7.1

1. Mar 18, 2015
    White Night is a stylish and nicely told haunting story, played out in a light-based puzzler.

The positives are the voice acting, the art style and the story. It really does create an awesome little atmosphere. Unfortunately, as a horror fan, it fails to take that final step into actual scaring me. In comparison on the PS4, the Playable Trailer demo for Silent Hill had me leaping out of my armchair and I think some of my hair turned white it was so eerie and damn scary, White Night has a few cheeky appearances that'll get your attention, but never to the level where you'll fill your pants.

The only other downfall is in its pace. It's a very slow moving game with mostly obvious puzzles that require you to find keys and pick up odd items and use them in the room you previously visited. I'm near completing the game now and its been fun, worth it for the price - especially if you're a puzzler fan, and especially if it comes in a PSN sale.
  2. Mar 8, 2015
    White Night is a great survival-horror game, with an awesome story and sound design. The gameplay mechanics can be frustrating from time to time, but the depth of the story kept me going.
    I highly recommend this game to fans of very dark stories, and of fans of games where not everything is spelled for you.
  3. Mar 27, 2015
    Fun survival-horror game with a nice art-style and with the occasional scare. It's not very scary like P.T., but it does have an intriguing atmosphere that will keep you playing. Worth the € 15,-.
  4. Mar 6, 2015
    It's an OK "casual horror" game, nothing to special, good for people that like that uneasy feeling but don't wont to piss themselves, but for die hard horror fan I'd give this hard pass.
  5. Mar 7, 2015
    It's more an stylistic adventure then a horror game and it has really leisurely game-play. But i like the art-style and the noir-atmosphere. So give it a try if you are interested in artful games.
  6. May 2, 2015
    It's a fine, slow paced ghost story of a game (was it really meant to be horror? I guess there isn't really a "Contains ghosts but isn't horror" category), but when it put ghosts in my way and tells me "Ghosts can be killed by light" I spent ages trying to find the puzzle that would remove them. It turns out it isn't expecting me to solve puzzles, I'm just meant to rush past them and hopeIt's a fine, slow paced ghost story of a game (was it really meant to be horror? I guess there isn't really a "Contains ghosts but isn't horror" category), but when it put ghosts in my way and tells me "Ghosts can be killed by light" I spent ages trying to find the puzzle that would remove them. It turns out it isn't expecting me to solve puzzles, I'm just meant to rush past them and hope I don't get hit and instantly die. For me personally, all of the many stylish and positive points are let down by this, and I simply never went back to play it again. Expand
  7. Aug 12, 2015
    White Night is a macabre survival horror game set in the 1930's. Its a puzzle game with a chilling and yet engrossing story which makes you want to play to the end to find out the fates of certain characters. The story is laid out across the game by a series of photos, diaries, newspaper clippings and ghostly encounters. Osome Studios can hold their heads up high with this game as it wasWhite Night is a macabre survival horror game set in the 1930's. Its a puzzle game with a chilling and yet engrossing story which makes you want to play to the end to find out the fates of certain characters. The story is laid out across the game by a series of photos, diaries, newspaper clippings and ghostly encounters. Osome Studios can hold their heads up high with this game as it was something different and has given horror game developers a new direction Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 18, 2016
    White Night is meant to be a slow-burn investigative horror story, but I grew impatient with how incompetent its mechanics are and how they combine to make the experience as irritating as possible. I'm a fan of old-school horror, but one-hit kill enemies, mazelike, hard-to-parse level design, obtuse camera angles and a punishing save system override any nostalgia I might have. I admire that it's trying to pull off a bit of an homage here, but with every good element canceled out by a misstep, I'll stick with the original stuff.
  2. Jun 1, 2015
    If you ignore the insipid faux-noir dialogue, you’ll find that White Night is a pleasing old-school survival horror gameplay experience with a sharp visual style and an intriguing story.
  3. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    May 26, 2015
    Alone in the Dark and Sin City collide to shine a light for imperfect (yet mesmerising) adventuring. [May 2015, p79]