8.0

1. Oct 25, 2019
    An interesting study.

It is hard to not want to like this game given its pedigree. It is certainly a good game and a mostly well made game in its own right but that said the whole is not quite as good as the sum of its parts. Lets get the TL;DR out of the way. While it does a lot of what people expected of it from playing like a merger of Fallout and bioware RPGs the end result of
    An interesting study.

Lets get the TL;DR out of the way. While it does a lot of what people expected of it from playing like a merger of Fallout and bioware RPGs the end result of such story lines lack that same narrative spark that Bioware RPGs are known for. It takes the trying too hard over the top comedy of Borderlands, adds the romance, relationships and endless dialog of a bioware RPG, Bethesdas janitor simulator gameplay where all you do is wander an near endless sandbox picking up and sorting garbage and sets it with a setting and cast straight out of "a whole ship of Han Solo's" of firefly. To some that sounds like their wet dream of a video game. Honestly when its all assembled its like the worst parts of all of those franchises. Its tedious, ridiculous, and sometimes actually enjoyable. It is however long stretches between those moments.

The remainder is specifics as to why it plays like this.

On the flipside of the coin its mechanical game play feels a bit too simplified and lacking the same teeth. Especially when you feel the results of your consequent level upgrades. Playing as if theres really little change from level to level or even over several levels to major skill unlocks.

Its biggest flaw is its setting and narrative. Like it is trying a little too hard to be this much fallout, this much bioware, that much borderlands. Also the "whole ship of han solo's" trope is played out and honestly just as unbearable as it has been since the likes of Firefly first tried it. The "cast of lovable goofballs and badasses" is ridiculous and shows that the plot itself lacks teeth that could have been had with such a story. It renders most of the characters stories without depth and illicit little actual caring for their plight due to the ever present comical or whimsical nonsense lurking around the corner. It may be a style many people like but its the difference between watching some vapid summer popcorn munching blockbuster that cant even go half its runtime before it starts lulling you to sleep with constant barrage of "awesome" and pandering fan service and sitting down to experience an actual film with depth, that provokes thought and reflection or elicits genuine emotion
    that leaves you wanting more and more. That proves to be a BIG problem in a game that has so many hours of dialog as it becomes tedious and forgettable VERY quickly.

Do not get me wrong, Its a good game, but at this stage of reviewing its important to get a more objective perspective than people review bombing it into oblivion, or blindly fawning over it like its the second coming that WILL wear off when people get deeper into the content and/or when the novelty of it has worn off and when looking back on it.

Its definitely a game of the year type game. That said it marks a fairly pedestrian if not outright bad year in gaming. I would give it either the highest possible seven or the lowest possible 8 and leaning personally more toward a 7. However accepting the game related to the entire potential audience for it and trying to also not be TOO nitpicky critical siding on the games behalf I would begrudgingly accept an 8 as a reasonable approximation. Though definitely in the B- category.

Its not a generation defining title like say a Dark Souls was for last gen, but its definitely a solid foundation that a somewhat quick sequel in about 2 years can iron out most of the mechanical issues and give time to craft a better story while utilizing the same engine and assets or perhaps with modest graphical upgrades as an early if not launch title for next generation.

So personally I would say unless you are REALLY dying for an RPG right now you could stand at least a couple weeks for a significant price reduction and be fully justified in doing so. Rushing to pay full price for this I cannot really recommend because while a sound cobbling together its literally nothing you have not already seen before.
  2. Oct 25, 2019
    Quick review because I'm really enjoying this game. Outer Worlds is the Fallout 4 Bethesda should have gifted us with... but in space. It's charming, whacky and random, which is what I expect for these types of games. It's very much influenced by such games as New Vegas and Kotor, maybe a bit too much, but that really isn't a bad thing. If you like these two games, you'll love Outer Worlds.
  3. Oct 25, 2019
    This game is excactly what I was hoping for. As a huge fan of the older Fallout series I can tell, this the progression the newer Fallout games failed to achieve.
  4. Oct 25, 2019
    Finally a game to help fill the void left by studios like the nowadays awful BioWare. Outer Worlds is highly recommended :).
  5. Oct 26, 2019
    It's got great RPG elements, and you can play however you want. Player choice is fantastic and the dialogue is done very well. Characters are very interesting, and they all have their own quirks which brought many a smile to my face. City design, and interiors are crafted beautifully.

The Bads The graphics are just terrible! Everything is a blurry saturated colourful eye-sore, it's

The Bads

The graphics are just terrible! Everything is a blurry saturated colourful eye-sore, it's so hard to differentiate anything in this world, everything has the same colour palette and enemies blend in with what's behind them!

Enemy design leaves something to be admired, blue dinosaurs, pink dinosaurs, green dinosaurs, blue green pink dinosaurs, they might be very well designed, but I can't **** see them!

The worlds in this game are terrible, everything is exactly the same, it's only the cities and interiors that seem to have had any effort put in, you walk down a highlighted path, bumping into the same marauders situated in the middle of the road, surrounded by a few boxes, it's the same interaction in what feels like the same area over and over and over again. No outposts, structures, places that you would remember, if I asked you to name the last interaction you had with marauders you would say, in the middle of the road surrounded by boxes, it's bad, super bad. I know it's not fallout, but if there was named areas, such as a shopping mall full of marauders, It would have changed this game completely.

No places to visit outside of the cities, it's just a vast swamp of colours, grass, trees, rocks.

The loot is nothing special, looting feels janky to me in this game, objects get surrounded by a blue highlight to show that it can be picked up, however nothing seems worth picking up, it's just bottles and food, the occasional gun that looks identical to the others even with it being a different kind, I don't know, looting just feels off in this game to me.

To summarise,

It's the best RPG we have had this year, full of choices, consequences, roll playing, character creation, but it's a far cry from what it could have been, it is definitely not game of the year and it is not as good as the feedback it is receiving, outside of the quests and story it's nothing but a copy and paste over saturated eye burner which leaves little in terms of game play.

5/10.
  6. Oct 26, 2019
    What a Chore ,

The Game is boring af it feels like a fallout 4 for the poor. The Open Areas are blend and small and full of Copy/Paste Content. You see the same generic enemies bandits or animals every 10 meters. The Story ? Totaly Forgetable. Cant Remember a single note worthy charachter. Obsidian dont have any good writers now ! The Game is a trainwreck never i was this
    What a Chore ,

Obsidian dont have any good writers now ! The Game is a trainwreck never i was this dissaponited. Even the 1 Buck for Gamepass was to much. I rather go back to the Average Fallout 4 than continuing this nightmare of a game. All Characters , NPC or Building looks the same. Fallout 4 plays in a **** wasteland and has more variety than a Game that play in the **** Space with multilple Planets. Jesus Christ. Worse game i played this year.

Gunplay is awful. Voice Acting Cheesy and have i allready said how awful and generic the writing is ?
  7. Nov 13, 2019
    If Mass Effect was "Start Trek: The Game", Outer Worlds is "Firefly: The Game". Lower budget, lower stakes, but still fun. Obsidian took everything they learned from making Fallout: New Vegas and made this Sci-Fi RPG. It's definitely better than anything Bethesda has released in the past few years, but it's no masterpiece. The game is packed with unnecessary systems that are only thereIf Mass Effect was "Start Trek: The Game", Outer Worlds is "Firefly: The Game". Lower budget, lower stakes, but still fun. Obsidian took everything they learned from making Fallout: New Vegas and made this Sci-Fi RPG. It's definitely better than anything Bethesda has released in the past few years, but it's no masterpiece. The game is packed with unnecessary systems that are only there because other games have them and fans would be disappointed if they were missing, but offer nothing to the game. The writing is the biggest selling point of the game (the combat definitely isn't) and although NPCs offer somewhat interesting conversations, the majority of the quests are simple fetch quests with no twists, many being extremely disappointing. As an example, there is a side quest that involves you finding a murder scene. A murder mystery! Awesome! Time to investigate! You immediately find a clue, you ask someone about it and immediately they tell you who the killer is. You confront them, end of quest. No intrigue, no interrogations, no twists. So much wasted potential. Your companions, save for one or two, also suffer the same problem, with their storylines being extremely dull and short. The worlds you explore are well made, though divided by long loading screens, and overall the game was engaging enough for me to complete the main quest, but I still had the nagging feeling that it could've been so much better. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2019
    This game is an rpg, but is an incredibly linear one that gives you the illusion of choice rather than actual choice. The dialogue options are far weaker than fallout 1, 2, and new Vegas and the rpg mechanics aren’t as good. This is an alright game that I would recommend to buy on sale, but it is pretty short and not the rpg I was looking for. The outer worlds is by no means a bad game,This game is an rpg, but is an incredibly linear one that gives you the illusion of choice rather than actual choice. The dialogue options are far weaker than fallout 1, 2, and new Vegas and the rpg mechanics aren’t as good. This is an alright game that I would recommend to buy on sale, but it is pretty short and not the rpg I was looking for. The outer worlds is by no means a bad game, but it is not the masterpiece some are toting it to be. People are desperate for actual rpgs and not action games with a few rpg mechanics. This overall was an alright game and an enjoyable experience. Expand
  9. Jan 22, 2020
    Des promesses non tenues quand au retour en force de Obsidian, l'histoire est sans intérêt comme la plupart des quêtes, graphiquement c'est moches et les personnages sont inintéressants. Les dialogues sont insipides malgré un certain humour et la multitude de loot est aussi inutile et fatigante que les écrans de chargement.
  10. May 17, 2020
    In a time when most of the biggest names in RPGs have largely jumped ship to pursue the games as a service model, it's nice to see there are still a few developers out there making them in this classic style. This space western feels like they took one of the best titles from the last generation and polished it to play like today's biggest hits. The gunplay, exploration, and underlyingIn a time when most of the biggest names in RPGs have largely jumped ship to pursue the games as a service model, it's nice to see there are still a few developers out there making them in this classic style. This space western feels like they took one of the best titles from the last generation and polished it to play like today's biggest hits. The gunplay, exploration, and underlying systems are all up to modern standards, but it's a blast from the past at its core.

Freedom really is the name of the game. The Outer Worlds wastes little time before letting you off the leash to roam its various memorable planets and interact with their inhabitants. As I picked up quests I was amazed at how open ended they were. You're given the tools and mechanics to be who you want to be and do things how you want to do them, with the outcomes being reactive to your every decision. Because of this there are many branching paths through the story and all of them are worth taking due to how humorous the writing is. While you're rather limited in terms of what you can do for your appearance, it's what's under the skin that counts and you truly can create any kind of character you want with things like background and selected intelligence or perception levels effecting everything from dialog options to combat buffs.

Naturally, all of this gives players plenty of reasons to keep coming back. There's more stuff here than you'll be able to see on a single or even a second playthrough making it fairly sizable for a AA title. To make matters better it's all very high quality. There are some issues however. A few bugs and glitches are present, such as one that kept resetting a companion's perk points and deleted whatever armor I would give them. You can also see some areas where they maybe had to trim back some things to fit the budget constraints. There are a few planets of the map that despite being named are unable to be visited. These will likely be the sites for future DLC, but regardless of whether or not I will be able to travel to them on the future I would have preferred it had I not been able to see them in-game until that time as it comes off too much like Destiny's paywall locked, on-disc content. There are also your shipmates to think about. Some like Parvati have fully fleshed out plotlines and interactions, while others like Felix feel like most of their role was was left on the cutting room floor.

All in all though, my enjoyment was hindered very little by the flaws. This is the kind of RPG many of us have been craving ever since we moved on from the Xbox 360 and PS3 era. Old features like not having a voiced protagonist reminded me how much joy I got back in the day from being in charge of every little thing my custom avatar said and made conversations far more personal to me than the automatic small talk that's been popularized by the Mass Effect sequels. The only thing I ever really want from my role playing games is to discover exciting new worlds and define myself as I see fit in them. The Outer Worlds let me do that without any aspect seeming dumbed-down for the masses or making me feel like I wasn't 100% in control. If those same qualities are what you look for as well, then this should hands down be your next purchase.

9.3/10
  11. Jun 11, 2020
    The Outer Worlds has most of what you loved about games like Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas, with a few added upgrades, but also a few faults too.

Firstly, the game is beautiful, but load times happen too often and take too long (playing on a vanilla OG PS4), The map is really bare with few details, and things like where and how you access fast travel locations and other map info is awkward and archaic. You can't set multiple quests as active like you can in Skyrim and Fallout, which is really annoying if you're someone like me who does side-quests in bulk, and then likes to turn them all in one after another.

Occasionally I will experience a bug, but the game is no-where like Fallout 76 was at one point. To elaborate further, standard buggy stuff like, the room sound fx not loading with the rest of the location, getting glitched into a mountainside or something when you drop into the wrong spot, etc. but like I said, overall it's very rare that you'll experience any of that.

I hate that you can't swim or climb up mountains, or really any kind of hill or incline. The game makers clearly want you to stay on the path, and play a slightly more "linear type open-world".

You weren't supposed to be able to climb the mountains in Skyrim, but you could do it if you really wanted to; and sometimes you want to climb over something in Outer Worlds to cut travel in half, and it looks like an obstacle that you could easily conquer in Skyrim, but you won't get up one inch in Outer Worlds.

It's something that was very frustrating for me at first, but once you learn the limitations that the game has set for you, you get used to it and you adapt to a certain way that they want you to play the game, and that's not necessarily bad.

The narrative tends to go on too long and get over-indulgent, within awkward areas of the plot, of pretty much any and most quests. The writing tries to be funny too often for me, and even though you have the choice of a string of dialog that leads you away from that, it's still written there and wants to be considered a viable option.

Do you like compiling endless amounts of junk, modding and breaking down weapons for parts to repeat the whole process? then you'll enjoy this game. There is a lot of that.

There are a number of fun things to do with leveling up and applying perks, and a flaw, that I will not go into because I think that it spoils some of the game, but it's definitely a fun and rewarding way to level up and progress your character throughout the game.

I think that the combat is quite easy, even on the hard setting. There is a hardcore mode, but I don't want to play as a survivalist, (have to sleep to heal limbs, eat and drink often etc.) that's just not my thing.

I guess a lot of what I wrote was negative, but you can see that I still gave the game a 7/10, and didn't highlight more of the positives within the game. I did that because all of the positives are things that you would find in games like Bioshock, Skyrim, and Fallout 3/New Vegas/4 to name some, and if you liked those games, almost certainly you are going to find The Outer Worlds is a game worth playing.

At the time of me writing this review, the game is $29.99 on the PS Store if you have PSPlus. Go try it out, it's definitely worth playing if you liked playing those games I mentioned above, just don' expect it to be better in every way, or even most.
  12. Jul 6, 2020
    the bandwagon with this game was insane it had barley any player choice and the world was so boring it just kept on saying "company Bad" over and over again like i get it u do not like corporations calm down. its like they thought if they made it any less clear maybe we wouldn't pick up on it cuz were idiots.
  13. Dec 5, 2019
    Very fun game to play but there is a huge problem with the amount of content here.
    I breezed through the whole story and ALL side missions in a couple of sittings.
    I am utterly disappointed with the amount of content they give us for this price.
    That being said, the graphics are good, the gameplay is fun and the sound is decent.
    All in all, great game but WAY too short. :-(
  14. Dec 11, 2019
    This game as not as good as the ratings suggest. It is an okay game. A poor man's fallout (all the crappy bugs and glitches included). Long load screens are frequent and the stories and quests are not great. Just a very mediocre game. As much as fallout 4 was a disappointment compared to fallout 3, it was a much better game than this.
  15. Dec 21, 2019
    This game is a Pure **** you cant understand nothing and its confusion do not buy
  16. Dec 31, 2019
    I love RPG games especially in a Sci-fi setting, but this game just couldn't hold my attention.
    My biggest problem with the game are the graphical choices. If your a Colorblind player:
    AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE Non Colorblind players struggle enough, enemies blend in with the background The game is also very linear I was hoping to d do loads of exploring, but I was disappointed to
    AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE

Non Colorblind players struggle enough, enemies blend in with the background The game is also very linear I was hoping to d do loads of exploring, but I was disappointed to see very small map areas where most of the buildings are not interactive leaving no sense of freedom. Gunplay is very clunky but in a RPG this is not the end of the world. Dialogue is interesting but doesn't hook your curiosity. This feels like an indie game and if it had a lower price point it maybe worth a punt, but at AAA price I'd give it a miss. Not worth the hype unfortunately.
  17. Jan 8, 2020
    Good game, not up to hype levels it's surrounded with, because these ideas were fresh like 10 years ago when Fallout 3 and New Vegas were out. Still, good game but little bit dated both technically and graphically
  18. Feb 3, 2020
    je m enNUIE!!!! je le finis juste pour mes 60 brosouf(je suis an de fallout et c est pas ca) quelques armes et 3 mod par armes(tous les meme)
  19. Feb 21, 2020
    Classic RPG creating a world full of colourful and interesting characters while still putting the player at the centre of its universe; the genre at its most entertaining, fun and creative.
  20. Feb 27, 2020
    One of the most Amazing RPG's ever to grace the current Gen consoles, Great work by Industry Veterans Obsidian with their branching story lines and FO:New Vegas style Dialog system, had so much fun playing and finishing up the main quest with lots of Creative side quests and Good cast of companions but still there should be an option to have deeper relationship mechanic with yourOne of the most Amazing RPG's ever to grace the current Gen consoles, Great work by Industry Veterans Obsidian with their branching story lines and FO:New Vegas style Dialog system, had so much fun playing and finishing up the main quest with lots of Creative side quests and Good cast of companions but still there should be an option to have deeper relationship mechanic with your companions as post game content make them completely Lifeless. Other than that Amazing Gem of a Game. Expand
  21. Feb 27, 2020
    I bought it twice, what else you need to know? This is the way, this is the reminder of good old times, when games were games. Complete product made with care, with no special editions and microtransactions. And one of the best writing I ever saw in games...
  22. Mar 6, 2020
    Things I don't like include, the tiny text for menus which was kind of fixed in a patch but personally I still find it too small, Parvati was the only character with an interesting story ark, the draw distance for enemies did this weird dithering effect as if to try and hide them in the distance; through real eyes this wouldn't happen! Why have a stealth mechanic if the moment you attackThings I don't like include, the tiny text for menus which was kind of fixed in a patch but personally I still find it too small, Parvati was the only character with an interesting story ark, the draw distance for enemies did this weird dithering effect as if to try and hide them in the distance; through real eyes this wouldn't happen! Why have a stealth mechanic if the moment you attack an enemy all other enemies are immediately alerted; ok if you use a gun that makes sense but stealth kills with tossball sticks etc. should be a thing! When you turn up the difficulty the enemies just become bullet sponges which feels very artificial, the jump feels pointless without the ability to also clamber up on things like most other modern games allow.

One last thing, the in-game items are largely junk with no obvious use, however, when you look at items in say 'Deus Ex' when you look at them in your inventory you immediately know their use and can therefore discriminate between picking up something useless (or not) in the game world. OK, they've made a quick sell button for all the junk but personally I'd rather the game have less clutter knocking around as it breaks the flow of the game to look up if 'granny's cherry pop' is worth drinking to temporarily boost your stats. Hopefully this sort of nonsense will be ironed out in the next Outer Worlds release .

I suppose it all came down to budget and time but the things I've listed above and probably some other things I've forgotten to mention bring this down to a 7 rather than 8 out of 10.
  23. Mar 11, 2020
    + good narrative for a rpg
    + diverse missions and a lot of environments for adventure
    + creative and beautiful world with multiple planets to discover
    + player's choices matter
    + impressive voice acting comparing to other rpg games

- a very few cutscenes
    - poor and clunky gunplay
    - unbalanced difficulty
    - last gen graphics with occasional frame drops
  24. Mar 28, 2020
    Thank you, Obsidian, for making one of the best RPG experiences I have had in a very long time.

I just finished my first play through doing the main story and most of the side quests all in about 35 hours. While I felt that the experience ended a bit sooner than I wanted, I have to say that the Outer Worlds was phenomenal. I have always loved the concept of “pulp sci fi” and am a huge fan of New Vegas, so this game’s setting and design was an absolute treat. What I loved the most was its excellent writing (with all-around top notch voice acting), fully-realized and immersive setting, actual role-playing, and incredibly fun character customization. I felt that the game did a nice job balancing depth with accessibility. The experience never felt dumbed down, so I could enjoy modding my equipment and making minute stat changes, but without feeling like I was wasting time.

I did not find any glaring problems with the game. The combat was quite good, if a little simple and on the easy side. I also loved making difficult choices, although sometimes I felt like faction quest-lines tended to fizzle out without many real consequences. The ending also felt like it came on abruptly and had a rather bland final level compared to the spectacular locations throughout the rest of the game, although there were some cool touches that reflected the choices you made throughout the game. The loading can also be a bit of a pain toward the end when you are constantly bouncing between locations.

Minor issues aside, this was simply one of the best games I have played in a long time to where I felt 100% immersed with the characters and setting. I am a little sad to be here writing this review knowing it is over, but I will surely be picking it up again for a second playthrough!
  25. Apr 16, 2020
    A brilliantly written game within an intriguing, relatable world. Some companion storylines are better than others (Pavarti's, Max's, and Nyoka's are most interesting in and of themselves), but interlacing with the main quest-line develops characters further. Strong rpg mechanics allow for a variety of character builds and morally-grey questing. Optional survival mode adds toA brilliantly written game within an intriguing, relatable world. Some companion storylines are better than others (Pavarti's, Max's, and Nyoka's are most interesting in and of themselves), but interlacing with the main quest-line develops characters further. Strong rpg mechanics allow for a variety of character builds and morally-grey questing. Optional survival mode adds to replay-ability, although it could be a bit more difficult. Certainly a AA game able to compete with its AAA contemporaries. Will leave you wanting more.

Obvious comparisons to modern Fallout games, particularly New Vegas. In many ways TOW is more advanced, but it's noticeable how it may have been improved for immersion (ie. doctors can't heal you, companions don't have a reputation system). Keep in mind that it is classified as a AA, not a AAA. Obsidian went indie on this one, for better and worse. Planned DLC will add to its value so, unless you're a fan of the genre, it may be worth waiting until a complete edition. A solid foray into a new IP. With any luck, a sequel will be much longer.
  26. Apr 18, 2020
    Это невероятно интересная РПГ в стиле старой школы . С интересными персонажами , диалогами , но к сожалению очень бедной . Бедной в плане контента , мало оружия, маленькие локации, мало брони и тд . Видно , что у Обсидиан было много амбиций и мало денег , поэтому они не стали прыгать выше головы и знала.Тем кто соскучился по старым добротным РПГ советую купить , не пожалеете .Это невероятно интересная РПГ в стиле старой школы . С интересными персонажами , диалогами , но к сожалению очень бедной . Бедной в плане контента , мало оружия, маленькие локации, мало брони и тд . Видно , что у Обсидиан было много амбиций и мало денег , поэтому они не стали прыгать выше головы и знала.Тем кто соскучился по старым добротным РПГ советую купить , не пожалеете .
  27. Apr 19, 2020
    A great RPG that emphasizes content rather than size. Bethesda, watch and learn.
  28. May 14, 2020
    Старый добрый fallout до того, как он стал совсем не тем, что мы с вами заслуживаем.
  29. Jun 14, 2020
    The game controls REALLY well, with input lag to an almost absolute minimum (or at least, to an extremely comfortable level). Quests are by and large almost the same throughout and just variations of fetch, persuasion, or kill but the voice acting/narratives, graphics, and general gameplay more than make up the monotony of the quests.

The only reason I will not give this a 9 is because

The only reason I will not give this a 9 is because the load times are ATROCIOUS. On a PS4 Pro (using a HDD, not upgraded with an SSD) load times can take anywhere from 30-40 seconds, whether you are fast traveling on a map or loading into a new world. Sometimes I find myself forgetting that I even had the game running if I go to browse my phone while it loads. Other than, it's playable and a good experience.
  30. Jun 18, 2020
    A very uneven game. It has some serious underlying ideas, but the way they are conveyed mostly undoes them. Humour is an essential part of life experience; however, this game does not balance it out. On one hand, the game is telling quite a thought provoking story, but on the other hand it is buried in a charade. It is easy to miss the real story and just cruise through the game until itA very uneven game. It has some serious underlying ideas, but the way they are conveyed mostly undoes them. Humour is an essential part of life experience; however, this game does not balance it out. On one hand, the game is telling quite a thought provoking story, but on the other hand it is buried in a charade. It is easy to miss the real story and just cruise through the game until it is too late. If it had not been for Vicar Max, I would have rated this game 6. His character and story standouts in the overall charade. It almost feels like he is ready to pierce the fourth wall. It is easy to feel condescending towards his ideas and attempts to find meaning in his so obviously fake world, but are not we the same in our world? Expand
  31. Jun 21, 2020
    It is short but dense. Fallout NV was my favorite by far and I hope to see more to come hopefully on the PS4.
  32. Jun 22, 2020
    Мне понравилось! Есть недостатки безусловно , но снижать из-за этого оценку бессмысленно , так как оценщики от игрожура не объективны , они ставят высокие оценки откровенно плохим играм , соответственно я поставлю наивысшую оценку откровенно хорошей игре, чтобы показать где должна быть планка.Мне понравилось! Есть недостатки безусловно , но снижать из-за этого оценку бессмысленно , так как оценщики от игрожура не объективны , они ставят высокие оценки откровенно плохим играм , соответственно я поставлю наивысшую оценку откровенно хорошей игре, чтобы показать где должна быть планка.
  33. Jul 23, 2020
    Didn't bother to finish it. I don't know what happened Obsidian. Story and it's characters are so boring while combat is even worse.
  34. Jul 24, 2020
    So underwhelming and forgettable. I love RPGs, but was not quite a fan of New Vegas, and I can’t quite explain why, but there’s something off about it. I got the same feeling with this title.
  35. Oct 1, 2020
    Too easy, too short, too much travelling between worlds and just back and forwarding.

It's no fallout.
  36. Oct 9, 2020
    This game was incredibly disappointing. The game worlds are tiny and dead, the perk system is usless, and everything about the game feels cheap and watered down. If you are looking for a spiritual successor to Fallout: NV, this ain't it.
  37. Oct 30, 2019
    Only 10 hours in but a thoroughly engaging rpg that prioritises character interaction over combat in such an interesting way, you can't help but enjoy yourself
  38. Oct 31, 2019
    Visuals: It looks like Borderlands and Bioshock had a baby, pretty good with its own artstyle.
    Audio: Voice acting is decent, music is very atmospheric and overall audiodesign is pretty good.
    Mechanics: Many elements from Mass effect and previous fallout titles with a couple different ones. No hacking/lockpicking minigame was kind of disapointing. Weapons are very limited and vary in

No hacking/lockpicking minigame was kind of disapointing.
    Weapons are very limited and vary in power only by levelgaps, like lvl 15 weapons are all the same power, then lvl 18 is the next step up and so on. Weapons overall feel quite good, but lacking in power, or atleast power scaling.

I don't even know wether there are any romance options in this game since the one I was interested in went for another npc, that was unexpected.

Very limited crew BUT in turn you can have 2 crewmembers active and following at the same time, so thats sort of a plus and minus.

Characters overall are relatively good, but you're just not compelled to interact with too many of them, not even your crew. Its definitely not at the level of character design and intrigue as fallout 3/nv.

The TTD which is essentially the new version of VATS was exceptionally disapointing for me and I found it completely useless.

Story is overall very interesting and is inviting, but not enough is explained about the backstory of humanity, potentially to save that up for a sequel, but it felt like nothing was really explained. Or not enough atleast.

All in all I had fun playing through it, but the world and its people felt a little too empty and uninviting. I definitely enjoyed FO3 alot more.
  39. Oct 31, 2019
    Finally, a Fallout-killing experience! I haven’t purchased a Fallout since 4, even skipping New Vegas, and I thankfully was spared the trash heap that is 76. Outer Worlds is a bit too short and the anti-capitalism silliness is a bit too much for me, so that’s why it’s an 8/10. Still, one of the best games in this genre I’ve played in a while.
  40. Nov 4, 2019
    Good game! But I expected more in 2019 it is a shame the combat is so clunky and not responsive. The menus are bad and sense of direction is very difficult within buildings. Again great RPG elements but same old obsidian issues moving from one game to another. I believe today you can couple the beautiful RPG elements with good and even great mechanics.
    In a nutshell if you are looking for
    In a nutshell if you are looking for a good RPG this is it. But the graphics, gameplay, enemies, etc. leaves much to the imagination.
  41. Nov 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While this game has a highly-polished surface and mostly smooth mechanics, it suffers from pretending to be more than it is, and this often leads players on and eventually makes their experience suffer for it. Expand
  42. Oct 30, 2019
    buen juego de los mismos de fallout new vegas si te gusto fallout recomendado
  43. Nov 9, 2019
    The latest Obsidian RPG can be described as a successor of Mass Effect, Fallout and Firefly. While the narration is brilliant and various quests usually offer more than one resolution, the RPG and perk systems are shallow, crafting and modding gets boring really quickly and more than often I found myself just going from one quest marker to another without really caring about what and how.The latest Obsidian RPG can be described as a successor of Mass Effect, Fallout and Firefly. While the narration is brilliant and various quests usually offer more than one resolution, the RPG and perk systems are shallow, crafting and modding gets boring really quickly and more than often I found myself just going from one quest marker to another without really caring about what and how.
    The enviornment design is brilliant and gunplay feels more responsive and FPS-like than any other RPG shooter I've played, so you actualy have the feeling of playing shooter rather than RPG-style statistic-oriented combat mechanic.
    It shows that Obsidian can make great stories, characters and interesting worlds, however the actual gameplay framework everything is set on didn't deliver.
  44. May 12, 2020
    Except for some minor annoyances, I will remember this game for some time.

Since this is the generation of nothing really new, except for flashier graphics and lots of remasters, I feel like this game takes elements of so many last gen games and combines to make one heck of a Action RPG / Shooter! 3/4 Fallout New Vegas and remaining 1/4 to BioWare Mass Effect, Borderlands, and a
    Except for some minor annoyances, I will remember this game for some time.

3/4 Fallout New Vegas and remaining 1/4 to BioWare Mass Effect, Borderlands, and a pinch of Bioshock. Very fun.

Not game for those looking for dedicated shooters
  45. Oct 30, 2019
    Not worth $60

Not worth $60

if you're going to buy this game know that it is mainly focuses on dialogue over gameplay. The main story itself is pretty good, your actions have a lot of interesting consequences and the main quest itself is engaging. The story takes you to memorable places and lets you decide on your own how you want to deal with the situation without holding your hand too much. There are plenty of skill checks and dialogue options that make it seem like your character choices matter. Graphics are ok (there are some stuttering issues in some of the towns) and the game is mostly bug free.The crafting is really basic and boring, you are only allowed to install a limited amount of armor and weapon mods and improve them using money. The combat in this game is also very simple and repetitive, just shoot the weakspots and go slow-mo when you're in trouble.Companions are another weak spot. The reasons for your companions joining you are very weak and most of their side missions seem really dull and skippable. Character progression doesn't feel as fleshed out as it should be either, none of the perks are interesting and all your left with is allocating 10 skill points per level.

This game is like a smaller scale Fallout New Vegas without the fallout. Grab it on sale if you enjoyed New Vegas
  46. Oct 30, 2019
    While this game isn't an ever expansive open world game where you can find yourself exploring and completing side quests for over 100 hours, it is a well crafted and detailed smaller world with much thought and care put into most interactions and the consequences of your choices. This leads to a 30-40 hpur experience with refreshing freedom of choice and enticing prospects for replayingWhile this game isn't an ever expansive open world game where you can find yourself exploring and completing side quests for over 100 hours, it is a well crafted and detailed smaller world with much thought and care put into most interactions and the consequences of your choices. This leads to a 30-40 hpur experience with refreshing freedom of choice and enticing prospects for replaying various scenarios. Expand
  47. Oct 30, 2019
    Hot damn this is great. A little repetitive if you are a grinder like me. i wish that there were some small changes like 3rd person perspective or keeping your gun holstered when talkin to folks but thats just me. If youre on XBL you can literally play this for like 2 dollars with the pass think fast

Edit: the pass will go back up to 14 a month take advantage
  48. Nov 3, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is a great game at holding over anyone's thirst for a new Bethesda game. A new IP with some great writing and RPG systems. It's an enjoyable ride through space with your fellow companions
  49. Nov 5, 2019
    Absolute best action RPG from this generation of consoles. Gunplay is pretty good, the actual RPG elements are a bit simplified but still enjoyable and the loot is fantastic. Fantastic game, couldn't recommend enough.
  50. Oct 29, 2019
    (This Review is for the game in Normal mode)
    Outer Worlds brought with it a pack of lovable, well written characters that are fun to engage with through a witty and versatile dialogue system.
    Although limited in quantity, the explorable areas are rich in content and variety and make a great landscape for the numerous quests. I have seen numerous reviews comparing this title to triple A-
    (This Review is for the game in Normal mode)
    I have seen numerous reviews comparing this title to triple A- games and this is were some of its problems seem to stem from: While Outer Worlds is an overall polished game, it Is just not innovative. The story has a lot of parallels to Mass Effect Andromeda (colonists gets stuck in stasis pods while other ships have already frontier a new world but it’s going down the drain), the setting reminded me very much of Borderlands (Corporations rule, Vending Machines define the Market, Half the Population are drug addicted lunatics and/or cannibals) and then there is the obvious connection to Fallout’s Roleplaying aspects. It sounds like a great recipe at first but then one does notice that it’s just already been done before.
    People who wanted Fallout NV in Space will likely not be disappointed, although it should be said that Outer World took over some of Fallout’s flaws with it, as the main story falls flat compared to some of the side quests, there are still some redundant side quests, a relatively low (subjective opinion) level cap at 30 and one needn’t be Nostradamus to figure out what the end choices of a quest will be when you start it.

All in all though, the positive strongly outweighs the bad and the. The world(s) Obsidian created is beautiful and engaging with huge role-playing capabilities and the game flow-ed like a marble on a half-pipe.
  51. Oct 31, 2019
    Okay, this game is good. But it could've been so much more.

The bad: - the loot system was trash. Honestly. There were lots of different consumables but only one really mattered. And lots of stuff was only usable for selling. Literally went straight into your junk folder cause it had no use whatsoever. Loot, guns, and armour were kinda boring. -I enjoyed the combat but it was overshadowed
    Okay, this game is good. But it could've been so much more.

The bad:
    - the loot system was trash. Honestly. There were lots of different consumables but only one really mattered. And lots of stuff was only usable for selling. Literally went straight into your junk folder cause it had no use whatsoever. Loot, guns, and armour were kinda boring. -I enjoyed the combat but it was overshadowed by the boring same enemies. They feel like a random fly that you need to sway away so you can continue you normal duties.
    - the exploration is lacking. The outerworlds has an interesting but the worlds are kinda small. I wish it were larger and had more to explore. But I guess they did want it to be so much an open world rpg.
    - a lot of the side quest turn into traveling to do lists. Which gets tiring after a while. I was able to not touch the main quest for hours in fallout new Vegas but in outerworlds you cant really do that.
    - the guns were lacking. Not enough guns to be honest, needs more interesting guns.
    - I wish it was more customizable regarding clothing

The good.
    - the ability to mod weapons and armour was nice.
    - the dialogue and main story in this are really good. I really enjoyed the companions and was able to connect with them.
    - I read some people talking about this game forcing sjws values and what not but I didnt get any of that. Yea there are a lot of powerful female characters but they are good characters with interesting characteristics. - I enjoyed the art and looks of the game. It was very pretty. Although I constantly had to adjust my brightness cause the contrast in game made it very difficult to see things.
    - I thought the ability to raise the level of guns or clothing that you liked was really cool. Although because theres not that much gun variety you end up running into a better version of you gun, and theres no special gun that I felt needed to be updated with my level. Same with armour.

On a last note this game was too short. My first play through I was able to blitz right through it in less than a few days. But on my second play through I turned off all subtitles and slowed down. And I have to say it's been much more enjoyable that way. It was a good game but there is a lot to do to make it a great game. And I believe obsidian has the potential to make a greater outerworlds game. If they do make a second one I hope they listen to the more negative reviews and improve in the game.
  52. Nov 1, 2019
    this game is exactly what i think many have been looking for, great looking environments a mix of non linear and linear storytelling, interesting social and political themes. but, gun play is rather standard and time dilation seems to be really really strong. the rpg elements can seem somewhat basic if you look at the skills but if you look at the sheer amount of ways you can completethis game is exactly what i think many have been looking for, great looking environments a mix of non linear and linear storytelling, interesting social and political themes. but, gun play is rather standard and time dilation seems to be really really strong. the rpg elements can seem somewhat basic if you look at the skills but if you look at the sheer amount of ways you can complete quests, those criticisms don't really bother me.

buuuuuuttttt, the criticism this game gets is abit unusual as it mostly boils down to "0 out of 10, bethesdas better, fallout 4 has better gun play and its a man hating game for sjw's" like what? i can understand the better gunplay (because it does) but people saying that the enemies dont react when hit clearly hasn't gotten their guns skill over 20. also, in the first planet (light spoilers) the leader of edgewater is seen as bad and the leader of the deserters is seen as a vengeful women who wants to keep her group pure, yes shes into eugentics. im not joking, shes a women in a game whos into eugenics where apparently its sjw and man hating, dude this game just straight up hates everyone.
  53. Nov 1, 2019
    Hands down one of the beat rpg’s in a while, it’s a shame it couldn’t last longer.
  54. Nov 1, 2019
    this game is hard to go wrong with and for a lot of different people it will fill different holes left by fallout and such
  55. Nov 1, 2019
    Simply the best first person action RPG we have seen in a while. Must buy if fan of fallout.
  56. Nov 1, 2019
    I just finished my first game. It was what i wanted but shorter then i would like. I cant wait to replay it and hope they will make DLC.
  57. Nov 2, 2019
    It reminds me greatly of the original Fallout games for PC way back in the day. The game is stuffed with lore, the setting is farcical to an extreme and the scope of the adventure is fairly large on saving the population but the area is kinda small. It's concise and dense with passable combat and interesting characters and a lot of deadpan humor with great voicework along with greatIt reminds me greatly of the original Fallout games for PC way back in the day. The game is stuffed with lore, the setting is farcical to an extreme and the scope of the adventure is fairly large on saving the population but the area is kinda small. It's concise and dense with passable combat and interesting characters and a lot of deadpan humor with great voicework along with great visuals. I highly recommend for anyone that played those classics or wants some more RPG goodness. I know this is mostly the same word for word as my review for it on Xbox One but it's the same game for crying out loud. Expand
  58. Nov 2, 2019
    круто то что надо для хорошего настроения и весёлых поседндок с доузяимсррпои
  59. Nov 2, 2019
    I love it, I haven't been so happy with a single player rpg for a long time. I hope Obsydian will.contiune with this title so we can dive into Outer Worlds universe again in the future.
  60. Nov 2, 2019
    Fantastic game. What Fallout should of been like. Didn’t think I would like it as I much but definitely one of the best games I’ve played this year. Hoping they’ll be DLC too.
  61. Nov 2, 2019
    If you love fallout* games (I'm not talking about f76) it's autobuy game for you. I'm not able to skip any side quest as I'm really enjoying doing each of them!! So far I can't say any bad word about outer world :) buy it now!!!
  62. Nov 2, 2019
    Great entry to the fallout genre. Notice I say genre and not series. Outer world's included many of fallouts best elements like complex dialog and choice based story line, skill progression and pickpocketing :), but is a new series in its own right. New characters and storyline leave this game feeling fresh and exciting. A few quirks to be had, for example the inventory UI needs work andGreat entry to the fallout genre. Notice I say genre and not series. Outer world's included many of fallouts best elements like complex dialog and choice based story line, skill progression and pickpocketing :), but is a new series in its own right. New characters and storyline leave this game feeling fresh and exciting. A few quirks to be had, for example the inventory UI needs work and UI in general needs work. Other than that, awesome writing as expected from obsidian games, great⚡ combat system and weapon system. Good stat and upgrade system. Reallt fun game that I've already poured all my free time into!! I recommend! Expand
  63. Nov 3, 2019
    This is a well crafted, but very simple, take on the Fallout formula. The core pieces such as freedom of choice, expansive dialogue and characters, and the Fallout brand of quests are all there and fantastically done. But this is a product that was clearly on a budget.

The combat is fine, but straightforward and it lacks the polish of AAA games. The landscapes are not only small, but not particularly interesting. The companions lack any real standouts and the AI is weak. Character development is okay, but it lacks the depth of a Fallout or Elder Scrolls. The game itself is very short for an RPG. The Outer Worlds just lacks that layer of depth you would expect of a game of this style. The result is a linear game with an open world DNA. It's fun for the ride, but It doesn't really fill your belly.

It's worth a playthrough if you like this style of game. But treat it like an appetizer to the next big thing.
  64. Nov 4, 2019
    O Game é excelente tras elementos de fallout mas com sua propria essência
  65. Nov 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is amazing................................................................................ Expand
  66. Nov 8, 2019
    Put simply it's everything that you wanted Fallout 4 and 76 to be. It's a fantastic new world in it's own right too and a joy to play through for fans who enjoy this genre of game. Obsidian are the good guys of the gaming world right now!
  67. Nov 8, 2019
    It's a fantastic game. This is the type of RPG we have been missing over the last few years Thanks Obsidian.
  68. Nov 9, 2019
    This is a wonderful game but it is not without its flaws.
    I have been a huge fan of Obsidian since its inception and they are a master class of the RPG developer. The Outer Worlds is filled with charm and is clearly the spiritual successor to FONV which is one of my favorite games of all time.
    This is a wonderful game but it is not without its flaws.
    The Presentation, while a little robotic at times, is quite good. The animations can be definitely be stiff but the voice acting and writingis absolutely top notch. Better than almost any game I've played this generation.
    That being said, the gameplay has a few issues. the character abilities, while a nice touch, can be a bit intrusive to the flow of gun fights. They absolutely have a purpose and have saved my ass on too many occasions (I play on hard mode), but the animation should not have to play every time. Perhaps if they implemented a system where it only does the animation if it is going to kill the last enemy in the vicinity. I find that would make it more meaningful than to play the animation every 10 seconds (use the abilities as much as you can!)

Unfortunately, the game also suffers from a few too many loading screens, but I understand Obsidian was working on a really tight budget and they had to cut corners where they could.

I think that this entry in the genre is a safe play. They did not do anything out of the ordinary, but what they did create here is a beautiful, charming, fun game made with passion.
    If they can take this game and expand on some ideas, I have a really positive outlook for a potential sequel.

Kudos to Obsidian, they deserve all the praise in the world for the things they are able to accomplish in short time spans/tight budgets.
  69. Nov 9, 2019
    This is a good game that is fun and immersive. The environments look fantastic on PS4 Pro, despite the game running on the Unreal engine. To me, the theme is sort of like Borderlands meets Fallout. The weapons are all branded by different corporations, have different damage types, etc. in a way that’s similar to BL2. There are vending machine vendors. It’s a Space Western with funnyThis is a good game that is fun and immersive. The environments look fantastic on PS4 Pro, despite the game running on the Unreal engine. To me, the theme is sort of like Borderlands meets Fallout. The weapons are all branded by different corporations, have different damage types, etc. in a way that’s similar to BL2. There are vending machine vendors. It’s a Space Western with funny stuff.. Even “The Outer Worlds” sounds like another way of saying “Borderlands”. Was it intentional? The gameplay is more like Fallout, of course. Anyway, there are a few reasons it’s not a 9 or 10: The corporations thing is a bit overdone. It often tries and fails miserably at being funny, but not enough to spoil the game. They could have toned that down a bit and still been quirky or whatever. Another thing is the Unreal engine, which is ancient and at times obvious, particularly with character models. It also effects world size, and other tech limitations. Lastly, some things just look cheap and not well thought out, like “holographic” signage used on walls that is boring and repeated everywhere. There should be more pretty lights and artwork. The game just doesn’t convey a theme as well as Fallout does. It’s a bit inconsistent or lacking at times. Overall though, it’s a new franchise that is off to a good start, a solid and fair 8.5 (which is great!) and I will be looking forward to playing the outer worlds two on PS5! Expand
  70. Nov 9, 2019
    Videojuego realizado con mimo, los escenarios son muy bonitos. Para mi gusto la historia principal es corta aunque es divertido realizar las misiones secundarias.
  71. Nov 10, 2019
    Went into the game expecting mediocre. Glad i didn't listen to mixed reviews. This game is awesome. The gunplay is great, speeches with NPCs are awesome, teammates are great. Obsidian , you did it again. Hoping for a sequel. The only thing that i didn't like are the graphics. What about the graphics you say ? the grass, flowers and trees are too neon.
  72. Nov 11, 2019
    A kick in the face to Bethesda, with a steel plated boot. I couldn’t stop playing.
  73. Oct 25, 2019
    This game is a breath of fresh air if you liked fallout new Vegas this should be a must own if you have not played any fallout games let me put your mind at ease the shooting is great in this game you never get the feeling that you can't beat an enemy because your guns under powered and useless at the same time weapons and armor degradation does happen but with all the ways to fix it fromThis game is a breath of fresh air if you liked fallout new Vegas this should be a must own if you have not played any fallout games let me put your mind at ease the shooting is great in this game you never get the feeling that you can't beat an enemy because your guns under powered and useless at the same time weapons and armor degradation does happen but with all the ways to fix it from items you buy to stores who can fix them for you you never feel like you're forced to go to shops and buy new gear and if you want to you can kill every NPC in the game and still win the game and if you want you can finish quests in any way you may want a guy in a quest i was on gave me a hard choice kill a whole city or kill a bunch of poor people i shot the guy point blank with a shotgun and gave the poor people the city but thats not the only way to do that quest it really feels up to you on how you wish to play Expand
  74. Oct 27, 2019
    This game will scratch your RPG itch that has been left untouched for so many years. The Outer Worlds channels original Fallouts, New Vegas, SW: KOTOR, Mass Effect and the like and covers it with a fresh coat of modern graphics and contemporary systems to make a game that has absolutely no right to exist in the current ecosystem.
  75. Oct 28, 2019
    While The Outer Worlds suffers from its AA budget handicap, it still manages to soar close to the sun having accomplished at its core what many fans of the role-playing genre have been pining since New Vegas or Mass Effect 2, delivering a highly inspired, well-written, fanciful, dynamic rp romp worthy of the Obsidian legend.

Obsidian introduces us to a bright galaxy filled with dark

Obsidian introduces us to a bright galaxy filled with dark humor and corporate intrigue, mirroring the question of real-world tech-tyranny and what is liable to happen when corporations gain too much leeway with too little outside oversight. It's all executed quite well, with the narrative offering multiple avenues to accomplish tasks and missions in unique ways.

Morality is as grey as ever, and sometimes you will find yourself questioning just what good and evil are, lol. It's a fun roller-coaster of a tale that keeps your moral compass spinning and that's one of the highlights of the title in fact -- the question of right, wrong, balance, destiny, and self-will; it's actually masterful in this regard.

As for the companions, they are occupationally diverse, well fleshed-out individuals which keep moods light and quests engaging, even lipping out little comments or starting full-on conversations between each other after what is perhaps a questionable or praiseworthy action by the captain, and it all depends on their own personal dispositions or beliefs. Just don't do anything too crazy, as they're liable to turn on you should you become erratic or insane! Not that there's anything wrong with being insane...

The gunplay itself is not quite as desirable as its other fine points, coming short of even the likes of Fallout 4. However, even this dip in quality is overshadowed by the fact that Outer Worlds is not touting itself as a 'shooter' in the first place, but an rpg. Because of this (and its AA budget), its less-than-optimal weapon mechanics are of tertiary concern, but it's not egregious in the least bit and firefights still have plenty of fun to be had when wacky weapons and Time Dilation are thrown in the mix. Overall its a somewhat janky but satisfying experience nonetheless.

Beyond its phenomenal and mostly well-executed (if not traditional) core elements, many would claim that Outer Worlds feels very much like an amalgam of various franchises (and therefore is a cheap facsimile of past games), and I would agree with them to a very certain extent. It's not difficult to sense traces of influence from games like Borderlands, Bioshock, Dishonored, and of course Fallout, specifically New Vegas. However, that actually plays out to its strength because of how well it pronounces its own swag and maintains its own wacky but unique sense of self in a brand new environment. Never once do you believe while playing through The Outer Worlds that any of its outside influences define the title or the experience in an explicit fashion; they only serve to bring a familiar sense of awareness to the game that players can identify with, but not one that is wholly unoriginal or completely attached in an overpowering manner. The Outer Worlds is its own game by its own right and most will not be bothered by the customary undertones or familiar feels. On the contrary, they will celebrate them with applaud.

This is my light review for Obsidian's latest and most anticipated title, The Outer Worlds. I personally give this game high praise for accomplishing its mission statement and giving roleplay fans what they've always wanted more of - a spiritual successor to the fanatically acclaimed Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian is back in the saddle and so are RPGs!

Exquisite.
  76. Nov 1, 2019
    Feels like a deja-vue, and brings up many nostalgic and fond Fallout memories. A very good game in all aspects. Congrats to Obsidian. I just missed the open world feel. But that's really the only small criticism I have
  77. Nov 5, 2019
    I just finished this game and felt compelled to provide a review to help others decide if they want to purchase. In terms of what's great about the game, the story and interactions are extensive and immersive. There is depth in the narrative of the game. The companions all have interesting stories sans Pavarti, for me. I felt it was stretched too far over the story for something that wasI just finished this game and felt compelled to provide a review to help others decide if they want to purchase. In terms of what's great about the game, the story and interactions are extensive and immersive. There is depth in the narrative of the game. The companions all have interesting stories sans Pavarti, for me. I felt it was stretched too far over the story for something that was pretty frivolous. The environments all felt pretty unique. If you like the old Fallout games, particularly (and obviously) New Vegas, you'll really feel at home. In retrospect, the length (on the shorter side) actually didn't bother me. On reflecting, it was just right where it didn't feel like I was grinding and killing time. Compare this to the most recent Assassin's Creed games. They were so big that there was a lot of grind and that started to mess with the story. You lose track of it. I thought the combat mechanics were well done. For these types of titles, this was the best gun play I've gone through. It's akin to a top FPS game. Well done. I didn't get into the Melee so can't speak to that. I was strictly ranged.

The bad? It's been said but the graphics feel dated for a AAA title. The Fallout/Elder Scrolls FPS engine just feels more cartoonish animated. I think Ubisoft is doing the best "world" graphics with Far Cry and Assassin's Creed with the latter being the most photo realistic. Far Cry is a little more cartoony but it feels real. I know these are alien planets but they feel more 2D than 3D and the design and color choices just feel like they could have done a lot more with them. The cities and ships are the best part, graphically. Also, I felt like the companions could have had more depth and clarity in terms of how they should be built and combined. They didn't seem to have as many unique perks and you couldn't necessarily tell what their specialties were...at least I missed it until I looked on the internet.

In many respects, this game is almost a "vintage" release. It truly plays and looks like a FPS RPG from the 2000s but with some modern day polish and sheen. Almost like if they had decided to make Fallout New Vegas Remastered. The environments are more contained like God of War 4 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider but there is less exploring and achievements. You're better off to follow the story. It has nowhere near the depth of an Open World game where you can just kill time exploring and discovering cool stuff. Take it for what it is and relish in what it does well and I think you will really enjoy the game.
  78. Oct 25, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so fun. I can tell I’m going to sink a ton of hours into this on multiple play throughs. For my first I’m playing a dumb character and I recommend it for some of the resolutions you can achieve when NPCs just don’t want to explain anymore. Also character creation has a nice nod to working class folks giving them bonuses based off of occupations. It’s nice to see a janitors and warehouse workers and stuff get cool little bonuses for their occupations Expand
  79. Oct 27, 2019
    It's good, but overhyped. It's just not quite at the level of your better AAA titles. I'm having fun, but it's been a little on the dull side at times with the missions and stories, while combat is barely serviceable. Also really wish it wasn't in first person, especially with how cool the armor and customization looks but you pretty much never get to see your character.
  80. Oct 26, 2019
    The game really brings everything what you would expect from this style of RPG. Writing and voice acting are top notch, with interesting characters and their stories, silly and dark at the same time (Leonard's Boyarsky and Tim's Cane signature style is really obvious, and I love it) The space western style of it fits perfectly in this universe. The makro idea is fantastic, corporationThe game really brings everything what you would expect from this style of RPG. Writing and voice acting are top notch, with interesting characters and their stories, silly and dark at the same time (Leonard's Boyarsky and Tim's Cane signature style is really obvious, and I love it) The space western style of it fits perfectly in this universe. The makro idea is fantastic, corporation taking over everything. Can't say, that I enjoy stealth a lot, bit maybe it just needs some time to get used to it. Graphics are ok, but I don't think people who will play this game care much about it. I saw complaints about it not being a full open world game, but personally I like it, reminds of Metro exodus with somewhat smaller areas. All in all Obsidian did a great job! I don't like comparing games, but as much as I'm a Fallout universe fan, I enjoy this game much more, than what Bethesda does for the last ten or so years. Bottom line, imagine Mass Effect and Fallout: New Vegas had a baby, and it was raised by the Wasteland franchise, this is what you would get. Expand
  81. Oct 26, 2019
    This is by far the best single player game of 2019 imo, everything from the graphics to the gameplay and story have been well thought over and has alot of care and attention put into it, if you're a gamer, get this game!
  82. Oct 26, 2019
    Jogo muito bom. Te prende do início ao fim. Personagens carismáticos. E história muito boa.
  83. Oct 27, 2019
    Everything you'd expect from an old school role-playing game that tastes like Fallout. Charismatic characters, solid mechanics and dialogues with that characteristic black humor. If you're a fan of this type of games, it's a must-have title, and if you're not, it's also a must-have title, even if it's just to support one of the few companies that still do quality work.
  84. Oct 27, 2019
    This is what a Fallout game should’ve been: great humor and writing, interesting quests and meaningful decisions.
  85. Oct 27, 2019
    One low review opens with NO COMPANIONS. Ow ya they played the ever living heck out of Outer Worlds lol. Seriously this game is a game made for the rpg player. Cool retro 50’s sifi look that brings you right there. Well I can’t believe the guys who helped invent Fallout and FO Vegas, built a game following there original vision of an rpg. What? The team delivered on everything theyOne low review opens with NO COMPANIONS. Ow ya they played the ever living heck out of Outer Worlds lol. Seriously this game is a game made for the rpg player. Cool retro 50’s sifi look that brings you right there. Well I can’t believe the guys who helped invent Fallout and FO Vegas, built a game following there original vision of an rpg. What? The team delivered on everything they promised and set out to do. The characters I find are great, from funny to boneheads and the guy you’d love to smack! They got them all. If you love sifi exploration and choices this is the game for you. Expand
  86. Oct 28, 2019
    10 times better tha Fallout 76, amazing art style and world design. Gunplay is great and the dialogue are so well writen. A lot of choice and decisions really matters. This is a true fallout game, so addicting to play. There are a bit too much loading screen and some confusing tools, but overall it's game of the year for now for me.
  87. Oct 28, 2019
    Great gameplay, amazing dialogue, intriguing progression system and beautiful worlds to explore. If you have enjoyed Obsidian's previous similar title, Fallout: New Vegas, or just like RPG/shooters in general, I can guarantee you that you will love this game. In addition to already being a solid experience, there are also no microtransactions or any other distasteful business schemes toGreat gameplay, amazing dialogue, intriguing progression system and beautiful worlds to explore. If you have enjoyed Obsidian's previous similar title, Fallout: New Vegas, or just like RPG/shooters in general, I can guarantee you that you will love this game. In addition to already being a solid experience, there are also no microtransactions or any other distasteful business schemes to take the joy out of your play time. Expand
  88. Oct 28, 2019
    Great role-playing game, very interesting physics and ideas, freedom of action! very well
  89. Oct 29, 2019
    Amazing game. Great characters, great story and great world. This game is what Fallout games should be. If you like a good RPG and was a fan of Fallout games prior to Fallout 04 and ugh, Fallout 76 this is the game for you. Do yourself a favor and play this game, you won't regret it!
  90. Oct 30, 2019
    If you like single player "Western" RPG's get this. Its free on Xbox Gamepass but if I'd have paid $59 I'd still be happy. I can't stand multiplayer games any more and less and less single player games are getting made. With the 6-7 year Bethesda schedule its just really lean for this type of game. So when this was announced I was pretty excited. Obsidian did Kotor 2 and Fallout New VegasIf you like single player "Western" RPG's get this. Its free on Xbox Gamepass but if I'd have paid $59 I'd still be happy. I can't stand multiplayer games any more and less and less single player games are getting made. With the 6-7 year Bethesda schedule its just really lean for this type of game. So when this was announced I was pretty excited. Obsidian did Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas both of which are in my all time top 20 games ( if I had such a list ). This is very much in the same category as those games or other RPG's like Fallout, Mass Effect, Witcher, Skyrim Etc. At launch I experienced no bugs, had a lot of fun, and feel like this is a pretty solid game launch. Kotor 2 and Fallout New Vegas both had some bugs well into the life of those games but so far I have not had any issues after 30 hours of play. I feel like that's not mentioned enough. On top of the Fallout in Space theme that this game looks like on paper It also has tons of references to Sci Fi culture in general. Firefly, Star Wars, Buck Rogers. In fact Buck Rogers is very similar to how this game starts funny enough. 99% of people reading this have no idea what that is. Probably 99% of gamers will never play this game though. Its not a game made for the masses. its made for the 1% of the population that gets its and does a great job satisfying that 1%. Thanks to Obsidian for making it! Expand
  91. Oct 31, 2019
    I usually hate Fallout style games, and ive been boycotting any Bethesda game for a long time, but Outer Worlds is something else entirely. Its just a good game.
  92. Oct 31, 2019
    While it may not necessarily an "open world" RPG, Obsidian still knocks it out of the park with The Outer Worlds. Though it's gameplay is serviceable for a game of its ilk, it's obvious that it wasn't the central focus for this game. It's the brilliant writing, witty humor and engrossing lore driven world that brings this game to that next level. My only real issue with the game is it'sWhile it may not necessarily an "open world" RPG, Obsidian still knocks it out of the park with The Outer Worlds. Though it's gameplay is serviceable for a game of its ilk, it's obvious that it wasn't the central focus for this game. It's the brilliant writing, witty humor and engrossing lore driven world that brings this game to that next level. My only real issue with the game is it's awful enemy AI. That can use a lot of work. Aside from that, Obsidian has shown that they can match the best of the best in this industry and they might just be the ones to set the new standard in the coming years. It's not like Bethesda or Bioware are interested in continuing on with the genre. So long live Obsidian. I cant wait to see what's next for this new and promising franchise. Expand
  93. Nov 1, 2019
    Love this game to me it's like Mass Effect meets Fallout. The gameplay feels solid to me interesting characters love ADA always a sucker for those AI with personality large selection gears a game that I am putting tons of hours already.
  94. Nov 1, 2019
    Amazing so long waited for game! Reminds fallout and bring all good thing from classical genre.
  95. Nov 14, 2019
    It's like the OG Mass Effect trilogy had a baby with FO: New Vegas, it is perfection.
  96. Nov 21, 2019
    Overly hyped game that turned out to be very very average 6/10. Really expected much more from this title.
  97. Nov 21, 2019
    Probably my expectations were too high, but you know, lesson is learned.

Probably my expectations were too high, but you know, lesson is learned.

When I knew that that a new Obsidian game is going to be released, I was confident that Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky can't go wrong. These are the people, who were behind legendary Black Isle that brought us Fallout/Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and later as Troika games Tim and Leonard (with Jason D. Anderson) brought to life Arcanum and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. So you get the idea of who are these people. I grew up playing that classic and still consider Fallout 1/2, Arcanum, Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate series to be the pinnacle of RPG genre. Later, after Black Isle disband I was so glad when Obsidian Entertainment was created and with their first title - Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic II (KOTORII) I had a feeling that these grand maestros will be doing great games once again. With Tim and Leonard joining Obsidian, I was expecting a full power return of the kings.

Well, I guess I was a bit unrealistic. So where to start. I can imagine the pre-production meetings where publisher would demand some sort of "Bethesda killer" or just the research from the marketing department saying that the target audience should be a console-orientated FPS younger players.

And here we get the product - neither RPG (in the way I see it), neither FPS.

Don't get me wrong - a lot of love and efforts were put into project - design, story, plot. It's all worked through. But when brought together - it's just not as fun as it could be. I could definitely see the the main references here - Borderlands, Bethesda's Fallout, Bioshock and Mass Effect. You literally see and feel the insights from Arcanum, Bloodlines and KOTOR II as well. But as I said - it's not as dynamic as Borderland to be enjoyable as a shooter, as pace and combats are not that intense. Too much messing around with items, which was fun in Borderlands (since it was a parody of MMORPG item-mania with color coding, random drop, etc).

I felt myself like a kleptomaniac. Haven't been like that since Morrowind, but back then you could grab literally any item, here you are stuck with repetitive items to grab. Mechanics are going to be like that: run around, get all the quests, follow markers, kill enemies, loot everything. Loot more while looking around, then go back, while looting more junk. Get rewards, sell everything. Repeat on a different planet. Repeat. The end. Reminded me World of Warcraft from 15 years ago.

Speaking of that - the choice of cartoonish design also reminded me WoW. Overall design idea is interesting - kind of sci-fi Art Nouveau (Modern of 1900s beginning), but it's really sad to see a lot of interesting models, architecture and item design that are just being repeated and pasted over and over again. All these levels are just empty. You walk around nicely designed surrounding that are just empty. All those bottles, food and posters are like an empty spectacle. You find deserted forsaken labs and bases, but they are all shiny and neat, with fresh dead bodies. And you have to believe that it's been there for years. And again - more of same stuff around. Literally 80% of the game is looting. I wish they would do "Grab All" button.

I feel like that game shows the crisis of the industry. Bethesda actually raised a whole generation of bad taste gaming. In my opinion Obsidian should stick to what they are known for - real RPGs, I feel like KOTOR (kind like bioware'ish) or Pillars of Eternity approach would benefit the game, but it will not benefit the sales, so again - it's business after all.

Dialogs are dull in 90%, there are couple interesting moments, especially with your team members, but then again - if you played original Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape or KOTORII, nothing would suprise you.

Honestly I've beaten the game mostly because of the story, and because of the team behind the game - I just wanted to see the whole thing to make my own opinion. But after first day I was so disappointed that even was thinking about returning the game. Unfortunately I didn't get the fun I got from FPS games with slight RPG elements (Borderlands, FarCry5), nor the true RPG enjoyment (Arcanum, KOTOR).

I feel there are very important game design requirements for each of this genres, and to blend them together is not an easy task. Obsidian took shortcuts and it didn't work out, at least for me. For people, who never have seen any of older titles, and who consider Fallout 3/4 and other Bethesda latest titles to be OK, this game would be a revelation. Surely it beats any of that Bethesda crap. But if you are into computer games since 90s - be prepared to have these frustration moments.

There are some minor engine related stuff I find odd as well - blurry textures, drawing distance through sniper scopes, weird physics (jumping, invisible walls, e
  98. Dec 11, 2019
    I gave this game a 2/5 rating on GameStop, but it seems it was removed entirely in time for the Game Awards, which is why I'm giving it a lower score and reviewing it here. There's something shady going on with the massive bandwagoning and love this game has received for being a 5/10 at best.

As some other reviewers have stated, it isn't a product of the sum of it's parts. Mediocre, would be the word I'd use to describe it if you look at it in it's entirety with an objective lense. Combat is a drag to get through with the bullet sponge enemies, making in-game money is a chore and the price of items are hyper inflated, upgraded weapons are made obsolete past level 15 when they introduce tier 2 weapons, there's a lack of variety when it comes to armor and weapons, and most of the time the narrative and dialogue borders on cringe (and not that witty humor Obsidian is inexplicably known for).

This game is the Ready Player One of video games. A "just OK" game that wouldn't be able to stand on its two legs without the sheer amount of fabricated nostalgia hits, and pop culture references. The fact that you see some people compare it to the early Fallout games leads me to believe that they've never played a Fallout game in their life. Obsidian has proved with this title that they should stick to creating games using other people's properties.

i'm being lead to believe this game is a social experiment, one made to see how far they can take a mediocre game based solely on the reputation of the dev team, because GotY nominee this game is not.
  99. Jan 1, 2020
    among the most tediously boring games i've ever played. very little action. gameplay is all tedious dialogue choices with an uninteresting story, little action, a lot of item management, lots of travel, collecting minuscule amounts of ammo and zillions of worthless items to sell. missions/quests are generally something like travel back and forth slowly with long transitions just toamong the most tediously boring games i've ever played. very little action. gameplay is all tedious dialogue choices with an uninteresting story, little action, a lot of item management, lots of travel, collecting minuscule amounts of ammo and zillions of worthless items to sell. missions/quests are generally something like travel back and forth slowly with long transitions just to collect an item or make a single interaction with a character that's hard to find sometimes even going back and forth several times. it's just horrible and boring. Expand
  100. Jan 12, 2020
    Bought this game based on good reviews. Maybe I've missed something but after over 10 hours I'm bored of it. Was a huge fan of Fallout 3, Vegas and even thought Fallout 4 was good. But this game doesn't do it for me. Graphics are horrible last gen at best, everything looks the same as in design just different colours. I could probably see some appeal as the main story seemed likeBought this game based on good reviews. Maybe I've missed something but after over 10 hours I'm bored of it. Was a huge fan of Fallout 3, Vegas and even thought Fallout 4 was good. But this game doesn't do it for me. Graphics are horrible last gen at best, everything looks the same as in design just different colours. I could probably see some appeal as the main story seemed like something different but like all games like these the side quest "game fillers" you feel compelled to do to "level up" ruin the experience especially the ones in this game. The multiple small maps ruin the exploration like in Fallout and the loading screens between areas were longer than I would like. Learnt my lesson on this game to not buy games based on reviews alone. I wonder if the high reviews are backlash against Bethesda?? Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 77 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 3, 2020
    What probably best summarizes The Outer Worlds is that, in spite of my qualms with aspects of it, I still enjoyed my time playing it. It doesn’t overstay its welcome and by the fills a void that feels wider in the wake of many larger western studios losing interest in making dedicated RPG experiences. It’s not the kind of game to stand the test of time and Obsidian has made much better and more interesting games in the past, but there is a pleasant experience to be had. For those looking for that style of single-player RPG will find a lot to like and could do a lot worse.
  2. Dec 5, 2019
    I can see that while I play, The Outer Worlds is everything needed and expected from a first-person RPG, one that can then be expanded on in the future, with innovative systems, original worlds, and unexpected characters - they now have a hub to fit into. The problem for players is: why play this game instead of waiting for the one that fully escapes the shadow of Fallout?
  3. Dec 4, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is the Bethesda RPG you always wanted, but it's not made by Bethesda. This is one of the finest RPG experiences that let you take complete control of your storyline, and it's one hell of a ride.