8.1

1. Aug 15, 2017
    Best Sonic game in years. This is the perfect game for Sonic fans and new-comers to the franchise. Great level design, beautiful retro inspired graphics, and amazing music make this the Sonic game you can not miss.
  2. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a game made with passion and love. It is definitely made for the fans and also any new players who never got to experience the first sonic games.

For only $30 you get a full game with high replay value; -being able to play as Sonic, Sonic/Tails, and Knuckles -Getting all the chaos emeralds -Speedrunning and just trying to get an higher score The game itself has a

For only $30 you get a full game with high replay value;
    -being able to play as Sonic, Sonic/Tails, and Knuckles
    -Getting all the chaos emeralds
    -Speedrunning and just trying to get an higher score

The game itself has a lot of old and new levels with new mechanics like the drop dash from sonic
    The drop dash is so fun to use and extremely useful
    Going back to the levels; the lvl design is top notch and you have a lot you can collect while you make your way to the boss!
    Also the bonus stages feel like a good side thing to do and it was a good addition

They also added mini bosses for act 1 of every stage and I really appreciate that; since it helps your prepare for the big one in act 2. The bosses themselves have been remade; familiar bosses has new moves and stages (There's a few that caught me off guard, so wont spoil xD) but all of the bosses are really well made with some blast from the past

Lastly the music; I think this is what holds a major part of Sonic's success and that is the music. Lots of remixed music from the past and new ones but all of them are soo good; already in my playlist. I never found a single track that was not memorable and Sonic once again achieves that
    ~Opening Animation is really cool too along with the music

To wrap it up Sonic Mania is simply an amazing game. For $30, and not full price, you get a somewhat Classic Sonic Sequel with lots of new elements and remixed soundtrack/stages.
    The game keeps grabbing you to come back for me and trust me, I will play as much as I can before Sonic Forces come out!

Congrats Sega you have made it back!
  3. Sep 13, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a game for the fans by long time fans of the franchise. I ordered the Collector's edition and was thoroughly satisfied with it's contents. The game itself is just as good if not better then the first 4 sonic games from the 90's. Just a simple plot, a simple goal, and a complex series of jumps, loop-de-loops, explosions, and crunches!
  4. Sep 5, 2017
    Es uno de los mejores juegos de Sonic sin duda alguna, me ha hecho recordar las grandes partidas de la megadrive, con escenarios clásicos y a la vez unos totalmente nuevos.. jugabilidad perfecta, digno de ser el "verdadero" Sonic 4. Tiene mezcla de todos los Sonic clasicos, incluido el Sonic CD. el punto negativo pueden ser las bases de bonús que para mi son bastante complicadas. la BandaEs uno de los mejores juegos de Sonic sin duda alguna, me ha hecho recordar las grandes partidas de la megadrive, con escenarios clásicos y a la vez unos totalmente nuevos.. jugabilidad perfecta, digno de ser el "verdadero" Sonic 4. Tiene mezcla de todos los Sonic clasicos, incluido el Sonic CD. el punto negativo pueden ser las bases de bonús que para mi son bastante complicadas. la Banda sonora es de 10! Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is amazing great visuals great sounds ...just enough old stuff and new stuff.... everything feels fresh and inovative .......bosses are varied and feel fun to battle against music harkons back to the glory days but with diffrences and enhancemnets ......spoilers ahead ....warning.... one boss i got to i was like ok,cool how will i fight him here.......well you play puyo puyo!!!!! (Or dr robotnics mean bean machine Expand
  6. Aug 17, 2017
    Undoubtedly the best 16-bit blue hedgehog game, colorful levels, spectacular soundtrack and a great variety of special areas with its referred head, certainly A Current Masterpiece
  7. Aug 20, 2017
    Sonic Mania is hands down the best Sonic game in many years, and is arguably the best Sonic game of all time. This game is a treat for old and new fans of the blue hedgehog. I grew up playing all the old genesis games as a kid and now 10-15 years later, I finally get to play a brand new classic 2D Sonic title. This game is what I've been asking for all those years and this development teamSonic Mania is hands down the best Sonic game in many years, and is arguably the best Sonic game of all time. This game is a treat for old and new fans of the blue hedgehog. I grew up playing all the old genesis games as a kid and now 10-15 years later, I finally get to play a brand new classic 2D Sonic title. This game is what I've been asking for all those years and this development team knocked this game out of the park, along with a perfect soundtrack by Tee Lopes. I don't usually write reviews but I had too because this game is incredible and I hope they consider more classic 2D titles in the future. Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2017
    I'm a long time Sonic the hedgehog fan, and I must say I rather enjoy most sonic games that I own/I've tried, and Sonic Mania isn't only enjoyable as a sonic fan, but as a gamer in general. I'm a fan of platformers but Sonic the Hedgehog has always been my favorite and this game is a tribute to Sonic the Hedgehog in every way possible:
    Awesome music- Check
    References to another sonic
    Awesome music- Check
    References to another sonic games - Double check xD
    Fluid gameplay - Check
    Creative levels- Check
    And the tale goes on and on and on and on...
    This game contains references to everything, the new gimmicks are cool and the old re-imagined old levels are awesome(specially the Sonic CD levels imo), I'm also a fan of the creative and full of references bosses - like the robotnik mean bean machine boss, the sonic fighters boss and the metalic madness one come to mind.
    Because of that I'm going to give Mania the perfect score 10/10
  9. Aug 24, 2017
    I'd say a 9.5 given a few hiccups, but this is an AMAZING Sonic game. Old fans and new can enjoy the blue blur as he returns to platforming glory.

Pros: - Perfect physics/momentum based gameplay. - Great new levels and amazing re-imagining of classic stages. - Perfect soundtrack, Tee Lopes knows how to capture the feel of Sonic music. - Great pixel graphics, and varying backgrounds

Pros:
    - Perfect physics/momentum based gameplay.
    - Great new levels and amazing re-imagining of classic stages.
    - Perfect soundtrack, Tee Lopes knows how to capture the feel of Sonic music.
    - Great pixel graphics, and varying backgrounds between Acts and even within each level. This helps keep the gameplay fresh.

Cons:
    - PS4 Leaderboards for Time Trials don't work, they crash out the game. As of now, they haven't been fixed. This is a real bummer, a lot of replay value is in the Time Trials and comparing your scores to others online.
    - A more subjective criticism, but it would be great if the graphics were more on par with something like Sonic 4 (high quality, HD, clear) instead of the classic pixel style. Combine those graphics with the gameplay, physics, and momentum of Mania and you have an even better game, in my humble opinion.
  10. Aug 25, 2017
    Great game for for sonic fans a must buy. if you are bad at classic sonic games do not play this its not for you, stick too your boring new super mario bros
  11. Sep 8, 2017
    Uall! Sonic game was nostaugic from start to finish. I remember when I was a kid and I was hours and hours in front of the mega drive. I think they should have done a checking in the graphs because the stages and the sound are very good, but the graphs leave to wish. Even so, it is not something that disrupts the experience! Go, Go Sonic !!
  12. Aug 25, 2017
    Best Sonic game ever! 10/10
    - Fact: This is an amazing game!
    - The Sonic 3 & Knuckles sequel that we've all been waiting for.
    - Fantastic music!
    - Awesome level design.
    - Retro graphics!
    - Better Boss Battles!
    - &Knuckles
  13. Sep 6, 2017
    This is the first time I've felt obligated to write a review on Meta.

This is the first time I've felt obligated to write a review on Meta.

Being a massive fan of all previous Sonic games and the blue speedster in general (going way back to 1991 and the SEGA Master system and Sonic The Comic). I almost religiously played the games to death, the pinnacle imho being Sonic 3 & Knuckles combo on Megadrive. With the last being Sonic Generations which I enjoyed but nothing else.

After Generations, I wondered if there would be any point playing Sonic Mania due to having my “30-something, seen it all and done it all” attitude - but I'm so glad I took this blue leap of faith.

Firstly, what struck me was that I was overjoyed by the amount of times I caught myself laughing/grinning at the screen, amazed by something I'd played various versions of millions of times over, yet seeing it twisted and reworked in such a beautiful way and providing delight I haven't had from a game in years.

I was thrilled by the old bonus levels (which I love and hate equally) mixed in with the very enjoyable new ones. Playability with all the main core characters Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (no sign of Vector/Bumble-dude and Shadow in sight thankfully). Reworkings of old and classic bosses were a highlight (Big shout out to Mean Bean Machine) & Tails flying his plane!! They all worked so well as a whole product.

This is a game which is challenging for Sonic oldies - I'm not ashamed to say I even got a 'Game Over' and was even bailed out by my buddy Tails - whose A.I delighted me no end.

Mania got me enthusiastic about Sonic again in a way I never thought imaginable. I hope this project is a massive success and they can go on to produce many more games.

My initial reaction was that it can’t be as comprehensive and fun a game as the aforementioned S3 & K and it isn’t because nostalgia is the overpowering factor but it’s such a welcome throwback for us veterans who look back on Sonic as part of our golden generation of games…

I, for one, will be one of the first in the queue again if they decide to make more.

B
  14. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania is like a breath of fresh air to the series.It's the ideal 2d Sonic game that I wanted for more than 20 years and I was not let down.Game journalist point out that "There are more retro levels that new" and yes that is technically a flaw but I don't care I had immense fun with this game that I didn't mind what level comes up.To make a good Sonic game a good Sonic game in needsSonic Mania is like a breath of fresh air to the series.It's the ideal 2d Sonic game that I wanted for more than 20 years and I was not let down.Game journalist point out that "There are more retro levels that new" and yes that is technically a flaw but I don't care I had immense fun with this game that I didn't mind what level comes up.To make a good Sonic game a good Sonic game in needs to check these criteria(Level design, Art and graphics, Accessibility and a soundtrack)
    Sonic Mania gets the main part of a formula for a great Sonic game and then some.The level design of these stages are excellent and each and every set piece was thought out.Primarily Act 2 of each zone is different is so many ways that it becomes a new zone all by itself.

Conclusion: This is one of the best games I ever played and will play again many years from now.The more "There are more retro levels that new" isn't really a flaw in my opinion.All that matters is that you had fun and yes, I had great fun.
    P.S If you have a problem with the retro zones overshadowing the new ones then you can play Fan games that even rival Sonic Mania. "Sonic before the Sequel" and "Sonic after the Sequel" are games that you can try that have almost 100% originality and great level design.
  15. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a brilliant display of the franchises best and provides great potential for the future of the series. Its visual style is brilliant and nails the Sega Saturn aesthetic, this can also be said about its soundtrack which I expect nothing less from Tee Lopes. The gameplay feels like a natural progression from Sonic 3K and levels are more open and detailed then ever.

The only

The only issue i find with Mania is the reuse of zones that take up sixty percent of the zones in the game. However this issue is small as Mania adds twists to the level in the second act of the reused zones, this still leaves the first act though which I feel could have been rectified by making brand new zones altogether.

Regardless I still find Mania a complete joy and cant wait for a possible sequel that solves this small issue. But until then go ahead and buy this game this is a 90's Platformers paradise that you just cant miss.
  16. Nov 6, 2017
    It is great to have a sonic game that is not insane plot and just simple platformer fun which is what originally made the series what it is. Happy to see it like it was
  17. Nov 8, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a pure masterpiece that has been brought to us. Sonic Mania combines everything great about the classics while bringing its own creative spin on it, with improved physics, visuals, and even music. Sonic Mania proves to show the classics can still be in style. Mania's gameplay is a blast, with Christian Whiteheads perfectly made physics and amazing level design Mania is trulySonic Mania is a pure masterpiece that has been brought to us. Sonic Mania combines everything great about the classics while bringing its own creative spin on it, with improved physics, visuals, and even music. Sonic Mania proves to show the classics can still be in style. Mania's gameplay is a blast, with Christian Whiteheads perfectly made physics and amazing level design Mania is truly a wonder to behold. Sonic Mania's inclusion of tails and knuckles enhances this experience and makes each and every level a new experience, which in turn makes the replay ability amazing. Sonic Mania has minor flaws however the positive is completely outclassed by negative, you will find yourself having a blast from the stages, to music, to visuals, to gameplay, Mania proves sonic still has a lot of fire in him ready to be pushed out. Expand
  18. Nov 8, 2017
    Probably the best Sonic game out there.

Excellent level design, excellent music. Almost perfect, but a bit too much reliance on past Sonic games, and the bonus stages are not that much fun - would have been better to have bonus stages like in Sonic 3 etc, that award items. Online co-op play would have been great.

Still, one of the best platformers you can buy.
  19. Oct 27, 2017
    A perfect way to keep the Sonic series alive and well. Gives you everything that the sonic in the 90's did, and even more, as you can play as Tails, Sonic, and Knuckles, something you couldn't do in the first game.
  20. Oct 24, 2017
    O jogo decidiu apostar no estilo de seus clássicos, como uma jogabilidade simples e sprites, o game conta com uma série nova de sprites e desafios levando aos fãs antigos a diversão e chamando o novo público dos jogos.
  21. Nov 5, 2017
    An excellent game, full of a good mix of nostalgia and new. However, multiple bugs and sudden difficulty spikes can make an already challenging game almost unplayable at some points.
  22. Nov 11, 2017
    Good game but Sonic 3&Knuckles was better in my opinion. i am a bit bias though because Knuckles is my favorite character and he just isn't nearly as fun to play as in mania in my opinion.
  23. Nov 14, 2017
    This classic sonic game is the best classic sonic game by far! The graphics are very awesome! Definitely brings back the classic sonic feeling. Thank you, SEGA for making this game a reality!
  24. Dec 12, 2017
    Amazing sonic game that we been waiting for years. best classic sonic game, amazing music, fun gameplay and bosses.
    It's one of the best sonic games ever.
  25. Jan 11, 2018
    Sonic Mania is by far the best Sonic game out there. When you get ahold of this game you'll be in heaven, great game great graphics, and just filled with nostalgia.
  26. May 30, 2019
    Pretty damn awesome that's all I can say because no other words can do this game justice
  27. Aug 15, 2017
    This game is everything you loved about the original Sonic games mixed with refreshing new gameplay. It's a perfect blend of classic sonic and new elements. It never feels too challenging or too difficult since you always have the ability to start your game at the most recent level. The new levels are super fun and look amazing. Well done Sega
  28. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania should be praised not only for how awesome this game is but the context this project came out to existence. Sonic Mania is a product of love, a collaboration of long time sonic fans and SEGA. From Tyson Hesse animation to Tee Lopes soundtrack passing by Hyper Potion music for the trailers we can feel the passion this game tries to convey. Pagodawest, Headcanon and ChristianSonic Mania should be praised not only for how awesome this game is but the context this project came out to existence. Sonic Mania is a product of love, a collaboration of long time sonic fans and SEGA. From Tyson Hesse animation to Tee Lopes soundtrack passing by Hyper Potion music for the trailers we can feel the passion this game tries to convey. Pagodawest, Headcanon and Christian whitehead did an amazing job of balancing the gameplay and gathering the memorable stages, bosses, gimmicks that we all loved in the 16 bit sonic era and put their own signature names on it.

Sonic Mania is not only a celebration for Sonic fans but also to SEGA fans. This game is filled with Easter eggs and homages to what made SEGA beloved. Sonic Mania should be celebrated by all gamers not only because it's a very good game but also because it opens a new chapter in the gaming industry that companies like Valve used to practice and companies like Nintendo should be more lenient about (AM2R).
  29. Aug 15, 2017
    I don't need Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball, I literally creamed myself over this game. Now I need to hot glue the collector's edition Sonic figurine.
  30. Aug 15, 2017
  31. Aug 15, 2017
    Fantastic game. Controls feel almost exactly like Genesis I don't understand why it took Sega so long to make this. A great blend of old and new. Thank you Taxman and Stealth.
  32. Aug 15, 2017
    This is a great game which captures everything that made Sonic games great during the 16-bits era. Great music, graphics, new twists on old zones, great zones and gameplay. If you're going to play this game, make sure to pay attention to its great details, This was made by fans to fans.
  33. Aug 15, 2017
    The best Sonic game in years. Sonic Mania manages to be new & fresh, and old & nostalgic at the same time. It perfectly captures what the Sonic games were in 20 years ago, making a perfect celebration of past and future. The remixed stages are absolutely incredible, and the new levels are surprising at the same time. Both of them have great level design. It's also the hardest 2D Sonic GameThe best Sonic game in years. Sonic Mania manages to be new & fresh, and old & nostalgic at the same time. It perfectly captures what the Sonic games were in 20 years ago, making a perfect celebration of past and future. The remixed stages are absolutely incredible, and the new levels are surprising at the same time. Both of them have great level design. It's also the hardest 2D Sonic Game yet, and "difficulty" is something we didn't have in the Sonic Franchise for a long, long time. Of course, I can't forget about the beautiful soundtrack and sound effects. You should totally buy Sonic Mania right now. Expand
  34. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania is not only an ambitious and fantastic game made my passionate fans but this exemplifies the pinnacle of 2D fast-action-packed and platforming in blistering speeds. I highly recommend non-sonic fans to buy this game. Don't worry, no disappointed will be delivered.
    The musical score is absolutely god-tier. I cannot give enough praise about how stellar Sonic Mania is in words, but BEST SONIC GAME IN YEARS!
  35. Aug 17, 2017
    The game is simply what we have been expecting for years. Great tribute to the originals and arguably the best Sonic game in the series. I wished it had a non-pixelation mode though... i don't remember the originals to be pixelated on my crt tv.
  36. Aug 15, 2017
    The light of day for this franchise has finally came after all these years being treated by two failures, many mixed bags, and a few goods this far. With Sonic Mania, newcomers and veterans alike are now to experience the classic days where it was just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters and those three plus Eggman/Robotnik as the only main characters after more than twentyThe light of day for this franchise has finally came after all these years being treated by two failures, many mixed bags, and a few goods this far. With Sonic Mania, newcomers and veterans alike are now to experience the classic days where it was just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters and those three plus Eggman/Robotnik as the only main characters after more than twenty years of never receiving a classical 2D installment. This game combines elements seen in Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic CD, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles to give us the ultimate surprise no one was expecting to see since the release of Sonic & Knuckles. It's always great to see a franchise go back to their roots rather than trying a new way to impress their fans. Expand
  37. Aug 15, 2017
    This is the Sonic game i heve been waiting for for over 20 years, and the proof that sometimes devs shouldn't mess with a winning formula.

The gameplay is perfect, the visuals beautiful (love the mix between classic and new zones) and the sound brings fans many good memories. My only complain is the timer. Sure, it was always there, but the leves are so bigger that i would love to be

My only complain is the timer. Sure, it was always there, but the leves are so bigger that i would love to be able to explore ever corner and secret at my pace.

Anyway, brilliant 2d platformer and easily the best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles 10/10.
  38. Aug 15, 2017
    Despite the occasional frustration of a rare glitch or hard level, Sonic Mania had me on a roller-coaster of nostalgia and fun in every level. They made new levels that have become instant favorites and took old levels and made them feel completely new. If it wasn't for the music I would not have recognized most of the returning levels. Sonic Mania is easily in my top 5 games of thisDespite the occasional frustration of a rare glitch or hard level, Sonic Mania had me on a roller-coaster of nostalgia and fun in every level. They made new levels that have become instant favorites and took old levels and made them feel completely new. If it wasn't for the music I would not have recognized most of the returning levels. Sonic Mania is easily in my top 5 games of this year so far. Expand
  39. Aug 15, 2017
    What a bargain for under £20. This game is the true Sonic 4 and is easily one of the best Sonic games ever made. Multiple Save files and multiple characters, Lots of stages(Some remixed, some completely new) This game takes everything that made the original Sonic games great and improved upon it further, This is one not to be missed for true Sonic fans, and if you've never played a SonicWhat a bargain for under £20. This game is the true Sonic 4 and is easily one of the best Sonic games ever made. Multiple Save files and multiple characters, Lots of stages(Some remixed, some completely new) This game takes everything that made the original Sonic games great and improved upon it further, This is one not to be missed for true Sonic fans, and if you've never played a Sonic game before then this a great place to start. Highly recommended! Expand
  40. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania é tudo o que esperamos que um revival de clássicos seja. Os gráficos foram incrivelmente bem retrabalhados; as animações são impressionantes; level design excitante; excelentes melhorias nos estágios clássicos, ao ponto de torná-los praticamente estágios inéditos; e uma excelente trilha sonora. Parabéns aos envolvidos.
  41. Aug 16, 2017
    Uno de los mejores sonic en mucho tiempo, una calidad visual increíble para lo que pretende ser, Sega el equipo detrás de sonic mania logro traer de vuelta la niñez de muchos segeros!
  42. Aug 15, 2017
    It is funny that there are some negative User Scores with some **** Context and are just Spam Posts to harm the great deserved Score the Game has!
    Sonic Mania is just perfect and plays incredible!

Haters gonna Hate btw. Haters can *** go fast away! ;)
  43. Aug 17, 2017
    I have to say growing up playing Sonic in the early 90's this game is a masterpiece and has giving me such good vibes playing it. I really hope they would make Sonic Mania 2 someday :)
  44. Aug 15, 2017
    This is easily the best 2d-sonic game in the last 20 years! Amazing game. Big attention to detail. A shower of pure nostalgia both in the graphics and in the soundtrack. A must buy for fans of Sonic in the 90´s
  45. Aug 27, 2017
    Sonic Mania plays like the originals, and has the same level of difficulty. But it truly is a must have for all Sonic fans everywhere, especially those of us who grew up playing those types of games.
  46. Aug 17, 2017
    Sonic Mania feels different from the start screen. There’s no guitar-driven pop punk music, heavily-accented voice overs or cringy one-liners. Instead, a buzz of electricity flashes on screen and the game’s logo bursts into view as Sonic turns to face the camera, waggling his finger and smiling. There’s colour, vibrancy and excitement. It’s a fitting introduction.

This is a love letter

This is a love letter to fans, crafted by indie developers who have a passion for early Sonic the Hedgehog games. Each stage, menu screen and soundtrack is filled with detail, polish and professionalism. Things feel tight and concise. Sonic moves just as he should and offers a new spin dash move that keeps the pace up. Special stages are enjoyable. Each zone is unique and vast. There’s collectables, time trial modes and additional content for Knuckles and Tails. The new locations are a welcome addition to those before them and enemy designs are well balanced.

Just like the source material deaths can be sudden and lives have genuine consequences. While some situations can feel somewhat cheap and aggravating – a death from a sudden crushing between two platforms, for example - these are too few and far between to damage the game’s replay value, and are more often a consequence of bad play rather than design. These minor difficulty spikes and pitfalls aside, the game feels challenging in a genuine, rewarding way, encouraging exploration and repeated plays.

Here’s the bottom line: Sonic Mania excels in every department. It does away with twenty years of guns, voice acting and missteps, providing old-school fans the experience they’ve been wanting for decades. The development team has managed to recapture the magic of those early games and build upon them, expanding their ideas without compromise or forcing needless gimmicks. This is pure, retro Sonic the Hedgehog; no filler, no clumsiness, just thrilling gameplay and quality content.
  47. Aug 20, 2017
    AMAZINGLY FUN GAME! As a long time Sonic fan since the Genesis days (Sonic 2 was my first Sonic game) I can say with confidence that this is a true return to the classic era of Sonic.

Sonic Mania boasts many levels that rivals Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Tails and Knuckles return as playable characters for their own version of the main adventure with different playstyles. Sonica Mania is a

Sonica Mania is a love letter to classic Sonic fans with re-imaginings of classic stages boasting new and unique gameplay as well as new stages.

The music is so amazing with remixes of classic themes that I'm sure fans of Sonic as well as fans of video games will appreciate (Mirage Saloon Act 2 is amazing!).

Sonic Mania is packed with content as well! Not only does playing different characters offer different styles of gameplay, but they also offer their own unique challenges as well as routes in stages. Earning enough medals through the Blue Sphere bonus stages also unlock new moves for Sonic such as the Insta Shield from Sonic 3 as well as unique modes.

This game is filed with surprises. I felt like I was really playing a true sequel to the Genesis games. I really hope Sega continues to work with Christian Whitehead for future classic Sonic games!
  48. Aug 15, 2017
    So I don't write reviews, or go out of my way to write one, but this game deserves it. It has everything from the sonic games I remember growing up with on the genesis, but with extra levels, power-ups, environmental platforming, 1080p resolution, widescreen, 60 fps, tons of hidden features, and amazing boss battles. Best twenty dollars I have ever spent on a video game.
  49. Aug 17, 2017
    Sonic mania is great, their levels are very colorful and entertaining, the classic levels have enough changes that make them feel they are new, but still do not lose their essence to the originals. The very enjoyable soundtrack, sonic mania is a game with much fan service that fans of SEGA can recognize. With this game sonic returns to its roots and is recommended to all fans of Sonic,Sonic mania is great, their levels are very colorful and entertaining, the classic levels have enough changes that make them feel they are new, but still do not lose their essence to the originals. The very enjoyable soundtrack, sonic mania is a game with much fan service that fans of SEGA can recognize. With this game sonic returns to its roots and is recommended to all fans of Sonic, SEGA, lovers of 16-bits, and anyone who enjoys the platform games. Expand
  50. Aug 20, 2017
    The game is simply what have been we expecting for years. Great tribute to the originals and arguably the best Sonic game in the series. I wished it had a non-pixelation mode though... i don't remember the originals to be pixelated on my crt tv.
  51. Aug 15, 2017
    Finally! This is the game that captures the peerless 2D gameplay and charm of the originals whilst also giving us plenty of new ideas and surprises. In short it's the Sonic game fans been waiting over 20 years for. As for everyone else, well if you're into 2D platformers you'd be crazy to overlook this and if you've never played Sonic before this is a great place to start!
  52. Aug 15, 2017
    I was a big fan of Sonic 2 back in the day, didnt really care much for any other games in this series, I guess 3 was ok and sonic adventure wasnt my jam but Finally we have a sonic game that surpasses Sonic 2.. This is the best Sonic game ever made. period.
  53. Aug 17, 2017
    Sin duda Sonic Mania se posiciona dentro de mis favoritos de la saga, junto al primer Sonic, el 2, el 3 y el CD. Es puro amor clásico. Tiene un arte carismático, una música adecuada, un control perfecto y el diseño de niveles es muy variado, rápido y con una amplia posibilidad de exploración, sin ser esto algo obligado ni tampoco tedioso. Incluso, el ritmo en el que encuentras los bonusSin duda Sonic Mania se posiciona dentro de mis favoritos de la saga, junto al primer Sonic, el 2, el 3 y el CD. Es puro amor clásico. Tiene un arte carismático, una música adecuada, un control perfecto y el diseño de niveles es muy variado, rápido y con una amplia posibilidad de exploración, sin ser esto algo obligado ni tampoco tedioso. Incluso, el ritmo en el que encuentras los bonus para conseguir las esmeraldas o las medallas no interrumpe el flujo del juego, pues hay muchas oportunidades para lograrlo y se siente casi natural. Y si no lo logras en la primera partida, las opciones rejugables te lo facilitarán. Me agradó que la dificultad de los bonus fuese elevada; hay algunos del demonio. No sé qué más decir: que este es el juego 2D de Sonic que había estado esperando desde hace mucho. Se ganó mi corazón con todos los guiños que tiene a la saga clásica. Muy buen plataformas! :) Expand
  54. Aug 15, 2017
    Lo quiero definir en un nombre, es el verdadero "Sonic 4".
    Juego totalmente recomendable para todos los públicos, es frenético, rápido, divertido, rejugable, música increíble... todos los adjetivos positivos que os podáis imaginar valdrían para este Sonic Mania.
    Lo tengo para PS4, pero para portátil tiene que ser todavía mas espectacular, una pena que no salga para PS VITA. Si no lo
    Lo quiero definir en un nombre, es el verdadero "Sonic 4".
    Si no lo tienes, compralo ya.
  55. Aug 17, 2017
    For most Kids of the 80's and 90's, Sonic died after sonic 3. Sadly his corpse has been paraded around by weaboos and losers for the past 20 years. Sonic had become a cringe worthy character associated with virgins and potential school shooters.

The games since the original 3 (apart from Sonic adventure 1 and 2 on Dreamcast) have been some of the worst games ever made, and deserve a similar fate to ET on Atari. While Nintendo's characters thrived, sadly the beloved 90's mascot outstayed his welcome and was shunned from the minds of the original fans.

Now at 36 years old I noticed an add for a new Sonic game. It looked like the originals, no SJW beta Sonic in sight, no sign of Chris Chan like losers wanking over Amy. Could it be they have actually created a game for us oldies who actually bought the original in 1991?

Well the answer is yes!

So thank you for restoring the original greatness so we can forget about the last 20 yrs of shame!
  56. Aug 16, 2017
    A fantastic game that combines themes and mechanics from the originals with tons of fresh new ideas

Cons:
    They made Hydrocity annoying
    Only 4 new zones, and a couple of them are meh/annoying
    Green Hill Zone, again (Give us Angel Island, or at least give it an Emerald Hill skin)

Pros:
    Everything else
  57. Aug 15, 2017
    I think I can safely say that this is among the best Sonic games ever conceived. Tight controls, incredible graphics, and while there is a bit of a difficulty spike later in the game, it doesn't take anything away from this outstanding game. Bar none, the best Sonic game since Generations.
  58. Aug 18, 2017
    This game is a reminder that Sonic and Mario were once treated as equal franchises. Sonic Mania is the best Sonic game that has ever been made, a love letter to the classic games and an excellent step forward. Old stages are seen in a brand new way and completely new, original stages stand among or above the most fondly remembered classics.

If you are a fan of Sonic, platforming or fun

If you are a fan of Sonic, platforming or fun this game is for you.
  59. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania is definitely a blast-from-the-past; but in a good way. Sonic handles exactly how he did 25 years ago! This game is not only for a long time Sonic fans, but also to people who are new to Sonic as well. This game perfects everything that it introduces: The new drop dash, new stages, new music remixes, new bosses, cool new gimmicks, new bonus stages, and most of all...KNUCKLES!Sonic Mania is definitely a blast-from-the-past; but in a good way. Sonic handles exactly how he did 25 years ago! This game is not only for a long time Sonic fans, but also to people who are new to Sonic as well. This game perfects everything that it introduces: The new drop dash, new stages, new music remixes, new bosses, cool new gimmicks, new bonus stages, and most of all...KNUCKLES! This game is by far the best 2D sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and is definitely worth a look at; Sonic fan or not. So, this game is highly recommended overall, and I hope to see Sega make more of these type of classic games hopefully in the near future. (And making a whole new fresh experience by making all of the game's levels brand new ones!) Expand
  60. Aug 19, 2017
    Sonic mania is an absoloutely amazing. Now, let me get this straight. This game is not a nostalgia trip. You do not need to be a sonic fan rock enjoy this. I do botch get people in reality; there’s nothing confusing about this game. A few cutscenes that are self-explanatory, and your off into the game. You don not need to be a hardcore fan to understand it. The gameplay is amazing; it isSonic mania is an absoloutely amazing. Now, let me get this straight. This game is not a nostalgia trip. You do not need to be a sonic fan rock enjoy this. I do botch get people in reality; there’s nothing confusing about this game. A few cutscenes that are self-explanatory, and your off into the game. You don not need to be a hardcore fan to understand it. The gameplay is amazing; it is tight, smooth, and the momentum ou can really feel it is there. The people who say the gameplay is “slippery” are simply mediocre and either like to bash on the series, or they don’t have a brain big enough to realize you can focus at your own pace in the game. This is how sonic mania works just like the classics; the better you are, the faster you can go. You can play the game at any pace you want. Nobody tells you to go very fast, or very slow. The music is amazing. So are the bosses. Unlike previous titles, it is just eggman in a new machine doing the same patterns. However, the bosses here are extraordinary. They are unpredictable, challenging, and fun. There are also a lot of secrets in this game, which will not be specified just so the spoiler box doesn’t have to be checked. The replay ability in this game is amazing. Even if you are a new sonic fan, this game is amazing. It is probably arguably the best game of all time. Expand
  61. Aug 19, 2017
    Just great! Its the true sonic 4 we've been waiting for so many years! I dont like giving 10 to games but this one deserve! Its a perfect game for real sonic fans
  62. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania is undoubtedly the true successor of the Sonic classic's spirit, excellent design on the stages, beautiful glorious pixel, familiar control for Sonic and the gang, new bosses, multi-tier platform, made this game a nostalgic joy for all those who grew up with Sonic and the gang.

This game is still a SONIC game, mind you, so it will not be easy. It will be full of challenges and race against time (and water), but don't be taken aback, because long dedicated fans will surely have no problem with it and instead embrace it more.

Love you Sonic, and thank you Sega for letting the fans made the game.

So now let us RUN AMOK with Sonic mania!!!
  63. Aug 16, 2017
    A great way to make a new Sonic game with the old Sonic gameplay. Let me go ahead and get the very few negatives out of the way. One thing is, while it has a save system and you do not have to start at the very beginning when you lose all your lives, it does still follow the Sonic 3 & Knuckles formula where you have to start over the whole zone, rather than just the act if you lose allA great way to make a new Sonic game with the old Sonic gameplay. Let me go ahead and get the very few negatives out of the way. One thing is, while it has a save system and you do not have to start at the very beginning when you lose all your lives, it does still follow the Sonic 3 & Knuckles formula where you have to start over the whole zone, rather than just the act if you lose all your lives. Which can feel a bit tedious. Another thing is...actually, that was it. The game otherwise is great. The gameplay, the music, the graphics, the drop dash Sonic has, all that stuff is great. And I can honestly say that this game has the best special stages in the history of Sonic games (the emerald challenges, I mean). This is definitely worth the $20 price tag! Expand
  64. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic fans have a lot to be happy about with the Sonic Mania as it hits all of the right notes for retro and new gamers alike.

Gameplay: Controls are incredibly tight, to the extent that missteps are pretty much your fault and you recognize it. Platforming is smooth and speed feels fast without chaotic which given the nature of Sonic is incredibly helpful. To further this, all of the

Gameplay:
    To further this, all of the original moves are back and the modern moves have been taken away. While this might feel like a step down for newer fans of Sonic, it will become natural as the game does not feel the need to overwhelm you with too many move sets.
    When playing the most difficult decision you will have to make is which character you use and less about what move to use.

Difficulty:
    This is why the game does not get a perfect 10 and it is because Sonic Mania is a love letter to retro gamers and was developed by fans of original Sonic. This also means that the game can have a (sometimes literally) crushing learning curve as you get used to threading the needle for very specific jumps. New gamers might be inclined to give up especially when making it to more challenging levels from older games.

Visuals and music:
    Love letter still is the perfect way to encompass what this game is from the level design to the music, everything has a specific purpose.
    Level textures pop extremely well and combine the old with the new so well that I was actually grateful when I died sometimes as it gave me a chance to look at the gorgeous backgrounds and enemies closer.
    The music is also phenomenal as everything has received a modern overhaul without stripping it of its soul. From hearing the extra life song play to having a panic attack as Sonic struggles to hold his breath, the game has done an excellent job bringing Sonic back to form.
    Added bonus, you have the option to change the TV resolution to old CRT televisions (fuzzyness and all) where all you need to really go retro is grab some soda-licious, your favourite pop and enjoy.

Overall:

Is Sonic Mania a perfect game? no
    But it is damn close and the developers should be extremely proud with bringing a game that was in a rut for almost 20 years back into shape and relevant.
    The game does not give you any quarter and does not feel like it is just punishing you for fun (I'm looking at you Dark Souls). Completing complex stage puzzles or finishing bonus mini-games to unlock either extras or Chaos Emeralds is great.
    While new players might be frustrated with the learning curve, retro gamers will find plenty to love and unlock with no-save mode, time attack mode, and leaderboards.
  65. Aug 16, 2017
    great game, this being my first sonic game i had no expectations but i love it. the only issue is that its hard for a new player to get into because if you die you go to the begining of the area and can take up to 20 minutes to get back
  66. Aug 15, 2017
    This game is a Masterpiece. Awesome level design, the music is perfect, etc! Everybody should play this amazing game. This is the best sonic game in years!
  67. Aug 15, 2017
    This game is amazing. It has old and new levels, and sure the old levels outnumber the new ones, but they have been changed so much to the point where it looks like a remix. The soundtrack is amazing, and you can find joy among this game from the mechanics too which are spot-on! It's story is on par with Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but everything else is awesome.

To Christian Whitehead,

To Christian Whitehead, Stealth and team, I'm giving this game a 10 out of 10. You deserve it.
  68. Aug 15, 2017
    This Really Brought me back to Being 8 and Playing Sonic for the first time on the MegaDrive. Never Liked any of the 3D Sonic Titles, But this Rocks. Loved the New Bits added to Classic Stages and new Bosses. The Chemical Plant Zone Music from Sonic 2 Sounds as good now as it did all those Years Ago
  69. Aug 15, 2017
    If you liked the classic Sonic games this is your wet dream. The background art, the gameplay, the bosses, the stages; every thing is just perfect and you can almost TASTE the love the creators put into this. Definatly a 10 in my book.
  70. Aug 16, 2017
    The PERFECT Sonic game. I haven't been this excited about a Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles, and after playing it I certainly wasn't disappointed. This was clearly made by people who played the game as kids. It's everything we ever wanted in a Sonic title. My niece also loves the old titles so she is mega excited for this. Also, I'd like to add that your choice of composers (HyperThe PERFECT Sonic game. I haven't been this excited about a Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles, and after playing it I certainly wasn't disappointed. This was clearly made by people who played the game as kids. It's everything we ever wanted in a Sonic title. My niece also loves the old titles so she is mega excited for this. Also, I'd like to add that your choice of composers (Hyper Potion) was PERFECT and brings so much energy to the game. Thank you for making this masterpiece. :') Expand
  71. Aug 17, 2017
    Finally, a Sonic game that says F YOU to all of his naysayers, and to all the people that don't understand retro gaming. This is what you've been missing out on Call of Duty players -- a game that actually requires your brain. Try not to get too frustrated that it doesn't hold your hand.
  72. Aug 17, 2017
    I've already spent about 30 hours on the game (PS4), worked hard to get all the trophies (no plat, really? :c), it was worth it, definitely worth its price, congrats guys!
  73. Aug 15, 2017
    I haven't been interested in the Sonic shenanigans since the very first 16 Bit games.
    I never felt the need to position myself in any one camp, I liked Mario, I liked Sonic. I always found it weird that many kind of "decide" for their plattformer hero of choice and than don't bother even look at the "rival". They're both great, they're totally different in how they approach the genre but that is exactly what makes it fun! Diversity! I stopped playing 3D Sonic games after Adventures (which I found okay, but it hasn't aged well, imho, and SA2 wasn't really my cup of tea). I, like most, liked Generations, but everething else (-and you are not excluded, Sonic 4-) didn't work for me AT ALL. I planned on getting Mania and playing a couple of rounds for old times sake, but... F*ck. I didn't expect it to be that good. It basically looks like a forgotten Genesis / Mega Drive Sonic game. With great production value, fantastic soundtrack and man... I forgot how much fun 2D-Sonic was. I ended up cancelling everything i had planned and just played Mania. I just finished it and really look forward to getting as much of the unlockables as I can. I think lots of folks feel that this is their Sonic-fans wet dream. I Just think, if this came out of nowhere today, without there having been anything like Sonic games, it would just be as fun. It's just a great concept: Speedy passages interchanging with slower plattforming parts in visually and accoustically catchy environments. It's done very well here. It's really satisfying, controls are tight, visuals are 16-bittish-crisp and the music is super melodic.
    My only gripe is (-if you can actually call it that-) the inclusion of the Blue Sphere bonus stages. I really, really suck at them. Hard. It's just frustrating. I'm better at the Ufo-sections, though, so that helps.
    I didn't find anything else to complain about. I would gladly take another of these in a year or two. Maybe with a bit less pixely throwback-type graphics, a bit more modernized in visuals and feel. But even if not - hey! It's a metric ton load of fun! Biggest surprise for me this year! Get it!
  74. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic was always good. Ok maybe not. But it was a big part of my childhood. The last Sonic game i loved was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And Sonic Mania is exactly the Sonic game i've always wanted. Perfect level design, perfect soundtrack, the perfect Sonic game, 10/10.
  75. Aug 31, 2017
    Great Sonic game. This is how a 2d Sonic game should look like. I liked the retro graphics, the special stages, the new zones, the level design, new ideas, the intro animation and to play as Sonic & Tails.

What I don't like: Noticeable missing transitions between some zones. There are only four new zones, especially noticable in the last part of the game and there is one factory zone to many in my opinion. The ending animation is disappointing compared to the intro.
  76. Aug 21, 2017
    This is basically a super polished version of the genesis games, filled with remixed returning context and original ideas. Mechanics are largely the same with a few minor changes and one game changing move for sonic. If you are a fan of the genesis games, you will fall in love with this game quickly. If you are a first time Sonic player, this is the definitive way to jump in and get started.
  77. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania IS Sonic 4. This game is everything fans of the original sonic games could possibly ask for. It is a sonic game crafted by fans, for fans with so much passion and creativity you'll definitely play it more than a few times. Every level, every piece of music and every sprite animation is absolutely perfect and fills you with nostalgia. with tons of new mechanics, It's just asSonic Mania IS Sonic 4. This game is everything fans of the original sonic games could possibly ask for. It is a sonic game crafted by fans, for fans with so much passion and creativity you'll definitely play it more than a few times. Every level, every piece of music and every sprite animation is absolutely perfect and fills you with nostalgia. with tons of new mechanics, It's just as challenging (if not more) than the originals with tons of ways to play and a bunch of unlockables for those secret/achievement hunter types.

THIS IS HOW YOU REVIVE A FRANCHISE.
  78. Aug 16, 2017
    Sonic Mania está simplesmente soberbo, te faz sorrir e chorar de emoção revivendo nossa infância.
    O jogo simplesmente te deixa muito ocupado devido a um level design poderoso com muitas rotas diferentes trazendo um infinidade de coisas a serem descobertas.
    O jogo é a esperança para que não somente esta, mas várias das incríveis franquias da Sega tenha uma nova chance de brilhar. Em meio a um mundo onde gráficos são super valorizados e a diversão acaba ficando de lado, Sonic Mania traz toda a ação e aventura em uma qualidade de se colocar um sorriso no rosto de até mesmo quem não nasceu naquela época.
    Fico pensando se o Sega Saturn tivesse nascido com esse jogo e junto naquela época a Sega tivesse aceitado a proposta da Sony de terem lançado um console juntas...que caminho o mundo dos jogos teria tomado?
    Sonic Mania te faz repensar na era de ouro da empresa, e nos faz torcer para que seu nome volte a brilhar nos mais altos spotlights.
    Quantos jogos de aventura que já joguei e não me lembro de uma única musica sequer, em Sonic Mania todas são marcantes e bem compostas, vários remixes e arranjos completam as que já eram de outros jogos do ouriço.
    Esse jogo simplesmente está como Sonic já foi em sua melhor forma, rápido, desafiador, exigindo muito habilidade e agilidade, para os mais experientes, você pode chegar a um nível bem mais alto do que os de seus amigos não tão dedicados assim, fazendo com que você consiga atravessar como um raio de luz através dos tantos estágios do jogo.
    Esperamos que a Sega continue aceitando opiniões de pessoas tão apaixonadas assim como o criador deste jogo para que novas velhas franquias possam estar por aí e continuar tocando nossos corações.
    Obrigado Sega, obrigado Christian Whitehead por nos fazer sonhar novamente e não perder o gostinho de nossas infâncias.
  79. Nov 10, 2017
    To put it simply, this is the best Sonic game of all time (thus far).

The game-play mechanics feel perfect, just as they did on the Mega Drive / Genesis titles. The graphics are retro looking while being a smooth 60fps. The game controls much like it did in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, for all characters, with the exception of the new drop-dash maneuver for Sonic. The level design is
    To put it simply, this is the best Sonic game of all time (thus far).

The level design is simply great. There are less enemies than in older Sonic games but this has meant that you can build more momentum leading to greater speed, which to me, is a reasonable trade-off.

The game has a lot of replayability; I've played this game through 9 times now and still want to go back for more!

If there is not a sequel, then there is grave misjustice in the world!
  80. Aug 16, 2017
    This is the perfect representation of 2D sonic. The remixed stages are kept interesting with new twists and turns, and the totally new stages stand shoulder to shoulder with any stage from the 1990s. Hopefully the next installment will contain a greater proportion of original stages!
  81. Aug 25, 2017
    Unbelievable. They outdid Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Fans actually made a better game than Sonic Team ever did. What are you doing reading user reviews? Go buy this game.
  82. Aug 16, 2017
    The perfect storm of frustration and excitement.
    This is Sonic, the sonic I used to play on the Genesis and the Game Gear.
    Difficult and unforgiving, tough and challenging, exactly how I remember the Sonic franchise from the days of Genesis past. There is no hand holding here, this is how games should be. They should challenge you and leave you with a sense of accomplishment in the end.
    The perfect storm of frustration and excitement.
    This is Sonic, the sonic I used to play on the Genesis and the Game Gear.
    This new addition to the original side scrolling mess that is Sonic is perfect.
    I had no idea I was going to enjoy this game as much as I am and generally I am not a fan of side scrollers, but this game delivers.
    Controls like the old sonic but with new challenges.
    Get it.
  83. Feb 2, 2020
    Ótimo joooj......,...............................................................................
  84. Aug 3, 2019
    Let me quickly answer the inevitable: when watching that 25th Anniversary event for “Sonic the Hedgehog” at Comic-Con in 2016, did I, a born-in 3D gamer merely watching (or, half-watching while playing “Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time”) to get a look at the next 3D “Sonic” title, really expect that the best thing to come from that event would be a game that was essentially an amalgamation ofLet me quickly answer the inevitable: when watching that 25th Anniversary event for “Sonic the Hedgehog” at Comic-Con in 2016, did I, a born-in 3D gamer merely watching (or, half-watching while playing “Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time”) to get a look at the next 3D “Sonic” title, really expect that the best thing to come from that event would be a game that was essentially an amalgamation of 2D-era “Sonic” stages re-done for a new generation? No way, man, I was all about that totally-not-abhorrent Totino’s Stuffed Nachos product placement (which, I…admittedly fell for because I tried the Stuffed Nachos and…I honestly liked them). But in all seriousness, I was so intrigued (and, to some degree, confused) by “Project Sonic 2017” (which later became “Sonic Forces,” of course) to the point that “Sonic Mania” kind of faded into the background for me. I’d honestly forgotten about it until it was confirmed for a Nintendo Switch release some time later at the Nintendo Switch Presentation in 2017. Little did I know at the time that I’d not only have more fun with “Sonic Mania” than “Sonic Forces,” but that I’d come to see “Sonic Mania” as one of the most rip-roaring, off-the-wall, and best Sonic games I’ve played.
    “Sonic Mania,” through and through, is a love-letter to the “Classic Era” of “Sonic the Hedgehog,” and even the tiniest details scream out “passion.” The visuals are absolutely breathtaking, the game is just bursting with vibrant colors and great attention to detail, and the overall art design is just a marvel to observe. The music, as is the case with many “Sonic” games, remains catchy, immediate, and all-around fantastic, and it’s great to see that the music feels fresh, while retaining the spirit of what made these original songs so iconic. And the gameplay is equally fantastic: the physics are refined, the speed and platforming are mostly great, and while the game does spend a good bit of its time kicking you in uncomfortable areas with its difficulty, it’s still so easy to become hypnotized by the game’s clever and inventive level design that serve to remind us why the 2D “Sonic” games were such compelling competitors to the “Super Mario Bros.” games back in the fourth generation of gaming.
    I will say there are a few things holding this game the smallest bit back: while it’s a loving re-creation of 2D “Sonic,” it does bring about several of the frustrations and annoyances from that era, which means the game still suffers from annoyances that stem from the “trial-and-error” style of gameplay, as well as the overly-frustrating bosses that almost seem to have “fake difficult” written somewhere on them. Also, maybe this is me making a mountain out of a molehill, but I can’t be the only one frustrated that, if you get a “Game Over” in Act 2 of a Zone, you’ll HAVE to play and beat Act 1 again, right? Sega, if you plan to make another game in this style, please remove that feature. I appreciate the commitment to faithfulness, but refinement is a nice thing, too.
    All things told, though, “Sonic Mania” is easily one of the best “Sonic” games that I’ve played in a while, and perhaps one of the best games in the series. It may be odd saying that about a game like this, but this is nearly everything a “Sonic” game should be, and while I’m not sure if Sega is going to continue to try their hand at new 2D “Sonic” experiences, I can definitely say “Sonic Mania” lays a great foundation for them if they plan to keep going with it.
    Final rating: 9 out of 10 “Awesome”
  85. Oct 6, 2017
    Delighted with this title. Really pulls you back to the experience of being a kid and sitting down to Sonice for the first time. Some of the levels can feel samey from time to time, but otherwise this is an excellent release. Would gladly buy Sonic Mania II if we ever get it!
  86. Dec 6, 2017
    Kick of nostalgia! This game brings me back 20 years to when i was 11 playing my genesis Sat mornings in my TMNT PJs. I loved Sonic 1-3, especially 3! SM does everything right and improves on the originals. Playing those first couple zones made me smile as I got to replay some of those levels i enjoyed so much as a kid. Not only did they bring back originals the devs added to them andKick of nostalgia! This game brings me back 20 years to when i was 11 playing my genesis Sat mornings in my TMNT PJs. I loved Sonic 1-3, especially 3! SM does everything right and improves on the originals. Playing those first couple zones made me smile as I got to replay some of those levels i enjoyed so much as a kid. Not only did they bring back originals the devs added to them and made their own. The music sets the mood and the game play is smoother then ever. Those new end level boss fights are epic and the mini boss fights are just a lot of fun! The mini games of collecting the blue orbs was just as hard as when I was a kid and they added some new ones that are innovative enough enjoy. Im looking forward to SM2, Sega is back! PS I bought the collectors edition that comes with the sonic statue, even though the plastic feels kind of cheap it looks pretty awesome! Expand
  87. Jun 1, 2018
    This is the best Sonic game of all time for many reasons, the level design, the gameplay, and music are just a couple. play this game now!!!
  88. Oct 14, 2017
    It's not perfection, but it's the closest thing to it.
    Mania nails the Sonic tone with an atmosphere that entices fans and newcomers. If you are a long time fan like me, there will be at least more than ONE stage that will make you feel amazed. If you are new, you are in for one intense ride. But, the game will probably be hard for you. Good luck, kids.
    Graphics: 9 (What I liked about
    It's not perfection, but it's the closest thing to it.

Graphics: 9 (What I liked about Mania as a retro revival, is that it didn't try to replicate the style exactly. There are smoother sprite animations, a new color palette and new surprises in the visuals that stand out. It's not like Megaman 9, where they decided to use the NES sprite for Megaman which is a step back in the evolution, but instead it progresses that style.)
    Story: 7 {SPOILERS} (While the story for Mania is very basic, it does bring up a lot of...plot holes. For example, where did the Phantom Ruby come from? Why is little planet vanishing again after Sonic CD? Did we rewrite Sonic CD? What timeline takes place in the bad future, is Mania the good future? Is CD in another timeline? Is Sonic 4 no longer canon? How long did Eggman have to build the Hardboiled heavies after Sonic & Knuckles? ...I hope these questions are answered. The endings are a bit anticlimactic as well.)
    Sound: 10. (Amazing.)
    Controls: 9. (From the minute I first played Mania, I could tell Sonic felt...faster but more controlled. If I were to describe it, the physics from Sonic 3 and Knuckles came with Sonic 2's speed and the drop-dash is very useful!)
    Content: 8. (You can collect blue spheres to unlock new modes and mini games! It's very nice. I just wish maybe you could unlock a concept art gallery like in Generations. I would have loved to see the behind the scenes production of this game. There's also debug mode, if that's your thing. Personally, I think Mods for PC really bring more depth to the experience but I did feel the lack of using Mania's Super peel out and Insta shield only in no save mode was a turn off. Lots of fun features but I wished there was a bit more. The stages are needless to say great, though I was mildly disappointed by Lava Reef Zone Act 1, Metallic Madness and Hydrocity. I felt the originals were better, despite them having the superior soundtrack. There's also a strange lack of transitions sometimes? I'm thinking the order was messed around last minute.)

Overall I recommend this game to the salty people in my freshman year of High school who thought I was weird for liking Sonic and his supposed ''rare'' set of games. **** you, you annoying ''PC MASTER RACE'' and League of Legends nerd. You know who you are. I'm glad this game is out so I can prove to you that Sonic was always good and this game proves it.

8.6/10.
  89. Sep 16, 2017
    The better version of Sonic 4! Except it's not Sonic 4...
    This game is the best Sonic game I've played! Other than Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, 3&K, Sonic Colours, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic's UGC, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Sonic Lost World.
  90. Dec 4, 2017
    (edit)Tiene una velocidad muy buena , unas fisicas de movimiento perfectas y los mapas decir que estan bien diseñados es poco, porque la nueva green hill tiene una variedad de posibilidades de jugar ,de lugares increiblemente diseñados ...cada rincon es muy diferente
    y otro como flying baterio me encanto , como combino elementos de flying battery original y de wing fortress de sonic 2.
  91. Nov 7, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a great Sonic game
    probably not better that most of the 3D games but pretty fun and awesome
    the redesigned stages are nothing like the past games and feel pretty new
    and the special stages are so fun and even better than the previous 2D sonic games
    ill give it a 10/10
  92. Aug 15, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a great game that is unfortunately hurt by some serious design issues.

We'll start with what's good: the level design in this game is fantastic, and just playing through the levels is by far the strongest point of the game. Everything flows smoothly and it's just an absolute joy to play. But there are are some flaws that the developers need to take into account, as

But there are are some flaws that the developers need to take into account, as they can easily ruin the entire experience for someone. The first of these is that some of the boss fights in the game (roughly half of them) are just poorly designed and a chore to fight. The worst offenders are either completely unintuitive or feature instant-death mechanics that completely ruin any sort of goodwill that I had.

The second biggest flaw is the fact that the game features an archaic and outdated lives system that unfairly punishes failure by having to redo sections of level that can take up to 10-15 minutes to complete. And while the levels themselves are still really good, it's not fun if you have to play them again due to cheap deaths, usually from the terrible bosses.

These two flaws really put a damper on the game, but at the end of the day I do still really enjoy playing it. When you handle a section well, it feels super satisfying to complete and it's an absolute joy to play these levels when you get good at them. If it's possible for the Mania team to fix these issues, then I could easily see this as being my favorite Sonic game.
  93. Sep 7, 2017
    better than sonic 1,2 and cd
    i love this game its soo good,the level desing is clever the visuals are beatiful and the music is amazing,i wish it had more original stages but the older ones feel new again
  94. Feb 13, 2018
    Yes, It's a sorry moment that Sonic Forces is a bad game at any cost, but at that time Sonic Mania is different.
    Sonic Mania is a, well, it's the 4th 16-bit genesis Sonic game to say the ĺeast. With intense level designs and great gameplay
  95. Oct 7, 2017
    Sonic Mania is the only Sonic game to immediately grab my attention and nearly always keep it. Despite having a few flaws, the developers of Sonic Mania made one of the most consistent experiences of this year. The creativity and originality in the visuals is awe-inspiring, and I loved how animated and beautiful each of the levels were. Every single one had an original premise, with theSonic Mania is the only Sonic game to immediately grab my attention and nearly always keep it. Despite having a few flaws, the developers of Sonic Mania made one of the most consistent experiences of this year. The creativity and originality in the visuals is awe-inspiring, and I loved how animated and beautiful each of the levels were. Every single one had an original premise, with the only one I didn’t like being Hydrocity. No path took advantage of the great pacing mechanics, it was either fast or slow, with very few moments that crossed over. The rest of the game, however, worked extremely well. Every path demonstrated how well the levels were designed, and the branching paths gave the game a great sense of exploration with the rewards being completely worthwhile. Despite the speed sometimes launching Sonic into hazards that were unavoidable, the game is a remarkably controlled and thought out. Through pacing the speed, the developers show immense confidence in how their levels are designed, and rightfully so. Every level has unique mechanics and feels distinct and memorable. Akin to the classic Sonic games, they force Sonic to go slow and build up to speed. They make the player earn the speed they gain, which is infinitely more rewarding than being forced to go a certain speed like in the more modern games. Each level feels connected to the last, as certain levels use neglected mechanics from previous levels, and the end result is a game that feels cohesive and very smooth in terms of difficulty. On the other hand, a few bosses were frustrating and there were a few moments that I felt were unfair, often due to the speed throwing Sonic into unavoidable obstacles, which contradicted the otherwise extremely well-paced difficulty curve and brilliant level layout of the game, however as said previously they didn't ever frustrate me to the point of wanting to stop playing. This is the first Sonic game that still makes me want to replay it, and I cannot wait to do so. I’m going to give Sonic Mania an 8 out of 10. Expand
  96. Dec 27, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Simply put, a masterpiece. Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and Pagoda West have nailed exactly what a classic sonic game should look and feel like. There are no bad stages in this game, from the 8 beautifully redone, nostalgia packed levels from Sonic 1,2,3, and Knuckles to the 4 breathtaking brand new levels. We have finally gotten a special stage that's actually fun along with the returning blue sphere special stages, but those are only for unlocking bonuses and secrets. The crowning jewel for this game is the music. Tee Lopes knocked it out of the park with his soundtrack, making the old level music such as Flying Battery feel exciting and fresh, and the new tracks for the new stages are simply perfect. When I got to Metallic Madness, I got the widest grin on my face. My favorite stage was back, with 2 perfect new pieces of music!

There is never a dull moment in this game. The game is clearly a passion project, and it's evident what Sonic can become if people who actually care about Sonic work on the games.
  97. Jan 20, 2018
    Sonic Mania é um jogo íncrivel, superou todas as minhas expectativas, e na minha opinião é o melhor Sonic 2D de todos os tempos e no TOP 5 da minha lista dos melhores jogos do Sonic. Sem dúvida nenhuma, Sonic Mania é um clássico indispensável ao lado de Sonic Colors e Sonic Generations.
  98. Dec 30, 2017
    Sonic Mania sees a much needed return to form. Similar to what sonic 4 tried and failed to achieve, Sonic Mania is great fun and does take you back to the old days while adding more things as to give it its own spin. It's clear the fans made this sonic game, but there is nothing wrong with that. My only real problem being the lack of new levels, as we get to see green hill zone for theSonic Mania sees a much needed return to form. Similar to what sonic 4 tried and failed to achieve, Sonic Mania is great fun and does take you back to the old days while adding more things as to give it its own spin. It's clear the fans made this sonic game, but there is nothing wrong with that. My only real problem being the lack of new levels, as we get to see green hill zone for the 5oth time and more. But the game does make an effort to keep the levels fresh by adding new elements Expand
  99. Feb 19, 2018
    The game was beautiful, well done and memorable, I'm very happy that a 2D game was able to surpass and be even better than a 3D game full of Hype.
    I was hoping that Sonic Forces would please me more, though, only Sonic Mania pleased me in 2017.
    The game is inspired by its level design, the songs are stupendous and the creative Bosses. The only negative thing about the game was the
    The only negative thing about the game was the little addition of new phases, but still the experience was how I first played Sonic again!
  100. Apr 18, 2018
    its everything you grew up playing just with better tricks and level designs..boss battles are great

Generally favorable reviews - based on 70 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Nov 16, 2017
    With this brilliant game Sonic at last reminded us why he was once a worthy rival for Mario. [11/2017, p.56]
  2. Sep 28, 2017
    It is surprising how well the developers understood the underlining reasons Sonic was so loved in the 16bit era. Gone are the autorun, the messy 3D levels and the horrible clown characters, gone is the linear cheap thrill design of the modern 3D games. In their place, we got excellent level design with hundreds of different routes, elegant design choices and supremely balanced gameplay which bring us one of the best Sonic games since Sonic & Knuckles. Pity Sega was too afraid to budget for modern graphics because they would have had a full priced, instant classic on their hands.
  3. Sep 28, 2017
    Sonic Mania is a wonderful celebration of what's made Sonic so great in the past while also striving to push it forward. This isn't to say it's perfect – it has some of the problems of the previous games as well – but it's such a perfect encapsulation of old Sonic games, it's impressive. If you've ever been curious about what makes these old games special, or if you're just interested in revisiting the series you loved as a kid, this is the best way to do it. It's the old and the new wrapped together in a way that makes both shine. I hope this team goes on to do more, and eventually break themselves away from needing to remix old levels and just make their own.