8.3

1. Oct 25, 2019
    An interesting study.

It is hard to not want to like this game given its pedigree. It is certainly a good game and a mostly well made game in its own right but that said the whole is not quite as good as the sum of its parts. Lets get the TL;DR out of the way. While it does a lot of what people expected of it from playing like a merger of Fallout and bioware RPGs the end result of
    An interesting study.

Lets get the TL;DR out of the way. While it does a lot of what people expected of it from playing like a merger of Fallout and bioware RPGs the end result of such story lines lack that same narrative spark that Bioware RPGs are known for. It takes the trying too hard over the top comedy of Borderlands, adds the romance, relationships and endless dialog of a bioware RPG, Bethesdas janitor simulator gameplay where all you do is wander an near endless sandbox picking up and sorting garbage and sets it with a setting and cast straight out of "a whole ship of Han Solo's" of firefly. To some that sounds like their wet dream of a video game. Honestly when its all assembled its like the worst parts of all of those franchises. Its tedious, ridiculous, and sometimes actually enjoyable. It is however long stretches between those moments.

The remainder is specifics as to why it plays like this.

On the flipside of the coin its mechanical game play feels a bit too simplified and lacking the same teeth. Especially when you feel the results of your consequent level upgrades. Playing as if theres really little change from level to level or even over several levels to major skill unlocks.

Its biggest flaw is its setting and narrative. Like it is trying a little too hard to be this much fallout, this much bioware, that much borderlands. Also the "whole ship of han solo's" trope is played out and honestly just as unbearable as it has been since the likes of Firefly first tried it. The "cast of lovable goofballs and badasses" is ridiculous and shows that the plot itself lacks teeth that could have been had with such a story. It renders most of the characters stories without depth and illicit little actual caring for their plight due to the ever present comical or whimsical nonsense lurking around the corner. It may be a style many people like but its the difference between watching some vapid summer popcorn munching blockbuster that cant even go half its runtime before it starts lulling you to sleep with constant barrage of "awesome" and pandering fan service and sitting down to experience an actual film with depth, that provokes thought and reflection or elicits genuine emotion
    that leaves you wanting more and more. That proves to be a BIG problem in a game that has so many hours of dialog as it becomes tedious and forgettable VERY quickly.

Do not get me wrong, Its a good game, but at this stage of reviewing its important to get a more objective perspective than people review bombing it into oblivion, or blindly fawning over it like its the second coming that WILL wear off when people get deeper into the content and/or when the novelty of it has worn off and when looking back on it.

Its definitely a game of the year type game. That said it marks a fairly pedestrian if not outright bad year in gaming. I would give it either the highest possible seven or the lowest possible 8 and leaning personally more toward a 7. However accepting the game related to the entire potential audience for it and trying to also not be TOO nitpicky critical siding on the games behalf I would begrudgingly accept an 8 as a reasonable approximation. Though definitely in the B- category.

Its not a generation defining title like say a Dark Souls was for last gen, but its definitely a solid foundation that a somewhat quick sequel in about 2 years can iron out most of the mechanical issues and give time to craft a better story while utilizing the same engine and assets or perhaps with modest graphical upgrades as an early if not launch title for next generation.

So personally I would say unless you are REALLY dying for an RPG right now you could stand at least a couple weeks for a significant price reduction and be fully justified in doing so. Rushing to pay full price for this I cannot really recommend because while a sound cobbling together its literally nothing you have not already seen before.
  2. Oct 25, 2019
    Quick review because I'm really enjoying this game. Outer Worlds is the Fallout 4 Bethesda should have gifted us with... but in space. It's charming, whacky and random, which is what I expect for these types of games. It's very much influenced by such games as New Vegas and Kotor, maybe a bit too much, but that really isn't a bad thing. If you like these two games, you'll love Outer Worlds.
  3. Oct 25, 2019
    Finally a game to help fill the void left by studios like the nowadays awful BioWare. Outer Worlds is highly recommended :).
  4. Oct 25, 2019
  5. Oct 26, 2019
    It's got great RPG elements, and you can play however you want. Player choice is fantastic and the dialogue is done very well. Characters are very interesting, and they all have their own quirks which brought many a smile to my face. City design, and interiors are crafted beautifully.

The Bads The graphics are just terrible! Everything is a blurry saturated colourful eye-sore, it's

The Bads

The graphics are just terrible! Everything is a blurry saturated colourful eye-sore, it's so hard to differentiate anything in this world, everything has the same colour palette and enemies blend in with what's behind them!

Enemy design leaves something to be admired, blue dinosaurs, pink dinosaurs, green dinosaurs, blue green pink dinosaurs, they might be very well designed, but I can't **** see them!

The worlds in this game are terrible, everything is exactly the same, it's only the cities and interiors that seem to have had any effort put in, you walk down a highlighted path, bumping into the same marauders situated in the middle of the road, surrounded by a few boxes, it's the same interaction in what feels like the same area over and over and over again. No outposts, structures, places that you would remember, if I asked you to name the last interaction you had with marauders you would say, in the middle of the road surrounded by boxes, it's bad, super bad. I know it's not fallout, but if there was named areas, such as a shopping mall full of marauders, It would have changed this game completely.

No places to visit outside of the cities, it's just a vast swamp of colours, grass, trees, rocks.

The loot is nothing special, looting feels janky to me in this game, objects get surrounded by a blue highlight to show that it can be picked up, however nothing seems worth picking up, it's just bottles and food, the occasional gun that looks identical to the others even with it being a different kind, I don't know, looting just feels off in this game to me.

To summarise,

It's the best RPG we have had this year, full of choices, consequences, roll playing, character creation, but it's a far cry from what it could have been, it is definitely not game of the year and it is not as good as the feedback it is receiving, outside of the quests and story it's nothing but a copy and paste over saturated eye burner which leaves little in terms of game play.

5/10.
  6. Oct 30, 2019
    Not worth $60

Not worth $60

if you're going to buy this game know that it is mainly focuses on dialogue over gameplay. The main story itself is pretty good, your actions have a lot of interesting consequences and the main quest itself is engaging. The story takes you to memorable places and lets you decide on your own how you want to deal with the situation without holding your hand too much. There are plenty of skill checks and dialogue options that make it seem like your character choices matter. Graphics are ok (there are some stuttering issues in some of the towns) and the game is mostly bug free.The crafting is really basic and boring, you are only allowed to install a limited amount of armor and weapon mods and improve them using money. The combat in this game is also very simple and repetitive, just shoot the weakspots and go slow-mo when you're in trouble.Companions are another weak spot. The reasons for your companions joining you are very weak and most of their side missions seem really dull and skippable. Character progression doesn't feel as fleshed out as it should be either, none of the perks are interesting and all your left with is allocating 10 skill points per level.

This game is like a smaller scale Fallout New Vegas without the fallout. Grab it on sale if you enjoyed New Vegas
  7. Oct 29, 2019
    Except for some minor annoyances, I will remember this game for some time.

Since this is the generation of nothing really new, except for flashier graphics and lots of remasters, I feel like this game takes elements of so many last gen games and combines to make one heck of a Action RPG / Shooter! 3/4 Fallout New Vegas and remaining 1/4 to BioWare Mass Effect, Borderlands, and a pinch of
    Except for some minor annoyances, I will remember this game for some time.

3/4 Fallout New Vegas and remaining 1/4 to BioWare Mass Effect, Borderlands, and a pinch of Bioshock. Very fun.

Not game for those looking for dedicated shooters
  8. Oct 31, 2019
    Visuals: It looks like Borderlands and Bioshock had a baby, pretty good with its own artstyle.
    Audio: Voice acting is decent, music is very atmospheric and overall audiodesign is pretty good.
    Mechanics: Many elements from Mass effect and previous fallout titles with a couple different ones. No hacking/lockpicking minigame was kind of disapointing. Weapons are very limited and vary in

No hacking/lockpicking minigame was kind of disapointing.
    Weapons are very limited and vary in power only by levelgaps, like lvl 15 weapons are all the same power, then lvl 18 is the next step up and so on. Weapons overall feel quite good, but lacking in power, or atleast power scaling.

I don't even know wether there are any romance options in this game since the one I was interested in went for another npc, that was unexpected.

Very limited crew BUT in turn you can have 2 crewmembers active and following at the same time, so thats sort of a plus and minus.

Characters overall are relatively good, but you're just not compelled to interact with too many of them, not even your crew. Its definitely not at the level of character design and intrigue as fallout 3/nv.

The TTD which is essentially the new version of VATS was exceptionally disapointing for me and I found it completely useless.

Story is overall very interesting and is inviting, but not enough is explained about the backstory of humanity, potentially to save that up for a sequel, but it felt like nothing was really explained. Or not enough atleast.

All in all I had fun playing through it, but the world and its people felt a little too empty and uninviting. I definitely enjoyed FO3 alot more.
  9. Nov 4, 2019
    Good game! But I expected more in 2019 it is a shame the combat is so clunky and not responsive. The menus are bad and sense of direction is very difficult within buildings. Again great RPG elements but same old obsidian issues moving from one game to another. I believe today you can couple the beautiful RPG elements with good and even great mechanics.
    In a nutshell if you are looking for
    In a nutshell if you are looking for a good RPG this is it. But the graphics, gameplay, enemies, etc. leaves much to the imagination.
  10. Oct 29, 2019
    (This Review is for the game in Normal mode)
    Outer Worlds brought with it a pack of lovable, well written characters that are fun to engage with through a witty and versatile dialogue system.
    Although limited in quantity, the explorable areas are rich in content and variety and make a great landscape for the numerous quests. I have seen numerous reviews comparing this title to triple A-
    (This Review is for the game in Normal mode)
    I have seen numerous reviews comparing this title to triple A- games and this is were some of its problems seem to stem from: While Outer Worlds is an overall polished game, it Is just not innovative. The story has a lot of parallels to Mass Effect Andromeda (colonists gets stuck in stasis pods while other ships have already frontier a new world but it’s going down the drain), the setting reminded me very much of Borderlands (Corporations rule, Vending Machines define the Market, Half the Population are drug addicted lunatics and/or cannibals) and then there is the obvious connection to Fallout’s Roleplaying aspects. It sounds like a great recipe at first but then one does notice that it’s just already been done before.
    People who wanted Fallout NV in Space will likely not be disappointed, although it should be said that Outer World took over some of Fallout’s flaws with it, as the main story falls flat compared to some of the side quests, there are still some redundant side quests, a relatively low (subjective opinion) level cap at 30 and one needn’t be Nostradamus to figure out what the end choices of a quest will be when you start it.

All in all though, the positive strongly outweighs the bad and the. The world(s) Obsidian created is beautiful and engaging with huge role-playing capabilities and the game flow-ed like a marble on a half-pipe.
  11. Nov 5, 2019
    I just finished this game and felt compelled to provide a review to help others decide if they want to purchase. In terms of what's great about the game, the story and interactions are extensive and immersive. There is depth in the narrative of the game. The companions all have interesting stories sans Pavarti, for me. I felt it was stretched too far over the story for something that wasI just finished this game and felt compelled to provide a review to help others decide if they want to purchase. In terms of what's great about the game, the story and interactions are extensive and immersive. There is depth in the narrative of the game. The companions all have interesting stories sans Pavarti, for me. I felt it was stretched too far over the story for something that was pretty frivolous. The environments all felt pretty unique. If you like the old Fallout games, particularly (and obviously) New Vegas, you'll really feel at home. In retrospect, the length (on the shorter side) actually didn't bother me. On reflecting, it was just right where it didn't feel like I was grinding and killing time. Compare this to the most recent Assassin's Creed games. They were so big that there was a lot of grind and that started to mess with the story. You lose track of it. I thought the combat mechanics were well done. For these types of titles, this was the best gun play I've gone through. It's akin to a top FPS game. Well done. I didn't get into the Melee so can't speak to that. I was strictly ranged.

The bad? It's been said but the graphics feel dated for a AAA title. The Fallout/Elder Scrolls FPS engine just feels more cartoonish animated. I think Ubisoft is doing the best "world" graphics with Far Cry and Assassin's Creed with the latter being the most photo realistic. Far Cry is a little more cartoony but it feels real. I know these are alien planets but they feel more 2D than 3D and the design and color choices just feel like they could have done a lot more with them. The cities and ships are the best part, graphically. Also, I felt like the companions could have had more depth and clarity in terms of how they should be built and combined. They didn't seem to have as many unique perks and you couldn't necessarily tell what their specialties were...at least I missed it until I looked on the internet.

In many respects, this game is almost a "vintage" release. It truly plays and looks like a FPS RPG from the 2000s but with some modern day polish and sheen. Almost like if they had decided to make Fallout New Vegas Remastered. The environments are more contained like God of War 4 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider but there is less exploring and achievements. You're better off to follow the story. It has nowhere near the depth of an Open World game where you can just kill time exploring and discovering cool stuff. Take it for what it is and relish in what it does well and I think you will really enjoy the game.
  12. Oct 31, 2019
    Finally, a Fallout-killing experience! I haven’t purchased a Fallout since 4, even skipping New Vegas, and I thankfully was spared the trash heap that is 76. Outer Worlds is a bit too short and the anti-capitalism silliness is a bit too much for me, so that’s why it’s an 8/10. Still, one of the best games in this genre I’ve played in a while.
  13. Nov 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this game has a highly-polished surface and mostly smooth mechanics, it suffers from pretending to be more than it is, and this often leads players on and eventually makes their experience suffer for it. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2019
    Only 10 hours in but a thoroughly engaging rpg that prioritises character interaction over combat in such an interesting way, you can't help but enjoy yourself
  15. Oct 30, 2019
    buen juego de los mismos de fallout new vegas si te gusto fallout recomendado
  16. Oct 31, 2019
    Okay, this game is good. But it could've been so much more.

The bad: - the loot system was trash. Honestly. There were lots of different consumables but only one really mattered. And lots of stuff was only usable for selling. Literally went straight into your junk folder cause it had no use whatsoever. Loot, guns, and armour were kinda boring. -I enjoyed the combat but it was overshadowed
    Okay, this game is good. But it could've been so much more.

The bad:
    - the loot system was trash. Honestly. There were lots of different consumables but only one really mattered. And lots of stuff was only usable for selling. Literally went straight into your junk folder cause it had no use whatsoever. Loot, guns, and armour were kinda boring. -I enjoyed the combat but it was overshadowed by the boring same enemies. They feel like a random fly that you need to sway away so you can continue you normal duties.
    - the exploration is lacking. The outerworlds has an interesting but the worlds are kinda small. I wish it were larger and had more to explore. But I guess they did want it to be so much an open world rpg.
    - a lot of the side quest turn into traveling to do lists. Which gets tiring after a while. I was able to not touch the main quest for hours in fallout new Vegas but in outerworlds you cant really do that.
    - the guns were lacking. Not enough guns to be honest, needs more interesting guns.
    - I wish it was more customizable regarding clothing

The good.
    - the ability to mod weapons and armour was nice.
    - the dialogue and main story in this are really good. I really enjoyed the companions and was able to connect with them.
    - I read some people talking about this game forcing sjws values and what not but I didnt get any of that. Yea there are a lot of powerful female characters but they are good characters with interesting characteristics. - I enjoyed the art and looks of the game. It was very pretty. Although I constantly had to adjust my brightness cause the contrast in game made it very difficult to see things.
    - I thought the ability to raise the level of guns or clothing that you liked was really cool. Although because theres not that much gun variety you end up running into a better version of you gun, and theres no special gun that I felt needed to be updated with my level. Same with armour.

On a last note this game was too short. My first play through I was able to blitz right through it in less than a few days. But on my second play through I turned off all subtitles and slowed down. And I have to say it's been much more enjoyable that way. It was a good game but there is a lot to do to make it a great game. And I believe obsidian has the potential to make a greater outerworlds game. If they do make a second one I hope they listen to the more negative reviews and improve in the game.
  17. Nov 3, 2019
    This is a well crafted, but very simple, take on the Fallout formula. The core pieces such as freedom of choice, expansive dialogue and characters, and the Fallout brand of quests are all there and fantastically done. But this is a product that was clearly on a budget.

The combat is fine, but straightforward and it lacks the polish of AAA games. The landscapes are not only small, but not particularly interesting. The companions lack any real standouts and the AI is weak. Character development is okay, but it lacks the depth of a Fallout or Elder Scrolls. The game itself is very short for an RPG. The Outer Worlds just lacks that layer of depth you would expect of a game of this style. The result is a linear game with an open world DNA. It's fun for the ride, but It doesn't really fill your belly.

It's worth a playthrough if you like this style of game. But treat it like an appetizer to the next big thing.
  18. Nov 9, 2019
    The game has been very enjoyable and fills a Mass Effect void. Its It's something like mox 1 part ME 1 part Borderlands and 1 Part FallOut.
  19. Nov 9, 2019
    The latest Obsidian RPG can be described as a successor of Mass Effect, Fallout and Firefly. While the narration is brilliant and various quests usually offer more than one resolution, the RPG and perk systems are shallow, crafting and modding gets boring really quickly and more than often I found myself just going from one quest marker to another without really caring about what and how.The latest Obsidian RPG can be described as a successor of Mass Effect, Fallout and Firefly. While the narration is brilliant and various quests usually offer more than one resolution, the RPG and perk systems are shallow, crafting and modding gets boring really quickly and more than often I found myself just going from one quest marker to another without really caring about what and how.
    The enviornment design is brilliant and gunplay feels more responsive and FPS-like than any other RPG shooter I've played, so you actualy have the feeling of playing shooter rather than RPG-style statistic-oriented combat mechanic.
    It shows that Obsidian can make great stories, characters and interesting worlds, however the actual gameplay framework everything is set on didn't deliver.
  20. Nov 7, 2019
    The game is Magic, Pure magic absolutely amazing, this is the perfect replacement for Fallout in this dark days of Bethesda, if you love Fallout Saga you gonna love this game.
  21. Nov 8, 2019
    For me, a former huge fan of the entire Fallout franchise, playing this game was nothing short of Obsydian showing Bugthesda their middle finger. A beautiful, rich game with a solid story line and a filling of freedom in decisions on how to finish it. I only wish it was longer and it had a build motive like we had in fallout 4
  22. Nov 10, 2019
    Went into the game expecting mediocre. Glad i didn't listen to mixed reviews. This game is awesome. The gunplay is great, speeches with NPCs are awesome, teammates are great. Obsidian , you did it again. Hoping for a sequel. The only thing that i didn't like are the graphics. What about the graphics you say ? the grass, flowers and trees are too neon.
  23. Nov 7, 2019
    A true spiritual sequel to new Vegas, amazing game! We're proud of you Obsidian.
  24. Nov 8, 2019
    Put simply it's everything that you wanted Fallout 4 and 76 to be. It's a fantastic new world in it's own right too and a joy to play through for fans who enjoy this genre of game. Obsidian are the good guys of the gaming world right now!
  25. Nov 8, 2019
    This game warmed my heart.
    Influences from most of the games I loved (Fallout New Vegas, BioShock, Dishonored, KoTOR II, Borderlands) and many other things. Perfect.
  26. Nov 8, 2019
    It's a fantastic game. This is the type of RPG we have been missing over the last few years Thanks Obsidian.
  27. Nov 9, 2019
    Videojuego realizado con mimo, los escenarios son muy bonitos. Para mi gusto la historia principal es corta aunque es divertido realizar las misiones secundarias.
  28. Nov 9, 2019
    Great game just like New Vegas. Its a lil bit too easy but quests and gameplay are awesome.
  29. Nov 9, 2019
    This is a wonderful game but it is not without its flaws.
    I have been a huge fan of Obsidian since its inception and they are a master class of the RPG developer. The Outer Worlds is filled with charm and is clearly the spiritual successor to FONV which is one of my favorite games of all time.
    This is a wonderful game but it is not without its flaws.
    The Presentation, while a little robotic at times, is quite good. The animations can be definitely be stiff but the voice acting and writingis absolutely top notch. Better than almost any game I've played this generation.
    That being said, the gameplay has a few issues. the character abilities, while a nice touch, can be a bit intrusive to the flow of gun fights. They absolutely have a purpose and have saved my ass on too many occasions (I play on hard mode), but the animation should not have to play every time. Perhaps if they implemented a system where it only does the animation if it is going to kill the last enemy in the vicinity. I find that would make it more meaningful than to play the animation every 10 seconds (use the abilities as much as you can!)

Unfortunately, the game also suffers from a few too many loading screens, but I understand Obsidian was working on a really tight budget and they had to cut corners where they could.

I think that this entry in the genre is a safe play. They did not do anything out of the ordinary, but what they did create here is a beautiful, charming, fun game made with passion.
    If they can take this game and expand on some ideas, I have a really positive outlook for a potential sequel.

Kudos to Obsidian, they deserve all the praise in the world for the things they are able to accomplish in short time spans/tight budgets.
  30. Nov 9, 2019
    A great RPG. One of very few games that I 100% completed. Compelling with an excellent story. Enjoyed the ending but wasn’t ready for it to be over. The main campaign seemed short.
  31. Nov 9, 2019
    I played the 3rd fallout and I liked it a lot so I decided to watch some reviews and gameplay and is really good so I'm thinking of buying it is just kinda similar just in space
  32. Nov 9, 2019
    This is a good game that is fun and immersive. The environments look fantastic on PS4 Pro, despite the game running on the Unreal engine. To me, the theme is sort of like Borderlands meets Fallout. The weapons are all branded by different corporations, have different damage types, etc. in a way that’s similar to BL2. There are vending machine vendors. It’s a Space Western with funnyThis is a good game that is fun and immersive. The environments look fantastic on PS4 Pro, despite the game running on the Unreal engine. To me, the theme is sort of like Borderlands meets Fallout. The weapons are all branded by different corporations, have different damage types, etc. in a way that’s similar to BL2. There are vending machine vendors. It’s a Space Western with funny stuff.. Even “The Outer Worlds” sounds like another way of saying “Borderlands”. Was it intentional? The gameplay is more like Fallout, of course. Anyway, there are a few reasons it’s not a 9 or 10: The corporations thing is a bit overdone. It often tries and fails miserably at being funny, but not enough to spoil the game. They could have toned that down a bit and still been quirky or whatever. Another thing is the Unreal engine, which is ancient and at times obvious, particularly with character models. It also effects world size, and other tech limitations. Lastly, some things just look cheap and not well thought out, like “holographic” signage used on walls that is boring and repeated everywhere. There should be more pretty lights and artwork. The game just doesn’t convey a theme as well as Fallout does. It’s a bit inconsistent or lacking at times. Overall though, it’s a new franchise that is off to a good start, a solid and fair 8.5 (which is great!) and I will be looking forward to playing the outer worlds two on PS5! Expand
  33. Nov 11, 2019
    Игра хорошая, проработанная, смешные диалоги. Но она просто не зацепила. Игра очень напоминает Fallout 4, хотя она никоем образом не должна быть такой. Графика могла быть лучше - сильно проигрывает тому же RDR2. Думаю если бы не было столько много шумихи вокруг этой игры было бы лучше, играл бы без предвкушения. Получились смешанные чувства.
    The game is good, well-developed, has funny
    The game is good, well-developed, has funny dialogs. But it seems that I just didn't like it. The game is very similar to Fallout 4, although it shouldn't be such. The graphics could be better - RDR2 graphics much better. I think if there weren’t so much hype around this game it would be better if I played without anticipation. I have mixed feelings.
  34. Nov 11, 2019
    This game is excactly what I was hoping for. As a huge fan of the older Fallout series I can tell, this the progression the newer Fallout games failed to achieve. What was missing for me to give a note ten was the lack of caprice in the facial expressions of the characters and the character that we control does not have voice. It also missed different views of camera while the characterThis game is excactly what I was hoping for. As a huge fan of the older Fallout series I can tell, this the progression the newer Fallout games failed to achieve. What was missing for me to give a note ten was the lack of caprice in the facial expressions of the characters and the character that we control does not have voice. It also missed different views of camera while the character talks, as in Fallout 4, gets the face of the NPC fixed and very close to the screen is very agonizing and boring. Expand
  35. Nov 11, 2019
    This is a good game, but it's not as good as Fallout: New Vegas. It has all of the right characteristics of a well-made RPG. The game just gets a little boring, though, because of countless loading screens, weak enemies, endless dialogue, monotonous looting, and running back and forth all the time. I don't know; it didn't keep my attention like New Vegas did. I'm not dying to play it aThis is a good game, but it's not as good as Fallout: New Vegas. It has all of the right characteristics of a well-made RPG. The game just gets a little boring, though, because of countless loading screens, weak enemies, endless dialogue, monotonous looting, and running back and forth all the time. I don't know; it didn't keep my attention like New Vegas did. I'm not dying to play it a second time. Expand
  36. Nov 11, 2019
    A kick in the face to Bethesda, with a steel plated boot. I couldn’t stop playing.
  37. Oct 27, 2019
    It's good, but overhyped. It's just not quite at the level of your better AAA titles. I'm having fun, but it's been a little on the dull side at times with the missions and stories, while combat is barely serviceable. Also really wish it wasn't in first person, especially with how cool the armor and customization looks but you pretty much never get to see your character.
  38. Nov 1, 2019
    Feels like a deja-vue, and brings up many nostalgic and fond Fallout memories. A very good game in all aspects. Congrats to Obsidian. I just missed the open world feel. But that's really the only small criticism I have
  39. Oct 28, 2019
    While The Outer Worlds suffers from its AA budget handicap, it still manages to soar close to the sun having accomplished at its core what many fans of the role-playing genre have been pining since New Vegas or Mass Effect 2, delivering a highly inspired, well-written, fanciful, dynamic rp romp worthy of the Obsidian legend.

Obsidian introduces us to a bright galaxy filled with dark

Obsidian introduces us to a bright galaxy filled with dark humor and corporate intrigue, mirroring the question of real-world tech-tyranny and what is liable to happen when corporations gain too much leeway with too little outside oversight. It's all executed quite well, with the narrative offering multiple avenues to accomplish tasks and missions in unique ways.

Morality is as grey as ever, and sometimes you will find yourself questioning just what good and evil are, lol. It's a fun roller-coaster of a tale that keeps your moral compass spinning and that's one of the highlights of the title in fact -- the question of right, wrong, balance, destiny, and self-will; it's actually masterful in this regard.

As for the companions, they are occupationally diverse, well fleshed-out individuals which keep moods light and quests engaging, even lipping out little comments or starting full-on conversations between each other after what is perhaps a questionable or praiseworthy action by the captain, and it all depends on their own personal dispositions or beliefs. Just don't do anything too crazy, as they're liable to turn on you should you become erratic or insane! Not that there's anything wrong with being insane...

The gunplay itself is not quite as desirable as its other fine points, coming short of even the likes of Fallout 4. However, even this dip in quality is overshadowed by the fact that Outer Worlds is not touting itself as a 'shooter' in the first place, but an rpg. Because of this (and its AA budget), its less-than-optimal weapon mechanics are of tertiary concern, but it's not egregious in the least bit and firefights still have plenty of fun to be had when wacky weapons and Time Dilation are thrown in the mix. Overall its a somewhat janky but satisfying experience nonetheless.

Beyond its phenomenal and mostly well-executed (if not traditional) core elements, many would claim that Outer Worlds feels very much like an amalgam of various franchises (and therefore is a cheap facsimile of past games), and I would agree with them to a very certain extent. It's not difficult to sense traces of influence from games like Borderlands, Bioshock, Dishonored, and of course Fallout, specifically New Vegas. However, that actually plays out to its strength because of how well it pronounces its own swag and maintains its own wacky but unique sense of self in a brand new environment. Never once do you believe while playing through The Outer Worlds that any of its outside influences define the title or the experience in an explicit fashion; they only serve to bring a familiar sense of awareness to the game that players can identify with, but not one that is wholly unoriginal or completely attached in an overpowering manner. The Outer Worlds is its own game by its own right and most will not be bothered by the customary undertones or familiar feels. On the contrary, they will celebrate them with applaud.

This is my light review for Obsidian's latest and most anticipated title, The Outer Worlds. I personally give this game high praise for accomplishing its mission statement and giving roleplay fans what they've always wanted more of - a spiritual successor to the fanatically acclaimed Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian is back in the saddle and so are RPGs!

Exquisite.
  40. Oct 27, 2019
    Everything you'd expect from an old school role-playing game that tastes like Fallout. Charismatic characters, solid mechanics and dialogues with that characteristic black humor. If you're a fan of this type of games, it's a must-have title, and if you're not, it's also a must-have title, even if it's just to support one of the few companies that still do quality work.
  41. Oct 26, 2019
    The game really brings everything what you would expect from this style of RPG. Writing and voice acting are top notch, with interesting characters and their stories, silly and dark at the same time (Leonard's Boyarsky and Tim's Cane signature style is really obvious, and I love it) The space western style of it fits perfectly in this universe. The makro idea is fantastic, corporationThe game really brings everything what you would expect from this style of RPG. Writing and voice acting are top notch, with interesting characters and their stories, silly and dark at the same time (Leonard's Boyarsky and Tim's Cane signature style is really obvious, and I love it) The space western style of it fits perfectly in this universe. The makro idea is fantastic, corporation taking over everything. Can't say, that I enjoy stealth a lot, bit maybe it just needs some time to get used to it. Graphics are ok, but I don't think people who will play this game care much about it. I saw complaints about it not being a full open world game, but personally I like it, reminds of Metro exodus with somewhat smaller areas. All in all Obsidian did a great job! I don't like comparing games, but as much as I'm a Fallout universe fan, I enjoy this game much more, than what Bethesda does for the last ten or so years. Bottom line, imagine Mass Effect and Fallout: New Vegas had a baby, and it was raised by the Wasteland franchise, this is what you would get. Expand
  42. Oct 26, 2019
    Played on windows 10 version.
    Played on windows 10 version.
    first of all i will say this game does look very beautiful, however i found my self having stutters and frame rate drops on medium graphics even with my GTX1060. Outer worlds is a great RPG experience, however i felt it was too short lived; it was disapointing when i finished the campaign and found out i could not continue exploring like other RPG experiences, recognise that it was going for a fallout 1-2 ending style, however i would have preferred to continue playing. another aspect i found made it shorter was the lack of explorable planets, although there is at least 8 planets on the map there is only around 5 explorable ones which is a bit misleading. the armour and weapons also feels a bit stagnant when you get towards the end of the game, there is not really any new or cool styles to find. playing on hard difficulty i feel like the easiness of the game also made it too short. although it may sound like i didn't like this game overall i had fun even if it was a bit too short for my liking.
  43. Oct 28, 2019
    A great start, but they really needed to implement the stuff that are also bad about Fallout? Also, there's a lot of silly quests, like, you speak to the NPC, then you go to the next room, read a document that is conviniently right there, go back and talk again to the NPC. Wow, mission acomplished! There are some graphical glitches, but in general it's a good game. Far from perfect, but fun.
  44. Oct 31, 2019
    ties for best rpg available on PS4 along with persona 5 and the witcher 3 and tbh by the time i beat it i may think it's the best overall periodt
  45. Oct 30, 2019
    If you like single player "Western" RPG's get this. Its free on Xbox Gamepass but if I'd have paid $59 I'd still be happy. I can't stand multiplayer games any more and less and less single player games are getting made. With the 6-7 year Bethesda schedule its just really lean for this type of game. So when this was announced I was pretty excited. Obsidian did Kotor 2 and Fallout New VegasIf you like single player "Western" RPG's get this. Its free on Xbox Gamepass but if I'd have paid $59 I'd still be happy. I can't stand multiplayer games any more and less and less single player games are getting made. With the 6-7 year Bethesda schedule its just really lean for this type of game. So when this was announced I was pretty excited. Obsidian did Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas both of which are in my all time top 20 games ( if I had such a list ). This is very much in the same category as those games or other RPG's like Fallout, Mass Effect, Witcher, Skyrim Etc. At launch I experienced no bugs, had a lot of fun, and feel like this is a pretty solid game launch. Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas both had some bugs well into the life of those games but so far I have not had any issues after 30 hours of play. I feel like that's not mentioned enough. On top of the Fallout in Space theme that this game looks like on paper It also has tons of references to Sci Fi culture in general. Firefly, Star Wars, Buck Rogers. In fact Buck Rogers is very similar to how this game starts funny enough. 99% of people reading this have no idea what that is. Probably 99% of gamers will never play this game though. Its not a game made for the masses. its made for the 1% of the population that gets its and does a great job satisfying that 1%. Thanks to Obsidian for making it! Expand
  46. Oct 29, 2019
    Amazing game. Great characters, great story and great world. This game is what Fallout games should be. If you like a good RPG and was a fan of Fallout games prior to Fallout 04 and ugh, Fallout 76 this is the game for you. Do yourself a favor and play this game, you won't regret it!
  47. Oct 28, 2019
    As a narrative/experience, it's amazing.
    As an RPG, it's very good.
    As a sci-fi FPS, it's OK.
    As a loot-grind game, it doesn't rate, because it's not trying to do that.
    As a sandbox game, same as above.

This game is awesome and I want more like it.
  48. Oct 31, 2019
    Awesome RPG, as everyone should be. You missed it? Buy The outer worlds, you won't regret!
  49. Oct 30, 2019
    I really want to see Obsidian go further. The Outer Worlds was a fantastic breath of fresh air. No microtransactions no nonsense. The writing was hilarious and the exploration was thrilling. The only gripe I have is that the combat was a little repetitive.
  50. Oct 30, 2019
    This game is unfortunately too much like Fallout New Vegas. So if you loved Fallout New Vegas you'll love this game. If you thought that New Vegas was great in the beginning but then bogged down with too much grinding and no real motivation to continue at a certain point in the plot you wont like this game. And because of that I can't give this an 8. I think your either going toThis game is unfortunately too much like Fallout New Vegas. So if you loved Fallout New Vegas you'll love this game. If you thought that New Vegas was great in the beginning but then bogged down with too much grinding and no real motivation to continue at a certain point in the plot you wont like this game. And because of that I can't give this an 8. I think your either going to think its an ok game or an awesome game, no inbetween. That being said this is a mixed review, but the game is well done just not for all audiences. This is for the FNV crowd. Expand
  51. Oct 29, 2019
    Dont expect Fallout 3 or 4! The outer worlds started slow and the combat was clunky in my opinion and i was ready to throw in the towel at about 10 hours of play BUT i stuck with it and played more and now im in love. Great game folks. Definitely worth $60 for some great entertainment.
  52. Nov 6, 2019
    For 40 hours I had the pleasure of playing "The Outer Worlds", and I think I did all the side quests. So the game isn't like Open World monsters like "Horizon Zero Dawn" or "Fallout 4", but it's just the right length for an AAA game. After all, you want to do something else in life.

But you really get a lot to do. You have to cope with the most different tasks, from simple fetch quests to diplomatic tightrope acts between different factions. I didn't do much and concentrated on the "soft" approaches: You can paralyze enemy robots by hacking and convince your opponents with language skills instead of killing them. You have to kill yucky creatures and bandits, of course, but you have your companions, who are really helpful (unlike in "Fallout 4"), not only in combat, but also in other tasks. Sometimes it's almost too many quests at once. At some point, I didn't even know what it was about anymore.

Whining at a high level: There is far too much micromanagement in it for me. The skill and crafting system is designed for a huge Open World game and therefore for a game that you get through in a week simply too complicated and redundant. There is an awful lot of weapons, but basically you can get through the game well with a light assault rifle alone, perhaps supplemented by a light machine gun. You give them a bigger magazine and make them more precise - more weapon modification is actually not necessary. Modding armour is pointless. The "skills" system, where you improve more and more in special abilities, is too specific - after all, you skill a human and not a computer here. The makers took the system from their own "Fallout New Vegas" and already then I found it too cumbersome.

Further small stuff are the too small font and the rather old-fashioned animations of the conversation partners. But the English actors did a good job. The humour is quite nice, but still too nice and predictable for my taste. But hey, this is a game and not a sitcom.

Last but not least: I haven't found a single bug and haven't had one crash! The fact that you have to mention something like that at all is a nice greeting to the "Fallout"-makers of Bethesda, who still deliver defective products without hesitation and pretend that there is nothing they can do about it. "The Outer Worlds" is the better "Fallout" in this respect as well.
  53. Oct 29, 2019
    Whereas Fallout 4 provided a large and interesting open world to explore, with watered down RPG elements a terrible dialogue system, The Outer Worlds does the exact opposite, providing more traditional RPG elements and an excellent dialogue system, but at the cost of having small and largely uninteresting areas. Overall however, the quality of the game's quest more than makes up for it'sWhereas Fallout 4 provided a large and interesting open world to explore, with watered down RPG elements a terrible dialogue system, The Outer Worlds does the exact opposite, providing more traditional RPG elements and an excellent dialogue system, but at the cost of having small and largely uninteresting areas. Overall however, the quality of the game's quest more than makes up for it's lack of quantity. Expand
  54. Oct 30, 2019
    While this game isn't an ever expansive open world game where you can find yourself exploring and completing side quests for over 100 hours, it is a well crafted and detailed smaller world with much thought and care put into most interactions and the consequences of your choices. This leads to a 30-40 hpur experience with refreshing freedom of choice and enticing prospects for replayingWhile this game isn't an ever expansive open world game where you can find yourself exploring and completing side quests for over 100 hours, it is a well crafted and detailed smaller world with much thought and care put into most interactions and the consequences of your choices. This leads to a 30-40 hpur experience with refreshing freedom of choice and enticing prospects for replaying various scenarios. Expand
  55. Nov 2, 2019
    I thought a game couldn't be anymore up my street but it plays like a game from 2009 and looks so terrible 10 hours in I just can't be bothered to contiue
  56. Oct 29, 2019
    Нереально крутая игра, Obsidian, как всегда на высоте! Это вам не те самые.... Продолжайте в том же духе.
  57. Oct 27, 2019
    This game will scratch your RPG itch that has been left untouched for so many years. The Outer Worlds channels original Fallouts, New Vegas, SW: KOTOR, Mass Effect and the like and covers it with a fresh coat of modern graphics and contemporary systems to make a game that has absolutely no right to exist in the current ecosystem.
  58. Oct 28, 2019
    Wow what a game!!! This is 10 times better than Bethesda's Fallout which is a load of rubbish!!
  59. Oct 25, 2019
    This game is a breath of fresh air if you liked fallout new Vegas this should be a must own if you have not played any fallout games let me put your mind at ease the shooting is great in this game you never get the feeling that you can't beat an enemy because your guns under powered and useless at the same time weapons and armor degradation does happen but with all the ways to fix it fromThis game is a breath of fresh air if you liked fallout new Vegas this should be a must own if you have not played any fallout games let me put your mind at ease the shooting is great in this game you never get the feeling that you can't beat an enemy because your guns under powered and useless at the same time weapons and armor degradation does happen but with all the ways to fix it from items you buy to stores who can fix them for you you never feel like you're forced to go to shops and buy new gear and if you want to you can kill every NPC in the game and still win the game and if you want you can finish quests in any way you may want a guy in a quest i was on gave me a hard choice kill a whole city or kill a bunch of poor people i shot the guy point blank with a shotgun and gave the poor people the city but thats not the only way to do that quest it really feels up to you on how you wish to play Expand
  60. Oct 28, 2019
    This game is exactly what I hoped it would be. A real space RPG with a colorful cast and a wicked sense of humor. Gameplay is really enjoyable and it's easy to get lost in it for hours.
  61. Nov 6, 2019
    It's a great game that takes all the lovable elements from fallout games and not fallout 76, thankfully so.
  62. Oct 30, 2019
    Игра божественная! Поиграть стоит всем фанатам жанра.
  63. Oct 29, 2019
    Great game! Really oldschool in 3D. It played like Fallout in his best times.
  64. Oct 29, 2019
    This game is an absolute blast, the world building, the combat, the characters, the writing, all amazing. The world reactivity is astounding, a reference a character made to one of the earlier jobs I took made the world feel alive, plus the humor in the reference was funny enough to almost make me piss myself. 9/10, if you like sci-fi rpgs, BUY THIS GAME.
  65. Oct 30, 2019
    An AA game that teaches big and incompetent companies a lesson, this is The Outer Worlds. This work by Obsidian and Fallout's original creators is not about doing anything exaggerated, but it's the simplicity and quality of the simple that makes Outer Worlds stand out. A real RPG, this is Outer Worlds, with choices and consequences, captivating characters, a world that really reacts toAn AA game that teaches big and incompetent companies a lesson, this is The Outer Worlds. This work by Obsidian and Fallout's original creators is not about doing anything exaggerated, but it's the simplicity and quality of the simple that makes Outer Worlds stand out. A real RPG, this is Outer Worlds, with choices and consequences, captivating characters, a world that really reacts to you, with a player driven story and all the aspects that make an RPG, an RPG, like attributes, skills , weaknesses etc. It is noteworthy that all these characteristics affect your interaction with other characters as well as your interaction with the world. Don't be fooled by the hateful criticism of some, Outer Worlds is an awesome RPG, but remember it's an RPG, so if you don't like RPGs, I mean real RPGs, don't play, otherwise have fun with this game. Expand
  66. Oct 30, 2019
    In a nutshell, it is Fallout New Vegas with some Mass Effect thrown into the mix. The graphics are okay but the meat of this game is the characters and story. Those of us that are New Vegas fans will be very happy with the game and will have the void filled for a short time. I enjoyed the game tremendously and it made me realize how much i enjoy a real RPG. It has it's flaws as allIn a nutshell, it is Fallout New Vegas with some Mass Effect thrown into the mix. The graphics are okay but the meat of this game is the characters and story. Those of us that are New Vegas fans will be very happy with the game and will have the void filled for a short time. I enjoyed the game tremendously and it made me realize how much i enjoy a real RPG. It has it's flaws as all games do, but the story and the characters more than make up for it. I would say 8.5 but they dont do half points so I rounded up and gave it a 9 overall because of the great time I had playing through it. I am now on my second character playing through on a harder difficulty...I think that says a lot about the game considering i usually delete a game after completing it. Expand
  67. Oct 30, 2019
    The game is beautifully blended cross between Fallout New Vegas and something to be desired from RPG of the current age. You have no reason not to pick this game up and beat it
  68. Oct 30, 2019
    If you've enjoyed Fallout New Vegas, you like well written dialogue and/or you're looking for an RPG that won't consume hundreds of hours of your life, this game is certainly something for you.
  69. Oct 30, 2019
    Hot damn this is great. A little repetitive if you are a grinder like me. i wish that there were some small changes like 3rd person perspective or keeping your gun holstered when talkin to folks but thats just me. If youre on XBL you can literally play this for like 2 dollars with the pass think fast

Edit: the pass will go back up to 14 a month take advantage
  70. Oct 30, 2019
    Enjoed the game the humor this is more than fallout could ever give, not talking about new vegas.
  71. Oct 31, 2019
    ((Notice) currently not done yet. But sick with the flu, so have been playing the last 5 days)

In short the game feels like Fallout ( 3, NV, 4) and Mass Effect had a child. And I'm loving it. The story is interesting and the dialogue hides some rather funny moments. Combat feels great. But what I love most is the exploring. There are some minor glitches, but I guess they will easily be

There are some minor glitches, but I guess they will easily be patched soon. There are some major choices to be made, and you get a feel for how it effects the Universe. How much exactly, I have yet to see. While it feels odd giving the game a ten, ( it makes the impression it's the best thing ever), I simply can't think of anything really negative about the game as of yet.
  72. Oct 31, 2019
    Games great for a >AA< title. Believe me it's no AAA title like Fallout. Good for Obsidian's first title that isn't riding Fallout's coattails, and engine. This game is nothing like Fallout so idk why these Fallout ****boys are comparing it to Fallout 4, which was a trash game like 76. And did I mention this is a AA title which means it got less funding than Fallout 4.
  73. Oct 31, 2019
    The game excels in what Obsidian does best but the smaller scale and limited budget keeps it from achieving absolute greatness.
  74. Oct 31, 2019
    Can’t put the game down. It’s a little eerie at times bc the ai don’t interact with the environment much but it’s super fun. I have enjoyed this much more than fallout 4 so far.
  75. Nov 1, 2019
    Прекрасная игра! Красивый и увлекательный мир, разнообразная прокачка персонажа, хорошие квесты. В игру просто интересно играть и исследовать мир! Всем любителям фантастики играть обязательно!
  76. Nov 1, 2019
    this game is exactly what i think many have been looking for, great looking environments a mix of non linear and linear storytelling, interesting social and political themes. but, gun play is rather standard and time dilation seems to be really really strong. the rpg elements can seem somewhat basic if you look at the skills but if you look at the sheer amount of ways you can completethis game is exactly what i think many have been looking for, great looking environments a mix of non linear and linear storytelling, interesting social and political themes. but, gun play is rather standard and time dilation seems to be really really strong. the rpg elements can seem somewhat basic if you look at the skills but if you look at the sheer amount of ways you can complete quests, those criticisms don't really bother me.

buuuuuuttttt, the criticism this game gets is abit unusual as it mostly boils down to "0 out of 10, bethesdas better, fallout 4 has better gun play and its a man hating game for sjw's" like what? i can understand the better gunplay (because it does) but people saying that the enemies dont react when hit clearly hasn't gotten their guns skill over 20. also, in the first planet (light spoilers) the leader of edgewater is seen as bad and the leader of the deserters is seen as a vengeful women who wants to keep her group pure, yes shes into eugentics. im not joking, shes a women in a game whos into eugenics where apparently its sjw and man hating, dude this game just straight up hates everyone.
  77. Nov 1, 2019
    Hands down one of the beat rpg’s in a while, it’s a shame it couldn’t last longer.
  78. Nov 1, 2019
    this game is hard to go wrong with and for a lot of different people it will fill different holes left by fallout and such
  79. Nov 1, 2019
    Simply the best first person action RPG we have seen in a while. Must buy if fan of fallout.
  80. Nov 1, 2019
    I just finished my first game. It was what i wanted but shorter then i would like. I cant wait to replay it and hope they will make DLC.
  81. Nov 2, 2019
    It reminds me greatly of the original Fallout games for PC way back in the day. The game is stuffed with lore, the setting is farcical to an extreme and the scope of the adventure is fairly large on saving the population but the area is kinda small. It's concise and dense with passable combat and interesting characters and a lot of deadpan humor with great voicework along with greatIt reminds me greatly of the original Fallout games for PC way back in the day. The game is stuffed with lore, the setting is farcical to an extreme and the scope of the adventure is fairly large on saving the population but the area is kinda small. It's concise and dense with passable combat and interesting characters and a lot of deadpan humor with great voicework along with great visuals. I highly recommend for anyone that played those classics or wants some more RPG goodness. I know this is mostly the same word for word as my review for it on Xbox One but it's the same game for crying out loud. Expand
  82. Nov 2, 2019
    круто то что надо для хорошего настроения и весёлых поседндок с доузяимсррпои
  83. Nov 2, 2019
    I love it, I haven't been so happy with a single player rpg for a long time. I hope Obsydian will.contiune with this title so we can dive into Outer Worlds universe again in the future.
  84. Nov 2, 2019
    Fantastic game. What Fallout should of been like. Didn’t think I would like it as I much but definitely one of the best games I’ve played this year. Hoping they’ll be DLC too.
  85. Nov 2, 2019
    If you love fallout* games (I'm not talking about f76) it's autobuy game for you. I'm not able to skip any side quest as I'm really enjoying doing each of them!! So far I can't say any bad word about outer world :) buy it now!!!
  86. Nov 2, 2019
    Great entry to the fallout genre. Notice I say genre and not series. Outer world's included many of fallouts best elements like complex dialog and choice based story line, skill progression and pickpocketing :), but is a new series in its own right. New characters and storyline leave this game feeling fresh and exciting. A few quirks to be had, for example the inventory UI needs work andGreat entry to the fallout genre. Notice I say genre and not series. Outer world's included many of fallouts best elements like complex dialog and choice based story line, skill progression and pickpocketing :), but is a new series in its own right. New characters and storyline leave this game feeling fresh and exciting. A few quirks to be had, for example the inventory UI needs work and UI in general needs work. Other than that, awesome writing as expected from obsidian games, great⚡ combat system and weapon system. Good stat and upgrade system. Reallt fun game that I've already poured all my free time into!! I recommend! Expand
  87. Nov 3, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is a great game at holding over anyone's thirst for a new Bethesda game. A new IP with some great writing and RPG systems. It's an enjoyable ride through space with your fellow companions
  88. Nov 3, 2019
    The game is super. Plot, sound, picture... everything is at the highest level. Recommend.
  89. Nov 4, 2019
    O Game é excelente tras elementos de fallout mas com sua propria essência
  90. Nov 5, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is what Fallout should have evolved into. Obsidian has hit it out of the ballpark with a gorgeous game featuring a stellar story with engaging dialogue, beautiful environments, and fluid, enjoyable combat. The game has New Vegas story vibes with Mass Effect style combat. A must have for any RPG fan!
  91. Nov 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is amazing................................................................................ Expand
  92. Nov 5, 2019
    Absolute best action RPG from this generation of consoles. Gunplay is pretty good, the actual RPG elements are a bit simplified but still enjoyable and the loot is fantastic. Fantastic game, couldn't recommend enough.
  93. Nov 6, 2019
    Great game. Whoever is saying this isn't Fallout is just wrong. This is pretty much Fallout 1 and 2, but in first person, which is a very good thing. The humor, the multiple ways of solving quests and a feeling of true impact of your actions, it's all Fallout 1 and 2 all over again.

The good: very well written, in terms of story and characters. Situations are not black and white, nor are the characters you encounter. (spoiler ahead) As an example, the first bad guy you encounter is actually not bad at all. Dialog and voice acting are on point. The game makes it seem as if your actions matter. The character creation is simple, but inspired.

The bad: I'm not a fan of the art style and color palette, though I guess that's just taste. The game is too short.

In the end, a game whose worst flaw is that it's too short is a good thing. I just want more of it.
  94. Nov 6, 2019
    All that we needed since the release of fallout new vegas is in this game. The environment, the original gameplay, the sound acting are all perfect. Aside from the main story, everything about this game is perfect.
  95. Nov 8, 2019
    Bite sized, yet pound for pound best fallout experience since FNV.
    And yes, though they cant use the name this is a FO game.
    Concept is pretty unique. Corporation mentality as the cause for the post-apoc worldview. Tastefully tackles economics, religion and spirituality with lots of sarcasm and little pandering. Dialogues mercilessly trump all of bethesda's FOs, Companions are way more
    Bite sized, yet pound for pound best fallout experience since FNV.
    And yes, though they cant use the name this is a FO game.
    Dialogues mercilessly trump all of bethesda's FOs,
    Companions are way more fun and interactive than any other FO.
    Graphics are extremely well done for a limited budget.
    VO are very well done, music is very minimalistic, there is no radio.
    Shooting is pretty average but interactive companion abilities makes it fun.
    Perks and flaws are very limited FOs are better here.
    CC is terrible, though its fully first person and you only get to see your character in menus, so it does not matter much.
  96. Oct 25, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so fun. I can tell I’m going to sink a ton of hours into this on multiple play throughs. For my first I’m playing a dumb character and I recommend it for some of the resolutions you can achieve when NPCs just don’t want to explain anymore. Also character creation has a nice nod to working class folks giving them bonuses based off of occupations. It’s nice to see a janitors and warehouse workers and stuff get cool little bonuses for their occupations Expand
  97. Oct 28, 2019
    This is the 1-st RPG after DOS 2 which is worth every $ paid and even more. Don't believe anyone just try it yourself/

Update: Today i have finished this game so i can share some thoughts. Overall game is very good. As for what could be better: 1. Game is too short. Low budget is it's main nemesis. 2. Late game locations, especially Byzantium, are very small. 3. Ending off the game

1. Game is too short. Low budget is it's main nemesis.
    2. Late game locations, especially Byzantium, are very small.
    3. Ending off the game is a little bit disappointing. I expected something more epic.
    4. During final assault we have many fractions supporting us, but why do we need them if we can just use holographic suit and run through the location? There are several such points in the game which i wish to have more logic and some choice to make...
  98. Oct 27, 2019
    This is what a Fallout game should’ve been: great humor and writing, interesting quests and meaningful decisions.
  99. Oct 28, 2019
    Great gameplay, amazing dialogue, intriguing progression system and beautiful worlds to explore. If you have enjoyed Obsidian's previous similar title, Fallout: New Vegas, or just like RPG/shooters in general, I can guarantee you that you will love this game. In addition to already being a solid experience, there are also no microtransactions or any other distasteful business schemes toGreat gameplay, amazing dialogue, intriguing progression system and beautiful worlds to explore. If you have enjoyed Obsidian's previous similar title, Fallout: New Vegas, or just like RPG/shooters in general, I can guarantee you that you will love this game. In addition to already being a solid experience, there are also no microtransactions or any other distasteful business schemes to take the joy out of your play time. Expand
  100. Oct 27, 2019
    One low review opens with NO COMPANIONS. Ow ya they played the ever living heck out of Outer Worlds lol. Seriously this game is a game made for the rpg player. Cool retro 50’s sifi look that brings you right there. Well I can’t believe the guys who helped invent Fallout and FO Vegas, built a game following there original vision of an rpg. What? The team delivered on everything theyOne low review opens with NO COMPANIONS. Ow ya they played the ever living heck out of Outer Worlds lol. Seriously this game is a game made for the rpg player. Cool retro 50’s sifi look that brings you right there. Well I can’t believe the guys who helped invent Fallout and FO Vegas, built a game following there original vision of an rpg. What? The team delivered on everything they promised and set out to do. The characters I find are great, from funny to boneheads and the guy you’d love to smack! They got them all. If you love sifi exploration and choices this is the game for you. Expand

1. Nov 11, 2019
    The Outer Worlds regains the spirit of Fallout: New Vegas to offer a space adventure that brings back the best of the genre. His dialogues and his funny characters draw more than one smile and his plot keeps glued to command for hours.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Nov 10, 2019
    It might not always say what you want it to hear, but the words stay with you. [Issue#139, p.110]
  3. Nov 8, 2019
    While a bit safe in design, The Outer World offers a well imagined new world with great writing, crazy characters & politics, 30 well-packed hours with tons of replayability and a sublime background texture of Easter eggs, tributes and well crafted jokes.