7.9

1. Mar 24, 2019
    FromSoft tends to be the only studio that I'll actually pre-order from, and I did with Sekiro. Long-time fan of the ridiculous difficulty, Demon Souls (closely followed by Bloodborne) is my favourite game of all time, and I love dark souls too.

Sekiro is a bit of a different bag. It's a good game, the movement is fun, as are the ninja tools, and the stealth is well integrated into the general gameplay - and particularly with minibosses. However, I think this will be the first FromSoft game I don't try to platinum. Mainly because I don't think I'll play through it more than once.

The bosses are not so much difficult as long, everything has lots of health and the classic secret third phase is thrown into the mix too. Remember fighting those demons in DS3 expansion, when they morph into an even bigger demon when they die... well it's that. The frustration of Nameless King's second phase where it takes so long to get to it. None of this I'd mind on its own, except you don't get to build a character anymore.

You can earn experience and unlock skills, but these don't really change your fighting prowess the way maxing a quality build would, or getting a new weapon. Upgrades (at least in terms of damage) are contingent on defeating bosses, so again sometimes you smash against a brick-wall of difficulty, but can't go off and build your character to come back stronger. You just hit it again and again. Obvs, with no co-op this also rules out that as a way to overcome a particularly **** boss (looking at you Fume Knight from DS2).

The world is good, the story is much less subtle but I guess that's fine given there is an actual narrative, but with no new builds to try, and no desire to fight some of the bosses again, I think I'll be putting it down when I'm done and playing through one of the others again.

Fingers crossed for Blooborne 2!
  2. Mar 25, 2019
    I wanted to like Sekiro, I REALLY did. I love the Souls-Borne series of games, and I think that was my first mistake when jumping headfirst into Sekiro. First and foremost, Sekiro is not a souls game.

Sekiro shares many similarities with the Souls games, but Sekiro is a whole new beast. Gone are the days of leaving messages for other players. Gone are the days of other players for that matter, as Sekiro is only a solo experience. That aspect does not bother me so much as I prefer single player experiences anyways.

In the Souls-Borne series if I ran into a frustrating situation there was always an option of going back and doing some grinding to help level up in an effort to conquer the roadblock in my way. After finally getting past those roadblocks there was an immense feeling of accomplishment. I find the bosses in Sekiro are so frustrating that I leave feeling defeated and have no drive to continue. And with no leveling up of your character, and no gear to swap out and try, there is no motivation to continue bashing my head against the wall.

Sekiro is a beautiful game aesthetically speaking, but the frustration outweighs the beauty. It feels like FromSoft took the difficulty aspect of the Souls-Borne series and cranked it to 11 just for the sake of making it difficult. Sneaking around like a ninja and picking off the "trash" mobs feels like that is what the game was supposed to be. Realizing that the bosses needed to be challenging it feels like FromSoft overcompensated and crossed that line which separates difficult-fun and difficult-frustrating.

There is good to be found here, do not get me wrong. Sekiro is a beautiful game with tight controls. The frustration found in the game overshadow everything Sekiro does well. The one thing a game should always be is fun. For me, this is where Sekiro fails, it becomes so frustrating that it is no longer fun.

There are going to be plenty who do not agree with me. And that is ok. This is just my honest opinion, my honest review. I really, REALLY, wanted to like Sekiro. The only other game I am looking forward to as much as Sekiro is Cyberpunk 2077, and it saddens me to think how disappointed I am with Sekiro.

If you go into Sekiro expecting a souls-like experience, you will be sorely disappointed.
  3. Mar 22, 2019
    I was definitely sure it would be a great game. From Software never fails. I took a few hours to play and that's what I expected. I am in heaven ! Everything is amazing.
    Great atmosphere, graphics and story. You can fell the soul of previous games. I was really missing this world a lot. Finally got it.
    Thank you FromSoftware once again ! You're the best in the world
  4. Mar 22, 2019
    Im amazed how much different this game is compared to other Fromsoftware games but it still has that nice and satisfying essence of souls game in it. Just buy and enjoy this masterpiece.
  5. Mar 22, 2019
    Another masterpiece from From Software. Epic gameplay and new revolution from dark souls.

Ingore the casual players rating this masterpiece whit 0-6....
  6. Mar 22, 2019
    Game of the year!!
    A perfect accompaniment to the SoulsBorne series, with plenty of unique ideas of its own and some of the best combat of the generation.
  7. Mar 22, 2019
    This game is a masterpiece...graphics are ok but gameplay wise this is a great experience... The whole posture mechanic set the difficulty bar over the top. A must have.
  8. Mar 22, 2019
    Top notch From Software release! Easily entitled for Game of the Year 2019! Sekiro is Rich it's Exciting and it's New. You can feel the soulsborne in the backbone, but everything else is stripped away and made new. Especially new movement, environmental exploration and freedom is so much fun to do and in combat it really works and gives you choices! Combat is fluid, challenging and itTop notch From Software release! Easily entitled for Game of the Year 2019! Sekiro is Rich it's Exciting and it's New. You can feel the soulsborne in the backbone, but everything else is stripped away and made new. Especially new movement, environmental exploration and freedom is so much fun to do and in combat it really works and gives you choices! Combat is fluid, challenging and it forces you to learn all the tricks of trade and implement your new skills in various different ways. Difficulty of the game feels similar to all soulsborne games, it's hard and sometimes feels impossible, but after trying and learning your enemies you will overcome and it's rewarding as always! Anyone looking for good action game and especially if you love soulsborne games Sekiro is your choice! 10/10 Expand
  9. Mar 25, 2019
    Beware the overrating from Critics. Try before you buy is my advice. I'm a long time lover of the souls and bloodborne series. I beat them all (except demonsouls - but I will if they ever remaster it) so I'm not bad at them. Unfortunately it was like Fromsoft decided to stick it to us long time players and reverse everything you learned from dying over the years. This game takes fastBeware the overrating from Critics. Try before you buy is my advice. I'm a long time lover of the souls and bloodborne series. I beat them all (except demonsouls - but I will if they ever remaster it) so I'm not bad at them. Unfortunately it was like Fromsoft decided to stick it to us long time players and reverse everything you learned from dying over the years. This game takes fast reflexes and a lot of motivation to push through the many, many deaths before you unlearn and relearn what you need to survive. It is punishingly difficult with lightning reflexes and perfect timing required (no mistakes or your dead). The world and story are not really doing anything for me, which is what I always loved about the past games. They always had you guessing what the next level/world would be. This one is all Feudal Japan all the time and I do not care about Japanese history. I didn't in college and I still don't. So the verticality of the game that everyone is praising is overrated. The grappling hook mechanics work okay, but only in the spots the game lets you use it. The jump and grab ledge mechanic is so slow and terribly inconsistent (needs fixing badly). While hanging from a ledge my natural instinct is to hit the jump to jump up, but no you have to push grab button again (why?). If you are new to Fromsoft games, you actually might be better equipped than longtime players, but you will likely lose interest after the 50th death to the same early bosses. If you are determined you will persevere or have a lucky run (even the blind hog finds an acorn except with a lot of skill needed even to get lucky). This game is super frustrating without the fun and mystery of previous Fromsoft games to keep me going. Not sure why everyone is going on about this game. Gluttons for punishment apparently. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2019
    Where have I been? I was sad they had no plans for another Dark Souls, but this is pretty much another spiritual sequel that look pretty cool
    The way i see it. This game can go far and the way you play... ok
  11. Mar 22, 2019
    I really want to like this game, because i been buying the other from games for years now, i really really want it... but i cant. I will say that this game is not horrible, and if you like parries and quicktime events this is your game, but for the same reasons is not my game.
    I think that in trying to create a game that emulate a sword fight from didn't see the lack of variation, because in every death you deal you will be seing the same quicktime animation (over and over and over) and even if the graphics are great and it seems an interesting tale, if the main character is not appealling you lose a lot, in this last point i cant identify why the character is so dull to me, maybe is a mix of reasons but is my personal opinion.
    The last point is that sekiro has very beautiful graphics, good sound effects and music, the movement in the map is very creative, but the way the game deals with combat, character personalities and AI of enemies doesn´t convince me, i hope they change this game for better in the next patches, as they did with DS2.
  12. Mar 22, 2019
    It's a good game, but not as good as the proper Souls games. Just lacks the atmosphere and its combat is a bit too mashy as well.
  13. Mar 23, 2019
    First of all, no game is ever a 10 or a 0. For those of you giving either of those ratings, its for some other reason unrelated to the game. You are either a fanatic of From Soft who cannot objectively rate their game, or you are currently raging or just hate the game for not being exactly like souls.

So, Sekiro. If you took all the good parts out of Nioh ( The loot, outfits,

So, Sekiro. If you took all the good parts out of Nioh ( The loot, outfits, customization, build system and weapon variety ) and no, the combat in Nioh wasn't that great. It was just a bad clone of Dark Souls. Then, you took all the good parts out of Dark Souls ( Solid combat system, the lore, variety of weapons, variety of armor, and a good build system )

Afterwards, you take whats left of both. For Dark Souls its the level designs(shortcuts etc) , the estus flasks, fire keepers, bonfires, and the feel of the cut scenes and art work. For Nioh its the forced item usage and similar art style. You take those aspects and shove them into one game with a garbage combat system that is not quite Dark Souls and not quite Nioh. A system that requires you to respond rather than be offensive. Combat is basically boiled down to a Press X for sweep attack, press L1 for parry, Press O to side step...and use prosthetic arm.

You do not get to choose the style of combat or how you will fight. Follow their style, or die. Do not think for yourself and respond how they want you to, or die.

Play how they want you to, or you are going to have a bad experience. If you are OK with that, then you will probably enjoy the game. I am not. it is not what I came to expect from From Soft.

I am severely disappointed in this game. I had looked forward to it for a long time and I only do that for a very few developers. Literally 2.

Oh well. I truly hope people find enjoyment in this game. It just is not fun for me, unfortunately.
  14. Mar 22, 2019
    The real deal review. The atmosphere is nothing less than true From Software design, veterans of the souls series will see this right away. Here is where the typical From Software title differs from this one. This game is a mix of repetitive "quick time" attacks. Press LB to block, then press RB to attack. You will grow tired of seeing the same choreographed "death blows" over and overThe real deal review. The atmosphere is nothing less than true From Software design, veterans of the souls series will see this right away. Here is where the typical From Software title differs from this one. This game is a mix of repetitive "quick time" attacks. Press LB to block, then press RB to attack. You will grow tired of seeing the same choreographed "death blows" over and over and over. I feel no real attachment to the main protagonist he seems an empty vessel with no real personality. The Shinobi arm is very gimmicky as the shuriken attack does a less than a 1/10th damage and will be blocked 90 percent of the time. So it works like this, block and then continue to block some more.. then attack. Once you have blocked enough attacks they will stutter and you get a quick time kill move. That's it.. that's the whole premise. Keep your 60 bucks, this is nothing more than a "casual" cash grab. Those calling this game a "masterpiece" clearly don't know the difference between an intuitive rewarding control scheme and flashy auto attacks that make you feel like you are having fun. But in reality, you are only pressing two buttons. Expand
  15. Mar 23, 2019
    Honest review here, if you are a fan of 'finish and forget' streamlined action games with short life span ( less than 50 hours of gameplay) dont read.

1 ) Combat system is barebone, one attack button, one block button. That's it.. No depth which leads to very repetitive gameplay. No varied movesets, dumbed down and minimal skill tree for an action/rpg, can only have one skill at a time, very few combos, uninteresting bosses and enemies that feel copy pasted with different skins.

2) No weapons, no armours, no customization, no variety, ultra simple game mechanics for anyone to grasp within 5 minutes

3) No coop, no PVP, nothing that can sustain the game's interest beyond the first playthrough unless you are truly a die hard fan who wants to see the different endings in a game where the story is totally optional and there because it has to be there.

4) Bad optimization on many PCs

Conclusion : a good Ubisoft like "Finish and Forget" action game with good atmosphere and level design. But a terrible game from FromSoft point of view, a dev that that set a standard with previous Souls games in terms of gameplay quality and depth as well as game replayability and lifespan.
  16. Mar 22, 2019
    I 100% understand the team is wanting to branch out and try something new. I 100% understand this is in no way a spiritual successor to DS. However, if you want to make a totally new game that isn't tied to ypur other series.....DON'T LITERALLY MAKE ANOTHER DS GAME WITH MISSING KEY FEATURES!!!

This is litetally Nioh with all the RPG and loot elements ripped out. It feels EXACTLY like a Souls game while having none of the elements we expect. You can die in 3 hits...check, you have enemies that are "normal" and enemies that are "supernatural"...check, you have some massively disadvantageous cimbat system weighing against the player....check, you have the same graphics (albeit way prettier)...same weird camera angles for cutscenes...same weird voice acting, same movement system (not talking about the new jump and grappling mechanics), same "look, a long hallway, road, room, etc. with some generic adds to fight on my way to a miniboss/boss that will inevitably be massivly overpowered yet after dying 10+ times, i'll figure out his pattern and i'll be able to do it with a zweihander whist in my loincloth.....except that's impossible because you can't change his BLOODY BROWN BLAND COSTUME OR SWORD!"

I dont care if it isn't a Souls game......I'm super happy with the whole "no stamina" thing, actually, But give me armor/fashion elements and something other than that generic sword. Nion, at least, gave you stance changes. He's supposed to be a shinobi and, other than the totally fictional mech arm, at no point does he feel like a shinobi.

This "feels" like a Souls game but bland AF. If you want me to acknowledge your new game as not part of the Souls series and acknowledge you're doing something different.....dont give me a game that's half TenchuSouls, half Nioh and strip all the RPG and character customization from the game and say "totally new game...nothing like DS"

I had no idea this wasn't another SoulsLike game until I found out it had no RPG/customization. It feels, in every way, EXACTLY liie a Souls game.....yet Reddit is booming with all these toolbags saying "it's not a Souls game, stop comparing it". HOW IS IT NOT??!! Simply because they said the words "this isn't a Souls game"? You can't put cloths on a dog and say "it wears cloths...must be human"....no....it's just a dog in cloths. This is 100% a Souls game with 75% of what makes a Souls game addictive ripped out of it and then "slight of hand....look over here" somehow magically not a Souls game. Combats the EXACT same with slight new features (DS has block/shields, Bloodborne has gun parry, Sekiro has timed counter parry and jump, all three have the exact same dodge system), all three have the EXACT same difficulty "feel", same formula (adds to miniboss to boss), same estus flask, same generic items that do just about the same things, same praying at the alter/statue/etc. which restores estus and all the enemies, same home base you keep returning to to "level up"

It's a DS game they left out the RPG/custimization from, they changed less than 40% of the formula. If you say otherwise, you're wrong.....if you say it "feels different than a DS game" you're wrong (besides the glaring difference....no stamina and there's a grappling hook)

IT'S
  17. Mar 25, 2019
    Step back of souls-like genre. There are no epic and beautiful bosses, you can't change weapon and choose your characteristics, you can't avoid attacks as in DS. That is not fun game. It's boring and tiring. Worst game of From Software.
  18. Mar 22, 2019
    Game is still not skill based combat but really finding and learning the pattern to simply piece together the puzzle type of game. It is much like World of Tanks where 'studying' is vital than one's skills.

Game it self has no improvement. If you really liked souls series, you'll probably like this one since there aren't any alternatives. With souls series fans' unconditional continuous support, From will make no improvement.
  19. Apr 30, 2019
    Worse Dark Souls, not interesting to explore the location, in fact there is no loot and pumping. DMC at maximum speed
  20. Apr 16, 2019
    I am die hard souls veteren. I want to say I love Sekiro, I really do, it is fantastic brutal action game, but it has its own problems that drags the score down from perfection.
    Pro 1.Combat Mechanic is the best in the market right now. Posture system, Deflecting, Jumping, Unblockable attack and of cousre the Mikiri (Counter thrust by step on enemy's weapon) are what make the game
    Pro
    1.Combat Mechanic is the best in the market right now. Posture system, Deflecting, Jumping, Unblockable attack and of cousre the Mikiri (Counter thrust by step on enemy's weapon) are what make the game unique and full of excitement. It is much much better than any soul game I've ever played. I hope Fromsoft continue this system.

2. Scenary is very beautiful and colorful.

3.Story is fair, at least much easier to understand.
    Cons
    1. Skill moves and Prothestic tools are underwhelming. They are looked cool as first but once you play the gamethoroughly, you will come to the conclusion that those things are just small gimmicks. Especially the skill moves, all of them are hardly be said that they are better than your normal attack. (Except, the skill called icjimon double, that one may be only skill that can be very useful in some fights). On the top of that, you can equip only 1 skill move at time, you can't even quick swap skill move. What the heck is with that ? This is 2018, there are so many games that allows you equip 4 skills at the same time. It is 100% possible. Does Miyazaki think it will be imbalance to do that ? I don't really understand at all.

Prothestic tools, however, can be helpful but it has limited use. In the end, what you will do most is normal attack, which lead to the lack of diversity in this game, thus lead to less replayability than other soul titles.
    2. Stealth mechanic is too powerful. You can kill most of enemies along the way with stealh, or just sneak past them, which makes combat along the way become trivial. The game only hard when come to boss fight that you can't stealth kill. Even Minibosses, you can outright destory half of their hp with stealth . What is fun about that ?. This game shines most from combat mechanic, not stealth mechanic. However, because stealth has almost no risk (very easy to do) but get same reward (exp) like you fight head on, so why should I fight head on ?. Moreover, stealth mechanic in this game is very mediocre, you get behind enemy or jump from above, that is it. I hope stealth get nerfed hard. It is ok to sneak pass, but not outright kill high hg enemies or half minibosses hp, right now it is way too strong.
    3.No multiplayer ? admit it, this decrease replayability. Besides, without coop system, many people can't finished this game due to the sheer difficulty. I am fine but some of my friends will not be able to play it.
    That is all for Sekiro. Beating the game first time I spent 50 hrs (but I explored and farmmed a lot to test each skill, the actual time should be like 30 hrs ). I definitely buy Sekiro 2 or DLC but for now, I think the all skill moves need hard buffs. Prothestic tools needs to more love with the upgraded version. Please nerf the stealth kill. The game is great.
  21. Apr 15, 2019
    MINOR SPOILERS
    MINOR SPOILERS
    Though I found Sekiro's world slightly less immersive/interesting to explore than previous FromSoftware titles, notably Bloodborne and even Dark Souls III (it's close), it still had the developer's signature sense of atmosphere. The areas were a bit too similar in my opinion, minus two to three changes of pace (Senpou, Fountainhead, Hirata to a lesser extent), and there seemed to be less overall areas to explore. I found the "optional" areas to be somewhat lacking as well, as some of the optional bosses were just retreads of previous bosses with a twist and several of them took place on the same battlefield as a prior fight. Nonetheless, the boss fights in Sekiro are top notch. As far as overall consistency of quality, this is FromSoft's best effort to date. From the first main boss encounter on, each one (with maybe two exceptions) is a challenging and adrenaline-pumping clash of swords. Even the classic gimmick fight found in every SoulsBorne game is improved here in almost every level: the gorgeous visuals, enjoyment, arena, etc. Having a lone katana as the main weapon also allowed FromSoft to make their bosses as unique as possible, displayed in their fighting style as well as their design, without having to worry about what approach the player is taking (like the Souls series: spellcaster, dex, strength, etc.). The enemy variety was kind of bland, mostly humanoid, but narratively I understand that was kind of necessary. The mini bosses were also a nice break-up between exploring en route to the next big bad and offered vital rewards upon defeat, though there were far too many re-skins in this department and some of them were just a chore to to fight. Another highlight of FromSoft's last few games has been the excellent and riveting soundtracks. Having played Bloodborne and Dark Souls III nearing Sekiro's release, I found the soundtrack a bit underwhelming (which was my mistake of expectation). However, upon replays the music has really grown on me and definitely fits the world perfectly. Some tracks that stand out are CM, LB, ISS, O, and GA (boss initials). Final point of praise: the combat, once understood, is probably the most satisfying I've ever played in a videogame. Although it isn't quite the masterpiece I expected, it is definitely my early 2019 GOTY in an already crowded year and a game that was well worth the wait. Already itching to see what FromSoft comes up with next. 8.9/10.
  22. Apr 21, 2019
    Has a nice elegant series of attacks, dodges, and blocks, and then interjects grab attacks with no counter. A major failing the game's part.
  23. Apr 30, 2019
    For me its a 7 because two main reasons: the repetition of some stages and enemies and, and most important, the excess of exigency. I'm a Dark Souls veteran. I've played all 3, Dark Souls 1 blew my mind and I played it a lot. I completed Bloodborne because of my love towards FROM, didn't liked it because terror is not my genre, but appreciated it. Now I wanted to love Sekiro, I'm a big fanFor me its a 7 because two main reasons: the repetition of some stages and enemies and, and most important, the excess of exigency. I'm a Dark Souls veteran. I've played all 3, Dark Souls 1 blew my mind and I played it a lot. I completed Bloodborne because of my love towards FROM, didn't liked it because terror is not my genre, but appreciated it. Now I wanted to love Sekiro, I'm a big fan of japanese culture, and I really wanted to love it. But, after 3 runs, and having completed it once. I'm too tired. The parry system is too stressful, and I don't like to feel that vulnerable. Besides, the final boss is really unfair (in my opinion) because it is NECESSARY to complete the game. If it was an optional boss I wouldn't have a problem with its absurd exigency but since you need to beat him to complete the game, for me it was a wall, and I didn't enjoyed it, I endured it. When I finally beat it I felt relief, not joy. I think its time for FROM software to rethink the accessibility of their games. I think they don't need to make difficult games just because that's their brand. They have other qualities: great action, atmosphere, music and design. And there are a ton of masterpieces with difficulty selector. I hope they wanted their games to reach everybody. Expand
  24. Apr 14, 2019
    The games graphics and music are masterfully crafted, dare I say beautiful at times. Definitely a fresh breath of air from FromSoftware. Intriguing story, authentic swordplay, fun traversal, and unique progression system. I’ve been a fan since Demon’s Souls for the PS3 all the way to Bloodborne and all the Dark Souls in between.
    Which is why this truly hurts me that I had to sell the game
    Which is why this truly hurts me that I had to sell the game because I simply wasn’t having fun with it anymore due to the extreme difficulty. I got all the way up to the old monk and then I finally quit. My passion my enjoyment and and my will gave out. Instead of having an awesome time with this game I was instead looking up on YouTube finding ways to cheese these bosses and having no gratification with the end result, and when I thought the combat finally clicked here I was stuck with another impossible task. Every boss felt like a chore and not a “Mount Everest” to climb...
    If this game had a mode that made it a little simpler I would re-buy it in a heartbeat. (Theres no online, so who would it really hurt besides egos?) And this is coming from somebody who has the platinum trophy for Bloodborne and put 250 hours into that game alone. So I hope somebody from FromSoftware reads this post and takes into consideration the next time they release a game that they don’t have to make it as difficult as possible for the game to sell to the point where it alienates most players. I still recognize the beauty of the game but I cannot except the difficulty.
  25. Apr 8, 2019
    The game is awesome! New mechanic is finally really differs from what SoulsBourne had to offer. It is much more focused on skill and precision. Every hit, block, parry and counter has to be carefully executed. Mechanic is pure joy.

Enemies and bosses are hard, but fair. Every main character death is a result of player mistake but not an unfair AI actions. The variety and amount of bosses is tremendous, though some of them appear couple of times during playthrough.
    Game world is big and leveldesign on a big scale is magnificent! You can reach any point in the world that you can see and sometimes it is just fascinating to observe from a distant places you've visited half game ago.

The plot is kinda simple. In oppose to SoulsBourne games deep multy-layerd LORE, in Sekiro we have a staright forward story with very few unexpected twists and no underlying lines whatsoever. The world itself is just something I personnaly not interested in. Middle age Japan is not my thing, so I have nothing to say about it.
    Visually game is ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. There are couple of beautiful locations, but in oppose to dark and mysterious Bloodbourne atmosphere Sekiro can't offer anything spectial.

But in the first place the game is about mechanics and it works great.
    The thing they've left character stats and loadout out of the boat is totally ok with me. Game is much closer to slasher than to an action RPG now. Still there are quite some tricks and combat movements player can aquire during game and prosthetic arm improvements make Sekiro's arsenal even bigger.

There are a lot of dispute around Sekiro's difficulty lately. The game is hard. It took me 77 hours to beat it and I had a lot of trouble with some bosses. But it's not unbeatable and it is certainly becomes quite easy once you master it. The easiest way to check how it works is get back to bosses, that troubled you some time ago and beat them once more. It'll be super easy, because knowing mechanics and boss movement basically everything you need to be good at. So people who ask for an easy mode, are just lazy and refuse to learn game rules. And what's the point in playing a game if you don't want to follow the rules?
  26. Apr 29, 2019
    Нормальная игра.Но очень много багов,честное слово боевка не понравилась,те же прохожденцы на время быстро проходят игру багами и прыжка-крюком.Сделали бы как Dark Souls но по японски,а то главный перс не живой какой то а терменатор,летает крючком,прыгает и бегает очень быстро.Да игра у меня тянет,прошел с багами за 4 часа,маловато и скучно.Крч твердая 6Нормальная игра.Но очень много багов,честное слово боевка не понравилась,те же прохожденцы на время быстро проходят игру багами и прыжка-крюком.Сделали бы как Dark Souls но по японски,а то главный перс не живой какой то а терменатор,летает крючком,прыгает и бегает очень быстро.Да игра у меня тянет,прошел с багами за 4 часа,маловато и скучно.Крч твердая 6
  27. Mar 31, 2019
    Sekiro is a beautiful game, with "difficulty" at his centerpiece. In this it succeeded completely. Your typical gamesession is a brief exploring part (which is very well done) followed by either a mini- or a fully fledged boss encounter - that will take you easily 1-2 hours to learn.
    To get past those you have to learn all their moveset, and use the appropriate tool (fire, etc). And as every major boss has a different strategy, this turn into a long session of learning before you finally can kill the boss and proceed.
    Now this is the usual Dark Souls formula - but: no leveling up and no coop help. Which means the game is unforgiving forcing you to learn and execute everything perfectly (hence "difficulty"). And here is the problem, after the umpteen boss, faced with yet another 2-3 hours of learning and dying and repeating (and praying for luck), you don't feel the challenge anymore - you feel just tired of it. The "wow" moment after finally winning (which for me happened just once - and I'm at the last one) goes and is replaced by "i hope the next boss is not another slog".
    I can understand really hard-core gamers, the one loggin 12 hours a day in the first week, getting very good at this game - after all once you learn it it is much easier to play. But finding the motivation to invest 60 hours of time - of which 90% is spent learning/dying/repeating - is a bit hard.
    Specially considering that all your new skills are for nothing - there is no coop, no PvP, no fancy fashion souls. In the old games the prospect of helping other players or just bundling up to try and fight a boss together - the "jolly cooperation" - was a huge motivation. And very rewarding. This has been lost in Sekiro.
  28. Apr 8, 2019
    I went into this game expecting to be able to play through it without worries, since I played all 4 Soulsborne games. I was wrong ... very wrong.

The combat is punishing, requires you to constantly be aware of your health, posture and the health of enemies. It is like Dark Souls, but it isn't. The parkour and stealth aspects allow you to skip enemies if you please, or you can rush in and deflect your way through with fast-paced, intense combat.

Unlike Soulsborne, it also has a very vibrant colour palette to it. While there aren't many areas that stick out significantly, the various green and sometimes pink mixed into the gray, dark environments that FROM used to make really help motivate you to continue on, no matter how often you fail at a boss. And as usual, the end boss is really great.

However, I should point out that if you don't have a lot of patience, this game is NOT for you. Memorizing a moveset from a boss takes time and effort. And you will die a lot.

Sadly, one of the downsides is that this game lacks replay value. If you want to get all trophies, you will have to either play through the game 5+ times or grind. I felt like the NG+ and further became worse and worse throughout the series, with Dark Souls 3 only changing item locations. In Sekiro, it only affects items that can increase your health or healing items, the rest stay the same. This combined with the lack of different builds made me despise playing through NG+4 in order to get the last trophy needed.
  29. Apr 21, 2019
    Sekiro is a good game, certainly not a great game. A huge step back from dark souls and bloodborne. The lack of effort in this creation is very evident, disgraceful when you start replaying areas on the first
    playthrough.
  30. Apr 10, 2019
    Daisukereds review sums up exactly my feelings on this game. I really want to like it more but it's a poorly balanced game and I don't mean just in terms of difficulty. The shinobi tools can be good (and even gamebreaking) on some fights but on the harder ones, they're pretty useless and the ones focused on dealing damage/posture damage are ridiculously underpowered even to the extent thatDaisukereds review sums up exactly my feelings on this game. I really want to like it more but it's a poorly balanced game and I don't mean just in terms of difficulty. The shinobi tools can be good (and even gamebreaking) on some fights but on the harder ones, they're pretty useless and the ones focused on dealing damage/posture damage are ridiculously underpowered even to the extent that it's likely better to just press R1. There's no builds, no armor, no weapons and the upgrades you get is pretty worthless except for some that should've been baseline anyway (Mikiri Counter). The environments are okay but they don't come close to the diversity of the other "soulsborne" games (hesitating to include Sekiro in this genre). The story is overall easier to understand but it somehow just takes away from what I love about the other games. Exploration can sometimes be rewarding but 99% of the time you only find some **** consumable that can be bought from the merchant for cheap anyway. The upgrade materials for your tools don't generate the same feeling that finding a blood shard or titanite chunk does since the upgrade won't do much anyway. Unlike all the other soulsborne games, I just can't wait to be done with this one and I probably won't be replaying it ever again once I'm done with all the trophies. I've seen a lot of people saying this game is even more satisfying than the other games but I never felt satisfied after beating a boss, I just felt annoyed and wanted to stop playing. I genuinely hope that people giving this 10/10 are just high on the fumes of hype. For me, it's WAY to repetitive and it's missing a lot of what makes the soulsborne games so good. I'll hold out hope for Bloodborne 2 since this game has left me with very mixed feelings. I do admit that I'm somewhat biased as this is a game made by From Software, I was expecting more and as a result my final score may be somewhat low compared to if this was made by another developer. Expand
  31. Apr 21, 2019
    Weak, very weak in comparison to number of mechanics and game play styles in Dark Souls. Few sword attacks, few tools that can be used rarely and a LOT of useless skills that make you feel stupid because of your decision and amount of time you spent to get them. All the time I felt that my time is not respected, hours of game play to become stronger, but no... you are not so strong andWeak, very weak in comparison to number of mechanics and game play styles in Dark Souls. Few sword attacks, few tools that can be used rarely and a LOT of useless skills that make you feel stupid because of your decision and amount of time you spent to get them. All the time I felt that my time is not respected, hours of game play to become stronger, but no... you are not so strong and never will be.
    Weak, very weak art in comparison to BloodBorne. There was a few nice, but not breath-taking places, there were only several memorable but painful bosses.
    I didn't feel the presence of magic like in other Miyazaki games, nothing except concentration and feeling tired from the game already on the third hour. I've finished the game because I've waited for something that has never arrived.
    Bosses, oh these bosses. Too often, too alike, some are unreasonably strong - you rarely will be able to play the game, all the time you will just run for another attempt to defeat a boss. Some times even the same re-skinned boss, and here I mean many these "some times". It is obvious for me that the development time spent on game was not enough, so it was artificially enlarged.
    There are few things that I liked: Ashina Castle, Senpou temple, and few bosses, first fight and secret of win. But this game did not bring me the joy, this game did not become center of my relaxation time as it was before with Dark Souls.
  32. Apr 16, 2019
    Nice game, great art direction, great combat system and all, but it lacks a lot from a replay value side. After you platinum'd the game, get all prosthetics, all skills and beat every boss, there's no real sense to play it again as the game experience will be the same over and over again. I like the action approach to this game, with no stats or classes, and I really appreciate the idea ofNice game, great art direction, great combat system and all, but it lacks a lot from a replay value side. After you platinum'd the game, get all prosthetics, all skills and beat every boss, there's no real sense to play it again as the game experience will be the same over and over again. I like the action approach to this game, with no stats or classes, and I really appreciate the idea of skill trees, but I would have preferred a game where you make your own "build" to accomplish the adventure, in order to make the game a lot more interesting (and creative to the player) in future playthrough. It would have increased the replay value to some extent. Expand
  33. Apr 1, 2019
    A truly marvellous game. The lack of multiplayer and the greater emphasis on skill based gameplay over character stat development means that every victory is YOURS and not the result of an overlevelled character (well, unless you gain a certain object at least). No other game has had me yelling swears at my defeat and celebrations of joy when I finally won.

If I was to make a piece of

If I was to make a piece of constructive criticism I’d say that the penalty system (losing half of everything on a full death unless you win RNG) promotes grinding, I do worry slightly that Activision will start selling skill points given their record and the way this system encourages grinding exp in order to gain more skills and (ultimately) more attack power. The soulsborne system of regaining your experience if you were able to return to th el,ace you died was better as you could still progress your character despite death, whereas here I would be woefully lacking in skills if I hadn’t indulged in grinding certain areas.

So.... yeah. Buy this if you like a challenge. Might want to cut your teeth on soulsborne first though.
  34. Mar 28, 2019
    If you like samurai/ninja and Japanese lore as well as the Soulsborne games, then run and buy this. I have not been able to put Sekiro down. If you are new to FromSoftware's games then be prepared for extremely intense yet rewarding mechanics that you don't find in modern games. People saying there is no leveling up are not good enough to progress I assume. There is character leveling,If you like samurai/ninja and Japanese lore as well as the Soulsborne games, then run and buy this. I have not been able to put Sekiro down. If you are new to FromSoftware's games then be prepared for extremely intense yet rewarding mechanics that you don't find in modern games. People saying there is no leveling up are not good enough to progress I assume. There is character leveling, skill leveling and tool leveling. No, there is no difficulty setting (except a trick to make it harder) Yes, you lose XP and money when you die. Yes, you will die a lot. No risk, no reward. There are always systems in place in any Fromsoftware game and this is one of the most fast paced and intense game they have ever made. Highly recommended. Expand
  35. Mar 29, 2019
    While there are a far too many mini-bosses, the game-play and atmosphere is masterful. It's different enough from the Souls games, and a bit reminiscent of the Gaiden games. Players both old and new to From Software can enjoy this challenging, exciting, and at times frustrating title.
  36. Apr 3, 2019
    Sekiro is what you would come to expect from such a consistent developer, the world is a joy to explore, enemy design and animations are great and the difficulty is high (more than ever). Seriously, if you are interested in buying this game, know that some segments, specially bosses, can be soul-crushing at times. But then, overcoming this obstacles is just so satisfying and addicting,Sekiro is what you would come to expect from such a consistent developer, the world is a joy to explore, enemy design and animations are great and the difficulty is high (more than ever). Seriously, if you are interested in buying this game, know that some segments, specially bosses, can be soul-crushing at times. But then, overcoming this obstacles is just so satisfying and addicting, that you can only ask for more. The story is solid, with multiple endings as well, and gameplay feels very good to play. I'm not giving it a 10/10 only because replay value is not as high on this one as in previous FromSoft works. Don't get me wrong, you can easily sink dozens of hours in this game (your first playthrough you take around 30-60 hours, a hell of a lot more than the average game for sure!), maybe just not hundreds as it did in previous soulsborne games. FromSoftware set out to create an action game with RPG elements this time around, and they did a damn good job at that. Expand
  37. Apr 22, 2019
    I made an account just to review this game. Honestly one of the most satisfying games I have played because I could just feel myself improving. Yes, there are times when you will feel frustrated and would want to delete the game, but the send of immense victory you feel on overcoming a particular boss that has been giving you a hard time is unparalleled. Miyazaki has done it again!
  38. Mar 31, 2019
    Very few games nowadays dare to challenge players beyond their own apparent capacities. From the Posture System to the Combat Arts, FromSoftware developed a Souls-like game with a very unique identity. Mastering all its little intricacies is an absolute joy, and I can't remember any other game making me feel such a rush. Absolutely recommended..
  39. Mar 24, 2019
    As long time souls fan spanning from Demon souls to Blood born this game is truly a great successor of the souls franchise. I will say forget everything you know about combat in previous souls game in term of advanced combat. This game will completely punish you for even attempting to play it like any of the other souls game and teaches you a whole new way to look at combat allowing a newAs long time souls fan spanning from Demon souls to Blood born this game is truly a great successor of the souls franchise. I will say forget everything you know about combat in previous souls game in term of advanced combat. This game will completely punish you for even attempting to play it like any of the other souls game and teaches you a whole new way to look at combat allowing a new whole brand of skills to develop as you progress. Every time a new boss had appeared and i felt like i learned something new in combat without it telling me like how to space cretin bosses or learning how to make incredible high speed deflections. Every fight i felt like i was in so far i felt a real accomplishment and i love it. Expand
  40. Mar 25, 2019
    This game comes from a company that is notorious for making very difficult games and Sekiro is no different. In fact it is more difficult than their previous games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but don't let the difficulty push you away. Despite the title, I died a lot more than twice in my play through yet I almost never felt cheated. The game brilliantly balances fast, but methodicalThis game comes from a company that is notorious for making very difficult games and Sekiro is no different. In fact it is more difficult than their previous games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne, but don't let the difficulty push you away. Despite the title, I died a lot more than twice in my play through yet I almost never felt cheated. The game brilliantly balances fast, but methodical combat with stealth and rewards persistence. The only problem could performance on console with the frame rate staying at thirty frames consistently to take a sudden dive every so often. There are a few needlessly frustrating enemies and a couple minor issues that are far out-shown by the quality of everything else. I could go on for quite a while about its beautiful art style and great story, but the bottom line is that this game is well worth your time. That is, if you're up for it. Expand
  41. Mar 30, 2019
    Say goodbye to armor, primary weapons, varied and complex builds, emotes and any other roleplaying elements, coop, and pvp. This is not a soulsborne game and fans of the soulsborne franchises should not be misled into believing that the gameplay is similar. Virtually every system has been overhauled, for better or worse.
    In some ways this title is more friendly to new players than
    In some ways this title is more friendly to new players than previous ones because you'll never have to look at wall of stats that you'd have to dig around online to make sense of and you won't have the training scars from playing earlier titles. But in another way, it's much more hostile to new players because the difficulty scaling is unprecedented even for a From Software game.
    Grinding is mostly ineffectual as the only reward you get for grinding is Sen (the primary currency, which can be used to purchase consumables and in some cases prosthetic attachments) and Skill Points, which are used to purchase new acrobatic abilities for your character (only one of which can be slotted at a time). You cannot increase your HP pool or Posture by grinding and you cannot summon friendly NPCs to assist you in boss fights, meaning that when you get stuck on a boss your only option is to continue slamming your head against that wall until you win or quit the game.
    Many returning FromSoft fans that are hostile to new players, casuals, and the notion of accessibility in game design will see these changes as improvements, however I generally see them as a step backwards. I don't think it's good game design for the basic narrative elements to be inaccessible to many players (even some who are willing to spend countless hours trying to 'git gud').
    My single biggest complaint with the game is the reductive nature of the new combat system. Many players seem to feel that the combat system is more complex than ever, but I disagree and I will enumerate my reasons why: Poise has been all but removed from the game, weapon arts have been replaced by acrobatic skills, stamina management was replaced by posture, spirit emblems effectively replaced FP, the prosthetic replaced spell attunement, and the jump mechanic replaced the kick. The vast array of sorceries, miracles, and pyromancies (96 total in dark souls 3) have been replaced by 11 prosthetic attachments. In Dark Souls or Bloodborne there are a wide variety of different play styles and approaches that are equally viable for completing the PVE content. You can be a strong dude with heavy armor, a giant, slow weapon, and tons of poise that just knocks bosses on their asses and manages damage trades. You can use spellcasting as your primary strategy for virtually every boss in the game. You can use a dex character with high mobility and fast weapons that inflict status effects like bleed on enemies. They all do the job, and this fantastic variety makes for excellent replay value (even for the players that aren't interested in challenge runs).
    That's just not the case in Sekiro. You have one weapon, one basic play style, and bosses only have one or sometimes two different basic strategies that are viable to beat them. To make things worse, many of the acrobatic skills that can be acquired that are supposed to make the player feel like they're making progress and getting deeper gameplay are completely nullified by certain bosses. For example, unblockable thrust weapon attacks and some kicks can be countered with a skill called the mikiri counter and unblockable sweep attacks can be jumped over, followed by a swift kick to the face that deals a lot of posture damage. Certain bosses, like Genichiro Ashina (a required boss for story progression), for example, can completely nullify these abilities and punish the player for trying to take advantage of them. This removes depth from the combat and this tactic the developers use to increase the difficulty of the game is equally artificial as tactics like making a boss' attacks deal so much damage they're all one-shot kills or tripling the HP pool of the boss to make it harder.
    It certainly feels like the central principal of this game's design was to make it extremely difficult without regard for making the gameplay feel fair, varied, or balanced.
    These drawbacks are such an intrusive impediment to enjoying the game that they overshadow many pleasant qualities in the game. I like that they tried to challenge returning hardcore players by removing I-frames from dodges. I like the new grappling mechanic and how this frees up the artists who designed the maps to add an entirely new dimension to the areas you play in. The visuals and voice acting are superb, and there appears to be just as much effort put into developing the lore of this game universe as previous titles. There are tons of different boss fights to be had in this game with 15 bosses and 29 Mini-bosses, although some of them are effectively just re-skins. I love FromSoft and their games, but I think this one was simply a step in the wrong direction. 6/10
  42. Mar 24, 2019
    Lots of bad reviews here because From Software didn't make the game the person wanted (i.e another Soulsborne game) rather than because Sekiro is a bad game. Sekiro is a VERY good game. Whilst it has some of the feeling of Souls game, it clearly is a different beast.

The combat system feels fresh, but is very difficult to master. It feels satisfying however when you get into a fight where you are blocking and scoring hits on the counter. It feels realistic. The movement is fluid and jumping over trees and buildings using the grappling hook feels very satisfying.

Whilst Sekiro doesn't have all of the customisation Dark Souls had, there is still enough to get your teeth into. With skill trees for both your character and your prosthetic weapon, it's not just a shallow action game with very little substance.

The game is hard. I mean REALLY hard. But it's also a great deal of fun. I'm a massive Dark Souls fan, but I appreciate that this is a different direction, and it's a game that Miyazaki and his team have done a fantastic job with. Don't be put off by people who are upset that it's not another Souls game or that it's single-player only. There is enough in this game to keep any Souls fan busy.
  43. Mar 25, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is, at it's core, an updated publishing of Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. I hesitate to even compare it to Dark Souls, because it is so, so different. However, I will since I know that is on everyone's mind - including my own. I have played all of the Dark Souls games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. When taken in it's own light, Sekiro it is fairly close to perfect.Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is, at it's core, an updated publishing of Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. I hesitate to even compare it to Dark Souls, because it is so, so different. However, I will since I know that is on everyone's mind - including my own. I have played all of the Dark Souls games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. When taken in it's own light, Sekiro it is fairly close to perfect. It does have some blemishes, but the luster is almost blinding at this point. I think if players can stop trying to shoe horn it into the Dark Souls catalogue, they will learn to love it.

Tenchu is one of my all time favorite games, it arrived on the market in 1998 for the PS1. To look at the graphics today and marvel at how it was even playable back then, is a demonstration of just how far game engines have come. Many games owe their success to Tenchu, being a pioneer of stealth tactical games. The unique play style is as engaging now as it was 20 years ago.

The level design is incredible. This is one instance where sharing resources with Dark Souls is not a bad thing. I've only been playing for a few days, and I have not cleared very much of the game, but the environment so far is breath taking. It begs to be explored, and there are a plethora of corners to find and inspect. That cliff dropping into the bottomless chasm has a shelf to drop down to, provided you figure out the path to it. That rocky outcrop that seems unreachable actually is, and getting there is half the fun.

I read so many complaints in this board that Sekiro is a poor excuse for a Dark Souls / Nioh love child. Yes, it is. However, that is not what this game is about. A Ferrari makes a poor work truck, and Sekiro is the Ferrari. I've played all the Dark Souls and I love them. They are great games. That doesn't mean this is a bad game. If you think it is a bad game because it's not Dark Souls, you're missing the point.

I noticed right away that the controls are lightning fast and responsive, but not squirrely. Playing Dark Souls, I always feel like I'm moving with drag, even if I'm skinny rolling. There's just so much weight to the controls, albeit with very concise feedback; well, not Dark Souls 2, feedback was horrible in DS2. Sekiro is about maneuvering into an advantageous position with speed and then executing that advantage. A purpose that is succinctly delivered upon. I get excited when I see the opportunity to chain the grappling hook action to "Spider Man" my way around the area, and I achieve a great sense of accomplishment from stealth take downs.

Unlike Dark Souls, this game has a coherent story which unfolds as you play. This doesn't have an esoteric lore that will take a community of YouTube streamers 3 years to unravel by reading item descriptions and hyper analyzing the fleeting lines of speech from NPCs. Sekiro's story It's woven into the progress of the game, the story will compel you to reach just a little farther to get the next verse and learn more about the protagonist and his charge.

This game does share some common mechanics and story telling techniques with Dark Souls. I found it uncanny and unnecessary. There is a central hub where a female avatar will unveil story elements and upgrade your Sunny D, there's a crafts man who whiles away his time while you're not around by crafting items of his desire, there are fast travel points that act as leveling spots. These are all cosmetic, since the bedrock of Dark Souls is min - maxing your spec, playing fashion Souls and gitting gud.

Another place where this game suffers is the heavy reliance on "hit and run tactics". Unfortunately, the enemy placement seems at times to be inconsiderate of this. Or they expect an assassin to barrel head long into groups of enemies. It's just not practical to fight an enemy head on while two or more take shots at you.

Should you play this game? If you expect it to be Dark Souls and wont forgive it for not being so, then no. Save yourself the trouble. However, if any of what I've said sparks an interest in you, then yes, you should.
  44. Mar 29, 2019
    It's a great game. FromSoft managed to create something fresh while still keeping many elements that made their latest games so enjoyable. It's not perfect by any means, but people giving it low scores either don't understand how reviews work, or are just mad because they couldn't get past a boss fight. GIT GUD
  45. Apr 2, 2019
    Perfect balance, amazing fighting system, rich atmosphere make this game a pure brilliant
  46. Mar 30, 2019
    Only game from software has made thats better is bloodborne. Props to being a new IP and absolutely nailing the gameplay and story, despite trimming a lot of rpg stuff.
  47. Apr 18, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. fantastic atmosphere and world designs. as someone who's a huge Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne fan Ive had a truly hard time adjusting to the parry method rather than dodging method and have died many many many many many times, giving the rot to most of my available npcs, all before the first boss in the past when the estate was burning. Thats my fault though not the games but i cant help but to miss the gradual progression through leveling up. Expand
  48. Mar 24, 2019
    I am a souls veteran. All the way back to Demon souls. I love this game. It is awesome. The grappling hook adds a vertical element to the game that is unlike anything else. The game is fairly tough. I died a LOT at first. The mechanics of the combat are definitely its own. If you try to use the dark souls style to the game. It will punish you brutally. I would have given it a 10. ExceptI am a souls veteran. All the way back to Demon souls. I love this game. It is awesome. The grappling hook adds a vertical element to the game that is unlike anything else. The game is fairly tough. I died a LOT at first. The mechanics of the combat are definitely its own. If you try to use the dark souls style to the game. It will punish you brutally. I would have given it a 10. Except that there is no character customization. There is no online play. Of course these things could be added later. If you were a souls veteran who loved the sword builds. Congrats. This is truly the game for you. Expand
  49. Apr 8, 2019
    Honest opinion from a FromSoftware geek. I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne. At first glance this is very similar. After putting 50+ hours and finishing the game I feel this game has very limited replayability. I was actually relieved when I was finished because the last parts were mostly frustrating boss battles and reused areas. Don't get me wrong, I love FromSoftware bosses, but I alsoHonest opinion from a FromSoftware geek. I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne. At first glance this is very similar. After putting 50+ hours and finishing the game I feel this game has very limited replayability. I was actually relieved when I was finished because the last parts were mostly frustrating boss battles and reused areas. Don't get me wrong, I love FromSoftware bosses, but I also enjoy the exploration and lore, which is scant in comparison to other Soulsborne games. Also, the absence of co-op play is a letdown and the frequent use of recycled areas, mini-bosses and even main bosses made me a bit weary. I gave a 7 because, although it's a good game, I feel it's below FromSoftware standards and after a few days of play the joy ran out, something that didn't happened so quick with their other titles. Expand
  50. Mar 29, 2019
    In a genre now becoming crowded with rip offs of the dark souls formula, Sekiro delivers a unique and unforgettable experience that takes the tropes of it and adapts them into something very new. The combat system will take a long time to master but when you have it is the most fluid and enjoyable combat in the menagerie of From Software games. My only complaint may be the slight lack ofIn a genre now becoming crowded with rip offs of the dark souls formula, Sekiro delivers a unique and unforgettable experience that takes the tropes of it and adapts them into something very new. The combat system will take a long time to master but when you have it is the most fluid and enjoyable combat in the menagerie of From Software games. My only complaint may be the slight lack of visual customization for sekiro hinself, but it serves as a reminder, that this isnt a Souls title. Its possible better. Expand
  51. Mar 24, 2019
    The game is good, good graphics, good mechanics, AI of the NPC good, is challenging, is not repetitive, does not have to spend 2/3 of the game doing side quests, fun and well done fights scheme. Sekiro presents several ways to accomplish missions, and brings the touch of FromSoftware in its great difficulty and punishing the player for his mistakes. But the game is not perfect. The cameraThe game is good, good graphics, good mechanics, AI of the NPC good, is challenging, is not repetitive, does not have to spend 2/3 of the game doing side quests, fun and well done fights scheme. Sekiro presents several ways to accomplish missions, and brings the touch of FromSoftware in its great difficulty and punishing the player for his mistakes. But the game is not perfect. The camera disrupts the player in small places, rendering occurring in front of him, some bugs mainly with NPCs. But do not take away the brightness of the work. I hope they are corrected. Expand
  52. Apr 8, 2019
    Great at times, tedious at times. After 45 hours or so I would have to admit this game is a step back from previous games. The game itself is punishing to start but you do get better, gamers will typically get to a point where it starts to feel tedious though.

The combat is all about the timing and deflections and it is hard, very hard. That in itself is not a bad thing but the payoff is very poorly done. You really get nothing for your hard work, all those deaths and trying over and over....no armour, no new weapons. The skill tree just eventually gets full, there is no real build to try.

Most people will just look up cheese strats, so many online to choose from. The combat has some depth but there will be zero depth in replayability. I like the game, I do not love it like I have with other From Software games.
  53. Apr 1, 2019
    why the hell are there so many salty fans, who haven't beaten half of the game, reviewing this?? This game is a masterpiece. From softwares second best game all time, and possibly one of the top 5 games this gen. This deserves all the 9s and 10s.
  54. Mar 27, 2019
    Шедевральная смесь Тенчу и Душ, великолепный гемдизайн и боевка в частности! Оторваться от игры невозможно, в нее хочется возвращаться снова и снова, исследовать каждый уголок этого мира.
  55. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is a fantastic game, that both previous and newcomers to the game’s style will be able to hop in and enjoy. The game is marked for it’s intense combat, strategic thinking, and beautiful world design, while only suffering from some minor polishing issues as well as a questionable amount of replayability.
  56. Apr 11, 2019
    In this game, you will be fighting bosses for most of the time - I've reached the final boss by the way. So, what about the combat? Well, you are pretty much glued face to face with your opponent for 80% of the time. Sekiro is a fighting game (with some light stealth segments).
    There are two genres of games I don't like and never have: sport games and fighting games.
    Also, there is zero
    Also, there is zero weapon variety which makes the combat even more lackluster.
    What a pity.
    Oh well, I'm sure FROM will be back with a great action RPG after this little misstep.

On the positive side, the atmosphere is really nice and almost have the same qualities as the souls games and Bb.
  57. Apr 7, 2019
    Sekiro is a great game in a vacuum. Compared to the 5 previous Soulsborne games however, it falls short. My review is for people that loved those games, but haven't picked up Sekiro yet.

The biggest issue? Fromsoft took a cleaver to the amount of content they would usually include in the series. Co-op PvE, PvP, player messaging/bloodstains, character creation, character build customization - all gone.

Nominally it was done in order to create a 'more focused' 'action' game, rather then the 'action RPG' of other Fromsoft titles. The results are not worth the sacrificed elements. The new swordplay system is of course the biggest change, and it's not bad. Certainly faster, louder and more bombastic - but I would hesitate to call it better then the understated, slower, deliberate pace of Dark Souls. It is a nice change of pace in a game that plays quite similarly in other aspects to its fore-bearers.

The new grapple hook and jump mechanic are less of a success. Grapple is limited to very specific locations which are highlighted by a big green circle on the UI. It looks a bit messy, and the circle will frequently not appear when it should do, leaving you unable to grapple. The hook is supposed to open up the game world, but its mostly just smoke and mirrors - there is no more freedom then in previous games, fromsoft have just been a bit cleverer in disguising the boundaries.

The other big addition is the stealth mechanic. It isnt anything special. Imagine whats already in Dark Souls, add a UI meter telling you when an enemy will spot you and thats basically the gist of it. The enemy AI is essentially braindead, so do not expect any cool reactions to your characters sneaky antics like in MGS 5 for example.

So all those elements removed, replaced with a decent combat system and so-so grapple and stealth mechanics. The trade doesn't work, and a lot is cut for little given back.

Sadly these cuts extend to other parts of the game. It feels like the developers were working with a much smaller timeframe or budget then in the past. The size of the game world feels quite small, and you will revisit the Ashina Castle area of the map no less then 4 times over the course of the game. Another early portion of the world, Hirata Estate, gets retread in the late game as well. Much worse is the amount of content recycling when it comes to the enemies. Just about every 'miniboss' and a number of big bosses are reused. One of them no less then 5 times! A few others 3 times, and quite a lot twice. It feels like its all repeated in order to stretch out the play time, which leads into the difficulty.

Yes, Sekiro is a very hard game. Prepare to struggle through many of the minibosses, and really struggle with some of the big bosses (the last two boss encounters are extreme, even if one is optional). Whilst there is nothing wrong with hard games, there needs to be a balancing act between tough but fair and frustrating. For my own tastes, Sekiro really straddles that line, sometimes falling over it. I am a veteran of fromsofts work, I even remember the joy of buying Dark Souls on release day. For someone with less experience then me, the difficulty could be overwhelming. In my opinion the high difficulty level, like the content recycling, is another way fromsoft have tried to lengthen the game. The longer it takes to clear a boss the longer your playing, right? If Sekiro's difficulty level was down on the same level as Souls, it would feel pretty short. Really short if there wasn't so much recycling.

Despite not being up to the standard of previous games Sekiro is still very good - its just not quite up there with its predecessors. Here's hoping the numerous cuts made by the developers are in service of something greater - like programmers and modelers being taken off the project to work on Bloodborne 2.
  58. Mar 25, 2019
    Game is called shadows died twice, I have died at least 400 times by now. Extremely misleading title, but very good game.
  59. Apr 2, 2019
    Sekiro is a game I wanted to love. Being a huge Dark Souls fan, I was looking forward to From Software trying something new with their expertise. Instead, we get a game that has an identity crisis and so many design blunders that is is depressingly astounding.

The combat itself is visceral, fast and when it is all flowing together, it feels like a dream. It can be incredibly fun in those moments. However, there is a clear as day lack of variety in the game overall. Weapon variety is at an absolute minimum, with the only new things you acquire being prosthetic tools and new moves. This simply doesn't hold a candle to From's past games where variety was one of the strongest aspects.

The game has a focus on stealth that also can be fun when you are taking enemies down one by one in rapid succession without being noticed, but this too suffers from immense simplicity in its execution. The stealth system boils down to 'enemy has a cone over their head, hide for a bit, they forget you ever existed.' and it is hilarious how easily exploitable this is. The stealth can be fun, but it is nothing revolutionary in the slightest.

Then comes some of the game's biggest issues. The bosses for one. Almost none of them are memorable. The game is filled to the brim with sub-bosses, to the point of over-saturation. Many of these are so strong that it always verges on being cheap. The main reason is that many of them don't make sense. A samurai general in armor with a huge sword taking hits and dealing big damage? That makes sense. A ragtag woman wearing cloth and straw that uses a metal rod with a dinky blade attached to it doing the same thing? Makes zero sense. This boss in particular can kill you in two hits and yet she absorbs sword blows like they are nothing. Unlike the Souls games, it holds no consistency in its design.

Continuing further with the bosses, the amount of 100% recycled bosses here is laughable and honestly quite pathetic. Unlike Dark Souls 1 where they reused something like the Asylum demon but perhaps changed the moveset a bit or his appearance, in Sekiro, several bosses are literally copied and pasted 100%, sometimes more than once. Absolutely nothing is different about them except for the name. Eventually I started laughing whenever I would see a clone of a boss I already killed. Like it was a twin sibling or something. It is lazy and deserves no praise, especially when the bosses themselves are already not memorable in the first place.

The pacing can also be a total nightmare. Unlike in Dark Souls where each new boss encounter usually felt grand and important because of the pacing, Sekiro instead goes for a pace that doesn't know what to do. Sometimes you will go at least 30 minutes without a boss, giving you ample time to explore your surroundings and take in the atmosphere, other times you will have *3* sub bosses in the span of 5 minutes, and considering some of these can absolutely wreck your world even after the slightest mistake, it becomes draining and tiring. Combine this with locations that are not memorable, it eventually makes each new area not worth any excitement.

Another massive issue I have is the story. Maybe I am missing something entirely, in fact I HOPE I am missing something, because the story as I see it is barebones and shallow. Whereas in Dark Souls the story is fed to you in increments and through item descriptions. here it is like that, but somehow even less informative. Characters often don't have anything interesting to say and the main character himself hardly says anything worthwhile, often just repeating what an NPC just said only in question form (basically Solid Snake the entire time) or he grunts in response to things. He is hardly fleshed out even after many hours into the game. The basic premise of the game isn't special. It is about as generic as you can get for Japanese storytelling. A generic kid who happens to be a 'divine heir' has a special power in his blood and bad guys want that power to do bad guy things. That is your ENTIRE motivation. It is boring and holds absolutely no weight compared to Dark Souls.

As you can tell, I have a lot of issues with this game, but I don't hate it. There are times where I am having a ton of fun, but that fun is often interrupted by bad design, terrible pacing and a snooze-worthy story. The game also lacks most customization from past FromSoft games, so the replayability is also very low. I wanted to love this game, but instead I find it to be painfully average in most regards. It in no way deserves the current 90 critic score it has. It lacks focus and finesse. It is often too punishing for too little reward and it doesn't have anything to truly hook you like a Dark Souls title. I have compared this game to Dark Souls a lot for good reason, because I know from those games that From Software is capable of so much more. For now, I can only hope they take lessons from this game and do better.
  60. Mar 27, 2019
    if you dont have the brain capability to locate your guard button, this game might be very difficult for you.
  61. Mar 25, 2019
    Masterpiece! (From Software) did it again!!! this maybe the closest we will ever get to Tenchu For a While.
  62. Mar 24, 2019
    Total masterpiece. I see people complaining about lack of customization and RPG touch but I didn't miss them. This game doesn't need it and it works very nice. New combat mechanics are fresh and addictive, took me many deaths to get a hang of it but then I enjoyed it very much. Great way to reward more aggressive gamplay style. Visually beautiful.
  63. Mar 24, 2019
    Great game if you go in understanding there is some serious repetition.

Dying, yes; but chances are you'll be running back (and forth) to the "save statue" to rest, rather than dying, because you can rez once before you suffer and penalties. Of course everything respawns so you gotta fight ur way back. The jump+grab ledge function is flighty. I get that they want precision, but it
    Great game if you go in understanding there is some serious repetition.

The jump+grab ledge function is flighty. I get that they want precision, but it really translates in to just not feeling great or natural. Of course after you (irl) start to fatigue after hours of repetition these jumps to ledges start getting even more difficult and add to a mounting frustration level.

Lastly, there are the annotations when you are being attacked. See, the game is dependent on these "worded" ques from semi-bosses. They tell you- when your enemy is about to thrust his weapon at you, or is about to perform a sweeping attack; in which there are very specific ways to counter each move. You get this information in two ways. One, the actual motion of your enemy, who will telegraph his strike type for maybe a second in real time. Which is pretty quick for most of us, considering the "mental stress of battle." The second indicator, is a word, which would be great, except it's in Japanese, and that's a problem if you don't speak Japanese. You may have to memorize the actually move that the blocky red and orange Japanese phrase means. So this weird symbol mean he going to "thrust attack."..etc. This could add hours of repetition if you don't take the time to do so.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's certainly not for everybody. The repetition is a bit mind melting.
  64. Mar 22, 2019
    as expected sekiro is another great game by fromsoftware which seems they cant make a mistake with their games . The game has some elements which reminds dark souls though with many new ideas overall . I cant say it is better than dark souls or bloodborne though it is almost an entirely different game so no one should compare them directly and it is also a great game in its own unique wayas expected sekiro is another great game by fromsoftware which seems they cant make a mistake with their games . The game has some elements which reminds dark souls though with many new ideas overall . I cant say it is better than dark souls or bloodborne though it is almost an entirely different game so no one should compare them directly and it is also a great game in its own unique way and style . In general it has a pretty enjoyable and complex combat system , it gives you more freedom on how you want to approach with jumping and parkour around and it also offers a way better stealth gameplay than any of the soul games . Of course it has a great design with some amazing graphics combining with an interesting scenario . Overall yet another great game for 2019 and we have not even reach the half of it . Expand
  65. Mar 23, 2019
    Amazing graphics with a good story, and combat with a high skill cap but so satisfying when you for the first time beat a boss without taking damage.
    The only downside to it is also why the game works, there is few controlled rpg elements but this stands so u cant cheese tactics and abuse bosses in an unintended way
  66. Apr 1, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I played this game so many hours in the last 3 days and i'm going for my fist review now.

As a Dark Souls and Bloodborne-player I thought: Ok, this one will be though but I already have beaten the other FromSoftware-titles so i will be fine. I was so wrong. This game is so far the most difficult one. At least till now. I needed around 10-15 hours to fully understand everything new in this game. At least I can say after after all the learning (and of course dying) the combat is mostly awesome! Blocking in time with the sword to get through the enemy's defence is so much fun! Sekiro also looks so damn beautiful (at least for me who is interested in Japanese culture and history). Exploring the world is also cool.

The one thing I don't like so far is, you can easily get one or two shot by some enemy's. Don't get me wrong it's ok that they are strong but sometimes you cant block in time after dodging them.

There is another point which give me trouble so far: Dodging unblockable moves. I really love the mechanic. and it works quiet well vs. the "zombie-coach" but in fights against tough enemy's or bosses it's so hard to guess for which move they are going for. The time-gap is so damn little that i get hit by nearly every attack of those.

Hopefully it's just me (and not the game) who needs to improve and get better, that i can give this game 10/10 points.

-Edit-

So far, so good I think i did (and beat) everything possible in this game exept the final endboss (Ishiin).
    I indeed got better in this game after beating the first 2, 3 bosses i also got (at least a bit) better in dodging unblockable moves. I also realized the umbrella-tool helps a lot when it comes to this.
    The fast two-shotting was still a problem for me but i got used to it.
    So these problems got solved, unfortunately other things still bothered me.

The first thing is the enemy-variety. It looks like From Software got really lazy at least when it comes to the minibosses in the game. It is really sad to see some of them multiple times in the game on non-special places... It's ok to face some big Samurais (they may belong to a noble-guard or something) but for the others it's really sad. I only count 2 unique minibosses (O Rin and the armored knight on the bridge).
    Second: The manifestation-enemys (or minibosses if you want). They are by far the worst thing in the whole game. 5 Headless and 3 Shishimen-warriors. NONE of them was not even nearly fun to fight! During the midgame i try to face them sometimes but I got killed instantly. So i faced them in lategame with full attackpower and health and they die very easy with no special tactics just hit them without pause with your "divined-konfetti-katana". I expected more from FromSoftware, than this ****

At last i will come to the main-bosses in game. Also in this category they were a bit lazy. The most of them are really great in design, super-difficult and interesting like it should be. But some of them also got reused later in game like the Monk (for which i was really glad, the true monk was one of the best fights in the game), the headless ape (still creepy but kinda boring to fight in the second time) and also genichiro (which was too predictable).
    Talk about Genichiro, it's really hard to push myself to fight him in the end. Why? Because of 4 damn phases..... I immediately got annoyed after beat Phase one when I saw another 3 Phase-Points. Like I said before it's totally Ok when they are strong but i don't wanna fight one guy for 20 minutes! I'm a patiently person but also my patience is limited. I prefer one or two healthbars with a difficult moveset over this guy.

So sadly I can't get higher than 8 points but let me tell you it was a really great and fun experience so far which is totally worth playing. But compared to Dark Souls it has not that high replay-potential i think.
  67. Mar 22, 2019
    jogabilidade excelente e fluida, from software acertou novamente
    Só a parte gráfica que não esta tão forte, mas não atrapalha em anda a gameplay
  68. Apr 3, 2019
    Brilliant game, nothing shorter than of what you come to expect of a From Software title these days. The biggest criticism I find of this game from players is when they compare it with the dark souls games, or bloodborne for that matter. Thing is, this is not a bloodborne nor a dark souls, and the game is very well aware of what it is and what it's not. It is a game made by the sameBrilliant game, nothing shorter than of what you come to expect of a From Software title these days. The biggest criticism I find of this game from players is when they compare it with the dark souls games, or bloodborne for that matter. Thing is, this is not a bloodborne nor a dark souls, and the game is very well aware of what it is and what it's not. It is a game made by the same studio, applying many of the soulsborne mechanics but also introducing new ones. A lot of criticism is about the game only providing you with one way of playing it, which is partially true and partially not. Compared to dark souls it is definitely true, but that is not really a big flaw, most games does that. People who went into this game expecting a new dark souls-experience might be disappointed, but you must learn that if you want to jump into something to get your expectations met, buy the latest assassins creed or some other AAA mainstream title. If you want something fresh, innovative and exciting buy Sekiro, Jumping into this game with an open mind, and big scoop of determination you will likely have one of the best gaming experiences for years. Sekiro is one of those rare games that will consume you even when you're not playing it. You will find yourself contemplating on what path you should be investigating, what technique to use on the boss you're stuck at, what things you might have missed in your play through so far, and what secrets lying in store. Expand
  69. Apr 17, 2019
    This game is just as difficult as the dark souls games but it doesn't have the crutches. There are no cheap or OP weapons because the game has been balanced around only one. There is no summoning, so YOU have to be good enough to beat the bosses, not someone else. Leveling is dependent on game advancement, so there is no farming to over level and make the game easier.

This game takes

This game takes my favorite thing from DS - difficult bosses/gameplay to conquer giving huge accomplishment - and gets rid of all the extras. Instead of swapping in gear to help against fire like in Dark Souls, I'm spending all of my time thinking of new, improved, or perfected strategies. In DS the boss strategy often came down to just hanging back, learning attack patterns, now dodge and pick away. In Sekiro sometimes you have to be on the defensive, sometimes you have to be full offense, and everything in between. Super satisfying and HARD.
    9 for now, I expect a 10 when I'm done.

Update: Instant classic, easy 10. The game is even harder than I thought it was halfway through. Even after beating everything else the final boss feels like an insane difficulty spike. This game is not for everyone, but if you're up to the challenge I can't recommend it enough.
  70. Mar 26, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. At first glance the gameplay may seem extremely basic, just one attack button and one guard button after all. But the amount of timing, prediction, and skill needed to succeed in battles is so much more in depth. You can't just learn boss patterns like in Dark Souls, because timing is so much more necessary.

Those that continue to try and think of this game as Dark Souls are guaranteed to fail, because this is nothing like dark souls and there is no reason why it should be. Whats the harm in FromSoftware branching out and succeeding so wonderfully after all?

If there is any issue I ever have with the game, it stems from momentary frustration due to my own ineptitude, and is easily remedied by me thinking back on my mistakes. Once I realize what I did wrong it is easy to remedy and try something different. Bosses like Genichiro or Lady Butterfly can't be fought defensively, meanwhile bosses like Guardian Ape or Corrupted Monk can't be completely offensively. Yes, both need offense and defense in specific balance, but it becomes easy to tell simply by how the enemy moves and attacks.

Simply put, I fail to find much fault in this game overall, it simply accommodates with so much of my preferences in games. It's skill based and fair, but punishing if you get even slightly too cocky. The bosses all have simple ways to win, but it takes a while to figure it out if you aren't paying attention. And the story, oh god the story and characters are just fantastic-.

Now, I'm very nearly finished with the game (At the Isshin fight going for the Severing of Immortality ending.) So it isn't like i'm completely talking hot air.
  71. Mar 22, 2019
    Bel gioco, grafica discreta e difficile all'ennesima potenza.
    Resta che ti tiene attaccato allo schermo per il forte senso di competizione che si instaura. Inoltre i combattimenti sono difficili, ma mai punitivi con l'impegno superi sempre il boss o miniboss di turno. Da comprare al day one!!!
  72. Mar 22, 2019
    Don't listen to people comparing this to Nioh because they're nowhere identical. Sekiro is extremely technical game that emphasizes raw skill with some light RPG mechanics. I applaud From Software doing something entirely different and being successful at it. You will think the introduction of the resurrection mechanic will make the game "easier" compared to previous titles, but if youDon't listen to people comparing this to Nioh because they're nowhere identical. Sekiro is extremely technical game that emphasizes raw skill with some light RPG mechanics. I applaud From Software doing something entirely different and being successful at it. You will think the introduction of the resurrection mechanic will make the game "easier" compared to previous titles, but if you aren't at the top of your game, than you'll easily find yourself beaten down by a simple thief. If you are looking for an action game that really tests raw skill to something that a game like DMC focuses on, than Sekiro will be your game. The lore is rich enough to keep you engaged, but far less cryptic than the Dark Souls games meaning you don't have to watch a gauntlet of youtube videos to really know what's going on.
    World design is really neat offering higher vantage points to really plan your routes offering a little more flexibility in how you engage enemies compared to past titles.

Yea the graphics aren't exactly amazing, but honestly who really cares if the gameplay is good. Occasionally frame rate drops, but nothing major and something can be resolved easily with a patch. The addition of the mechanical arm is a nice introduction as it functions similarly to the trick weapons of bloodborne but has very specific uses and can be upgraded to increase its utility. You won't be disappointed with this title and anyone who gives it below an 8 because of graphics and frame-rate is just ridiculous.
  73. Mar 31, 2019
    Sekiro is hard and for all the wrong reasons. Yes this is a from software game but what DS & BB did was give you a feeling of achievement and progress when overcoming those obstacles which is missing totally in this game. It feels like they deliberately made this game hard, punishing and not fulfilling. It just baffles me as to why they took this route when their other games where -Sekiro is hard and for all the wrong reasons. Yes this is a from software game but what DS & BB did was give you a feeling of achievement and progress when overcoming those obstacles which is missing totally in this game. It feels like they deliberately made this game hard, punishing and not fulfilling. It just baffles me as to why they took this route when their other games where - despite the difficulty - well received and loved whereas this game will/is not. Yes there are people enjoying it and I'm happy for them. I've played easily over 800h in from's worlds and the games never felt undeserved except in defined areas/locals. This game however has a convoluted gameplay system, very hard to master/even grasp mechanics and enemies that just are not fun to play against. Yes you can master it but to what end? Just for the sake of it?
    There is no reason to play through it again unless you want to platinum or show others how (get) "good" you are. No different builds but only different "prostetics".
    I'm just disappointed in the final product because they could have made a(-nother) masterpiece yet focused too hard on difficulty than fun/feeling of overcoming obstacles.
    In my opinion a game isn't good because it is hard. A game has to have some traits that define it other than the difficulty and overall has to be fun to be played. This game doesn't give me satisfaction (in killing enemies, bosses, progressing), it just drags on. Not worth it for me hope you like it.
  74. Mar 26, 2019
    Amazing game, it's not Dark Souls, it's not Bloodborne, this is Sekiro. It has a lot of the DNA of Souls games, but it is a different game for sure. It's difficult, but it's not unbeatable, just don't give up and leave a salty review on metacritic, just because you are bad. The negative reviews are a joke, especially the one claiming it's ripping off Nioh.....Guess they never knew thatAmazing game, it's not Dark Souls, it's not Bloodborne, this is Sekiro. It has a lot of the DNA of Souls games, but it is a different game for sure. It's difficult, but it's not unbeatable, just don't give up and leave a salty review on metacritic, just because you are bad. The negative reviews are a joke, especially the one claiming it's ripping off Nioh.....Guess they never knew that Nioh came after the Soulsborne games, or that Tenchu was a From Soft title, and this game is 100% From Soft, not Nioh at all...

Whatever, point is, the game is fantastic, could easily be game of the year so far, but I doubt it will get the media appreciation it deserves. Great game, runs fantastic on PC (no ultrawide support and locked to 60fps, so I docked 1 point), other than that I get steady 60 fps at 1080p, and 1440p on a gtx 1070 and a 6600k. Beautiful, amazing level design, very fun, and challenging boss battles, with normal mobs that let you feel like a bad ass again after getting beat down by a boss for a few hours. Highly recommended, and to the idiot saying it's "QTE" combat..... I'm really not sure what game he's playing, you can break an enemys posture and do a death blow, but it's not straight forward to get to that point, Soulsborne games always had a finishing move after parries, or backstabs....this is the exact same thing, and nobody claimed those were QTE's, and just like in those games, you need to either parry, more than once on later mobs, to even get the deathblow, so it's not like you're just pressing A to one shot everyone.

Metacritic should really prune the reviews that exist just to trash a game, without a basic understanding of it. There's just no way anyone in their right mind could rate this lower than a 6, even if they couldn't get passed the first boss, you will still experience enough of the game to appreciate what is being done here, and that it was your own ineptitude that kept you from proceeding.
  75. Mar 24, 2019
    -great world/level design and enemy placement, this is incredibly important in a game where you die a lot
    -cleverly placed items that encourage you to explore or lead you into traps
    -grounded combat (as opposed to hack n slash games like dmc) with similiar, simple inputs like the Souls/borne games, but with new options and more fancy looking abilities and animations -challenging and
    -cleverly placed items that encourage you to explore or lead you into traps
    -challenging and fair difficulty paired with the "face to face" combat makes beating (mini)bosses really satisfying
    -beautiful art design that overshadows the underwhelming graphics
    -and most importantly, the shinobi prosthetic is awesome

From Software did it again.
  76. Mar 26, 2019
    I took 3 days off to play this game and man I wish I took a whole week. Sekiro is amazing and I’m so happy! Thank you From Software.
  77. Mar 26, 2019
    Sekiro is fantastic. It feels familiar to souls fans but it also manages to feel completely different. It has its own lore that is actually easier to understand than the souls games because there are many avenues to actually get some lore. The main bosses are all unique and offer many phases. The bosses will kill you a lot but like any good souls game from the past, conquering that bossSekiro is fantastic. It feels familiar to souls fans but it also manages to feel completely different. It has its own lore that is actually easier to understand than the souls games because there are many avenues to actually get some lore. The main bosses are all unique and offer many phases. The bosses will kill you a lot but like any good souls game from the past, conquering that boss that has killed you for hours will feel amazing and will give you a rush that simply cannot be felt from many other games. Where Sekiro falls a little short for me is with its prosthetic tools. A lot of them are far too situational and some are just not really worth using as it may get you hit if you try to use one and when you get hit you lose a lot of hp in this game. Overall the game is fantastic and worth picking up. There are 4 different endings and a new game plus to keep people playing even after the credits roll. Expand
  78. Apr 1, 2019
    In Sekiro, From Software boils down the combat of Dark Souls and Bloodborne to it’s most brutal and intimate – where constant engagement with the enemy is required to succeed. However, much of the variety and satisfaction that is typical of From’s other Souls- like games has also be been boiled away. Partly due to the setting and theme of the game, but I fear it is also because FromIn Sekiro, From Software boils down the combat of Dark Souls and Bloodborne to it’s most brutal and intimate – where constant engagement with the enemy is required to succeed. However, much of the variety and satisfaction that is typical of From’s other Souls- like games has also be been boiled away. Partly due to the setting and theme of the game, but I fear it is also because From Software are starting to believe their own hype.

The commitment to sword fighting certainly gives Sekiro it’s own flavour and soul. You defeat enemies through strict attacks, parries and deflection usually when the enemy telegraphs a specific move. ‘Hanging Back’ or Shield/Tanking will get you murdered fast. Some encounters have large arenas but ‘giving yourself room’ will only just prolong your very certain death. Most fights require you to waltz in uncomfortably close proximity to very intimidating people – a waltz you instinctually fight against.

Your agency as a player becomes limited once you are close enough to fight, as responses need to be very specific. This translates to reduced satisfaction – I didn’t ‘beat’ bosses so much as I responded in the required way to their actions – never really feeling like I had overcome the enemy – but was only allowed pass the area after following the enemies orders.

At times it seems that the game is trying to be frustrating for the sake of its own rep (as opposed to increased satisfaction of victory).

Specifically with bosses whose attack telegraphing is so subtle that it’s incredibly difficult to figure out what attack is coming in the 1 second you have to react. You need to be very active and get toe to toe with the boss, but you absolutely cannot trade blows either because your health bar is some sort of prank for those gullible enough to think it makes any difference to your survivability.

Most boss hits will either knock off 90 percent of your entire bar, our just outright kill you. Any hit you survive will require 2 seconds to heal, an action which some bosses are programmed to leap across the arena in that very moment and immediately remove that health you just got back.

Sekiro bloody knows this too. There is a resurrection mechanic whereby you resurrect where you died (sometimes resurrecting twice is possible depending on progress) to continue the fight. Which tells me that the developers knew how cheap death could be and added the respawn mechanic after developing the main combat to help balance things.

I can already hear the response that this was due to the plot thread of immortality and resurrection – but that would work anyway from the fact that you can revive at a bonfire (called buddha ‘Idols’’) like other Souls-like games. The resurrection mechanic feels like a development patch.

Sekiro seems to be heading towards another critical point of Souls-like in the form of ‘shared knowledge’ – where much of the content is discovered through communities/wikis. I found this to be much less appropriate in Sekiro because it is definitely a single player game – there’s no co-op or invasions. I’m also pretty sure I would still be stuck on some of the bosses now if I hadn’t looked up solutions.

I thought about a time when I was playing games before I had the internet, and if I was playing Sekiro then there would be no way I’d have figured this out. And it’s not optional stuff either – its critical path main story progress.

This is not a bad game, in fact it has many of the good quality for Froms other souls like. Great areas to explore, will designed characters and and interesting story - But it's pushing too far in the name of its own rep. The builds, magic, dodge rolling of other games is gone but not replaced with anything as substantial. The prosthetic tools are surprizingly useless as you ultimately need to play guitar hero with each encounter. There is no creativeness in success. Just tap in line with how the developers demand, to be allowed continue.

I have not enough space to flash out specifics, but a more in dept and more or less spoiler-free review can be found on my site:

theboilingpot dot net

I was able to play to the end but I took so little away when comparing to Froms other games. Each encounter victory did not leave me with a quickened heart rate but with a feeling of jumping through hoops at the whim of developers who felt they needed to reach a saltiness quota.

Sekiro is a game with alot of quality yet is never reached the impact as it otherwise may have.
  79. Mar 25, 2019
    I am terrible at this game. I have played probably 4 hours. I have died almost a hundred times. But it's beautiful, holds me accountable, and I love it. This is my first From Software game, and I went in with the expectation that I would die a million times and might need to restart the game because of how terrible I would be at it. I think if you go in with that mindset, you'll becomeI am terrible at this game. I have played probably 4 hours. I have died almost a hundred times. But it's beautiful, holds me accountable, and I love it. This is my first From Software game, and I went in with the expectation that I would die a million times and might need to restart the game because of how terrible I would be at it. I think if you go in with that mindset, you'll become addicted to the exacting and exciting gameplay and alluring world. Wish me luck. Any advice on how to be better at this would be appreciated it. Gave a 9 cuz it's too hard, but it also gets a 9 cuz it's so hard. Expand
  80. Mar 22, 2019
    I love it. Finally is the first title from software that I am able to play . The combat system is awesome, with bloodborne I could play , too slow to attack, this one is faster and really reflex skill based , obviously technically is not the best as FS always been. But the gameplay is just nice.
  81. Mar 23, 2019
    Ok so first off I don't like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I like them from the outside (as in I think they look like great games in terms of environments, bosses etc.) but when I gave them a go I hated the repetitive corpse runs, rarity of checkpoints and lack of story focus. I know hardcore fans love all that but it felt tedious to me and I was always disappointed that I couldn't get intoOk so first off I don't like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I like them from the outside (as in I think they look like great games in terms of environments, bosses etc.) but when I gave them a go I hated the repetitive corpse runs, rarity of checkpoints and lack of story focus. I know hardcore fans love all that but it felt tedious to me and I was always disappointed that I couldn't get into them (I got as far as Father Gascoine in BB).

Despite all that I still pre-ordered Sekiro because it looked amazing when watching the trailers and gameplay videos. I'm happy to say that I have finally found a From Soft game that I can actually enjoy. This game is hard AF but it's so good and when you die it doesn't feel unfair or cheap. The combat is fast and fluid and the movement feels unrestricted and free (can actually jump and climb!). The skills tree is way better than having a list of stats as well, and after each boss you get a prayer bead, once you get 4 you can unlock a health & posture boost. This takes away the grinding element as you can't just grind to improve health or posture before a boss. This probably makes it harder in some ways but I prefer it.

The story is also a lot clearer (although you still have to piece things together) and a proper protagonist is much better IMO as it gives some purpose to what you are doing. I haven't completed it yet I've just got past the poisonous drunkard boss from the trailer but so far I'm loving it.

If you like action adventure games then you will definitely love this as it's incredible. Even if you don't like soulsborne games give this one a try as it's a lot more accessible than previous titles. The combat and general movement are more fluid, the checkpoints are spread out more sensibly, and there is much more overall polish in terms of final product.
  82. Mar 24, 2019
    I had to come to grips with the lack of RPG mechanics, but I think From have created a masterpiece. The game being based on a specific character / weapon allowed them to make something incredibly focused while retaining signature From oddness, ambiguity, and intricate world design.

People saying the combat is just about parrying now have not mastered the combat. In practice, deflection works pretty differently than parrying in Dark Souls. There's so much more nuance to the combat now, from crowd control options, when to jump, dodge, block or deflect, move interruptions, combat arts, combos with prosthetic attachments good against certain enemies, etc. The posture system alone makes it completely different than Dark Souls. You can not play it like those games even if it seems like you can get away with it. If you're playing well you will be aggressive, attacking often and performing very deliberate moves against specific enemies.

Once the combat clicked I was amazed at how fluid and fun it can be, and that a lot of tough enemies can be taken down pretty quickly if you play well. One thing it does have in common with Souls is that the longer a boss stays alive, the harder it is to deal with. And like Dark Souls it's a difficult game because it wants you to learn how to play it right, and execution in Sekiro is even more challenging, and even more satisfying than From's other games.
  83. Mar 23, 2019
    After the SoulsBorne series it was apparent that Sekiro would deliver a quite different experience. Although some features are pretty similar such as the estus flasks for healing. Besides that the new fighting system is quite interesting but to me personally disappointing. It does not feel very appealing sometimes even more mashy although the 60fps combat itself is amazingly fluent.

I

I encountered some frame drops but as it was always on the same screen positions I think it is just a minor optimization problem because besides that the game runs smooth. The graphic is at times beautiful and sometimes a bit disappointing. It lacks details of other current gen titles of that caliber which is not that bad but I feel it still has to be noted because it is noticeable. The soundtrack is good but does not get me driven as other titles aswell. Yet it blends in well with the general theme. The loading times are okay. Strangely they seemed to get better after I was playing for a while, maybe I just got used to it. It is not as bad as Bloodborne was but still there are noticeably loading times when using the fast travel. Besides that the interconnected world has no loading sequences which is nice.

The enemies are okay-ish. I cannot pinpoint describe what is lacking but they do not feel as detailed and charming as other games that FromSoftware delivered. The variety is also a little bit weak. Main and sub bosses are again a hard competition but the posture system feels weird at times when facing them. Also sometimes it feels more like defendin for huge time while dealing 1-2 slashes and wait again. This of course might be intended but to me feels less entertaining.

I want to re-visit this review after more play-time as games such as DS or Bloodborne also took some time to get going but the first impression is, that the game was pretty hyped, delivered well but it is certainly not the awaited next prodigy from FromSoftware. Thats at least my personal opinion.

Interested people should wait for a price drop. I do not see the launce price tag fitting, yet.
  84. Apr 6, 2019
    If the game is hard, git gud. Stop crying about it in your review that you gave a zero because, once again, you should probably just git gud. Do people really complain about how many GB's the game file is....c'mon dude git gud. Are people ACTUALLY saying this game ripped off Nioh??? Nioh OBVIOUSLY copied FromSoftware's games that's why it was a good game, so get it straight, oh and gitIf the game is hard, git gud. Stop crying about it in your review that you gave a zero because, once again, you should probably just git gud. Do people really complain about how many GB's the game file is....c'mon dude git gud. Are people ACTUALLY saying this game ripped off Nioh??? Nioh OBVIOUSLY copied FromSoftware's games that's why it was a good game, so get it straight, oh and git gud. In closing, stop crying, git gud and have a lovely day.
    P.S. Slant Magazine is absolut trash. Their game reviews are click-bait and their reviewers need to git gud.
    P.S.S. To all the "soulbourne veterans" who had the audacity to complain about difficulty in a FromSoftware game, you frauds need to go down to the store and pick up a big bottle of maximum strength GitGud.
  85. Mar 23, 2019
    Great game! I had high expectation and am not disappointed. Maybe I'll love it more than RE2. Too early to say. But it's definitely worth it.
  86. Mar 22, 2019
    A really great game that starts to expand what the soulsborne franchise made, and creates something new altogether
  87. Mar 23, 2019
    Miyazaki did it again.

Froms come back wit a new ip setting in an amazing Mystical Japan. The game is hard but very satisfying, Art and map design are very inspired, but the very core of this game is the amazing gameplay. From improve the sword combat of the old souls, with some good stealth mechanics and cool finisher moves. So far a truly masterpiece...maybe not for everyone.
  88. Mar 22, 2019
    Mil vezes melhor que o repetitivo Nioh..

Quem jogou Tenchu? Esse jogo é um Tenchu + DarkBorne

SENSACIONAL!!!
  89. Mar 22, 2019
    A better game than expected.
    The From software succeeded the gameplay of the Soul series and Blood Borne, but made a nice IP game with a new attempt. The manipulation of the battle unmistakably provides the thrill and thrill that has never been seen before.
  90. Mar 22, 2019
    From software has done it again
    Sekiro shadows die twice isn't just brutally difficult, its brutally amazing
    Everything about this game oozes quality and finesse. This is a game crafted with love and care and I can't recommend it enough. Even if you don't like the souls games, i still absolutely recommend it. Its gameplay is drastically different from souls or bloodborne and thats
    From software has done it again
    Sekiro shadows die twice isn't just brutally difficult, its brutally amazing
    Everything about this game oozes quality and finesse.
    This is a game crafted with love and care and I can't recommend it enough.
    Even if you don't like the souls games, i still absolutely recommend it.
    Its gameplay is drastically different from souls or bloodborne and thats what makes it awesome
  91. Mar 22, 2019
    One of the Best game this year! If you like Tenchu and Dark souls this is a perfect game for you!! Punishing gameplay as expected from Fromsoft. Definitely not for casual gamers out there.
  92. Mar 22, 2019
    Great game, combat is fluent, the difficulty is there, its a nice tenchu souls blend of a game im too lazy to write a whole review so there thats all you get
  93. Mar 22, 2019
    Sekiro is a great game with great graphics, they are the best this generation of consoles has seen, but it still is a sight to behold. The game play is top-notch, as expected from From Software, and the implication of the grapple in the wide world is amazing. The combat is also another splendid feature that shows this is a From Software game. I highly recommend playing this game.
  94. Mar 23, 2019
    For an old school Tenchu fan like me, this is the game I was waiting for.
    For veteran SoulsBorn fans, it might take time to learn the new combat system, but once you master it, you will feel like a god.
    For an old school Tenchu fan like me, this is the game I was waiting for.
    You can pause, you can swim, you can jump, and while you have more freedom of exploration and movement than ever, the combat's steep learning curve can really punish you early in the game.- The progression is cruel, but fair and extremely satisfying. It is admittedly a hard game, but if you stick with it, you will love it.
  95. Mar 25, 2019
    My first impression of this game was a bit "meh." I'm a soulsborne vet and I love things about those games that were clearly not a part of Sekiro (obscure story, collecting armor, lack of explanation about anything, creepy vibe).

However, after giving it five hours, I am convinced this game is yet another masterpiece of From's. Is it my favorite of theirs? No, it's going to take a lot to beat BB and DS, but it belongs and I know I'll be playing this one through many times.

If you're on the fence, take it from me and from other reviewers: you need to give it several hours before it "clicks." Get past some of the mini bosses, and the first main boss Gyoubu. Look up tips on how to beat him if necessary because it'll inform how to beat other bosses.

I'm an explorer and love finding secrets. Trust me, there are tons of those as you progress and you're rewarded for going off the beaten path.

Enjoy, use the wiki/youtube if you need, and give it a solid chance before giving up!
  96. Mar 23, 2019
    Just like bloodborne, this game is another From Software masterpiece! I wish all games could be this polished and be created with this level of passion!
  97. Mar 23, 2019
    Just awesome.
    I love Souls series. But this is something else.
    When Dark SOuls meets Tenchu & Ninja Gaiden.
    Incredible level design.

No more words. Just play this game.
  98. Mar 22, 2019
    Aquela sensação de medo e de não saber o que te aguarda que a fromsoftware faz com maestria, simplesmente incrível, cada cenário cada inimigo tudo jogão
  99. Mar 24, 2019
    Literally pay no real attention to 70% of the negative reviews. Sekiro is on a class all on it's own and From Software has said countless times that it was targeting pure action, rather than anything you would consider "deep" like countless RPG elements. Sekiro is an Action-RPG and that last part is because of the utility offered by items, prosthetic tools earned throughout the game (whichLiterally pay no real attention to 70% of the negative reviews. Sekiro is on a class all on it's own and From Software has said countless times that it was targeting pure action, rather than anything you would consider "deep" like countless RPG elements. Sekiro is an Action-RPG and that last part is because of the utility offered by items, prosthetic tools earned throughout the game (which are essentially like spells or weapon morphs in Bloodborne), and other stat related enhancements and even deadly. Sekiro is not Bloodborne, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, SoulsBorne, wtf-etc! It's masterclass enemy design, animations, stealth, action mechanics, unique NPC quests, and it's "lovely" killer roosters :) not to mention some of the best fuc*** boss battles I've played in a video game! If you don't like sekiro, sekiro doesn't care... you already 死 Expand
  100. Mar 25, 2019
    This game is NOT for the filthy casuals (APEX, Madden, Fortnite, NBA2K) and the salty complainers about the game's difficulty.. or Please stop writing negative reviews since you are NOT qualified to play this game. This game separates the men from the boys.. The Dark Souls & Bloodborne fans assume this will be similar, but has a rude awakening - ITS NOT! This is a game that requiresThis game is NOT for the filthy casuals (APEX, Madden, Fortnite, NBA2K) and the salty complainers about the game's difficulty.. or Please stop writing negative reviews since you are NOT qualified to play this game. This game separates the men from the boys.. The Dark Souls & Bloodborne fans assume this will be similar, but has a rude awakening - ITS NOT! This is a game that requires a lot of concentration, patience and perseverance. If you don't have the patience to die 100X to learn how to defeat some of the toughest bosses then this game is NOT for you.. This game is designed specifically for intelligent gamers that have refined tastes.

I have put in about 15hrs+ and so far I would give this 9.5 overall. It's an absolute fantastic game! The story is absolutely memorizing and the battles are intense.. You have to be patient, smart, and just plain "git gud". The graphics people complaining about seems pretty pathetic.. The GRAPHICS ARE GREAT! I would give it a 9/10.. Is it God of War graphics good no, but its not freaken PS2 or PS3 quality.

The music and the ambient effects are great! I love the boss battles so far and the learning how to combo and parry in this game.

Gameplay - in absolute 10 -

Overall - This is just a masterpiece. Absolute enthralling battle and action sequences. The story is very interesting and its for true gamers are willing to accept the toughest boss and game challenges. For the casuals and madden/nba2k gamers stay away.. This game was not designed for low IQ.
  101. Apr 10, 2019
    I find the world in this game very exciting and beautiful that is till I hit my first brick wall of a boss. This is not my first from software game, I have been with them since Demon's Souls and I had hit brick walls back then, but the bosses were fun and even dying after a few times I felt like if I kept trying I could eventually come out victorious. Not here, some of the bosses in thisI find the world in this game very exciting and beautiful that is till I hit my first brick wall of a boss. This is not my first from software game, I have been with them since Demon's Souls and I had hit brick walls back then, but the bosses were fun and even dying after a few times I felt like if I kept trying I could eventually come out victorious. Not here, some of the bosses in this game will just kill you in matter of seconds if you make even the slightest mistake.

As I have gotten older my reflexes are not quite what they use to be and this game punishes me for that over and over again. You can really feel the Activision in this with them always wanting everything to be super-fast paced. Which is weird, because it is only that way with the bosses and some of the mini bosses, but the open world is on the other side of that? You can slowly go around and stealth kill enemies and take as much time as you want to clear out an area before going to the next.

The biggest difference with this and souls games are that in souls, you can build a character to fit YOUR fighting style. Playing as a cool shinobi is pretty fun, but if it’s not your style this game will suck for you. Also in Souls games when you hit a brick wall you could go back and level some or try to upgrade your gear in some way and take on the encounter again. In Sekiro you hit a wall you are pretty much SOL, because the only way to get stronger is to kill bosses or mini bosses. So if you were like me when you would hit a brick wall, you would go try to upgrade somehow and go back. This may not be the game for you; because I have fought one boss so many times I lost count. Sometimes I would get them to the secret third phase (no surprise there), I would be all out of gourds (flasks) and would be struck down in seconds.

On the bright side of things, this games open world is awesome, it’s beautiful, the stealth is neat and counter system is pretty fun. It just not enough to fun for when you hit a brick wall and can't get passed it. So if you really want to try it, I would suggest buying it used somewhere or wait for a sale at the very least. It is worth trying to see if it is something you may like or not, because to each their own. My last side note is the first 10 hours or so you will have you ups and downs, it’s not till later you will hit the brick walls.

With that said, this is not the From Software I know and love; this is something I won't even bother to beat. I purchased this game digitally, because I thought "oh it’s From Software, I'm sure I will love it." To tell you the truth, if I had a psychical copy, the game would already be returned or sold off.

1. May 15, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an enjoyable, yet deeply challenging game. It's not really a Dark Souls with samurais game, but whether or not you enjoyed the difficulty level of the battles in Dark Souls will be a good benchmark in gauging how much you'll like Sekiro. If you're persistent, up for a challenge, and don't become frustrated easily, then Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an easy game to recommend.
  2. Apr 28, 2019
    Though Sekiro feels impossibly hard at times, the level of euphoria you experience when delivering a death blow to a tricky boss or when you finally clear a castle grounds of all enemies is almost unparalleled.
  3. Apr 27, 2019
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice succeeds in its incredibly visceral combat and stealth all while being set in an engaging game world. However, its linear character growth options and repetitive combat begin to dull the experience after you get over the initial hump.