7.6

1. Oct 15, 2015
    A nostalgic dream come true. I echo what one of the 'professional' reviews said. It's a bit rough at first, but if you push through and give it a few, then you'll quickly fall in love with the game. GREAT environment! Decent gameplay, perfect graphics (for what it is), and only 40 bones. If you like old-school games, this is a perfect find!
  2. Oct 17, 2015
    This game takes me back to old school memories. Great game, that is rough to get going and adjust too the controls but once the hooks are in...man so fun. Alright I just got new loot(plays for 2 more hours)
  3. Oct 27, 2015
    I'm not a massive fan of RPG's but every now and then something special comes along. That's exactly what happened when Wasteland 2: Directors cut was finally launched on current gen consoles. The theme and atmosphere of the game are superb and the inspiration from the original Fallout games can't be denied. The combat takes a bit of getting used to if you're not familiar with this type ofI'm not a massive fan of RPG's but every now and then something special comes along. That's exactly what happened when Wasteland 2: Directors cut was finally launched on current gen consoles. The theme and atmosphere of the game are superb and the inspiration from the original Fallout games can't be denied. The combat takes a bit of getting used to if you're not familiar with this type of game but once you get your head around that it's a dream to play. However it's not without its flaws. The camera angles even though you have full control of them can be tricky at times and the map doesn't let you zoom in or out or place any kind of way point marker something I would consider standard on any game that features a map and has you using a map regularly. Towns, villages, people etc are marked on the map but they pretty much look the same. An X for town/village/settlement and a triangle for people. However if you can get around this you're in for a treat. I only wish that developers and publishers alike would be a bit more ballsy and port/develop more games like this to consoles and not leave them all to the PC. Expand
  4. Nov 29, 2015
    It's too bad this game just doesn't have the polish it sorely needs, because the foundation it's built upon is very good. If you are reading these, you know what type of game this is and it is most likely what you are looking for. I will not go into that part of it. I'd just like you to know what baggage it will be carrying with it. While ultimately a fun tactical roleplaying game, theIt's too bad this game just doesn't have the polish it sorely needs, because the foundation it's built upon is very good. If you are reading these, you know what type of game this is and it is most likely what you are looking for. I will not go into that part of it. I'd just like you to know what baggage it will be carrying with it. While ultimately a fun tactical roleplaying game, the learning curve and general clunkiness make it unnecessarily difficult. It took memany hours ro figure out basic gameplay stuff that would've been handy to know from the beginning. Trying to use the skill wheel on the appropriate item/person with the appropriate person took a while to get down, for example. The random world battles, while generally fun, never seemed to let me use the whole map. They would always start in the same exact places on the map and would never allow for very much set-up or movement before triggering battle. This game is also fairly buggy and crashed on me many times, always while trying to save. A few of them after lengthy, difficult ones. The good news is, this game has many meaningful options and decisions for quests and character building is very important. Make sure you save often. If the problems and hassles of this game were fixed and it got a nice polishing, I would not hesitate to give this a 9. Unfortunately, despite the love I do have for it I cannot give it more than a 6 in its current condition. Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2016
    A good game in need of a lot of polish. The story is pretty good and the writing is solid. The combat is competent. For those unfamiliar with this genre but are familiar with XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within, it's similar but definitely not the same. The ability to target specific parts of the body adds a greater strategic element to the game as well as the fact that you can move your individualA good game in need of a lot of polish. The story is pretty good and the writing is solid. The combat is competent. For those unfamiliar with this genre but are familiar with XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within, it's similar but definitely not the same. The ability to target specific parts of the body adds a greater strategic element to the game as well as the fact that you can move your individual party members around the battlefield prior to the battle to maximize your advantage.

It's also refreshing that you're not playing as heroes, you're merely protagonists. You still can go around and help people in need, but several major choices are more about picking what you feel is the best of the two evils. Unlike modern Fallout games, not all the stories have a happy ending. This is good in that it makes you wonder which choice is better.

I honestly debated about whether or not I should give it an 7 or an 8 for a while and I simply can't justify an 8. The biggest issue this game has is the stability. This game crashes constantly for no reason multiple times every hour. If I play for an hour, I'm guaranteed a minimum of two crashes within that hour. The fact that this game only auto-saves when you enter an area makes this even worse. It always crashes when exiting/entering an area (before auto-saving), when you're manually saving, or when you're loading mid-game. This issue is even worse if you have a lucky moment where you go through a couple hours without a crash because you will likely lose a good amount of progress as a result.

Wait until it's $20 or until it's actually stable before purchasing. The sheer number of sudden hard crashes I've had has made the $40 I paid feel like $20 too much. It's a 7/10 for me, no question.
  6. Jan 9, 2017
    Definitely an enjoyable game if you're into the genre: story+choices are cool and hard, as fallout should be.
    Character development and combat is OKAY - nothing noteworthy, enjoyable enough.
    The rest holds it together, barely.
  7. Oct 23, 2015
    If you love old school isometric RPGs with turn based combat you will love this game. There's nothing on the PS4 like it which is another reason it's so enjoyable. It's a little rough starting out, so don't get discouraged. Once you invest some time into your Rangers and immerse yourself in the lore, Wasteland 2 really takes off. The controls are as well mapped as they can be for a PC gameIf you love old school isometric RPGs with turn based combat you will love this game. There's nothing on the PS4 like it which is another reason it's so enjoyable. It's a little rough starting out, so don't get discouraged. Once you invest some time into your Rangers and immerse yourself in the lore, Wasteland 2 really takes off. The controls are as well mapped as they can be for a PC game running on a console. That doesn't mean that they aren't awkward and cumbersome at times though. The framerate can get a little iffy at times, but it definitely doesn't make the game unplayable. If you're looking for a deep game that can easily fill your time for 80-100 hours, give Wasteland 2 a shot. Plus it's only $39.99! Thanks for reading. Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2015
    It is a good game, many things improved over the original Wasteland 2. However, it is NOT a great game, still several annoying things exist (covered in other reviews) that hold it back from being a 9 or 10. But it is a good game; fun to play, some very funny dialogue, and a solid plot.
  9. Nov 6, 2015
    Initially it took me a while to get used tot he controls having never played this type of game before. However, once I got the hang of it, it turned out to be quite a lot of fun!
  10. Nov 11, 2015
    Wasteland 2 is a nice trip down memory lane, with regards to turn based combat and the party system of RPG's past. It's worth one play through, as long as you don't pay too much for it.

Beware, however: the game crashes a LOT. Like, at least once or twice per gaming session. It does a good job of auto-saving frequently, so it usually isn't a huge issue, but it is nevertheless very annoying. Other annoying bugs are that the voice acting will cut out very often and leave you trying to read almost impossibly small chat text.

The combat is fun, but it does get pretty repetitive by the time you finish the game.

Overall, a pretty fun throwback, but too many problems to give it higher than a "7".
  11. May 20, 2017
    Walking into Wasteland 2, it wasn't hard to see how much a clusterf*ck this game looks like. But there were a couple things this game taught me while playing it. (Yeah, TAUGHT) One, games these days hold our hands too much with annoying "helpful hints" tutorials. Second, this hand holding has made us afraid of a good challenging game, not something like Dark Souls where dying is theWalking into Wasteland 2, it wasn't hard to see how much a clusterf*ck this game looks like. But there were a couple things this game taught me while playing it. (Yeah, TAUGHT) One, games these days hold our hands too much with annoying "helpful hints" tutorials. Second, this hand holding has made us afraid of a good challenging game, not something like Dark Souls where dying is the f*cking game mechanic...just challenging. Third, you can play and enjoy the hell out of a game, despite that it looks like a PS2 game. (Kind of like getting some, with a person whose got the body, but not the looks. After all, who cares, as long as you have fun right?!) Last, glitches DO NOT BREAK games UNLESS they CAN'T BE PLAYED EVER AGAIN, they only piss you off; so take a walk and get back into it.

With all of that said, Wasteland 2 is a full homage to the original Fallout games. (As a matter of fact, Wasteland was BEFORE Fallout!) Getting into the beginning was a bit difficult, as there are NO WAYPOINTS or FAST TRAVEL, just good ol' "one foot in front of the other" travel, which bothered the hell out of me and I wasted a bit of time simply back tracking in order to get a missed item, etc.
    Along with the ugly character models and really dated visuals I was getting to despise the game.

Then it hit me, this game was purely designed with the retro gamer and Fallout fan in mind. So, I took off my sh*t covered glasses and gave them a good cleaning. And you know what?! This is a great game!

Right away, in the character creation, you given the usual Fallout-like options with perks, stat and skill assignment. Funny enough, you can WRITE you own character's bio. (Mine was Carl Grimes, as I like the Walking Dead show and comics. He was given the whole Sheriff's hat as equipment and as his picture. Pretty cool in my book!) After that, I was given a squad tailored to my liking and thrown into the Nevada wastes to start my journey.

Taking the role of the Nevada's once great peacekeepers, the Desert Rangers. I was given my first task. To solve the murder of a legendary lawman, known as Ace. This along with responding to multiple distress calls from nearby settlements. With a canteen and squad in hand, I started my journey and learned to fight off the raiders and mutated flora and fauna, of the world.

In order to survive the game, I had to learn to assign points to certain skills to each of my squad members. For example, if I had a guy that had good Awareness, I made him a sniper and tailored to those attributes. Along with that I focused on increasing practical skills on one person, like having one specifiic do all of the lockpicking, explosive diffusing or safecracking. To me, it made my gameplay way easier and I haven't had a hitch yet. Between doing this and managing my inventory/loot/ammo takes time, but pays off in the long run. Which made for a satisfying experience when I ended up having a pretty strong group in my hands. My tip for those just getting in, JUST sell your junk and outdated gear. KEEP the useless things like cow/bird poop (seriously, it's an item and a VALUED item at that)
    As for the story, this game is LOADED with cool story material, that not only recaps the events between Wasteland 1 and 2, and really compliments to the overall feeling of the game. Quests are very deep with multiple ways they can be approached and resolved. From outright slaughter to saving a villages with by saving people and bringing peace between clans.
    Combat wise, the game is a turn based strategy, VERY similar to Fallout 1 and 2 for PC. Fighting in the game, stays fluid and only requires you familiarize yourself with hit percentage and the your ability wheels. So long as you are semi smart in the battles, you'll be fine.

As for the overall experience, the music compliments the game well and has that barren waste effect to it. examining and exploring locations is rewarding worth the time, so long as your skills are adequate. Littered with bits of dark humor and easter eggs, Wasteland 2 is a must play for serious gamers and fans of dystopian worlds.

Also, this is probably a game where you'd want to follow an online guide from time to time, to avoid the headache and backtracking. Which is what drives this game score from a perfect, IS THE BACKTRACKING AND GETTING LOST. This title will occupy your time if you get into it...in a good way!
  12. Dec 27, 2015
    I have only played the first large chapter but has been totally absorbed by the feeling of this game, that takes me back to the original fallout games. The missions feel relevant and even though you have to run an incredible long way for small accomplishments sometimes, it is forgiven.

What is not forgiven though, is the crappy voice-producer. Even though they have brought in really good voice-actors there is lots of missing lines and sometimes sidekicks gets better representation then the main characters. This is probably the only setback in an over all great title.
  13. Jan 4, 2016
    Its far from perfect - the graphics are garbage, the game is glitchy as hell, the camera is a pain, combat could be better and the PS4 version seems to crash 3-4 times an hour for me. But in spite of all those issues ultimately the games brilliant charm and creativity shines through and makes for, in many ways, a truer, more satisfying Fallout experience than Fallout 4.

The first half

The first half of the game takes place in Arizona and the second in California. Each half feels large enough that they could have been released as seperate games - albeit two games that differ significantly in quality. The Arizona part of the game is decent enough but its California, with its superbly wacky factions, eerie radio broadcasts and larger, more interesting settlements that elevate the game to near classic status.

To go back to the Fallout 4 comparison. Some of the main things Wasteland 2 does better:

- Dialogue, there are far more NPCs with something to say, and you have far more options of what to say to them. Including additional dialogue options that become available based on your conversational skills. Something that was in previous Fallout games but that I didnt experience once in my 60 hours or so with Fallout 4.

- The skill system feels deeper and more important. There just seems to be far more occasions In Wasteland where being able to crack a safe, hack a computer or pick a lock can actually have significant effects on how you approach a quest.

- The humor, Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas werent afraid to put tongue firmly in cheek at times. Wasteland 2 takes it even further still with heaps of pop culture references and some ridiculously OTT characters and moments. Fallout 4 on the other hand, plays it almost completely straight throughout, coming across more as a generic action game.

- Wasteland 2s world, California particularly, is full of brilliant, unique oddball factions and colourful whack job characters that make Fallouts equivalents mostly seem rather bland.

- The world. Of course Fallouts world is much bigger with far more settlements and actual proper open world to be explored. But Wasteland 2's locations generally feel more well developed with a backstory, talkative NPCs, plenty of quests and often some kind of overarching dynamic/conflict/politics that make them feel like true living, breathing places. Fallout 4 may have countless different points on the map to go to, but the majority of them are copy and paste subways, abandoned towns, truck stops etc with nothing but loot and some enemies to kill.

- The radio. Fallout 4 has more music, but Wasteland uses its radio as an actual tool to tell stories and paint a vivid picture of the surrounding world. Whether its adverts for stores, hotels or casinos in a nearby settlement, various factions preaching their dogma and threatening each other, or just unintelligible weirdness.

So all in all. If you're a fan of Fallout 1-2, a fan of isometric RPGs in general or just dissatisfied with Fallout 4, this is definitely worth checking out providing you dont mind the slow start and some of the games technical shortcomings (without which the game would be a solid 9)

Bring on Wasteland 3!
  14. Nov 2, 2015
    Just finished the game. Gameplay and story are ok. In fact, it is kinda fun to walk down memory lane with it's retro/ old Skool gameplay and over the top, 80's style action b film story. Gameplay is completely turn based, and works well and provides a nice, chess like challange. Only problem with the actual gameplay for me was the lack of any in game minimap. Otherwise, no complains there.Just finished the game. Gameplay and story are ok. In fact, it is kinda fun to walk down memory lane with it's retro/ old Skool gameplay and over the top, 80's style action b film story. Gameplay is completely turn based, and works well and provides a nice, chess like challange. Only problem with the actual gameplay for me was the lack of any in game minimap. Otherwise, no complains there. Technically however, it is a complete turkey on ps4. There seems to be some sort of memory leak which will make the game crawl after playing for 30+ minutes, and since the game looks like a late ps2 game this is kinda embarrassing. Over the duration of game (70 plus hours) the game also crashed multiple times. Navigating the menu in game can also become quite laggy, and there is an annoying lag between pressing the thumb stick to move your character, and the character actually moving on screen. Good thing is there seems to be a patch in the works. Having said that, the game can be very fun at times, but because of the technical short comings I rate this game 4/10. Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2016
    After damonta part ( 20-30% of game) game is unstable. Crash every 20-40 minutes. It is almost not playable at this point. Also some features are missing compare to pc version. It is unfinished product. I strongly suggest to avoid it on ps4, better buy it on PC. Game itself is great but not on console.
  16. Nov 26, 2016
    Five Word Review: Sometimes nostalgia is just awesome.
    Favorite Thing: The game is perfectly reminiscent of classic Fallout, only modernized.
    Least Favorite Thing: In desperate need of a respec feature.

Playtime: ~ 66h
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Recommendation: SRPG and CRPG fans will love it
  17. Oct 29, 2015
    Great game. Well done as an Iso-RPG on the console. It brings back the feeling of the old days of RPGs, which I wish there were more games like it. I just wish it was longer and there were more NPCs to choose from as companions.
  18. Mar 21, 2016
    Old School Video Game converted from PC to PS4.

No longer a mouse movement clickfest!!!
    Turn based combat!!!!
    Excessive skill usage that affect gameplay!!!!
    Constant micromanaging of inventory!!!!
    Ammunition is scarce!!!!!!!
    Actually trying to be the good guy!!!

In my world this is what a true RPG is.
  19. Oct 25, 2015
    An "A" for effort PC port which falls horribly flat in this day and age. Wasteland 2 is deliberately dated to a bygone age of isometric turn based RPGs. Fallout 2 was very dear to my heart, but that was 15 years ago and this is the squad based version of that.
    The controls don't translate well to console, the way the camera works is shonky and the menus, inventory, perks, character, well lets just say without a mouse its more than a chore.
    I only put a couple of hours into it, I won't lie, I only got up to the AG Centre and having to deal with the poison gas and exploding flowers and I just said 'Nope, not doing this' and deleted it from my hard drive.
    Old school is old school, and this is old school but it just doesn't work well. Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition did the port right and frankly if Wasteland 2: Directors Cut took a page out of Blizzard's book the game would've worked a lot better. I will be getting a refund on this one.
  20. Oct 29, 2015
    Amazing game, but can we have more portraits for consoles please?? Or at least give us an option to shoot a picture like in PC version. Also the texts could be twice bigger (than the very big option already). Other than that game is neat.
  21. Nov 3, 2015
    Very good game. It's one of those games that initially isn't particularly user friendly, but once you understand how everything works within the game, it's a ton of fun.
    I really like the decision trees within the game. It's something that I feel is done quite well. If you like tactical rpgs, you're sure to enjoy Wasteland 2.
  22. Oct 18, 2016
    Just finished this game, and it was brilliant. The story sucks you in and god knows how many hours i've poured into it, but its definitely between fifty and a hundred i would guess. If you like turned based strategy games and old school role playing games you will love it, and even if you don't, I think most would enjoy this as the story and writing is so strong.

There are two

There are two downsides. Firstly it crashes more than it should, so you need to save regularly. Second, the first four hours are a bit of a ball ache. You have to spend time researching online and carefully building your team so that you get a good balance from the start, and then the beginning of the game is also a bit bewildering at first when you set out. There is lots of info online to help you out though, and believe me when i say it's more than worth it. I haven't even considered playing anything else for weeks.
    Must buy, and roll on number 3!
  23. Apr 3, 2016
    Great game.
    Think of Fallout Tactics or Jagged Alliance in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Interesting plot, very good gameplay. Pros: - game mechanics! Love them! - interesting characters and plot. Reminds me of Fallout 1-2, but with a group of mercs. - quite long game, more different ways to play it. Cons: - it did bug out sometimes on my Linux machine and the game just dropped
    Great game.
    Think of Fallout Tactics or Jagged Alliance in a post-apocalyptic world.
    Interesting plot, very good gameplay.

Pros:
    - game mechanics! Love them!
    - quite long game, more different ways to play it.

Cons:
    - it did bug out sometimes on my Linux machine and the game just dropped instead of saving.
    - the recruitable NPCs are ... underwhelming to say the least :-/
  24. Feb 21, 2019
    Fantastic gameplay, and story. The views can be a bit wonky, and I experienced the occasional bug for which I knocked a point off..but otherwise it's great.
  25. May 13, 2019
    Why can they fix a broken toaster but they can't fix a broken save process? This game is a 9 and not a 10 for one and only one reason: crash. As you get further and further into the game, it starts to crash while saving. This is a well documented problem that I, my brother and best friend all had with the game on our separate systems. I even beat the game, saved after the final battle andWhy can they fix a broken toaster but they can't fix a broken save process? This game is a 9 and not a 10 for one and only one reason: crash. As you get further and further into the game, it starts to crash while saving. This is a well documented problem that I, my brother and best friend all had with the game on our separate systems. I even beat the game, saved after the final battle and had it crash, making me do the final battle all over again.
    Now with that said, everything else is grand. If you loved the first Wasteland then this is a must play. I was absolutely dumbfounded that this game turned out as good as it did. The first Wasteland was a generational monument in gaming. To come out with a direct sequel (as many of you know the Fallout series is derived from the first Wasteland) almost 30 years later...it seemed impossible for this game to live up to the expectations but it did; it even surpassed them.
    If you never played the first Wasteland and are a younger gamer, there is no doubt a lot of the humor in this game will fly straight over your head and the gameplay may feel a tad archaic, but this still is a fun game and, like I said, a must play if you played the first Wasteland. If you did play the first Wasteland, then you already know what to expect and this game is the sequel you have been waiting for.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Dec 16, 2015
    An enjoyably grotty world hampered by unintuitive controls. [Christmas 2015, p.87]
  2. Nov 16, 2015
    The game places trust in the moral, philosophical, and intellectual response of the audience.
  3. Nov 4, 2015
    As I put in more time, the game kept opening up and more of my own light bulbs lit with the realization of potential.