5.7

1. Jun 27, 2020
    I had been hoping for a remake/remaster. Instead it is exactly the same game I remember from PC and N64. Still, the game is as fun as I remember it to be. Cool locations, tracks, shortcuts, characters to unlock, parts to buy and upgrade your racer, it is all very lovely. It is a bit easy, especially in the beginning, but it gets more challenging later on.
    Despite the game being overall
    Despite the game being overall really nice, I can't give it too high a score, because it is just the original game ported to PS4, no new locations or characters, no graphics or sound updates, etc. 7 seems fair to me.
  2. Jun 29, 2020
    Ok so I almost got all the trophies. I just need one more. The last one I need is the fully upgrade the best parts trophy. Its weird I beat the game without doing that... So I have to play tournament mode again and only get parts from the junkyard.. So stupid.. The gameplay is good once you get a hang of it. I dont like how boost works in this game. The level design is realy good for aOk so I almost got all the trophies. I just need one more. The last one I need is the fully upgrade the best parts trophy. Its weird I beat the game without doing that... So I have to play tournament mode again and only get parts from the junkyard.. So stupid.. The gameplay is good once you get a hang of it. I dont like how boost works in this game. The level design is realy good for a older game. This is just a port. Its not a remake. I like Racer Revenge more but this one is wide screen so thats the only benifit. And like I said the level/track design is good. But Racer Revenge is a way better podracing game in my opinion. Buy that one instead. Expand
  3. Jun 30, 2020
    I had the game on release for PC, and replaying it was certainly fun, but I think ultimately 15 Euros is too much for just an upscaled port with no other additions. Maybe for half that price, it would be easier to recommend.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 30, 2020
    What still comes across is a blistering sense of speed. Sure, it’s missing much in the way of the interesting track gravity you might expect from a zero-grav racer, but tight corridors and hairpin turns can still delight as you shove your pod nearly on its side. Two-player racing is also a welcome holdover. Racer was once very impressive and it still runs well enough, but it all feels basic now. It does raise the question – why haven’t we had a new version that’s as exciting as this was in its day in 21 years ago? [Issue#178, p.76]
    While the years haven't been kind to the graphical fidelity, Star Wars Episode I: Racer still stands up well as a fun sideshow to the more traditional war games set in the series. The quality of life improvements to the PS4 port makes the game a more enjoyable racer to play overall, but the lacking difficulty and replay value makes this a shortlived experience. If you enjoyed the game back in the nineties and fancy a double dip, it will surprise you just how easy it feels now, but if you didn't enjoy the game then this port will do little to change your mind.
  3. Jun 26, 2020
    We'll never in a million years grow tired of hearing the announcer's ecstatic “IT’S A NEW LAP RECORD”, but the main draw after finishing off the tournament mode is the tracks themselves. The tournaments start you off on relatively simple circuits, but each time you revisit the planet, new elements are introduced. It's a brilliant approach to level design that allows to you carry forward your knowledge of a track while adding new things to ensure you’re not just on autopilot. Throw in the ludicrous number of shortcuts on each track, and it’s possible to have an almost entirely different experience on each lap. More than anything, this game being both 20 years old and incredibly fun is a clear sign that a modern Podracing title should absolutely be a thing.