• Publisher: Sega
7.3

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Jun 20, 2020
    Sakura Wars (PS4), is a solid 20 - 25 hour long character driven action-JRPG, hack 'n slash, visual novel, dating-sim hybrid. Though, in all honesty; that genera naming convention doesn't really suit it. The best way to describe Sakura Wars is that it's: "An interactive anime".

The gameplay consists of two kinds: - The visual novel styled portions, which make up the majority of the

The gameplay consists of two kinds:

- The visual novel styled portions, which make up the majority of the game. Where the player walks around and interacts with characters, objects, and event markers. Prompting dialogue sequences, where timed choices will appear; giving the player only a couple of seconds to make a decision, that'll have an effect on their relations with other characters in the world.

- The combat, which is similar to older action hack 'n slash games. Not as mindless as Musou, but not as hard as Ninja Gaiden or DMC. Sort of a nice in-between.

My suggestion for consumers: Look at some gameplay from a let's play online to see if it's something you'd be interested in, as the game is a bit of a niche title. But, if you do like what you see; make sure that you don't watch too much! You won't want to spoil yourself on the character interactions and storytelling, as the writing is by far the shining star of the game!
  2. May 16, 2020
    (Preface: this comes from someone who never heard of Sakura Wars before this one).

I like trying new games that intrigue my interests. Especially if they are of a long running series, which seems to be Sega's forte. So when I saw the promos for Sakura Wars for PS4, needless to say I was interested. I had never played a game in the series prior, so my experience and review all come from a newb's eyes.

Right off the bat, Sega was sneaky with the marketing trailers. I was expecting some sort of rpg or action/adventure game with some occasional story, a dating sim on the side, and a whole lot of mecha combat. Maybe some life simulations, because they touted life in steampunk Tokyo a LOT. What I got, instead, was a story-heavy, er, story with occasional dating sim and a very little bit of mecha combat. You play as Seijuro Kamiyama, a captain of a naval vessel recently "demoted" to captain of the Imperial Combat Revue. You find out these hybrid mecha defenders and actresses are facing tough times. They don't have the tech to protect Tokyo appropriately, and their theater skills are, well, bad. At this point, I assumed I'd be tasked with juggling the day to day training of these girls. I assumed "OK, so I'm going to have to do missions regularly with these girls while instructing them on theater and helping them set up plays." But no - this is a story, not a game - and the story kept on.

So, after about two hours of exposition, I got into the tutorial battle and figured "okay, so we're in battle. It's gonna be tough with hordes of demon robots and creatures. I guess we'll be getting deployed almost everyday." No, no no. Here, I am now done with the snarkiness on the game. After the first several hours, it became apparent to me this was more so a feature visual novel. It will be STORY first, and then you get to choose how it flows and with whom. The mecha battles, the idea of exploration are all an after thought.

The story, thankfully its redeeming factor, is a cheesy and over-dramatic classic anime tale. For that, I loved it a good bit. I enjoyed the harem tropes, the MC tropes, the cheesy jokes and funny serious situations, the goofy twist and turns. It screams old anime. A lot of the game's story apparently "changes" based on responses you give when talking. However, in actuality all that changes is how much someone likes you and whether or not they'll talk to you in the epilogue. You don't necessarily change the story, but rather how you're perceived in the story. If you pick the not super obviously bad options, you will still in good liking with everyone, meaning winning over any of the girls is super easy.

The combat, the missions you will do in between chapters and sometimes randomly in between story scenes, is very barebones. There are two attack buttons, a dodge, a team mate switch, a super and a team super. The supers are overpowered, the normal attacks are very basic and some characters do butt-tons more damage than others, but the worse by far is how extremely broken the dodge is. You get iframes that last forever, you can spam it constantly, and you'll almost always get the slow-mo benefit. This game has virtually NO challenge at all in its battle systems. I beat the bosses before the in-battle dialogue even finishes. There's a system to let you replay missions and some other new ones, but it just seems way to boring to want to do.

The overall look of the game is good. The 3d models are a bit weird looking at times and are overanimated in certain scenes, but the mix of the 2.5d and 2d animation cutscenes are nice and refreshing. The second biggest win for this game is its soundtrack. It doesn't have a LOT of music, but it does have GOOD music, and I love all of it.

For my first Sakura Wars experience, I can't say I was all too impressed. I liked the characters, I enjoyed the cheesy story, the music was good and the game looks real nice. But they did nothing to make it feel like anything short of a visual novel with some side stuff to do. There's no life sim features, which games like this usually have; the combat is broken and toddler-level easy, and SEGA didn't do much to make you want to work on another playthrough besides "date this cute girl instead." An overall mediocre anime visual novel, is what Sakura Wars 2020 is. 6/10.
  3. May 31, 2020
    Graphics - 9/10
    Story - 9/10
    Characters - 10/10
    Music - 9/10
    Game play- 8/10
    Overall - 9/10

Its the closest thing to playing an anime.
  4. Jul 18, 2020
    It's about as anime as an anime game can get. Bleach character designs? check. Food War Orgasm moments? Check. Constantly evolving mechs? Check. But Reason why it sticks so well with me is, in a time when everything reeks of depression, anger (COUGH TLOU2 COUGH) this game is a big sigh of relief. How much thought went into the character development shows in the reactions and bondingIt's about as anime as an anime game can get. Bleach character designs? check. Food War Orgasm moments? Check. Constantly evolving mechs? Check. But Reason why it sticks so well with me is, in a time when everything reeks of depression, anger (COUGH TLOU2 COUGH) this game is a big sigh of relief. How much thought went into the character development shows in the reactions and bonding moments between the captain and the rest of the cast. Its my comfort food and I can always turn to this game to put a smile on my face. Expand
  5. Jun 30, 2020
    Badly designed combat of this game made it only half-good. Social part is ok, sometimes even good. but combat is as bad as 0/10. Its repetitive, unintuitive, and no fun (and you must get S rating with all girls on all missions).
  6. May 18, 2020
    Pros/

Great opening sequence Nice anime clips Great musical score New cast of characters with a new Sakura who's cute and endearing. Cons/ Action/RPG element is very weak and tacked on Action/RPG elements are few and sometimes take way to long for another mission Visual Novel questions can be frustrating playing blind with more wrong choices than right. Koi Koi is not
    Pros/

Great opening sequence
    Nice anime clips
    Great musical score
    New cast of characters with a new Sakura who's cute and endearing.

Cons/

Action/RPG element is very weak and tacked on
    Action/RPG elements are few and sometimes take way to long for another mission
    Koi Koi is not friendly for non-Japanese players who don't understand the game.
    Can be boring in places

I desperately wanted to like Sakura Wars, especially considering I loved the original DC game and the anime series too, but the the new PS4 game has numerous problems especially trying to balance the visual novel aspects with your typical AJRPG elements, the problem is the actual rpg is basically tacked on and never lives up to any expectations, yes - it has it's moments especially during large scale demon boss battles, but other than that, it's spread too far apart often countless hours apart and feels like a poor version of Dynasty Warriors with wave after wave of small fry mobs, and honestly isn't even really a RPG if I'm really being that honest.

The visual novel part is fine although playing blind will leave the player with a sour experience as unfortunately, quite often the multiple choice answers have multiple wrong answers harming your chances to get true endings, and eventually you'll usually resort to either using a guide or save scumming for each question. Because the action sequences are so far apart, people who don't typically go for VN games will get bored and potentially, in fact more than likely wili drop the game fast.

Graphics is passable, animation sequences are very good but often just short clips. The opening sequence, music and sound are also very good, the opening song is fantastic and Sakura Wars fans will be happy with it. As always, comes with the bonus Koi Koi game which is fine but for foreign players...they are not going to understand it and it will a full guide in order to play effectively, and occasionally you'll get koi koi challenges in-game which unfortunately, if you don't know how to play....and most will not, then it's almost 100% will end in a loss.
  7. May 20, 2020
    I'm a bit sad that the game switched from a tactics game to an action one. The game is still a lot of fun. Definitely dont think it deserves and less than a 6 or 7 at minimum. Dont think people realize what a "3" or "2" actually is.
  8. Jun 20, 2020
    As a fan of the franchise, i have to admit this one is my favorite. Great story, good characters, a lot of feelings. Strangely losing the tactical rpg part wasn't an issue at all for me. I really hope there'll be a sequel about alter tokyo.
  9. May 16, 2020
    Loved this game, it was cliche at times but it doesn’t detract anything for me. I believe this games deserves no less than an 80 as an overall score . 73 is lower than I expected it to be but I’m sure it was triggered people who don’t like dating sims. The girls were awesome and beautiful. This game was visually pleasing with its colorful pop in every scene. So glad sega is dipping it’sLoved this game, it was cliche at times but it doesn’t detract anything for me. I believe this games deserves no less than an 80 as an overall score . 73 is lower than I expected it to be but I’m sure it was triggered people who don’t like dating sims. The girls were awesome and beautiful. This game was visually pleasing with its colorful pop in every scene. So glad sega is dipping it’s toes in these types of games and I hope they continue to do so because I would hands down pay another 60 for a sequel. Let’s make it happen people Expand
  10. Jun 20, 2020
    If you're a fan of the older games you'll hate this, but if you never played them then maybe you'll like this? Personally, I played the older games and I really don't like this game too much. There is a horrible balance of too much text adventure and not enough gameplay. The older games had a nice balance of having enough visual novel and battle. It actually felt like it was an episode ofIf you're a fan of the older games you'll hate this, but if you never played them then maybe you'll like this? Personally, I played the older games and I really don't like this game too much. There is a horrible balance of too much text adventure and not enough gameplay. The older games had a nice balance of having enough visual novel and battle. It actually felt like it was an episode of an anime because each chapter had a problem, reaction, and solution.

This game is mostly 90 percent text adventure, and the plot is all over the place. You could go hours without having the next gameplay section. What happened? Maybe I wouldn't mind so much if the characters were actually interesting and written well. Honestly I only liked chapter 4 (Azami's chapter). That felt the most Sakura Wars-like to me.

The long time fans never asked for this reboot. All I want is Sakura Taisen 1 to 5 released on PSN with trophies. Just do that Sega. That's all I want. You didn't have to revive the franchise with some stupid plot elements.
  11. May 10, 2020
    I wanted to like this game but I just can’t get behind it. While the actual gameplay mode isn’t broken or anything, it gets very repetitive and isn’t super deep. I would have liked a little more meat.

While the characters are fun and they try really try hard to make sure there is a variety, done of the interactions were really basic or uncomfortable and it made it hard to really get invested in the cast. The main character in particular is weirdly hard to like even though he’s mostly a self insert and I think that might be why I couldn’t get behind things.

But overall it isn’t a bad game, but it is a game you need to turn your brain off to enjoy .
  12. Jun 20, 2020
    My review is all over the place but basically if cliches dot not annoy you and the combat is not what you are looking forward to buy the game

Good reboot/sequel of the series that can draw in new player like me but if you do not know the franchise don't expect something like personna which emphasizes a lot on a lot more on the combat sakura wars is more like 90% visual novel and 10%

Good reboot/sequel of the series that can draw in new player like me
    but if you do not know the franchise don't expect something like personna which emphasizes a lot on a lot more on the combat sakura wars is more like 90% visual novel and 10% combat
    the combat is not that good and has pretty much never been amazing in the series
    this time it's pretty much hack and slash and it's ridiculously easy
    the other 90% of the game is however really good it's a bit cliche but it's mostly on the earlier parts of the games it did not bother me after the first chapters
    the meat of the games is not the story but the interaction that you have with the characters and that's where the games shine the choices are well thought and diverse never i felt that a choice was missing and it's satisfying when you pick the good one
    the main characters have been designed by kubo and they very charming and fit well what they are supposed to be
    the game felt a little short one more chapter would have been perfect but this a game made to be replayed and that's why i think that they need to implement multiple paths in the story
    the combat is very bland and needs a lot of improvement for stater it's too easy
    there is no gard button adding that would help with a flash gard system
    they are no skill's only a "super attack" that does way too much damage
    the level design is good and the graphics are good too
    Sakura best girl
  13. Jun 23, 2020
    Me gusto mucho lo que es el sistema de relaciones entre personajes y en especial los diseños me encantaron
  14. Jun 25, 2020
    The old Sakura Wars games are all incredible so it was hard for this one to try to deliver. Fortunately it was able to do so, the new cast for this game was able to grow on me overtime the more I played the game.
    Music is amazing, presentation too, combat was pretty simple and easy. For those who are looking for an easy anime dating sim action game, look no further than Sakura Wars.
  15. Apr 30, 2020
    This game is a masterpiece. It is a glorious return to the former glory days of a franchise that took Japan by the storm.
    There have been very very few games where after beating them, I want to see that very same cast continue doing what they were doing, and Sakura Wars is exactly that.
    The passing of the torch from Sakura Shinguji to Sakura Amamiya was presented well and I do hope that this game is just the start of a new series and that these games will keep coming to the west too. I am more than happy with what I have played- every character, every scenario, every song and location- everything was crafted to be the finest theatrical game ever made. I hope that the Imperial Theatre Flower Division’s adventures will continue. Now I have an anime to watch.
  16. Apr 29, 2020
    Damn the game is good. Didnt play any of the older ones but now I kinda want to. Shame theyre not in english. But this game is beyond a treat to play. Highly recommended
  17. May 3, 2020
    Wonderful game, I really wish it sells well in the west. Great characters, fun battle system, surprisingly varied animations of characters in dialogue. And also very importantly UNCENSORED, nothing was cut out to satisfy easily offended people who would never play the game anyway, and as far as I know translation is very loyal to original Japanese! I really hope this game will mark the endWonderful game, I really wish it sells well in the west. Great characters, fun battle system, surprisingly varied animations of characters in dialogue. And also very importantly UNCENSORED, nothing was cut out to satisfy easily offended people who would never play the game anyway, and as far as I know translation is very loyal to original Japanese! I really hope this game will mark the end of era of Playstation being most woke-censorship heavy platform! Expand
  18. Apr 30, 2020
    My first Sakura Wars game,the character and animation/music in this game is top notch,the characters are likable and it does feel like you are actively participating in an anime. It’s like a AAA visual novels with actually moving character,the game combat is a hit or miss depend if you like dynasty warriors musou or not.It's still a really fun and relaxing game and Sega trying to revive aMy first Sakura Wars game,the character and animation/music in this game is top notch,the characters are likable and it does feel like you are actively participating in an anime. It’s like a AAA visual novels with actually moving character,the game combat is a hit or miss depend if you like dynasty warriors musou or not.It's still a really fun and relaxing game and Sega trying to revive a classic is always good in my book. Expand
  19. May 3, 2020
    This game makes me addicted to it. The Dating Sim combines with Musou-like combats makes a good experience for players. We have many things to do in this game, from flirting girls, fighting demons, advertising to detective and play cards game. The story is a bit traditional kind, but entertaining. The developers apply many fresh ideas in order to make the players enjoying.
  20. Apr 28, 2020
    Very good story, lovelable characters and their design, gorgeous graphic and animation (game properly looks like anime), nice anime cutscenes, a lot references to Sakura Taisen 1996 from SEGA Saturn (i cried when i heard night theme from Sakura Taisen 1, the begining of the game is very similar to Sakura Taisen, even main character is one big reference to Ichiro Ogami). OST is absoluteVery good story, lovelable characters and their design, gorgeous graphic and animation (game properly looks like anime), nice anime cutscenes, a lot references to Sakura Taisen 1996 from SEGA Saturn (i cried when i heard night theme from Sakura Taisen 1, the begining of the game is very similar to Sakura Taisen, even main character is one big reference to Ichiro Ogami). OST is absolute number one, even beats Persona 5 Royal in my opinion - if the game OST not win BEST MUSIC in 2020 i will be really mad. Only think is not good in Sakura Wars is simple ,,button mashing Warriors style'' battle system, and game is so easy. If that game had battle system from Valkyria Chronicles ... - dream. 10/10 for Sakura Taisen fan base, who doesnt really care about battle system, if u care - 8/10. I also recommend this game for Visual Novel fans.

PS: Sumire looks fabulous in kimono, and that Anastasia boobs ... mmm ...
  21. Apr 28, 2020
    The Game is really fun. No its not perfect, but they were really creative here, tried to create something unique and special. Theres a lot of Potential for Future Games like this. Its worth checking out.
  22. Apr 29, 2020
    A fantastic return to form after the disappointing Sakura Wars 5: So Long, My Love. My only issues is that there is no leveling up and learning new moves in combat, regardless the combat is still fun. But the experience as a whole from the music, setting, characters and story is top notch
  23. Apr 28, 2020
    Games is pretty fun so nostalgia ,It's a must have if u really love Sakura taisen glad to see this back hope there's sequel after this The Ost in this is awesome
  24. May 5, 2020
    While the battle aspects are pretty run-of-the-mill for it’s genre, the music and animation are good. That said, the characters are very anime and not in the good way, as in very oddly designed, overemotional, and relying on cheesy anime tropes will be off putting to some people.
  25. May 6, 2020
    Better than Sakura 5: So Long My Love. I hope the game sells well in West, and we get sequel with improved combat.
  26. May 10, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if you play it without expecting too much, or all the trophies and just enjoy the adventure, you'll like it. But that's it, the game falls down is the "battle" bits, and there's a lot of battle bits. OH and for trophy hunters the mandatory hanafuda mini game. I hate hanafuda. You will too after a few tries at this. It's not that it's difficult, it's just so much time each game for so little rewards. And you have to beat EVERY character. Also there's a practice and main mode which are all the characters.

I mean even if they had snap, no one wants to play that 40 times.

As for the battle mode, well after you unlock the "battle bot" mode you get to play all those little arena battles constantly again and again with all the other characters, doesn't that sound like 46 stages of FUN. Worse some boss battles are created so you need anti air to beat them so if you plan on getting that S rank with sakura, it's going to take a while and you're going to scream at the terrible camera and controls. because that's what they are.

You have team attacks though which makes it easier, what's weird is how these are unlocked, you can go through the entire game making sure you're affection for say Claris is the top and you get her secret ending but still don't unlock her team attack. Yeah the game design IS that bad. You love me, and you can do anything and we've been to rank 10 (morale) but no team attack. Isn't she the greatest.

honestly, if they had just did a turn based like the previous adventure it may have worked out better, but dreadful camera, the poor excuse for jump mechanics and the lock on which is about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican, you're not going to have fun in the battle parts. It's a drag. Like slave labour, so yeah the battle bots where you can play all those dreadful repetitive missions again and again with different characters. It probably looked good on paper.

As for a singing and dancing troupe who put on plays you'll be surprised to know there's none of that in the game. They do a song number at the end. And that's it. And it's brief. as for the secret endings 3 kisses, a holding hands moment and looking at stars. As for the other ending after you unlock all the 5, yeah it's just a picture of all 5 smiling.

Collecting the bromides, the comedy and the scenes are what make this game. Everything else is terrible. We waited all this time after they cancelled 3 projects in 2008. Over a decade, and we get this.

It could have been so much better. I really hope they get enough money back for a next one, but just buy cold steel 1/2/3, you'll have much more fun, a better story and more rewarding romance.

if you are a masochist though, you'll love this to the fullest.
  27. May 10, 2020
    Buena historia y buenos personajes.
    El combate se hace un poco repetitivo pero en general no se hace pesado y se disfruta igual.
  28. May 28, 2020
    Graphics are very nice, the story is wonderful. The fighting mechanics are a bit flawed but the rest is wonderful and warm.
  29. May 8, 2020
    This is a disappointing reimagining of a series that no one asked for. While the dating/social elements are back, they are far more superficial with less choices and options, so they no longer feel like you are taking part in an actual conversation. The open roaming areas are a nice touch compared to the menus, but the actual combat aspects of the game are spread out way too far apart. InThis is a disappointing reimagining of a series that no one asked for. While the dating/social elements are back, they are far more superficial with less choices and options, so they no longer feel like you are taking part in an actual conversation. The open roaming areas are a nice touch compared to the menus, but the actual combat aspects of the game are spread out way too far apart. In lack of allies in combat essentially turns the game into a beat em up much like Dynasty Warriors, but with only one ally with you on the map. The mecha aspects of the game also feel very forced. If you are looking for a good beat em up game, I suggest you drop this and just get Warriors Orochi instead. Expand
  30. Apr 29, 2020
    This game really just wants to be a harem anime instead of a game. While the action parts of the game are fun, even if they are simple and repetitive, the character interactions range from weird to creepy with the grown man protagonist having to reassure (and often flirt with) a bunch of self conscious teenage girls and melodrama bogs the story down.
  31. May 6, 2020
    the game has graphics unacceptable for a ps4 game. at this price point i think the developer should be ashamed of not striving to provide a game at ps4 visual level. shocking!
  32. Mar 13, 2021
    Wanted to love it, cute girls and mechs should be awsomr. But it long winded, pretentios and frankly boring.
  33. Jul 2, 2021
    Fun game with very nice graphics and music. I Enjoyed the story and the way you can interact with the variousccharacters. I had the feeling i was watching an interactive anime, rather then playing a game. Combat couldchave been much better imo.
  34. Jan 14, 2021
    Fun to play.
    Not bad replayability.
    Recommend to play!
    It's sad that it's is no longer a tactical game.
  35. May 27, 2020
    Es un juego carismático, ya está, quieres algo diferente, estas cansadete de puro disparos todo el tiempo, pues te dejas llevar por una historia carimarica como esta. Sakura Wars
  36. Apr 28, 2020
    An outstanding sequel/soft reboot that adds to the European and American library of games, a series like no other genre.
    A blend of Visual Novel & Hack and Slash game, wrapped in a fictional Taisho steampunk era of 1940 Tokyo Japan.
    The plot is engaging,the characters full of vivid personalities and the script is well written. Graphically marvellous with both animated scenes and
    Graphically marvellous with both animated scenes and outstanding cell shaded graphics.
    I was really emerged in this game's world,without even being a fan or played any previous game of the series.
    I really hope it goes well sales wise so a sequel will rise soon.
  37. Nov 3, 2020
    You know those 'down-time' moments you have in your JRPGs where your party members split up and you can talk to them for bonding scenes? Well that's basically what all of Sakura Wars is... with a small amount of hack and slash combat on the side.

You spend the large majority of the game engaging in light hearted Anime-esque skits and conversations with the almost exclusively female cast. You'll be peeping on them in the bath, looking up their skirts and getting up close and personal with all of them as the Captain of their Combat Revue. This is what the core gameplay is made up of so if you're looking to tap into your inner perv, you're golden! However if you're looking for a deep JRPG with a focus on combat or exploration, you'll want to keep moving.

It is unclear whether it was intentional for the gameplay balance to be so far on the dating sim side and so lacking on the action role playing side, but this is what we have. To break up your ogling and peeping, there are short hack & slash combat sections. There isn't much to say about the combat other than it is extremely simplistic and easy with no character customisation, EXP or skills to gain or advanced mechanics to learn.

It's clear the main chunk of development was put into the visuals and music because the game looks and sounds incredible. The level of polish on the character models & environments is extremely high, the textures on clothes and surfaces are gorgeous. From the shiny marble floors of the theatre cafe to the intricate stitching on Sakura's kimono, everything in the game is a treat to look at. The soundtrack is equally as delectable, with distinct themes for each character and unique, catchy music for each area of the game.

The pacing of the story is very slow for the first two thirds and then bulldozes through to the end, it almost feels like the game was cut down to be a lot shorter than it was intended to be. Certain plot twists happen and then are not relevant at all and a lot of foreshadowing never amounts to anything. It's a shame because it feels like this was intended to be a much denser game than what the end product has ended up being.

SEGA unfortunately dropped the ball with Sakura Wars. What we have is an extremely good looking, great sounding interactive Anime show. If you're looking for a next-gen dating simulator then you will be very happy but for anyone rightly expecting a JRPG with complex combat or expansive exploration, you will be disappointed.
  38. Sep 2, 2020
    Good Story, good graphics, good gameplay but the difficulty level of combat need more challenging.
  39. Oct 25, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Total: 66/100 - For the first game since the PS2 title “So Long My Love”, Sakura Wars is an overall entertaining anime troupe game that will keep your attention throughout. The revamped gameplay from grid based tactics to all action is a welcome change and being able to walk around and talk to people is much better than the visual novel approach. Visual novels aren’t games, and this did a good job breaking away from the that label and becoming more of an actual game. Don’t play Koi-Koi. You’re only frustrating yourself doing so.

Full Score Breakdown

Story: 7/10 - Branded as a “soft reboot", but is actually just a flat out sequel. Story is pretty anime, but the majority of character are good.

Graphics: 8/10 - A surprisingly good looking game from Sega. If only they could make Sonic games look this good.

Sound: 6/10 - Despite no english voice acting, the music is pretty good and is sung by the voice cast. You don’t get that a lot anymore.

Gameplay: 6/10 - Part Warriors-esque combat with platforming, part terrible unfair card game, and mostly choice based dating sim. Use Hatsuho and Anastasia in combat as often as possible.

Fun Factor: 7/10 - Talking to the girls is fun. Combat is also fun, but gets way too grindy for minimal reward. Can’t romance Hiromi. Boo.

Stability: 8/10 - Occasional frame dropping. Things can get weird for a split second when you fall off a ledge.

Game Vs Service: 8/10 - Completely offline, but has paid outfit DLC that adds nothing to the experience. Don’t bother with the “deluxe" edition.

Start To Finish: 4/10 - Roughly 20ish Hours altogether for one playthrough. Less when skipping everything.

Longevity: 7/10 - Trophy hunting is a massive inconvenient grind and the romancable girls all have their own post credit cutscene. Make a seperate save file before choosing your Assistant Captian.

Worth: 5/10 - A good game worth buying on a sale. Grab it around $30.
  40. Dec 4, 2020
    Sakura Wars is the funniest JRPG I've ever played. And that includes the Yakuza games!
    The game has our intrepid young hero leading a small all female theater company. A company that also acts as the first line of defense against demonic incursions into Tokyo. Yes, whenever demons threaten Tokyo, these young ladies drop everything, usually including their clothing, hop into their steam powered mechas and get down to it.
    What makes the game so funny are the comedy moments that happen when you explore the theater and lead your company in times of peace. You might barge into the young ladies in the company when they are in a state of undress, or find a discarded item of their undies, and so on. Leading to some very funny moments indeed.
    What makes it even funnier are the dialogue choices. Whenever you chat with one of your employees, which is often, you can choose from several dialogue choices; you can be courteous, you can be all professional and cool, or you can be outrageously sexist and rude. Latter of course gives the most laughs!
    And what is great, your dialogue choices and actions shape the story. Which gives the game great replay value! Every play can be different! And if you play your cards right, you can date all the eligible women in the company at the same time, on same playthru! And the 'romantic' moments in this game are super funny.
    Down side of the game is that the mecha battles are rather dull. The 'demonic' levels and battle arenas are uninteresting, and once you find out that 'mobile' attack tactic kills everything while keeping your mecha totally safe, you will breeze thru those battles in record time, never dying. Not much of a challenge.
    Still, its the everyday life of the theater, with its young ladies and the masses of humor, that are the best parts of this game, and they really make it must play for all.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 62 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 14, 2020
    Sakura Wars has its drawbacks, and it is not only a weak combat system with forced battles in the championship, but also some templating, the length of some elements and spoilers-announcements between episodes. But all this is offset by deeply developed characters, beautiful animation and good humor. It is one of the best games of the genre in the last few years and the best that could happen to the series.
  2. Sep 8, 2020
    Sakura Wars is the return/presentation of one of the most iconic series in the Japanese videogame industry. Dating simulator, visual novel, interactive anime and real-time combat system are the basics of this unique project. Sega is ready to captivate the world with its most daring game until the date. But, is the world ready?
  3. Jun 10, 2020
    Those who already enjoy the series or this style of action-RPG meets dating simulator will still have a fun experience and find a good game to play here. Despite the faults with pacing or mechanics I may have discovered along the way, it won’t be enough to scare away this existing audience. But in a more general sense, unfortunately, Sakura Wars fills a need for a part of its player audience that, no matter how I look at it, isn’t something that feels right. Especially when you consider the decades of hard work the women of Takarazuka have put in, only to be attributed to this. It makes me hope that somewhere, someday, there can be a Sakura Wars without so much of those other moments. Maybe it could still be a dating simulator, just a more consensual-feeling one.