7.3

1. May 17, 2015
    Unfinished Swan is what most indie developers strive to achieve. Unfinished Swan is different and beautiful, yet simple. The game starts out having the player color the white world with black paint. Instead of a normal exploration game, you have to color the world, while also discovering it. The game starts adding variation to the world around you by adding some painted objects andUnfinished Swan is what most indie developers strive to achieve. Unfinished Swan is different and beautiful, yet simple. The game starts out having the player color the white world with black paint. Instead of a normal exploration game, you have to color the world, while also discovering it. The game starts adding variation to the world around you by adding some painted objects and shadows. This is done so you do not have to just continually paint everything the rest of the game. This is done so that the player does not get annoyed by just throwing paint continuously. And that is the line Unfinished Swan is so carefully balanced on. The line between new mechanics and annoyance. Only once in the game did a mechanic overstay its welcome a bit too long for me. For the most part the game changes mechanics regularly enough that the player stays engaged. I expected the mechanics to stay very similar throughout the game with slight variations, but instead was surprised by the amount of variation in the different chapters in the game. This variation made me want to continue playing not just to explore the beautiful world, but also to see what new mechanics are added. The story is told like a children's book. As you explore the world you will see letters on the walls and floors. These small snippets of story help explain what you are seeing in the game world and why the world is changing. The story is not complex by any means. It is a very simple story that is there to compliment the game world, and it does so perfectly. The Unfinished Swan is a game that I would recommend to just about anyone. Not only was it one of the best games of last generation, but it is now one of the best games on PS4. Expand
  2. Sep 13, 2015
    Other than a few simple puzzles the gameplay in the Unfinished Swan involves little more than pushing the shoulder buttons (to fire out ink or water to paint and interact with the game world) and moving forward. As a result those that prefer their games to be more involved will likely give up pretty quickly.

This is however another good example of what indie developers can offer to

This is however another good example of what indie developers can offer to modern gaming as these short, but unique, experiences could never be justified in a bigger budget game where developers have publishers and shareholders to answer to. In all honesty its not up there with the very indie titles, such as Journey or Braid, but I for one enjoyed the world and narrative Giant Sparrow have created.
  3. May 26, 2015
    I played this game thanks to the PS+ subscription but I'll review it like if i bought it as is no longer available for free.
    A game that could easily be described as art, the music, the graphics, and the idea behind the gameplay are simply amazing. Even the story that seems pretty boring ends up having a true artistic side.
    The puzzles are very easy and the game won't last more than 2
    The puzzles are very easy and the game won't last more than 2 hours (if you look for collectibles add one hour more) and for that I can't give a higher mark even if I absolutely loved the games, like art it really depends on your preferences.
  4. Sep 3, 2015
    I appreciate the uniqueness and creativity of this game but ultimately it's a bore. After a while I simply lost interest. You have to have an acquired taste for this game to like it but for me it was as fun as reading a dictionary.
  5. Dec 22, 2014
    Here's the thing. I thought this game was gorgeous. I finished it solely because I couldn't wait to see what I uncovered with my next gob of paint. I took so many screenshots I think I broke my hard-drive. However, that's where the draw ends. The story is light, LIGHT, and is pretty standard of these sort of image focused releases (think Proteus or Flower). You are this, you are doing thisHere's the thing. I thought this game was gorgeous. I finished it solely because I couldn't wait to see what I uncovered with my next gob of paint. I took so many screenshots I think I broke my hard-drive. However, that's where the draw ends. The story is light, LIGHT, and is pretty standard of these sort of image focused releases (think Proteus or Flower). You are this, you are doing this and then this happens. Game over. It's a VERY brief romp and meant to be played again I believe due to the random image creation through the games most appealing mechanic (lobbing black paint), but I couldn't bring myself to do it. If you want to get lost in some gorgeous imagery, take a chance on Unfinished Swan. If you're looking for a solid story or strong game-play mechanics, look somewhere else. 6/10 Expand
  6. Apr 7, 2015
    Fun and beautiful, but not coming close to the adventure that was Journey. Some interesting ideas are explored, but I didn't feel compelled enough to go back and find every last balloon.
  7. May 12, 2016
    The Unfinished Swan is a unique adventure/platformer centered around paint. Paint plays both an important roll in the story as well as the gameplay. Playing form the perspective of a young the gameplay is quite simple. Besides moving and jumping each level features just one mechanic such as throwing paint. Its a pretty straight-forward and simple game but it does have its charming moments.The Unfinished Swan is a unique adventure/platformer centered around paint. Paint plays both an important roll in the story as well as the gameplay. Playing form the perspective of a young the gameplay is quite simple. Besides moving and jumping each level features just one mechanic such as throwing paint. Its a pretty straight-forward and simple game but it does have its charming moments. Let me help you decide if those will be enough to be worth your time.

You experience this story as a young orphan boy called Monroe. The only item Monroe has left from the mother is a single painting of an unfinished swan. His mother could never finish anything and this clearly influences Monroe as many of the environments you traverse are also unfinished. As you play through Monroe's dream you will find several storybook pages scattered around the world. These bite-sized tales help give reason to the world around you. They are quite random and fantastical as you might expect a young boy would make up.

The key character in most of the these stories is simply referred to as the King. The King is special in as he has a magic paint brush with which he can create objects just by painting them. The problem is the king is quite reckless and self-adsorbed. I don't want to give away much more of the story but the king goes through quite a bit throughout the story. Its not until another major character is introduced that the king starts to change and the story starts to ties back to Monroe's story.

The gameplay is very simple and features just a couple core mechanics that are featured throughout your adventure. Painting is a huge part of Monroe's imagination and so its no surprise that the first mechanic is the ability to throw paint. The stages start out as just a white screen and you must throw black paint around to find the path you need to proceed. Its quite an exciting mechanic for discovery as you never know what you'll be walking into. In the following chapter your ability to throw paint is swapped with the ability to toss water. Now the world is filled out but you must use the water to push levelers and attract vines to climb on as you traverse the environments.

There is no denying the unique mechanics this game features. Its definitely a very original adventure game with a fairly quirky story-line. I will note however that the game never feels too terribly exciting. After you've played awhile and near the ends of the different chapters the mechanics start lose a little bit of their luster. All that said, this is still an enjoyable experience for those looking to mix it up a bit just don't expect to many surprises.
  8. Dec 27, 2017
    Very similar review to the one I just did (of Firewatch). Not sure how this game has such a high rating. It's not fun or exciting, and it's not a challenge. It's an interesting idea though, the way you make the area visible by throwing ink around, but it's not what I play games for.
  9. Jan 26, 2015
    A simple but great game! The gameplay is very easy and fun, you throw paint balls to color the environment and know where to go. Also, you can use it to activate some puzzles that constantly are appearing. The controls are very simple to use. Is a good looking game, it has decent graphics and the soundtrack is very good. The only problem that i find is that sometimes there are frame dropsA simple but great game! The gameplay is very easy and fun, you throw paint balls to color the environment and know where to go. Also, you can use it to activate some puzzles that constantly are appearing. The controls are very simple to use. Is a good looking game, it has decent graphics and the soundtrack is very good. The only problem that i find is that sometimes there are frame drops while you are walking and shooting the paint balls. Expand
  10. Jan 31, 2015
    Less is more!
    The game was in discount and seemed to have high scores on the net.
    So knowing nothing about it I just bought it. My first impression staring at a complete blank screen with a little circle in the middle was : wtf is this? After throwing a few paintballs I was hanging back on the couch like : wow! The concept of using this paintballs to get through a beautifull
    Less is more!
    The game was in discount and seemed to have high scores on the net.
    So knowing nothing about it I just bought it.

After throwing a few paintballs I was hanging back on the couch like : wow!

The concept of using this paintballs to get through a beautifull minimalistic world is brilliant.
    The story is a short, simple fairy tale for children. More some sort of excuse to keep de game going.
    Not bad, I liked it but certainly not a deep, solid story with good twists and such.
    I did not mind the story much as I was totaly sucked up into the visual experience.

The gameplay is easy as are the puzzles.
    Everything is quiet obvious, the levels are straight forward and not large.
    Finishing the game takes just a few hours.
    But thats not where the fun ends. My 4 year old son is totaly crazy about this game. Yes it's that easy and fun!
  11. Dec 1, 2014
    It's very brief, but utterly charming. The levels shake things up regularly, ranging from painting invisible obstacles to growing vines to climb, to creating platforms. It's a very interesting and visually striking puzzle game that's worth playing if you're interested by the concept.
  12. Jan 22, 2015
    this game is one of the cheapest games on psn, and its absolutely a must-have with it's unique mechanics (dont read anything about it, finding out by yourself is part of fun here).
    give it a try and enjoy a couple hours of puzzle story
  13. May 10, 2015
    Free games on PSN+ again! Ah well, I really wanted to finish this game as it got rave reviews in the PS3 version and I never got my sticky paws on it. Fine, it's an OK game to kill an hour, which is approximately how long it will take for you to beat the game unless you're a toddler or mentally handicapped.

The mechanics are cool, but get old after a couple of minutes. Lack of a run

The mechanics are cool, but get old after a couple of minutes. Lack of a run button really gets on your nerves at some stages. Otherwise, it's just OK.

The most difficult part in this game was hitting ladders after a jump and not fall of from the side.

Don't spend your money. Get it for free. 7 is only for the interesting mechanics, which would be cool to combine with an ACTUAL game.
  14. May 8, 2015
    Art seems to be the main theme, main drive and the result of this game. It's a clever and unique puzzle game that, while basic on many levels, offers exploration in a completely new way.

I wont add spoilers - but the first 2 minutes of game play confused the hell out of me followed by real delight. It's a genius concept and I think for an easy going game its one I'll go back to and complete.

A lot of people called this game 'Charming' and I think no word fits it better. On PS+ now
  15. Jun 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A relaxing game. I like it. Some times boring some times not. I think 6 it's a fair score. I like the simplicity of the game, the environment and the fun to stoned and play it Expand
  16. May 16, 2015
    Bad game, terrible. I had nausea playing this game. The only reason that I tried to play is because now it is free on psn. But you can try too. Good luck!
  17. May 3, 2017
    The concept of the game is very cool, and perhaps the story is too, but I split it up over 3 nights despite it being a short game and didn't feel connected to it. I plan to re-play it at some point though because I feel that I should play it in one sitting and take in the story more.
  18. Jul 9, 2017
    This game is unique, beautiful, original, heartwarming. The music is fantastic and well suited. You can finish the story in a single play through, and that is a good thing. The Unfinished Swan is a work of art and a must play.
  19. Oct 13, 2019
    the way this guys create stories is just beautiful. they really try to be creative, the storytelling never dissapoint in touching you. their games may not be the triple A kind, but its actually a lot better than most of the AAA
  20. Nov 6, 2015
    Short unique platforming adventure game. It doesn't have a lot of depth, and it's really easy to 100% complete and delete off your hard drive. It's a fun short experience, but not a definite must buy or anything.
  21. Oct 11, 2015
    An interesting and unique puzzler which is relatively simplistic and playable by anyone. Its more of an experience than a game and despite its adventure aspects it is extremely linear and offers little to no replay value. However, what it does, it does well. Several gameplay elements which get introduced as you progress, they all work well and are very easy to get to grips with. TheAn interesting and unique puzzler which is relatively simplistic and playable by anyone. Its more of an experience than a game and despite its adventure aspects it is extremely linear and offers little to no replay value. However, what it does, it does well. Several gameplay elements which get introduced as you progress, they all work well and are very easy to get to grips with. The story is akin to a fairy tale and serves to usher the story along. Overall I found it a relaxing game in the same vein as something like Journey. Its actually a little hard to score or define, it is very good, but it's not a 10. I'd give it a 7.5 so I'll round it up. Expand
  22. Jun 23, 2015
    The Unfinished Swan is a perfect game if you want to relax and have fun at the same time. It is pretty easy but good nevertheless. Unfortunately, the game's a little short, but you can replay it anytime.
  23. Feb 10, 2016
    This game is stunning in visuals and stunning in concept. However it lacks any real challenge, and the story seems to be geared towards a very young audience. Despite this, I was engrossed in the innovative gameplay of the Unfinished Swan, and found myself completing it in one sitting. The length of the game may in fact be an issue for some but I felt it did well not to overstay it'sThis game is stunning in visuals and stunning in concept. However it lacks any real challenge, and the story seems to be geared towards a very young audience. Despite this, I was engrossed in the innovative gameplay of the Unfinished Swan, and found myself completing it in one sitting. The length of the game may in fact be an issue for some but I felt it did well not to overstay it's welcome. Maybe the core mechanic of the game could have been utilised further, but I was satisfied with the game as a whole when it did come to an end. Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2017
    I really hate useless _/10 scores, but this platform forces one, so wait until the end for a recommendation on how much you should buy it for, as I feel it to be a more accurate representation of whether the game is, you know... worth it. The Unfinished Swan is an avaunt-garde adventure game developed by Giant Sparrow. The gameplay is the main focus of the game, revolving around firingI really hate useless _/10 scores, but this platform forces one, so wait until the end for a recommendation on how much you should buy it for, as I feel it to be a more accurate representation of whether the game is, you know... worth it. The Unfinished Swan is an avaunt-garde adventure game developed by Giant Sparrow. The gameplay is the main focus of the game, revolving around firing balls of paint or water to reveal your surroundings or solve various puzzles (there are a few more later, but I won't spoil them). It's a generally interesting concept, and it's done well within the context of the game, but it felt more like a tech demo then a fully-fleshed out game around any of the concepts. That's what this game is, a concept. It's not particularly long, the visuals are minimalist, the music is very 'hipster' if I had to describe it in a word. This isn't to say it's a bad concept by any means, the story is charming, and the aforementioned sound and graphical design compliment it. The different gameplay concepts fit with the story and setting to a relatively interesting degree, though a bit inconsistently. There is a large difference between the quality of the first stage, and the forest much later in the game. The last level is just a toss up of the various things you've used so far, and it feels like what the game was originally. A 20 minute demo of a bunch of cool mechanics, but with no real core. So... is this game bad? No. Is it worth the $15 asking price? i would wait for a sale, but I suppose it depends much more on what kind of gamer you are. Expand
  25. Mar 22, 2017
    Excellent game, an artistic one for sure. Simple, beautiful and fun. Obviously if you like action games do not buy. I got this game for 2$ on sale and it´s ridiculous considering the quality of it...Don´t hesitate and grab it if you can.
  26. Dec 9, 2015
    Wow is all I have to say about this game. So unique and a ton of fun. I did not want this game to end. The gameplay is fun and reminds me of how a game like Portal handles, but the white slate world you move around in and how you must make the world appear around you is such a cool mechanic. This is one of those lower budget game titles that makes people keep searching out the indie/lowWow is all I have to say about this game. So unique and a ton of fun. I did not want this game to end. The gameplay is fun and reminds me of how a game like Portal handles, but the white slate world you move around in and how you must make the world appear around you is such a cool mechanic. This is one of those lower budget game titles that makes people keep searching out the indie/low budget games for gems like this. The game is an art title with basic game mechanics, so if that's not for you than I would skip this title, but most people will enjoy just discovering what is hidden under the ocean of blank-ness!

9.2/10
  27. Feb 6, 2016
    This game honestly had me in tears at the end. The way the story is developed is fantastic. Although the story is not a immediate interest, as you get toward the end - it adds such a deep layer to this game. The gameplay itself is also very enjoyable. All in all, this is one of my favorite games of all time.
  28. Jun 25, 2018
    The start of "The Unfinished Swan" is a truly wonderful example of game design. However I felt the game gradually went downhill from there, and I pretty much hated the last third and was glad when it was over. I was hoping that the game's simplicity would be exploited in cunning ways, but I wasn't impressed. Oh well. I'll try whatever else Giant Sparrow makes, as maybe next time they haveThe start of "The Unfinished Swan" is a truly wonderful example of game design. However I felt the game gradually went downhill from there, and I pretty much hated the last third and was glad when it was over. I was hoping that the game's simplicity would be exploited in cunning ways, but I wasn't impressed. Oh well. I'll try whatever else Giant Sparrow makes, as maybe next time they have a great idea they'll deliver a great game to go with it. Expand
  29. Dec 8, 2018
    ..........................................................................-

1. Jan 4, 2015
    After two years from the PS3 release, The Unfinished Swan is finally available on PS4 and PSV. And the gameplay is still funny and fresh.
  2. Nov 10, 2014
    Instead of a game, The Unfinished Swan is an experience… which will be enjoyed for most users.
  3. Nov 7, 2014
    It's the kind of failure many developers work their fingers to the bone to achieve.