8.7

1. Oct 22, 2019
    This series used to be relaxing and fun to play. But not anymore. This entry is a complete wreck. Music that hurts my ears, unbalanced skills, messed up pace, weak character depiction, boring plot that's so much bits and pieces and at the end of it barely make much sense. The cliff hanger is nothing when I knew it coming and the story leading up to it was so bad. There are 13 charactersThis series used to be relaxing and fun to play. But not anymore. This entry is a complete wreck. Music that hurts my ears, unbalanced skills, messed up pace, weak character depiction, boring plot that's so much bits and pieces and at the end of it barely make much sense. The cliff hanger is nothing when I knew it coming and the story leading up to it was so bad. There are 13 characters that you play without counting characters that only make 1 or 2 appearances. Each of those characters speak a line. End of dialogue and game. Imagine the grind you need to go through to equip all of them and change setups. Not to mention the trouble with unbalanced gameplay. The healing and enrage function of the enemies are extremely annoying...and the end boss effect just outright ignores defensive skills. there's no warning either and the structure of the game and sometimes just dont let you save even though there are so many save points. the effort that has been put into the game is plain to see. downright 2/10. But this is not counting the english translation which seem to be doing quite a bit.

Overpriced piece of garbage. I'm so angry I wasted 100 hours on this ****
    NG+? There's no way I'd want to go through that again...

Generally favorable reviews - based on 29 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 2, 2019
    A long-awaited localization of the next Trails of Cold Steel instalment is finally here. If you haven't played the previous ones, don't bother with this and go play those instead. But if you have, you know exactly what to expect here and feel free to get excited. It is a great game.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Nov 18, 2019
    In between setting off on field expeditions, where you assist Erebonia’s inhabitants by taking on quests, you learn more about your students and colleagues by helping them out at the school. Narrative is still the focus, and with a dizzying amount of dialogue for even minor characters it manages to feel epic and sweeping and personal and intimate all at the same time. [Issue#169, p.84]
  3. Nov 11, 2019
    A good JRPG with good fights, but the story is like a giant prequel to the fourth episode, with poor main issues, and the graphics are one generation late.