6.7

1. Dec 23, 2018
    This game deserves a decent 8, heres why I voted for 10:

First of all I struggled for a while until I bought it at a sale, got the Imperial Package for my PS4 Pro. My first impressions of the game were mixed but really good, after a while it became a bit monotoneous and then ended pretty cool. I m playing on the latest patch level of course and I think this game does not deserve a
    This game deserves a decent 8, heres why I voted for 10:

I m playing on the latest patch level of course and I think this game does not deserve a lot of the **** it gets. The level design and artwork is outstanding for genre fans of sci fi and/or warhammer. I m not even a warhammer fan but its really appealing and has a ton of nice details. The gore factor is also pretty cool when you pump bullets into enemies. Same goes to the weapon design. From slashing blades to laser rifles or axes there is much to see. Even dual wielding works decently and can also combine multiple weapon types. This is not often to be seen in nowadays games.

The sound is a blast although the soundtrack is a bit weaker. After all the atmosphere is still top notch. The gameplay is pretty straight forward. You enter levels of different types. Some need you to rescue, some to destroy, some to kill. Variety is is okay but could ve been better. The storyline itself is decent and the cutscenes are state of the art, very nice. The story is not that deep in comparison to genre kings but it is well enough. You pick up loot, you level up and specialize you character. Theres loads of different things you can specialize on!

Fighting is a bit clunky at times but it doesnt deserve the **** it gets. I feel like some people and also magazine reviewers seem overly critical when it comes to that. Yes, sometimes you aim the wrong detail, yes sometimes it makes you run in a wrong direction but its minor and you can control it. If you know what you are doing it is simply not a problem.

Length is okay too. I finished the game with my rifler and some side missions in around 15 hrs I think. I played most missions on normal, hard or hard+1 (forgot the name). Mission grinding does not feel too awardable but its okay.

As a diablo and sci fi fan I m really glad I picked the game up. It could ve used a bit more variety but I liked the gameplay and the bits of story it has. Also it uses all the tech the PS4 has. The gamepads talks to you, the motion light covers your state, the game is also PS4 enhanced and provides 1440p. It has to be mentioned that there are indeed framedrops in special outdoor levels but in general it is smooth and without too much of lagging. For people who want it smooth, they can choose the balanced gameplay then there are no more drops at all.

I highly suggest the game if you like shoot n loot, diablo-ish gameplay and scifi settings. Grab the game at a sale. Also if you dont need specials or cosmetics, just get the basic version and you can save quite a bit of the original pricing.

I really do hope they continue with the series and improve it!
  2. Aug 25, 2018
    Enjoyable ARPG with some novel mechanics and immersive 40K atmosphere. Everyone is comparing this game to Diablo3 but they are missing one crucial point: Diablo3 was a horrible mess at launch and for months to come, this one isn’t. Sure the endgame experience for now is repetitive and grindy but the journey to get there was well worth the money invested. The devs are working on the hiccupsEnjoyable ARPG with some novel mechanics and immersive 40K atmosphere. Everyone is comparing this game to Diablo3 but they are missing one crucial point: Diablo3 was a horrible mess at launch and for months to come, this one isn’t. Sure the endgame experience for now is repetitive and grindy but the journey to get there was well worth the money invested. The devs are working on the hiccups and creating new content – this game has huge potential.

Brothers! War calls you. Will you answer?
  3. Sep 4, 2018
    I played about a 15 hours. It's a really enjoyable game with some technical issues. If you think it's a diablo clone than you're wrong. Unique game mechanics, cool graphics and good story.

Mod: I finished the Martyr storyline. It's really awesome.
  4. Aug 24, 2018
    Good solid DIablo like game. I may appreciate it more than someone who have never played Warhammer. Fans of the 40K universe like me should definitely give it a shot but it can be a fun game for those who like this type of gameplay.
  5. Nov 22, 2018
    Do you like Diablo style crawlers AND are you a fan of the WH40K Universe and lore? Yes then, like me you will likely enjoy this game. No? Then this will not be for you. Personally I have had more than my moneys worth and am still playing.
  6. May 8, 2019
    I bought Warhammer on 4/26/19, 7 months after release. It is a Diablo Clone and if you are a fan of either or both, this is a fun game... There is so much content and Galaxies to discover and complete missions. My issues are set experience points for completing a mission, not earning experience points for kills. Leveling up is after the mission and gear equipment is also after missions. II bought Warhammer on 4/26/19, 7 months after release. It is a Diablo Clone and if you are a fan of either or both, this is a fun game... There is so much content and Galaxies to discover and complete missions. My issues are set experience points for completing a mission, not earning experience points for kills. Leveling up is after the mission and gear equipment is also after missions. I like the fact that the Story Missions are only single player, giving you a challenge in the story mode, making it more of a challenge then having a OP (Over Powered) friend come in and beat the story mode for you. Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2018
    I very much enjoyed this game. My friends and I are all lifelong Warhammer players and we all love this game. Coop works well and I've seen very little technical issues. Yes, it is flawed and can become repetitive, but this game has lots of content to give. It is very similar to your standard ARPG.

The gear system may seem a little puzzling but has a purpose. Stats matter most, but there is a generic "power rating" to allow one to progress in the game without relying on lucky drops. It's amazing to see the armies of Chaos come together in a game like this, and the setting it truly dripping with Warhammer ambiance. The graphics are good and the story line is awesome. Requirement to proved email is irksome, but takes minutes (and must be done for lost of games nowadays - what else is new?).

Most ranged and melee weapons of the Imperium are usable (sadly, power fists are not.) There is crafting, customization, PVP, coop, weekly challenges, clans, seasons, and all sorts of RPG mechanics that one expects in a game like this. The enemy character models are amazing. The plethora of cultists, rebels, and Chaos servants is huge. There are multiple Chaos chapters you will face, and the Chaos marines are ominous and tough. You'll fight rebel guardsmen and Ogryns, Hellbrutes and Dreadnoughts, even Leman Russ tanks as bosses. Honestly, the enemy roster will make any Warhammer nerd freak, and there is deep and informative lore. The fact that rogue traders are spoken of, not to mention the fact that the Inquisition is a part of Warhammer that is often underappreciated, really shows the love for the universe.

All in all, this is a good game, but is nowhere near a perfect game. However, many of the complaints for this game are about mechanics that are inherent with any dungeon crawler. My quick comparison is Helldivers meets Diablo with a WH40k flavor. This game does not break and new boundaries, but i is a much needed type of experience for WH fans.If you're a 40k fan and have been looking for an actual RPG to play in the universe, look no further.

1. Oct 17, 2018
    Although it excels over others when it comes to story, Martyr is still not good enough in some aspects that are too important to its genre, they cannot be overlooked.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Sep 23, 2018
    If Martyr was the Warhammer game you’ve been waiting for, it’s likely to disappoint. [Issue#154, p.80]
  3. Sep 17, 2018
    If you're looking for longevity then look no further. The lore is interesting enough to continue playing. The audiovisual design is well done and even though the game is pretty difficult, newcomers won't be scared off by it. Technically there are plenty of issues. Frame rate hiccups, long load times, a copious amount of screen tearing and lacklustre matchmaking are our major gripes.