7.8

1. Nov 11, 2020
    I'm an not a hardcore gamer, that's true but i would really like to love Spelunky 2. It reminds me of Ricky Dangerous back the old days of Amiga. Anyway, it is very difficult and it annoys me the fact that you cannot save your progress and you have to go back to the start even you somehow reached 2nd, 3rd stage or further in the game. You will want eventually to use hacks to go on....
  2. Sep 17, 2020
    Utterly beautiful in the classiest way and impeccable game design to the minutest detail by Derek Yu. The game to top in the next decade.
  3. Sep 17, 2020
    Just fantastic. Feels like the first but with even tighter controls, sharper graphics and amazing sound.

More danger, more companions to find and tons of secrets to discover. If you liked the first game, you will love this even more, WOW.
  4. Sep 16, 2020
    Just what the doctor ordered. I'm only about 5 hours into it, but I'm having a blast. I loved the first one and I think they changed it just enough to make everything feel fresh and dangerous again while still retaining everything that really made it shine.
  5. Sep 18, 2020
    Easily the best platformer ever, the original had a great concept but levels felt empty and weren't very detailed or complex, they were clearly the result of an algorithm. Furthermore the game felt very barebones and it was lacking when it comes to content, however the sequel improves so much on the formula of the original that these issues are non existent in this game. Levels feelEasily the best platformer ever, the original had a great concept but levels felt empty and weren't very detailed or complex, they were clearly the result of an algorithm. Furthermore the game felt very barebones and it was lacking when it comes to content, however the sequel improves so much on the formula of the original that these issues are non existent in this game. Levels feel designed and man made, they don't feel like the result of an algorithm even though they are, this is extremely impressive and thanks to this there are an infinite amount of unique and fun levels. Furthermore the game is also extremely varied and has a huge amount of content, it switches biome/world every 4 levels and has more of them than the original, there is also a huge amount of enemy types so you definitely wont get bored. The game is also challenging, like old school platformers which is a definite plus in my book. It has a very nice progression system too. Its mechanics are very well made and very polished. Furthermore the controls are very tight and responsive. The art style is great, much better than the originals imo. This game is perfect. The price is too cheap for what you get. The original was a 7/10 at best, this one is a definite 10/10. Expand
  6. Sep 17, 2020
    Cenários e gameplay repleto de segredos, física aprimorada, novos caminho, música bem trabalhada, level design procedural de encher os olhos. Uma run nunca será igual a outra, te obrigando a melhorar como jogador. Pra quem busca um desafio, aqui está!
  7. Sep 18, 2020
    Spelunky 2 is a great, challenging game that will dazzle both veterans and newcomers alike.
  8. Nov 20, 2020
    Spelunky 2 is the perfect metaphor for life. Keep on digging, be persistent, stay vigilant, and you'll be rewarded. There are deep truths embedded within. It just so happens to be an amazing game too. Keep spelunking people, don't give up
  9. Sep 9, 2021
    Tiene demasiada nota, que alguiewn le baje los humos por favor
    El genshin es mejor y gokju le gana
  10. Sep 29, 2020
    It's good, certainly, but the first area is very similar to Spelunky, except much more difficult. This makes the early game feel redundant and exhausting. I think I played the original Spelunky too much to really enjoy this. I'll change this review if I make it to the later areas, but frankly I don't think I ever will.
  11. Sep 28, 2020
    A good sequel, but of course it doesn't reinvent anything. I hold the first Spelunky as one of the best games that I've played and anyone that enjoyed the first game will most definitely find a liking to Spelunky 2. I must admit that I am far from having finished the game yet, but have probably died 200 or 300 times already, with that being said there are a lot of things I have notA good sequel, but of course it doesn't reinvent anything. I hold the first Spelunky as one of the best games that I've played and anyone that enjoyed the first game will most definitely find a liking to Spelunky 2. I must admit that I am far from having finished the game yet, but have probably died 200 or 300 times already, with that being said there are a lot of things I have not explored yet. There are some new features and fun things going on and there is only one major flaw I can come to think of: When you get injured/hurt the stun sequence is far too long and since you don't have any invicibility frames a single accident far to often results in a quite unfair perma death, even if you had as much as 6 or 7 HP. Hopefully this will be patched. Expand
  12. Sep 22, 2020
    I have waited so long for this game to come out and it was well worth the wait. This game expands on what I enjoyed about the original and seems to be packed with hidden secrets. I have always thought spelunky was a little niche, but for those who enjoy indie/rougelikes this game is truly awesome.
  13. Oct 14, 2020
    A shining example of how a sequel can improve on the original in every possible way. With its silky smooth controls, charming visuals and music, endless secrets & discoveries and rewarding, skill-based gameplay, Spelunky 2 is a true delight. Probably the best rogue-like platformer ever made.
  14. Sep 27, 2020
    I played the original quite a lot back in the day so it's good to see it get a sequel. I'd say it's almost perfect. To me, this is one of the few games where I think that the difficulty makes it more fun. I would definitely recommend it to beginners and veteran players.
  15. Oct 2, 2020
    A perfectsequel to an already perfect original. Bigger, faster, more colourful, more imaginative, more stylish and MUCH more difficult than the original in every conceivable way. Even after more than 15,000 playthroughs of the original (killing King Yama more than 200 times in the process), I still feel like a complete Spelunky noob once again. And despite my high early death count, I'mA perfectsequel to an already perfect original. Bigger, faster, more colourful, more imaginative, more stylish and MUCH more difficult than the original in every conceivable way. Even after more than 15,000 playthroughs of the original (killing King Yama more than 200 times in the process), I still feel like a complete Spelunky noob once again. And despite my high early death count, I'm absolutely loving it.

Spelunky 2 is a masterpiece; proof that Derek Yu's almost impossible quest to improve upon the original more than justified the extended delays to the game's highly-anticipated launch. Proceed with extreme caution though - as good as this game ultimately is, it will definitely frustrate the less-than-hardcore gamers out there. Spelunky 2 will undoubtedly be responsible for damage to hundreds of PS4 controllers (and potentially a few TVs too).

A god amongst roguelikes platformers, and the perfect swan song for the PS4. MIss it at your peril.
  16. Sep 26, 2020
    Addictive game loop that is plauged with annoying quirks, rng and insane difficulty.

Why is there no way to adjust the difficulty level? If you really wanted to "welcome newcomers", this would have been the first thing to include already in the design phase. Feels like a lazy decision to not have. This game also has lots of annoying quirks, things that surprise you - usually in a bad

This game also has lots of annoying quirks, things that surprise you - usually in a bad way. Like how the whip hits things behind you as well. Or how you can drop what you are holding if your standing close to an edge. Im sure some will call it "attention to details", but this - and other similar things - just makes the game feel inconsistent and weird.
    The core game loop is great, but it is sorely missing a way to adjust the difficulty. This drags the score down a lot for me.

Something that also needs to be brought up is the RNG. The RNG is horrible in this game, sometimes giving you sections of the game where you are doomed to die no matter what you do.
    Another thing is the limited visibility, where you drop down only to have something off screen jump at you when you land causing you to die immediately. This is clearly the result of RNG generated levels - no sane level designer would build it in this way. RNG should more be an option for an extension when you are done with the game, not as a replacement for proper level design.
    Combine this with save points that are extremely far in between and your in for an infuriating time.
    Such a shame - a great opportunity missed is kind of what this game is
  17. Sep 21, 2020
    It's too complicated and difficult.

The story is also hard to understand.
  18. Mar 30, 2021
    Nice sequel to nice roguelike old school platformer. Visuals are good, sounds are good, gameplay are top. Music from first area are highly infective and your roommates will hate you for that tunes! For me sequel became more harder than original. It took 6 months to get first finish. And still have many hidden quests. Online sessions delivers more fun than single run, but random teammatesNice sequel to nice roguelike old school platformer. Visuals are good, sounds are good, gameplay are top. Music from first area are highly infective and your roommates will hate you for that tunes! For me sequel became more harder than original. It took 6 months to get first finish. And still have many hidden quests. Online sessions delivers more fun than single run, but random teammates usually are crazy mad, and are too close to ruin all party. And don't forget main rule, spelunker: never step too fast! Expand
  19. Nov 22, 2020
    As fan of retro style games this one is a gem. Easy to pick up and put down without needing to invest tons of time into it. Its a rouge-like where every run is a new discovery. Very difficult but very rewarding when you get further then before. Overall worth a full price purchase on any platform.
  20. Sep 20, 2020
    It's a real game (like Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild, and Gran Turismo Sport), it's a rewarding challenge, but also a piece of astonishing craftsmanship. A marble.
  21. Mar 11, 2022
    The software lacks any save, checkpoint or level codes (as were implemented on 1980s NES games that lacked the technology to store saves) as such you basically have to replay the same first few levels endlessly. I suspect the designers put some effort into the later levels but decided they do not want players to ever see them. This design is the equivalent of taking the script for "A FewThe software lacks any save, checkpoint or level codes (as were implemented on 1980s NES games that lacked the technology to store saves) as such you basically have to replay the same first few levels endlessly. I suspect the designers put some effort into the later levels but decided they do not want players to ever see them. This design is the equivalent of taking the script for "A Few Good Men" and instead making 19 seasons of NCIS and airing them in no particular order. Many TV viewers are happy to watch the same story over and over but they would not be happy if they went to a movie theatre and were shown a random sampling of NCIS episodes until they walked out.
    Even Mega Man (released in 1987) allowed you to replay levels until you turned your system off, by Mega Man 2 codes were provided to restore progress. Mega Man has released many sequels and will continue to be enjoyed long after Spelunky is forgotten.
    The online multiplayer has terrible latency, I assume this was done on purpose to make the game more difficult for the bizarre fans of this "genre".
    The fans of this software certainly value feeling elite very highly and they would be very susceptible to a cult. This software contains interesting pieces that could have been used to make a game however the developers instead have made a challenge which could have been one possible game mode.
  22. Dec 11, 2020
    300 hours in and I'm sure I will be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Superior to HD in every way except the music IMO but I turned that off in both games fairly early on. There are so many secrets to be found and end game content to keep even the best players engaged for 100+ hours. Yes, it's harder than HD. No, that's not a bad thing. Early on I felt the game was unfair
    300 hours in and I'm sure I will be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Yes, it's harder than HD. No, that's not a bad thing.

Early on I felt the game was unfair sometimes but with experience I have come to blame myself for the vast majority of my deaths.

Derek Yu and Blitworks have been pushing out updates since lauch to make it the best possible experience.

A must play for HD fans and anyone who enjoys difficult games.

A masterpiece, in my opinion.
  23. May 21, 2022
    Game would be an easy 9 if getting combo'd to death outside your control didn't happen so much

Generally favorable reviews - based on 41 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 15, 2020
    A worthy sequel to an indie pioneer that delivers countless surprises in a refined package. Not for the easily frustrated, perhaps, but essential for everyone else. [Issue#181, p.87]
  2. Nov 4, 2020
    Spelunky 2 is a divisive game. A masterpiece for those who swear by the reward at the end of their suffering, it will be painful and boring for those who want a fulfilling and contemporary experience. Even more difficult than the first game, it is undoubtedly frustrating because of its lack of pedagogy and progressiveness. Even for a game that wants to be difficult, the shock will be rough from the beginning.
  3. Oct 14, 2020
    Spelunky 2 takes the baton from Spelunky 1 and hits its stride immediately. Jumping into the caverns, whipping bats, chucking rocks, and smashing pots is just as fun and challenging 8 years later. Mossmouth has kept true to its original vision in a way that will satisfy fans, but packaged enough new content to ensure things don't feel like a rehash. As a result, Spelunky 2 isn't attempting to convert any who weren't fans of the first game. The game has a very specific approach and will not be for everyone, but those who adored the first game are guaranteed to feel the same about its sequel. At a time when gamers are less inclined to take risks with their purchases, Spelunky 2 offers the comfort of the familiar.