6.5

1. Jul 4, 2019
    I’ve got about 15 hours into the game. I’m really enjoying it. I am a Lovecraft fan and am enjoying the handling of the lore and the vibe. The story is dope so far. The game is slow paced and is not a shooter game. If you’re not into that you definitely shouldn’t get it. I do really like it and the pro’s definitely outweigh the con’s but again. It is for a specific gamer. Downs...I’ve got about 15 hours into the game. I’m really enjoying it. I am a Lovecraft fan and am enjoying the handling of the lore and the vibe. The story is dope so far. The game is slow paced and is not a shooter game. If you’re not into that you definitely shouldn’t get it. I do really like it and the pro’s definitely outweigh the con’s but again. It is for a specific gamer. Downs... graphics aren’t stellar and there are bugs. Combat is chunky as many **** about but again it isn’t a shooter. It’s a bit of a let down when people give a game a “0”. It’s just not helpful. Nether is giving a game a “10” for “balance” Expand
  2. Jun 30, 2019
    The Sinking City is an action-adventure game surrounded by a certain mysterious veil in which the known H.P. Lovecraft horror is implemented. Developed by Frogwares and published by Bigben Interactive, this game gives a great deal of mind trembling puzzles where vile beasts from the depths will try to stop you from finding out the mysteries behind the hysteria in the flooded city ofThe Sinking City is an action-adventure game surrounded by a certain mysterious veil in which the known H.P. Lovecraft horror is implemented. Developed by Frogwares and published by Bigben Interactive, this game gives a great deal of mind trembling puzzles where vile beasts from the depths will try to stop you from finding out the mysteries behind the hysteria in the flooded city of Oakmont.

While you explore this massive city as the protagonist, you will come across a big variety of people all trying to find their way through this ongoing madness. When solving cases for the civilians, make sure to look around in the eery environment you are in as it all gives small clues to what has happened in Oakmont. This game is all about making choices which eventually will lead to a different way to solve a case and get that little step closer towards revealing the truth.

I must admit the graphics aren't that great, especially for the current gen consoles. The load times can take a while but to make it more bearable, the developers have put important notes in the loading screens, notes that help you remember what has to be done. If you see a wylebeast, be sure to just run away and come back more sneakily since the combat is pretty bad. Aiming goes really sluggish and melee looks like you're trying to hit something close to your face rather than in front of you.

If there's no problems in these things for you then there might me the occasional lag when the game auto-saves, doesn't take long but it doesn't go unnoticed. If that still doesn't scare you away then go ahead and explore this sunken city filled with riddles and beasts (or people) as the game won't show you where to go. You'll have to get the good ol' map and find where to go and what to do.

It's a bit overpriced but I recommend buying it if slow-paced, story driven games with an eery mystery in them strikes your fancy. Or just wait for the price to drop.
  3. Sep 26, 2019
    Just finished the game. For me it is best game implementation of Lovecraft's universe. Feels even better then Dark corners of the earth.
  4. Jul 5, 2019
    Clunky mechanics and a ridiculously dull story-line. Characters were paper-thin and entirely unmemorable, including the protagonist.

The graphics themselves aren't bad- when they load, anyway. Speaking of loading, you'll get used to the Loading Screens real quick, since they come almost constantly with any sort of scene-change and last anywhere from a minute to four minutes. There is

There is no butterfly effect in this game either; it sets you up like Call of Cthulhu, where you have to make specific choices to get a certain ending, but at the end of the game ALL options are available regardless of what you pick. Your choices don't mean ****

I was hoping this would be better that Call of Cthulhu, which I was disappointed with; but this ended up being an even BIGGER disappointment.
  5. Jul 19, 2019
    Not perfect, but worth it for the story and how much care they gave the subject matter. Art direction and sounds are pretty well done, as is the eventual creepy places you will go. There are some great stories contained in this game, but sadly, many will write it off due to weak combat, some troubled controls, and repeating areas. Stick with it though and you will find the game rewardsNot perfect, but worth it for the story and how much care they gave the subject matter. Art direction and sounds are pretty well done, as is the eventual creepy places you will go. There are some great stories contained in this game, but sadly, many will write it off due to weak combat, some troubled controls, and repeating areas. Stick with it though and you will find the game rewards your efforts by really bringing to life the source material. As a Keeper (DM) that rolwplays this game, I got some fun ideas from it!
    This isn't a perfect game, no, but it does deserve a buy, and if you were on the fence and a Cthulhu fan, I think you will enjoy it.
  6. Jul 1, 2019
    The Sinking City is a detective horror adventure that would leave both Lovecraft fans and fans of Frogware's previous Sherlock Holmes games happy and excited to see what the studio is truly capable of. That is if they actually gave us a complete and functional title. Unfortunately, this game is not finished.

Load times take over a minute on the PS4, manual saves don't load where you

Load times take over a minute on the PS4, manual saves don't load where you saved at and instead loads you at the closest point on the map you were. I know that gunplay is not supposed to be this game's strength, but even then it is not even subpar. There is no feedback on whether or not you are doing any damage to creatures, no real signs of damage nor feeling of impact. I fire point blank and I still have the lingering doubt that I am shooting through them, only when they drop do I know that I was hitting something. Some actual blood splatter and stronger impact sound effects would go a long way there. Movement, in general, is a chore as well. I get stuck on terrain constantly and climbing over things is inconsistent. The Field of View is also far too narrow and flat, and as is typical of most console versions of games, cannot be changed in the settings menu.

The visuals lack polish in general as well. I am not expecting AAA animation and fidelity, but I am expecting something comparable to what this studio, Frogwares has done before. While the move to Unreal 4 is appreciated, the animations vary from jerky and robotic to constant waving and bobbing around. Some of the lazier and more automated animations were excusable in the past Sherlock Holmes games of theirs, but when you bump up your graphical fidelity and are going for an even more photorealistic look for your game, your animation needs to be able to back that up. Otherwise, work within your limitations and go for something more stylistic and appealing.

The idea of an open city where you have to find clues and scavenge for crafting materials is a potentially interesting design choice. But the city is stretched way too much. It feels like I spend more time traveling looking for what I need to do as opposed to actually doing it. A smaller but more dense hub I think would have fit this game far better. That, or do what Frogware did in their past Sherlock Holmes games where you moved from point to point, that way you only have to go to places that actually serve some sort of purpose as opposed to walking around a bigger city simply for the sake of it.

The only aspects that are effective really are the things left over from previous Frogware titles. Namely from the Testament of Sherlock Holmes and onwards. Up until then the voice acting and script writing were very much a dead giveaway of their budget nature if the graphics weren't enough to tip you off. Enjoyable in a so awkward that it's endearing kind of way. But from Testament and onward, the voice acting has been top notch. I am happy to say that the Sinking City does continue with this trend. And I am happy that the writing is of a quality seen in Crimes and Punishments, and not like the confused and inept Devil's Daughter. The actual detective work in the SInking City is the same found in Crimes and Punishments and Devil's Daughter, so if you know that system and enjoy it as I do, then you will be happy in that regard. Player choice and agency is of a similar level as well, you have to make sure you find and put the clues together correctly or else you may reach the wrong conclusions and have people suffer because of it. It is not afraid to let you be wrong in your conclusions and have you press on regardless. It is a design choice I greatly appreciate and respect in a detective adventure game. Only these games and L.A. Noire let you fail as a sleuth really.

The problem is that in order to get to the parts of the game that really shines is that you need to, unfortunately, play the rest of the game. And because of those parts, namely the optimization, the combat, navigation, and overall polish cripple whatever chances this game had to be truly satisfying. Maybe some of the issues such as the long load times may be better on other platforms such as the PC or maybe the PS4 Pro or XBox One X, but the actual core of the game is inherently flawed. But as a fan of Frogware and Lovecraft, I would have loved to have played it on PC, I have the setup for it. It's a shame it won't be on Steam until next year. Maybe by then they can fix it up a bit and sell it at a discount and it will be worth it. God help you if you think the Switch port coming soon will even be able to get off the ground. It's a shame that in order for someone to think that the Sinking City is a solid game worth the $50 price point at this time, you'd have to be more insane than the citizens of Oakmont or anywhere else in the actual Lovecraftian mythos.
  7. Jul 2, 2019
    I'm giving this a 5 for the sake of it being a decent detective game faithful to Lovecraft. Unfortunately, virtually every other aspect of the game is either broken or subpar. If you focus solely on the stories and mysteries you unravel, at best you'll enjoy that aspect only.
  8. Jul 2, 2019
    While not being a seamless experience, The Sinking City manages to bring a unique setting within the Cthulhu mythos and an interesting investigation system that does not hold your hand.
  9. Jul 5, 2019
    Do not listen to the negative reviews. This is one of the best game I have ever played. It's so good that even after playing Resident Evil 2 remake it took me only 20 minutes or so to be completely absorbed by the mesmerizing atmosphere and excellent writing.
    63% and 6.4 user score??? Are you kidding me??? After Sekiro and Resident Evil 2 remake this is the 3rd best game I have played this year. Spend the entire weekend without getting bored or tired. Go get this game, do yourself a favor, you'll love it. People who are downgrading this game, have mostly stopped playing early on feeling somewhat disappointed with not very polished graphics and mechanics, but those flaws are not a big problem. You'll get past them very quick and start enjoying the story and suspense. Awesome Lovecraft game. We need more.
  10. Jul 10, 2019
    Oozes atmosphere. The story is captivating. Allows you to become a real detective. Has some bugs that need to be patched, but i was able to look past them. There is a good game here
  11. Jun 26, 2019
    I can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see how close to 100 it was. I love this game!! I am not a huge Lovecraft fan, but I am very thankful I bought this game without looking at the reviews. This game takes chances, and it definitely takes some getting used to, but I am so glad to see a game thatI can’t believe how low the reviews are for this game! I have played it, non-stop, for the last three days, and I popped on here to see how close to 100 it was. I love this game!! I am not a huge Lovecraft fan, but I am very thankful I bought this game without looking at the reviews. This game takes chances, and it definitely takes some getting used to, but I am so glad to see a game that doesn’t just copy Far Cry or The Last of Us. Expand
  12. Jun 26, 2019
    Honestly I'm really disappointed, especially because this game costs $75 in total. There's a 0-day dlc, and the game is very suboptimal. It seems pretty buggy, and its graphics quality doesn't look anything like the trailer, which makes me feel extremely disappointed. I can't give this game a really worthy score, and I really wanted to. At least a 3, or a 4 but I genuinely couldn't.
  13. Jun 27, 2019
    For a Lovecraft and murder mystery fan, this is everything I like in a game! It has it's issues sure, but I feel that a lot of people really over exaggerate the problems that they have with this game. And talking a game down or giving it a bad review because it doesn't hold your hand seems kinda weird to me. I know this game isn't really a ten not even a nine, but I feel like I have toFor a Lovecraft and murder mystery fan, this is everything I like in a game! It has it's issues sure, but I feel that a lot of people really over exaggerate the problems that they have with this game. And talking a game down or giving it a bad review because it doesn't hold your hand seems kinda weird to me. I know this game isn't really a ten not even a nine, but I feel like I have to give this score, because a lot of reviews have been dragging this game far too down so that people that might like this game are gonna be put off by this low score! So even when I give this a ten it's more a 8/10 for me! Expand
  14. Jun 26, 2019
    Good game, good story. Overpriced a little bit. I totally recommend to buy it.
  15. Jun 27, 2019
    Amazing game, even the city being too big, its a great title.
    I am a huge lovecraft fan and this was what i needed! Way better than the "Call of Cthulhu" from Cyanide, its even comparable to Silent Hill
  16. Jun 26, 2019
    This is good, interesting game. With great story. Maybe it is a little bit long. But this game cost to play it.
  17. Jun 28, 2019
    Definitely has it's bugs and flaws, especially in the graphics side of things, but the game is a load of fun, and I honestly think some of the bugs add to the horror.
    I enjoy the deduction, even if it's a bit straight forward (still early in the game). The way your "madness sight" works is brilliant, sometimes forcing you to lean towards insanity just to figure out what is going on.
  18. Jun 29, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Sinking City takes steps into genre-refreshing territory in order to set it apart from its Lovecraftian peers. Where 2018’s Call of Cthulhu tries to carve out a small space to tell its own stand-alone story that tucked itself into the already existing cosmic lore, The Sinking City feels like it’s picking up eight movies into a Lovecraft cinematic Cthu-niverse, delivering a concentrated dose of its distinctive flavor. The first five minutes introduce the protagonist, Charles Reed, to Mister Robert Throgmorton, an important character who appears to be half-ape, half-human. That’s a deep-cut reference to Lovecraft’s short story, "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family." This is quickly followed up by a run-in with the Innsmouthers, who are basically fish people from another novella. It pulls from so many of Lovecraft’s plots, quotes, and themes that it reverently captures the intrigue and interest from these pulpy stories while combining them in a new way. It inspires political and criminal intrigue amidst its true-to-genre story. Expand
  19. Jul 8, 2019
    I enjoyed playing this game so much even though it got repetitive towards the end. It combines an open world game design mixed with survivor horror and detective work. It implemented the cthulu lore pretty well. The atmosphere and graphics were really good. The loading screens were incredibly long and the game felt like it needed more content to be a truly good game. The gameI enjoyed playing this game so much even though it got repetitive towards the end. It combines an open world game design mixed with survivor horror and detective work. It implemented the cthulu lore pretty well. The atmosphere and graphics were really good. The loading screens were incredibly long and the game felt like it needed more content to be a truly good game. The game sometimes felt like a chore to play but the unique, slow paced gameplay and engrossing atmosphere is something not seen in many games nowadays. Expand
  20. Oct 16, 2019
    Game is much better than the rviews tell you. If you like Lovecraft there is nothing to think about -just buy. I had great time with this title and even made a platinum trophy out of it.
  21. Jul 29, 2019
    Best contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
    This game does not deserve all these low marks.
    Pros: - Close to 8th summit tabletop game with all the investigation mechanics, but deeper - A lot of dialogues that RPG fans will like - Tough plot choices, several endings, different quests outcomes - Not too much combat, almost every encounter is a challenge -
    Best contemporary Lovecraft game there is, maybe the best one ever.
    This game does not deserve all these low marks.

Pros:
    - A lot of dialogues that RPG fans will like
    - Tough plot choices, several endings, different quests outcomes
    - Not too much combat, almost every encounter is a challenge
    - Strong survival element in the first half of the game
    - Creepy atmosphere that does not get old, lovely town with interesting lore incorporating different Lovecraft stories
    - Really interesting main plot

Cons:
    - clunky combat and few monster types
    - too much travel between locations (gets better when you get fast travel, but then you wait for load screens)
    - clone sidequests houses
    - open world could be much more rich with just a little effort from developers who could add merchants, more item types, add more exploration incentives, random encounters
    - some sidequests are fetch ones and get repetitive, but there are some absolute gems and unexpected plot twists
    - main character has zero charisma and could use more back story
  22. Jul 13, 2019
    I`m about halfway through the story and i really enjoy this game. The nightmarish, strange game world and lore are amazing.
    The investigation system and moral choice mechanics are very cool.
    The investigation system and moral choice mechanics are very cool.
    Graphics are nice, loading times are ok, there are frame rate drops during daytime, some pop ups, but no game braking bugs/glitches, whats pretty impressive in a open world game from a small studio (unlike in some high budget lame "creations" from famous companies *cough* "Anthem", "F76"*cough*).
    Music is nice, fits to games atmosphere. Some voice actors are doing awesome job, like main protagonist Charles Reed or Robert Throgmorton.
    People are complaining about shooting mechanics, iv´e seen worse, like in recent "Left alive". Just play more stealthily, utilize traps and enable strong aim assist if you are still struggling (lol).

1. Aug 1, 2019
    I would recommend this game only to true Lovecraft’s fans. Follow the story and don’t step aside – otherwise, due to a large number of side quests, you may completely lose the thread of the story. You won’t find interesting gameplay mechanics, gloomy atmosphere or something like that in this game. All I managed to find was a simple detective story with elements of mysticism and a bunch of controversial design solutions. I definitely do not advise you to spend money on The Sinking City.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Jul 30, 2019
    Weaves Lovecraftian mythos into an interesting setting. But it frequently veers into being dull and repetitive, which isn’t what you want from dreamlike horror. [Issue#165, p.89]
  3. Jul 19, 2019
    The Sinking City is a fun game, but to really enjoy it there is a lot you'll have to put up with. Maybe that will be solved in the future, but at the moment the only thing that really saves this game is the amazing influence of Lovecraft.