7.4

1. Feb 6, 2018
    I signed up to Metacritic just to leave this review.

I like fantasy games and I like RPGs. I don't care about graphics. This is just a terrible game. Poor in so many ways. Fanservice - you get an unskippable loading screen to tell you about Kickstarter. You get other loading screens that mention it. Then you get many random NPCs that are written by Kickstarters. Then there are
    I signed up to Metacritic just to leave this review.

Fanservice - you get an unskippable loading screen to tell you about Kickstarter. You get other loading screens that mention it. Then you get many random NPCs that are written by Kickstarters. Then there are all the memorials dotted around the map written by Kickstarters. Does anyone care about immersion anymore?

Loading screens - 36 seconds every time I want to enter a room or area. If you want to talk to someone on the upper floor of a building, it is a two minute wait to get in and out, all together. If you need to reload because you made the wrong decision, it's a good minute and a half of loading screen. I spend more time reading my book than "playing" this.

Combat - you enter a new area, you meet a couple of huge beetles you dispatch without issue. You open a door - surprise! Six enemies that can kill you without effort. There is no indication in some areas of how tough you need to be in order to advance.

Quests - you should NEVER be allowed to unwittingly make a choice that means you cannot advance another quest. I am thinking about letting the spider queen live, which means you can't enchant a weapon. Is there a warning? No. Does it make sense? No. Why should you kill something that is no threat to you?

The reputation thing - far too easy to end up with a grab bag of reputation. How can I have a reputation for honesty and deviousness? Wouldn't it be a sliding scale?

Unplayable. I'm in Act II and I have decided to try to sell it.
  2. Sep 22, 2017
    I just don't know what I'm missing here. I very much enjoyed the PC version, but got distracted with a move and never quite returned to it to finish it up. I've been doing a lot of PS4 gaming lately so I was excited to get back into this world to finish up the adventure, but man...what a mess.

Between the godawful interface (and I mean, it's just terrible) and the interminable load times (I can wait sometimes a minute or more when going from one floor to another in a dungeon), and I just cannot believe this game wasn't pilloried by reviewers (professional or otherwise). I remember the load times on the PC were pretty bad, but this is "screw this, I'm uninstalling" territory especially when considering how small most area are, with each requiring a load screen.

I'd give this adaptation one star if it weren't for the awesome game it's based on. The story is still great and the mechanics and play style are a wonderful throwback. Nevertheless, I'm giving this one up and going back to my Steam copy and wishing I'd spent the money on Original Sin instead.
  3. Nov 2, 2019
    Wow the constant lengthy frequent load times and the worst A.I. pathing ever. Yeah they really went for the old school feel not just on the artistic level, but the actual technical level ( sarcastic.exe. executed ). The story and combat was not compelling enough to override the technical mess. I was out after several hours of what is supposed to be a seventy hour journey or something. GladWow the constant lengthy frequent load times and the worst A.I. pathing ever. Yeah they really went for the old school feel not just on the artistic level, but the actual technical level ( sarcastic.exe. executed ). The story and combat was not compelling enough to override the technical mess. I was out after several hours of what is supposed to be a seventy hour journey or something. Glad we can still trade in games on console unlike PC woo hoo! Expand
  4. Apr 21, 2020
    F*** ZERO!

I'll tell you why: This game has an enormous reliance on stats! And there's are enemy types like ghosts that take sh*t on your stats. SINCE 2015 has this not been fixed. FOR FIVE YEARS NO PATCH. This defeats the purpose of an RPG. You can't do anything against this enemy except praying. I don't care how great your story or writing is, okay? You're selling an RPG. If your
    F*** ZERO!

I don't care how great your story or writing is, okay? You're selling an RPG. If your RPG has enemies that you can't do anything about except getting on your knees and praying for the dice to roll in your favor - F*** OFF. I wasted two hours figuring out how to challenge those ghosts only to read on the forums that those are basically balance bugs and there's nothing one can do really. GREAT.

WORTHLESS GAME but a great book.
  5. Sep 20, 2019
    If you like a game that crashes constantly with ps2 graphics then this is the game for you. If you want a game that that allows you to take a bath between load screens, yes this game can accommodate you! The story is decent but the constant pause screen that automatically pops up every 10 seconds during a fight is insanely annoying. I’m around 90 hours into it and still have a dlc toIf you like a game that crashes constantly with ps2 graphics then this is the game for you. If you want a game that that allows you to take a bath between load screens, yes this game can accommodate you! The story is decent but the constant pause screen that automatically pops up every 10 seconds during a fight is insanely annoying. I’m around 90 hours into it and still have a dlc to start. It is a huge time commitment. I like long games but every time you go anywhere, whoop you get an extensively long load screen. It’s probably a good game on computer, but the ps4 just can’t handle it correctly. Nothing is more fun than fighting a boss for half an hour and then having the game crash. Which it does 5 or 6 times every time I play it. Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2020
    So I ran out of games to play and decided to pick this up. Hands down one of the worst RPG’s I have ever played. The game is physically exhausting to play. All the effort put in to create an immersive experience is wiped away with the constant loading screens at every turn. Divinity Original Sin is 100 times better at ever turn.
  7. Nov 14, 2020
    I just cannot take this much loading time. Otherwise the game would probably be around 7. I liked the story very much, the voice acting is great, the battles are a bit chaotic and found the window of tactical possibilities a bit narrow, but still decent. I feel like they just stole the whole class and progression system from D&D, but since that is decent too I don't really consider it aI just cannot take this much loading time. Otherwise the game would probably be around 7. I liked the story very much, the voice acting is great, the battles are a bit chaotic and found the window of tactical possibilities a bit narrow, but still decent. I feel like they just stole the whole class and progression system from D&D, but since that is decent too I don't really consider it a downside. So it would be a good game really, but the long loading screends just suck the good out of it. I would want to finish it but cant make myself doing it. I could accept if it had like 5 minutes loading time between 2 big areas. Then I would drink, pee, take a short break while it is working. But it has like 1 min loading screen between two levels of a house, or when you enter a tiny cave or anything similar. Imagine: the task is simply to speak with someone in town. You are already in that town but she is in the neighbour-disctrict and in a house on the second floor (ex. one of the main quest giver is like this) that means 5 (FIVE) f*kin loading screen. Out of town when you don't have that much closed spaces it is tolerable (just barely, but it is). But in town it is just too much. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 23, 2017
    Not for everyone but if you can see past its issues, herein lies a phenomenal old school RPG.
  2. Oct 16, 2017
    Although the porting issues affect the experience enough to bog it down a bit, they're not so extreme as to ruin it. PoE is that rare game where each of its components, from the story and writing to the audiovisual aesthetics, are individually exceptional yet manage to combine into something greater still. It presents a level of immersion that leaves a lasting impression, and you owe it to yourself to experience it firsthand.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 15, 2017
    A love letter to old-fashioned RPGs, but like all passionate romances you'll need to take the rough with the smooth. [Nov 2017, p.92]