7.9

1. Sep 27, 2018
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 is nearly a clone of Valkyria Chronicles 1, which in this game is actually a good thing and a relief after the Azure Revolution that was terrible.

That being said while it IS a good game there is one important flaw that I need to address: the story. The story feels more or less like the devs came up in a bit of rush, then stretched it thin using many micro fillers. It's not bad by any means, but I can't say that it's good either. The first one in the series had a much better story I'm afraid.

Don't let my review disappoint you too much though, you'll still enjoy it, just don't expect it to be quite as epic as the first one.
  2. Dec 1, 2018
    I simply love this game and the Valkyria Chronicles series as a whole. My favorite game!
  3. Dec 25, 2018
    Awsome game truly happy it has made its return. Beyond sayisfied with how they hadled this sequal.
  4. Oct 4, 2018
    Possédant une personnalité visuelle forte et très agréable, Valkyria Chronicles propose un gameplay fun, abordable et complexe à la fois. Le scénario est incroyablement prenant et les personnages aussi bien écrits qu’attachant. Bref, Valkyria Chronicles 4, compte clairement parmi les meilleurs J-RPG et Tactical RPG de la PS4.

Pour lire la suite :

Pour lire la suite : https://ps4vita.fr/ps4/test/valkyria-chronicles-4-meilleur-j-rpg/
  5. Oct 7, 2018
    Valkyria Chronicles is a series that I have always been interested in playing. In recent years I have been enjoying tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids, Advance Wars, ect. When Valkyria Chronicles 4 was announced a couple of months ago I thought this was the best time to get in on the series and to add to the excitement, it was also going to be released on Nintendo Switch.Valkyria Chronicles is a series that I have always been interested in playing. In recent years I have been enjoying tactical RPGs like Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids, Advance Wars, ect. When Valkyria Chronicles 4 was announced a couple of months ago I thought this was the best time to get in on the series and to add to the excitement, it was also going to be released on Nintendo Switch.

After putting in 50+ hours into the game I am glad to say that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is not only one of my favorite tactical RPG but, it is also one of my favorite games of the year. One worry I had walking into the fourth game in the series is that I was worried that I needed to play the previous games in the series to understand the story of Valkyria Chronicles. Thankfully no knowledge of the previous games is needed because even though this game takes place at the same time as the original game, there was never a point where I needed context from the original game for me to enjoy the story of this game.

The game centers around 4 characters Claude, Raz, Kai, and Riley who happen to be childhood friends. The great thing about this game is seeing how war has changed each of the main characters and not only that but seeing how they grow as characters. When moments occur you worry about these characters because you are attached to them. And when it comes to characters I believe Valkyria Chronicles 4 did a great job with the main characters and also the villains because most of the villains you meet are not just evil because the game requires them to be villians. When you see the story of the villains you understand why they are fighting for their side. One worry I had for the this game was that I thought that the other characters you control in the game would just be generic characters you order to do something and that's their roles but, when you match certain characters with each other you unlock bonus chapters that basically shows a story between those character and you get to learn more about the side characters.

The gameplay is really good and the classes available in this game are great as well. The classes in this game are Scouts which have great mobility and can shoot at a distance. Shocktroopers carry machine guns and have good armor which are great for close combat. Engineers fix your tank and are the only characters in the game that can revive a fallen ally. Lancers carry armor piercing explosives which can take down tanks. Snipers are pretty self explanatory, they can shoot really well from a distance. And the new class introduced in this game is the Grenadier which are soldiers that can shoot mortars from a launcher and are a great tool for not only taking down soldiers but if their accuracy is great, they can take down tanks as well.

My only really big gripe with the game is that with some of the bosses it felt like they were difficult not because they hard to fight necessarily but because there were times when the damage they were taking didn’t add up. Example being I would have a tank attack a boss and sometimes the damage dealt seems right but when I did the same action the damage taken was not the same. There are also times in the last half of the game when there is a difficulty spike and sometimes it wasn't something I couldn't handle but other times it felt cheap and impossible to win until retrying the missions 3 or 4 times.

The Switch version of the game ran really well especially in handheld mode which for me helped me choose this version over the PS4 or Xbox One version. There were a couple of times when there were framerate issues, but there were not that many so I gave the game a pass seeing how I enjoyed the experience overall. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a great game no matter which version of the game you get. The best praise I can give this game is that Valkyria Chronicles 1 is going to be re released on Switch in a couple of weeks and because I enjoyed what I played I am definitely gonna pick it up when it releases.
  6. Sep 27, 2018
    While I did have some fun with the handheld games, they never really captured the spirit of the original. However, VC4 truly does feel like the proper sequel to the original that I've been wanting for all these years.
  7. Sep 30, 2018
    Great storyline and gameplay, possibly the best installement in the series yet.
    If you like tactical rpgs, dont miss this one.
  8. Sep 25, 2018
    Great story, great gameplay, great graphics. Has the heart of a Valkyria game!
  9. Nov 16, 2018
    even better game than VC1
    + amazing tactical combat
    + unique mix of genres
    + story and lore
    + funny shounen type of story, characters and dialogues
    + soundtrack and cool af
    - some small issues when controling tank are still there
  10. Nov 1, 2018
    This game was made with love and care. Rare sight this days. Pretty similar to the first one, but it's ok. You don't have to be innovative if there is only 2 games in the whole genre.
  11. Sep 25, 2018
    Perfect, like the first one but more complex plot and better graphics. Finally we get another awesome Valkyria Chronicles.
  12. Sep 26, 2018
    I've been a Valkyria Chronicles fan since the start, after playing a demo for the original game on PSN I immediately went out and bought a new copy retail at an additional $20 above and beyond the retail asking price (still not sure it was priced over retail asking price at the time) It ended up becoming my fav jrpg of that gen and I have since played every game in the series, althoughI've been a Valkyria Chronicles fan since the start, after playing a demo for the original game on PSN I immediately went out and bought a new copy retail at an additional $20 above and beyond the retail asking price (still not sure it was priced over retail asking price at the time) It ended up becoming my fav jrpg of that gen and I have since played every game in the series, although admittedly with Valkyria Chronicles 3 being in Japanese only, I couldn't really get into it.

With all of that mentioned above, the bar had been set high for me as I eagerly anticipated the Valkyria Chronicles 4 release date.

I put in about 4 hrs yesterday on top of my previous demo time and I am absolutely loving it! I played my remastered copy of the original Valkyria Chronicles the night before and took down General Gregor and his war train over top of the Darcsen concentration camp to brush up before Valkyria Chronicles 4.

These games both play so similar, although I've really come to appreciate the Grenadier Class being added to VC4. With the ability to launch mortars to knock down sandbag bunkers and pick off infantry units with my snipers and other assorted fire power from a safe/ covered area.

The characters as you get to know them and start to get a bit of a back story have been interesting and likable with Claude having many of the same qualities of Welkin. Raz offers a gritty side that was maybe absent from other VC entries and Kai seems to be pretty level headed.

The visuals have definitely improved since VC was last on a console during the PS3 days, yet VC4 is still faithful to the original art style and comic panel format for dialogue. I feel the dialogue can go on between missions longer than they did in VC but the story has been progressing interestingly enough to warrant the extended dialogue.

With this entry into the Valkyria Chronicles series, Sega has given the core audience exactly what they've wanted after all these years... a faithful successor to the original VC with a handful of improvements.
  13. Sep 27, 2018
    Solid game, all the mechanics from the earlier entries are improved upon and the new ones feel very useful. Story is fun and thematically darker compared to 1 and 2. I ended up playing through this whole game within two days so it gets a big recommendation from me
  14. Oct 1, 2018
    Great tactical RPG that can be very challenging. Story is great and makes you want to do another mission after another. Great addition to the series.
  15. Sep 26, 2018
    Very little innovation but its a love letter to the first game which is just what I wanted,
  16. Dec 20, 2018
    It does everything the first one did and adds more mechanics for added strategy and more depth overall to the game.
  17. Jul 24, 2019
    I only played the first game for a few chapters before getting into a hard wall that stopped me from progressing (chapter 6 if I'm correct) which also discouraged me to continue ever again, which was a shame because I was having fun but the game was so ungodly and unfairly difficult in some parts that it left you with no way for errors. Add the fact that I'm practically the worse tacticalI only played the first game for a few chapters before getting into a hard wall that stopped me from progressing (chapter 6 if I'm correct) which also discouraged me to continue ever again, which was a shame because I was having fun but the game was so ungodly and unfairly difficult in some parts that it left you with no way for errors. Add the fact that I'm practically the worse tactical player in the whole galaxy, capable of failing tutorial missions too, the game was too hard for me and despite my best intentions in enjoying it I simply could not get past the hard missions. I might eventually try it again with the remaster though.

With that said, VC4 was a welcome addition because it felt easier for me to get into it, thanks to an easy mode that helps noobs like me to get past choke points and hard missions without risking to lose your troops and considering the changes and improvements made in the past 3 games it was all fresh for me.

So overall if you were unsure about the game for its difficulty, VC4 helps you out with an easier difficulty that will make the game easy...but the game can still quite a **** when it wants so even on easy mode just be careful on how you play.

With that out of the way, the game is set around the same time frame of VC1 and VC3 - at least according to the wiki - and the story revolves the members of Squad E and its quirky group: plenty of characters in the squad are unique and very interesting, with their flaws and pros and overall each character is well distinguished. Add the fact that there are squad stories that develop members of the team even better, it's fair to assume that its roster it's the best feature of the story. And probably only too.

See, I've only reached chapter 6 (again, although I'm not stuck this time) and so far the main story seems...to lack a little depth: besides the squadron, you're not given much detail about the enemy and it feels as if we're fighting an unnamed enemy. I hope it gets better later but, I ask again, "Why can't the story be good right now?" I will never understand when RPGs need 10-20 hours for a story to be good when you can give some good starters! Right now I just feel like I'm doing chores without any objective which is a shame because I WANT to know more.

Good thing that the squadron makes the story more tolerable and enjoyable because they're the best thing of the game: everyone is just interesting and fun to see interact and I love when new cutscenes come out. I love how Raz keeps bragging about being the invincible guy or how Kai is always picking him up, or how Claude is a simple but reassuring commander - although not as charismatic as Gunther. So at the very least, you can have a great time with how the characters interact...but some might dislike that so be ready to witness countless of (crappily made) cutscenes.
    At least they are voiced though.

And lastly but not the least, the combat: honestly I don't think it's a whole lot different than VC1 but as far as I can see you got a new class, the grenadier, and you can use vehicles to get people inside them. For the rest is pretty much the same as VC1 with some tweaks here and there: you use a CP, Command Point, to control someone in third person, move them on the map for a certain amount of time thanks with the AP provided, and then shoot by aiming with the R1 button. Rinse and Repeat.
    It's a very simple but satisfying way of playing the game, so much so it's barely got any changes from VC1 and all the changes it got in this game were either from previous installments or brand new here, but the core mechanic remained the same which isn't entirely bad.

So overall, do I recommend it? For newcomers, I do because it's more noob friendly and allows to play an easy setting to make the game fun and enjoyable for those who want to follow the story and take it easy.
    For those who aren't new however, you're going to get pretty much the same if not a little less because VC1 had an overall better story but VC4 has some better balancing in comparison.

Honestly I just recommend it to everyone and give it a shot: whether new or old, this game deserves a spot in anyone's shelf.
  18. Jul 20, 2019
    + The missions are very creative and play out very differently.
    + Lots of characters who are all very unique.
    + The game has a good story. + Non of the extra side stories feel like padding. + Easy to move lots of characters around now at once. - Issues with the better first game are still here in the 4th game. - The game is extremely unfair and cheap at times. - Rubbish armoured
    + The missions are very creative and play out very differently.
    + Lots of characters who are all very unique.
    + The game has a good story.
    + Non of the extra side stories feel like padding.
    + Easy to move lots of characters around now at once.
    - Issues with the better first game are still here in the 4th game.
    - The game is extremely unfair and cheap at times.
    - Rubbish armoured vehicle controls.
    - AI is really bad.
  19. Jan 29, 2019
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 is my favourite RPG of 2018. The gameplay is still rather unique. Every mission has some great surprises to keep you on your toes. The story tends to punch you in the gut when you least expect it. This game is a true gem.
  20. Dec 4, 2018
    Fantastic game for sure. Even more difficult then the first VC. If it wasnt for same two meta trolls using multi accounts, the user score would be 9.0+, they are bitter about the tank not being made of cast iron, literally has nothing to do with the game.
    The only downside is no battle valkyria for your own team, they fixed this however with DLC and you get THREE valkyrias if you include a certain someone from the first vc
  21. May 15, 2019
    I was very much looking forward to this, having greatly enjoyed the first game years ago, but unfortunately with the small (miniscule) amount of improvement here it ends up feeling like a rehash. Don't get me wrong, the story and campaign are completely original and feature new characters and a few new mechanics. But pretty early it starts to feel overly familiar, and with the repetitiveI was very much looking forward to this, having greatly enjoyed the first game years ago, but unfortunately with the small (miniscule) amount of improvement here it ends up feeling like a rehash. Don't get me wrong, the story and campaign are completely original and feature new characters and a few new mechanics. But pretty early it starts to feel overly familiar, and with the repetitive nature of the dialogue and the constant intrusion of tutorials and cutscenes, it becomes a chore to play this game.

The mandatory tutorials are especially tedious considering that most of the gameplay is identical to the first entry. So returning players will be mashing X to speed through them, but in the event that you fail a mission you will be forced to sit through all these tutorials again. The same goes for the cutscenes, which would be more cute and charming by way of introducing a new enemy or mechanic if they weren't overly wordy. As things stand you will grow tired of seeing the characters constantly interrupt the flow of battle. I wish the game kept note of which tutorials and cutscenes you've viewed before and offered a menu option to not present them again if you retry a mission at the very least.

As for the actual gameplay and battles, if you've played Valkyria Chronicles 1 there won't be much here to surprise you. Even with a few new types of units and more complex battlefields, each battle usually devolves into simple trial and error. And the enemy A.I. is too easy by far so you are rarely punished for overextending to the point of having to retry or even change deployment positions. By contrast, the few new mechanics introduced are often confusing or ineffective, so you'll often fall back on tried-and-true strategies instead of experimenting.

The story gets some points for more a diverse cast, featuring grunts but also more officers. However, it is presented in such a simple fashion that it's not likely any of these characters will become anyone's favorite. At best it's tolerable, at worst it can be obnoxious.

Hardcore fans of VC1 will find a more-of-the-same type enjoyment here, but all others are encouraged to skip this and just buy the original, which features a much more enjoyable story.
  22. Feb 8, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game! It requires a lot of strategy and they finally did something about the 1 turn scout missions. There are many new objectives in missions and the eastern front makes an exciting setting. The cast is great aldo the main villain could've used better motives. He wishes that people stop using valkyria's for wars but uses them himself way more then the federation did. It makes him look like an hypocrite. Ultimately however I really enjoyed this game. Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2019
    It's great when it's still Valkyria chronical, with an enough improvement in both gameplay, graphic, characters and story, include of some fanservice.
  24. Mar 13, 2019
    Great game, I feel that allot of people just don't have the intelligence or patience to appreciate these types of games, I blame the parents tbh, but for those of us able to use our brain for more than basic motor skills, and hand eye coordination can appreciate an amazing game when it comes around, this game is for the gamers who enjoy playing games, not playing walking sims, angry birds,Great game, I feel that allot of people just don't have the intelligence or patience to appreciate these types of games, I blame the parents tbh, but for those of us able to use our brain for more than basic motor skills, and hand eye coordination can appreciate an amazing game when it comes around, this game is for the gamers who enjoy playing games, not playing walking sims, angry birds, and battle royals, amazing story, characters, maps, upgrades, and gameplay, great job Sega, great job. Expand
  25. Feb 23, 2019
    The fact that 10 years after the legendary PS3 episode (and also after 2 PSP episodes) the game remains so similar to the original game, is a testament to just how perfect the formula already was. Sega made the right decision not to change a winning formula and delivered the long awaited sequel fans had been dreaming for ! Epic, addictive and fun, Valkyria Chronicles 4 even managed toThe fact that 10 years after the legendary PS3 episode (and also after 2 PSP episodes) the game remains so similar to the original game, is a testament to just how perfect the formula already was. Sega made the right decision not to change a winning formula and delivered the long awaited sequel fans had been dreaming for ! Epic, addictive and fun, Valkyria Chronicles 4 even managed to better the original, thanks to its larger maps and campaign. Brilliant ! Expand
  26. Apr 23, 2019
    Valkyria Chronicles 4 is the cultivation of everything done right in the previous games. Watercolor artstyle, unique turn-based gameplay, heartbreaking story, orchestral soundtrack are back and made me feel at home. My only disappointment with the game is the characters from VC3 didn't make an appearance, nor were they mentioned. It's sad to see the PSP titles being mistreated like that by SEGA.
  27. Aug 18, 2019
    I was a fan of VC1 but this one is a huge disappointment. From the plot that seems non-existent in a couple of first missions (I mean, a bunch of teens we don’t know anything about are thrown into a war and we are suppose to root for them? Sure, in the course of action we get to know them and their backstories, but the cast of characters is not very likeable to begin with, so unlike theI was a fan of VC1 but this one is a huge disappointment. From the plot that seems non-existent in a couple of first missions (I mean, a bunch of teens we don’t know anything about are thrown into a war and we are suppose to root for them? Sure, in the course of action we get to know them and their backstories, but the cast of characters is not very likeable to begin with, so unlike the first installment with memorable Alicia who easily still tops any waifu ranking.), to cringy plot lines (really, I never new what real cringe was before this game), to no changes to the gameplay, to laughable AI that actually made me feel sad at the realisation I’m wasting my time in a world that doesn’t even try to pretend it exists for anything else than my amusement. The last point is an explanation of why they didn’t change the ridiculous scoring system: if you take too long to finish the missions you realise how artificial and staged all of the combat is. This could maybe work as a mission pack to VC1, but as a fourth instalment, it’s a bit like a slap in the face. Expand

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    A funny action turn-based strategy taking place in an alternative World War I. Imaginative missions, weapon and character development and stylish graphics. [Issue#290]
  2. Oct 29, 2018
    Even if you're not already a fan, Valkyria Chronicles 4's engaging story and interesting characters will win you over with a WW2-inspired setting that doesn't shy away from dark subject matter. For veterans of the series, this new chapter will give you a good run for your money, despite some unintuitive menus and wonky character mechanics.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Oct 28, 2018
    Valkyria Chronicles has had a rocky history in the West, with the third game never even hitting our shores, but Valkyria Chronicles 4 is just what the fans ordered. [Issue#155, p.96]