6.4

1. Aug 26, 2018
    Originally played this on PC, and thought it would be a good addition on PS4 Pro for the couch co-op. Waited for the physical disk release (as I prefer the box art,) and don't have a fast broadband connection - hence faster disk install! But, no - wait - there isn't actually any game data on the fecking disk! Now waiting over +10 hours to download either the entire digital copy or a 21GbOriginally played this on PC, and thought it would be a good addition on PS4 Pro for the couch co-op. Waited for the physical disk release (as I prefer the box art,) and don't have a fast broadband connection - hence faster disk install! But, no - wait - there isn't actually any game data on the fecking disk! Now waiting over +10 hours to download either the entire digital copy or a 21Gb day-1 patch?!... Either way, it's a load of old **** Rubbish marketing practices.

Oh wait, there's more. Another 3Gb update on top of the initial 21Gb..! Wank.

Co-op play is not the best, as the 2nd player cannot import their character, but rather has to chose from 9 preset loadouts. Even then, the game hard crashes a few seconds after mission loads. Come on. Sort your **** out.

Finally managed to get a few co-op games in, and now starting to enjoy the game. (Therefore increased my score accordingly). Still a lot of issues, like game crashing before mission starts, or worse, at the end, resulting in lost loot..! There's a good game here, but the developers need to work towards reaching the game's potential.
  2. Aug 28, 2018
    Upon booting up the game you’ll have to provide your email address, which is cool, whatever; send me emails that’ll likely sit in my spam folder to die until I change providers every so many years. This requires you to activate your account, and failing to do so will prevent you from logging back into the game. I actually tried to do this, even having the email sent additional times andUpon booting up the game you’ll have to provide your email address, which is cool, whatever; send me emails that’ll likely sit in my spam folder to die until I change providers every so many years. This requires you to activate your account, and failing to do so will prevent you from logging back into the game. I actually tried to do this, even having the email sent additional times and clicking the link, getting a message that I was good to go, and then yet again, receiving the same error message upon logging in. Having the email resent gives me another error that I have already registered the account. This is the loop I have been stuck in and have honestly spent almost as much time trying to get into the game as I did playing it.

If the title didn’t give it away, this is based upon the popular table top board game Warhammer 40,000, which I honestly have very little experience with outside of a few past games from the franchise. If you’re like me, this probably isn’t the best jumping off point into the world story-wise, as I was lost before the initial cut scene was completed and the mid mission information provided only made things worse, as it is presented in an awkward manner. You’ll receive updates regularly from commanding officers, who apparently are only able to send emails, since there was no voice over present (I’m unsure if this was a glitch or how the game was intended, but it was uniform throughout the missions I was able to complete), yet they can hear your character’s verbal responses. Don’t get me wrong, I am not affected by adult illiteracy, I simply came here to kick butt and take names, not read long winded love letters.

The game is akin to a Diablo clone more than a twin stick shooter, but includes the option of taking cover at any time within the game world. This was a strange combination of past games in the franchise. I struggled to wrap my brain around this having played Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, which was a legit Gears of War clone, as well as Kill Team, which was a twin stick shooter that I simply loved during the days of the Xbox 360. The cover mechanic works as it should, but is unnecessary as I would’ve preferred the freedom to use the second stick to free aim as I mowed through enemy waves. The developers seemed to think that walking head first into the direction you wish to shoot was a better use of resources, but I found this change to be extremely hard to adapt to. On the plus side, the characters are fairly bullet spongey and have decent auto aim abilities, making the cover mechanic almost pointless. Even during more challenging encounters such as boss battles, I rarely found myself in danger of dying on the standard difficulty, even when ignoring the mechanic altogether. The missions themselves are fairly short, each running between five and fifteen minutes, and require somewhat lengthy load screens from the main menu, as the title skipped the open world train. These missions are uninspired but passable, featuring the standard tropes for the genre, such as killing X number of enemies, protecting specific NPCs, flipping a switch, or destroying something.

Much like any Diablo inspired game, there are a few different classes to choose from when selecting a character, but outside of the class and sub class, the customization options are limited to renaming the character. Regardless of the sub class you pick, you can interchange items seemingly without issues having selected a shotgun/sniper rifle proficient class from the get go. While I stuck with the vanilla build for a few levels, I quickly found that the automatic and laser rifles were more my speed. Following the typical formula of dungeon crawling games, you will also have a skill tree to throw your earned XP towards, unlocking class specific abilities. While there are plenty of options to be found, none of the ones I acquired felt overly original.

The visual presentation is a mixed bag, with highly detailed environments ripe for exploration and mediocre character models, so much so that I often felt they were ripped from a PS3 era game (at best) and incorporated into the much prettier backdrops. This doesn’t stand out much during actual gameplay due to the panned out view that makes the lack of detail the character models offer to be slightly less ugly, but the game looks atrocious in any of the cut scenes rendered using in game assets. While the actual models are passable, when compared to the small details that other games get right, this fails miserably. The biggest callout was my character’s ponytail (again, I didn’t pick the look, just the abilities). It looked like a broken compass pointing any which way it wanted opposed to locks of flowing hair, rivaling the hair physics from the original Tomb Raider.

If you want to take the plunge, I say you should wait for a sale and be sure you resolve the email registration issue early on to avoid losing progress.
  3. Sep 7, 2018
    I am a big Warhammer 40,000 fan. I want to preface everything that comes after this with that statement. Inquisitor martyr is a Diablo-esque 3rd person action RPG. You spend your time filling the boots of an Inquisitor trying to fight back against the forces of Chaos plaguing the sector. The concept is a fun one that the execution leaves something to be desired.

You can play as a

You can play as a crusader (warrior), a psyker (wizard), or an assassin (rogue). The game has a cover and suppression mechanic that adds something different to the mix but ultimately it just feels like a less fluid execution of Diablo 3.

People who aren't fans of the Warhammer 40,000 lore will probably have more fun just playing Diablo 3. People who are fans the Warhammer 40,000 lore might be annoyed by some elements conflicting with established lore; things in the game such as human Inquisitor fighting and killing multiple chaos Space Marines per level.

Another annoyance is that the game doesn't focus nearly as heavily as it should on story. A lot of what you'll end up doing is trudging through randomly-generated dungeons. But I personally enjoy crafted levels and tons of Storytelling elements.

You can tell that the game is a port from a PC game. Handling is a little clumsy and when you attack it focuses on an enemy. Especially annoying with melee attack considering you walk over to the enemy you're targeting, even if they're far away, before attacking as opposed to just swinging your chainsword as soon as the button is pressed.

One last complaint is that if you're playing alone you can't have a computer-controlled companion. You can play local co-op, but your friend can't save their progress. You can also play online with other players. Again, drawing the parallel to Diablo 3, the NPC's you could have following you around had a lot of backstory and some modest dialogue options.

It's probably worth a rent, especially if you're into Warhammer 40,000, but probably not worth buying unless they make some major improvements.
  4. Jun 1, 2019
    The game is not a bad one but its tutorial is one of the worst I have ever seen. It’s really unclear how the developers paid so little attention to explain to newcomers how to play their game properly in order to enjoy it :(! At first I was frustrated after playing for three hours and was going to delete the game. It’s good I decided not to do so. Playing the game began being interestingThe game is not a bad one but its tutorial is one of the worst I have ever seen. It’s really unclear how the developers paid so little attention to explain to newcomers how to play their game properly in order to enjoy it :(! At first I was frustrated after playing for three hours and was going to delete the game. It’s good I decided not to do so. Playing the game began being interesting after playing for 4-5 hours (when I understood how to manage everything). I’m certain if the developers had done a better tutorial, the game would be more popular now.
    After finishing the main story, I tried to enjoy playing the first season. However, it wasn’t as good as the main story. The loot became worse and the missions became harder. Too much grinding with little fun. Maybe it would be more fun if I played in coop.
    Игра не плохая. Но объяснение, введение в игру отвратительное; со временем во всем можно разобраться. Внимание: побочные квесты/мини компании со своим сюжетом в этой игре появляются с прохождением основной компании (вполне интересно сделаны); не путайте их со случайно генерируемыми миссиями на планетах (в которых сложность в начале игры неадекватна; на них лучше забить сразу и так лута без них много). Основной сюжет вроде есть, но играю без русификации. Графика игры - норм, не вау, но и не фу. Музыка - норм, все тоже самое. Вообще если бы разработчики посерьёзней отнеслись к введению для игрока в основные механики игры, игру бы встретили теплее. Пока один глюк был, но не фатальный на сохранение не повлиял. Играю без коопа.
    После прохождения основной компании игра быстро наскучивает, если играть одному. В первом сезоне лут становится значительно хуже, миссии сложнее.., искусственно затягивается геймплей. Но если оценивать основную компанию, то игрушка не плохая.

1. Oct 17, 2018
    Although it excels over others when it comes to story, Martyr is still not good enough in some aspects that are too important to its genre, they cannot be overlooked.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 23, 2018
    If Martyr was the Warhammer game you’ve been waiting for, it’s likely to disappoint. [Issue#154, p.80]
  3. Sep 17, 2018
    If you're looking for longevity then look no further. The lore is interesting enough to continue playing. The audiovisual design is well done and even though the game is pretty difficult, newcomers won't be scared off by it. Technically there are plenty of issues. Frame rate hiccups, long load times, a copious amount of screen tearing and lacklustre matchmaking are our major gripes.