really add anything substantial, and you have a technically brilliant and easy to play game that doesn't really make a dent in terms of wanting to pick it up and go, when there are so many other sports games at the same price that will immerse you in their world.

More Adam Scott than Tiger Woods, if you catch my drift.
  7. Aug 22, 2020
    A great, feature packed golf game.

There are a few bugs on PS4 (stuttering swing, inconsistent tempo, ball going straight through crowd), but this is certainly a step up from the Golf Club 2019. Bugs will be fixed with updates. Ignoring that, the game is perfect for golf lovers and nicely setup to create communities within the game. The only major complaint is that the commentators keep
    A great, feature packed golf game.

The only major complaint is that the commentators keep referring to you as “they” or “them”. Please change this HB studios. It makes no sense and it’s super annoying.
  8. Sep 8, 2020
    fun game. 2k is lazy fixing skins and 4 man as it Has not worked from day 1. Menus for online societies lazy. I am unable to know if I already played my tournament without having to log in and look. May seem like not a big deal, but to log in and to log out of each community takes several minutes with how slow their menu screens are. Wish there was more companies and being able tofun game. 2k is lazy fixing skins and 4 man as it Has not worked from day 1. Menus for online societies lazy. I am unable to know if I already played my tournament without having to log in and look. May seem like not a big deal, but to log in and to log out of each community takes several minutes with how slow their menu screens are. Wish there was more companies and being able to customize or even pick your ball. But I guess 2k rushed. Overall fun game though. Wish there was more of a live feeling playing online tournaments. Expand
  9. Aug 26, 2020
    Great game. Much needed for the PS4 generation. Fun career mode as well with tons of courses and events.
  10. Oct 2, 2020
    The graphics in this game are hardly an improvement from the previous game. You would think with the developers having a publisher with more money than the publishers they had before, we would be seeing better graphics. Unfortunately, the developers are too greedy and lazy to improve the graphics.

That being said, the gameplay is amazing in this game. The physics are great and you can create your own course with advanced customization options and neat props. The career mode could have been better.
  11. Aug 28, 2020
    Amazing, so glad to have AAA golf back
    Can’t wait for next years, just needs a few more licenses
  12. Aug 23, 2020
    By far best golf game made for ps4. It's not tiger woods arcade style play. McIlroy golf game was not good. The golf club games were not great. This mixes the 2 and is a great game. Its tiger woods mixed with golf club games. Looks like tiger woods games but has the realism of the golf club games. You cant control spin mid shot. You need to plan your shots before swinging the club.By far best golf game made for ps4. It's not tiger woods arcade style play. McIlroy golf game was not good. The golf club games were not great. This mixes the 2 and is a great game. Its tiger woods mixed with golf club games. Looks like tiger woods games but has the realism of the golf club games. You cant control spin mid shot. You need to plan your shots before swinging the club. Which to me actually makes it better. Its half real and half arcade. Well done and the creations course is really well.done. If you're looking for the total arcade style playing (spin mid air, have a ball that makes your play better etc you may be dissapointed) but if you're looking for a solid real golf game, this is it. Well done 2k. You guys made a mess of nba and wwe games...you made up for that here

Lots of clothes and clubs...I would give this game a 10 if they added celebrations like the woods games had
  13. Aug 23, 2020
    This is a really fun golf game. All the variety of options you can adjust makes this game accessible to the most novice of players and can be adjusted to challenge the most hardcore of sim golf game players. It works great for couch play and it’s serviceable for on line gaming as well. The presentation needs work and it lacks the depth you expect from a 2K sports game. While not as deep asThis is a really fun golf game. All the variety of options you can adjust makes this game accessible to the most novice of players and can be adjusted to challenge the most hardcore of sim golf game players. It works great for couch play and it’s serviceable for on line gaming as well. The presentation needs work and it lacks the depth you expect from a 2K sports game. While not as deep as 2K basketball it’s depth is comparable to the death of MLB the show. It’s an awesome game that still has room for growth. I’m happy with and really enjoying PGA 2k21 and I’m super excited to see the next iteration of this game. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2020
    Every single game mode for this game (including the single player career mode) requires a connection to 2k's servers. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the server go down about every 30 minutes. This means you can't even play your single player story mode career. The game is pretty much useless until they fix the servers. Only reason I'm give a 2 is because when you CANEvery single game mode for this game (including the single player career mode) requires a connection to 2k's servers. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the server go down about every 30 minutes. This means you can't even play your single player story mode career. The game is pretty much useless until they fix the servers. Only reason I'm give a 2 is because when you CAN play, the game is fairly decent. Expand
  15. Aug 31, 2020
    This game is much improved from The Golf Club 2019. There are a wide variety of customization options to make the game as arcade-like or extremely difficult. The rough and heavy rough textures are also much better and actually look like grass compared to the blocky textures in The Golf Club. This franchise has a lot of potential for further improvement, but please bring back offline societies.
  16. Sep 4, 2020
    Really fun game and a much needed new Golf game to play. Career mode is is really fun but there is some work to do. For a 2k game it seems like the career mode could definitely be deeper. Gameplay is very fun and realistic and the graphics are very good. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more of these games just hoping they continue to add on to career mode
  17. Sep 10, 2020
    First off, the controller is too sensitive and the swings are too unforgiving to play a decent competitive game. Second, you can not build your character and then play with that character on someone else’s console in a local mode. This game is for solo play or online play. Sitting on a sofa with a friend playing golf is not a good experience. Third, the alternative clubs seem to be more ofFirst off, the controller is too sensitive and the swings are too unforgiving to play a decent competitive game. Second, you can not build your character and then play with that character on someone else’s console in a local mode. This game is for solo play or online play. Sitting on a sofa with a friend playing golf is not a good experience. Third, the alternative clubs seem to be more of a disadvantage that with other golf franchises where buying clubs increases abilities. Forth, you can only build one character to play with.

All of these reasons are why I feel I wasted my money on this game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 41 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 25, 2020
    A great golfing simulator with a brilliant core - the sport itself. Its production values and career are significantly worse, but the gameplay is just so very good that it doesn’t matter too much, plus there’s the fantastic course editor.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 18, 2020
    The only downside to this year’s game, as with The Golf Club, are the visuals. Even knocking balls about a clifftop woodland can feel sterile. But then the game offers an easy-to-use course creator and all is forgiven. Placing accessibility on par with accuracy, this is a golf sim so realistic you can smell the freshly laundered acid-blue chinos. [Issue#180, p.72]
  3. Sep 16, 2020
    PGA Tour 2K21 is a fun, enjoyable golf game that has made me into a begrudging fan. It still could use some work on the presentation front, but with underlying mechanics this good already, I'm excited for the future of the franchise.