8.1

1. Jul 17, 2019
    dont buy. its overhyped. i was looking forward to play and i sold it again after 3 hours of trying hard to like it. i am a gamer for +30 years now playing a lot of different games except RPG and Strategie. i enjoyed crash bandicoot and raymen for example. this game is just boring af. no real challange. levels style/missions are the same over and over again. u really need do the same basicdont buy. its overhyped. i was looking forward to play and i sold it again after 3 hours of trying hard to like it. i am a gamer for +30 years now playing a lot of different games except RPG and Strategie. i enjoyed crash bandicoot and raymen for example. this game is just boring af. no real challange. levels style/missions are the same over and over again. u really need do the same basic stuff all the time. enemys are far to easy. its maybe fun for 6-8 years old children. not hateing but come on. even my wife didnt like it and she love cute games like kirbys dreamland. Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2018
    Reviewing what is actually on the disc as someone who's gotten the physical version because their internet and data cap can't handle a 40+ GB download, I have to give it a 0/10 for the simple fact that there is no game here despite having to pay full price for it.
    This kind of business practice should be illegal.
    If you are selling a physical product to people, it better work, otherwise
    This kind of business practice should be illegal.
    If you are selling a physical product to people, it better work, otherwise this is nothing more than a handicapped digital version that just has a box with a required disc download key that is required at all time to be inserted.

In short. The actual game I bought has no game on it = 0/10
  3. Nov 23, 2018
    Games on not on disc. You are paying full price for a rental.
    Remember Scott Pilgrim.
    Remember PT.
    Don't let these corporations have their ultimate wet dream of complete control over your life.
  4. Nov 21, 2018
    This game has no subtitle. This made some people like me unable to know what the character are talking about or what's the story.

In this day and age, this lack of even the minimum of minimum accessibility is unacceptable.
  5. Mar 14, 2019
    Literally does not even deserve a zero. ONE GAME OUT OF A TRILOGY DOES NOT A TRILOGY MAKE.

Make no mistake. This was not simply the worst thing to be released in 2018. It is hands down the worst thing to be released in the entire decade due to the precedent it sets and how this will shape the next decade to come. Absolutely no one should purchase this at any time because the practice

Absolutely no one should purchase this at any time because the practice of creating a trilogy of games printed onto physical discs that only include 1/3rd of the content ON said disc is as anti consumer as anti consumer gets. Activision and no other company should be rewarded financially for hurting gamers by setting such a precedent.

This is not about not having internet access. This is not about hard drive space. Its simply WRONG and if you bought this you are complicit in hurting ALL gamers. Make no mistake about it.
  6. Nov 18, 2018
    30fps, bad frame pacing. No 60fps in 4K. It's a delusional remake technically badly executed. You can't seriously give it a high score for lazy programming.
  7. Nov 13, 2018
    This game is complete garbage. There is a mandatory 19 GB patch to be able to finish the other two Spyro games. That makes the physical copy pointless. When I buy a single player only game, I expect the full game on the disc. No Ifs, Ands, Buts, or Maybes. There is no option to turn off the ridiculous motion blur.

This game take up 67 GB. You expect me to believe that this game eats up

This game take up 67 GB. You expect me to believe that this game eats up more space than GTA V. Spyro has horrible cartoon graphics, trash physics, garbage animations, lack of details, lack of content, and a lot less audio. It's painfully obvious that the developers were too lazy to compress their game. They should've at least put the game in 2 discs like RDR 2. This would prevent the game from requiring online patches. Greedy Activision were too cheap to allow it.

There is no multiplayer. So once you complete the story, there is not a reason to touch this game again. Charging $40 for a low quality game with no replay value is a cashgrab. It's one thing to not have multiplayer in a pricey game, but to require internet for a SP only game is pathetic. Avoid this game at all costs, unless you want to support corporate greed. Internet required games are cancer.
  8. Nov 15, 2018
    $40 for 1 game on the disc that you buy. They are forcing the other two games as "digital downloads" so its a complete rip off. If you have a right sense of mind and see the malicious selling practices, then don't support this kind of practice from the developers. $20 maybe can justify it but until then, 0/10.
  9. Nov 14, 2018
    67gb for this? give me a break... the companies are from bad to worst in every aspect. what next? 100gb for Journy?
  10. Nov 30, 2018
    Edited on 11/30/2018

Edited on 11/30/2018

Now that I've absolutely completed everything the game has to offer, I've returned to reaffirm that yes, this game is subpar. All three games have glaring flaws that outweigh the flaws of the originals, and I can honestly say I won't give the game a higher rating. The originals weren't perfect either, but those breaks were more fun. The breaks in this one are not. You will get stuck on geometry and unable to do anything about it - like the vines in Terrace Village. You will miss shots on things that are right in your face. You will bonk into everything while flying, because in the pursuit of maintaining the same level design, they failed to take into account that new motion animations of Spyro will interact far differently than the originals and therefore make the stages harder to traverse. It's something you do get used to, but there's many times you'll find the stage design begins to conflict with the motion of Spyro.

Namely, Spyro 3 has the worst polish out of all three games. Maybe it's because it was an afterthought that was worked on when people asked for it, but 3 suffered many flaws that hurt its enjoyment. I stated this in the original review I left, in particular about the Fireworks Factory dragon boss and the hitbox issues. What I didn't know just yet as of my last review was the ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS skateboarding errors, of which absolutely hindered my enjoyment of stages I once absolutely ADORED. Allow me to expand by explaining what happens in Super Bonus of Spyro 3- the Sasquatch 6 Race.

You will touch edges in this race. There's many bobbing and weaving paths that make this impossible to avoid perfectly on the first few attempts. This isn't bad in and of itself, unless you hit those edges/raised cliffs at certain angles. Hit it at a common angle, and you will be braked in place. Jump while stuck to get out, and the snowboard will ACTUALLY TRIGGER THE HALFPIPE SKATEBOARD TRICKS. 90 degree angle cliffsides should NOT make you act as if you are going up a halfpipe ramp, which ruined 5 of my attempts before I became overly paranoid and stopped using routes that had these cliffs, and panicked when hitting a ramp that could possibly have me touch one of the corners of a track (which were also bugged by this). After 10 attempts, I finally was able to win the race, but only after I had become horribly frustrated by something beyond my control.

Spyro 3 needed a lot more polish than it received, and the developers should have delayed the release to ensure that it got the treatment it needed to perform well. Companies being allowed to get away with unpolished content - not saying all bugs must be eradicated before release, but thoroughly playtested to ensure that the ones that are glaring are fixed - is a practice that needs to be squashed along with its bugs. I do not have the room to keep going on this review, but I assure you that I am not the only one who has noticed these errors, and I am not an anomaly for wishing they gave this series with just a little bit more love.

------Original review below:

For a game I have been excited to hear of for a good while now, it saddens me to know that I cannot give it the booming praise I wish I could. Though my nostalgia is dearly satiated, the controls are not as tight as many say. The poor controls of the supercharge, the horrible flight handling, and some of the hitboxes on various things - especially the double dragons in the Fireworks Factory to the rings that in the old games took me no more than 10 minutes, now 20+ minutes of frustration hoping to HIT the infernal things even when the fireballs DO come in contact with their parts - create a very frustrating experience that makes me tear my hair out and want to stop playing. I had a more enjoyable time on the older version, where the controls felt much more correct. It hurts when the camera angels swerve to unplayable angles in tight spaces, such as in Sgt. Byrd's Base when trying to enter a tight tunnel space when the camera will jerk into an overhead angle in which you can't even see Byrd flying.

Sparx seems incapable of collecting gems 70% of the time, unless you are right next to the thing, and sometimes you have to collect it yourself. The importance of him as a mechanic in the game to lower frustration on the player is reduced to pressing the left stick down every few seconds, only to find he didn't pick up a gem you passed by very closely, yet he wouldn't grab it.

I love the facelift this game has gotten, I love the designs and color and characterization, but a lot of the things that made the old game so fluid to play are missing, and create an aggravating time for those who want to enjoy their memories of the originals.
  11. Nov 15, 2018
    2019 is close and we have very capable mid gen console and we still get 30fps platformers from these lazy devs. What a joke, this game completely worthless I would rather play ratchet and clank in 60fps on an old ps2 than this slideshow.
  12. Feb 16, 2019
    *DISC COPY ONLY HAS "SPYRO THE DRAGON"! YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD 50+GB IN ORDER TO PLAY THE OTHER TWO TITLES!
    I bought a disc copy because Frontier won't install Fiber optic in my neighborhood (my internet sucks). I was curious when I saw a huge update start downloading when I installed the game but thought nothing of it and eagerly started playing the first Spyro. The next day after beating it, I wanted to start playing the second one but upon going back to the main menu I notice a prompt at the bottom of the screen saying "Some levels require download. Internet connection required".

Now I'm sitting here wondering why the hell I paid $40 for a incomplete game. I'm honestly stunned that Activision & Toys For Bob thought this was acceptable! So now I have to wait for my sloth of a internet connection to finish downloading before I can even play the next two titles I PAID FOR!

Besides that the First Spyro game was awesome! I enjoyed every minute of it and loved how the dragons were redone. Platformer games have their obvious draw backs and frustrations but overall a very enjoyable experience. The environments are well done and the music is just how I remember it but modernized. I loved how the revamped the enemies and update the audio for them while still maintaining that retro feel.

This game would receive a higher score if ALL THREE GAMES WERE ON THE DISC! Yet again a company promises one thing and delivers short of it. Instead of it being call a "Trilogy" they should of packaged it as "Spyro the Dragon" because that is the only game you can play with a disc copy!
  13. May 9, 2019
    I will review my remake feelings based on Rypto's Rage, since it's the main point of Spyro.

First impression is the game selector, feels like you're in wallpaper selector made within 5 minutes, not animated and cheap. Main menu without Insomniac-like humor and without that lovely ringing sounds of menu selection. Just straight to the intro. Missing loading screen in fairy tale book

Main menu without Insomniac-like humor and without that lovely ringing sounds of menu selection. Just straight to the intro. Missing loading screen in fairy tale book style.

Then the intro. Where's that shining and floating golden letters on the 'Dragon Shores' gate? Damn, they were fascinating.
    Old game kept you focused on expressive characters, gems, orbs and gates, in this new you don't know where to start looking. Overdetalised character faces merge with overly detailed terrain. It feels like designer couldn't stop his pencil on wacom display to add more and more.
    I even didn't get what's happening in intro, so later I went back to ps1 youtube video to make sense.

First run.

Throwing flames doesn't give such satisfaction.
    Originally, each flame felt like you throw a fist and it faces terrain with a distinctive sound and push of head.
    You feel how you punch enemies with fire. You feel how you blow baskets and vases. You felt like you burst and smash.
    Nowadays, it feels like it's made of paper and flame bursts out of Spyro like a gentle gas burner.
    Timings between bursts have been decreased and you can literally spam with fires around. Moving camera would move the burst in air, making it easy to burn out whatever you see without being satisfied that you got a precise hit, knocked off and won the fight.

Orbs. Orbs is the main charm and obsession in this game, when you chase a quest and looking forward to a reward.
    Remember that moments, when an Orb jumps up and down with Spyro's head following it (proving it's precious metal compound and real weight), and that feeling of your overwhelming joy? When they gift it to you out of pocket. And then that zzap sound with Zoe?

It's not there anymore. They don't even feel it. Orb just static and disappear in the air, and no more that famous zzap sounds. It feels like chinese replica. You feel cheated there as someone kicks your childhood memories.

Gems. After level is finished, they don't show off and fly all to your chest. Their counter just decrease with timer and that's all. LMAO, are you lazy? You must be whipped for this.

The fundamental satisfactions is broken.

Gems picking up sound is not as bright as old one. Vase blow out sound not that smashy. 'Colossus' level sing is nonsense. Water is not that transparent. View through Gates is foggy and not charming.

Pause menu design tells you there's no more genius hands on this game. It's like freelancer did mobile menu, while it was a white book with moving pages.
    Passive camera by default, motion blur until March 2019 patch.
    Who on the earth could make this with Spyro?

Honestly they should had been make 1 with 2 and then optionally release 3, since first two requires big efforts and they carry all the fame to PlayStation platform.

Extremely frustrated since I do realize they won't make any changes anymore.
    Thank you anyway.
    Sigh.

1. Mar 5, 2019
    Spyro Reignited Trilogy is maybe the greatest celebration of a classic - ever! Gameplay still holds up, graphics are beyond gorgeous and nostalgia hits you hard, yet it feels like a first time experience. Unlike some old-school odysseys that promise warm nostalgia, reignited trilogy delivers burning hot blast from the past - for the future!
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 6, 2019
    Reignited Trilogy looks like a Pixar movie and proves that while many other genres have changed significantly over the last 20 years, the recipe for an enjoyable platformer stayed the same, at least in many aspects. Of course nowadays people expect more from any game and Spyro does feel archaic but its wise design stood the test of time, especially if you look at the remake through the eyes of a child (either literally or metaphorically). [01/2019, p.50]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    An excellent choice for the upcoming Christmas holiday in the family circle. Spyro is a playful and appealing rebel who will be loved by old fans and their children as well. [Issue#291]