7.0

1. Dec 24, 2017
    Romancing Saga 2 lets you play through multiple lines of a royal family as you fight evil forces. The concept sounds better than it actually is as it really feels more like having to start the game over again many times. The story is fun and watching your kingdom grow is fun tho.Some fans of JRPGs will enjoy this but most people will want to avoid this one.
  2. Dec 23, 2017
    I played Romancing Saga 3 a long time ago and loved how unique it was, so I jumped to support and play Romancing Saga 2 when it was released this year (vita version specifically).

I love how unique some of the concepts are and am surprised I haven't seen other games emulate more of them. Overall I think this is a very good game, considering when it was made. Unfortunately there are

Unfortunately there are some inexcusable flaws with the port of this game that should have been addressed. I won't list them all here but they include not getting any information on basically how this game works and how to play. There's no info on what stats do or how skills are learned. I don't mind to a certain extent but some basic info is required.

Next, the UI seems very much geared towards mobile to a detrimental effect. There's just not much information in the menus.

For example, you can only see the description for an item from the inventory menu, not on the equipment menu. You can't see something in the inventory menu while it's equipped. And some items are unequipable.

I love how you go through generations and get new characters, but towards the end of the game it can take nearly an hour to set up a new party. You can remove and add skills, but only one skill at a time even though you probably want a bunch for a certain weapon type. You can teach multiple magics, but only one at a time even though you probably want all spells for that element. The interface for doing all of this is very inefficient. You can add a bunch of different character classes but for some of them you have to trek through dungeons just to get them each time. There are multiple small issues like this that add up to a bad modern experience.

Finally, I like that the enemies scale to your level, but they could have updated the balancing a bit for this release. You will randomly face enemies that seem tens of levels above the other enemies in the area, and before you know it the whole party is wiped dead. This wouldn't be so bad if the sprite wasn't the same as all of the others and if you didn't have to wait for them to act to see how strong they are.

I wouldn't blame Square that much if they released at a price that reflects they level of improvements they made to the earlier ports, however for these flaws to still exist I can only recommended getting this game if you see it on sale. It's not really worth more than $9.99 at best.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 23, 2018
    Romancing SaGa 2 is a wonderful little game, hidden away from American audiences and after putting some time in the game, it is easy to see why it is beloved by its long time backers. It is as simple as things come, gameplay wise, but the story is complex beyond what could be expected for that gaming era, with twists and turns based on your choices and interactions. The remastering is not always perfect, but it mixes the old and new together well.
  2. Jan 23, 2018
    If you're looking for a quirky old-school RPG, Romancing SaGa 2 is right up your alley. There's perhaps a reason it never got a release in the west until now; it's far from being a player-friendly. Many of the quirks that make Romancing SaGa 2 so special are things that many modern players aren't most likely to enjoy, so you must be sure what you're signing up for before you lead the Kingdom of Avalon to the glory.
  3. Jan 19, 2018
    Those who look for a JRPG which includes a high difficulty challenge that emanates from the player's choices, will surely be satisfied from an all-time classic like Romancing Saga 2.