7.4

1. Feb 19, 2016
    Great game with a very personal tale to tell, amazing characters and a phenomenal ending, the graphics are extremely realistic with environments that look like a beautiful picture. A short and sweet adventure into a little boys imagination and his world.
  2. Mar 20, 2016
    A great looking Cthulhu style adventure mystery in first person. This game wasn't very long but what there is I found really enjoyable. I had a few issues with controls but all round this is a good game.
  3. Aug 4, 2015
    This game is pretty good. the graphics is the strongest point and it is even better with the latest game patch as it locks the frame rate so no more stuttering! i finished the game last night and i was slightly sad at the length of the game but other than that i really enjoyed it so i certainly recommend it!!
  4. Jul 15, 2015
    The game is gorgeous and every bit as brilliant as it's PC big brother (See PC review for game details). Yes the game does have a variable framerate as some have stated, but it is far from a game breaker. If you don't game on PC, then definately check this out on PS4.
  5. Jul 17, 2015
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    A beautiful puzzle
    The vanishing is a great looking game with a dash of challenge and mystery essential a linear openish world murder mystery game that doesn’t hold your hand Youre placed into a gorgeous world and aren’t really told what to do youll come across notes and dead bodies and have to figure out how they got there you do this by examining
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    A beautiful puzzle
    The vanishing is a great looking game with a dash of challenge and mystery
    Youre placed into a gorgeous world and aren’t really told what to do
    you do this by examining scenes and items
    using your sense will show you where an item youre missing is located visually without just handing the solution to you
    you still need to put in the work of studying your surroundings.
    After you’ve found all of your clues you can touch the dead body and attempt to place the events in chronical order to see how they all played out and get clues on where to head to next in your search for Ethan
    This is the best mystery solving ive ever seen in a game and think developers should really take note.
    This is the new standard.
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter will take you on a great adventures and various locations.
    You’ll never feel too board, as the pacing is perfect enough and problem solving is simple enough to not have you feel frustrated or like you are dragging yourself through this 4 hour game.
    The downside though is of course that it is only 3 to 4 hours long and there is absolutely no replayability.
    Once you’ve found the few secrets and surprises the games have to offer that’s about it..
    The openish world is very linear and leaves little to no room for exploration.
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a one time deal
    And honestly I think this one time deal is worth your time
    for what it is
    Action-Adventure/Murder Mystery: 8.5/10
    Overall: 8/10
  6. Mar 25, 2016
    The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter turned out surprisingly different to how I anticipated it would be. In a good way. The environment was lush with detailed and beautiful graphics. Piecing together the stories was a pleasure and the ending was moving and satisfying. It's a short story, but it's one you can really take your time with and absorb. It depends of course on what you want out of aThe Vanishing Of Ethan Carter turned out surprisingly different to how I anticipated it would be. In a good way. The environment was lush with detailed and beautiful graphics. Piecing together the stories was a pleasure and the ending was moving and satisfying. It's a short story, but it's one you can really take your time with and absorb. It depends of course on what you want out of a game, but this was an experience I very much enjoyed. Expand
  7. Jul 15, 2015
    This is a first person mystery game with light puzzles and rich and atmospheric setting with engaging story. You play as a supernatural detective - Paul Prospero - who is in search of a little boy named Ethan.The graphics are phenomenal and the music is very pleasent.
    PS4 version has better save system than the PC one. It takes ~ 5h - just perfect little interactive story.
  8. Jul 21, 2015
    The Vanishing of Nathan Carter turns out to be one of the best free world exploring games I've ever played. The graphics are impressively realistic and the quality of the details is amazing. The gameplay is quite entertaining, and the plot and history of the game is addictive. Once you start to solve the puzzles and experience the history, you will go on until the end of the title, whichThe Vanishing of Nathan Carter turns out to be one of the best free world exploring games I've ever played. The graphics are impressively realistic and the quality of the details is amazing. The gameplay is quite entertaining, and the plot and history of the game is addictive. Once you start to solve the puzzles and experience the history, you will go on until the end of the title, which is perfectly suitable for its duration doesn't exceed four or five hours approximately.

I really recommend this title, a perfect smooth mistery and thriller game that maintains you focused and just necessarily frightened at some parts.
  9. Jul 28, 2015
    It was an amazing experience, I was immersed in the world of the game from the beginning to the end. The story is interesting, leaving some space for the player to fill with their own interpretations. The graphics, the best I've seen so far in the PS4. I would have liked it to last a little longer.
  10. Aug 25, 2017
    You are Paul Prosero, a detective sent to solve the Vanishing of Ethan Carter in an erea where it appears everyone else has vanished too!
    This is a tough one to review as its originality and story driven plot somewhat overirde the gameplay it tries to submit. The story grabs you and draws you in to very unpredictable episodes and circumstances, however, the pace of these stories can differ and you can do them in any order, even missing some entirely after you complete it. It starts out a bit vague and just drops you within the broder of this town and says 'get on with it'. Then you have to walk everywhere, which takes a hell of a long time, especially if you miss something and have to go back for it.
    Controls are fine, simple enough to get to grips with and the graphics are very polished for games like this. The atmosphere is mixed between eerie, etherial, intruiging, creepy and with a few jump scares thrown in.
    Your character's chrono kinesis case solving is very effective and fun as you try to piece things together on how they occured. Trial and error can get you through most of it though.
    The ending doesn't disappoint, and neother does each chapter which in hindsight could have been written individually and clumped together into one big umbrella story, still , it is done well.

Negatives are the emptiness of the game. No real interaction, a reocurring problem that shouldn't be happening with games these days. The relentless walking is a pain, could have coded a vehicle in there somewhere, or even warp points or something. No reply value. A bit too short, might be about 6 hours, tops.

It has a lot of unique and memorable moments though and is worth playing through to find a few twists
  11. Nov 3, 2017
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has more actual gameplay that you would expect from walking simulator. And exploring environment is also a lot of fun, because of almost photorealistic graphics.
  12. Nov 5, 2017
    For anyone familiar with the title will know that it started life on PC and has found it's way onto the Playstation 4 in digital form only.
    How has the game transferred over to the PS4? In short, brilliantly.
    How has the game transferred over to the PS4? In short, brilliantly.
    The game is beautiful. From the very start you will look at the light cascading through the branches of trees and dancing off the surface of watery lakes and rivers. Two updates have been downloaded to improve the game.

The story is of course about Ethan Carter, that's as much as I can tell you. Saying any more will be considered a spoiler. On starting a play-through you will be dumped on a rail road track and off you go, no hints, no hand holding and at first this can be quit off putting but stay with it as before long you will be taken on a fantastic adventure solving puzzles and piecing together the story of Ethan Carter.
    One thing worth mentioning is you wont have any gun fix in this game, in fact anyone expecting you run and gun or even pick up a plank of wood will be very put out. No gun toting here, just good old fashioned adventuring.

Be sure to look everywhere as the developer has some 'out of this world' surprises in store.
    I feel that many developers will take a stab at this kind of experience as so many shooters and First Person games are getting very stale.

The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter is refreshing and a game that every PS4 gamer should give a go.
  13. Nov 13, 2017
    This is a narrative game with an amazing story. If you are looking for a puzzle filled challenge that will rack your brain, this is not it. If you are looking for an experience that will stick with you, then this is a game for you. I really enjoyed it, and played through it in an afternoon. I liken this game to the entertainment level of a good movie.
  14. Dec 28, 2018
    Review based on the PS4 Pro experience. First and utmost important hint: get your expectations right before buying this game then it can be phenomenal!

The game evolves around a small and beautiful land scenery where you are investigate the vanishing of ethan carter as a paranormal investigator driving you to numerous sports where you basically look around and put pieces together, bring it in the right story timeline and get a video what happened originally. By doing this you are getting routed to the whole scenery, numerous spots and gain intelligence about Ethan Carter and his surroundings.

The plot, can be sometimes weird, sometimes paranormal, horror-ish and with dark themed elements. After all the story is well made to me but the ending is a "could be improved" to bad one. I will not spoil too much but I think there could have been more intense and more mystery infused choices but the devs made their decision and I will respect that. Its still not bad with a nice twist after all.

The visuals and sound is outstanding. As this game is basically a walking simulator the ressources can be used for stunning visuals and the devs hit that on the spot. The sound puts a lot to the atmosphere from squeaking trees to howling caves, its truly awesome and brought the creeps to me! I did not have any lags or stutters, the game was always smooth.

Length, depends on how you get into the game. It took me a while to get a grip on it but I finished the game including optional achievements in probably 8hrs or something like that. I think its mostly around 5 to 10hrs depending on playstyle and I had quite some backtracking to do because of own mistakes.

Worth or not? I had no expectations I was even well aware I was buying a "stupid" walking simulator and the beginning was frustrating but the scenery and the atmosphere is so damn rewarding in this game that I would totally buy it again. You should be well aware though that this game is ONLY about walking, solving minimal puzzles and learning about the story. Finally I think the price makes the deal. I got the game for 6.99 probably 9.99 would be okay too if I would have to invest more then 10 or at max 12 I would not recommend buying it.

With that said: please give it a try if you enjoy mystery and good atmosphere. I feel this game and the devs put some good ideas and intentions into this game that are worth supporting. Cheers!
  15. Apr 27, 2020
    Fantastica avventura narrativa-investigativa, da capire e da giocare con molta calma. Comparti grafico e sonoro top, vero punto di forza l assenza di indicazioni esterne su cosa fare o dove andare, il giocatore è libero di gestire la partita quindi di esplorare e godere di ogni piccolo dettaglio del gioco se vuole proseguire. Unico contro la longevità

Generally favorable reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Oct 16, 2015
    The environment’s naturalism and splendour make the core of the game feel more exotic than it really is. [November 2015, p79]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 21, 2015
    A little threadbare and not as revolutionary as it appears, but poignant and breathtakingly realised. [Oct 2015, p.95]
  3. Sep 21, 2015
    A splendid narrative experience that is not to be missed.