• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Dec 6, 2016
  • Also On: PC
7.1

1. Feb 5, 2017
    It's an absolute travesty that this game has received anything less than a 9 from both critics and users and I implore everyone with any VR system to buy it and try it.

I downloaded this game due to it being one of only a few PSVR games I hadn't yet played. My expectations were pretty low and, in a general sense, I hate online multiplayer games. Within an hour of playing, Werewolves Within became my favorite VR game for any headset, and as someone who worked in the VR industry I've played nearly all of them. Not only that, but without any hyperbole at all, I can say this will go down as one of my favorite video game experiences in the 30 years I've been a hardcore player.

The gameplay is dead simple as the only mechanic is talking. The rules appear complex at first but are really very easy to understand after a few matches. Fundamentally, this is a game of sitting around a campfire building alliances, and deceiving others. Lots and lots of deception. If you've ever dreamed of being a trial attorney, this is as close as you're going to get without passing the bar. You're either a werewolf or not and regardless of your game assigned role, it's up to you to convince others you're on their team. A match lasts about 10 minutes.

For the most part, everyone is civil and attempting to play the game in earnest. When you get a great group, you'll spend hours with them and make some great online friends. There are a few things to be aware of, however. Just like IRL, there is an absurdly high chance that many of the people sitting around a campfire and arguing about who is a werewolf are stoned and/or drunk (myself included). It's utterly hilarious but it can quickly get out of control (usually the drunk ones, but you can vote to kick them).

There aren't many bugs or flaws but there are a few things to be aware of for parents. While this seems like a general audience game and good for children, it's a double edged sword. On one hand I really think it can help with social interactions and anxiety and, for a video game, is a safe and somewhat less wasteful way to spend time. On the other hand, the aforementioned drunk players will often use bad language and inappropriate slurs the like of which you'd hear in a move rated R. Additionally, you really need to be comfortable with your children playing a game exclusively about lying and deception. If I had kids over the age of 12, I'd let them play but not without a serious discussion beforehand and a promise that they would leave any group of "bad people".

As someone who values intellect, group leadership and strong interpersonal bonds above most else, I find this "game" nothing short of a revelation that will stick with me for decades. This really does represent a defining moment in technology and digital human interaction while being the most fun you can have on a Saturday night. Ubisoft deserves a lot of credit for bankrolling such an innovation and Red Storm just became my favorite developer of 2017. The team at Red Storm is extraordinary and I hope to meet them one day soon.

You owe it to yourself to buy and play this game, it's more fun than you've probably ever had playing a game and you'll be a part of something that is destined to become a historic milestone in the advancement of technology. There is zero reason not to be a part of this experience.
  2. Jan 17, 2017
    Werewolves Within is one of the best games I ever played. Not just the best VR game. It brings back fun in games. Where other games claim to deliver a different experience every time you play it, this is actually true for this game. The visuals are really good, but even without looking good it would be so much fun. The experience of playing it far surpasses any other. Being social andWerewolves Within is one of the best games I ever played. Not just the best VR game. It brings back fun in games. Where other games claim to deliver a different experience every time you play it, this is actually true for this game. The visuals are really good, but even without looking good it would be so much fun. The experience of playing it far surpasses any other. Being social and hanging out, actually having to participate in order to win. I could even see this game helping the more social awkward people become more social. This game is pure fun and anyone with a VR headset should buy it. Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2016
    Has a few glitches, but overall functions well and is a lot of fun to play. Can be a little complicated and takes a while to learn all the various roles. But very rewarding to those willing to learn. You WILL laugh, but it will take a few matches to "get it".
  4. Dec 8, 2016
    Very pleasant and cool game to play. To win or avoid suspicion, you have to be verbally strong to defend yourself. It's not a real issue for most players, but when English isn't your native language you need to get used to it. The animations are very well done. You almost get the feeling that the other characters really speak to you because of the synchronization between the noise of otherVery pleasant and cool game to play. To win or avoid suspicion, you have to be verbally strong to defend yourself. It's not a real issue for most players, but when English isn't your native language you need to get used to it. The animations are very well done. You almost get the feeling that the other characters really speak to you because of the synchronization between the noise of other players and the mouths. The rules are different compared to the usual 'boardgame', but that makes it more fun to explore.

The only 'minus' is that the gamedesign is based on 'one round'. Werewolves can't kill during the night and try to win the game by overpopulating the townsfolk. But on the positive side: this makes the game feel fresh.
  5. Dec 12, 2016
    Werewolves Within shows that the board games (or games based on the mechanics of board games) are a type of games that can greatly benefit from VR experience. As a fan of Battlestar Galactica board game, I was playing a lot of it in Tabletop Simulator and it would be a great improvement to use VR to it.

Werewolves Within shows that VR doesn't necessarily need to be based on giving

Werewolves Within shows that VR doesn't necessarily need to be based on giving illusion of 3D, but can actually serve as a tool to show other players how you react and behave. If you are a Werewolf, you need to make sure that you won't raise suspicion by your actions.

The missing thing probably is that the game doesn't recognize the movement of the controller, but I think that this is a compromise that's goal is to make sure that whatever VR gear you are using, you are treated on the same terms as the others.
  6. Dec 13, 2016
    This is the most fun I've had with PSVR to date. It's such a unique experience, unlike anything I've ever tried in a video game. It does however have some bugs, but Ubisoft has acknowledged these bugs, and are working on an update right now.

If at first you feel lost, trust me, things will click for you. The game's will still be chaotic, for sure.. but in a very fun way! Don't worry

Don't worry about english not being your native language, you will be fine, and people will understand what you're saying.
  7. Mar 20, 2017
    Well this is something unusual - I never played this game, I didnt even knew that this title egsisted but I had a rating of 0 in my profile on "latest low score" - could anybody in Metacritic staff explain to me how did this happened?
    Im giving this 8 only to submit the review and because its near the rating of critic score and Im not really interested in VR games.
  8. Dec 29, 2016
    Werewolves Within is probably the best social VR experience so far! This super funny game feels like hanging out with friends having some beers while playing role games. Amazing experience in VR, this is a must have if you have a VR headset.
  9. May 1, 2017
    The one VR game that is cross platform with other VR headsets which is what is needed in the VR experience. whether your on PC or console, this is the one game you would want to play with random strangers to find out who is the werewolf. this has a lot of replay value which is great because its a social base game. They're times when the servers has no one to play with, but changing toThe one VR game that is cross platform with other VR headsets which is what is needed in the VR experience. whether your on PC or console, this is the one game you would want to play with random strangers to find out who is the werewolf. this has a lot of replay value which is great because its a social base game. They're times when the servers has no one to play with, but changing to other regions that is available gives a chance to at least find players playing the game. tracking is great and the controls are simple since most of the time your communicating. I do recommend buying this game for the social game type of VR. Expand

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 1, 2017
    Over time, as you form a pack of new friends who are up for regular games, this could transform into a regular party night classic –albeit one where your party guests are in different houses. And might need worming. [March 2016, p78]
  2. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Feb 19, 2017
    Easy to pick up after only a couple of rounds, this is one of the best social virtual reality experiences you'll have - but only if you find the right people to bark at. [Feb 2017, p.90]
  3. Games Master UK