5.7

1. Jun 24, 2020
    It's just as I remember it, with a touch of modern controls. The response is phenomenal. What used to be a fun, frustrating game, is now a fun, not so frustrating game, due to better controls, and full of nostalgia.
  2. Jul 8, 2020
    I play this game on N64 and PC, I was a child when this game arrived to my life. I remember this game like one of my favorite racing games.
    This is not a remaster or remake, it's a port of the original game for actual consoles (Aspyr said that). Of course I want a remake, but with this I feel happy. Play the same things on my PS4 and with better controls than Star Wars Racer: Revenge, and a slight touch on graphics, it's a big thing. I hope EA take this topic on the entire universe of Star Wars for a new game.
  3. Jul 1, 2020
    Still the Pc version I liked when I was young and still I become addicted to this game.
    So I have played through alot of times now.
    So in my point of view is the best racing game from 1999. But now can we debat. :-)

Mixed or average reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 30, 2020
    What still comes across is a blistering sense of speed. Sure, it’s missing much in the way of the interesting track gravity you might expect from a zero-grav racer, but tight corridors and hairpin turns can still delight as you shove your pod nearly on its side. Two-player racing is also a welcome holdover. Racer was once very impressive and it still runs well enough, but it all feels basic now. It does raise the question – why haven’t we had a new version that’s as exciting as this was in its day in 21 years ago? [Issue#178, p.76]
    While the years haven't been kind to the graphical fidelity, Star Wars Episode I: Racer still stands up well as a fun sideshow to the more traditional war games set in the series. The quality of life improvements to the PS4 port makes the game a more enjoyable racer to play overall, but the lacking difficulty and replay value makes this a shortlived experience. If you enjoyed the game back in the nineties and fancy a double dip, it will surprise you just how easy it feels now, but if you didn't enjoy the game then this port will do little to change your mind.
  3. Jun 26, 2020
    We'll never in a million years grow tired of hearing the announcer's ecstatic “IT’S A NEW LAP RECORD”, but the main draw after finishing off the tournament mode is the tracks themselves. The tournaments start you off on relatively simple circuits, but each time you revisit the planet, new elements are introduced. It's a brilliant approach to level design that allows to you carry forward your knowledge of a track while adding new things to ensure you’re not just on autopilot. Throw in the ludicrous number of shortcuts on each track, and it’s possible to have an almost entirely different experience on each lap. More than anything, this game being both 20 years old and incredibly fun is a clear sign that a modern Podracing title should absolutely be a thing.