6.6

1. Aug 13, 2021
    The great ace attorney series is a mystery game that plays itself and is a major letdown for long time fans as it's head scratching mysteries are no where to be found in this entry.

I will say as a game, this port of a 3Ds title is competently made, as a collection I'd say it's what we'd come to expect from the people at Capcom. There's no technical issues to be found the music, character design, and localized dialogue is all up to the quality we've come to expect from this series. However that's where my praise for the game ends. As the game, in its core gameplay, is severely lacking. There's no challange to ever solve the mystery of "what happened" as the great ace Attorney seems to go out of its way to make things as easy as possible for the player. Bringing up a mystery for the case, only to immidaltey hand you a peice of evidence that anyone over the age of 10 would be able to figure out the significance of what it means. At times you will even be handed a peice of evidence and then immidaltey told what to do with it by your assistant, that being invesitagte it or present it. I think the best way to outline the core problem the game has with approaching it's mysteries can be found in its new mechanic, which is watching for characters reactions to certian statements during cross examinations. On its surface it sounds interesting, Ace Attorney Apollo Justice on the Nintendo DS had a simmilar such mechanic that many people enjoyed. However the two aren't comparable, as any and all forms of subtly have been removed. When this "mechanic" is activated, the game will play an audio que of them shouting, put a "!" Over the characters icon, and have them go into an extremely obvious nervous animation that will have them flailing their arms around biting on an object. Turning this "mechanic" into a quick time event with no time limit making it nearly impossible to miss.

Final Verdict: Guilty of being a boring visual novel disguised as a mystery game.
  2. Aug 1, 2021
    Pick something. Either I am a lawyer or I am a detective. Years of this and it's only gotten worse half the cases turn into having nothing to do with the client. This should have one game, but the stretched out one alright story into to two terrible ones. The budget for the second game was clearly cut and they didn't make animated scenes. Half the game is nonsense talk back and forth andPick something. Either I am a lawyer or I am a detective. Years of this and it's only gotten worse half the cases turn into having nothing to do with the client. This should have one game, but the stretched out one alright story into to two terrible ones. The budget for the second game was clearly cut and they didn't make animated scenes. Half the game is nonsense talk back and forth and the prosecution is the same through two whole games!? How is this not supposed to be just one better game? Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 39 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 27, 2021
    A beautiful, heavy on text, visual novel with interesting and innovative adventure elements wrapped up in a well-orchestrated story arc. While we would like to reprimand Capcom for this delay over the 3DS version, we are still happy to enjoy this little gem in more platforms.
  2. PLAY
    Aug 24, 2021
    Unfocussed mechanics and not enough Herlock Sholmes means it doesn’t live up to its full potential, though series fans will have a hoot with the mysteries. [Issue#5, p.80]
  3. Aug 19, 2021
    The return of the Ace Attorney saga gives us a couple of excellent games with great stories that will put your intellect to the test.