8.7

1. Sep 24, 2020
    There's some potential but overall it's a mess... again.

- Shots frequently still don't match the input. You'll get a slice shot when you've press for top spin or a flat shot when you want a slice etc. and this happens even when you've supposedly timed the shot as "good" or "perfect". - Pro players seemingly have no identity or specific animations other than Nadal. Even Federer has a
    There's some potential but overall it's a mess... again.

- Pro players seemingly have no identity or specific animations other than Nadal. Even Federer has a generic serve and swings, and NO ONE has realistic or personalised celebrations. For a game that wants to present itself as a tennis "sim" this is simply unforgivable. You want to feel like you are these players and the character model just looking (a bit) like them isn't enough. Federer with a massive, cheesy (and terrifying) smile after winning a point just looks so, so wrong.

- Net play is completely broken. If you go to the net you will be passed, regardless of the difficulty level or who you're playing against, because the game simply does not respond to input at the net whatsoever. I've played just under 4 hours and haven't been able hit one volley at the net, nor has an animation even been initiated to lunge for the ball as it passes.

- Similar to above, all too often your player will simply refuse to respond to a ball when moving side to side at the baseline that falls close enough that you realistically should be able to at least lunge for it and make some sort of play. Completely unresponsive.

- The AI seems incapable of getting above 40% first serves in, regardless of who you're playing against or what difficulty the game is on. Fault after fault.

- Impossible to hit aces even using the best players. I haven't yet managed a single one on my time with the game.

- Single handed backhand animations are honestly beyond abysmal. Similar to my first point, you'll try and play a top spin backhand and it'll hit some bizarre looking, dodgy slice that looks completely unnatural and unrealistic.

- Ball physics at times are completely nonsensical in terms of trajectory and velocity. One minute you'll hit a top spin forehand that looks great, the next you're playing a strange, lunging volley that somehow goes into super speed with heavy top spin despite the animation not matching this at all.

- They may have "doubled" the animations, but it's still nowhere near enough and the game still completely lacks any real fluidity. You'll see the same animations over and over again (as well as ones that make literally no sense considering the button you've pressed, as above) and players will awkwardly transition from one shot/position to the next in an unrealistic way.

- The sound is still sub-par. Crowds don't react to some winners and generally are still underwhelming and, seriously, how hard/expensive could it be to just pay some decent, professional umpires and line judges to record for the game? Because they still sound AWFUL. Again, it ruins the immersion of it all.

- Zero customisation. It's 2020 and yet we can't create and share courts/arenas/tournaments/players and we can't edit pro players stats and overall ratings to our liking. AO Tennis manages it, so why can't Tennis World Tour? It completely takes away from the realism and how replayable the game is, especially considering the base game without DLC has ZERO official tournaments and a number of huge omissions in the roster such as Djokovic, Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka etc.

Overall I'd give the game 4/10 so far, at a push. Unless there's huge improvements to the responsiveness, animations and content via patches (here we go again) then it's yet another failed tennis game.
  2. Sep 27, 2020
    The positive:
    - Challenging and rewarding timing base gameplay.
    - For once in a tennis video game, players hold their racket like they should (eg. eastern grip for forehand) and in the majority of situation, the swing movements are realistics. Don't get me wrong, there is no variety or specific player animation (appart from Nadal)...but it does look like real life tennis at least. The
    The positive:
    - Challenging and rewarding timing base gameplay.

The Negative:
    - Unresponsive player movement. Basically, the AI moves for you, sometimes, making strange decision, like going forward to force you to play a half volley, leaving you completely vulnerable in the middle of the court. Often, players don't even try to reach the ball. Going to the net is too hard. There should be a shoulder button (L1 for ex.) to force your player to play a net approach by going forward and playing his shot at the same time.

- Some shots still don't match the input. I'm guessing because the animation were juste never created. You won't be able to enjoy finishing the point with a big forehand swing when the ball is over your shoulder. It doesn't matter if you press the flat or the lift button, your player will always do a lame slice forehand, even if you hit with the perfect timing.

- In career mode, character creation and progression is uncommonly bad. Every new created player have the same starting stats and each time you level up, you have only 3 attributes you can improve (defense / attack / precision). Why can't I create a serve & volley type of player with a weak forehand like stefan Edberg? For me, it just kills any incentive you might have to do a second playthrough.

- The cards system is not compatible with a simulation. Worst idea ever. On the same level of crazyness, the boosts the different rackets give you are completely unrealistics.

- Edit: card system is actually broken atm. Sometimes, small effects will stack in the weirdest way making you either a superman serving at 250km/h or a total loser incapable of hitting the ball. I'm level 14 and it happened already in 3 matches. Hence, my note changed from 6 to 4.

In conclusion, don't expect top spin 4 quality here, it is clearly still a work in progress. Wait for patches or for the next tennis game.
  3. Sep 23, 2020
    Such an improvement on the previous game. Gameplay, presentation and the look of the game is much better!
  4. Sep 23, 2020
    My believe is that the game feels a bit off to me. For the gameplay, I like the skill based improved gameplay and and the online play is a positive. But career mode is boring, the animations seem inconsistent and the physics look awkward. However, the main positive is that the game is an improvement to Tennis World Tour 1. Even with it's shortcomings, Tennis World Tour 2 may compete withMy believe is that the game feels a bit off to me. For the gameplay, I like the skill based improved gameplay and and the online play is a positive. But career mode is boring, the animations seem inconsistent and the physics look awkward. However, the main positive is that the game is an improvement to Tennis World Tour 1. Even with it's shortcomings, Tennis World Tour 2 may compete with AO Tennis 2. Expand
  5. Oct 7, 2020
    After today's update I am suddenly enjoying this game much more. I'm using the "Very Easy" difficulty level and am now able to play long rallies and be competitive, something that seemed impossible before the latest update. It took me several games to finally realize how to return my opponents' shots by aiming far to the left or right, hitting lines for winners. This game has evolved fromAfter today's update I am suddenly enjoying this game much more. I'm using the "Very Easy" difficulty level and am now able to play long rallies and be competitive, something that seemed impossible before the latest update. It took me several games to finally realize how to return my opponents' shots by aiming far to the left or right, hitting lines for winners. This game has evolved from incredibly frustrating to lots of fun. The only issue, very minor, that I encountered today is right-handed players are left-handed in the scenes shown just before serving. Expand
  6. Oct 12, 2020
    Tennis World Tour 2 is a tennis game for people who like tennis, there is no denying this. It does little in terms of innovation and drawing in a crowd of new fans. Don’t get me wrong, Tennis World Tour 2 is a good tennis game, but I feel its lack of innovation will see it in bargain bins fairly soon, and better games were around on the Sega Dreamcast 20 years ago. I personally do notTennis World Tour 2 is a tennis game for people who like tennis, there is no denying this. It does little in terms of innovation and drawing in a crowd of new fans. Don’t get me wrong, Tennis World Tour 2 is a good tennis game, but I feel its lack of innovation will see it in bargain bins fairly soon, and better games were around on the Sega Dreamcast 20 years ago. I personally do not like football, but I do enjoy playing FIFA for a few hours with friends on occasion. If they could somehow tap into that formula to draw in a new audience, then they might be onto something. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 12, 2020
    There's quite a lot of content here, though just one out of four Grand Slam titles is hard to swallow. As you start playing, however, you'll find that there's a lot more wrong with this game. The clunky controls never give you the feeling that you're actually in control of what you're doing, while the severely mediocre graphics are only passable from a distance. Shame.
  2. Oct 11, 2020
    And yet another lackluster Tennis game. A lot of stars are playable, but the presentation is stiff and the mechanics are almost like the players are on rails.
  3. Oct 9, 2020
    Tennis World Tour 2 offers rich content and lots of licensed athletes; however, the game has a steep learning curve that, along with its technical issues, make it suitable strictly for fans of the genre.