7.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Sep 7, 2020
    My personal favorite in the series, the platforming and puzzle mechanics are the best and most clever yet. The levels are dripping with detail and personality. As a collectathon this is a great example of a game that respects the player's time. Each individual level is quite long which normally would make returning to round up collectibles a complete chore. This is fixed with the abilityMy personal favorite in the series, the platforming and puzzle mechanics are the best and most clever yet. The levels are dripping with detail and personality. As a collectathon this is a great example of a game that respects the player's time. Each individual level is quite long which normally would make returning to round up collectibles a complete chore. This is fixed with the ability to start at any of the 20 or so checkpoints you want, and you're even shown how many experience drops are remaining in range of each checkpoint so you don't have to comb back through the entire level again, the hunt is narrowed down just enough to keep it from getting tedious. Some might call it too streamlined but I think it totally works and made me 'want' to go back and collect stuff I missed.

The only aspect of this game I found executed rather poorly was combat. I realize Trine is more about the puzzle platforming than action, and that's how it should always be, but any time I got to a combat section, I didn't want to deal with it. There's very little feedback when hitting enemies and the areas you fight in are so small and cramped with enemies that combat mechanics for the wizard and thief get hindered by the platforms. It has been a while since I played the first two but I don't remember the combat being this unsatisfying in either of them. Regardless I still think 4 is a cut above the rest in most aspects.

Trine 1: 6/10
    Trine 2: 7/10
    Trine 3: didn't play
    Trine 4: 7.5/10
  2. Oct 8, 2019
    This game reverses all the previous mistakes in trine 3 and doubles down on all the mechanics that made the first 2 games fantastic. Every set of stages adds new abilities and puzzles to tackle. The graphics are very impressive and the coop gets an entirely separate set of puzzles than single player. All in all this has become my favorite game of the series.
  3. Feb 17, 2020
    -- Deutsche/German Review --
    -- Deutsche/German Review --
    Also ich war kein Feind von dem 3D-Versuch im dritten Teil. Trotzdem war ich auch zufrieden mit dem "Zurück-zu-den-Wurzeln-Weg". Das Spiel ist wirklich sehr gut und hat mir einige gute Stunden mit meinen Freunden beschert. Die Story ist "nett", aber das war mir auch nicht wichtig. Besonders manche Rätsel haben mich wirklich knobeln lassen. Besonders im Coop, wenn verschiedene Ansichtssachen bei den Rätseln aufeinander prallen kommt richtig Spaß auf. Hier lohnt sich definitiv das Geld. Man sollte natürlich kein Meisterwerk erwarten, aber eins zwei gelungene Abende mit Freunden schenkt es definitiv.
  4. Oct 16, 2019
    Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a return to what Trine fans love about the series. The unique puzzles are set in beautiful locales, and the characters are really fun to use. What ultimately holds it back is the feeling that the team at Frozenbyte played it safe after Trine 3. Due to long levels and slow progression, it can at times feel as though the game drags. While I wish there hadTrine 4: The Nightmare Prince is a return to what Trine fans love about the series. The unique puzzles are set in beautiful locales, and the characters are really fun to use. What ultimately holds it back is the feeling that the team at Frozenbyte played it safe after Trine 3. Due to long levels and slow progression, it can at times feel as though the game drags. While I wish there had more to the game, you can do much worse than to pick up Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince. Expand
  5. Apr 27, 2020
    Trine4 is still beautiful and has some lovely animals, which I really like. In addition, some scenes impressed me, which I found more beautiful than trine123, and the characters, jokes and stories were lovely. The downside of the game is that there are still too few bosses and battles are not fun. It's always a little flawed, but I love the series, and I love trine4's art and story style,Trine4 is still beautiful and has some lovely animals, which I really like. In addition, some scenes impressed me, which I found more beautiful than trine123, and the characters, jokes and stories were lovely. The downside of the game is that there are still too few bosses and battles are not fun. It's always a little flawed, but I love the series, and I love trine4's art and story style, and it makes me feel warm. It's also fun to play with friends online. I expect the series to go on and on.

In addition, I know that making the game too difficult may affect sales. However, keeping it simple also made me think it wasn't fun enough to repeat.
    Anyway, I look forward to Frozenbyte making a better trine in the future.
  6. Jan 2, 2021
    Some of the boss fights especially can be a little confusing and the story isn't particularly amazing, but besides that as someone who often hates puzzles, i found this game quite enjoyable. It looks wonderful and has a beautiful soundtrack. Most enjoyably, many of the puzzles have multiple solutions. While it never had me in love with it, its a pretty dang good puzzle platformer. 80/100
  7. Jun 5, 2021
    A new Trine it's always a reason to celebrate, especially if you have played and enjoyed the previous ones as I did and was worried about the franchise due the "fiasco" of the third part.
    Trine 4 reverts the aspects that did not work well on the last one, basically the 3D and the duration and offers a really enjoyable 2D game full with incredibly charming landscapes and puzzles while keeping the coach potato coop mode, that personally it's what I most like about the franchise.
    The only negative aspects that I found was the combat, in which the wizard is almost useless, the story (too much pursuing of the prince) and some abilities like the bouncing ball that I found no use for them.
    Nevertheless it's an awesome game and I just hope there will be many more.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 39 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 18, 2019
    Overall, Trine 4 is a delightful game that's sure to satisfy anyone looking for a fun, light-hearted physics-based puzzle game. With roughly 10 hours of content, it's an easy recommendation if only to experience the game world's rich art design and clever puzzles. The puzzles aren't as complex as those found in Portal 2 or The Witness, but the variety of approaches is rewarding in its own way. For that reason alone, it's easy to recommend Trine 4, a game in a genre that rarely receives entries with this level of heart and soul in the art design department.
  2. Dec 2, 2019
    Trine 4 goes back to its roots but feels more like an expansion than a real sequel.
  3. Oct 28, 2019
    I enjoyed my time in the world of Trine 4. The puzzles are engaging, the world is attractive, and there are few puzzle platform games with local co-op out there. There were a few issues here and there, but I recommend Trine 4 to anyone looking for a game to play with a friend.