4.2

1. Dec 13, 2019
    Since Dungeon Master, i always liked the dungeon crawlers games. I like the way these type of games feels.
    Vaporum is pretty cool, but it's way too short, and it lacks of puzzles moments, i hope the prequel will be much longer. With more monsters and enigmas.
  2. Dec 28, 2019
    I had Vaporum on my list for quite a while now but didnt do the grab, until the recent PSN sale. Classic dungeon crawlers are pretty rare nowadays and on consoles the situation is even worse. So I took my adventure within Vaporum and its steampunk-ish world of attacking robots, deadly traps, harsh puzzles and amazing artstyle. I rated this 8.5 and finally gave it a 9 in here but 8 would beI had Vaporum on my list for quite a while now but didnt do the grab, until the recent PSN sale. Classic dungeon crawlers are pretty rare nowadays and on consoles the situation is even worse. So I took my adventure within Vaporum and its steampunk-ish world of attacking robots, deadly traps, harsh puzzles and amazing artstyle. I rated this 8.5 and finally gave it a 9 in here but 8 would be also considerable.

First of all the game ran perfectly smooth on my PS4 Pro SSD. No hiccups, no slowdowns, no bluescreens, no loading issues (2-6 seconds per load or area swap). The engine itself provides an amazing artwork quality with nice special effects. The developers did an outstanding work by capturing the heart of steampunk and putting it in a scenario that reminded me a little bit of oldschool horror movies like Cube. The atmosphere overall is spectacular and provides a dense feeling with some nasty surprises here and there. The sound is pumping and delivers a supreme feeling to the good base quality of the game but could use a little more variety.

Controls have been critized by a lot of people but I do not really see why that would be a point. This game is grid based and you move via stick or cursor taps to the left, right, back or front. Actionable pieces are shown when you trigger the shoulder button and the cursor is already snapped in position. Some menuing could be optimized but in my opinion there is absolutely nothing to worry when it comes to console controls, something that is for myself really important.

The story is interesting and will develop as you wander deeper and deeper through the dungeons by textbooks or voice tapes that are found by the player. I mostly click these away but I enjoyed it quite a lot in Vaporum. The voice acting is very good. Character development follows different mixable possibilities from dual wielder, to gunman or mage-like types. Level points are a bit scarce in my opinion. In ended up with level 15 at the end which means 2 of maybe 8 (or even 10?) talent trees can be completely maxed and one by half. I read somwhere that 16 is actually max but I m not 100% sure of that. Puzzles are sometimes a bit hard, depends on how good you are with these types of stuff. Enemies vary a lot and are interestingly matched to weapon types or magic, providing a decent paper-stone-scissors principle.

I was unsure whether to give it 7, 8 or even 9 points. The game has some flaws and is in my opinion really hard at times depending on your playstyle and chacter build. The final fight and some rooms are considerably hard. You find ammo and health packs but I feel that a casual player on normal will probably run into problems here. Some backtracking passages I didnt like either which is why I reduced the score in general by 2 points but I really think this game deservs around 8.5

After all Vaporum is a considerably well made dungeon crawler that provides an outstanding steampunk-ish horror-esque experience that is worthwhile for 6 to 15hrs depending on playstyle and experience. Vaporum Lockdown will hopefully feature some more variety and game length but keep on with what they did well on this one.

I would definitely buy this one again but would advise to wait for a decent sale.

1. Jul 8, 2019
    Vaporum with its console port again proves that retro grid style dungeon crawlers aren’t dead yet. It retains core pros of its genre, while masterfully putting the player into eerie steampunk environment.
  2. May 2, 2019
    It isn’t normally my style of game but even I was hard pressed to put the controller down at times, some of those nights being work nights. If dungeon crawlers are your thing, buy this game, if steampunk is your thing, buy this game, if both are your thing, buy this game. At $30 rounded up it’s a pretty decent price, for a pretty decent game. Or, play it smart and wait for a Steam or PSN sale and it become absolutely worth it.
  3. Apr 29, 2019
    There are two things you need to know about Vaporum, first this is actually a great experience! second you need to overlook some issues to enjoy it completely, not a lot of games do what this game does, so why don't you give it a try, you may discover something you like more than you thought you will do.