• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Aug 25, 2015
8.3

1. Aug 29, 2015
    Of recent I have enjoyed Life is Strange and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - two games of which use an extensive narrative viewpoint in their own unique ways, coupled with varied elements of gameplay to stunning effect. It has been up to this point that I have wondered how would it turn out if such stunning effect were applied to a game in the horror genre (Life is Strange is largelyOf recent I have enjoyed Life is Strange and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - two games of which use an extensive narrative viewpoint in their own unique ways, coupled with varied elements of gameplay to stunning effect. It has been up to this point that I have wondered how would it turn out if such stunning effect were applied to a game in the horror genre (Life is Strange is largely fantasy, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is largely science fiction)? Until Dawn answers this question.

In the game you follow a story that is pure classic horror, recalling such masters as Wes Craven, John Carpenter, Sean Cunningham, George A Romero and many more. The story sprawls between a number of main plot threads with you controlling a series of characters and partaking in decisions to situations that may not only have immediate ramifications, but may and will alter the outcome of the game as a total. Control of the characters is kept to a strict limit, with them effectively being a 'cursor' or 'guide' in the gameplay segments, solving simple puzzles and being involved in action sequences that use quicktime events.

The presentation is outright stunning, the graphics detailing amazing facial reactions to the characters - a lot of the game is spent in conversation and if the graphics were not up to the task, it honestly would have suffered. Also of note are the lighting effects and the improvised 'camerawork' to action sequence and tense moments - someone's clearly done their homework and it shows, for this not only reveals an understanding of the horror genre, but in how movies work. If anything does suffer, its the occasional framerate stutter or slip, and its a (very) minor slip.

Sound also excels with a stellar arrangement that whilst not providing any signature melodies, piles on the tension and pressure when it needs to. The voice acting is of a really high standard, and there's only an occasional bad dialogue (this is extremely rare).

The gameplay has to rely on a combination of good plot and enough involvement to keep the player going, and thankfully it more than gives in this area. The plot sprawls and never fails to enthrall, whilst the execution of tense and action moments is beautifully executed. Then there's the added fact that the choices you make in the gameplay affect the game greatly - I'm on my second playthrough currently, and honestly there are a HUGE amount of differences in the plot.

This of course will come down to your enjoyment of the genre, and how the game plays-out (it is effectively an interactive movie). For me, I loved the sheer offset nature of the whole game. On one hand, I am being led on a path in which I make choices to affect future actions, but on the other hand I am presented with a wide range of choices I have to make in order to try and keep everyone alive - and that also includes how I react and perform when I am asked to, with no exceptions if I get it wrong.

A superb game that may not appeal to action junkies, but for veteran horror fans and anyone who enjoys the 'interactive movie' style of game, this is definately for you.
  2. Aug 25, 2015
    A game with less interactivity doesn't make it inheritance worse than other games. Until Dawn represents this idea and executes this premise fairly well. Good horror games make the player feel rather powerless or near powerless. An easy way to do this is to make interactivity to a low so that the intrinsic moments are heightened and the player feels tension with the looming threat hoveringA game with less interactivity doesn't make it inheritance worse than other games. Until Dawn represents this idea and executes this premise fairly well. Good horror games make the player feel rather powerless or near powerless. An easy way to do this is to make interactivity to a low so that the intrinsic moments are heightened and the player feels tension with the looming threat hovering around you. It's funny how the most criticized and sh*tposted aspect of this game, the lower level of interactivity, is actually the thing that teeters the game on the good side of horror games.

As stated with almost all reviews, this game embraces all the horror cliches in the book. Some find this endearing, some find it lazy. What's clear is that the developers understand set cliches and pay homage to it. The execution of these shticks varies, some great and others that will make you shake your head...

So it's a mixed bag of execution, but held together with a crux that makes it unique and compelling enough for admission.
  3. Sep 1, 2015
    Until Dawn is a great game, not perfect, but great. The story is a genuine homage no old teen horror movies and doesn't try to be nothing more, it respects what it is. As many have been saying, the game feels more like a interactive movie than a game and that works perfectly, as the gameplay with QTEs and decisions made throught the story feels really organic. Its is, however, a very shortUntil Dawn is a great game, not perfect, but great. The story is a genuine homage no old teen horror movies and doesn't try to be nothing more, it respects what it is. As many have been saying, the game feels more like a interactive movie than a game and that works perfectly, as the gameplay with QTEs and decisions made throught the story feels really organic. Its is, however, a very short game, but that flaw is compensated by the high replay value the game has. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2015
    The horror genre is probably the best for this style of game. It beats Telltale and Quantum Dreams games by far in entertaining me, which is obviously a very subjective statement and i like horror movies. Ever thought about teenagers making the wrong decisions in a slasher movie? Find out if you were right! The characters will seem cliché or stupid at start, but you will forget this fastThe horror genre is probably the best for this style of game. It beats Telltale and Quantum Dreams games by far in entertaining me, which is obviously a very subjective statement and i like horror movies. Ever thought about teenagers making the wrong decisions in a slasher movie? Find out if you were right! The characters will seem cliché or stupid at start, but you will forget this fast and grow fond of them fast, which is based on good performances, good actors and the devs talent in knowing their tools of psychological manipulation. SPOILER AHEAD - The one and only problem was myself not having any big connection to american native indians mythical or ghost stories, they fail to impress me much. Though i understand the writers choice to lay traps and try to lead you on a wrong path. Anyway, great game and also a new standard. When this game showed it's first trailers i was sure this would fail and i was very very wrong! Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2015
    Before I begin this review I must clarify I am not a fan of adventure, point and click, interactive sort of games. A good example on how these sorts of games can be considered mediocre and boring, just play one of David Cage's games and you will know what I mean. With the exception of Tell Tale Walking Dead Series. Usually games like the Beyond Two Souls and Indigo Prophecy in my eyes areBefore I begin this review I must clarify I am not a fan of adventure, point and click, interactive sort of games. A good example on how these sorts of games can be considered mediocre and boring, just play one of David Cage's games and you will know what I mean. With the exception of Tell Tale Walking Dead Series. Usually games like the Beyond Two Souls and Indigo Prophecy in my eyes are mediocre.

Now I will not bore you will a long review, and state the many accomplishment Until Dawn has in it's game. But instead I will explain my reasoning on why you should purchase this game and enjoy the many wounder for yourself.

1. It's not a corny and goofy wanna be game; as I first thought when i saw the trailer for it. To its core the game provides moments of great suspense and interesting view point on how the game will develop throughout your session. Moreover for the most part (except for 2 characters) the cast of Until Dawn are a likable bunch with their unique features to like and dislike.

2. I am going to be honest with you if you are a fast paste, FPS, MMO, MOBA, or RTS type of gamer (like me), this game will not quite satisfy you because its an exploring game as well. Therefore you must set your mind in a way an RPG player might have who enjoys exploring and immersing yourself in. If you get that mind set you will start to enjoy the game, if you are stuck with a fast paste mind set you might hate the game or struggle through it.

3. Simple to the point, it has many choices and they do weigh a great deal through the game. The choices in Until Dawn are not like some other games I played in which you might think it will impact the game progression but in reality it does nothing. (I'm looking at you Dragon Age Inquisition)

4. Finally I would say you will get your moneys worth, I beat the game in about 18 hours in a relax paste, and I have no regret spending 60 dollars on it. So I would say you should buy the game and enjoy the game charm. Thank you for reading and sorry for my poor English I am not a native speaker.
  6. Aug 27, 2015
    I really enjoyed this game. The story starts off sort of cliche, which is intentional, but once you get a few chapters in the mystery gets really good and the story picks up. It's basically the video game version of the Cabin in the Woods movie that came out a few years ago. One of the strong points of the game is the atmosphere, and a big part of that is the lighting effects, which areI really enjoyed this game. The story starts off sort of cliche, which is intentional, but once you get a few chapters in the mystery gets really good and the story picks up. It's basically the video game version of the Cabin in the Woods movie that came out a few years ago. One of the strong points of the game is the atmosphere, and a big part of that is the lighting effects, which are gorgeous in this game. The player choice element of the game make it worth doing a second playthrough, and even beyond that, as there is more than just 2 ways to do things with branching paths leading to other branching paths. It's a genuinely fun game that keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next. Overall, i think this is a great game and probably my favorite game this year after the Witcher 3. Would recommend it to anyone especially fans of horror movies. Expand
  7. Aug 25, 2015
    So this game boasts about how your choices greatly influence the outcome of the story. Here's some news that will shock no one: it won't. Sure you choose who lives and who dies, but the main premise is differed only slightly and incrementally. Not like Heavy Rain and certainly not like 999/VLR. Despite this, I still had an enjoyable time with all the campy horror nonsense going on.So this game boasts about how your choices greatly influence the outcome of the story. Here's some news that will shock no one: it won't. Sure you choose who lives and who dies, but the main premise is differed only slightly and incrementally. Not like Heavy Rain and certainly not like 999/VLR. Despite this, I still had an enjoyable time with all the campy horror nonsense going on.

There are plenty of great games that don't have much interactivity, I don't get why these types of games get **** for that. The game should be judge based on how that level of interactivity is executed and how it serves the narrative. Considering this is a horror-based choose your own adventure, it works well. Great even. The slow initial build and generic set-up hinder the game somewhat, but shouldn't wave the players interest. We've been starved for horror games, Until Dawn does a decent job at satisfying the hunger until SOMA.
  8. Aug 30, 2015
    I've just completed Until Dawn for the second time and wanted to share my thoughts.

Until Dawn is a third-person survival horror game. Some might not even consider it a game, since your actions are very limited in nature. If you've played any of David Cage's recent games, you will know what I mean. There are fixed camera angles, tense atmosphere, interaction witch specific items and the occasional dark humour.

Until Dawn is definitely not for everybody. It harnesses mechanics that 99% of games nowadays don't employ. At least not to such an extent. For example there are QTE-s that translate to split-second decisions which can determine whether your character dies or lives to see another scene. This can be infuriating but also intriguing. So your favourite character dies right before completing the game...does this spike anger or motivate you to a new playthrough? Only you can decide. Just a warning - if a character dies, there are no checkpoints or reloads. That character is dead permanently until a new playthrough.

That's the thing though. At least to me, decisions like these motivate me to give it multiple playthroughs. You're probably not going to get the same results or even the same ending. There are also loads of small clues and items you will most likely not find in your initial playthrough. They might be insignificant, but since you're already invested in the game, why not read them and get the whole backdrop.

This is running on the Killzone Shadowfall engine with occasional frame-rate dips. That means the graphics are nice enough, but the faces and grimaces can get downright creepy at times.The voice acting and sound are superb though. Best played with headphones in a dark room. The game is also short, around 5-6 hours, perhaps a bit more on your first playthrough.

I can totally see why some people might not even consider it. It's short, it has QTE-s, very little combat and is heavily story-driven. If you like horror, fixed camera angles, decent jump scares and witty humour then maybe you should give it a try. I did and enjoyed it. An 8/10 from me.
  9. Aug 28, 2015
    So guys, I am WRITING this review AFTER FINISHING THE GAME, must say it is beautiful. The beginning of the game is just amazing, leaves you confused as hell, trying to find the answer on what the hell is going on, exactly what any horror game needs to do, create curiosity.

Character introduction is very good as well, by that they are trying to hook you up and make you feel emotionally attached to the protagonists, and I must say that losing Sam for me would have been a rap, I was really trying to save her and as the story goes you feel like that towards all the characters, even **** ones - you are still gonna feel like you must save them because they are your friends. Moreover, true personalities will be revealed as well which will change your attitude to these people because everyone will be under severe pressure making life mattering choices, and as the story went on I had no regrets having Sam as my favorite one!

Do the choices matter? Hell yeah they do, minor things can mess the whole story up, even though some events(very few) are going to happen anyways(does not relate to the ending, the lives of the friends are entirely in your hands! Even being too slow while crossing a river may mess the situation up!

As the story reaches its middle things get a bit less tense(may be different for you, everyone reacts differently), but emotional connection to protagonists keeps you feel stressed and involved cause after hours you played trying to keep them alive you don't want to make a mistake which will waste your efforts. There are many hints in the game which may help you to make right choices(danger, fortune totems) and I want to tell you straight away - if you pick up death totem that does not mean the character is going to die anyway, it is just a possibility, everything is in your hands!

This is an amazing game, goes to one of my favorites, don't understand people who are very critical about it, if you question price tag just think about how much work has been done of finishing paths for all different choices and the beautiful graphics this game has. You feel sorry that this game is only for PS4? There are games for PC or Xbox or Wii U only as well, don't be hating.

So why I give it an 8? In my eyes, ending made it look so so. I was expecting much more emotions in the end, something that will make you very happy after all the difficulties you have overcome. Friends hugging, loving couples(of which there are 2 in this game) rejoining, kissing each other, that kind of stuff. However, game ends less emotionally, just going to the titles with video interview of survivals, I think it is a bit wack for such tense and emotional game, should have done it better.

Nevertheless, great game, seeing some people giving 0 to this game is just nonsense, this title has definitely achieved great success in making choice based horror game. RECOMMEND IT!
  10. Aug 26, 2015
    I must admit, I was hoping this game would be great and do well. I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. Yes it is very cliche in many instances but let's be honest, we already knew that about the game. Where i was most surprised was how good the story was. The way you learn about and essentially build the characters based on your actions was very well done. This game has many jump scares,I must admit, I was hoping this game would be great and do well. I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. Yes it is very cliche in many instances but let's be honest, we already knew that about the game. Where i was most surprised was how good the story was. The way you learn about and essentially build the characters based on your actions was very well done. This game has many jump scares, funny dialogue, and just downright predictable moments. Having said that, the music score, environments, and overall atmosphere the story creates is wonderful. Visually, this game gorgeous and truly adds to the overall experience. Perhaps a really cool feature about this game is how they implemented the Dual-Shock controller for certain things. If you enjoy horror movies, B-horror, comedy, suspense, drama, and some twists in a good story, give this game a tray. I truly think it is very enjoyable and fun all the while scaring you at random times. Very well done and possibly the best sleeper hit in the past 6 months. Expand
  11. Aug 29, 2015
    Some people say that this game is more like a movie than a game and they are not completely wrong. Despite this, I urge everyone to try the game out and I'm willing to bet that if you like (or rather don't dislike) the concept you will enjoy this game, provided you're into horror games of course. It feels like a movie, in which you make the decisions. It's nice to have an experience likeSome people say that this game is more like a movie than a game and they are not completely wrong. Despite this, I urge everyone to try the game out and I'm willing to bet that if you like (or rather don't dislike) the concept you will enjoy this game, provided you're into horror games of course. It feels like a movie, in which you make the decisions. It's nice to have an experience like this once in a while.

I played the game through with my friends during the weekend and the game wasn't that scary, to me at least. My friends said that it was somewhat scary, but not on the same level as Outlast, for example. Though we didn't use headphones or a surround home theater and obviously we had each others' company and support. Jump scares are something the game has a lot of though, especially in the beginning. I'd say there's even too much of them, although the game is supposed to pay homage to the old horror films with the cliches included. That is something you have to keep in mind while playing the game.

Unfortunately the game has some pacing issues. Sometimes you walk around for a good while before anything happens. The occasionally awkward camera angles don't really help either. However this doesn't detract from the immersion and tension too much. The game makes up for its issues with great characters with marvelous voice acting, a tense atmosphere and an intriguing, if a bit predictable, plot. Also, don't let the QTE's scare you away. They are well done and keep you on the edge of your seat. The graphics are also good, but could be better on some parts. Animations can be a bit jerky and over-done at times, but all in all they are good.

If you are wondering whether your choices really have an effect in the game, let me assure you: they do. Tough choices and the intriguing plot really makes you want to keep on playing. I really enjoyed my time with the game and, despite its flaws, it is a must-play for horror fans. Also, Hayden Panettiere. 'Nuff said.
  12. Aug 26, 2015
    When I first heard about Until Dawn, I was a bit worried. Here we have a game that was supposed to come out on the Playstation 3, and yet it is just now coming out as Playstation 4 exclusive. This is almost never a good sign, as games made under these conditions generally tend to have outdated graphics and sub-par gameplay. It leaves one wondering why and how the game got stuck inWhen I first heard about Until Dawn, I was a bit worried. Here we have a game that was supposed to come out on the Playstation 3, and yet it is just now coming out as Playstation 4 exclusive. This is almost never a good sign, as games made under these conditions generally tend to have outdated graphics and sub-par gameplay. It leaves one wondering why and how the game got stuck in development hell. Topping it all off, Until Dawn is another "movie game", like The Order 1866; 1866 was met with a lot of mixed reviews, most less than flattering. All that being said, I am a big fan of horror, and so I decided to preorder it anyway. I went to GameStop in the morning to pick up my copy. "You look like you're here to pick up Madden" the GameStop employee said as I walked up to the counter...; the horror had already begun. Sports games!? My worst nightmare! As soon as I got my copy of Until Dawn I fled GameStop, then rushed home to give it a try. I delved into Until Dawn with an open mind, despite all of my worries. Right off the bat my worries began to fade. This doesn't look like a Playstation 3 game at all! The graphics are phenomenal; some of the best I've seen. The characters are very well rendered with superb acting behind them, and the storyline was immediately engaging. I braced myself for a long day of gaming. Oh boy here we go...

This review will have no spoilers, with the exception for some very minor things from the first 15 minutes of the story. Until Dawn has it's tongue in it's cheek from start to finish. The game is intentionally silly, with dumb characters who want to explore strange noises alone. It includes cliches from teen horror movies ranging from the 80s to present day.

The story starts off with a group of 10 friends who are going to a remote cabin retreat. A prank is played on one of them, and she becomes upset. In her bout of anger, she runs out of the cabin in disgust, with her sister trailing her. The duo never return, and their bodies are never found despite a search of the area. Fast forward to one year later. The eight remaining friends return to the cabin on the one year anniversary of their friends death. Upon arriving at the cabin, there is one thing on their minds - to put the past behind them, seek forgiveness, and have a good time. Too bad for them there is some maniac stalking them, wanting to kill them all. Who is this person? Is this the same person responsible for their missing friends one year ago? How many leave the cabin alive is up to you; you end up choosing how many of them survive; all, none or any variant therein. This ability within the game leads to many possibilities for the player, allowing each player can make the gameplay their own. I thought that was pretty neat, as well as effectively encouraging multiple play-throughs.

Until Dawn is a "movie game". There is minimal gameplay; mostly quick time events and making difficult choices that affect the outcome of the game. You also get to explore some atmospheric areas and there are some elements of combat as well. Despite the minimal gameplay it's still a lot of fun and a roller coaster ride from start to finish. It's always intense, scary as all hell, and out to get you. Until Dawn is well paced, and by well paced I mean you'll be **** your pants every 10 seconds. The sound design and music are nothing short of top notch. The music will make you clench your butt cheeks. Every creepy sound will increase your heart rate and anxiety level. For the full audio experience, headphones are an absolute must when playing Until Dawn. The graphics, as I said before, are incredible from both a technical and artistic standpoint. The cabin is creepy and the snow drenched mountain wherein it lies is beautiful. You will, of course, explore a lot of other areas; but that would be spoiling it for you. Speaking of spoilers, there are a lot of good twists and turns within the game. Most of them are very smart, despite the aforementioned overall silliness of the game.

I stayed up until dawn playing Until Dawn. I simply couldn't bring myself to stop until it was over and the credits rolled. When it was all over, which took around 7 hours, I was left wanting more. I never expected Until Dawn to be anywhere near as good as it is. It really shouldn't be this good; it's just another "movie game" like The Order: 1866. But it is obvious that the developers had a clear image in their mind of what they wanted the game to be, and they brought that vision to life. Their success even makes games like Heavy Rain seem somehow lacking in comparison. A lot of people will talk badly about all of these "movie games" but if they're learning from Until Dawn then bring 'em on. So was Until Dawn a Playstation 3 port as I first expected? Nope. Not even close. Until Dawn is a complete next gen experience from start to finish that is just as fun to watch as it is to play.
  13. Aug 30, 2015
    A fantastic horror game, where you get to determine the outcome of your own movie. The characters are likeable once you get to play them (except Emily, who will die on my next playthrough.....). The story, environments and plot twists are tributes to the slasher film genre...and more. The jump scares are expertly intermingled with tension, gore, and flat out dread. You are NOT readyA fantastic horror game, where you get to determine the outcome of your own movie. The characters are likeable once you get to play them (except Emily, who will die on my next playthrough.....). The story, environments and plot twists are tributes to the slasher film genre...and more. The jump scares are expertly intermingled with tension, gore, and flat out dread. You are NOT ready for how dark this game will get....but like a good horror flick, it breaks the tension with moments of humor and levity (Cabin in the Woods, anyone).

There is a huge amount of replay value as the outcome is absolutely impacted by:
    Your ability to react to the QTEs
    The decisions you make in navigating your character(s)
    The dialogue choices you make....antagonize someone too much and they will get in the way of your survival
    How much you explore....many of the clues and totems you find are NOT obvious and you have to take the time to poke around
    Whether you remember the premonitions offered by the totems
    I got five people out alive -- you better believe I am going to come back in a few days to try for seven (forget you, Emily)
    People knocking this game about how your decisions dont impact the outcome are so off target it isnt funny. The only issue I have is I am used to an inverted Y axis and you do not have that control option. Otherwise I would give this a 10. It is that good. Of course, I am a horror game fanatic. On the PS4 I have Outlast, the Whistleblower expansion, Alien Isolation, Evil Within and White Night (the weakest of the bunch). I will grab SOMA when its out. Pls, if you are a horror genre fan do not let this one pass you by or wait until a price drop. It is worth the $$ and developers like this need to be supported.
  14. Aug 28, 2015
    Chilling, well acted and with a lot of jump scares. It's just like watching a scary '80s-'90s horror movie (very much an homage to classics such as Scream, Ravenous, Saw, or modern movies like The Cabin In The Woods), but you control the action, and this "movie" is over 8 hours long.

The first few minutes really gets you emotionally involved in the plot, and while the reunion is a bit (a lot) forced, it works in terms of the scary movie genre that the game is paying homage to. The tension starts right away, and it does not let up for a moment. Even in quiet moments you're worried about what might be around the next corner. The game really gets the atmosphere right. Also, you care for each character, and while it's true that some of them are not wholly likable (in horror movie tradition, some are immature and they can be unkind, self-centered or unthinking), you really feel as if you want to get them all through the horror that is about to overtake them.

The game controls are intuitive and effective, movement is smooth and unlike a few other games that have appeared recently, the characters move effortlessly from one place to another, without getting annoyingly caught up on furniture or architecture.

The clues and collectibles in the game are very effective, and the in-game menus work well to help the player assess how well or poorly the game is going. During the action sequences, the player needs to make split-second decisions and controller inputs, and in my opinion (speaking as an older but experienced gamer) these are perfectly balanced to appeal to players of most abilities.

The graphics are amazing, from the facial textures to the snowfall, lighting and shadows, this game really uses this latest generation of consoles to bring out detail and atmosphere. Music is very atmospheric and extremely well integrated well into the action.

Replay value is wholly focused on survival, not on a branching plot. This is not a bad thing: while the overarching plot remains fixed, the fate of each character is very much decided by your actions and choices: any character or all of them can die. Conversely, any or all can be saved, but saving everyone is very hard: I only saved two of the eight characters the first time around (Sam and Emily). I'm looking forward to restarting in the hope that I can somehow get at least a few more people through "until dawn".

The most innovative aspect of the game is what the developers call "The Butterfly Effect": a build-up of small, seemingly insignificant changes that may have devastating consequences down the line. This feature shows itself even in the first play through, as an in-game menu screen tells you which decisions you've made and gives subtle hints as to how you're doing. It's not just the illusion of choice - if you mess up too often, people's allegiances change and their options may narrow, making it harder for them to survive. Sometimes, a small mistake will be recoverable, but the mistakes do mount up, and sometimes the choices made leave no way out. At the game's end the sun rises, but who will be there to see it is up to you.

My only criticisms so far (all are very minor):
    1: The camera sometimes doesn't feel as if it's showing enough of the scenes, and it can make movement tricky in darker areas, but then again, that may be a conscious decision because of the need for a survival horror game to be claustrophobic.
    2: The scenes with the psychiatrist take the player out of the action to some extent, but on the other hand, they do offer the player a break in what might otherwise be a very tense game, at least until later on, when even these scenes acquire some tension.
    3: There is some very minor image freezing that lasts a split second, usually when performing an action (I think I noticed three examples throughout the whole game).
    4: The voices are occasionally slightly out of sync with the characters' mouth movements (again, I noticed this maybe three times).
    5: The characters' heads seem kinda wobbly at some points (whenever it's a close-up and two or more characters are close to each other and talking). It's very subtle, but it is noticeable.
    6. There is no way to adjust the screen size in the game - on my TV it's still playable, but some items on the screen edges are clipped.
    7. I would have liked a little more humor to break the tension at some points - it's a very tense game (I think I mentioned that).
    8. The pre-order DLC is just a small inconsequential scene tacked on to the end of chapter 2. It's almost like a deleted scene in a movie and it kinda messes with the pacing. I was kind of expecting a little more.

Altogether, I had a blast with this game, and I think a lot of other players will too, even if this type of game is not their usual fare. For me, this is not just one of the best survival horror games I've ever played, but if it were a movie, I'd say it would be the best horror movie since The Cabin in the Woods. Yeah, it's that good. I will be very surprised if this game doesn't gather a few of the most prestigious Game of the Year awards.
  15. Aug 29, 2015
    It's not a masterpiece, but it's certainly way above average. I can only see three reasons for someone giving it less than 7: watched a video and didn't like it/Sony hater, dislikes horror experiences, extreme loathe to QTEs. Now back to the review: this game is seriously intense, the QTEs are not annoying and certainly help the game a lot. It's intense, the decisions are even moreIt's not a masterpiece, but it's certainly way above average. I can only see three reasons for someone giving it less than 7: watched a video and didn't like it/Sony hater, dislikes horror experiences, extreme loathe to QTEs. Now back to the review: this game is seriously intense, the QTEs are not annoying and certainly help the game a lot. It's intense, the decisions are even more intriguing, the characters begin as poorly written characters that are obviously a tribute to all typical horror movies, but they all grow so much on you, that it gets to the point where you're afraid to go forward because you don't want them to die. The psychologist's segments were also very intriguing, as he would apparently break the fourth wall to evaluate your choices and progress. This game certainly is way above average, while it is no GOTY, it certainly deserves the praise and love it's been getting Expand
  16. Aug 29, 2015
    I wish more games like this were made these days, a game that feels like a movie, I just finished it earlier today and I thought the story cohesion was perfect for this type of game, atmosphere and genre, this is supposed to be a cheesy 90's style horror film so the characters need to do cliche things and make poor decisions or it wouldn't fit the genre.

For me the game got even better

For me the game got even better in the second half, it went away from those earlier cheap jump scares once the real threat was revealed and took on a different tone, the last few chapters felt like an episode of Supernatural, early Supernatural's monster of the week stories, I loved that.

Going back to the second half of the game, the first and 2nd half of the game do feel like different games but I feel that's something that should be in the plus column and not a negative, the first half was a great misdirect, something that's lacking in games and movies of this genre these days.

I know it's all subjective and everybody has their own opinion but I just thought I'd share mine, This game is getting mostly positive reviews but I still feel even in those reviews it's being undersold, for me it's a 9.5 but for this scale based on my enjoyment i'll give it a 10 on this scale since you can't (.5) anything.
  17. Aug 30, 2015
    The surprise hit of 2015 Until dawn has arrived and I was left gasping for more after my first sitting.
    The story follows a small group of (some more stereotypical then others ) teens attending a reunion on the mountain two friends mysteriously disappeared from the following year.
    The game has stunning visuals among the best ever seen in a video game and I was surprised of exactly how much variety the game has in exploration of some very beautiful areas you end up visiting based on your choices and decisions up to the point of seeing them.
    There are multiple routes and options for you to choose from and depending on your decisions entire cutscenes can change from big to small, I would like to point out I have steered clear of these point and click type games I never played the Walking deads or the Heavy rains so I went in unsure what to expect and cannot comment on how it compares to those games but my drive to save certain charcters after making mistakes and a furious sitting which I forced myself to stop at near 2:00am not because the game was finished but because I needed to get some sleep only to lay wondering if I did certain things different how it woul play out and if I could save characters clearly shouted to me this game was something special.
    In terms of the gameplay you may of been put off by E3 Footage in thinking it has very little to offer other then QTEs and talking but I can safely say you would be wrong the gameplay does a phenomenal job of immersing you into the feeling of doom as in it can put you in a situation where you have but a few seconds to make a call or you are dead unlike other games that character is gone for good which really adds to the horror aspect another cool feature it has is having to hold the Dual shock still in order to hide or remain calm the crazy thing about this is the controller will vibrate like crazy causing you to grip and inhale until the scene is played out it really is vital I found when I didn't hold my breath I would be caught and killed I find this really does create so much more tension and give the game a powerful punch.
    The games also has a pretty damn good story with some interesting plot twists you didn't see coming but if you came across some of the clues in the game just as the protagonist pieces the clues together you find yourself shocked at how well everything had fitted together up till the very end and trust me at the very end you will be left feeling stunned at how you missed the signs and clues.
    The voice acting is also great off course you have Hayden the big hollywood star but other voice actors are also top notch some more so then others but regardless some very solid work from the team you will be surprised how much you end up liking a few of the characters and hating others which on first look you may of looked at as just another generic Horror stereotype stats can increase or decrease depending on decisions the once caring character may by the end become a heartless selfish scumbag or the character you thought as annoying and spiteful may become a heroic likeable member of the team it is all up to you.
    The game is VERY polished I have played many games at launch throughout my life ever since the 7th gen game quality has usual been noticeably bad at launch compared to a week to a month later but this game I came across just the one glitch throughout my two playthroughs and the glitch was only a character going through a piece of wood during a cutscene,The game runs steady with no noticeable framerate drops and there wasn't anything that looked out of place in comparison to other pieces in the environment the textures looked amazing throughout the character animations and deaths looked very realistic and the attention to detail was rock solid.
    At the time of this release we have MGS5,Fifa and Madmax all coming in a matter of days but I am advising you if you cannot afford to spend on multiple titles pick up Until Dawn first I have played countless games this year that failed to keep my attention I do believe Quality is sometimes better then quantity and Until Dawns Quality is above the majority's all though the games story is roughly 9-10 hours you WILL be replaying this game you will want to see characters you saw die survive and characters you saw survive die yes you could look it up on youtube but you owe it to yourself to attempt to do so yourself and to see exactly how much impact small decisions you made the first time around shape the story on the second play through.
  18. Aug 25, 2015
    One of the best Games on ps4.
    PROS:
    Simply amazing. The graphics are phenomenal and the gore and horror is brilliant. The actual game is not about what you think. Also the butterfly effect is fantastic.
    CONS: Dr Hill I just don't understand his role?
  19. Aug 27, 2015
    You get exactly what you thought, and more!

You want a fun and scary horror experience with (seemingly) cheesy horror movie characters and storytelling, a lot of blood, gore, atmosphere and jump scares? You got it! But Until Dawn offers you much more on the way: Sure you can enjoy the game on the surface, make quick decisions, see bloody deaths and have a good laugh now and then
    You get exactly what you thought, and more!

But Until Dawn offers you much more on the way:
    Sure you can enjoy the game on the surface, make quick decisions, see bloody deaths and have a good laugh now and then with the dialogue (actually funny stuff)! That's all good.

But you can also dig into the story, help develop characters and for once really influence the game with what you decide.
    On a certain level the game plays like Heavy Rain, with it's decisions, quick button pushing but the thing is: in Until Dawn there are lots of paths, lots of choices that really change the course of the story and not only by presenting a different part of the story but actually by changing the characters, their relations with each other or the environment and your choices may even kill the characters you came to like (which can actually happen quite often if you make bad decisions).

This is much more than just a horror game, this is the ultimate horror movie experience, in which you decide if people do stupid stuff and die, or you can bond with your characters, try to let them survive, develop their personality, their relations with each other and much more.

Check this one out because you won't regret it!
  20. Aug 31, 2015
    Until Dawn is one of those games that you have to see/play firsthand to really understand the hype (or maybe even lack thereof in this case). As a lover of horror movies, when I found out I could play through one, I was setting aside the cash months in advance to be sure I was ready for this gem when it came out.

I wasn't disappointed. Until Dawn puts you in control of 8 friends who

I wasn't disappointed.

Until Dawn puts you in control of 8 friends who reunite at a mountain retreat a year after a horrible event. These character range from the typical "geek", the prom queen/king archetype characters, the jock and the rationale girl who, in a typical horror movie, you would deem as the "final girl". The great thing about this game is that anyone can be the "final girl/guy" and any of them can die.

And because this game is filled with characters that you will undoubtedly grow to like and some you will despise (yes, I had one in particular), it may be in your best interest to put your personal feelings aside because this game may tempt you to let some meet their fates, but in doing so can seriously impact the progression of the story.

This game uses a Butterfly Effect system. Much like the horrible Ashton Kutcher movie, this means that choices you make as one character during one scene can impact that character later on either positively or negatively. But it can also have an impact on other characters in scenes later in the game. This, of course, makes the replay value that much higher. It will make you want to go back and play through again and make different choices to see the various outcomes. Beware though. This game constantly saves (almost like it's recording it as it you play). This means if something goes wrong, there is no reloading the last checkpoint in an attempt to do-over. If your favorite character meets their grisly fate, oh well. Better latch on to a new character and do your best to keep them alive.

The story is pretty cliché in its execution. A bunch of crazy kids go to a mountain retreat to have what could be their last hoorah after a tragic event from the previous year left them all somber. Horror ensues, people die, love can blossom and stupid dialogue is spoken. The acting is decent, considering some of these people are relatively unknown, and some even outshine the more well-known actors (yes, Hayden Panettiere, you needed to do better in some scenes). The maniac stalking you wears a creepy mask and, of course, the game provides decent jump scares.

As far as the actual action of the game, much of it involves walking and exploring the really graphically beautiful areas looking for clues as to who the madman is as well as why the events of the previous year took place. When real action takes place, it's mostly cinematic with you having to perform quick time events to keep the scene moving along. Beware, these buttons pop up in various areas of the screen and can be hard to see sometimes. A mess up doesn't always mean game over, luckily. But too many stumbles by character A, could lead to them not being able to rescue character B in time, just for an example. But if that happens, again, the game keeps moving. Shed a tear or even a smirk at that character's death and keep on trucking.

The PS4 was a great console for this to be released on. The graphics are stunning. Using facial capture, the characters look just like their actor counterparts and the details are insane. Pause the game when playing a character and see what I mean. You can use the R analog stick to move their faces to get a good look at the details.

Until Dawn is not a game everyone will enjoy. As a player, you take a backseat to most of the action which for some isn't what they look for in a game. But if you enjoy a good narrative and like to have a bit more control over said narrative, then this game is worth a try. Those people who enjoyed Heavy Rain a few years back and even Indigo Prophecy from a decade ago (I enjoyed both) will definitely love this game. And the horror factor, especially during the first play-through, will keep this game interesting. Since many won't be able to save every character during the first play-through, it can be a game that can be on constant rotation for months!
  21. Aug 25, 2015
    This is a great game for people who enjoy good atmosphere and story narrative. The decisions you make with character interaction will change the outcome and the kiddy gloves (or the ability to save/restart choice that removed my favorite toon) which many games offer is not available here in order to force the story progression forward and have you contend with the decisions made. UntilThis is a great game for people who enjoy good atmosphere and story narrative. The decisions you make with character interaction will change the outcome and the kiddy gloves (or the ability to save/restart choice that removed my favorite toon) which many games offer is not available here in order to force the story progression forward and have you contend with the decisions made. Until Dawn really takes advantage of the Dual Shock 4 motion sensor to immerse you (the player) even further into the story which caught me off guard the first few times because of how often I forget these controllers are functional Play Station Move devices. Having grown up when the choose your own adventures series of books ran rampant and still do I suppose... I am always happy to play a multimedia version of said assembly. I am enjoying this game as much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain or Beyond Two Souls on the PS3 though the facial expressions miss their mark at times (LA Noire had amazing facial reads). I look forward to playing it through many multiple endings and I hope the Developer Supermassive Games (Start the Party PS3 Move - My Daughter and I lost many hours to this game) continues to bring the gaming immersion. Maybe release another Start the Party for PS4 :) Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2015
    Throughout the game, players will make difficult decisions during ethical or moral dilemmas, such as sacrificing one character to save another The Butterfly Effect system blurs the line between right and wrong decisions and it is possible for players to keep all eight characters alive as well as having all eight of them die>>>>
  23. Aug 25, 2015
    Excellent horror game, that uses it's source material (B movie horror films) very well. If you enjoy Interactive Movie Games like Heavy Rain and love Horror Movies then this game should be right up your street. Think Cabin in the Woods but as a video game.

The game gives you choices at certain points that will create a butterfly effect, that change the story and who lives or dies and all 8 characters can be killed or survive by the end of the game, so it offers good replay value, as you can play again to try and save someone that may have died last time.

This definitely turned out much better than most people expected.

A solid 8/10
  24. Aug 26, 2015
    I a 31 yr old Horror nut, and Until Dawn was a love letter to Horror fans, in all its campy glory. Stunning visuals, top notch voice acting, and great story. I picked it up after work and sat there from 7pm-430am playing it non stop. I just couldn't put it down! This game was made for me. I have started my second play through and I can see how the choices you make effect the game.I a 31 yr old Horror nut, and Until Dawn was a love letter to Horror fans, in all its campy glory. Stunning visuals, top notch voice acting, and great story. I picked it up after work and sat there from 7pm-430am playing it non stop. I just couldn't put it down! This game was made for me. I have started my second play through and I can see how the choices you make effect the game. Bravo Supermassive games. I really hope there is some DLC in the future. Expand
  25. Aug 25, 2015
    Glad to see this game has done well and people love it. Maybe the sales will be good enough to spawn a sequel or more games like this. I loved heavy rain and beyond two souls and I knew what I was getting into when I got this game unlike some ppl who just pick it up without any knowledge. The game itself is fantastic and I haven't beat it yet but the story, characters, and graphics are topGlad to see this game has done well and people love it. Maybe the sales will be good enough to spawn a sequel or more games like this. I loved heavy rain and beyond two souls and I knew what I was getting into when I got this game unlike some ppl who just pick it up without any knowledge. The game itself is fantastic and I haven't beat it yet but the story, characters, and graphics are top tier. Even though this game pays homage to 90s horror I took it way more seriously and unlike most horror movies, actually cared for the characters. The choices in this, much like telltale's series of games, actually matter here. You choose who will live and die it's entirely up to the player. You are director in this horror movie and can change the plot on a whim. Some choices won't show up till later but when **** hits the fan it hits HARD. I think all horror fans who grew up loving cheesy 90s cliche horror will LOVE this game and it deserves it. We need more games like these out there and supermassive with their impressive beautiful talent at creating tension, dread, death and beauty in this world of consequence, need to seriously make horror games in the future. The only downside I had was the length, it seemed short to me but is replay able since you won't understand the full story being told on the first play through. Supermassive have a sleeper hit on their hands and now that the game is out it's time to revel in this magnificent horror experience 9.5/10 Expand
  26. Aug 25, 2015
    My wife and I simply couldn't stop playing and while we were away from the game, our thoughts circled around the things we experienced and what we might change the next playthrough. If a game manages to do that, it certainly is a very good game, don't you think?
  27. Aug 25, 2015
    Awesome game! 10/10 without a doubt.
    Great graphics, very atmospheric, and full of tension and jumps. Found it hard to put down controller, was so engrossed i even forgot to blink! Very clever storyline, Will definitely be playing it a few times with different choices to see outcomes. Forget horror movies, you finally get to make those choices you’re always shouting at the tv to do!
  28. Aug 26, 2015
    Pros: - Borderline photo realistic graphics (seriously)
    - Excellent voice acting/motion capture
    - Great writing (there is more to this than it seems) - Choices are plentiful, and meaningful; a plethora of outcomes - Replayability (ties into the above point) - Bonus features (think special features you'd find on a Blu-ray movie) Cons: - Some people may find it a bit short (my first
    Pros: - Borderline photo realistic graphics (seriously)
    - Excellent voice acting/motion capture
    - Great writing (there is more to this than it seems)
    - Choices are plentiful, and meaningful; a plethora of outcomes
    - Replayability (ties into the above point)
    - Bonus features (think special features you'd find on a Blu-ray movie)

Cons: - Some people may find it a bit short (my first playthrough took me around 7 hours)

29. Aug 25, 2015
    Immediately evident that give a bad score for the PC fans who have not played the game and did not play. Only proves how much they are pathetic and flawed. A great game in its genre, is very pleasant. Graphic elegant, just great music well, and the story is very intriguing, especially the variability of choice.
  30. Aug 25, 2015
    Really fun game and totally different to all the open world/ shooters that currently flood the gaming scene. This is the first game my girlfriend has ever sat down and played more than 10mins (she was playing for 2 hours yesterday and wants to continue today!)

Highly recommended!!!!
  31. Aug 25, 2015
    If you like Heavy Rain you will love Until Down!The most unique game I have ever played.Hate it or love it genius ,no other option.1010 Ha tetszett a Heavy Rain akkor az Until Down-ért rajongani fogsz.Igazi gyöngyszem.Lehet gyülölni vagyIf you like Heavy Rain you will love Until Down!The most unique game I have ever played.Hate it or love it genius ,no other option.1010 Ha tetszett a Heavy Rain akkor az Until Down-ért rajongani fogsz.Igazi gyöngyszem.Lehet gyülölni vagy szeretni,egy dolog biztos,mestermû a maga kategóriájában.Remélem több ilyen jön még a Supermassive Games-tõl.1010 Expand
  32. Aug 25, 2015
    Amazing luxurious game, personally a 10/10, and it deserves over 90 @metacritic score. Now I am gonna start another playthrough! I have never been excited about a game like this, at least not in the past 10 years...
  33. Aug 25, 2015
    I 'm really happy.
    i don't remember having played such a game since the last 10 years .
    Glad to see that many fanboys gave 0/10
    even if a game can't be liked by every body no games in the world deserve 0/10XD
    thank you fanboys for coming here. Xbox ? Pc ?
  34. Aug 25, 2015
    READ THIS: There are loads of 0/10 ratings and there is no way that this game deserves that, actually they are all PC/Xbox fanboys trying to bring this awesome game down. Dont be tricked by them, without them with only real ratings we would be 9.5/10 or something. For a score personally? I just say this is the best game in 10 years...
  35. Aug 25, 2015
    you like David Cage/telltales games? you like old cheesy horror movies? and very well written stories? this is game is for you. AMAZING and unexpected consequences just Amazing
  36. Aug 25, 2015
    its perfect game with really cinematic horror with a lot of ends . I like it because the ideas that game include and has difficult decisions and it is possible for players to keep all eight characters alive as well as having all eight of them die
  37. Aug 25, 2015
    Have you ever been watching a movie that was so exciting that you wish it was several hours long? Well here ya go. Have you ever watched a cheesy horror movie and yelled at the tv when the stupid teenagers want to go explore the noise that they heard? Do you think that you would have done things differently if you were in their shoes? Well... go for it.
  38. Aug 25, 2015
    The gameplay is focused on exploration, quick-time events and discovering clues as well as making countless decisions. There is an in-game system that will keep track of all of the clues and secrets players have discovered in total,
  39. Aug 25, 2015
    If you like the B-film genre then you are probobly going to love this game. Stunning graphics, fun story and cool butterfly effect system. Maybe a bit uncanny valley at times and some framerate drops. Worth the play time and alot of replay value!
  40. Aug 25, 2015
    Just finished it, AMAZING GAME. Had such a blast with my friends playing through it... like I have never had before with a video game. Thank you, supermassive games. Until Dawn deserves at least a 90 metacritic score.
  41. Aug 25, 2015
    Until dawn is a good game and a good exclusive for Ps4. This is a fantastic horror game and a fantastic experience. Your choise is crucial , you decide who live and who dead.
  42. Aug 25, 2015
    The best interactive film after Heavy Rain. Awesome characters, story and for sure screamers. The gamma of the game is just awesome, darkblue colors is very cold and atmospheric. Must have for all, who have Ps4.
  43. Aug 30, 2015
    Until Dawn has some generalized charm through its overuse of horror films tropes, but because of this aspect it is also extremely predictable which came as a surprise considering the heavy marketing of being "choice" based.

It is amusing to see it receive such praise for being a fantastic game, when you see that games such as Beyond Two Souls, and The Order 1886 were given such harsh reviews for doing almost identical things. Until Dawn is a walking simulator through and through with some quick-time events thrown into the mix so that it can claim to be a game rather than the film that it is.

At least it looks good.
  44. Aug 26, 2015
    Let me preface this by saying I enjoyed Beyond Two Souls, so I have no issues with these types of games.

Pros: Character graphics on cut-scenes. Cons: MOST annoying, reality tv-styled, idiotic, un-engaging characters I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing; therefore, zero care what happens to them. It's as boring as watching paint dry - the "story" is virtually non-existent.

Pros: Character graphics on cut-scenes.

It's as boring as watching paint dry - the "story" is virtually non-existent.

The "scares" got me TWICE - the rest were so lame you could see them coming from a mile away.

Numbing - again, so poorly written it makes you numb to "play" it.

Overall, I can see how this would appeal to the 15-18 year old demographic... but that's about it.

LAME...
  45. Sep 6, 2015
    Je ne peux pas appeler "Until Dawn" un jeu, mais plus un film interactif.
    Je ne peux pas appeler "Until Dawn" un jeu, mais plus un film interactif.
    Mais pourquoi un 7/10 ? La durée de vie est très courte si on veut rusher le "film" et rajouter peut-être une ou deux heures pour trouver tous les indices et les totems. Il est également très mal optimiser pour la "PS4", des chutes de framrate qui peuvent descendre parfois à 20 FPS. Le "film" ne fait pas très peur, on peut prévoir ce qui va se passer dans certaine scène. Des voix VF qui sont moyens, la VO est bien mieux. Et beaucoup d'éléments scriptés.
    Je viens de dire que des points négatifs, et maintenant les points forts du jeu ! Nous ne pouvons pas nier que les graphismes sont très bien même excellent comme l'ambiance.. Grâce aux choix qu'on a fait, les fins sont à chaque fois alternatif comme dans "Heavy Rain" et "Beyond: Two Souls" et un scénario qui est bien pensée.
  46. Sep 17, 2015
    This was my first time playing a tell tale game, or what ever you call this type of game. I liked the idea of ripping off all the stereotypes of teen slasher horror movies, giving control to the player of each character's choices.

As far as horror goes though, it's not scary at all. After first two chapters I knew there was nothing to be scared of in this game other than trying to predict the countless jump scares there are. And there are a lot, but ya that's it for horrow, no sense of dread at all. By chapter 4 I was just running though each scene w/o a care for what was coming up.

I finally got through the game with 1 survivor. I doubt I will play it again though. The butterfly effect was very well executed during my play through, but at the same time you can pretty much guess what will happen if you play again and make the other choices. Game certainly has replayability, but only for completionist. Not worth the $60, get it used or in the sales.
  47. Oct 1, 2015
    This game is so much fun to play in the dark with a group of friends. Learning about the different decisions you can make is one of the best parts of the game.
  48. Sep 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Contains spoilers

Premise:
    A group of young college students (aged late teens) travel to a cabin one winter which happens to be in the middle of nowhere, no electricity, but plenty of candles and a hot steaming bath filled with cucumber melon salt. The evening does not proceed as expected and ends with the disappearance of two twin sisters. To try to move forward in their grieving, the group decide to get together the following year in the same cabin. Unfortunately for them, this trip will quickly turn into a nightmare. The choices you select will have a weight on the outcome of the scenario.

So I have played it and I must say and I didn't have the highest expectations for it. The marketing is exactly how it turned out but it's not the route I would have taken for the game. I think something more ballsier and I am talking about the short QTEs thrown in, surveying the environment, exploration, character development. All these things that make it what it is: An interactive movie - It is formulaic in a lot of ways, and it still felt like that same T.V slasher-cheese fest formula we are used to.

Let's talk about the good things: multiplayer engagement - playing the game is best played cooperatively imo. Someone assumes the controller and there is hot seat rotation. As you progress, so does shouting unanimously and voting between the choices that appear as a group - creating an atmosphere of participation and engagement that works well with the survival horror themes the developers have geared it towards - rotating around eight playable ensemble characters throughout the game.

Now about the gripes and things: as the characters are introduced in the beginning, I could not help but feel this showcase of friendship seems forced and not genuine and random. I don't buy it. It is as if the dialogue is the same kind of quirky dialogue and the voice of one strong writer buried under others. Character archetypes and narrative writing mashed together to create this friendship circle. Yet somehow, none of the characters really share many compatible social traits borne of real emotion for one another. Seldom there are some really great concepts going on for the characters but they never really develop. It doesn't help that the mo-capped actors' ages range larger than their in-game counterparts, but the script and dialogue for me personally is not there.

Also - WTF - most of the characters have a tendency of scaring each other, verbally abusing one another, screaming. Both rather funny and deeply unnerving; perfectly calm one minute and then melodramatic. There is a good amount of tension but for goodness sake. The quirks are no substitute for actual character traits. These jump-scares combined with cheesy line reading, the game is reminiscent of slasher films: Cabin in the Woods, Saw, Scream, but I mean like we are reacquainted with some of the most obvious recycled tropes going. But it does not really commit to one of these films and is fun mess overall.

There are romances and couplets happening too - the story follows a simple pattern based on this idea might look as follows: the storyline cuts between two characters at a time, most of the time, once the party are split. There's even friendship mechanics in the menu options with metres and emotions..., But for the most part this feature feels unpolished, cosmetic and filler - not really offering much to the gameplay. There is no real emotional core, no real development, nothing to learn from it. What is going on.

The main girl character, Samantha (Hayden Panettiere) and the main guy character, Michael (Brett Dalton) develop interestingly. More so Emily who after giving the best worst manner of first impression I can remember in a long time becomes tolerable later on and centre of some cool QTEs. We all fall on hard-times I suppose.

Seeing as how this is an movie blanketed as an interactive game, what really delineates from one another is the linear interactive progression with slapped-on, adrenaline pulsing QTEs. But the player-controller mechanics themselves are not particularly varied. Sprinkled throughout and repetitive in form.

What's really bizarre is the reveal of "the stranger", aka Flamethrower man. What are you trying to do with this character. In the middle of nowhere we actually have this really cool guy. Something happens to him later on... he's managed to survive this crap. We want to invest time in him (because he's not a college student and has shifted in some power-control). It's kind of embarrassing for him... I feel bad for him... Yeah.

In summary, this game is very weird in a likeable way but not in a way I would recommend it to someone who would play it alone. What I will say it is entirely watchable. The strength lies in the conceptual framework of group-play and bawling at the cheesy tensions it provides through to the very end.
  49. Sep 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One hour into this game, I had the unfavorable impression that this would basically consist in guiding a bunch of idiots through bad decisions. Everyone seemed unlikable and everything so predictable. After finishing, though, I have to give some credit to the writing - though the plot was still far from the most inventive, I enjoyed it, mostly because of one of my favorite legendary monsters.

It does not come as a surprise that the butterfly effect mechanic is hugely overrated - once again, you do not get actual significantly different content in the game, you do not influence the overall story, you just choose who makes it through and who doesn't. One playthrough of the game is enough, is what I want to say, and you can quite fully understand the story even if you don't find all the clues. You can go back to the episodes and try to get your favorite character (not that there were many for me) to make it, but that's about it. You're not making very many moral choices (maybe one or two), most of them are just random and their consequences completely unforeseeable. I'm fine with that, but the opening sequence made me think the game posed as being more than that.

What it comes down to is that you don't do much here as a player, almost half of the action seems to take place in cut scenes, except for the times you do some quick QTE button pushing or you're asked to make a choice or quite boringly wander around under cinematographic camera angles. So if you're feeling like a eight-hour long horror movie, which is sometimes my case, go for it. The plus side is that you can get rid off all the annoying characters who seem to swarm this is sort of genre and I did rise up to the opportunity.
  50. Sep 22, 2015
    The first half of this game was awesome. Loved the whole murder mystery plot and the butterfly affect. But then things started getting supernatural. The whole Wendigo thing really hurt the game for me. They weren't scary and it didn't feel like they belonged in a story like this and that they were just added to lengthen it and give the player a "real" threat, but all that meant was aThe first half of this game was awesome. Loved the whole murder mystery plot and the butterfly affect. But then things started getting supernatural. The whole Wendigo thing really hurt the game for me. They weren't scary and it didn't feel like they belonged in a story like this and that they were just added to lengthen it and give the player a "real" threat, but all that meant was a bunch of QTEs and "don't move " parts. The butterfly affect was a interesting ideal, but it's execution was awful. Most of the choices either result in the same outcome, or affect the story in an insignificant way, and this is especially apparent if you play through the game a second time. It's a shame because this looked like one of the best horror games in years for the first few hours, but by the end, I can't say I was totally satisfied. Still not a bad game by any means, but I really feel like it had potential to be great, and yet, I can't say it's any better more than a slightly above average horror title. Expand
  51. Oct 5, 2015
    Brilliant story line and terrifying atmosphere. Highy recommended to all Heavy Rain/ Fahrenheit and similar games. Best graphics on PS4 alongside The Order: 1886
  52. Oct 11, 2015
    The game is played in the spirit of Telltales' Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, except you don't get to choose dialogue, but more like reactions. The animation and graphics are pure next-gen on the level of PS4's other exclusive, The Order: 1886. But, unlike in that game, in this game you actually are required to interact and use the objects that you pick. Not just look at them thenThe game is played in the spirit of Telltales' Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, except you don't get to choose dialogue, but more like reactions. The animation and graphics are pure next-gen on the level of PS4's other exclusive, The Order: 1886. But, unlike in that game, in this game you actually are required to interact and use the objects that you pick. Not just look at them then put them down. The sound is excellent. It's better to play it with headphones on. The game play works just fine for the type of game it is. However, I didn't like the "don't move" aspect of the game, where you are trying to keep the controller as still as possible and it's pulsating in your hand. Most of my characters died because of this one poor game function. Overall, loved the story. This game is going to be a classic "must play" in time to come. Expand
  53. Oct 30, 2015
    I was very skeptical getting a horror game but I was not disappointed at all. The game uses very old school jumpscares but it delivered. Very clever camera work and slowly building a relationship between you and the characters. I must admit I wanted them all dead in the beginning but as you play you end up wanting to save every single one of them. I was thoroughly entertained and the onlyI was very skeptical getting a horror game but I was not disappointed at all. The game uses very old school jumpscares but it delivered. Very clever camera work and slowly building a relationship between you and the characters. I must admit I wanted them all dead in the beginning but as you play you end up wanting to save every single one of them. I was thoroughly entertained and the only down point I would say is if you were to replay an episode you have to play through to the end again...which is a bit annoying as you could mess up again. Expand
  54. Nov 21, 2015
    Slasher/teenage horror/thriller - You name it. All with fresh look. Graphics is amazing, face motion capture.
    Story quite predicitble but still better than most of today's movies.
    Shame, there's no sense in replay value. As for a one time playthrough Until Dawn it totally awesome.
  55. Dec 22, 2015
    What starts off as as your typical horror game/movie turns into an homage to the teen slasher fics and supernatural horror movies of old. The game is pretty much all about the story and that's why you'll play it. It has a heavy reliance on jump scares at the beginning of the game but that's by design to throw you off towards the end. The game tries to get you thinking along the lines of aWhat starts off as as your typical horror game/movie turns into an homage to the teen slasher fics and supernatural horror movies of old. The game is pretty much all about the story and that's why you'll play it. It has a heavy reliance on jump scares at the beginning of the game but that's by design to throw you off towards the end. The game tries to get you thinking along the lines of a Michael Myers movie then hits you with something different around 1/3 of the way through. The story may be fairly unoriginal but it's well done and you can tell the actors had a good time with it, even if Hayden Panettiere's character kinda doesn't fit in with the rest of the group dynamic very well. She feels like she was shoe horned in to give the game a little star power but it's not too much of a big deal in the long run. The main problem I have with the game is the gameplay portions. While the QTE stuff is over done at this point, it's not the problem that the Resident Evil-esque camera and movement functions are. Sudden camera changes and just bad controls make things fairly difficult just to move around regularly. Fortunately that doesn't translate to the shooting portions and the QTE portions of the game.
    The game is good for what it is but it ended up becoming the PS4 exclusive for the holiday season and it was definitely not made to sell systems. It's a good time killer and horror fans will enjoy the experience. But the staying power really isn't there for me. Completing the story once gets you all you can get out of the experience and, unless you miss some collectibles, there's no reason to play it again. It's worth a rental for sure but I don't think I would recommend buying this for more than 20 bucks, even with the score I've given it.
  56. Jan 15, 2016
    The best ps4 exclusive so far! Next RE game should be like this a Quantic can learn a lot from UD. Also the best horror game I have played, most horrors gain strength from ugly game environment but UD is beautiful with super atmosphere.
  57. Feb 4, 2016
    First PS4 Game I got Platinum on! I could not stop playing it!

First time I played with some friends who are horrible people and let them make the choices. I followed their choices no matter how messed up they were. Got all but Mike and Matt killed. Jumped around using Episode option to collect clues and totems I missed and to see different outcomes of choices. Then the third
    First PS4 Game I got Platinum on! I could not stop playing it!

Then the third time I wrote over the previous game and played through making my own choices so those would be saved.

Amazing how detailed the graphics were. The story line is classic horror film with nods to Friday, Nightmare, Bloody Valentine, Saw, Psycho, and many more! And the them song, O'Death fits it so well and really spoils it if you pay attention to the lyrics.

The twists are good, and really you have two separate horror films in one game. The first half I could totally see as a Hollywood movie(Small budget type ala Paranormal and first couple of Saws)

Seriously, if you want a game that focuses on story telling and love horror movies, this game is for you!
  58. Aug 2, 2016
    Until Dawn is a terrific example of what video games as an experience and art form can do. The concept of the butterfly effect works very well and surprisingly the story is still quite intriguing even though there are multiple branching plot lines. Until Dawn really is an interactive movie, creating an exciting and engaging experience. It has great graphics, good music, good suspense, goodUntil Dawn is a terrific example of what video games as an experience and art form can do. The concept of the butterfly effect works very well and surprisingly the story is still quite intriguing even though there are multiple branching plot lines. Until Dawn really is an interactive movie, creating an exciting and engaging experience. It has great graphics, good music, good suspense, good performances from its cast, and satisfying plot development no matter the choices you make throughout the game. I would recommend this game to anyone looking for an immersive storytelling experience. Expand
  59. Sep 29, 2015
    The list of PS4 exclusives is a growing list of some truly excellent AAA titles. Until Dawn sits perfectly in this growing list.

The story isn't overly original but is well written and pacing is excellent. Didn't take long to play through but thoroughly entertaining. With the choices system in this game effecting the outcome I'm already keen to get stuck in and play it again makes

The story isn't overly original but is well written and pacing is excellent.

Didn't take long to play through but thoroughly entertaining. With the choices system in this game effecting the outcome I'm already keen to get stuck in and play it again makes different choices.
  60. Sep 30, 2015
    After some yelling at the screen, a couple of jump scares and a dozen or so tense hours I made it to the end: 3 survivors. I would have like to have more but I can always go back and try again.

Until Dawn doesn't offer you the most innovative or complex gaming mechanics but it makes up for it with a wonderful cast variety, an intriguing story -of which you mostly control its development- and a creepy atmosphere. I'm still experimenting with it's "butterfly effect" system and what I like about it is how you can go to it at any time to see what effect your actions and decisions have so far in the story. Game looks good and it feels right and definitely has some replay value.
    This genre lacks enough quality games and with UD you have something unique and surprisingly fun. I would recommend this so give it go.
  61. Sep 30, 2015
    I enjoy watching horror movies because they are always fun to watch especially after a hard day’s work and I always wanted a special horror game that combined all the best elements from horror movies. Thankfully, Until Dawn succeeds in doing so.

Eight friends gather together in a remote cabin on top of the mountains. Things start of well with each of the characters trying to have a good time; however, little did they know that they are not alone; something or someone is watching their every move. Panic escalates when the group suspects that they are being hunted so they start helping each other to find out the mystery behind all of this
    Until Dawn is a survival horror game that focuses on quick time events, each of the characters will face different situations throughout the game and you will have to control each of them by taking choices and tough decisions that will affect how the game plays out for each character’s.

The choices and difficult decisions I had to make kept me at the edge of my seat because of how smartly they were done. I had to stop and think for a while on what choice is best.
    From the relationships between the characters to the shocking deaths, everything you do means something. Would you take a short cut and avoid the risk of falling or would you play it safe and follow the footsteps? The choices are endless. I liked how the characters interacted with one another; each one has his or her own personality traits that helped in making them feel unique. My personal favorite was mike, a funny and brave character.

The controls are simple, choosing your actions were straightforward and the sensitivity controls worked perfectly especially by adding tension in climax situations.

Throughout the game, you will collect totem prophecies which foretell a possible future event. How you play will determine whether or not the prophecies come true. Collecting clues is important as this will help in solving the mystery
    The details of the facial expressions are impressive and the overall eerie environments along with the good camera angels successfully give you a sense of loneliness

The main campaign took me around 8 hours to complete but the replay value is high so you will find yourself going back and playing the game many times to try different things.

I enjoyed the progression of the story. After a series of strange events the characters find out that a psychopath is after them and the suspense and tension rises. The psychopath reminded me of Michal Myers and Jason, the way he walked and stalked you was scary.

Until Dawn never felt boring I just wanted to keep on playing and find out what happens next.

Until Dawn is like watching an awesome horror movie, the creepy music and countless number of scares were awesome. The clever story is filled twists and turns and I never expected anything. This game is one of the biggest surprises this year. a truly engaging game and a great homage to horror mvoies.
  62. Sep 30, 2015
    História espetacular, ótimos gráficos, porém a movimentação dos personagens não é boa e o jogo é totalmente linear. Apesar dos problemas é um grande jogo.
  63. Sep 30, 2015
    This game is really good. Im not the biggest fan of 'point and click adventures' but this takes the cake. It feels like you are controlling a horror story. Until Dawn is worth at least one play through if you are a horror junkie. I will probably play this game four to five times just to make sure i get everything I can out of it.
  64. Oct 1, 2015
    Until Dawn may not be the perfect game but I was entertained during the experience along with great graphics and a slightly compelling story. I say slightly because the entire story didn't have my full attention and some characters became overrated or overused. But none the less, Until Dawn was a great game and very enjoyable.
  65. Oct 2, 2015
    Well, that was surprising...
    Well, that was surprising...
    I had literally zero expectation from this, I borrowed it from a friend and finished it within about a week (took approx 8 hours). For the majority of the time it was great fun. Some jump scares aplenty, but they often made me laugh than freak out and turn the console off. The atmosphere is great, the characters are so irritating, you want them all to die, but then...that's kinda the point I suppose. The storyline development is interesting and the butterfly effect system works really well. Immediately after finishing I started another play through to see how my choices changed the outcome. It is a game that definitely needs repeat plays. My only criticism?... it would have been good to have puzzles, akin to Resident Evil. It does often feel like you are wandering around waiting for the next scare, this implementation may have given it more substance.
  66. Oct 10, 2015
    Not so many impactful choices as there seem to be in the beginning. The irritating characters won't help either. The game is beautiful though the uncanny valley is evident throughout. All in all, it a nice game, but a bit overrated. The games from Quantic Dream and Telltale have more meaningful choices and much better scripts.

Having said the above, I enjoyed my first playthrough as

Having said the above, I enjoyed my first playthrough as much as I enjoy a teen horror movie with a not so great 3rd act. But this (movie) genre tends to have a bad third act almost every time. At least now you get to choose which one will die.

tl;dr
    Enjoyable first playthrough, a bit overrated
  67. Oct 13, 2015
    Until Dawn plays like you'd expect from an interactive game that boast 'huge' decisions in it's story. It's stiff, with a bunch of quick time events and mediocre characters. Somehow though, Until Dawn gives just enough camp and an interesting enough plot that actually tailors to your choices to make it worth a playthrough or two. It's also one of the best looking games on the Playstation 4.
  68. Oct 19, 2015
    Until Dawn puts you into the role of a classic, cliché, and predictable Friday the 13th like story. 8 teens, alone in a lodge, must face the horrors of an alleged killer, monsters, and even ghosts. All the typical horror movie types in one game. Monsters... ghosts... a killer? Well then. Needless to say, this game takes real cheesy horror movie stereotypes, and makes it a very tolerable,Until Dawn puts you into the role of a classic, cliché, and predictable Friday the 13th like story. 8 teens, alone in a lodge, must face the horrors of an alleged killer, monsters, and even ghosts. All the typical horror movie types in one game. Monsters... ghosts... a killer? Well then. Needless to say, this game takes real cheesy horror movie stereotypes, and makes it a very tolerable, and incredible game. Until Dawn is best release in the horror game genre, in a long time. Until Dawn makes you take many decisions throughout the gameplay experience with a system called "Butterfly Effect". Once you make a decision, it's set in stone. All of your decisions effect the gameplay, and coming from an avid gamer like myself, I love this feature more than anything. It makes you stop and think about the future consequences of each decision. Your choices impact the lives of all 8 teenagers, and it's up to you to keep them alive 'Until Dawn'. Great game, worth getting for sure. Expand
  69. Nov 10, 2015
    Wasn't scary thats for sure but i like this kind games you making choices and game depens what you choice characters and atmosphere is good woth buying.

70. Nov 24, 2015
    some things about this game were a bit disappointing, but there were also a lot of things that took me by surprise. One issue I have with this game is how the story unfolds. I was invested at first and then it took a very unexpected turn, which was clever but I think the experience would have been better if it would have stuck to the direction this game has you believe that its going,some things about this game were a bit disappointing, but there were also a lot of things that took me by surprise. One issue I have with this game is how the story unfolds. I was invested at first and then it took a very unexpected turn, which was clever but I think the experience would have been better if it would have stuck to the direction this game has you believe that its going, without spoiling anything there is a twist and even though it was fun I think the game went a bit too wild. The other thing I wasn't impressed by was its replay value, the developers had sad that most people will only get 50% of the experience the first time through and will imidiately want to play it again, without spoiling anything, this is simply not the case, even though there is reason to replay the game, it is not for that reason. that's really everything bad about the game, everything else is great, but one thing that really surprised me was the depth of the characters and how much I actually ended up liking them. this is a great game for those who are into games where your choices matter and those who also love horror clichés because this game embraces them in the best way possible. Expand
  71. Nov 27, 2015
    So, here we have Until Dawn, an interactive video game that revolves around a group of characters trying to survive a night in a remote estate. You the player take control of various characters, and in turn have to make choices that will impact who survives in the end. It's a pretty straight forward story akin to 1980s slasher films.
    The game's biggest strength is the voice work turned in
    The game's biggest strength is the voice work turned in by the actors. Although the dialogue is at times cringeworthy the delivery is done well by most of the cast. The other thing that stands out in this game is the visuals. The game looks downright gorgeous at times, and it maintains a solid frame rate throughout the experience.
    That however is where the positives end. Truth be told I have a hard time calling this a game at all. It is more of an interactive movie where sometimes you get to walk around, and sometimes you get to make a mundane choice. This could possibly be forgiven if the game had any significant scares in it, but the only this this has going for it in terms of scares are the thousands of jumpscares it throws at you near the end. I was expecting good things from this for the fact that it was an exclusive, but what I got was an extremly dull, and at times boring experience. Something no gamer wants to go through while playing a game.
  72. Dec 27, 2015
    Until Dawn is a game that demands a sequel. It has a great idea, and should be expanded upon. The story is great in this game, except that some questions are not answered upon the conclusion. The ending was also a little weak.
  73. Jan 15, 2016
    [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

When I saw that people were comparing Until Dawn with great games in the genre like Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, or even the more recent The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, I thought to myself: "Damn! I have to get that game!" But at the time I was aiming for the release of other titles that interested me more, until this Christmas when I saw a good deal and I decided to buy it.

I'm not a huge fan of these games, my girlfriend enjoys them much more than I do, but it is certainly a great game, I think it'll have a place at the horror games genre for a long time.

The graphics are spectacular, the characters facial expressions fascinate me, the environment is also incredibly terrifying: A snow storm in a dark and spooky mountain in the middle of nowhere with all sorts of horrors: mutilated animals, monsters, murderers, ghosts, legends about supernatural things, a really badass asylum, abandoned mines ... And scares around every corner! I can still remember me and my girlfriend playing around 2AM when suddenly a freaking black wolf appears out of nowhere at the asylum, God we shouted out loud... We looked at eachother and we started laughing and looking everywhere for if there was a wolf in our living room, hahahaha! Our neighbor didn't find it that funny and started banging on the wall! And playing Emily in the mines... Goodness gracious... Can't you already shut the hell up blody Wendigo? Hahahaha!!

As for the story, I love games where your actions affect the course of the game's story, in Until Dawn they have captured that and have taken it to the extreme, having the possibility to kill all characters for the slightest judgment or decision that doesn't even seem that important, and just to remind you they tell you what you did wrong, like: "It's your fault he's dead!" :,( They have done a great job and have taken care of every detail, you discover the history of the mountain and all the horrific events that occurred there bit by bit.

There was only one thing I don't really get to understand, and it's Dr. Allan's role, Joshes psychiatrist. At the beginning I can clearly see that all those questions he asks you about your biggest fears and all that stuff is what go seeing along the adventure, but when you reach certain point in the story... Well, it lost its meaning and his purpose is not very clear. Yes, we get that he's an hallucination and that Josh is crazy, so what?

Nevertheless, I've had a blast both times I played with my girlfriend and the next time I'll do a collect'em all trophies.

Definitely a good title to enlarge my PS4 collection :) See ya!
  74. Jan 18, 2016
    Great game,nothing to say...u play and u will know...
    Much better if u use headset and max the volume and play at night and off ur lamp!!!
    Hahahahahaha...
    Try it dude!
  75. Mar 2, 2016
    I enjoyed this game a lot. It had a great story with some good twists and some really effective atmosphere. I know the entire story doesn't flip around based on your actions, but there were times that I made mistakes and people died because of it. It is one that I almost immediately wanted to replay to see if i could get through the game without losing any characters. I would compareI enjoyed this game a lot. It had a great story with some good twists and some really effective atmosphere. I know the entire story doesn't flip around based on your actions, but there were times that I made mistakes and people died because of it. It is one that I almost immediately wanted to replay to see if i could get through the game without losing any characters. I would compare this to the heavy rain and telltale games. More of an interactive movie than game, the controls are wonky but forgivable. Expand
  76. Apr 22, 2016
    ¿Película interactiva o Juego casual?

Cuando alguien me pregunta que *#$%"& es Until Dawn es la interrogante de mi título la que se viene a mi cabeza y no me hes fácil de contestar, ya sea la persona no entiende los conceptos o porque yo mismo no tengo la claridad de como clasificarlo. La historia es el clásico thriller de terror de los 80s-90s que llenaban las salas de los cines,
    ¿Película interactiva o Juego casual?

La historia es el clásico thriller de terror de los 80s-90s que llenaban las salas de los cines, donde los protagonistas poco importaban, la historia era sólo la base necesaria para introducir a la verdadera estrella "El Villano". Sagas como Pesadilla o Viernes 13 no son recordadas por la joven valiente que sobrevivió al final de la cinta, sino por el emblemático villano que será recordado como un icono de la cultura pop.

Until Dawn tiene todos estos elementos menos el más importante un villano carismático que recordaremos al final del viaje.

Nos presenta un buena historia donde nuestra tensión como jugadores es mantener con vida a los personajes típicos del estereotipo estadounidense.

La jugabilidad es casi nula y mi evaluación es un punto por sobre The Order porque al menos en este título los QTM (Quick Time Event) sí están bien implementados.

Until Dawn es un titulo prescindible al cual no recomiendo su compra por el precio completo, pero si esta la opción de conseguirlo a un muy bajo valor o prestado sería 100% válido como actividad grupal. La verdad es que es una película, y por lo tanto puedes disfrutarlo con tu familia o amigos.
  77. Apr 22, 2016
    me duele darle esta calificacion porque realmente me encanto este juego pero si somos justos a parte de la toma de decisiones no hay nada atractivo en este juego, la historia es la misma de siempre, chicos alocados que se quedan solos en una cabaña y un asenino o varios los persiguen para patarlo, la misma formula de viernes 13, masacre en texas, y en cierta parte tambien halloween, y elme duele darle esta calificacion porque realmente me encanto este juego pero si somos justos a parte de la toma de decisiones no hay nada atractivo en este juego, la historia es la misma de siempre, chicos alocados que se quedan solos en una cabaña y un asenino o varios los persiguen para patarlo, la misma formula de viernes 13, masacre en texas, y en cierta parte tambien halloween, y el gameblay es muy aburrido parace mas bien puzzle que terror y aun asi la toma de decisiones ya existía en silent hill shattered memories el cual lo considero 10 veces mejor Expand
  78. May 11, 2016
    Until Dawn is a great game. Definetly the best choice interactive game around. The story is really captivating and almost every choice you make has a consequence.

Pros: - Great Story - Great Graphics - Good Gameplay - Good Soundtrack - A lot of significant choices through the game - Very Entertaining Cons: - You can't start a new game without deleting the previous Scores:

Pros:
    - Great Story
    - Great Graphics
    - Good Gameplay
    - Good Soundtrack
    - A lot of significant choices through the game
    - Very Entertaining

Cons:
    - You can't start a new game without deleting the previous

Scores:

Entertainment: 10/10
    Gameplay: 8/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
  79. Jun 1, 2016
    OK. Until Dawn, is a good game. With some "ifs" sprinkled in there. It's a good game if you like story, (however disjointed at times it may feel), it's also a good game if you like beautiful graphics and pretty good mo-cap.

It is not a good game if you value gameplay. This is an artistic piece through and through. I played it and don't regret it one bit. I won't however, be playing it again.

The game starts at a pretty decent pace and without spoilers, will dig it's meaty claws into your shoulder and will not let go. It's full of horror tropes you've come to know and love, (people going alone, things that go bump etc...). For the most part you may not care about the characters as much as you led to believe by the butterfly effect system. I saved 4 people on my playthrough, but knew I was damning a few and didn't really care. I wanted to see it finished.

The first half of the game is where it's strongest. You have no idea of what is going on and it makes for some tense creepy moments. It borrows heavily from various horror franchises, but yet seems to be it's own. In between each episode you see a piece with Peter Stormare, that is pretty well done. It's beautiful and it works well.

The failing begins during the second half of the game. At this point, the plot, (again without spoilers), takes a heavy turn and it's not for the best. Imagine watching a slasher flick that suddenly becomes a supernatural romp and you get the idea. It almost felt as if the writers had painted themselves into a literary corner and now were looking for an out.

For those who say all it is, is QTE; it isn't. But it does rely heavily on the QTE button presses for some of it's scenes. The problem here is that failing some of these QTE doesn't always end badly. For a game that has no compunction with death, it seems a little out of place. Sometimes the failing of the QTE can actually be helpful.

The sound design in this game is a definite strength. For jump scares, use headphones. You won't regret this part at all. The character designs are well done and the Mo-cap is really well implemented...to a point.

Some of the animations when the characters are talking seem really wire-framed and limited in motion. There is little in the way of true gameplay here. You walk, you look at shiny objects, you pick things up and you QTE certain areas. That's about the gist of it.

One major gripe is how the camera can shift when you are walking in one direction. Effectively this can change the direction you need to press to be able to continue in the same direction. It's reminiscent of Resident Evil in that way.

There are multiple endings in the game, which can be altered via the butterfly effect. Admittedly I only played through once, but I have no desire to go through the game again. Yet somehow, I doubt the game itself up until the end point changes very much, which is a shame. It would be nice to see that if Character A dies and I let Character B live that the game is very altered. All in all though the butterfly effect just doesn't seem to have wings. It's just a caterpillar still on the ground.

So if you are looking for a game heavy with story, this may be for you.
    You want a roughly 7-9 hour long interactive movie, pick it up, but I'd wait until it is down to the $20 mark if I were to be honest. I paid $40 and it still felt like too much.

I gave it an 8, because for what it is and what it tried to do, I thought 7 was too low. If I could even though some people don't like half marks, I would give this game a 7.5
  80. Jul 5, 2016
    Nice butterfly effect but no playability, the story is linear so u make the choices but the story still the same no big changes, the graphics are ok, but not spectacular, at the mid game i was just wanting to reach the end of the game. I WONT BUY THE SECOND PART IF THERE IS...
  81. Aug 7, 2016
    Masterpiece. 10/10 Great tribute to the films of the 80's. It's more than a game, it's a fabulous experience. We need more games like this.

Awesome game, Supermassive Games!
  82. Dec 13, 2016
    Story - The story centers around 8 friends in their return to Blackwood mountains after one year from the day of accident that occured to the sisters of Josh (One of the main characters in game) and the horrors and secrets they will all uncover and experience and must survive until dawn.The game is based on the classic B rated Slash/horror films that was really popular on the 90s and itStory - The story centers around 8 friends in their return to Blackwood mountains after one year from the day of accident that occured to the sisters of Josh (One of the main characters in game) and the horrors and secrets they will all uncover and experience and must survive until dawn.The game is based on the classic B rated Slash/horror films that was really popular on the 90s and it pays homage to its story cliches. Therefore, you can both say it is a lazy effort by the developers or that they are just loyal and gave good research to those classic horror genre in its golden era. due to this, it will be very common for you to feel frustrated to the usual stupid decisions teenagers make in this game. However, what really interests me is that you as a player can decide for them in certain aspect of the game, and by doing so. You may or may not help them survive until the end. It will not change the general story however, it will give you more interactions since more characters will be alive by then. However, my main problem is that for a horror game, it never was scary for me at all. Yes there are a few jumpscares here and there and creepy places. But after finishing the game i never felt any reluctance to play it again like what games like alien isolation gave to me, i couldnt feel any more of this scary moments or pressuring moments. With these, a fair score of 6/10 will do.

Gameplay - Gameplay also returned to the days where Resident evil and Silent hills dominates the horror genre with its fixed camera in your exploration. As to the interactivity of the game, i can say that it is good despite its lack of quantity esp. those scenes where you should not move since most of them will usually result in your character being put in a bad spot or may jump to their deaths. Another to thing to add that the whole campaign is short but since it is a story driven which changes based on your choices, it has a great level of replayability. You can decide to kill them or try to challenge yourself to make them all survive. With this regard, a good score of 8/10 deserves this aspect of the game.

Graphics - As to the environment, it is almost perfect. The places are haunting, creepy and will really give you the goosebumps in your exploration. As to the character design, i liked how the developers really put effort in the motion captures of its characters. Their facial expression are realistic and detailed. However, my main problem is the FPS drops that comes more often than not in its cutscenes and due to this, delay of sounds or voice sounds occurs which gives me major problems since it is a game where you spend most of the time watching than playing it. Therefore, a score of 7/10 deserves such plus and minus.

Music and Sound - The music of this game overall is good. The timed sections has that loud music which puts more pressures to you and the haunting ones are properly inserted in those creepy areas which adds to its uneasiness. As to the sound, Id say it has its ups and downs, as to the ups, voice acting of the characters is good and also the sudden sounds that comes in within jumpscare moments are spot on. In fact, i had more jumpscares from the sound rather than from the game's visuals. The downs is the same with the cutscenes that sudden framedrops occurs which makes the sound delay and not following the mouth movements of the characters. Considering all the factors i have said. it deserves a score of 7/10.

Average score = 6.75 (I dont round off my scores since i dont give perfect scores and zeroes i.e. 9.6 rounded off to 10)

Supermassive games really showed that they have potential to make story driven interactive games. It needs some improvements like its story and also that bad fps and needs more scary moments, but overall, i was satisfied with the game. I hope they would continue to improve in this aspect and release games in the future that would be in the level of quantic dream games. awesome and hope they live until dawn, lol.bad joke i know just kidding.
  83. Jan 8, 2017
    This game is really intense! I didn't expect it is so good and played it more than a year after release. The game starts slowly but second part of the game is simply great. I'll definitely play this game to rescue more people that did during my first playthrough.
  84. Mar 12, 2017
    A great storytelling game. Thats why PS4 is a great console this generation. I play this game about 4-5 times.
    After that you basically finished with the game. But i got my money worth.
    I dont recomended it for 60$ , But i think now the price is about 10-15$.
    Go get it you will not be disappointed if you are the fans of game like this.
  85. Sep 19, 2017
    Surely a must buy for PS4 owners. The atmosphere, story telling, characters, and choices are all great, and forces you to play through the game again to try out other choices. Choices are brilliantly designed to have a lot of impact, even going certain paces make a huge difference.
  86. Nov 6, 2017
    Until Dawn is a great AAA adventure game with a choice-driven narrative.

This game is inspired from Heavy Rain and applies its structure into an interactive movie with 8 playable protagonists. But unlike games such as Telltale's The Walking Dead where some things will happen no matter what you do, in Until Dawn your choices matter and affect the story. Until Dawn's story is about a
    Until Dawn is a great AAA adventure game with a choice-driven narrative.

Until Dawn's story is about a group of 8 young people who go on vacation at a winter resort in the mountains only to get into trouble because (surprise!) there is a psycho killer on the loose. The story begins awkwardly but soon it finds its pace, and diverts from a simplistic Scream-like plot into a Resident Evil-esque one. The game's atmosphere is tremendous thanks to the amazing job done by the artists and graphics programmers of Supermassive Games.

Gameplay is pretty simple, you explore the environment and look out for clues or objects to interact with. There are many indian totems scattered around which offer visual hints of things to come (like a character's potential death or a way to escape from a trap). But most of all, the game's full of choices to make. Some times you will have to defend a person in an argument, other times you will have to sweet talk to them. The game's also full of QTEs, but failing one doesn't necessarily mean instant death. There are also some nice motion control events and I suggest you play with motion controls enabled, it adds to the game's immersion. Your overall choices will affect the fate of every character. By the story's end, some characters may get killed, maybe all of them will die, maybe everybody will survive. It's up to you.

My only gripe is the camera. It's not free to rotate like in most games. It's like the old Resident Evil games, it's static and transitions into a new point of view as you walk around. It works, but I don't like a static camera. Oh, and the killings can be too gorey for my tastes.

Overall this game is fantastic. It's suspenseful with plenty of plot twists and surprises, your choices affect the story, and it's built for replayability. Go into this game and try to survive, ehm, Until Dawn.
  87. Sep 7, 2015
    I really enjoyed Until Dawn.Although any story twists and shocks barely raised an eyebrow on this horror veteran.As an interactive movie,it's a great success,but as a video game it is less successful.It really needed more meaningful interaction besides QTE and conversation choices.Sadly,all of the characters were dull and predictable,though it was hard to dislike Sam and Emily wasI really enjoyed Until Dawn.Although any story twists and shocks barely raised an eyebrow on this horror veteran.As an interactive movie,it's a great success,but as a video game it is less successful.It really needed more meaningful interaction besides QTE and conversation choices.Sadly,all of the characters were dull and predictable,though it was hard to dislike Sam and Emily was obviously designed to be despised by every player( Just die you b**ch) .Still,it deserves a better sequel with better writing that doesn't treat it's audience like foolish horror amateurs... Expand
  88. Sep 1, 2015
    This game had great graphics, a pretty interesting plot, and kept me cringing everytime I made a decision. I kept asking myself, "Did I just send that character to murderville?". Overall, I had a great time with it. If you are not a fan of games like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, then you will probably hate this game. It has a lot of slow gameplay where you just explore theThis game had great graphics, a pretty interesting plot, and kept me cringing everytime I made a decision. I kept asking myself, "Did I just send that character to murderville?". Overall, I had a great time with it. If you are not a fan of games like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, then you will probably hate this game. It has a lot of slow gameplay where you just explore the environment and look for clues. However, if you do enjoy those types of games then this will give you an entertaining way to spend the evening. Even-though anyone can die in the game I feel that the replay value is still not too high. Once the big twist is revealed it just seems like who dies and who doesn't is not too important; it seems like the end result is roughly the same regardless due to the nature of the plot. Replay value isn't the purpose if you are in it for a pretty good story that plays out like an old school slasher flick and that is what I was playing it for so....mission accomplished! Expand
  89. Aug 27, 2015
    Don't let the yellow circle around the number fool you into thinking this game is only okay; Until Dawn is quite good, it just isn't good enough to warrant a $60 purchase.
    After reading some of the other reviews, I feel the need to mention a one thing before getting to the review proper: Until Dawn was meant to be a love letter to the horror film genre. To clarify, the characters, the different types of villains, and the setting as a whole were meant to feel familiar and stereotypical. Not unlike Joss Whedon's Cabin in the Woods, Until Dawn isn't really meant to be a standalone experience - you won't enjoy what you're seeing to its fullest if you haven't also seen at least some of the substantial source material.
    So the player controls 8 teenagers (portrayed by actors who most certainly are not teenagers) as they wander around a spooky house, a sanatorium, and the forest and such surrounding the two locations, picking up things and piecing together what happened at varying points of the mountain's past. The game jumps you from character to character to try and keep the narrative going. The characters have set attributes, as well as relationship meters with all of their friends, and your actions as each character alter how the others perceive you. Choices you make as one character resonate with the others, and change the story.
    On that note, the "butterfly effect" system the game is so proud of (it even gets its own intro cutscene), isn't as robust as the ones found in the Telltale games, or even that of Chrono Trigger. Supposed recaps of certain situations happened differently during my playthrough than they had when I was playing them. While the consequences were the same, there was an odd disconnect in seeing things that I didn't do work out the same way as the things I actually did. Similar problems arose regarding lines of dialogue that didn't make sense in the context of my actions.
    Gameplay-wise, most of the game is walking around looking at things and flipping them over. If you've played L.A. Noire, that's honestly the best way to describe it - right down to the over-the-shoulder camera when you pick something up and use the right stick to rotate it. Here, however, is where the most noticeable problem of Until Dawn shows itself: it doesn't control well at nearly any point in time. The game operates on a nearly fixed camera (think Resident Evil, or a Telltale game again), but the right stick is still used to move your character's light source around. Everyone turns too slowly, and the light sources, whatever they may be, are difficult to control, because it's hard to tell whether the game wants you to move the right stick in relation to the camera or the character. I'm pretty sure it changed sometimes, as well. But that's tolerable; the real problem is once the right trigger comes into play.
    Players use the right trigger (R2) to pick up objects, push buttons, open cabinets, and so on. To push a button, you must hold R2 until the character's finger presses the button, then release R2. To pick up an object and perform an action with it, you must hold R2 to pick it up, and keep R2 held while doing whatever else is required; releasing R2 will cause your character to place the object right where they found it and then just hold their hand in front of it, like they're trying to manipulate it with the Force. Furthermore, for some strange reason, all of the actions that involve movement in one of these R2 sections translate that movement to the right stick, not the left. Anyone who's played just about any 3D game will understand that the right stick is used for camera control, and that this is wrong. These sections appear often, but thankfully aren't usually time-sensitive.
    In all honesty, however, the thing that really lowered my opinion of the game was the lack of a consistent story in this story-based game. In trying to wrangle all of the horror subgenres into one game, the developers made a story with far too much going on at once; as though they were aware of this, they then sliced away every plot point previously mentioned, and put an entire new one in for the game's last third. With more than half the game involving a series of red herrings, the final, much more action-packed hours lack the tension and interest that was built up for the majority of the game. Furthermore, Until Dawn is, like the horror films it so lovingly emulates, predictable to the extreme. Every plot twist is foreseeable, even after the radical shift in subject matter in the last section of the game. And, as a side note, most of this horror game's "scares" are jump scares that have no context nor significance to the plot at all.
    Despite these concerns, I still enjoyed Until Dawn, as did my family and girlfriend who all sat down to watch the story unfold. But I think I enjoyed it more than some because I got it for about $30, rather than the full price. Like a bad horror film, rent it, or buy it on sale, and you'll have a good time.
  90. Aug 28, 2015
    I hate interactive movies. I hate the Telltale games, and I didn't much care for Heavy Rain. It certainly isn't worth $60, maybe $20, and it doesn't even have much replay value as there are very few differences besides the few different endings and some scenes where dead characters will be missing.
    Still, it was enjoyable and after the first fairly dull 3 hours I found it hard to put down. It literally kept me up until dawn, and then some.
    I killed off a few characters the first time and immediately though, "I shouldn't have done that. That was stupider than a teen in a typical horror movie." But other times all I did was miss a quick-time event sprung on me after a 10-minute non-interactive scene.
    The plot is a bit predictable, but slightly twisty and fun. The characters are typical shallow horror movie types, but I tended to care more about them as time went on. I was rooting for them to die at first, but trying to save them by the end.
    I just don't understand why the couldn't have built in a few real game mechanics. Why not let me run and climb like in Tomb Raider instead of pushing a triangle at the correct moment to jump to a higher ledger or slide under a tree? I don't get that.
    Still, it is something different and quite entertaining. Although there are passages where the characters look like the "zombie" children from The Polar Express, the acting and animation is usually quite good and many emotions are conveyed.
    It is far from perfect, but it is a milestone in the interactive movie genre.
    It is at least worth a rental if you have a PS4. Or buy it and lend it to friends when you are done. One or two times through is enough unless you really want to get all the collectibles, and have to sit through hours and hours of the same non-skipable scenes again and again.
  91. Aug 30, 2015
    Sure, this can hardly be called a "video game" as that term has been defined over the last 30 years, but whatever the hell you call it, it was a wonderful experience. I know this because (1) I completed the game over the weekend and (2) my wife was as engaged in watching me play it as I was. As a (now) casual gamer married to a woman who hates video games these two things never happen. ISure, this can hardly be called a "video game" as that term has been defined over the last 30 years, but whatever the hell you call it, it was a wonderful experience. I know this because (1) I completed the game over the weekend and (2) my wife was as engaged in watching me play it as I was. As a (now) casual gamer married to a woman who hates video games these two things never happen. I suppose that says more about how this experience is not a video game than anything else, but video games are evolving and I suppose this will be a case study on that point.

Unfortunately, the thing most likely to kill you in this otherwise tense experience are its first 2.5 hours. This part of the game just moved too slowly and the scares had no substance to them. As a fan of the horror genre, that “thing lurking in the shadows” can only turn out to be a harmless **** so many times before I stop taking you seriously. This isn’t to say that the scares should commence right out the gate, but too many false starts are what nearly caused me to put the controller down on this one forever. If the creators want to lull me into a false sense of security before unleashing the proverbial beast, I would appreciate it if they were quicker about it next time. This wouldn’t be so bad in a game where you can do more than walk at a snail’s pace, but with the exception of its set pieces, that’s really all you can do here. This has the effect of forcing you to endure 2-3 hours of slow, uneventful “gameplay” through the introductory chapters. I'm too damn busy to spend all that time doing nothing.

Another gripe I had is that when you are in control of them, the players can never move faster than a slow amble. If you hold down the L1 button you go from moving at 1 mile per hour to moving at 1.2 miles per hour. However, the game rewards exploration, possibly more so than any game I have ever played. This sends mixed messages by encouraging you to check every corner of every environment, but also making it frustrating to walk your character's slow ass across the room. This frustration is exacerbated when the characters have to explore some of the larger locales. The experience would have been much better if you could at least jog. This would have allowed me to get through the game’s slower moments without sacrificing the tension I am sure the developers were trying to achieve with the whole walking thing. I’m left wondering why the creators of the game even gave you the option of “walking faster” by holding L1, when there was no meaningful difference in the character’s pace.

Notwithstanding the above, there are many things I found in this game that I want to see in future video games. The setting is fantastic and the graphics are incredible. The game is just amazing to look at. I also appreciate how the choices you make have consequences that the game forces you to live with. The game is constantly saving, so if a decision you made results in a character’s death, or leaves the character without a weapon, you have to move forward with that. What made this feature so interesting is that the consequences of your decisions are not always readily apparent: sometimes the consequence of a decision you made much earlier in the game does not manifest itself until the game’s final chapters, when the **** really hits the fan. Another quality I found interesting is that the choices I made did not always turn out the way I would have expected.

Despite what I am reading in other reviews: the story and characters are brilliant. Reviewers are complaining that the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes to which I say two things: (1) no, they aren’t really, and (2) so what? On that first point, the characters definitely start out as stereotypes, but they (and how you feel about them) will change based on the decisions you make. At one point early in the game, you rank the characters based on how you feel about them. Naturally, I made my choices based on the things I had observed up to that point. As the game progressed however, the way I felt about certain characters changed dramatically. I have never had an emotional attachment to video game characters quite like I did in this game. By the end of the game, each character was a byproduct of the decisions I had personally made. So, if you played the game and still think that the characters are stereotypes, then perhaps that says more about you than the characters themselves.

Lastly, I prefer conventional video games where the interactivity aspect manifests itself more in the gameplay and less in player decisions. I hated Beyond Two Souls and the minute I learned that this game was going to be much like that gameplay-wise I was seriously off-put. In fact, I un-preordered Until Dawn and did not buy it. Instead, I rented it and I am damn glad I gave it a shot because when the developers address its issues in future games, I am looking forward to giving them my money.
  92. Sep 2, 2015
    Basically an interactive movie. The gameplay consists of some quick time events. That's it. Very similar to tell-tale games.
    Personally it wasn't that scary, not like Outlast anyway. My wife tho, she crapped herself, but still loved watching me play, and wanted me to start again right after finishing the game.
    So depends what your cup of tea is. For me it was a bit meh
  93. Aug 26, 2015
    If you like games such as the "Walking Dead" or "Wolf Among Us", I would say that you should definitely consider buying this game.

I wanted to give this game a better score, but it had too many shortcomings for me. The story is a little cliche for my tastes. It's basically one of the "bunch of college friends go to [insert isolated area] and end up getting chased around by [insert scary monster(s)]" horror stories. A lot of the decisions you make are actually more of an illusion of choice in which you are presented with two options, but no matter what you pick the same thing happens. This is mainly used to keep the plot pushing forward, but it can still be annoying. Certain things in the plot just don't make any sense, but this is generally very minor. The voice acting is also pretty bad at times, and the dialogue makes me think I'm watching a high school play.

The graphics are nice (even though it's usually too dark to tell anyway) and the game does a good job of constructing an atmosphere. If you are a big fan of interactive stories, you would probably like this.
  94. Aug 28, 2015
    Are you a horror-game enthusiast? Did The Evil Within not go the distance for you? Do you want to control the fates of every teen horror archetype in one night? If you have responded yes to the above, this game will be a very pleasing play through for you. The best thing about Until Dawn I saw is, anyone can play it, and play it very effectively. The difficulty is sub-par, so if you areAre you a horror-game enthusiast? Did The Evil Within not go the distance for you? Do you want to control the fates of every teen horror archetype in one night? If you have responded yes to the above, this game will be a very pleasing play through for you. The best thing about Until Dawn I saw is, anyone can play it, and play it very effectively. The difficulty is sub-par, so if you are hunting for a horror-esque game with a high-level challenge, check out Bloodbourne. Until Dawn grabs you from the shaking events on the prologue and doesn't let go for more than a minute to "relieve" your nerves, and then shakes you even harder. Something great Until Dawn did was bring the player into the horror experience. You, the player, have to progress through the dark, dreary abandoned mine shaft. As the game has a great deal of positives, there are negatives I experienced. The characters in the cast fell short for me, none of them were memorable to me and when(if) they died, I shrugged and kept on going. Another issue I had with the game was how badly the story was told, lore wise. The game would give you facts about an event and not five minutes later would completely refute it. I understand the mystery aspect but as an avid mystery genre fanatic, giving the player clues to connect and losing the relevance of key "clues" I found through the game was really irritating. As a game with a new age horror experience, this game is worth a play through. Rent it on gamefly if you are able to...The replay-ability is abysmal and you will not like hearing the same dialogue and jump scares more than once. Expand
  95. Oct 15, 2015
    One of the best games for PlayStation 4. Great story telling, many characters, a lot of game play, nice sound and soundtrack and interesting concept. I loved it. I rate 9 out of 10.
  96. Oct 28, 2015
    Nice game when you have a party or a holiday camping, playing it with many friends in a large room overnight with projector ,trust me ,it will make a great fun and wonderful memory :)

The only thing that makes this game unable to be a perfect game is that the butterfly effect does not really have a free choice tree, your choices have limited influences
  97. Oct 28, 2015
    If you're a fan of games like Heavy Rain then you'll love this. Obviously not a perfect game but it's worth it for everything it represents. The graphics are amazing, great story, great atmosphere and a head scratching mystery that has you guessing who's the killer throughout the whole game.
    Overall if you like story based games with choices then this is definitely worth a try.
  98. Mar 29, 2016
    Beautiful, nice acting BUT.... that's not a game ... it's just a movie, but in 7 hour movie you have to mix everything... at the end the story totaly sux cause horror came from everywhere... I've the sensation to have waste 10 hour of my life watching a really really bda movie (like troll 2) !

Why 10 hour ? and not 7 like i said just up, because i've read the box who say "each action and decision can change the story", and i believe that ... but they will have write it like that "each action and decision can change the story, but not the end..., and in fact your choice has no really impact on the story or on the character, just on few little details"

So it was the first time a buy an interactive movie, and it was the last time ! i want to play game, not watching a movie ...
  99. Aug 28, 2015
    One undeniable factor about Until Dawn is that the graphics are simply amazing, you can really see emotions on the characters faces and especially on their mouths (unlike the up and down motion on a lot of games) so that definitely adds to the game for me.

It is a VERY cinematic experience (littered with cut scenes) that focuses on you making decisions to engross you, rather than all out action. For me personally, it was a bit too much of the former although it does have its moments. The story isn't bad, nor is it good but it does rely on jump scares (like a classic horror film),

If you enjoy Telltale games then you'll probably love this or, and this may sounds strange, a couple looking for something to do at night! You can argue over the decisions ;)
  100. Aug 25, 2015
    A video game obsessed with its own narratology, detracting from the overall immersion. As far as interpretation goes the Butterfly Effect motif is spoon-fed, when it should be implied. The conceit found with the nuanced campiness is that it's actually not to a fault, but what ruins this subtlety is the flimsily implemented motion-controls.

1. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2015
    A barely interactive horror film about typical American teenagers. You know, with a cabin. In the woods. And a psychopath. We’ve all seen that, we’ve heard these dialogues, we all know these characters. Still Until Dawn has a pretty good story and is a nice homage to horror flicks and despite being a collection of simple QTE’s can both engage and surprise. [11/2015, p.44]
  2. Oct 28, 2015
    It's tense, smart, and able to arouse the player's curiosity until the end. Some design choices are a bit controversial, and the acting is not always spot on, but it's definitely a great homage to horror movies.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Oct 16, 2015
    Gameplay-wise, not exactly a killer app, but anybody who looks at those visuals will be dead impressed. Short, but plenty of reasons to replay, and it’s the spookiest game since Alien: Isolation. [November 2015, p72]