6.4

There are no user reviews yet - Be first to review Songbringer.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. games(TM)
    Oct 6, 2017
    The combination of approaches offers gameplay that's initially engrossing. But a lack of emerging ideas and differing enemy types robs latter sections of that same excitement. [Issue#192, p.83]
  2. Sep 20, 2017
    Songbringer was a fun time, first and foremost. It didn't change how I look at indie games or set my world on fire, but I had fun during most of my playthrough. However, I also see little reason to invest time in it after the credits have rolled — very few games get a second run-through from me these days. It isn't a game free of faults: the narrative was never more than window dressing, and the game's randomly-generated aspect really required some better guidance for essential gameplay systems. However, the main component, the game's combat, works well and is downright satisfying. Anybody with even a passing interest in classic experiences will likely find something of value here, and some will even discover a second home that they'll return to again and again.
  3. Sep 9, 2017
    Songbringer's core gameplay is enjoyable and the variety of weapons and items means that you're always unlocking something fresh and getting to experiment with new things. However, it's doubtful that the procedural generation will add a ton to the experience and the sloppy pixelated visuals frequently detract from the otherwise satisfying adventure.