7.6

1. Sep 15, 2020
    Better than most BR games. However, it isn't good enough to steal fans from the top BR games, like apex or modern warfare. It has unique game mechanics, and is easy to pick up but hard to master. I really liked the artstyle, but the map was a just a big meh..Battle royale 101 typical map design. The gameplay felt skill based, and balances the thin line between mastering abilties, and gameBetter than most BR games. However, it isn't good enough to steal fans from the top BR games, like apex or modern warfare. It has unique game mechanics, and is easy to pick up but hard to master. I really liked the artstyle, but the map was a just a big meh..Battle royale 101 typical map design. The gameplay felt skill based, and balances the thin line between mastering abilties, and game mechanics very well.

Basically your a wizard in this game, instead of guns, you shoot fireballs, summon giant rocks, etc. The twist is that you can combine your spells into a bigger one.. if you have wind and fire as primary and secondary weapons, you can conjure a fire tornado...etc.

Other than that, yup this is another battle royale. Overall Gameplay is solid, but also very basic, but at the same is more skill based than it looks.

I just feel in the end, it is a solid BR, but it feels samey.. and there's nothing in this game that is better than the best BR games, imo. I feel like the majority will dabble in this for a while and then go back to the top tier BR games.

Note: I got 1st during my first game. played about 20, I feel like I've seen everything. Not sure If this game has any legs.

7.8/10
    Solid, better than most BR, but not good enough to dethrone the best.
  2. May 2, 2020
    While this game bolsters a wonderful array of engaging battle elements, I feel it lacks something that would set it apart from all the other BR games that have come before it. We’ve all seen 3-man-squad loot-n-shoot BRs. They’re commonplace. So far the battle mechanics, while are flashy and even pretty genius, are pretty sloppy and unreliable. There are many issues with attacks poorlyWhile this game bolsters a wonderful array of engaging battle elements, I feel it lacks something that would set it apart from all the other BR games that have come before it. We’ve all seen 3-man-squad loot-n-shoot BRs. They’re commonplace. So far the battle mechanics, while are flashy and even pretty genius, are pretty sloppy and unreliable. There are many issues with attacks poorly integrating with the landscape and buildings, often resulting in failure against anyone who has high ground. The over-all aesthetic of the game is quite amazing. Aside from fixing the semi-regular clashing between attacks and landscapes, if the game added a feature to fully customize their character (I.E. their basic body shape/color/size, their clothing and the color of said clothing) while maintaining the mix-and-match aspects of the afterglow, cloudburst, and artifacts. On top of this if they were to implement a variety of multiplayer game-modes and increase the overall player pool, I could see this game being an overwhelming success. To list a few ideas: 50v50 TDM (or 21v21 if they maintain the current lobby size), CTF both with squads and solo- maybe even a version with three teams instead of two. SPC or king of the hill. This last idea isn’t that original and is definitely feasible: Four man squares are dropped into isolated positions before loot is generated and must defeat a single mini-boss with just their primary gauntlet. Upon beating the boss, the rest of the world would open up to them for looting. The boss would, of course, drop loot as well. This would put an emphasis on primary mastery as well as team cooperation. Those who can down their bosses the fasted will have more time to loot without disruption. Defeating mini-bosses could also easily be integrated into the daily challenges as well as give ample opportunity for developing an actual story. If they wished to go even further- developing a co-op mode, which I’ve heard is in the works, would definitely be an amazing feature. Expand
  3. Sep 8, 2020
    This game would be amazing if not for the simple fact there's aim assist on controllers with crossplay. PC players can't opt out of crossplay and PC players using controllers get crazy aim assist too. There's a lot of threads on reddit and videos on youtube showing how ugly it makes the game. It's a real shame.
  4. Sep 4, 2020
    Love that there is finally a BR game that isn’t a shooter. Definitely try it. Really cool dynamics that remind me of early destiny pvp.
  5. Sep 8, 2020
    Spellbreak is a lovely game and Proletariat Inc. seems to be a friendly company, talking and listening what the players want for the game. Yes, the game has to improve but this beginning is very promising. Please, work hard the details and regular updates so the players will be here. I'm supporting this video game from the first day. Good job!
  6. Sep 10, 2020
    The gameplay feels great and there's a strong amount of skill involved. Recommend anyone to try at least once!
  7. Jul 10, 2020
    Its a really great game when you put in a good amount of hours and can really see the improvement from hour 1 to hour 5 for example. This game has so much potential for growth with the talents system, and being able to expand into other gamemodes smoothly aswell which the devs are all in for. It is a little clunky in some areas. But the Combat system and mastering the movement in this gameIts a really great game when you put in a good amount of hours and can really see the improvement from hour 1 to hour 5 for example. This game has so much potential for growth with the talents system, and being able to expand into other gamemodes smoothly aswell which the devs are all in for. It is a little clunky in some areas. But the Combat system and mastering the movement in this game is what really draws you in, because its not your typical shoot at the enemy for 3 seconds and they are dead. These fights can last 10-40 seconds depending on the player which really immerses you into game. The Lore is still in progress but so far it is solid. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2020
    Spellbreak is a fun, fresh take in what has become a battle royal of battle royal games/modes. Please do yourself a favor and try this game.
    At the time of writing this, solos and duos are locked, otherwise I'd give it a 10. I'd write I longer review but I'm on mobile and wanted to give it a number while it's on my mind
  9. Sep 5, 2020
    Its great.I have waited a long time now itd out and playing it feels great.Its smooth and fun.Its packed with Arcane action.The combos are great.
  10. Sep 5, 2020
    Best game I have ever played. The gameplay is very smooth and movement is very fluid. The graphics are beautiful and Proletariat has a wonderful community. I can't explain this game fully within 5000 characters but believe me, this game has changed my expectations of future gaming. Thank you Proletariat for making this masterpiece
  11. Sep 5, 2020
    One of the most fun games I've ever played takes a little time to get used to but then it gets fun
  12. Sep 6, 2020
    The game’s mechanics work so well here with the each gauntlet there’s combos which can lead to massive damage.
    But you can also counter the gauntlets with each other like for example ice can kill fire and fire can kill ice.Anyways the movement in this game can lead to fights you didn’t want to last a long but this game deserves a nine for sure.
  13. Sep 7, 2020
    An amazing Battle Royal game. Lots of movement across the map, not just on a 3d plane, but also got think about vertically. It's fun to use the different gauntlets, each specialise in a different area of attacking. They also pair well with other elements. It's free, fun and well worth a go. Yes there are some areas that need to be improved apon such as the ping system, (tellingAn amazing Battle Royal game. Lots of movement across the map, not just on a 3d plane, but also got think about vertically. It's fun to use the different gauntlets, each specialise in a different area of attacking. They also pair well with other elements. It's free, fun and well worth a go. Yes there are some areas that need to be improved apon such as the ping system, (telling teammates where things are) and has a decent learning curve. Plus, the artistic design is awesome. Expand
  14. Sep 17, 2020
    An excellent free to play battle royale game with great game mechanics, insane combat, nice atmosphere and interesting graphics.
  15. Sep 23, 2020
    This game has the potential to be someting great. To bad it suffers from horrible lag en bugs. You cant pick up items a lot of the time. The players lag so much you can't get a hit in. People are playing togheter in solo and duo mode cause there is nothing you can do about it. The xp takes 20 milion years to level up after hitting mage rank 10. To bad it suffers from so much.
  16. Sep 13, 2020
    First thing: I hate battle royal. This game changed my mind, but i want to get more maps, modes (f.e. moba) and much more variety of spells.
  17. Sep 17, 2020
    A truly innovative and unique way of battle royale that delivers unique and exciting matches. It does, however, suffer from incredibly slow leveling.

The way this game differs itself from its competition is the unique use of spells instead of weapons (as is most common in modern day battle royale games). And that is a good thing since innovation in games like these is important, repeating the same formula over and over doesn't work (looking at you Hyperscape). The way players cast spells and are able to combine/ ignite them with another element is very cool and can lead to some exciting dogfights.

And now, the bad thing about this game. While customization of your character and unlocking certain emotes, titles and items by leveling up is okay, the amount it takes you to level up is NOT. Most battle royale games (or just shooter games in particular) give you XP when making kills, well, this game does not. Don't misunderstand me as you will get XP from kills but the amount of XP is so extremely low you might as well not even make kills at all. Let's say you get 10 kills in one match but end 11th. You get less XP than someone who has 0 kills but did win the game. Which doesn't make much sense.
    And looking at it from a trophy hunters perspective, one of the trophies requires you to upgrade every class (there are 6) to the max level. Leveling up one class to the max level will approximately takes you around 100+ hours and that is if you have decent matches where you end in the top 3 (kills hardly reward you with XP). And again, the trophy requires the upgrade ALL 6 classes. That means it'll take you 600+ hours for all classes to be maxed out. And the funniest (and also saddest) part of it all, there's not even a platinum trophy for this game which would've been okay if it didn't take us 600+ hours to get a gold trophy. There are AAA RPG's, shooter games and online games that take you less time than this and reward you with a platinum.

Verdict: The game is innovative, fun and refreshing. especially when looking at the repeating formula of a lot of recent battle royale games. If you just play this game casually it's almost perfect and there's nothing much to say about it. If, however, you want to get this game to 100% you'll have to think twice before even installing it as the requirements for that are beyond ridiculous and leveling needs to be fixed.

Note: I am aware this game just released and there's a lot the developers can, and will, likely add/ change in the game.
  18. Sep 22, 2020
    However some of the design elements seem promising the game suffers from a mass amount of cheaters that ruin the experience.
  19. Sep 7, 2020
    It is a great game, very original and fast paced, but I think solos and duos lacking is not good, and the map design is rather boring. Getting that out of the way, it is very fun with friends, and I think it has a lot of future. A great game.
  20. Sep 7, 2020
    I love it! It’s a fresh new take on battle royal games! I’m usually not a fan of battle royal but this game is something special! I look forward to being there as the game grows into something even more epic than it already is!

Mixed or average reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 5, 2020
    Ultimately, Spellbreak is clearly still going through its paces; think about the drastic changes we've seen in games like Fornite since its release in 2017. Thus, I do believe this title will age nicely and continue to develop and evolve as time passes. This does seem to be the case, especially as the game has also adopted Fortnite’s successful formula of being free-to-play, as well as containing an in-game cosmetic store. Nowadays, this a tried and tested format for Battle Royale titles, and it works well for Spellbreak, making it accessible and playful, as well as offering dedicated players something to spend their money on.
  2. Sep 28, 2020
    Spellbreak’s combat is stylish and offers a lot of flexibility. If the developer follows through on its roadmap (which promises more storytelling among other things), it could really turn into something special.
    If Spellbreak gets continued support it could be a contender but for now this fairly limited F2P battle royale game isn't bad.