8.5

1. Oct 13, 2017
    That's a very good second entrance from Tango we got here.

I've just beaten the game in Nightmare and I was overall delighted with the way the game handles its new orientation. It has an interesting way of delivering its core elements to the player. The whole game is taking place in the city of Union, pivotal place giving off plenty of room for exploration through semi-open areas.
    That's a very good second entrance from Tango we got here.

The whole game is taking place in the city of Union, pivotal place giving off plenty of room for exploration through semi-open areas. The game design is thought in such a way that you alternate between narrow places focusing on frenzied chase scenes and more open scenery prone to exploration. As far as I'm concerned the parts unfolding "inside" were the most thrilling as it's mainly during those closed sequences that the real survival/horrific touch springs. I recommend playing in Nightmare because the challenge is present and also because the game design choices won't make you feel uncomfortable or frustrated in any way. If you plan your escape properly relying on infiltration (you'll have to do so in Nightmare, trust me) the outcome will be rewarding because you'll save bullets and also sweat a lot from time to time for fear of getting your head topped off - some death scenes are horrendously graphic, good thing in a TEW game. While sometimes you'll be forced to run as fast as you can, you'll also have to bring out the big underloaded guns so as to make heads fall off. Given that ammunition is more a of rare commodity in this mode (though the lack never turns out to be an artificial attempt to spice up the global challenge if you thoroughly search your surroundings) shooting at enemies will always require a good aim just as did the first episode and this is an important element when it comes to inducing anxiousness. The game itself is not as terrifying as an Amnesia or Outlast primarily because of this alternation between the inside and the outside - the outside being thought as a way to take a breather between two insane sequences.

The atmosphere is absolutely riveting and spine-tiggling. Both the pretty graphics (especially on PC) and FX sounds are the root of this result. A lot of questions find answers and the scenario more personal this time is very pleasant to follow. I find it good that the developers put Sebastian in the center of the plot this time. It was high time they set him forth. He's a lot more well written than before, giving rise to a more human, touching and sensitive figure. Big up to Stefano Valentini who is to my mind the best-rendered ingame antagonist alongside Obscura.

Good Points :
    - Well-written story
    - Stefano Valentini has a great fu*ked up personality
    - Pretty-looking (especially on PC)
    - More accurate aiming system than in the first
    - Shooting, running and stealth scenes feel good
    - Awesome bestiary chara design, gruesomely beautiful enemies (Well Sebastian's definitely a classy detective)
    - Quite lengthy for such a game (20h)
    - Smartly implemented crafting system
    - The bosses (Stefano)
    - Clearer story
    - Alternations inside/outside, a good idea...

Negative points :
    - ...resulting in a less blistering terror pace
    - Rigid animations (movements)
    - Minor collision bugs

This game doesn't revolutionize anything but the execution of its mechanics is indubitably qualitative. We get to delve into a hellacious story with many strong points one should definitely consider experiencing. Do not expect this game to turn your blood into ice like Outlast or Amnesia because it's not as terrifying (neither was the first game btw) but do expect however a wacko journey that will have you venture into a twisted and impressively well rendered mad world where rationalism seems to be an intruder. A really good experience. If you loved the first iteration of the series and are fond of singular survival-horror experiences, you definitely should consider giving TEW 2 a try.
  2. Oct 13, 2017
    this game is big improvement about anything
    the graphic are amazing, game-play improves very well, great story, awesome characters, challenging boss fights and many more
    i highly recommend this game to buy it
  3. Oct 13, 2017
    Really good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game and love this kind of genre in general. Firstly, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous! A few critics had commented that the graphics had regressed in some way, but I have absolutely no idea what they're on about, the graphics are seriously great. As for the gameplay, it's bags ofReally good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game and love this kind of genre in general. Firstly, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous! A few critics had commented that the graphics had regressed in some way, but I have absolutely no idea what they're on about, the graphics are seriously great. As for the gameplay, it's bags of fun, it's like a combination of the first evil within with silent hill 2 and also the last of us (in terms of stealthing about a semi-open world scavenging for decent loot and either sneaking past enemies or taking them on) the atmosphere is very tense in a fun way, much like resident evil 7 in that sense, it's tense... but not that paralysing dread that you get from the first game, which isn't a bad thing in this game, it's just different (but still good). The atmosphere also loosens up just slightly when you explore around which is cool so you can look around without crapping your pants, but they do a good job of building up to the next inevitable big horror moment, and also jump scares will get you at irregular intervals, which are pretty well done. Really good game and looking forward to getting back on it later on. An absolute must play for horror fans. Expand
  4. Oct 13, 2017
    Wow, this game is amazing and incredible horror game ever i playing.. graphic is great, gameplay is great and fun with stealth to kill enemies.. story is interesting between Seb, Lily, Juli and other characters.. crafting weapons is fun.
  5. Oct 13, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 is a slightly above average horror game with pretty looking graphics. It came out almost like a brand new title rather than following the path of the original game. It sacrificed a lot of its original concepts from the prequel to appeal to wider audiences. Even though EW1 is my favorite, I won't bash EW2 with negativity since there are people who might enjoy or prefer theThe Evil Within 2 is a slightly above average horror game with pretty looking graphics. It came out almost like a brand new title rather than following the path of the original game. It sacrificed a lot of its original concepts from the prequel to appeal to wider audiences. Even though EW1 is my favorite, I won't bash EW2 with negativity since there are people who might enjoy or prefer the sequel.

EW2 is not directed by Mikami rather by Johanas (he directed EW1 DLC). A new director means a new perspective. He overhauled over 80% of the original design and installed his own new ideas. He made EW2 a semi-open world game which completely changed the identity of the game. He emphasized it more on the story than on the action (combat). Story wise, EW2 is a lot less puzzling (linear) and a lot more drama compared to EW1. EW2 feels like many different games combined. It includes games like Fallout series, a hint of Silent Hill, a touch of Resident Evil, a lot of Dead Space, and obviously The Last of Us.

At the end of the day, Bethesda is a business. Their business is selling video games. In order to sell more copies of EW2, they have to listen to previous complaints while also expanding their target audiences. EW1 wasn't a failure but its original concept only appeals to certain group of people (that includes me). You can read more in-depth explanation by Shinji Mikami and search for “The Evil Within 2 Doesn't Want To 'Suffocate' You With Horror Elements”.

If you loved the first game and looking for a faithful continuation, you might want to wait for sales to pick up EW2 considering it shares very little resemblance to EW1 (though if you just want to have fun definitely go for it). If you didn't like EW1, you should go buy EW2. If you never play Evil Within before, I suggest you start with EW2 since it has easier to digest story, far more forgiving to play (in terms of difficulties), and has updated graphics.
  6. Oct 13, 2017
    um dos melhores jogos de survivor horror na minha opinião, referente ao primeiro jogo ele foi muito melhorado e teve adições excelente como fazer munições , o mundo não tão linear quando ao seu antecessor e inimigos memoráveis. the evil within 2 eu super recomendo para quem gosta de survivor horror, vida longa a essa franquia.
  7. Oct 13, 2017
    Really good game, I was slightly worried when I saw the critics meta score yesterday as I loved the first game, The Evil Within 2 is a slightly above average horror game with pretty looking graphics
  8. Apr 18, 2019
    Nothing really to say except its boring as hell, open world stuff sucks, story is terrible , terrible pointless side quests, opening was fairly good tho ill give it that
  9. Mar 29, 2018
    Broken stealth, broken dynamic with repetative open areas, stupid 'cliche' story and changed characters, boring bosses, meh entourage - lost it's roots almost completely. What a shame, first game was pretty good survival horror.
  10. Sep 26, 2018
    Deutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. RegelnDeutsche Review - Kritik Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden? Dann sind hier meine Punkte. Mein persönlicher Score = 93/100 Mein User Score = 9/10 Expand
  11. Jan 18, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story its a bit boring. Has a lot of bugs and glitches. The evil within 1 its much better than 2. More horror style.
    TEW 2 yes, has great graphics. But... its boring.
  12. Jan 20, 2018
    La única pega que le pongo es que esperaba algo de Ruvik. No hay un villano como tal salvo Mobius y el rollo empresa conspiratoria está ya muy visto, la verdad (Abstergo, Umbrella). El resto del videojuego es una pasada, aunque me esperaba algo más sorprendente. Se ha causalizado, lo cual no quiere decir que sea un problema. Al menos los fps son estables, no como su antecesor
  13. May 18, 2020
    A worthy follow to an already amazing game. The evil within 2 is so good it makes the the first one good aswell its a beautiful survival horror game.
  14. Oct 12, 2018
    I really enjoyed The Evil Within 2 and despite its numerous flaws, it is one of the better games in the horror genre available in recent years. I don't like boiling games down to analogies like this but this game is like a solid middle ground between Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill 2; it is a cheesy and over-the-top zombie thriller like the former, with its stand-out terrifying momentsI really enjoyed The Evil Within 2 and despite its numerous flaws, it is one of the better games in the horror genre available in recent years. I don't like boiling games down to analogies like this but this game is like a solid middle ground between Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill 2; it is a cheesy and over-the-top zombie thriller like the former, with its stand-out terrifying moments firmly within the body horror/psychological trauma field of the latter. The dichotomy is sometimes a bit jarring, as the contrast between the horror styles isn't flowing, but within the context of the nightmare scenario carrying on from the original game, it kind of works.

The story is ridiculous to say the least but again, it works. Dialogue, plot twists and character development are all extremely cliche, but instead of being offputting, this will be a nice hark to the awful/amazing original Resident Evils and makes it all seem as overblown as it tries to be. The base story is a little boring at points, and the mythology of the STEM machine (a sub-plot) is far more interesting. All the characters, including Sebastian and the antagonists, are dull and uninteresting. Just don't be expecting groundbreaking emotional plotlines or interactions.

Thankfully, gameplay is fun. The open world approach seems weird for a horror game but it is executed brilliantly, and I'd love to see more genre game follow in its tracks. Exploring the city of Union on your own, finding ammo and collectibles, taking on optional fights and gathering info on this deteriorating world was a delight. Blank-slate Sebastian is as happy to meander along as we are, it seems! The controls are OK - I had trouble with cover mechanics and sometimes fights are clumsy, ending with you dying by no fault of your own. Upgrades and skills are unbalanced but functional. Overall, it is a perfectly playable and often exhilarating. Setpieces are really well done, especially the highlight of the entire game for me, the encounters with the Anima. These stealth sections involve escaping an unkillable floating Onryō (think Ringu/The Grudge) who whispers, cries, giggles and groans THROUGH YOUR CONTROLLER MIC. These bits sent shivers down my spine within an otherwise very mildly scary game. In this sense, the Silent Hill-like sections are stand-out for me within the cooky, fun Resident Evil overworld. Sadly, I encountered three separate totally debilitating bugs/freezes in the game which is pretty poor considering all the updates installed on to the app. I need to remove marks for this. The graphics are decent, with lighting playing a huge part in all scenarios. Sound design is great and disgusting - slimy, oozy groans echo throughout Union and sound cues help massively in survival.

Ultimately, this is a very fun game that I'd highly recommend to anyone fond of late 90s/early 2000 PS1/PS2 japanese horror, which I'd say is a lot of people. Its bugs, patchy story pacing, gameplay niggles and (in my opinion) poorer 'zombie' sections prevent it from reaching Resident Evil 7 level of success, but it is a creative, beautiful-looking and sporadically bone-chilling experience well above many of it peers.
  15. Jun 23, 2018
    It an OK game the game play is a improvement from EW1 but the story & Monsters well not that good to me the whole MATRIX/the cell idea don't work for me well the idea going in someone mine isn't scary because you it not real it all a dreamworld horror to me work if it in real world like the Suffering,silent hill DOOM 3,Forbidden Siren & other that are supernaturals horror I know to wellIt an OK game the game play is a improvement from EW1 but the story & Monsters well not that good to me the whole MATRIX/the cell idea don't work for me well the idea going in someone mine isn't scary because you it not real it all a dreamworld horror to me work if it in real world like the Suffering,silent hill DOOM 3,Forbidden Siren & other that are supernaturals horror I know to well like what H. P. Lovecraft say the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown speaking of silent hill the saving your daughter is not original & well sexist like why can't it be an son?
    the Monsters well not interested The Lost to me are Feral ghoul & if in the mine why the Monsters
    in WE2 don't have an Symbolism like Monsters in silent hill & cry of fear do?
    Im not saying don't buy I what to say what I think about it & it OK jut OK.
  16. Apr 13, 2018
    the evil within 2 jogo com uma historia mais consistente que o primeiro titulo! mais variedade de exploração personagem esta mais determinado do que no primeiro titulo pois agora tem um grande incentivo para isso! gráficos lindíssimos e cenários criativos e deferentes entre sí! trilha sonora épica que combina com enredo! PERFEITO!!!!
  17. Sep 29, 2018
    Some nice atmosphere and some fine visual scares, but overall nothing we haven't seen from other games, and especially sci-fi and horror movies (not only japanese). Thank god it's easier to play than the first game, but the unbalanced story and gameplay become very dragged out, especially towards the end. The graphics are average for a 2017 game. The main character is tooooo familiar (a laSome nice atmosphere and some fine visual scares, but overall nothing we haven't seen from other games, and especially sci-fi and horror movies (not only japanese). Thank god it's easier to play than the first game, but the unbalanced story and gameplay become very dragged out, especially towards the end. The graphics are average for a 2017 game. The main character is tooooo familiar (a la Last of Us + Just Cause 3 + well, all rugged male characters...) to become lovable. Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2018
    A step in the right direction. A sequel can be done right with the right amount of effort and be made in such great fashion. The Evil Within 2 has improved the wrong parts and made the game more fun and scary. I was actually scared and shocked at many parts, especially that freaky multi head monster. Now, I love the open world aspect. So much exploration and hidden secrets to find,A step in the right direction. A sequel can be done right with the right amount of effort and be made in such great fashion. The Evil Within 2 has improved the wrong parts and made the game more fun and scary. I was actually scared and shocked at many parts, especially that freaky multi head monster. Now, I love the open world aspect. So much exploration and hidden secrets to find, goodies to earn, THAT was a great idea for a sequel, if they make a third one, they need to keep the open world exploration function, but keep it guessing for players, as in to make all the nooks and crannies unpredictable surprises. I also love that you carry more bottles and it has multi functions and upgrades to use them, like smashing them in enemies faces to break free of their grip, and save your health in the process. I have to say this is a worthy sequel and its fantastic from beginning to end. I hope there is future DLC that improve the story more, I also like the FPS mode for those who enjoy seeing the monsters up close and personal. The only thing missing is those invisible enemies, I have to say they would have been more creative in this game and chances to scare the players one more time. Expand
  19. Oct 2, 2018
    Absolutamente recomendable para cualquier amante del survival horror de la vieja escuela.
    Una gran alternativa a la decepcionante entrega que hizo Capcom con "Resident Evil 7", una historia entretenida, graficos excelentes, jugabilidad buena, variedad de armas y enemigos, un modo de difilcutad clasico totalmente rejugable y desafiante.
  20. Nov 24, 2018
    The Master Shinji Mikami and John Johanas has made a great terror game for the second time we have the best
  21. Aug 1, 2019
    I bought the first part of the evil within on ps3 and ps4 in both the digital and disk versions. I bought the second part of the evil within 2 on ps4 in both the digital and disk versions. passed the game many times on all difficulties and periodically re-pass! in my opinion this is a masterpiece !! thanks tango and look forward to continuing)!
  22. Nov 8, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 is a great sequel to the first The Evil Within. If your a fan of the original than you'll enjoy this one and people that want to jump into this one without playing the first one can definitely do so as it does a great job of explaining the people and what's going on.

The game has a mix of small open world and linear gameplay but it transitions well and doesn't feel awkward. The game plays nice and there wasn't any major bugs or glitches that hinder the game so the game felt really polished. Part of the reason I'm giving it an 8 and not higher is because this game feels less scary than the first one mostly because of the open world. It's not that scary being chased by a monster when you got a big place to run around in. However the game does have it's moments of scares.

One thing that I liked about The Evil Within 2 compared to the first one is the better story. The last one was good but you were confused throughout the whole game on what's going on and at the end you were left wondering what were the ties between the protagonist and the people inside STEM. In this one, the story ties everything together nicely. You find out why you were the one to be affected by the events and why you go back in and your ties to the other characters in the game like Kidman.

The game was pretty lengthy. It took me about 20 hours of playing in regular mode and thoroughly searching the area for hidden objects to beat the game (and I didn't even find everything). There is new game plus after you beat it to keep playing with all your inventory from the previous save. I would recommend that if your a veteran of the series and horror games in general to play in harder difficulty as normal just felt easy.

There is also stealth in the game. You can hide from enemies and even do stealth kills. This actually ended up being my main method of taken down the regular baddies since It conserves ammo. The stealth is done really well and you don't feel screwed were your attempting to sneak up on an enemy and they just turn around and spot you for no reason.

Overall I feel this is a solid game for the money. The story is interesting and the game lengthy enough to warrant the full price. The game feels nicely polished and the graphics are really good.
  23. Dec 1, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 feels like an homage to bad/mediocre 2006 horror movies. The writing in the first 3 chapters is some of the cringiest dialogue I have ever heard in the last few years of gaming. They force characters on you, but give no reason to actually care about them. Sebastian is the typical "hard-ass, ex-cop, take no **** character, but if it was played by Tom Wiseau. The enemiesThe Evil Within 2 feels like an homage to bad/mediocre 2006 horror movies. The writing in the first 3 chapters is some of the cringiest dialogue I have ever heard in the last few years of gaming. They force characters on you, but give no reason to actually care about them. Sebastian is the typical "hard-ass, ex-cop, take no **** character, but if it was played by Tom Wiseau. The enemies are typical, the story is typical, the writing is typical, and the mechanics are typical. The only place where The Evil Within 2 shines is there set designs. The level creation is actually really cool. The way levels shift and change after panning the camera around creates an eerie effect that really adsorbs you into this world, but this effect is instantly ruined by a cheeky one-liner from the protagonist. 4/10 Expand
  24. Jan 1, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As far as zombie games are concerned this game was everything a fan could expect. Story was interesting, the cinematics were amazing, and the game mechanics were pretty fluid for the most part. The mid game gets a little bit trickier but nothing that is unbearable for frequent survival game players. The skill tree makes a pretty noticeable difference on the gameplay that Sebastian follows throughout the 22 hour journey. Frequent rewards for zombie killing and gel collecting keep the game refreshing. There are also some great boss battles to look forward to. Without spoiling too much no too boss battles are that similar. Nothing repetitive about these encounters in the slightest. Expand
  25. Nov 7, 2017
    I can't believe this game even exist. It's truly masterpiece and i am so angry that people prefer to buy **** "orc-game" with loot crates instead of this rare gem. If you want good games like this one in future you must buy Evil Within 2 right now. God, i hope someday i will get game like this again. Evil Within 2 it's like one in lifetime event.
  26. Mar 3, 2018
    This game is just amazing! The narration is so much better than the first opus, graphically, the game has evolved a lot. Many improvements that will have paid off. I highly recommend this game!
  27. Nov 5, 2017
    I have been a survival horror fan since Resident Evil 2. Evil within has exceeded my expectations, this is similar to last of us and resident evil 4 and if you are a fan of survival horror boot this game up and play nightmare awesome experience.
  28. Oct 13, 2017
    The first game was a goofy over the top romp through pools of blood, huge guys with chainsaws and a creepy spider chick that just won't effing die. It was sloppy, it wasn't particularly scary outside of some jump scares but it was more about just wading waist deep in pools of gore and dead bodies.

The second one is much tighter, cleaner and more focused on what it is, a spiritual successor to the old resident evil/silent hill type of survival horror games. The first game had the shifting world, since it was all a construct of the collective unconscious. This one so far makes use of that in MUCH better ways. Something will catch your eye, for example very early on there is a large painting of a door on the wall, the room is covered in ribbons and you walk up to the painting because the lights are on it, it is the center of focus in the room, you expect something to pop out at you from the painting but instead as soon as you get close enough, the world behind you changes and suddenly the exact same door that is in the painting appears right behind you. If you look around the side of the where the door is, there is nothing behind it but when you open the door and walk through it takes you somewhere totally different with a vivid slow motion artistic rendering of one of the mobius team members you're searching for being shot in the head. The scene repeats itself over and over, the man just keeps getting shot in the head, leaving a spray blood in the air and slowly falling backwards til suddenly it all repeats.

My point is - the game will mess with you. Nothing is what it seems, the world around you constantly shifts, at least in these more scripted parts. The first game did this as well, but this iteration does it with MUCH more finesse. The photographer who is setting up these tableaux of people at the moment of death is creepy as hell, teleporting around appearing from nowhere making the world change around you. The monster that he sends to greet you is over the top insane made from cobbled together bodies and a circular saw. So the slasher movie aesthetic is definitely still there, but again it is MUCH more refined. Less just about raw gore and being grotesque for the sake of being grotesque.

Once you get into the meat of the game it becomes a very solid survival horror game, complete with a variety of weapons, tactics, abilities. The meat of it is very solid. Underneath all the mindbending weirdness is a robust game. I enjoyed the first one for what it was but it never really achieved its full potential. The more open world approach is really fun, you get to pick from door A, B, C, D or E and whichever one you pick you know there will be something crazy going on inside and that it will likely end with you being swarmed by monsters.

They've also done a MUCH better job with sebastian in this game. In the first, i didn't care about him as a protagonist at all. I didnt care about his wife or his daughter. The only hint you had that they even existed was some randomly scattered journals that you would find by mirrors that would give you a bit of boring backstory. They had a kid she died blah blah blah who cares.

This game, instead of just being gruff and gravelly sebastian has much more personality, he interacts with other characters and even if its a bit cliche he is searching for his daughter who he thought was dead, you actually see and hear the daughter which makes her more real as a character. The plot itself isn't amazing but the world it takes place in definitely is.

Is this a 10/10 game? No. But it is very good. It is worth the 60$ price tag if you like survival horror at all, This and resident evil biohazard will probably be the best survival horror games of the last 4 to 5 years (maybe alien isolation). Im giving it a 9, not that it really matters user scores are so subjective people find one flaw with a game and give it a 0, do not play, worst game ever or fanboys just blindly throw 10's willingly overlooking actual flaws.

But honestly this is a very solid game, if you like the genre do buy it. You will not regret it. If you played the first one and weren't impressed, i was too. I enjoyed it but it was pretty meh overall. This game improves on pretty much every aspect of the first. Do yourself a favor and give Evil Within another shot. This one is worth playing.
  29. Oct 17, 2017
    Average score 7.6 ??
    Are you fkn kidding me?
    These game-review websites are funded by big corporations to piss on smaller game companies, this will affect sales and future titles of these companies. Eventually they will be forced to merge into larger game companies, it's a tactic to get rid of the competition. Don't be fooled by these poor reviews. The Evil Within 2 is just as
    Average score 7.6 ??
    Are you fkn kidding me?

Don't be fooled by these poor reviews.

The Evil Within 2 is just as good as Resident Evil 4.

And i'm honestly having allot more fun with this game than i had with ''The Last of Us''.
    It might be a matter of taste, but this game really doesn't deserve such a LOW score.

I got Platinum for The Evil Within 1, and i intend to get it for this one aswell.

I would never be able to do that if the game was bad/average or boring.
  30. Oct 14, 2017
    Brilliant game. This is the Resident Evil Capcom cant make anymore.

Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Atmosphere, Story, Voice Acting all Top Notch!

If you like Survival Horror or Resident Evil this is a MUST BUY:
  31. Oct 13, 2017
    Great gameplay, good atmosphere, and a couple of scares make this game a solid purchase for those who are craving a good survival horror experience. If you liked EW1 then you will def like this as well.
  32. Oct 14, 2017
    This is an incredible sequel to the first and shows that the developers have really improved not only with the graphics but the level and a.i. design too and of course the main story is great as well as the return of two characters and the introduction of a few others. Like with the first game this is obviously a horror survival game meaning you can't just run into a horse of enemies andThis is an incredible sequel to the first and shows that the developers have really improved not only with the graphics but the level and a.i. design too and of course the main story is great as well as the return of two characters and the introduction of a few others. Like with the first game this is obviously a horror survival game meaning you can't just run into a horse of enemies and take them on with a bottle and pistol whip them as that will pretty much be game over and a second thought and planning on what you need to do. Some gamers aren't a fan of that and so if you're not a fan of that type of gaming aspect then sadly this game isn't for you but with some of its new upgrade features I'd say give it a try as you might like it more then you think as now with the mentioned features you can not only upgrade your characters abilities like more health/damage/stamina but now can upgrade weapons to be more powerful and effective as well as a few other kinks like smoke bombs and such.
    The enemies you'll encounter are imaginative and terrifying just like the first game and showing the creative minds the game developers had in making these creatures and you'll also run into a few megalomaniacs who have been warped by their ideals and perverse natures in the virtual world Sebastian and others find themselves trapped in. This game is a great release both with how entertaining it is but also with it being the month of Halloween it's a game you can play to keep you entertained and terrified this October 31st when the ghouls,ghosts and goblins walk our streets this Halloween night.
  33. Oct 13, 2017
    I love most of these scary type games. Will try to keep this and not reveal anything if you're planning on getting it. To me though, this game is a cross between resident evil and silent hill. The graphics are about resident evil 7, some scenes look better then others, but nothing state of the art. lots of gore and blood. Gameplay seems to be too scripted sometimes, but enough scares toI love most of these scary type games. Will try to keep this and not reveal anything if you're planning on getting it. To me though, this game is a cross between resident evil and silent hill. The graphics are about resident evil 7, some scenes look better then others, but nothing state of the art. lots of gore and blood. Gameplay seems to be too scripted sometimes, but enough scares to keep it interesting! Expand
  34. Oct 13, 2017
    Toda a ambientação direção de arte e som desse jogo estão incríveis alem do clima de terror muito bem feito. Além da Historia que tambem esta muito boa. Esse jogo é um grande salto de qualidade comparado como 1 the evil within
  35. Oct 14, 2017
    REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND THE 0 this game is ttotall new from the first one everything haa changed for the best if you dont notice that you must have problem with your eyes... The fire system cover upgrade and the fact its a n open world creature has changed to EVERYTHINGS
  36. Oct 25, 2017
    The evil within gives you just enough of everything to keep you hooked,.. exploration, crafting and combat options. but doesn't master anything. its the jack of all trades Master of none horror title. a bit of silent hill, meets a bit of Last of us. Bit of resi evil here, a bit of nightmare on elm street there.

the game is pretty enough for a 2017 title, but not the best we've seen.

the game is pretty enough for a 2017 title, but not the best we've seen. enemies aren't that diverse either - zombie things, then bigger zombie things and then crawling zombie things....you get the point. When your character runs around there is a lack of animations on the character in terms of his body movement and turning, but that could be just me being petty cause I've played too much uncharted. But if you've played uncharted 4 or lost legacy you will know what I mean by "movement and animations".

Combat is the best bit, good weapon choices and upgrades and stealth options gives plenty of variety and the menus , changing crossbow bolts and figuring things out is a dream.

Story is ok, not that far into it yet. alcoholic John Wick trying to find his daughter (Keanu Reeves to play Sebastian in the movie?) couple of interesting points, but lacks the quality of storytelling and dramatic voiceover/acting that you get from other games. and with it being his 2nd run into STEM he seems pretty stupid. He talks like everything is new to him and feels very B movie.

Not that scary, but im fine with that, creepy music and a few jump scares to make you tense is enough for me. I don't like it when I dread going round each corner expecting to have a heart attack. This is just enough dosage.

Overall a 8, because its a solid game ,with plenty of variety that gives you enough of everything to keep you entertained, but isn't particularly special in any department.
  37. Oct 18, 2017
    I liked the game a lot, however first one was much much scarier and harder too... Also I think it was a mistake to extend Sebastian's story it is just silly that his daughter is back from the dead... Another thing worth noting is that 2nd part feels much more like silent hill 2 or 3 than first part of Evil Within... Still a good game
  38. Oct 13, 2017
    this game is god damn fantastic game ever i playing.. Great job Tango Gamework.. please make part 3 with upgrade engine is Id Tech 6.. graphic is beautiful and fantastic.. atmosphere and environments look great.. Enemies are sometimes bad like they run around me while i aiming and run around behind him.. story is very interesting
  39. Oct 14, 2017
    A very different game compared to the original but its an improvement overall. The sandbox style gameplay gives players more thrilling gameplay as exploration may either yield in rewards such as loot or to their impending doom in the form of terrifying creatures that inhabit Union City. The game's excellent in setting up the horrific atmosphere with shap lighting and great audio design.A very different game compared to the original but its an improvement overall. The sandbox style gameplay gives players more thrilling gameplay as exploration may either yield in rewards such as loot or to their impending doom in the form of terrifying creatures that inhabit Union City. The game's excellent in setting up the horrific atmosphere with shap lighting and great audio design. It's not a game for everyone but definitely a GOTY candidate for me. Expand
  40. Oct 14, 2017
    What a sequel! I first wanna say I did enjoy the first game and I thought it wasn't well received as I thought it should have been, but they improved it in almost every way they possibly could, and it seems the common consensus with people they agree with me. The combat is finely tuned and the moment to moment gameplay feels a lot more satisfying. The open map is really awesome too and itWhat a sequel! I first wanna say I did enjoy the first game and I thought it wasn't well received as I thought it should have been, but they improved it in almost every way they possibly could, and it seems the common consensus with people they agree with me. The combat is finely tuned and the moment to moment gameplay feels a lot more satisfying. The open map is really awesome too and it lets you roam around the area and explore the mini maps you are in. The story is good as was the first one. I feel that the last one had a stronger story, but it was hidden behind some poor choices in the game. This one still has a strong one, but it was a little more conventional, which is fine since people were a little confused with the last one. Him going back into STEM trying to save his lost daughter did bring a little more of an emotional depth for the story. Now where I think where the game lacks is the Villain(s). They are interesting especially the Artist, but with at least him that's kinda all we got about him, But he did make for an interesting villain, just not as strong as Ruvik. The game is broken up in 17 chapters and the first 8 are completely different from the last 9. Some might not like the change of pace, but for me I didn't mind it. All in all a great sequel and a worthwhile time. You will probably complete the game in roughly 13-15HRS by doing story alone, but I recommend playing the side missions too and listening to logs and memories, which will add on another 5 hours. Expand
  41. Jan 13, 2018
    What happened to that game? First part was almost perfect game. All great atmosphere from first game is gone. Gameplay try to copy The Last Of Us, but it's not even close. Overall, it's not Evil Within sequel as we expected. And in top of all, you fight 2-3 bosses whole game all over again.
  42. Feb 17, 2018
    Very SUX game

evil within 1 is Best Game of 2014
    But evil within 2 is almost worst games at 2017

no horror no mise en scène
    and WTF open World??
    Resident evil series is not GTA
    japanese TPS game dont need Open World
    i think reason of why evil within 2 SUX
    Cos of Director
    Come Back Mikami Plz!
  43. Oct 19, 2017
    Sorry Metro Game Central, but you and I clearly didn't play the same game.
    This is a vast improvement over an already valid game, which manages to enrich every aspect of the previous installment while providing new and exciting twists.
    Sorry Metro Game Central, but you and I clearly didn't play the same game.
    The gameplay is a winning combination of stealth, exploration, combat, puzzles and crafting, the writing - while not always perfect - makes a great pair with editing and voice acting. The overall game design and artistic direction are great, the soundtrack ranges from moving to epic, and don't make me start about the ending... one of the most satisfactory conclusions in years.
    Thanks to a great game direction, The Evil Within 2 shines on its own (while providing answers for the questions left open by its predecessor) and turns out to be the biggest surprise of 2017 so far, along with NieR: Automata.
    Do a favor to the quality games industry and buy it now.
  44. Oct 17, 2017
    This one caught me by surprise, it`s a really great experience! At first, after playing the first chapters, I wasn`t sure what to think about it because the tone and the pacing are different to its` predecessor. But it`s a game that grows and grows. It has a thrilling story, nice atmosphere and highly entertaining gunplay.
  45. Oct 16, 2017
    Evil Within 2 is fantastic, pure and simple. As a fan of the first, this game improves on greatness. Much more depth, with upgrading, and ammo crafting. Large, open areas to explore, including many buildings as well as outdoor environments. Great, dark atmosphere. Varying enemies, with various strengths and weaknesses. Fun character interaction. After being out and about, its always soEvil Within 2 is fantastic, pure and simple. As a fan of the first, this game improves on greatness. Much more depth, with upgrading, and ammo crafting. Large, open areas to explore, including many buildings as well as outdoor environments. Great, dark atmosphere. Varying enemies, with various strengths and weaknesses. Fun character interaction. After being out and about, its always so nice to return to safe houses offering various benefits. The story builds on the first, which, if you played the Kidman 2 part dlc, you know the revelations that made it so, so good. Sebastian Castellanos is such a great, and favorite character of mine.
    Shinji Mikami does not disappoint. The man is just great at what he does. I feel this game is the culmination of every game Mikami has worked on in his career. This (and the first one, honestly ), are the pinnacle of his work. As a survival horror fan, this game is brilliant, and at the top of my game of the year list, alongside the likes of Nioh, Breath of the Wild, Hellblade, and Persona 5.
  46. Jan 7, 2018
    The Evil Within was difficult to score. It was unevenly paced, had too many parts that were a tad too frustrating, some areas went on for too long and outstayed their welcome, the difficulty was all over the place – and let's not even talk about its protagonist who was slower than a turtle on Prozac, had the constitution of a spry 90 year old and controlled like a tank with gearbox damage.The Evil Within was difficult to score. It was unevenly paced, had too many parts that were a tad too frustrating, some areas went on for too long and outstayed their welcome, the difficulty was all over the place – and let's not even talk about its protagonist who was slower than a turtle on Prozac, had the constitution of a spry 90 year old and controlled like a tank with gearbox damage. But it was incredibly inventive, original, varied and oozing with atmosphere, and that goes a long way in my book.

The sequel, however, throws everything that made the original special overboard. I don't know why John Johanas thought getting rid of a strong narrative and taking the open world approach was a good idea, or why he thought that crafting was just what this game needed. But okay, I can get on board with that – but why did this open world have to be so bafflingly boring? After the intro you end up in Union, a virtual small town that, apart from a couple of bits and pieces floating around, is entirely unremarkable. It's perfectly acceptable as a first world – but you stay there. For hours. And hours. And then a couple of hours more. You HAVE to sink some hours into it, actually, because the difficulty does have some bite, so you need to scour every corner of the whole town in search for scraps, ammo and weapon parts. But that means that you have to spend countless hours in one location that apart from some hardly imaginative exceptions could easily be confused with the real world. The enemies are – what else? – boring zombie-like creatures that come in a few variations, and that's what you get for the majority of the game.

Considering that the concept of the game, the Inception- and Matrix-inspired STEM, opens up any possibility you can think of, any location, any enemy, the severe lack of variety is the game's biggest shortcoming. Sneaking through Union doesn't feel different from a couple of minutes in The Last Of Us, only in The Last Of Us you had strong characters, a strong narrative, great controls, environments oozing with character and lots of variation. TEW2 has neither of those, just a boring town with a couple of boring houses you can enter. Everything's so terribly mundane around here. The first game bombarded you with cool ideas and took you to a great variety of locations. This one sure doesn't. I didn't even know that going in, since I'd avoided reviews, only to wonder more and more why the first world took soooooo frigging long. Turns out, that's pretty much most of the game.

Seriously, I can't comprehend how this game gets so much leniency from gamers. This is like having to stay for eight hours in Skyrim's Windhelm, or The Last Of Us' University, or Red Dead Redemption's Gaptooth Ridge, or GTA 5's Sandy Shores. Sure, every hour or two something marginally interesting happens, but it never lasts long, and you go back to your boring small town.

Oh, one more thing. If you expect a survival horror game to, you know, creep you out from time to time or make you go, "Wow, that's cool!" – yeah, no such luck here. By the time I faced the first boss, I was so bored out of my mind, I couldn't even appreciate what in a much, much better paced game would've felt commendable. If you're looking for an original experience, I'd recommend the first game which gave you more variety in its first 30 minutes than this game in its entirety.

Credit where credit is due, though: No frustrating parts the first one loved to thow at you, and the sneaking, combat and exploration can be fun – at least for half an hour. I could have given TEW2 an average rating, but since it presents itself as the first game's successor, it asks me to compare the two, and this one is so much worse in almost every respect that I just can't. An okay rental, but a really bad buy.
  47. May 31, 2018
    Some people may like this game but I personally hate it. I think that i good game needs to have good graphics, story and gameplay but this game has only good graphics. Story is boring and gameplay is hard and annoying. That is all I am gonna say.
  48. Nov 6, 2017
    So much memories for me in this game, just in the chapter 3 I see the zombies in resident evil and that's not a prob at all, walking along the street and keep searching, feeling like a return to Silent hill trip with all new story building.
    Then fighting Smoker when I only have a few bullets left (holly **** and then try to sneak kill the Witch but it's still alive and then...( surprise MF lol), then fall on the ground with 2 "Flash" Jockey. all leaf 4 dead minions but you'r not a machine gun anymore...
    The last thing in chapter really scared the **** out of me when she (may be from MaMa movie) singing the safe room song and keep looking for my every steps lol
    Still fighting...
  49. Nov 8, 2017
    Great game. I did not played the first one, just watched some trailers and a longplay. Finished it with nightmare level (my first playthrough, tried others later) and it was the right choice with more enemies/dangerous enemies. Casual and survival levels are way too easy if you are experienced with survival horror and shooting games. The game is a little better in the first chapters whenGreat game. I did not played the first one, just watched some trailers and a longplay. Finished it with nightmare level (my first playthrough, tried others later) and it was the right choice with more enemies/dangerous enemies. Casual and survival levels are way too easy if you are experienced with survival horror and shooting games. The game is a little better in the first chapters when you only have few skills opened in skill tree, later it becomes more "Sebastians ownage" with many perks and weapons. Very cool graphics, excellent music, good length (took 27 hours with nightmare) . Only minus comes from the bosses, some of them are too easy and predictable. But on the opposite side some of them are pretty hard before you find out right tactics. Open world is cool with freedom to choose your way. In the later chapters game gets more linear. Great ending also, I don't want to spoil any details about it. Expand
  50. Oct 26, 2017
    Please trust the User scores for this one - Critic score doesn't give the game enough credit.

Tense, atmospheric survival horror with a great story. A good mixture of games like Dead Space, Silent Hill 2 and The Last of Us. Relatively good crafting and upgrading system, similar to the first game but a little more fleshed out. Lots of sneaking around and saving vital resources and lots of incredibly well made psychological horror sections. Chapter 5 was a personal favourite of mine. In general, the gun combat feels weighty and satisfying, and the scares are memorable.

Without spoiling anything - I was surprised by how well fleshed out the story was by the end of the game. When the credits rolled after my 20 hours with the game, I felt a sense of accomplishment and closure. I will be playing this a second time in New Game Plus to max out my skills and weapon upgrades and hopefully find some more Key items.

If you enjoy horror, I'm sure you will love this game. Great soundtrack and sound design, chilling environments and cool enemy designs. We haven't had a good third-person horror game on the PS4 in a long time, and this is one is not to be missed.

Oh, and don't bother with melee combat (with the exception of stealth kills), it's pretty useless. This game is more about resource management and using your weapons wisely. People complaining about melee are missing the point - It's purposefully not a melee focused game. In my opinion, this makes the game more tense and gives ammo management a sense of importance.

visuals are pretty good, with some really great areas and lighting effects. For the most part, faces look good, but facial animation is weak in some parts. Mostly though, good animation. No real complaints here, it's a good looking game most of the time.

Overall, fantastic. One of my favourite games of the year. Great job and a worthy purchase!
  51. Dec 1, 2017
    A massive improvement on the first game in almost all aspects, the developers here really listened to the complaints of the first game and changed alot of what made that game terrible to better set the scene for this game. While the same super bland characters from the first game are back, they are given a bit of new life here with the way the story presents itself. Bout the only problem IA massive improvement on the first game in almost all aspects, the developers here really listened to the complaints of the first game and changed alot of what made that game terrible to better set the scene for this game. While the same super bland characters from the first game are back, they are given a bit of new life here with the way the story presents itself. Bout the only problem I had with the game was the collision detection and sometimes you'd go for a melee hit and see your character swing through them but nothing registered. It happened frequently enough to where it really caused me some problems and a few deaths because I couldn't open or a door running away from enemies. In the end though, second time is a charm for Shinji Mikami and his new crew. With the obvious reference to DLC coming, I can only hope that he can continue the success here and make a new unforgettable horror series going forwards. Expand
  52. Nov 4, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am only on chapter 7 so full disclosure there. I am trying to give this game a chance. I like the genre and overall the production quality is high and the mechanics, although pretty standard, are executed well. But here's the problem I've descended into, and one that I feared would happen. I've run out of ammunition and there aren't enough resources to replenish them. So I'm at a point in the story where I can't even engage in combat. I have ZERO of everything. What little resources there are, are not enough. Gunpowder is too scarce. Can't make a single shotgun shell. And I haven't shot my sniper rifle in 3 chapters. So the balance is off. I stumbled across this one mission I couldn't escape. The safe door as locked nearby until I finished the mission. A mobius operative was being attacked by zombies and begged me to help him. I survived the first wave with the 3 shotgun shells I had, but then another bigger wave of zombies appeared from no where. So all I could do is run around in circles while he tried to shoot them from atop a bus. Of course, the NPC has unlimited ammo. Eventually, though, he died and I had to run off. At this point in the game, it is just "sprouting" more and more enemies at you but NOT scaling the resources to build ammunition. This imbalance has left me stuck in a hole I can't get out of. All I can do is sneak around and run from things. Sure, I like stealth kills and tactics, but they are useless at this stage because too many enemies are spawned and you can't isolate a single one. At least not without investing about 30 minutes of your time and countless bottles trying to accomplish maybe one kill without alerting other enemies.

The solution to all this is glaringly simple. SAFE HOUSES SHOULD HAVE AMMO REFILL! Why even both calling it a safe house if it doesn't have resources to replenish. Who cares about the unlimited coffee they provide.

Hopefully these things get fixed. I hate to give up on a game with potential, but there's just no way to proceed.
  53. Feb 19, 2019
    is that a joke? i played this game after re revelation, re revelation 2, evil within first one, and what i got?... silly plot that start the game.. "-oh your dother with us, bring her to us -ok!" its stupid for my opinion and it's just start. And all that main idea of the game about family and other things that boring. I just want to play Evil within part 2 dammit! after game i saw thatis that a joke? i played this game after re revelation, re revelation 2, evil within first one, and what i got?... silly plot that start the game.. "-oh your dother with us, bring her to us -ok!" its stupid for my opinion and it's just start. And all that main idea of the game about family and other things that boring. I just want to play Evil within part 2 dammit! after game i saw that main director was not japanese and understand why this game not even close to the first one. Expand
  54. Nov 10, 2017
    This was my first The Evil Within experience so unlike just about everyone else on here I will not be comparing it to the first one! It was also my first proper go at survival horror as a genre. Short answer - I really, REALLY, enjoyed it....until I gave up. I played up to Chapter 9 on survival mode and found it a steep learning curve and pretty challenging at times but just aboutThis was my first The Evil Within experience so unlike just about everyone else on here I will not be comparing it to the first one! It was also my first proper go at survival horror as a genre. Short answer - I really, REALLY, enjoyed it....until I gave up. I played up to Chapter 9 on survival mode and found it a steep learning curve and pretty challenging at times but just about manageable by really taking my time and being very stealthy. And I had a blast - loved it! Then I'm very sad to say I hit a wall with several back to back sections that were totally in your face, nowhere to go, stealth not an option, and I just didn't have the ammo or the skill to power through. After dying over....and over....and over.......oh, and over....again I got too frustrated and quit. I did try and lower the difficulty to casual rather than quit but it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. As a review this may not be very relevant to most reading this but I wanted to present my experience as an inexperienced gamer who is new to the genre. I thought visually it was good, enjoyed the game play though for some reason I found the controls seriously slow and mushy in close up encounters (may be my settings?) , the story was good enough to pull me forward and all in all I think it's a very good game. Just. Too. Hard. for me. Expand
  55. Dec 6, 2017
    Much of what made this game scary at times was what wasn't there. Many times instead of just tossing blood and dead bodies everywhere the area seemed quite peaceful. Normally you would expect the usual jump scare and of course you got these at times, but some times it was something as simple as a change in scenery but now you were in a grotesque setting. The Evil Within 2 has improved fromMuch of what made this game scary at times was what wasn't there. Many times instead of just tossing blood and dead bodies everywhere the area seemed quite peaceful. Normally you would expect the usual jump scare and of course you got these at times, but some times it was something as simple as a change in scenery but now you were in a grotesque setting. The Evil Within 2 has improved from the first in every way imaginable, the graphics, the story, the controls. This game is everything a sequel should be. It changed where it needed to, but stayed the same enough that you knew what you were playing. Expand
  56. Oct 31, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 é a continuação do survival horror amado por uns e odiado por outros, The Evil Within. Dessa vez, Mikami passa o posto de diretor para John Johanas - diretor das DLC The Assignment e The Consequence.

A sensação de rever o jogo após longos 2 anos de espera é gratificante. É como um começo de namoro: tudo muito lindo e perfeito. Quando você se depara com a cidade de Union, se maravilha com o tamanho do mundo semi-aberto e as possibilidades de exploração que aquele mundo proporciona.

Em termos de narrativa, a história melhorou muito em relação ao seu antecessor. Temos aqui um Sebastian bem mais "falante" e que, agora, tem um motivo verdadeiramente importante para estar novamente no Stem: Sua filha, Lily Castellanos, que Sebastian pensava estar morta. Há uma chance de salva-lá e só Sebastian é capaz. Por isso, Juli Kidman é encarregada de encontrar Sebastian e convence-lo a entrar no Stem de novo. A trilha sonora ajuda a criar uma atmosfera ainda mais sentimental para o jogo. É outro ponto que se sobressai em comparação com o primeiro. E antes que eu me esqueça, Clair de Lune continua no jogo! E já que toquei nesse ponto, as salas de descanso são diferentes dessa vez. Agora temos um local intutulado de refugio, onde podemos melhorar nossas armas, conversar com soldados que encontramos durante o jogo, ou até mesmo tomar um café para recuperar as energias. O local de upgrade de Sebastian é da mesma forma que o primeiro jogo, com a Tatiana, a cadeira, os armários e etc. Nesse local, há também um mini game ao estilo de Resident Evil 4 para treinar suas habilidades de tiro.

A jogabilidade foi melhorada também. Dessa vez você pode correr e, mesmo gastando toda a estamina, o personagem continuará correndo, mas em menor velocidade. Controlar o Sebastian é bem agradável. Ele caminha e se cansa de maneira natural e condizente com a sua idade. Não temos um cara super dotado de habilidades ninjas, pelo contrário.

Os gráficos também tiveram um salto significativo. Não é o jogo com o melhor gráfico da geração, mas é bonito e entrega um resultado mais do que satisfatório.

Existem dois vilões no jogo. Um é um psicopata e sádico que se considera um artista incompreendido pelo mundo. O outro vilão se considera um padre e, resumidamente, tem como objetivo controlar a humanidade - um pouco clichê.

As criaturas são bem feitas no geral. E há uma boa variedade de inimigos comuns. Os bosses e semi bosses são outro destaque do jogo pois, apesar de serem poucos, são bem assustadores. Em especial um boss opcional que é uma mulher fantasma que te persegue em determinados momentos do jogo. Um descuido com ela e é hit kill!

Uma das coisas que eu senti falta foi os fósforos. Colocar fogo nos inimigos e vê-los virando cinza era algo bem divertido no primeiro.

Do mais, é um bom jogo de survival horror que mistura elementos de ação e terror e cria um jogo com um terror que cumpre o seu papel, mas que ao mesmo tempo se preocupa em apresentar uma mecânica divertida sem deixar o gameplay travado.
  57. Jan 26, 2018
    I was hesitant when the game was announced because I loved TEW1. The developers took many risks in the making of this sequel and I think most of them hit. The game story wise is less confusing than 1, and in my opinion more engaging.
    The open world system actually makes the game better, allowing the player more options to engaging their enemies. I didn't think a survival horror game like TEW would be able to sport a open world and boy was I wrong.

The game as a whole felt like a real and justified sequel, with drastic improvements on the previous title.

That being said this game does have some negatives that are easy to look over. The Bosses in this game are not as creative as the first. The character dialogue animations are honestly like PS2 era. Some upgrades are way more useful than others (with some not being that great at all). The game crashed once on me, like a typical Bethesda game usually does.

That beings said I walked out after playing this game blown away. The game adds more elements on top of the original, and truly makes you feel like it is a well deserved sequel and not just a cash grab. For fans of Survival-Horror genre, like Resident Evil and Silent Hill series, this game is a MUST play. I would recommend playing TEW1 however, although the story of 2 can be understood pretty easily without 1, there is a lot of subtle Easter eggs/ acknowledgements to the original
  58. Feb 25, 2018
    This should definitely be in the top 10 survival horror games of all time. I played Resident Evil 7 not long before I played this, and I'd say The Evil Within 2 is a far superior horror game. If you liked The Last of Us you'll almost certainly like TEW2. The gameplay and storyline are excellent, the graphics are good, and it just feels like a rollercoaster of a nightmare from start toThis should definitely be in the top 10 survival horror games of all time. I played Resident Evil 7 not long before I played this, and I'd say The Evil Within 2 is a far superior horror game. If you liked The Last of Us you'll almost certainly like TEW2. The gameplay and storyline are excellent, the graphics are good, and it just feels like a rollercoaster of a nightmare from start to finish. It's very cinematic and poignant at times, and has a movie feel to it, but with lots of challenging and brutal action to. If you like survival horror you need to buy this game. Expand
  59. Mar 11, 2018
    this game is big improvement about anything
    i highly recommend this game to buy it
  60. Mar 28, 2018
    Loved this from start to finish, not too challenging but addictive enough that you cannot wait to get back on it. Very imaginative, must have game
  61. Oct 30, 2019
    First the original game was better and its obvious bkz the original one was directed by a genius japanese And about this game. Story sucks a little. Its predictive and kind of cliche but its good enough for a horror game. Technical graphic sucks with bugs and its normal bkz the publisher is bethesda.
    Gameplay is good but it could be better. Sometimes you think sebastian is out of control. Gunplay is not good and not bad. Some times your bullet are not hit the enemy. Belive me. Specialy when you use sniper. This game designed to be scary but its not at all specialy at the second half it became whole action And the most **** dumb thing is its open world! Yes a survival horror **** open world. I really miss shinji mikami. Get back before bethesda ruin your beloved ip.
    All and all its a good game with lot of fun. But i still prefer the original one. I don know why these days every developer want to add rpg elemans and open world to their game. Plz think before do that. Some games dont need to be open world and some games dont need to be rpg! Look at ghost recon breakpoint. It sucks.
  62. Oct 15, 2017
    is hard to tell if i have the right word to explain how much impressed and satisfied i feel about this game , i was honestly expected it to be good but it seems like it is even better . reasons . i was really loving the first game although it had some issues like not the best graphics or no really great gunplay and overall poor effects in battle and everything , also i didn't think it hadis hard to tell if i have the right word to explain how much impressed and satisfied i feel about this game , i was honestly expected it to be good but it seems like it is even better . reasons . i was really loving the first game although it had some issues like not the best graphics or no really great gunplay and overall poor effects in battle and everything , also i didn't think it had the greatest environment and it had slightly of a poor design , but now it seems like everything has got fixed. now the graphics are great also the environment looks so much better and the gunplays at least two times better than the first title . but the most important thing is that the first one was more like resident evil revelations but unlike this reminds me better of the last of us which is what i love the most . it gives you more freedom to explore enter houses in the area find various materials and scrap parts , then you can craft different items and upgrade your weapons , also unlike the first one you can find more people and make some conversations which lead to submissions . cant say the last of us wasn't a great game but i think evil within 2 is just better and it is certainly the best survival horror game ever . and most likely the scariest as well Expand
  63. Oct 13, 2017
    Much better then the first game. Syoji Ishimine did his job good as in Resident Evil 7. Mix of the Last of Us, Resident Evil and The Evil Within. So it is a good game.
  64. Oct 31, 2017
    Awful dialogue. Boring gameplay forcing players to creep and grind. Frustratingly bad aiming controls on the PS4. The forst 30mins of the game are good, after that it forces you to repeat very similar dull mechanics, just to dripfeed you another tiny bit of story, again with awful dialogue. After 7 hours in I felt like I was just wasting my time.
  65. Oct 17, 2017
    All of the identity of the first game is gone! Extremely disappointing sequel. Expands on all of the wrong things, and backs down on all that which made the original great. Make no mistake, The Evil Within was very hit-or-miss with alot of players. I really enjoyed its unforgiving difficulty at times, great boss fights, and unique industrial/religious aesthetic settings. Outside ofAll of the identity of the first game is gone! Extremely disappointing sequel. Expands on all of the wrong things, and backs down on all that which made the original great. Make no mistake, The Evil Within was very hit-or-miss with alot of players. I really enjoyed its unforgiving difficulty at times, great boss fights, and unique industrial/religious aesthetic settings. Outside of technical issues, the main flaws were bad story, poor level design in the latter half, and some boring action levels.

Imagine the sequel completely ignoring all the unique things about the original, and instead opting to copy The Last of Us mixed with some pointless semi-open world ****. Aesthetic (and even gameplay) wise, this game looks so generic! Gone are the crumbling churches, rust-weathered industrial workplaces. Instead you get a very boring "open world" small town broken up into smaller equally boring levels. Its only saving grace is the "surrealism" in the same way Alan Wake promised that too. Remember much of Alan Wake? of course not, because you forgot everything about that game.

I was hesitant about hearing "open world hub world' to begin with, but I was willing to give it a try. My bias was confirmed - they managed to make it as bad and boring as MGS:V did with its open world. The original's level design is completely gone, and instead of improving on that they destroyed it in favor of boring open levels with lots of loot to find as if this is a poor man's The Last of Us. Game devs: PLEASE STOP ruining your level design with open world.

The bosses are no where near as interesting. There are a few interesting ones, but their presence doesn't carry nearly as much weight.. it's all very underwhelming.

Lastly, the gameplay is 'technically' improved, but only in the most generic of ways - this game was westernized in the worst sense - became completely devoid of identity. Western games at least tend to have good presentation, dialogue, and voice acting, and somehow they managed to make that even worse here than the original. Why did they remove matches? Some of the most satisfying fluid gameplay in the original was using a single shotgun round to knock down several enemies at once, and then light them all up with a single match. Gone. Why is there pointless, generic crafting for every resource now? The original limited it for crossbow rounds, and it made sense because it was the highlight weapon of the game. Why do the guns not have any kick whatsoever anymore?

If I were to summarize this game, it's just a poor man's The Last of Us with some occasional anime villains thrown in. I am so disappointed. The Evil Within was another survival horror title I had fun 100% completing, prior games being Dead Space 1/2, Condemned, Metro 2033. I probably will not bother revisiting this game when I'm done with it. The original was hated by alot of people, but that just meant it was uncompromising in its design. This game tries to please everyone, no doubt for more mass appeal, and just has no grasp of identity for it.
  66. Oct 16, 2017
    Very solid ACTION horror game. Veteran survival horror game fans might not be too frightened by this game however. A few scenes and enemies may unnerve you some. But otherwise remarkable. However, you are fairly new to horror games in general, it will most likely scare the f*** out of you. Very much a resident evil kind of structure with a Silent Hill kind of twist to it. Though it doesntVery solid ACTION horror game. Veteran survival horror game fans might not be too frightened by this game however. A few scenes and enemies may unnerve you some. But otherwise remarkable. However, you are fairly new to horror games in general, it will most likely scare the f*** out of you. Very much a resident evil kind of structure with a Silent Hill kind of twist to it. Though it doesnt excel in either particular area. It has its own middle ground and performs admirably.

There were a couple of sections that worried me as it made me belief the game was ending much sooner than it actually did. Thankfully, that was not the case. There is a fair amount of combat going on with the arsenal covering your basic needs. Melee, close quarters weapons, and a couple of long range for those particular situations. Enemies are grotesque and a bit unnerving in their own right as well as difficult to take down if not properly prepared.

Cinematic and audio cues are pretty on point with a couple of dips here and there as far as the mood and setting goes, but overall very well done.

If you are looking for an action horror game for the halloween month, I would highly suggest picking up this game.
  67. Oct 15, 2017
    This game deserves more praise than what it is getting at the moment. I just finished this game by spending about 20 hours in and i can tell you this is just one of the best experiences i had after a long time. Story is amazing and engaging because you always waiting for what is going to be next now.

The monsters and level design was cool also metaphorical just like old silent hills had in the past, However compared to silent hills it mostly had action moments mixed with horror elements compared to pure psychological horror which actually played in favor of this game what it tries to be.

So its an amazing treat for old school horror genre fans and i can feel it that it will turn into a great series just like silent hill and resident evil. Im glad that we have no micro transactions and providing enough content in the campaign which is worth your money. The semi open world is where the game shines the most for me and Union feels like an actual town gone to **** I highly recommend everyone to atleast give it a try and i can guarantee yous that you won't be disappointed. I would've give this game 9.5/10 but due to few flat and dull dialogues i mark a half point down.
  68. Oct 15, 2017
    Great horror sequel. As the Evil Within was a great sequel to RE4 this is a great sequel to the Evil Within. I feel in every way the game improves upon the original. The graphics are light years better, whereas the original had ps3 as a base, I can see the ps4 pro pushed to its limits. The lighting, polygons, draw distance, frame rate are all improved. The game is an open world this timeGreat horror sequel. As the Evil Within was a great sequel to RE4 this is a great sequel to the Evil Within. I feel in every way the game improves upon the original. The graphics are light years better, whereas the original had ps3 as a base, I can see the ps4 pro pushed to its limits. The lighting, polygons, draw distance, frame rate are all improved. The game is an open world this time around with side missions as well and tons of different smart ai monsters to deal with. It is long too at only 8 hours in I'm still in chapter 5. It seems almost twice as long as the original which was already a long survival horror game. The depth in weapons and story is also immense, there is so much to do I'm sure I will begin a new game plus right after. The only drawback I see is the bosses are not quite as memorable as the Keeper. However to be the first open world survival game and take the best of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alan Wake and the Evil Within itself I think it has almost created a new genre. Fun fact the original Alan Wake was supposed to be open world like this and feels like what that game may have been. Expand
  69. Oct 15, 2017
    One of the best survival horror games I've ever played, and deffinetely a contender for game of the year. I like the first game, but it had it's fair share of problems and never even got around to finishing it. This game improves on every aspect over the first. Amazing gameplay, long and more intriguing story, and big open environments to explore as you choose. So far, my personal GOTY,One of the best survival horror games I've ever played, and deffinetely a contender for game of the year. I like the first game, but it had it's fair share of problems and never even got around to finishing it. This game improves on every aspect over the first. Amazing gameplay, long and more intriguing story, and big open environments to explore as you choose. So far, my personal GOTY, and comparing it to say resident evil 7 biohazard, it's twice as fun and more of an enjoyable game. Might not be AS jump scary as re7, but overall it's the better game and something you'll enjoy more overall. Expand
  70. Oct 16, 2017
    You cannot go wrong with this title! For me Resident Evil VII was disappointing and frustrating, but The Evil Within 2 from Tango and Bethesda shows how a great survival horror game should feel!
  71. Oct 16, 2017
    I have been playing resident evil since it came out for sega saturn. Love the survival horror genre. This game does belong in the genre, but to be fair it is more " the last of us on crack" as opposed to "resident evil " style... puzzles are garbage, or it would get a 9. The graphics, voice acting all OK. My game is running on ps PRo , but lagging a bit in some areas which REALLY kills theI have been playing resident evil since it came out for sega saturn. Love the survival horror genre. This game does belong in the genre, but to be fair it is more " the last of us on crack" as opposed to "resident evil " style... puzzles are garbage, or it would get a 9. The graphics, voice acting all OK. My game is running on ps PRo , but lagging a bit in some areas which REALLY kills the tension. Overall, im happy with this, as it was needed for the Friday the 13th vibe. If this came out in any other month than october, we would probably see 7-8 scores across the board. VAST improvement over 1, which i did not bother to finish. Expand
  72. Oct 20, 2017
    If you were a really big fan of the first one.... then I can almost guarantee you will be disappointed.

Another user's review sums it up PERFECTLY: quoting him, he said: " Imagine the sequel completely ignoring all the unique things about the original, and instead opting to copy The Last of Us mixed with some pointless open world **** Aesthetic (and even gameplay) wise, this game

Another user's review sums it up PERFECTLY:

quoting him, he said:

" Imagine the sequel completely ignoring all the unique things about the original, and instead opting to copy The Last of Us mixed with some pointless open world **** Aesthetic (and even gameplay) wise, this game looks so generic! "

I won't be buying Evil Within 3 that's for sure. They killed what made the first one special. It's a shame that Evil within 1 and ALL of its DLC's were better than this game and much scarier.

1)The game is NOT scary.

2- The open world mechanics that they forced into it. Open world kinda forced them to make the whole game in one location. I would have preferred more variety and different environments just like the first title!

3- They literally copy pasted Last of Us on too many aspects. If I wanted that game, then I wouldn't have bought this one. I'd rather play evil within 1.

4- The story is more detailed in this one and less mysterious... but it's extremely corny and uninteresting.

I had waited years for Evil Within 1 to bring back survival horror. Unfortunately, for the sequel they decided to disrespect and betray the original and go back to the latest fads and kill survival horror. The game has nothing scary about it or mysterious as the original did.

90$ canadian with taxes is way too much for this mediocre cashgrab honestly.
  73. Oct 13, 2017
    the evil within 2 é o jogo de survivor horror que faltava esse ano, sem dar spoilers , mas a história é muito bem narrada, boss muito bem feito, o mundo mais amplo ficou bem legal, se você procurar itens pelo mapa vai ter surpresas legais , dublagem ótima , efeitos sonoros um coisa importante em jogos desse gênero ficou perfeito, valeu cada centavo investido nesse jogo. hoje em dia nãothe evil within 2 é o jogo de survivor horror que faltava esse ano, sem dar spoilers , mas a história é muito bem narrada, boss muito bem feito, o mundo mais amplo ficou bem legal, se você procurar itens pelo mapa vai ter surpresas legais , dublagem ótima , efeitos sonoros um coisa importante em jogos desse gênero ficou perfeito, valeu cada centavo investido nesse jogo. hoje em dia não temos mais jogos de survivor horror como antes, the evil within 2 trás isso com qualidade. Expand
  74. Oct 22, 2017
    Game that deserves more attention and more development time.....

Just finished a second entrance into Evil Within world. I enjoyed first part of the game and I should say I had hugh hopes for a sequel. But then I read that Shinji Mikami is not a gmae director this time. Mikami is just producer and he entrusted a relatevely young in industry guy to direct this part. John Johanas was a
    Game that deserves more attention and more development time.....

Just finished a second entrance into Evil Within world.
    I enjoyed first part of the game and I should say I had hugh hopes for a sequel. But then I read that Shinji Mikami is not a gmae director this time. Mikami is just producer and he entrusted a relatevely young in industry guy to direct this part. John Johanas was a director for first game's two DLC which I enjoyed a lot and loved how thier were different from main game. And also, I got doubtful about sequel because of open world insertion. After learning that about a game I got my scares.

But I should say that game exceeded my expectations in almost every way. I should even say that this is a rare contingency when open world implementation benefited a game. And I can not say that game has open world as you would expect. Is more like levels with big areas. There is just few side quests and they are not boring at all. Going to the bigger areas is govong you a sense of survival and I strongly reccomend playing a game on the highest level of difficulty. Scavenging for a ammo and other materials are so fun.

Gameplay is nice. It got some improvements but in general it is very similiar to the predecessor.
    Story is less complicated and I do appreciate that unlike the first game you can understand a whole story without playing a DLC. And I love how last chapter is made. Game is scary at times. I think the greatest fear in videogames is feeeling that you can die at any moment and this game is providing that.

Only bad thing I had is techinal issues. And I am not talking about graphics or textures poping. I talk about some freezes and gameplay glitches that affects enjoyment. I was playing on PS4 Pro btw. I think Tango needed more time to finish a game. Sometimes it feels like beta product. I am sue that they feel fix it later with patches.
    Overall great. If you love survival horror games buy it. And it feels like good residient evil 4 succesor. And there is gonna be many references to RE4.

PS When you finish a game. You unlock a cinimatic experience mode, which is letterbox effect from a first part, I am sure there is at least one guy who liked it but I think it is pretty funny to unlock it, since everyone hates it, including me.
  75. Oct 21, 2017
    I thought the first Evil Within was disappointing, whether we're talking about the poor storytelling or the dull characters or the messy gameplay, so my expectations for this sequel were not high. I'm glad I gave the series a second chance because this is a massive improvement, as well as one of my personal favorite games of the year.

It takes heavy inspirations from Silent Hill's

It takes heavy inspirations from Silent Hill's open-ended areas, combined with the stealth and crafting elements from The Last of Us. There are little issues still present from the first game like the cumbersome aiming and a couple of cheap boss fights, but the level of satisfaction after a lengthy 20 hours or so of fighting and hiding makes this a game that shouldn't be missed.

Calling all survival horror fans - play this game!
  76. Oct 19, 2017
    ATTENTION ALL THOSE WHO LOVED THE FIRST GAME AND WHO ARE HATING ON THIS!!

Actually play the game to completion before you hate on it! It isn't all running around the open world, that's just the opening chapters. The game becomes more linear later on and there is a particular boss fight that is heavily tied in with the first game that I guarantee you will appreciate.
  77. Dec 2, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 is one of the worst sequels I’ve ever played. It actually manages to be worse than its predecessor, surprisingly enough. Along with an absolutely ridiculous premise, it has some of the worst dialogue and gameplay I’ve seen in a modern survival horror/action game. The controls are frustrating enough, but every other aspect is stuck in 2005, during the heyday of theThe Evil Within 2 is one of the worst sequels I’ve ever played. It actually manages to be worse than its predecessor, surprisingly enough. Along with an absolutely ridiculous premise, it has some of the worst dialogue and gameplay I’ve seen in a modern survival horror/action game. The controls are frustrating enough, but every other aspect is stuck in 2005, during the heyday of the producer’s magnum opus, Resident Evil 4. Though Shinji Mikami only produced this game, it seems he had complete creative control, without the necessary innovation. It’s completely derivative, and lacking with any enthusiasm. The cutscenes are interesting enough, but they far outnumber the variations in gameplay. Expand
  78. Oct 15, 2017
    Shinji Mikami hit harder with this sequel. The best new iteration they could come over with. A spellbinding atmosphere is at work coupled with a more accurate gameplay. The scenario has been the target of the developers this time giving raise to a much more heady depiction of Sebastian Castellanos. Breathtaking cutscenes, more accurate aiming system and a really fair amount of content.Shinji Mikami hit harder with this sequel. The best new iteration they could come over with. A spellbinding atmosphere is at work coupled with a more accurate gameplay. The scenario has been the target of the developers this time giving raise to a much more heady depiction of Sebastian Castellanos. Breathtaking cutscenes, more accurate aiming system and a really fair amount of content. Great survial horror experience. Expand
  79. Mar 3, 2018
    i really like horrible games i am big fan of evil within but part 2 was so boring what happens to this game its awful!!!
  80. Oct 17, 2017
    My favourite game of the year. Blending Silent Hill, Resident Evil and Dying light. Great stealth and survival horror. I eagerly await The Evil Within 3!
  81. Oct 13, 2017
    Very few games suck me in and keep me playing through the day,this is one of the few. I've played about 10 hours and I'm loving it. I started playing on casual but that was way too easy,,,this games amazing.
  82. May 26, 2018
    Not a survival horror like the first one. Just a f*cking boring endles carfting and ambush zombies torture. I cant go on. This piece of sh*t made me so mad that i wont spend any more seconds in it.
  83. Oct 13, 2017
    Simply not for my tastes,we dont have something new here.And ITS NOT EVEN SCARY,only boring sections of stealth,and loot.The game tries to be a mixture of older games wtf tango where is your imagination,your fresh ideas?this game created for the kids who play resident evil 6 MEH!
  84. Oct 14, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing like the previews suggested. I expected something more ‘Silent Hill’-esque after watching them. Instead get ready for zombies with hilariously glowing red eyes. And kiddie puzzles. And the most mundane, lifeless dialogue you’ve ever heard in your life. This is a literal quote stated by the protagonist after being told his daughter is alive: “Try telling that to my brain.” Seriously? I just laughed out loud.

I loved the indoor segments, as were shown in the previews, and as was featured in the beginning chapter. I even liked the ‘villain’ character, and some of the monsters and concepts. But no way can I award this game anything higher than a generous 4. Everyone ranking it highly seems to be doing so based on it being ‘a vast improvement on the first game’. Can only imagine how cr*p that game was.

To summarise:

The Good:

1) Chapter 2 and other ‘indoor’ bits like it. The game is great at these horror mechanics, it just rarely uses these segments, instead choosing to digress into a punitive, recycled style of zombie shooting. It’s like The Last of Us but with terribly scripted characters.
    2) The story is intriguing, if not convoluted, but I’ll put this one down to not having played the first game. I liked it, I went along with it.
    3) They attempted a small ‘open-world’ which worked out well enough, opening up side quests and exploration avenues without feeling empty.

The Bad:

1) Laughably poor characterisation.
    2) Stale, predictable dialogue.
    3) Plays like ‘every zombie game ever’.
    4) Almost every jump scare turns out to be a zombie. I was hoping for more psychological concepts, like what they depicted in the previews. A zombie is about as scary as a druggie running at me with a knife…sure, I’ll fight back. But it’s in no way thrilling, it’s mind-numbing. Rinse and repeat after the second one.
    5) Don’t be fooled by the ’20 Chapters’. They’re vaguely separated, and some flash by so quickly, it’s hard to deem them independent chapters. But the game is lengthy overall, at least it felt that way given the tedium. And there are enough side quests to keep you going should you be a complete masochist.

I’m sure I just picked up this game believing it was an entirely different genre, and being let down. I’m going to try sell it and wait it out for a real horror game, but I did have to leave my opinion due to the false impression I got from the previews. I wanted to issue a caveat to any other gamers like me who might have mistaken this for something more inspiring than it was – turns out, it’s just another mindless zombie shooter.

But if you enjoyed The Last of Us or Resident Evil, by all means, pick this one up.
  85. Oct 16, 2017
    The first game was okay. Had some inconsistent difficulty issues and strange choices but some scary moments. This one just feels uninspired and derivative. Environments are on the bland side with a lot of square buildings, right angles, low res textures, and empty rooms with little detail that make the whole experience feel very last generation in design. One of the most infuriatingThe first game was okay. Had some inconsistent difficulty issues and strange choices but some scary moments. This one just feels uninspired and derivative. Environments are on the bland side with a lot of square buildings, right angles, low res textures, and empty rooms with little detail that make the whole experience feel very last generation in design. One of the most infuriating things is the main character. He survived the insanity of the first game, yet any time something weird happens, his go to response is either "what the hell?" or simply "what the?" entirely too many times. The standard zombies have a much too cartoony "roar", and then the sound for the pale bleached nurses (where have we seen those a thousand times already?) is pretty much the clickers from The Last of Us. Overall, not very scary, overly predictable, and ultimately boring. Expand
  86. Oct 15, 2017
    The Evil Within 2
    Not enough of its own thing
    The Evil within 2 a quote unquote Survival horror game where you once again play as Sebastian... This time however the story is much more personal and therefore miles better than the original as you’re out to save your daughter instead of chase after a lunatic… The story has some touching moment and is greatly told… easily the best part of
    The Evil Within 2
    Not enough of its own thing
    The story has some touching moment and is greatly told… easily the best part of this experience…
    The rest of the game though for the most part in my opinion is a step in the wrong direction…
    This game calls itself a horror game, but to me this 12 and a half hours felt more like an action 3rd person shooter zombie game with sprinkles of horror.. especially compared to the first…
    there are the occasional monsters like the first game, and there are a few really great chapters here, especially in the beginning…
    But The Evil Within 2 went more the route of an open world supply gathering stealth game than a linear puzzle solving horror game like the original..
    The makes for a really good action game... not for a very good horror games as I find zombies to be more annoying than they are scary…
    The Evil Within 2 is essentially taking Resident Evil 4, Silent Hills, The Evil Within, and The Last of Us and throwing it into a blender, but never quite being as good as any of those 4 parts…
    The first half of the game is more open worldy, where you’re in a creep town called union..
    There are side quests all around this town that will lead to creepy encounter, enemies to kill for their goo... but more importantly weapons…
    IF you want all the weapons in this game you have to actually work for them…
    I didn’t dislike this section of the game… I just could’ve definitely done without it…
    I was tense while exploring this tiny town trying my hardest to not alarm enemies, kill them for their goo get what I can and get out… go back to the safe house, upgrade my weapons with the scraps I found a round a get back out there…
    Which is where the last of us influence comes into play…
    The light crafting system here for ammo and medpacks is heavily inspired by the last of us, and you can craft items on the go, but doing so at a crafting table uses less materials, so is worth searching for..
    Speaking of the green goo...
    the nurse lady in the mirror is back to help you on your journey to save your daughter... letting you upgrade your health, combat, and stealth in a skill tree in exchange..
    You’ll also be able to take to a shooting range for rewards to help upgrade your character...
    Stealth this time around feels a little clunky to me and enemies are annoyingly unpredictable… where I found them turning around right before I was ready to get them from behind with a quick kill…
    though combat isn’t too difficult, as most will go down with a couple nice headshots, ammo seems to be pretty readily available, and you’re able to pick up axes that work as a 1 hit kill melee attack.. .though you do have a knife if you’re out of ammo or materials to craft more... which is a situation I never found myself in…
    Especially thanks to the safe houses in this game where you can stock up on a few bullets and refill your health with a cup of coffee so you can save your syringes and med packs for boss fights…
    The best part of this game is when you get back into the main storyline…
    There are a great number of characters you’ll run into, hate, and even care for…
    And some of the missions do the cool layers of fear thing where you turn around and the room is changed or there’s a door there that wasn’t there before… really creeping you out…
    Sadly these creepy moments only exist in the first half and the horror aspects completely disappear until something else happens for a brief moment that ties into the first game that I won’t spoil, but it just reminded me of the potential of this series and made me sad when the game continued and I was just back to feeling like I was Nathan drake with none of the charm having a weird nightmare…
    I was a huge fan of the original evil within until a game breaking bug stopped me from completing it…
    Thankfully the evil within 2 is much more polished and I ran into 0 bugs the whole time…
    It’s just not what I wanted from it…
    The Evil Within 2 feels like a completely different game than the original..
    It’s just lacking in the horror field... I’m tired of zombies…
    But for what it is, this is a really good action game…
    I give The Evil Within 2
    a 7.5/10
  87. May 31, 2018
    TEW2 is not worth your time or money.

Pros: realistically-modeled protagonist Cons: Myriad. The game starts poorly with the protagonist running into his burning house to try and save his doomed daughter, Lilly. Storytelling-101 reminds writers and audiences alike that you should never cold-open in the middle of a tragedy when the characters are unestablished. It turns out that this is
    TEW2 is not worth your time or money.

Pros: realistically-modeled protagonist
    Cons: Myriad. The game starts poorly with the protagonist running into his burning house to try and save his doomed daughter, Lilly. Storytelling-101 reminds writers and audiences alike that you should never cold-open in the middle of a tragedy when the characters are unestablished. It turns out that this is a nightmare our drunken, aged hero is having in a bar. Our protagonist, Sebastian Castellanos, not only looks just like the protagonist Joel from The Last of Us, but he has the same Call-to-Adventure: guilt over a dead daughter.

Tragic deaths of wives and daughters are routinely used to kick off terrible action movies. No story should be burdened by these cliches, and god have mercy on terrible writers ripping off the least interesting premises of better stories! TEW2 doubles down on these sins by revealing that our protagonist's burn-victim daughter is in a comatose state and has been subversively used by an EVIL CORPORATION to power a virtual reality that has descended into a nightmare. This is the premise of the [also much better, despite latter entries] series, Silent Hill! The convoluted solution to this stupid problem is that the protagonist must go INCEPTION on his daughter and rescue the swat team that is trapped with her.

There is no way to get invested in a game that rips off the dumbest parts of better games and movies. Beyond the sins of the plot, the main character suffers from Leon S. Kennedy-Syndrome, where he wonders "what the hell is going on?" every 5 minutes for the entire game. Castellanos is committed to making sure the player has no chance to wonder about the setting for themselves because he either wonders for us or another character has to explain everything.

The gameplay is as boring as the story. Castellanos moves like a tank on a rusty swivel. With the exception of a couple of bosses, enemies are uninteresting. The player is uninvested in the characters so the stakes never feel real and fear never comes, with possible exception of a few jump scares.
  88. Nov 1, 2017
    What with it being Halloween, I decided to write a lengthy review on the original game and also put down my thoughts on this sequel.

There are a few things here that are pretty much the same from EW. The shooting, the stealth, the item/XP gathering. It's all just as fun, which counts for a lot. However, everything else is lesser. It's less horrifying for starters. The original

However, everything else is lesser. It's less horrifying for starters. The original game often reached Silent Hill levels in terms of being disturbing/grotesque. Its also got far fewer enviroments (and I mean waaaaay fewer), fewer enemy types, less verticality, fewer surprises, far fewer mini-bosses/unique enemies, less variety in how levels play out or are explored, fewer puzzles, a lesser variety in pacing and fewer occasions to need the different weapons.

For example, the original game specifically had a whole bunch of situations where certain weapons were desperately needed. Not so in this game; you can get by perfectly fine with the gun, harpoon and pistol, even on the survival setting. In fact, you only get a sniper rifle halfway or-so through the game and a machine gun very late and ammo is very scarce for both but not in a good 'survival horror' type way. In fact, it's entirely possible to miss the sniper rifle and flamethrower altogether. Think about it this way. If the game is made knowing you might not have these weapons, then how could they make varied situations/monsters that suit/require them? They couldn't and they didn't. I only used the sniper rifle once, on the end game boss.

I'd estimate that more than half the hours from this game come from two somewhat large and open areas. They are both part of a run down town and are therefore almost identical. They're slightly creepy in an RE2 kinda way. It was fun to explore the first one but by the time I got to the second I was ready for something different. I really cannot express the disparity between the two games in terms of variety, imagination, atmosphere and horror when it comes to the level design.

These same complaints about variety stretch to not just the enemies, but the situations that you'll be in when you fight them. It's mostly corridor after corridor, room after room, street after street. You're not gonna be dodging traps, moving in a cargo lift or avoiding a mini boss while you deal with ordinary creatues. You're not gonna find yourself swimming from debris to debris, or timed gate to timed gate, while avoiding an invincible aquatic creature then climbing up a ladder into an abandoned office block, fighting a room full of enemies with more coming through the window before jumping back into the water to make a swim for it. Yeah, that's a bit specific but I mention it to show just how much imagination the first game had in comparison.

The voice acting and script are better than EW. The story is easier to follow and quite heartfelt at times. I cared about what happened to the main characters.

My actual playtime was 20 hours, with the rest being me leaving the game on when not playing, so it's got a decent bit of content if you explore everything. Mind you, I spent a lot of time making sure I killed everything I encountered for the XP (which I shouldn't have bothered with) and also ran back to the save points a lot so I imagine most people will complete the game at around the 15-17 hour mark.

I'm torn about whether to recommend it or not. Wait for a sale would be my best advice. I wish I had. As you can tell, I was disappointed with it compared to the original but it's still one of the better survival horror games out there; it's not exactly a saturated genre after all. You can tell what bits I was disappointed by so if these things don't bother you then, of course, by all means go for it. I hope you have a blast.
  89. Oct 16, 2017
    An inferior games compared to the original, it feels like a game that's stealing from its betters.

While the original wasn't amazing, it was still a good game with an interesting premise. This is messy and uninspired. Not remotely scary and with characters who are walking cliches, the boss designs and fights aren't even good this time around. The few improvements are in gameplay (which is still buggy), side quests that give more playtime and an ending that actually works. Although the story is as predictable as you'd expect.

Unfortunately, in trying to appeal to a wider market and therefore sell better than the original (much like how Re6 tried to please everyone and instead pleased no one), this game has lost the spark and terror the first game had and is instead a generic relic from the past that copies Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill Downpour, The Last of Us and countless B movies. Worse still, the game has flopped. Learn from this mistake if you intend on making a third installment Tango.
  90. Oct 13, 2017
    Its a shame i was so hyped up!generic and it doesnt try something ground breaking that hurts me more.i was fan of the first but this one. i see that the game is so overrated offcourse from the fans of the resident evil 4.survival horror funs i guess doesnt exist :/,or i stuck in the 90s resident evil times who knows?
  91. Oct 14, 2017
    First of all, The Evil Within, was one of my favourite survival horror games; Old school, great sound design, creepy visuals, and a story that isn't worth trying to make sense of, much less pay attention to. So what that game and every classic "old school" survival horror realised, was; that in order to truly terrify, one must orchestrate a path for the player, with intent to frighten.First of all, The Evil Within, was one of my favourite survival horror games; Old school, great sound design, creepy visuals, and a story that isn't worth trying to make sense of, much less pay attention to. So what that game and every classic "old school" survival horror realised, was; that in order to truly terrify, one must orchestrate a path for the player, with intent to frighten. This is done, by literally forcing the player, through a series of linear environments. Give players a chance to deviate, and up crops a disconnect. That, is precisely the problem with this sequel. The evil within 2 starts off promising - linear environment; check. Scares; check. Score; check. Visuals (improved to boot); check. But then you enter the open world, albeit small; and that's where it starts to falter. Scares are scattered about and they suprise, but never truly affect as a survival horror should. This game is ok, the story is better, the visuals are better (they didn't even work at times, in the first game) but I can't help but feel dissapointed in the fact that this is improved and moved (literally) from the original. They deserve props for a n open world survival horror that keeps on "surprising" the player, but unfortunately it never feels familiar. And familiar is what I want from a sequel. The controls also don't work as well as they did in the first game, imo. Ultimately, the game is worth playing, but isn't by any stretch; essential. Expand
  92. Nov 16, 2017
    This is a great game. I really liked how the story was told and the overall experience is just much more consistent than in its predecessor. The first half of the game feels like a proper horror game with great atmosphere and horrifying art direction. The second half feels a bit more action oriented but still is great. Especially because they've improved gunplay. I have to say somethingThis is a great game. I really liked how the story was told and the overall experience is just much more consistent than in its predecessor. The first half of the game feels like a proper horror game with great atmosphere and horrifying art direction. The second half feels a bit more action oriented but still is great. Especially because they've improved gunplay. I have to say something about the difficulty too. If you play the game in "casual", it will rather feel like an action game (similar to RE5). However, if you choose to play it on "survival" or more difficult, every encounter will feel tense and you really want to make every shot count. I liked both experiences equally. Overall very recommended. Mikami and his team still no how to do it! Expand
  93. Nov 1, 2017
    This game is a masterpiece, very long time since i played a VERY good horror survival game! i think even better than the first one....the story was more complex, characters more developed....scenery and so on, i give it a solid 10.
  94. Nov 8, 2017
    Authentic and unique open-world survival horror; It shouldn’t work, but it does. There’s a lot of innovation here based on proven mechanics. The game retains much of the presentation and core components of the original but has been completely upended in terms of overall gameplay.

After spending a few frustrating hours getting accustomed with how to properly interact with the game world, I quickly began to see the brilliance of the game design and am elated I stuck with it. I’m a massive fan of the original and it holds a special spot on my games shelf. Given the meager sales and lukewarm reception, I was surprised and thrilled to see a sequel was being developed. Then I read a different director was tied to the project and the sequel would be an “open-world” game, and my excitement turned to disappointment and anger.

While I sincerely miss the abstract psychological horror, widescreen presentation and linear progression of the first game (which I regard as artistic genius), this sequel stand on its own well-earned merits. The story and voice acting have sadly devolved into janky B-movie territory and fundamentally the gameplay mechanics are a collection of the usual en-vogue suspects. But The Evil With 2 Is elevated far beyond the sum of its parts due to the mastery and talent of the development team who nearly perfected, and innovated on, the integration of each component; all of which have deftly been grafted on top of a worthy survival horror foundation.

New players and franchise veterans alike will find something immensely enjoyable here. Nothing will compare to or top the original art-house game, but this unique experience stands on its own. Now updated (new patch this week) with higher resolution visuals (pseudo UHD) and an amazingly stable unlocked frame rate on the PS4 Pro, this is an experience not to be missed by any action-adventure fan.
  95. Oct 28, 2017
    I love horror games and Evil Within 2 is definitively not one to miss. The game is setting in an uninhabited city called Union, full of strange and dangerous creatures and the protagonist is after his missing daughter. Sounds like the first Silent Hill, right? Yep, the vibe is very similar, while it maintains the basic gameplay structure of the first Evil Within and Resident Evil 4.I love horror games and Evil Within 2 is definitively not one to miss. The game is setting in an uninhabited city called Union, full of strange and dangerous creatures and the protagonist is after his missing daughter. Sounds like the first Silent Hill, right? Yep, the vibe is very similar, while it maintains the basic gameplay structure of the first Evil Within and Resident Evil 4. However, different from the previous game, this sequel features not just chasing and action sequences, but also slow pacing moments with plenty of room for exploration searching for weapons, ammo, gears and other stuff and even some few side quests, while you're in the central town. However, even enjoying this semi open world portion of the game, i think the game is better during the more linear and tense parts. Also, it's a pity that the best villain in the game, Stefano Vallentini, don't get the highlight he deserves, his chasing sequences are the best part of the game.

Honestly, i can't decided if a like this better than the original Evil Within. The visuals, controls and character development have improved, however the first one has a better story and is more scarier.
  96. Nov 3, 2017
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.8 Gameplay: 8.0 Fun/Story: 9.0

The evil within 2 is a great evolution of its predecessor. Despite its average press score it´s a very good game, with unique level design and an immersive plot.
  97. Oct 23, 2017
    another survival/horror masterpiece by the father of survival/horror and tango im a huge fan of the genre and i love this kind of games and trust me this game had the potential to be the most complete survival horror game but i think RE remakeOriginal will remain mikami's best creation since it was the source of inspiration of most survival horror games anyways this game is highlyanother survival/horror masterpiece by the father of survival/horror and tango im a huge fan of the genre and i love this kind of games and trust me this game had the potential to be the most complete survival horror game but i think RE remakeOriginal will remain mikami's best creation since it was the source of inspiration of most survival horror games anyways this game is highly recommended for those seeking fear and tensity and horror elements mixed with great story telling Expand
  98. Oct 21, 2017
    Who ever says this isn't an improvement and were disappointed are obviously BS'ing because it's the best improvement to a game, sequel wise, I've seen in a long time. The fact reviews are giving it the same, if not less then the first game which had it's fair share of problems is ridiculous. This is a perfect blend of survival horror and action...this is what Resident Evil should haveWho ever says this isn't an improvement and were disappointed are obviously BS'ing because it's the best improvement to a game, sequel wise, I've seen in a long time. The fact reviews are giving it the same, if not less then the first game which had it's fair share of problems is ridiculous. This is a perfect blend of survival horror and action...this is what Resident Evil should have evolved into after RE4, hell it's better then RE7 put it that way. Expand
  99. Oct 21, 2017
    The Evil Within 2 - the sequel to psychedelic hell. The first part challenged the players, had a dark but attractive atmosphere, gameplay Resident Evil 4 (which is good), but sags in the plot. The game had a certain charm, she attracted, was forced to return to his dark world, because if hell is, it looks like the first The Evil Within. The second part did John Johanas, which wasThe Evil Within 2 - the sequel to psychedelic hell. The first part challenged the players, had a dark but attractive atmosphere, gameplay Resident Evil 4 (which is good), but sags in the plot. The game had a certain charm, she attracted, was forced to return to his dark world, because if hell is, it looks like the first The Evil Within. The second part did John Johanas, which was responsible for the DLC for the first part, and keep an eye on him, Shinji Mikami. It is felt that the sequel was done by other people, but the game does not become worse.

This time the plot is much simpler and clearer than in the first game, which went only benefit. After completing The Evil Within 2, you'll have no issues. Along with the story and changed the gameplay. Moreover, the linear stages is not particularly changed. There we were still locked in a small space, and we need to hide, or alternately kill monsters. This game is still a survival horror, even more survival. Survival now became more developed thanks to the Kraft and, of course, appeared in open locations. It's not open world, but explore that. In an open world we can find the various items for crafting, to carry out the plot and additional missions. The extra missions are very interesting and related to by Sebastian. Additional tasks third party to tell us stories in this world. In the first part of the Chapter commercials from 2 to 9 we aimlessly killing monsters and tried to survive. It was not easy and hardcore, but often a story or at least some clear goal was not simple. Here we always understand why we do something. Even when the plot is not particularly develops, we learn some other history.

Open world is a controversial decision, but it is justified by the plot. In the first part we traveled through the ruined mind of a psycho. Here, in the minds built the city, and the developers wanted this part of the story was the gameplay. We have several parts of the city, but the plot is still developing in corridor spaces. Linear locations are made more fiction. Now they consist not only of blood and guts. This is a separate surreal, psychedelic locations. The head is sometimes very transient and sometimes perceived simply as a new paragraph, so to speak. In the first game of the head was really something separate. But storytelling has grown and the main story runs through the whole game, a special sagging is not seen. Of course, in the middle of it, as usual, not much, but you did not notice, because you always have a goal and understanding what is happening.

The monsters are all the same threat as in the first part, but they looked more vile and disgusting. Even ordinary opponents with their barbed wire over the body and nailed to the skull. In the sequel, even bosses are not as challenging. In the first part often can not be just to kill the boss with them was a special gameplay. Here are they without special problems elementary shot. Remember the huge twins, big dog? Now, this is not here. Here or bosses or normal enemies (normal enemies, there are several types and some are extremely dangerous). Also removed the mechanics from the burning of ordinary opponents, because even before the common infected just so the knife could not be seperate, now this is no problem (but I understand that this mechanic was removed from the STEM of another world). Due to the open world, the game became easier. Enemies are still strong. But because of the vast spaces you can easily get around them, or even to escape to the sanctuary, you will chase the crowd. The first part was not enough traps, in which could get the player, or to do otherwise - to lure them into the enemy, but in the sequel traps almost there. Also open world drops to the pacing and tempo of scaring the player. In the linear stages of the game can still challenge and some where to scare. This is not a stupid third-person shooter. Here you need to survive, to save health packs and bullets.

The Evil Within 2 took into account the mistakes of its predecessor, and became great Thriller-adventure, this survival in a hostile world. The game has expanded, deepened gameplay, linear locations have become more inventive, the game has acquired a clear and intriguing storyline. For me it will likely be game of the year. Especially because of the ending. Very beautiful final point. Of course, there are small hooks to continue, but without him it will be a great film series about detective Sebastian Castellanos.
  100. Nov 4, 2017

Generally favorable reviews - based on 67 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2018
    Shinji Mikami’s philosophy is to focus on making the game’s good aspects shine even brighter instead of trying to eradicate its flaws. His latest work both benefits and suffers from that approach. The Evil Within 2 offers great exploration, but its story is laughable. It’s a thrilling shooter, but a mediocre stealth game. At the end of the day I find Mikami to be right – a game’s best moments count the most and make us turn a blind eye to its flaws. TEW2 fails to reach the level of my beloved Resident Evil 4, but in today’s circumstances a triple AAA survival horror without online components and intrusive microtransactions is a gem. [13/2017, p.72]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 15, 2017
    A likeable follow-up that addresses valid criticisms of its predecessor and provides gory fun, but loses a little of what made it special in the process. [Christmas 2017, p.90]
  3. Dec 14, 2017
    Exploring the game's main town, which is full of monsters, new weapons and items, is a blast. New discoveries will immerse you into the gameplay, and make you forget about that daughter you have to save.