3.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jul 23, 2015
    This is not a whole game. This is an insult.
    These are the things I thought of while playing this game:
    1. NO ONE involved in this game played the previous EA PGA games. 2. The physics are great. 3. This is NOT the scale a next-gen game (commentary is repetitive, few courses, a laughable character creator.) 4. NO ONE beta tested this game and gave feedback... 5. This feels like a
    This is not a whole game. This is an insult.
    These are the things I thought of while playing this game:
    1. NO ONE involved in this game played the previous EA PGA games.
    2. The physics are great.
    4. NO ONE beta tested this game and gave feedback...
    5. This feels like a demo.
    6. EA, you had 2 YEARS to make this game... You're a billion dollar company.. "EA sports. It's in the game.." .... no, it's up your nose.
    7. Rory, I don't know who you are, (I don't follow professional golf) but you will now always be "that guy that put his name on a terrible demo".
    8. Night golf is an iPhone game.
    9. I'm dusting off my XBOX360 to play Tiger '13: Masters Edition.
    10. I'M DUSTING OFF MY XBOX360 to play TIGER WOODS 2013: Masters Edition...... (maybe I'll buy a PS2 to play Tiger 2010.....)
  2. Aug 6, 2015
    I'll start by saying I'm not the casual (play a game here and there golfer) I typically play around 4-5k rounds a year and have since the inception of Tiger Woods golf , and though most rounds consisted of a 9 hole 4 ball I'm still well north of a half million holes under my belt so i know what I'm talking about in this message
    I'm not going to rant about the ridiculous customization
    I'm not going to rant about the ridiculous customization limitations , lack of courses and stupid animations because so many people have already addressed that. But here's some real issues I have with the game.

1) No country clubs ... I've met so many friends over the last few years playing online and we built a close friendship mainly due to having a country club we were all a part of. We all built something together from the ground up watching it grow as we tried to move up in the ranks. Its something we were all proud of, growing from a few golfers to a club of 90+ golfers. Although not everybody was a hardcore golfers we still had the couple dozen hardcore golfers that played EVERY night for years and everybody that played online either knew us, feared us, or just enjoyed playing against us and was just one of several hundred clubs that felt the same

2) No team sports ... What can I say ?? Who doesn't enjoy a good team sport where you and your partner are relying on each other to pull out the victory. I personally loved the excitement and the pressure of having to make that 20 foot breaker to keep us in the match when your partners shot went astray

3) The view .... How many people actually go out and play golf with other people and never watch them hit a shot ? I understand if you want to play a speedy match then that's fine when playing stroke simultaneous, but at least when you finish the hole you should be able to cycle through your opponents and see who your playing and get their POV. Just like in real golf, spectators sit back and watch when you have that impossible shot out of the deep bunker with a side hill lie and think ( how is he going to hit this?)

to sum it up Tiger woods was a great game that just needed a little tweaking with updated graphics, a few glitches fixed and updates courses. EA can kiss my ass and will not get another dime from me until they resolve these issues!!
  3. Jul 19, 2015
    I'm giving this game a 3 .... and that's generous. If you're a golfer you will NOT like this game. EA just can't seem to release their golf titles without making obvious and horrible mistakes.

The Good: 1. The courses are very well laid out and the graphics are excellent. 2. The two fantasy courses would be fun to play if it weren't for "The Bad". 3. Four people can play at once

The Good:

1. The courses are very well laid out and the graphics are excellent.
    2. The two fantasy courses would be fun to play if it weren't for "The Bad".
    3. Four people can play at once unlike some previous versions where the limit was two players.
    4. You can see other players .... sometimes (see the bad also on this topic).

The Bad:

1. Double Bogey is the stroke limit? Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!? The same producer who, on previous versions, decided to have a two player limit (thankfully that is no longer the case), must have made that decision. This in itself is a fatal flaw not allowing me to give it more than a 3. No real golf would ever allow that kind of limitation. Watch a round of PGA golf and even the pros triple bogey or more on occasion. If it's a speed of play issue then make it a selectable limitation by the person who sets up the session.
    2. Sometimes you actually can't see the other players as advertised. All you see is a ball. It's hit or miss when the game let's you see other players.
    3. The first game I played .... on the hardest mode and on a difficult course I shot a 74. EA, it's OK to make the game challenging.
    4. There are times where you are in a deep bunker and it's simply not possible to get out by any means except a full swing which takes you 50 yards or more past the target.
    5. GTA golf, although it lacks a variety of courses, is at least as good as this golf game.
    6. Time limit??? Do we really need to force this on people? Make it an option.
    7. Very little customization of anything at all. Many of the flaws could be fixed by simply making settings available at game setup (e.g. Time Limits, Stroke Limit). EA ripped out 90% of what has always been customizable in previous versions.
    8. The camera is poorly implemented. There are occasions where you can't see your golfer nor can you even see where you're aiming nor can you see your swing.

The people in charge of design decisions clearly are NOT golfers and don't understand the game at all. EA, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a real golfer run through the design document next time.

In retrospect I wouldn't have paid $5 for this game.
  4. Jul 21, 2015
    I am not going to waste too much time on this as I have already wasted £50. The best way to compare this game is with Gran Turismo. A racing game I hear you say! Yes a racing game. I feel EA think its April fools and they are giving us Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Prologue and a full game is in the post.
  5. Jul 26, 2015
    An absolutely terrible game, next gen? Next creator please, I was really looking forward to this game fooled by videos of game play, bad graphics, lack of depth and I managed to destroy a lookout tower with a golf ball, do you destroy floodlights or stands with a football in Fifa? Next name next to this monstrosity. John Doe. Golf is dead. :(
  6. Apr 16, 2016
    I have played Tiger Woods Golf since it existed (the former EA Sports golf game). I bought a PS4 and was excited to see what EA Sports would do with Rory in the new PGA game. I assumed they got rid of Tiger over the "social issues" Tiger was having and that this game would just be an extension of Tiger Woods. I have never been so disappointed. I would rather play Tiger Woods 2014 for myI have played Tiger Woods Golf since it existed (the former EA Sports golf game). I bought a PS4 and was excited to see what EA Sports would do with Rory in the new PGA game. I assumed they got rid of Tiger over the "social issues" Tiger was having and that this game would just be an extension of Tiger Woods. I have never been so disappointed. I would rather play Tiger Woods 2014 for my XBox 360 versus play this game any day. To be brief, here are some of the major flaws:

1. It isn't realistic - for instance, the golfers take quarter swings in the bunkers as the "right" shot
    2. The commentators are terrible - within 4 holes, I heard a commentator talk about how I made the fairway (I was on the fringe), how easy my shot was (I was behind a tree), and how I needed to get back in the fairway (I was in the rough behind the green). It was ridiculous.
    3. There is no way to customize your golfer beyond extremely basic features.
    4. There are very few courses and definitely no Augusta.
    5. Just like the courses, there are a limited number of golfers.

Long story, short... I would buy an XBox 360 (or PS3) and Tiger Woods 2014 before I would spend a dime on this game. I have NEVER been so disappointed by a game. EA Sports made Tiger Woods golf and they are making Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Golf... I truly don't understand EA Sports went this far backwards in the golf game industry.
  7. Mar 25, 2017
    Worst golf game I have played. Does not even have a scratch on Tiger Woods for the PS2 console. I am not sure what they have been thinking for this game. Maybe EA re too obsessed with ripping of kids with Fifa they have neglected everything else.
  8. Jul 16, 2015
    Remember when EA Sports boasted, "It's in the Game"? Unfortunately, this no longer seems to apply to this current generation. Rory McIlroy PGA Tour is a prime example of EA doing the bare minimum and charging the maximum.

I've been anxiously awaiting a new PGA Tour since Tiger Woods 14. Stupidly, I bought this without reservation, expecting it to be at least the equal to a two year old game. Boy was I wrong. EVERYTHING is pared down compared to the final last-gen iteration. The number of licensed golfers is more than halved, the number of officially licensed courses is nothing short of laughable, and the create-a-golfer function - one of the genuinely stellar functions of the TW franchise last gen - has been absolutely gutted. Graphically, the courses look nice but there are a ton of major bugs with crowd and object rendering, draw distance, and lighting. It didn't even launch with weather functions. How the hell does a golf game in 2015 launch without weather?

Gameplay IS equally affected by these cuts. In true analog swing mode, a lot of the nuance is gone. It's practically a "digital" swing with next to no difficulty. Mash the stick hard and you swing hard. The time between the backswing and contact might as well be defined by a button press. A lot of the advanced swing functions have been completely rewritten into pre-swing button functions or outright omitted. Also, input lag is a very real issue. The Night Club mode is somewhat entertaining but it, alone, can't give this game long term appeal, IMO. Career Mode is a stripped down, bland, version of its former self that is so easy as to omit any real challenge.

I won't even go into how atrocious the play-by-play commentary is in this iteration of the franchise...

EA swears they plan on supporting the game with free updates but I just don't see that happening. I can't see a future where EA *gives away* full 18 hole courses when they know they can easily bilk players out of a couple bucks for a course or a lot more for a package of multiple courses. Even if they DO give away content for free, they'd have to give away an awful lot to bring it up to par (pun intended) with TW14 - and that's assuming they take the time to address the bugs. It's pretty sad when a PGA Tour game doesn't even have the capability of playing all four majors.

Save your money and wait until it's in the bargain bin with (supposedly) all the free content added to make it worth while. However, bear in mind that, no matter what, the gameplay is much more arcade like than previous versions.
  9. Jul 16, 2015
    I play these games solely for solo career. And in that regard this game is pretty poor.
    How poor? Well I've booted up Masters from 3 years ago on my PS3 and am currently playing that in preference.

1) Character creation. This is dumbed down to the extreme. A choice of a maximum of a dozen pre-set faces, eye colours etc - all of which are pretty hideous. If you can create one that looks like yourself with these options? I feel sorry for you.

2) Character advancement? Man, is this is dumbed down. You don't get to put points into attributes and truly customize. You pick a basic speciality (Power, Finesse and 2 others - you pick one a the start of your career) and then the game chooses where to put your earned power ups depending on which one you joined. As you progress through levels you "unlock" the other three basic types - but that just means the game makes choices in those player types for you as well.

The end of customization. :(

The game takes an age to initially load - but then is ok from hole to hole. At least that much is better.

The "Arcade" version is a waste of time.
    Why it uses the left analogue stick is beyond me, you can do whatever you like to the stick, as long as at some point it's pushed in the rough direction of "up" then at some later point it's pushed "down" it plays a perfect shot every time. The only skill is in picking the right club and line to begin with, With zero skill required with the gamepad it's actually even simpler than 3 click. Hell it's even simpler than 2 click used to be. It's so simple.. I can't actually see the point in doing it, you might as well shout at the screen" Now play the perfect shot with these settings" and it does..every time.

The graphics are 1080P (unlike some other games on this so called 2nd generation of HD console that still shrink the screen) but the detail is not very good. Graphically It's ever so slightly better than Tiger Woods 2012 on the PS3 - but not much better and you need to see them side by side to notice the difference. And the 2012 game actually has proper player skill customization, appearance customization and no game modes which are pretty much a waste of time.

If you have a PS3, get the last TW game on that platform that instead (probably $10 in the bargain section). It is definitely a lot better than this essp. if career mode and customization are important to you
  10. Jul 20, 2015
    It doesnt feel like a full game, there is so much content missing, some of it so basic, the customer creation feels so empty and lifeless, the career mode feels like a waste of time. It just feels real barebones, i would rather play a older PGA game. Avoid
  11. Jul 15, 2015
    When will people learn that we have to start the boycott of EA sports. They have had a monopoly on sports gaming for too long and continue to pump out crap to the masses. People continue to buy and EA continues to make money. As long as the money continues to spill in we can never expect EA to make a half decent game again...why would they if they can half ass it and still makeWhen will people learn that we have to start the boycott of EA sports. They have had a monopoly on sports gaming for too long and continue to pump out crap to the masses. People continue to buy and EA continues to make money. As long as the money continues to spill in we can never expect EA to make a half decent game again...why would they if they can half ass it and still make millions. We need 2K or another challenger to step in and give people a choice....then watch the EA empire crumble or actual make a good game for a change. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2015
    Fundamentally disappointing effort - especially for anyone who buys this for the single-player career mode. God only knows why, but EA decided to strip out a ton of features (most of which seem pretty basic) in this mode while also cutting way back on the number of courses and actual PGA Tour Pros. Not sure how they spent the two years this was supposedly in development, but I can'tFundamentally disappointing effort - especially for anyone who buys this for the single-player career mode. God only knows why, but EA decided to strip out a ton of features (most of which seem pretty basic) in this mode while also cutting way back on the number of courses and actual PGA Tour Pros. Not sure how they spent the two years this was supposedly in development, but I can't imagine this game was given much time or attention by the team there. In addition to the crappy career mode, the overall gameplay production is also pretty terrible. The post-shot player animations are extremely dated, the crowd animations appear to be from circa 2002, and the play-by-play commentary is awful (I know there will be some repeats, but little to no effort was put into this aspect). The one good thing to come out of this is that I've learned my lesson about pre-ordering anything from EA Sports. It's a $60 lesson, but hopefully it will keep me from making bad investments like this in the future. If you haven't bought it yet, wait a while till the price drops - no sane person could possibly justify spending $60 on this. Expand
  13. Jul 15, 2015
    Utterly disappointing single player career mode.

Too few courses! Too few golfers! EA: Please, PLEASE update this game ASAP with the old style of Career Mode. Bring back the game face feature so I can customize my player to my specs. The gameplay itself is different, but that's to be expected with everything considered. Solid enough IMO. Please learn from what made this game
    Utterly disappointing single player career mode.

Too few courses!

Too few golfers!

Please learn from what made this game GREAT in the past. It suited those seeking both single player career mode and multiplayer.

If this version had 75% of the career mode that pga 14 had... This review would be an 8 EASY with room for improvement
  14. Jul 15, 2015
    There are times when you look forward to a game for such a long time that when it does finally come you are almost scared to find out if it will be as good as you hoped it would be. The PGA Tour series has been a long loved series for me, full of ups and downs, love and hate, and even a few breaks here and there. I am so utterly disgusted with EA's newest PGA title that the game is goingThere are times when you look forward to a game for such a long time that when it does finally come you are almost scared to find out if it will be as good as you hoped it would be. The PGA Tour series has been a long loved series for me, full of ups and downs, love and hate, and even a few breaks here and there. I am so utterly disgusted with EA's newest PGA title that the game is going straight back to GameStop and I have created a MetaCritic account just to help warn those who may be on the fence about this title. Let me explain why...

The formula for all the great PGA games of the past has been pretty simple; create an accessible but fun game play mechanic, add lots of famous courses, sprinkle in a good helping of pro golfers, model it all around the real deal, and make it engaging. Rory McIlry PGA Tour does all these things, but none of them are done well and in some cases, barely done at all... I won't compare this iteration with previous versions because in all honesty I would just be re-stating what others have already said. Instead, I will just focus on this title and what it;s merits and flaws are from the perspective of a golf fan, golf player, and an avid and life long gamer.

The Good:

The biggest and only real star in this game is the graphics engine. Its Frostbite 3 and it is by far the best looking golf game we have available at the moment. No, it does not take full advantage of the FB3 engine but its pretty darn good. Scottsdale is breathtaking and Sawgrass is absolutely lovely (but scary to play, as it is in real life). Every little detail is modeled; from the blades of grass to the texture of the green to the butterflies in the air. The world really does feel alive and it captivates, right up until the moment the awe of the "fresh" and "pretty" graphics wears off.

The Bad:

The first problem is one that crops up as soon as you pop the disc in. Like any other modern title, the game must install onto your system. No problem there right? Well, the problem is that the game doesn't tell you that it is installing and instead, installed a small update then runs. At this point, it lock you into a "demo" tutorial mode with no indication of anything else. No menu, no options, no course selection. Nothing... It isn't until about 1-2 hours later when the game magically starts working that you realize it was installing but never bothered to tell you.

The next problem me and my mates that all play together ran into was the character models and how utterly horrid they are. Poor Rory looks like a PS2 model and Female face models look like they were hit in the face with a frying pan one too many times. They are awful on every count. This leads right into the marked lack of Golfers. Yeah, there are not nearly enough and some of the ones we do have aren't even golfers. Let me ask you EA, did you really think it was a good idea to have a Battlefield character as a golfer, let alone a BF map as a course? This is a PGA game, not Hot Shots...

So what about the courses? They are pretty, at least the ones you get; which isn't many. Only about half of them are real courses and the others are almost unplayable. The Grand Canyon is a sadistic mistress that does not reward you in any way. 700 yard par 5s. All in all, you get 3-4 good courses that are really worth playing. And when playing online with your friends there is a HUGE problem.

Hole timer... Yes, you heard me. Each player has a time limit on how long they have to complete the hole. So what if you have to take care of your crying kid, got to the bathroom, or maybe grab a refreshment? Too bad, you get a max stroke penalty because you cannot stop the timer. This alone put off one of the player in my group because he cannot play under these restrictions. My other friends had huge complaints, myself included,with the way the game felt.

It feels empty. It feels like a shiny paint job has been put on a 90's KIA and marked as a 2016 model. It has no soul and no feeling. The game feels like an acrade game, even on Tour mode. Putting has no feel compared to TGC, the ball physics feel fake, the shot mechanics are very inconsistent, and although playing the career mode can be fun, it too feels rather empty. Even with the help of great announcers and fans on the course cheering when I make a great shot or acting sad when I make a poor shot, I don't feel anything playing this game.

This game feels more like a tech demo than a full title. TGC is half the cost, has both real courses and thousands of user created courses, has far better game play and physics, and isn't bad looking. It is a far better golf experience, especially in multiplayer, for half the cost and from a very small studio no less. The marked lack of content in the newest PGA is just another example of EA's business model. Release a game for $60 that provides $30 of content, release DLC that will cost another $19.99 a pop until you provide a full experience, reap the rewards.

I feel bad for Rory.
  15. Jul 14, 2015
    I'll start off with the positives. I really like the actual game and the gameplay. It's actually a pretty fun game and reminds me of Tiger Woods 09, a game I played tons. Graphics aren't amazing but it's a golf game so that doesn't really bother me personally.

I gave this game a 2 because all the potential it has, has gone to waste. I'm sick of paying for games that are half assed done. As other people have said, there are a lack of characters and courses. Really that's not even a big deal because for the most part I like career mode. Problem is, career mode sucks because all the things that made this game so amazing in the past are gone. You go to create a character and you have around 15 generic faces to choose from. You have your 3 body type settings. Your hair styles are generic, can't even choose eye or face shape, and that's it. Clothing is your typical golf shirts that leave no room for making your character unique.

It's basically what you'd expect from a golf game you got off of ps plus for $19. Again the actual golfing is fun, but don't expect anything more than that.
  16. Jul 26, 2015
    This game is the epitome of what is wrong with modern gaming, companies see games as a vehicle to sell you other content so they include the bare minimum with the original game, then try to sell you the rest via DLC. The problem here is that the base game just isn't very good, the mechanics and ball physics are hilariously inconsistent and the game overall just feels dull and lacking inThis game is the epitome of what is wrong with modern gaming, companies see games as a vehicle to sell you other content so they include the bare minimum with the original game, then try to sell you the rest via DLC. The problem here is that the base game just isn't very good, the mechanics and ball physics are hilariously inconsistent and the game overall just feels dull and lacking in content. There really is no incentive to play this game, I do however have plenty of incentive to avoid EA games where possible in future. Expand
  17. Aug 4, 2015
    This is the most hideous, woeful and dire version they have ever produced.
    Seriously, do not waste your money.
    EA need to buy back every copy and bury them in the desert. There are about 3000 things wrong with it, from an avatar that looks like no-one on earth you have ever known, to lack of courses, to no weather options. You do not get the Bronze-Silver-Gold badges that can up
    This is the most hideous, woeful and dire version they have ever produced.
    Seriously, do not waste your money.

EA need to buy back every copy and bury them in the desert.

You do not get the Bronze-Silver-Gold badges that can up your points tally, there is no money to be won or anything to spend on.

There is, however, a WankerMode, which cannot be turned off, where when you hit a 3" put for a triple bogey, your golfer dances around or spins the club like he has hit a hole in one and cured cancer at the same time.

Also, the commentators seem to be watching a different game, are pretty charmless and repetitive.

I have only one thing to say to EA, "WAKE UP WAKE UP"
    (Bored to death of that)

Do not even start me on multi player, for there is nothing entertaining about zooming to a birds eye view, and getting bored, whilst you opponents make their shots (you don't see them play).

Seriously, this is going to break EA golf games permanently unless they get is fixed.

Or better still, update PGA14 to the PS4.

I would give it 0/10, and only because there is no option of negative scores.
  18. Jul 15, 2015
    Man, it is so maddening that EA seems to be completely deaf to producing a product that is in line with what the consumers want. Isn't that Business 101? How can they possibly still be in business? They continue to put games through a generic assembly line and pump them full of useless features that are easy to provide and sound favorable in previews...

I don't think the lack of courses

I don't think the lack of courses is that big of a deal at this point. There is a ton of time to continue adding to that library with DLC (that better be free). The issue is the complete lack of depth in the game. The type of depth that takes creativity and an actual desire from the company to make a game that can be great. Without a sufficient and interesting career mode, which should be the backbone of this game, it is worthless in my opinion. I'm sick of EA producing products that are a complete bore. It's like they came up with the career mode in a matter of a day or two. Where are the cut-scenes? The trophy presentations? Let alone the ability to create a golfer with more than 15 generic face options?! Give it some flare. I want to start as an Amateur and make my way to the top. But in doing so, I want it to be exciting, not a go through the motions piece of junk. So frustrating.
  19. Dec 16, 2015
    If there was a way to vote negative, I would. This game is terrible. I can't believe any golfer would put their name on this. The only fun part is the fantasy courses. It's like halfway through designing, someone said "Ehhh, that's it, I quit". It SUCKS.
  20. Jul 17, 2015
    WORST GOLF GAME EVER. Career mode: you can play 4 holes in a rd, the rest gets simulated. online against a friend, there is no alternate shot or scramble or match play. all stroke play and you cant even see the friend you're playing. you each play the hole by yourself and then the score gets update when you both finish the hole. i can't even begin to warn you about this game andWORST GOLF GAME EVER. Career mode: you can play 4 holes in a rd, the rest gets simulated. online against a friend, there is no alternate shot or scramble or match play. all stroke play and you cant even see the friend you're playing. you each play the hole by yourself and then the score gets update when you both finish the hole. i can't even begin to warn you about this game and DO NOT BUY IT!!! Oh they claim they are adding more content to download. are you kidding?? why should we have to wait? they've had 2 years to make this game and it has 8 courses (some of which are made up) and 12 golfers?? what a waste. a terrible waste of time and EA Sports should start refunding money ASAP Expand
  21. Jul 16, 2015
    I don't typical write reviews, but this game is so bad. I felt I had to do a service to all my fellow gamers. Once again EA sports has completely riped me off. Graphics are horrible. How can you make a game, two years into launch that doesn't even look as good as the PS3 game. That's just the beginning, as you have probably read on other post this game is lacking in every part of the game.I don't typical write reviews, but this game is so bad. I felt I had to do a service to all my fellow gamers. Once again EA sports has completely riped me off. Graphics are horrible. How can you make a game, two years into launch that doesn't even look as good as the PS3 game. That's just the beginning, as you have probably read on other post this game is lacking in every part of the game. This is not a new version of Tiger Woods. I will never buy an EA sports game again. Expand
  22. Feb 26, 2016
    No real opinion here.....until I get all the courses including the Masters....I will just keep giving this game zeroes. Sorry Rory........................................................
  23. Mar 29, 2016
    What can I add that has not been said by others? I have played near every golf games from Jack Nicklaus, Links, Tiger Woods and more recently The Golf Club. EA's latest offereing is a bitter disappointment. Is EA just trying to squeeze one last drop out of a golf franchise? The game is no where near as good as TW2007, in fact here we are 9 years later and EA has not bettered that version.What can I add that has not been said by others? I have played near every golf games from Jack Nicklaus, Links, Tiger Woods and more recently The Golf Club. EA's latest offereing is a bitter disappointment. Is EA just trying to squeeze one last drop out of a golf franchise? The game is no where near as good as TW2007, in fact here we are 9 years later and EA has not bettered that version. Sure the graphics are improved, but I would hardly say HD. Everything else seems a half arsxxd effort. Multilplayer is a shadow of TW2007. Expand
  24. Aug 28, 2015
    It's simple really, if you love the old school Tiger Woods titles then do not get excited, you're in for massive disappointment.

This game is lacking in almost every area and feels unfinished and rushed.

I've given it a three because i've had a bit of fun playing against a friend but we laughed throughout because of some of the glitches.
  25. Mar 9, 2017
    This is truly one of the worst games in any genre. I bought this when it came out and have been pretty underwhelmed and disappointed ever since.

1) It is half a game. The amount of courses is pitiful given the variety of the courses are the single biggest factor in giving a golf game variety. On top of this numerous single player features just seem missing or empty - you 'earn money'

On top of this numerous single player features just seem missing or empty - you 'earn money' for winning tournaments yet never see it/get to do anything with it.
    You cannot customize your characters look.
    Essentially your limited to the same courses season upon season with no real incentive to play.
    On top of this the cpu is, 9 times out of 10, awful and miles off the pace. You see in real life regular scores of -20 and greater yet the rarely, if ever, reaches this fold. It just feels too easy to pull miles ahead removing the thrill of actually winning.
    Oh and you never see who your partner is or what type of shots they played - another way all tension and drama appears to be sucked from the game.
    Finally the clubs you choose to buy count for nothing - just go for the progressively unlocked ones and that's it - no weighing up pro's and con's, just go for the obviously better. Exhilarating.
    The game has zero atmosphere period it feels like a hollow, empty shell - honestly whoever worked on this game deserves to be fired or shot, it is that bad.

2) Graphics. Man this is the PS4 yet the graphics in this game are really quite bad. Some of the textures, particularly between greens and rough, and bunkers and rough, is just wrong and looks wrong. It is as if they have been designed by somebody who has never actually seen a real golf course and just created it from a description they once heard. It is bad, so very bad.

3) Night Life Sub Game. Like seriously a lot of time clearly went into this extra game play element and that would be fine if the main game was sharp and polished but the main game is turd and this is just some weird, shiny additional turd nobody wants or asked for. Add to that this mini-game is actually quite long (oh and very very dull) and to think they spent time and money on developing this? They need their heads testing.

4) Game play itself. The swing mechanic is, well, awful. Up and down and BANG and that's it. Little to no skill. I also hate this trend of games letting you decide how hard the game should be. No, I want you, the programmer, to design the game within certain parameters which I cannot change so, when I master the game and beat it, I can say I have properly beat it at a certain setting - not 'oh I'll make the shot trajectories disappear so it challenges me' - that is an awful way to make a game harder and shows a complete lack of effort on behalf of EA.

To be honest I'm too exhausted with rage to type any more. Needless to say this is a bad game and one you should avoid whether it is $60 or $10 - whatever the price it is wasted money because there is nothing enjoyable in this experience. A rare example of everything being done awfully in a game. Well done EA.
  26. Mar 21, 2017
    EA Sports finally manage to kill a franchise. This game is appalling it fails to live up to its five immediate predecessors on an earlier generation of console! Most game modes have gone, most courses have gone, most golfers have gone. The shot system is broken, the animation is broken. The blatant Battlefield 4 promotion is unbelievably awful. I hope someone else can develop a good golfEA Sports finally manage to kill a franchise. This game is appalling it fails to live up to its five immediate predecessors on an earlier generation of console! Most game modes have gone, most courses have gone, most golfers have gone. The shot system is broken, the animation is broken. The blatant Battlefield 4 promotion is unbelievably awful. I hope someone else can develop a good golf game for this generation because EA have completely lost the plot. Expand
  27. Nov 22, 2017
    Some years ago I played Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 and loved it! The music when you loaded up the game, the sound effect when got a perfect swing, the audiovisual queue when you got a potential highlight shot, the new sponsors being presented in the tour mode by which you upgraded your character, some many things that kept you playing hour after hour. And I'm not even talking about all theSome years ago I played Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 and loved it! The music when you loaded up the game, the sound effect when got a perfect swing, the audiovisual queue when you got a potential highlight shot, the new sponsors being presented in the tour mode by which you upgraded your character, some many things that kept you playing hour after hour. And I'm not even talking about all the minigames. This game was breathing atmosphere and made golf even more cool to me—I already loved the game of for all my life so yeah, but I realize this is what is needed for a game like this to liked by many people.

So I was browsing through the PlayStation Store and saw Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour and got nostalgic and decided to get it. After downloading in full anticipation I started the game and on the menu screen I was missing something why didn't I feel hyped as I did before playing Tiger Woods, was nostalgia a culprit in this. No, it was the music I was missing. what drives all the EA Sports games from the first screen are its music, it sets the vibe for the whole game, it even keeps on going when you finally decided to end your playing session to get some well-deserved sleep! I guess there was no budget for licensed music for this game, which should be no problem if you replace it with some good tracks, but alas this was not the case.

Despite the music, I wasn't yet thrown off in giving this game a try and started the Pro Tour mode. As in every Career Mode, I had to create a player. I was trying to make up for the game saying to myself this isn't so bad, but going through the eight presets I realized it was horrible. I don't know if you have seen Robocop by Paul Verhoeven. Six out of the eight presets looked like a guy from this movie. Due to the possible age difference, some will get this reference otherwise you will have something to do since you will probably pass on this game after this review and need another way to kill some time!

Ok, so after creating my character that would be more in its environment at a Lord of The Rings casting session then on a golf course I started my first tournament. The mechanics of this game were simply on target, nothing wrong with them. I was using the pro stick control and liked it. I teed off a few times getting good tee shots I thought, but I was missing feedback on a perfect tee shot, while this was so fulfilling recalling from my memory. This kind of things, in my opinion, make the game! Together with the focus when are about to make an awesome chipshot, which wasn't there when I recovered with a pretty awesome Eagle attempt on a messed up approach. No commentary, no replays, no celebration, nothing! My glorious moment was mashed into a pulp as if I was coached by a dad whose dream I was trying fulfill. If this was intentional, EA did a good job of making me feel like this.

Is Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour a horrible game? No, I don't think so, the game mechanics are still as awesome as they have ever been. The lack of game modes and the character creation can probably be attributed to the fact that EA had to migrate the game to the PlayStation 4 its architecture. Games like these start out small and with every version, the codebase expands as a library making it possible for the developers to create new variations. Going to a new architecture forces developers to rewrite all there code, this is what might have happened to this game as well. Hopefully, EA will give this game back what it deserves, because man, did I spend a lot of time with its predecessor. I'm expecting Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2014 to drop in the mail any minute, hoping to fulfill my hunger for nostalgia and creating some fresh for the future until EA drops a new PGA Tour that does live up to the expectations!
  28. Apr 20, 2018
    I like how in the night golf challenges there's no consistency at all in level of difficulty. You can go from a hole that takes literally 1 shot and you have 3 stars to the next hole where you have to spend 30 min doing some BS that has nothing to do with golf to get 1 star. I'm glad I purchased this thinking it was a golf game then I end up playing some crazy version of Starfox where i amI like how in the night golf challenges there's no consistency at all in level of difficulty. You can go from a hole that takes literally 1 shot and you have 3 stars to the next hole where you have to spend 30 min doing some BS that has nothing to do with golf to get 1 star. I'm glad I purchased this thinking it was a golf game then I end up playing some crazy version of Starfox where i am flying a golf ball around an entire course WTF EA? Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 28, 2015
    No Tiger, no party? Not really, since Rory Mcllroy is still a good golf game and the best one on the market. Unfortunately, it's also a big waste of potential, since it's a very traditional product that stays true to its roots.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 5, 2015
    Sometimes mechanics aren't enough. [Sept 2015, p.95]
  3. Games Master UK
    Sep 1, 2015
    McIlroy's future is as promising on the virtual greens as on the real ones. [Sept 2015, p.74]