8.0

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Nov 11, 2020
    if you like both yakuza and dragon quest style games, you will enjoy this game, it has a great plot, interesting characters, both new and old of the series, a bunch of content, has some grinding but some people like grinding, others don't, overall a good game.
  2. Nov 11, 2020
    Horrible combat system compared to the previous games in the series, extremely slow and way too grindy with a massive lack of depth, Story was going alright until chapter 12 where they just ruin the previous saga's characters just to make them summons for fanservice, The only upside of this game is the side content and good substories and that's it, the story and the battle system areHorrible combat system compared to the previous games in the series, extremely slow and way too grindy with a massive lack of depth, Story was going alright until chapter 12 where they just ruin the previous saga's characters just to make them summons for fanservice, The only upside of this game is the side content and good substories and that's it, the story and the battle system are horrible considering this is a main yakuza game ( Yes it is Yakuza 7 and not a spin-off ).

This game is not that bad of a game, but its not a good yakuza game specially when you consider the fact that its a main title, Its just a persona wanna be, do yourself a favor and Play Judgment instead
  3. Dec 24, 2020
    The departure from action style combat to RPG turn based makes the Yakuza series to be everything it wanted to be . As a huge Yakuza fan , the reason I fell in love with this franchise was substories , great characters , writings and mini games . The combat always was there to simply do something but that’s it . Yakuza 7 doubled down on the things that matters and executes everything itThe departure from action style combat to RPG turn based makes the Yakuza series to be everything it wanted to be . As a huge Yakuza fan , the reason I fell in love with this franchise was substories , great characters , writings and mini games . The combat always was there to simply do something but that’s it . Yakuza 7 doubled down on the things that matters and executes everything it wants to do . Can’t recommend it it enough . Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2021
    Having finished the game I have to say I'm kind of blown away by it. I've played every main entry plus judgment and while I have some issues with like a dragon it really impressed me.

cons: There are some chapters where it feels like the story drags a bit and the enemy encounter rate feels ridiculous at times and often fights reward so little xp they aren't worth the effort. Being

cons:

Being hit by a car and losing 100hp sucks and it takes forever for ichi to stand back up again.
    Unlocking new jobs felt a bit pointless. I got saeko's social link maxed out and unlocked the dealer job but even after leveling up this job which only became available at level 5 of the social rank I found it was still significantly less powerful than her previous class.
    I don't like how if ichi dies it's a game over.
    My final big gripe with the game is how much hp and defence some bosses have. The second last boss in particular was just an absolute chore. I spent the entire fight getting ichi to use an ability that would prevent him from dying if his hp was reduced to 0 because this boss could instantly knock out anyone with one of his special moves. I did so little damage to him as well. It wasn't a difficult fight, just a really really long one.

Pros:

The rpg fighting system is fun. It's not the most indepth system. I mostly alternated between using my most powerful group attacks and using my most powerful one on one attacks. Also the only useful status effect seemed to be poison but overall it was fun.
    I really like how they've made side activities more rewarding. Completing substories often rewards you with a poundmate which is like a summon and they can be both hilarious and very helpful.
    The substories were some of the best in yakuza history I think. I found myself laughing at several times and pulled in emotionally by some too.
    I like that they added romance options too. It's a fun extra.
    It's also nice how taking the time to work through a battle arena not only makes you stronger but gives you great gear. Taking exams at a vocational school will boost your personal stats. singing karaoke and dining out will boost your social links. It's really impressive how the side activities which often feel extra in yakuza games now feel more important than ever.
    I also love that you change job classes at the unemployment center and some of the special moves you unlock with these jobs just look so frickin cool. Same with the poundmates, it's just pure yakuza zanyness at it's very best.
    The last big thing that impressed me was the story. I came to really care about the characters a lot and the narrative did some clever things I wasn't expecting. It was really touching overall and I came to appreciate ichi a lot.

Overall I was really impressed. I have some issues for sure but the experience was a 10 from me. Yakuza is a series I love but it was starting to feel a little samey. This really did a lot to rejuvenate it for me.
  5. Feb 6, 2021
    I am a long time fan of the Yakuza franchise and i have played every game available in English. And i have loved every one of them. But this is a very mediocre Yakuza game. Which is still a good thing,

The story is not the worst and not the best, What i love the most about the yakuza games is that with most of them i can't tell what is going on until right at the end when they reveal it and when i replay them it makes perfect sense. But with this game and two others i saw it coming in the first stages. But it's still really good. The characters are brilliant. The main character Ichiban is a nice change of phase from the batman esk Kiryu. He responded in the same the same emotional way
    as i did to his friends and enemies. His friends are really fun as well but i feel i can't really go into them without giving away anything about the game.

The mini games are pretty fun. They have allot of the old ones but the ones they add are such an improvement. Especially the corporation mini game. It replaces the cabaret clubs/hostess club/gang war and construction mini games that i reluctantly played for a bit of extra cash. While it shares the same elements and feels too grindy i really enjoyed it.

The combat is fun at first but after 10 ours of random encounters it was completely ruined. It gets tedious, boring and annoying. While the old Yakuza combat was really fast (With the exception of bossfights). This game takes forever in dealing with riff raff takes because you have to wait for every character's animation. The moves are beautifully animated and the moves have allot of verity to them but when you reach higher levels i got really bored with watching the same animations time and time again. Something i never encountered in the old games probably because i did not have to watch one charcter take a minute to do one move.

But this game is still a yakuza game and it captures the Yakuza spirit perfectly.

It's hammy and cheesy, To bad the bread is way to stale otherwise it would make a perfect sandwich.

PS. Fun fact, the main crime family is named Arakawa. One of the first things you beat up in yakuza zero is named Arakawa.
  6. Jan 1, 2021
    Fantastic story, very likeable characters. A great step to a new direction to the series. Overall, one of the best jrpg I ever played! Hope we get more of Ichiban in the future.
  7. Apr 13, 2021
    This game is phenomenal, a love letter for those who love yakuza series and jrpg...It´s been a while since a game made me feel like this. 10/10
  8. Jan 5, 2021
    I do not like these changes.
    I hope they will not stick with thi formula for the next game.
    Play zero instead.
  9. Apr 29, 2021
    Boring to death. I literally started sleeping while playing this game. A boring cutscene simulator.
  10. Dec 12, 2020
    Best Yakuza Game from the Series IMO. I liked the Battlesystem, and kasuga is just awesome.
  11. Dec 12, 2020
    If you like persona, buy this game. Runs like a champ, never a dull moment with the story and side quests being both equally ridiculous/funny and serious/captivating. Turn based combat which is a personal favorite of mine. This game deserved to be mention as a GOTY candidate. People are bombing this game because they hate the turn based combat and I find that is completely unfair of them
  12. Dec 13, 2020
    Quality JRPG! I love Yakuza series and making it turn based is genius! Masterpiece
  13. Dec 20, 2020
    Amazing game. Hands down the best in the series. If you are new to the series and want to try out this one, this game is perfect for you. If you're already a fan and hesitant to play this because of the radical change in combat mechanic, please give it a try. You'll fall in love quick with the well-written characters, amazing story, phenomenal voice acting (both JP an EN), super highAmazing game. Hands down the best in the series. If you are new to the series and want to try out this one, this game is perfect for you. If you're already a fan and hesitant to play this because of the radical change in combat mechanic, please give it a try. You'll fall in love quick with the well-written characters, amazing story, phenomenal voice acting (both JP an EN), super high replayability, tons of content, superb soundtrack, pleasant graphics, and surprisingly – coming from a long-time fan of the series since PS3 era – the gameplay. Everything will grow on you, and I promise this game just keeps on giving! Expand
  14. Dec 15, 2020
    I'm not new to the Yakuza series as I've played or watched others play almost all of the games within the series. That being said, this is by far one of my most favorite installments in the series. It has the perfect balance of humor, drama, combat, sidequests, minigames, and all of the other wonderful things that make one hell of a great Yakuza game. The story is extremely engaging, soI'm not new to the Yakuza series as I've played or watched others play almost all of the games within the series. That being said, this is by far one of my most favorite installments in the series. It has the perfect balance of humor, drama, combat, sidequests, minigames, and all of the other wonderful things that make one hell of a great Yakuza game. The story is extremely engaging, so much so that I felt like the game was actually a little too short because I wanted more. The characters are fantastic and really well-developed.

I know there were some concerns from Western gamers about the new combat system, but please, give it a chance. Yes, it's wildly different for a Yakuza game, but it's extremely well-done. The new combat system actually allowed the developers to give combat more depth and detail. It's very reminiscent of a traditional turn-based JRPG, as there are summons, tagging characters in/out, and different character jobs/roles, however; it's full of outrageous humor and fun, which brings it back to feeling like a traditional Yakuza game.

I'm beyond excited for the next installment in this series, and while I'll miss Kazuma as the main character, I think Ichiban is a fantastic new character who has so much potential for more games.
  15. Dec 20, 2020
    I have never been able to fully enjoy the previous RGG games (Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Judgment) as much as I kept playing and tried to convince myself. Again I decided to take a gamble and get this game to burn time while waiting for the release of Cyberpunk and man so glad I did (especially seeing how Cyberpunk turned out) ! Understand it was a divisive decision and may not be everyone's cup ofI have never been able to fully enjoy the previous RGG games (Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Judgment) as much as I kept playing and tried to convince myself. Again I decided to take a gamble and get this game to burn time while waiting for the release of Cyberpunk and man so glad I did (especially seeing how Cyberpunk turned out) ! Understand it was a divisive decision and may not be everyone's cup of tea but personally going full RPG was IMHO one bold but brilliant move. Graphics was stunning especially around the Yokohama port area. Music was absolutely awesome not as good as Persona or FF7R but fairly close I reckon. It's got its drawbacks (somewhat grindy, I didn't really find the story too compelling) and definitely not a 10/10 game (more like 9/10) but I'm giving it full score to offset the extremely unfair 0 that some people were giving. Expand
  16. Dec 21, 2020
    incroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableinincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyableincroyable Expand
  17. Nov 16, 2020
    I would love to rate this a full 10.The problem is the new turn based fighting system is just plain awful and frustrating.This game was never meant to have JRPG elements.Being able to choose between both original style and new would be fair.I do love that Judgement and this game have English voice over.Overall a great game with Japanese humor.
  18. Nov 15, 2020
    Hands down the best Yakuza to date but then again I'm biased because I love turn based Jrpgs and I'm a lover of Dragon Quest just like good old Kasuga yet another fantastic game in the Yakuza franchise:)
  19. Nov 16, 2020
    the game entertains and the story is very interesting from the beginning, it starts very slowly but then it gets adjusted and you realize the overwhelming content it has. it's a yakuza like a DRAGON QUEST
  20. Nov 15, 2020
    i'm a big fan of Yakuza series and this is the new experience for me. My thought on Yakuza 7 beside introducing new characters, also has a bigger map which takes new place that i love to exploring more. RPG style in this game reminds me about Persona 5 and Dragon Quest as well. i really enjoyed throughout the storyline in this game along with the side story mission.
    for the combat is also
    for the combat is also so impressive which turn based system.

if you a fan hardcore of Yakuza don't ever skip this one. i consider this game as the best game RPG in this year following Persona 5 Royal.
  21. Nov 25, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juegazo , lo mejor es que por fin cambiaran ese modo de juego de simplemente machacar botones sin cerebro y ademas el primero con subs en español , mejor imposible Expand
  22. Nov 23, 2020
    Iam serioulsy not understanding the bad reviews below. Must be written by people who havent played the game or were not aware that it is turn based.

It is how the final fantasy 7 remake we deserved but never got. Because some idiots thought they need real time trash battle. First I thought WTF that doesnt make sense yakuza with turn based combat and this silly classes but everything

First I thought WTF that doesnt make sense yakuza with turn based combat and this silly classes but everything makes sense in this game.

Story:
    One of the best Yakuza Stories so far. Great characters nice twists.

Graphics:
    Nice. But it sometimes drops under 50 fp even with my 3080. Haiya

Combat:
    I simply love it, I even prefer it over brawler real time. A very smart way how to handle it.

Gameplay:
    Overall Great. Great weapons, Great crafting.

Humor:
    All these little hints and easter eggs. Relations to other RPGs and Yakuza. Just fantastic.
    Even the metal slimes apppear in a way :D

Just be aware it is a classic JRPG.
    If you like dragon quest or older FF, or Persona BUY it.
    If you like yakuza but you arent open to new things . Dont Buy it
  23. Nov 13, 2020
    I'm here to give 10 to this game just because of the salty b*tches that gave this game 4 or less just because it's turn based. I'd still give it a 9 anyway, but I'm more than happy to add an extra vote to "balance" those dumbass dickheads that are ruining the User Score of a game for the simple fact it went into a genre they don't like. Also, if you don't like turn based combat you're aI'm here to give 10 to this game just because of the salty b*tches that gave this game 4 or less just because it's turn based. I'd still give it a 9 anyway, but I'm more than happy to add an extra vote to "balance" those dumbass dickheads that are ruining the User Score of a game for the simple fact it went into a genre they don't like. Also, if you don't like turn based combat you're a sh*ttaster that wouldn't appreciate masterpieces such as Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei (& Persona) and the first 10 Final Fantasy(s), so your opinion has no value and if I was the one making decision you wouldn't even have human rights to begin with.

That said, let's talk about the game. Top-notch story of the same quality of the previous installments in the series, lovable characters and the protagonist is a TOTAL OP BRO THAT YOU SHOULD ADORE AND PROTECT, still all of the silly fun that makes the side quests so entertaining just like all the other games, and their take on turn based combat feels fresh (but even if it wouldn't, it's turn based combat which is great to begin with, just like our Dragon Quest-loving protagonist knows).

Now let's talk about the flaws. It has no Mini4wd side game. 2/10 not acceptable.

Joking aside, here's the thing
    Vote: 10
    -1 Penalty because no Mini4wd
    +1 bonus because of the salty dumbas*es that gave 4 or less to this
    Final Vote: 10/10 you're welcome, you won't regret this.

If you aren't a sh*ttaster.

But if you are, your review of this will have a red circle around the vote, so just shut the f*ck up and let the cultured ones appreciate one of the best jrpgs of the generation together with Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5.
  24. Nov 14, 2020
    Just perfect, a very nice history and the turn based combat is just perfect, if you like yakuza and rpg videogames is a must-play.
    Ichiban kasuga ftw.
  25. Nov 13, 2020
    Really good Yakuza, the transition to turn based battle is really well done and the story is really heartfelt. Ichiban is not Kiryu and that's fine, he's different but also more endearing for me, he's a goofball with a lot of humour with a really tragic story. The other characters of the group are pretty good and most of them interact with Ichiban's life in some way. Really can't recommendReally good Yakuza, the transition to turn based battle is really well done and the story is really heartfelt. Ichiban is not Kiryu and that's fine, he's different but also more endearing for me, he's a goofball with a lot of humour with a really tragic story. The other characters of the group are pretty good and most of them interact with Ichiban's life in some way. Really can't recommend enough. For a first jab at turn based and a whole new cast, RGGs has really done a tremendous job and I for one can't wait to see them build upon what they've done here like they did with Yakuza 1 and Kiryu's story back then. Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Story - one of the best yakuza games when it comes to story. I loved that politics were more a bigger part of the story than it was in previous games. I hope the upcoming games will not abandon economical/social/political aspects as well. Characters were really interesting, however, there were some "meh" plot beats towards the end of the game that I think could have been avoided in order to improve the overall story. 9/10

Gameplay - it was done well and I enjoyed it, however, "beat 'em up" genre is what Yakuza series should stick to. It's not that turn-based gameplay wasn't good, it just don't belong in this game (in my opinion). 8/10

Sub-stories and mini games - some of them were very deep and interesting. Loved finance-related mini game and hope to see something similar in the future games (maybe stock market?) 9/10

New City: As we, old-timers, know cities in Yakuza games are characters on their own. It was obvious that Sotenbori and Kamurocho wasn't the main focus of the series, but it was nice that they were included (makes you feel nostalgic). Yokohama was noticeably bigger than any previous city, it had a nice vibe,yet, felt a little bit too empty. Maybe it's because I'm used to smaller cities of the previous games that are packed with various stuff. 8/10

Overall, I give this game 9/10. It could have been among the best ones (Yakuza 0,2), but new combat system wasn't suitable enough to bring me that experience (-1 for combat system)
  27. Nov 16, 2020
    it is nice to finally play a turn-based RPG that is extremely difficult, explicitly for adults, and isn't made on the cheap. Typically, the only turn-based games I'm able to enjoy are -$30,000 budget ones with no animations, because the bigger budget JRPG's are for toddlers and can be beaten while wearing a blindfold (final fantasy, pokemon and so forth).
    this isn't the case here.
    this isn't the case here. overleveling was a major issue in previous Yakuza titles because each and every activity would grant you EXP. they've mostly completely removed the overabundance of EXP, and you'll generally face enemies that are equal to your level throughout the story. most of the easiness comes from the fact that armor and weapons have no level cap, so you could theoretically go play poker for a few hours and then buy the most powerful Dealer career weapon in the game and put it onto a character that's only level 10.

I think that the main character, Ichiban, is much, much, much better than Kiryu. Kiryu had no personality whatsoever, and mostly just scowled at people rather than talked. In contrast, Ichiban is a funny monkey man with a whole lot to say that reminds me of Luffy from One Piece or something along those lines.
    I spent 10 hours playing the business management minigame last night and I loved it.
  28. Nov 21, 2020
    I've only started playing for about 2 hours; but the 2 hours I've been playing has me fully immersed. I haven't played many yakuza games, but when I heard this one would be an turn based RPG, (my favorite game type) I knew I had to grab it. The combat is as basic RPG as you get, but the meat is definitely in the characters and story. I felt for the characters so far and felt happy, sad andI've only started playing for about 2 hours; but the 2 hours I've been playing has me fully immersed. I haven't played many yakuza games, but when I heard this one would be an turn based RPG, (my favorite game type) I knew I had to grab it. The combat is as basic RPG as you get, but the meat is definitely in the characters and story. I felt for the characters so far and felt happy, sad and betrayed along with them. I am also very happy that this Yakuza game has an english dub as sometimes I miss things reading subtitles; a personal gripe for yakuza games, but it never made them bad games. I'm just a guy who likes dub over sub. Regardless of your preference, the English voice acting is top notch, and any fan of the jojo dub will recognize a few voices. I might change my score for better or worse as I continue to play the game but as of this moment this is one ofthe better RPG games I played in a long time Expand
  29. Nov 18, 2020
    Much better than I expected, story is fantastic, likeable new characters, new fighting style isn't bad, great start for the next generation of yakuza games, game runs perfectly too, no glitches at all on my one s.
  30. Nov 21, 2020
    The chapter who made me take the decision to buy the entire saga! A Great game! (i'm italian and don't exist an italian adaptetion till judgement, that is because i never approch it)
  31. Nov 22, 2020
    This game is hands down one of the best Yakuza games just fantastic i just completed the game and the story yes does have a lot of twists but i feel that's what makes the game interesting the combat is kinda new at first but it doesn't ever feel slow and it just builds up for you the side stories are also super nicee but the main thing for me is the main character Ichiban and his friendsThis game is hands down one of the best Yakuza games just fantastic i just completed the game and the story yes does have a lot of twists but i feel that's what makes the game interesting the combat is kinda new at first but it doesn't ever feel slow and it just builds up for you the side stories are also super nicee but the main thing for me is the main character Ichiban and his friends the relationship between them and how its build is just fantastic and Ichiban is not better than Kiryu as a protoganist for sure but he is still fantastic Expand
  32. Dec 6, 2020
    The genre changes, but the Yakuza series is still interesting and this Like A Dragon does nothing less.
  33. Dec 24, 2020
    TRASH YAKUZA MAIN TITLE
    -The Yakuza are not turn-based RPGs.
    -Kiryu is always one of the protagonists of the central titles.
    -Even its combat T-RPG system is silly or outright ridiculous.
  34. Dec 13, 2020
    Breath of fresh air honestly . Don’t listen to these people who say the turn based system is bad . It’s really fun and honestly made the dragon engine much more fun to play than the system used in Kiwami 2 and 6.
  35. Dec 9, 2020
    I finished my first playthrough and got the platinum last night. Honestly it's been such a great journey. I absolutely adored the new cast and found the main story engaging, even if I enjoyed Y0 or Judgment's stories slightly more.
    Yakuza games are always packed with lots of content and Like a Dragon continues that tradition. Most substories are memorable and help you become immersed in the city of Yokohama. So do the dozen or so minigames, most of which are really fun and there are some that haven't been in previous titles. Seriously, the amount of content and fun activities this game (and Yakuza in general) has is ridiculous compared to most AAA titles nowadays.
    The game's soundtrack definitely deserves a mention as well. There are some standout boss themes and I enjoyed the different tracks that play under substories too. Karaoke makes a return after being absent from Judgment and it's also great fun. Rocking out to Machine Gun Kiss is a must once in a while.
    The only thing I felt was lacking is the combat. I had no problem with it being turn based since I'm a Persona guy but it was clunky and could definitely use some polish if there's ever a sequel with this mechanic. It didn't feel that grindy, except for doing a certain trophy that's needed for platinum. I feel this could be fixed with a function which speeds up or even completely skips attack animations. But then again, completing the main story does not require excessive grind.

To conclude, this was the first game I ever preordered and I think I got everything I wanted from it and then some. Thoroughly enjoyed the journey.
  36. Dec 14, 2020
    The game was a joy through and through, the protagonist ichiban is well developed character that sticks with his morals and is totally different from kiryu. The music when fighting gives you such energy that you forget your controller and rave.
  37. Dec 18, 2020
    Not a bad attempt to change the type of game.

But the turn-based combat part has a few flaws: 1. the environment is too little use of the way, too random. 2. can only see the next turn who instead of all. 3. can not look at the enemy codex during the battle.
  38. Dec 21, 2020
    El problema es cuando se quedan trabados a veces con el terreno como objetos o construcciones..
  39. Dec 24, 2020
    i love this game so much its so good even if the combat system is different than the previous yakuza
  40. Nov 12, 2020
    Anyone who criticizes without playing is pathetic. I finished in Japanese earlier this year and now I'm playing at the world launch and loving it again. This and Persona 5 Royal are my favorite games this year.
  41. 3dw
    Nov 12, 2020
    Everything in the game is just amazing, the turn based combat doesn't seem boring at all, from a yakuza fan is a must play
  42. Nov 12, 2020
    despite changing the fighting style, the game maintained the quality of what it is to be a YAKUZA. great game, with great story. it is guaranteed more than 30 hours easily. for hardcores players, for platinum it the game offers more than 50 hours. Anyone who says the game is bad because combat is now a turn-based RPG should review the concept of what a bad game is. for the novice, try itdespite changing the fighting style, the game maintained the quality of what it is to be a YAKUZA. great game, with great story. it is guaranteed more than 30 hours easily. for hardcores players, for platinum it the game offers more than 50 hours. Anyone who says the game is bad because combat is now a turn-based RPG should review the concept of what a bad game is. for the novice, try it worthwhile. Expand
  43. Dec 24, 2020
    YAKUZA 7 should have been a spin-off, not a central title, since it is a turn-based RPG & the fact that Kiryu Kazuma is not its main protagonist, or one of its protagonists!
    Which means that this title is just a CASHGRAB--- what a shame!
  44. Dec 2, 2020
    Love Yakuza games and this one would be no different, however, like many others have indicated, the turn based is only good if you really love turned based games. I have to admit that the fighting style in Yakuza games was getting stale and needed an overhaul but there were so many amazingly cool options available to them, rather than heading all the way to the other end of the spectrumLove Yakuza games and this one would be no different, however, like many others have indicated, the turn based is only good if you really love turned based games. I have to admit that the fighting style in Yakuza games was getting stale and needed an overhaul but there were so many amazingly cool options available to them, rather than heading all the way to the other end of the spectrum (turn based). Let's be honest here, this is no Baldur's Gate 3 turn based system - this is a pretty dull iteration.

Liked the story, loved all the side games, graphics are great and much more, but for me, turn based was a poor decision. Again, to repeat my previous statement, the combat was stale in the Yakuza series, but this went too far away from what made Yakuza amazing - intense boss fights and incredible action. Now I get to a boss and we stand there looking at each other, I click a few buttons, he responds, and round and round we go (sigh). Would not buy further Yakuza games if this system stays. Good luck and if you decide to buy the game, I hope you enjoy it more than me!
  45. Nov 19, 2020
    The game is forcing you for leveling up but even if you level up your enemies are always more powerful than you. Even a normal enemy is like a boss fight, this game is boring and annoying.
  46. Dec 8, 2020
    Turn based combat just doesn't fit into games like this, it's that simple. I absolutely hate this game.
  47. Nov 29, 2020
    The game certainly takes a while to open up but the promise of a traditional RPG set in the Yakuza universe is largely kept. Over the top summons are the highlight of the combat while the more traditional character abilities are fairly straightforward and lackluster. The mini games are back in full force including a fleshed out version of the business simulation game of Yakuza 0. OverallThe game certainly takes a while to open up but the promise of a traditional RPG set in the Yakuza universe is largely kept. Over the top summons are the highlight of the combat while the more traditional character abilities are fairly straightforward and lackluster. The mini games are back in full force including a fleshed out version of the business simulation game of Yakuza 0. Overall if you are looking for another story set in the Yakuza universe with a traditional RPG combat system, this hits the mark in the way only this development team can. Expand
  48. Nov 29, 2020
    The battle and job systems are not too complex but the fights themselves are dynamic and fun and still require some strategy especially with buffs, debuffs and how to manage large groups of enemies. The best parts of the games though are it's compellikg characters from all walks of life and a very engaging story. The new setting of Ijincho is a breath of fresh air and the world brims withThe battle and job systems are not too complex but the fights themselves are dynamic and fun and still require some strategy especially with buffs, debuffs and how to manage large groups of enemies. The best parts of the games though are it's compellikg characters from all walks of life and a very engaging story. The new setting of Ijincho is a breath of fresh air and the world brims with content, side stories and interesting things to do. Truly a great way to rejuvenate the series, what a story! Expand
  49. Dec 5, 2020
    I've never played a Yakuza game before this, but this is absolutely fantastic.
  50. Nov 26, 2020
    This game should have a 9+ user score on average. Marking low because you don't like turn based combat is a shame as this game is genuinely insanely fun to play and hard to put down. a true masterpiece of a game!
  51. Nov 13, 2020
    Turn based Yakuza game in 2020? Are you actually serious? I'm so glad Final Fantasy dropped that bs and now yakuza wants to bring it back, no thank you, i will pass.
  52. Nov 14, 2020
    I am writing this review as a long time Yakuza fan, and this is going to be small, spoiler-free review.

Story - The story started out pretty strong in the first few chapters, and Ichiban himself came across as a likable character. However, certain plot twists in the game really dragged it down up to a point where I consider it one of the worst entries in the series. The game doesn't do a completely great job fleshing out the characters that are introduced (in terms of most of the party members). As a result of that, you don't form an emotional connection with most of your party members. At a certain point in the story, certain characters from the previous games come back, and despite it being cool to see them again, it felt like fan service and something which ultimately wasn't needed. The story ends good, and RGG can really go wherever they want next with Ichiban.

Gameplay - Now this is the main topic of discussion. I personally didn't really enjoy the combat much in this game. When I first heard that the combat was going to be turn based, I was still willing to give it a shot since RGG generally haven't disappointed me in the past. However, upon playing this game I was very disappointed. It's clear to me that RGG's talents rely on action combat more than turn based (though to be fair, it is just one entry). Gone are the days of brutal, action boss fights, epic long battles and exhiliarting QTE sequences and now we have turn based fights. I have nothing against the genre, but to me it just didn't feel as engaging as the fights we had in the older games. Some of the bosses have an awesome dynamic intro, only to result in you and the boss staring at each other waiting to take a turn, it just simply doesn't flow as well as a Yakuza game.

The combat did get better once summons and jobs were introduced as they introduced more variety, however some of the street fights became a chore in these turn based fights. What would have taken a minute max before, now can potentially turn into a 3 - 5 minute fight. I personally felt the encounter rate was the same as Yakuza 5 which had a terrible encounter rate, but at least fights in Yakuza 5 ended quickly. In this game I actively tried to avoid street fights from a certain point in the game.

Another thing to touch on is the game can be quite grindy. At a certain point in the story, I had to grind for a dual boss fight, since I was originally underlevelled, I had to grind for several hours until I was able to finally defeat them. Certain instances in this game will require you to grind.

Side Content - This is where the game truly shines. This games has one of the best side content and minigames in the series. (Makes sense since the director of the game is actually the man responsible for making the minigames in the previous entries!). Dragon Kart is actually a ton of fun to experience, Karaoke is fun as always and has some great new songs whilst also bringing back some old classics (the dubbed karaoke is good too!). The theatre minigame where you have to try to keep Ichiban awake is also hilarious, amongst the other minigames introduced. The substories are also great this time around and quite a bit are voiced too.

Overall - In conclusion, I do think the story beats in this entry could have been better. Ichiban's a very likable protagonist and has a great backstory, but the story fell apart midway with some of the twists they introduced. Even though some of the other games may have had bad twists too, the gameplay and the characters were good enough to save the story, but I couldn't say that in the case of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I believe that RGG should have made this game as a spin-off title so it could have been better received, because as a mainline entry the combat in this game did not feel like Yakuza game at all. The saving grace in this game is the side content. There's lots of fun minigames and distractions which you will really enjoy, and the substories are quality this time around. I believe, this is my first Yakuza game where I actually like the side content more than the main story / combat.
  53. Nov 13, 2020
    Boring game with no actual innovation, actually feels they are going backwards. This game feels something that could have come out in 2006 and i don't mean any good 2006 game, i mean something meh.
  54. Nov 17, 2020
    The battle system is just boring and slow that requires no skill but just tedious grinds , going from beat em up action to this menu based combat is such a massive downgrade, the story starts strong but goes off the rails in the final chapters and is full of nonsesne and easily has the worst story twists in the franchise history.

First game in the series that i couldnt enjoy at all not

First game in the series that i couldnt enjoy at all not for a slight moment
  55. Nov 13, 2020
    I found absolutely nothing fun or cool in this game. It's slow, it's boring and graphics are weak for 2020.
  56. Nov 13, 2020
    Boring waste of time, i would rather watch paint dry than play this ever again.
  57. Nov 12, 2020
    First Yakuza Game. LOVE IT! Animation can be slightly "wonky" but it almost adds to how hilarious the story and dialog is. The summon system has some hilarious entries in it too which im really enjoying. With all the light hearted joking aside, the story is pretty solid! The characters you meet have some serious back story to them and theyre all very unique. The side missions are reallyFirst Yakuza Game. LOVE IT! Animation can be slightly "wonky" but it almost adds to how hilarious the story and dialog is. The summon system has some hilarious entries in it too which im really enjoying. With all the light hearted joking aside, the story is pretty solid! The characters you meet have some serious back story to them and theyre all very unique. The side missions are really goofy and fun to do! The game is just Refreshing! This being my first Yakuza game, I don't know if theyve all been similar .. But I'm having an absolute killer time with this game and so glad I bought it! Expand
  58. Nov 27, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The yakuza 7 feels worse than the previous one. The battle system is terrible and boring, and Kasuga Ichiban is less attractive than Kiryu as the main character. Expand
  59. Nov 19, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is incomplete. There are too many twists in the story. Ichiban is less attractive than Kiryu Kazuma. Expand
  60. Nov 19, 2020
    I want a **** yakuza game where i can play based on my reflexes knowledge etc... no a final fantasy, i want a serious dark Yakuza story not some guys with superpower or wathever.... I WANT A REAL YAKUZA 7
  61. Nov 19, 2020
    **** game. Should have just stop from Yakuza 2. Ichiban is not equal to Kazuma Kiryu. The RPG part is also ****ty.
  62. Dec 8, 2020
    This game is way too basic to be cool fighting game. It's just meh at this point.
  63. Dec 8, 2020
    If anyone likes this, well good for you. I absolutely hate this combat system. It feels like game from 2001 not 2020.
  64. Nov 11, 2020
    This Yakuza 7 is amazing, don't stop playing because of the change in combat style. I prefer the old style myself, specifically Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2, I hope SEGA will return to that style in yakuza 8. The story of 7 is very good and remember that this game is the beginning of a new era in the saga with the new protagonist Kasuga Ichiban. whoever says the game is bad just because ofThis Yakuza 7 is amazing, don't stop playing because of the change in combat style. I prefer the old style myself, specifically Yakuza 6 and Yakuza Kiwami 2, I hope SEGA will return to that style in yakuza 8. The story of 7 is very good and remember that this game is the beginning of a new era in the saga with the new protagonist Kasuga Ichiban. whoever says the game is bad just because of the fighting style is being hater. Expand
  65. Nov 12, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Yakuza game in the series better than GTA V and red dead redemption combine. Expand
  66. Nov 12, 2020
    Really enjoying this latest addition to the Yakuza franchise the change from beat em up style combat to a turn based jrpg style is handled very well the new hero ichiban kasuga feels very familiar like kiryu honour and friendship comes before all I've really enjoyed looking under vending machines looking for change I was sad to see don Quixote go e :( but
    That hasn't stopped me enjoying the game
  67. Nov 12, 2020
    Game doesn't even launch for many users on PC. 3 days after release and there is no ETA on a fix and in fact they havent even aknowledged there is an issue to begin with.

Its just like Yakuza 0 with arcade game freeze,except know the entire game does not launch. An upgrade, in the wrong direction.
  68. Nov 19, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is not good.
    As an rpg game, the completeness is not good.
    The appearance of Kiryu Kazuma was also hasty.
  69. Nov 23, 2020
    I was not impressed by this games battle system, It is very slow and boring and the animations dont look good, The characters are not that good and dont feel even close to being as good as previous characters in the yakuza games, The only good thing was the mini games in this game and that is it, the rest was boring and uninteresting.
  70. Dec 3, 2020
    Great main story with great characters, rightfully regarded as one of the best in the entire Yakuza series by many people. I played through all of the substories as well, pretty much never touched those in the older games so I can't draw a comparison, but I feel like they are a mixed bag overall. Some are very predictable and drawn out, without any interesting payoff (neither the storyGreat main story with great characters, rightfully regarded as one of the best in the entire Yakuza series by many people. I played through all of the substories as well, pretty much never touched those in the older games so I can't draw a comparison, but I feel like they are a mixed bag overall. Some are very predictable and drawn out, without any interesting payoff (neither the story itself nor the rewards). Others are either sweet and touching or absolutely hilarious. Made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Definitely helps that the English dub is consistently excellent, a noticeable step up from the already good Judgment dub.

Combat is decent fun and during close to 70 hours of playtime never got boring for me, which is quite the achievement, because usually, I find turn based systems to get old and repetitive sooner rather than later. It definitely needs some polishing if they stick with it though, and I hope they do, as it certainly has potential.
  71. Nov 28, 2020
    One of the best JRPGs of the best 10 years and one of the best Yakuza games. Children should stop complaining about the changes when there's already 7 main entries, 2 remakes and a number of spinoffs that have the same combat system.
  72. Nov 26, 2020
    I LOVE everything about this game, Sujidex, Poundmates everything is very fun, buy it !
  73. Dec 2, 2020
    Although there was a change in the gameplay, it is still very fun, the new system is very interesting and gives multiple options when fighting and with the implementation of the jobs it makes it very fun to level up and see the new skills , the story left me speechless, it is a very good story which knows how to perfectly introduce the new protagonists, in addition to making you fall inAlthough there was a change in the gameplay, it is still very fun, the new system is very interesting and gives multiple options when fighting and with the implementation of the jobs it makes it very fun to level up and see the new skills , the story left me speechless, it is a very good story which knows how to perfectly introduce the new protagonists, in addition to making you fall in love with the new characters and secondary characters, to conclude I would like to say that despite the change in protagonist and gameplay, yakuza like a dragon continues to maintain the essence of the yakuza saga, after almost a hundred hours of play, I can say with complete confidence that yakuza like a dragon is a great game totally recommended and even if you have never played a yakuza , it is highly recommended to give this title a try. Expand
  74. Dec 8, 2020
    It’s a dialogue heavy game, but bear with it. This game is extremely fun and giving. I had a big smile on my face most of the time, except from when the dialogue got a little too long. But that doesn’t really take away from the game. Walking around the streets in Japan never felt more fun. The new turn-based rpg fighting system is also fun, and lots of skills and weapons. Great feel-goodIt’s a dialogue heavy game, but bear with it. This game is extremely fun and giving. I had a big smile on my face most of the time, except from when the dialogue got a little too long. But that doesn’t really take away from the game. Walking around the streets in Japan never felt more fun. The new turn-based rpg fighting system is also fun, and lots of skills and weapons. Great feel-good game with mini-games in game that will have you spending lots of time with them. Story is really well written, and really funny at times. I love this game! 9/10 Expand
  75. Dec 10, 2020
    Love the other Yakuza Games but sadly not this one the turn base combat in this feel weird/off/Forced for the this one and being a Yakuza game. The story is great but all the other Yakuza had great stories too.so I cant compare that Part of the game to the other so my review is base solely on the fighting style in this one. So if you not a Fan of Turn base Combat skip this one
  76. Nov 12, 2020
    Pretty outdated and boring, would recommend this game to anyone honestly. Meh.
  77. Nov 13, 2020
    I think this one's a bit disappointing, there are some really good moments in this game, but the whole thing feels muted because of the turn based aspect. I think sega has enough properties and licenses that are turn based such as persona and phantasy star. Making this series turn based wasn't a good idea, it might be better to switch around production staff or change how the action combatI think this one's a bit disappointing, there are some really good moments in this game, but the whole thing feels muted because of the turn based aspect. I think sega has enough properties and licenses that are turn based such as persona and phantasy star. Making this series turn based wasn't a good idea, it might be better to switch around production staff or change how the action combat works if the staff are getting bored of action games. Expand
  78. Nov 13, 2020
    Turn based?? Come on fam. this aint it chief. It would seem like micecraft is calling again.
  79. Nov 13, 2020
    Just meh................................................................................................................................................
  80. Nov 22, 2020
    The story is ok I have only played a little bit so my review is mostly based on combat so I might raise my vote higher if the story meets the caliber of the previous installments. But I gotta say I absolutely despise the combat . I always enjoyed the beat it up style. This new turn based combat just doesent seem to fit well with games like yakuza and I'm not sure I will continue buyingThe story is ok I have only played a little bit so my review is mostly based on combat so I might raise my vote higher if the story meets the caliber of the previous installments. But I gotta say I absolutely despise the combat . I always enjoyed the beat it up style. This new turn based combat just doesent seem to fit well with games like yakuza and I'm not sure I will continue buying the games if this is the path that they continue to want to take . So far my experience has seemed synthetic instead of the authentic feeling I felt when playing the previous installments Expand
  81. Nov 13, 2020
    I am very dissapointed with the turn that yakuza series take, and i hope it just a spin off and sega will go back to the normal gameplay !
    this yakuza doesn't feel like a yakuza at all !
  82. Nov 24, 2020
    Waste of money, I bought this expecting it to be a Yakuza game not a JRPG cliche power of friendship, you never should change an amazing action franchise like yakzua to trash based battles.
  83. Nov 19, 2020
    Very slow, boring, graphics worse than the previous ones, massive dissapointment as a huge yakuza fan.
  84. Nov 15, 2020
    Otherwise a good game but in many of the fights it turns in to a long slog of having only one enemy with massive health pool but basically no offensive capabilities so you just keep hammering X button for 15 minutes. (I guess setting it to auto and making yourself a cup of coffee is the way to go in these boring fights.)
  85. Nov 22, 2020
    Yes its definitely a yakuza game, great story too. But can we not with turn based. If it was any other game I would have passed. It makes sense for southpark to do it but not yakuza. please not again
  86. Dec 26, 2020
    Worst game ever made in history bring back the original combat if you want to change and a lot more of move don’t not make an RPG this is **** like word can’t describe this
  87. Mar 7, 2021
    Mediocre, there is no meaning for 90% of your missions and actions, story is dumb (even for a Yakuza game, which I usually love), I was bore almost 80% of the time
  88. Mar 2, 2021
    Very boring.
    I'm not a fan of the series, but at least I've tested all of its predecessors. I've always preferred GTA, but they were pretty good.
    The latest work is now more of an RPG and the fights are not that good anymore. The characters are too weak for me and the story is boring.
    Everything is better, dear developers.
  89. Mar 6, 2021
    This Yakuza game is a disappointment. I was open to new characters in the franchise since Kiryu became old and it's time for new blood. However, aside from Ichiban who's okay, the other characters are one-dimensional and have no likeable personality. I didn't care about any of them. The female character is very weak it ends up a punch bag rather than helpful in fights.

The turn-based

The turn-based fighting system can be a change for the first few hours in the game, then it gets so boring I kept auto-combat on all the time (thanks for whoever programmed it) unless the characters screw up I take control again.

What makes me give up is the grinding. Previous Yakuza games didn't need this cheap way to make the game "last longer" while you need to go through hundreds of fights to farm exp points and level up the characters. What I usually immerse in is the story. I don't want to spend 20+ hours to grind only to be able to defeat a boss. This is a bad practice I don't know how gamers today accept this. RPG? Sure, but it doesn't have to be this grindy. This is not Destiny or some MMO game.

I even didn't like the story much and it felt weak. Reading that it has many unreasonable twists, it sounds it's not worth it investing into the story either.
  90. Dec 3, 2020
    Love the story,BUT I hate that f grind wall in chapter 9,cannot proceed,wasted tons of hours trying to level up and it goes to slow. Combat system ruined all fun and positive experience I had at beginning of the game. I have all yakuza games (exception Japan exclusive) long time fan of those,but this just the worst and the only reason is combat system.
  91. Feb 17, 2021
    I tried the previous Yakuza games but never really got into them. And after reading all the reviews of YLAD, and people comparing it to persona 5 and DQ, it got me interested. After all I love those games. So I went ahead and bought the game for my ps4 pro. Imo
    Yakuza 7 = Yakuza + Persona 5 + Dragon quest XI . In other words, It's the best game I have played in a loooooong time. If you love Jrpgs, and you love persona and/or DQ games, YLAD is a no brainer. The only downside was that the graphics could have been better on the PS4 Pro. After watching all the reviews in best resolutions, it was a bit of a disappointment that the game runs at 1080p on the pro. Apart from that, this game is perfect in every way. This game's new turn based combat system is the missing piece of puzzle that makes yakuza series into the next big thing in the gaming industry imo. All the negative reviews are mostly people hating turn based combat or hardcore yakuza fans who refuse to adapt to something new and better. If you miss out on this game, you are truly missing out on something great.
  92. Dec 9, 2020
    story is not so good, i couldn't be absorbed in story. so i give this game 7 points.
  93. Dec 27, 2020
    As a jrpg fan this games combat is terrible compared to masterpieces like Shin Megami Tensei 4 or Shin Megami Tensei 4 apocalypse which is quite odd since Atlus and RGG are both under SEGAs wings. The story and characters are pretty well written and likeable but music which is one of the weakest in the series and unholy amount of grind is a big turn of, to top it all off it also has expAs a jrpg fan this games combat is terrible compared to masterpieces like Shin Megami Tensei 4 or Shin Megami Tensei 4 apocalypse which is quite odd since Atlus and RGG are both under SEGAs wings. The story and characters are pretty well written and likeable but music which is one of the weakest in the series and unholy amount of grind is a big turn of, to top it all off it also has exp boosts that you can buy for real money. In the end no matter how likeable the cast is Yakuza 7 is is the weakest entry in the series. Expand
  94. Dec 29, 2020
    Simply put, one of the best jrpgs of this year: the combat was good old turn based fun, with a job system like the old times, and vast amounts of minigames that alone are very fun (especially loved dragon kart, even though it was very easy). Not just that: the story is very good, a bit confusing at times but definitely a story that kept me curious until the end, and with plenty of twistsSimply put, one of the best jrpgs of this year: the combat was good old turn based fun, with a job system like the old times, and vast amounts of minigames that alone are very fun (especially loved dragon kart, even though it was very easy). Not just that: the story is very good, a bit confusing at times but definitely a story that kept me curious until the end, and with plenty of twists and turns that got me really hooked into it. But even though the story was serious it still didn't shy away to be funny when it wanted...it is yakuza, after all, it can do both flawlessly and this time the game makes fun of jrpgs tropes, and it's just so fun!

But be warned, the game isn't flawless, AT ALL. In fact I would say there are a huge amount of flaws in the game, some of which are very frustrating to deal with and ruined my day a lot of times.

For starters, avoiding combat is hard: enemies have an ENORMOUS vision and will see you very easily, making the escape much harder than it should. Secondly, the game is very unbalanced when it comes to leveling and jobs: leveling through normal fights is pretty much pointless, they give almost no exp and you're required to grind either the arena or the invested vagabonds, basically the metal slimes of this game which gives a lot of exp and job exp.

As for jobs, they're fine for the most part and they're basically the jobs you may see in a class-based MMORPG or JRPG: bodyguards are more like berserkers, enforcers are knights, chefs are ninjas, and so on. The major issue is how most of the jobs are weaker than the character's unique jobs, and the only reason to use a different job is to get their unique skills, in particular, the elemental skills since most jobs don't have any. In fact, this leads to the issue of jobs being very unbalanced: most jobs have too many samey with same attributes and only very few can be brought to other jobs, like the lightning spell from the fortuneteller or the bomb from the foreman, which usually leads to these jobs only being important to give you the needed spells and nothing more. This can be a serious problem because the game has only 6 elements - Blunt, Blade, Gun, Fire, Water, Lightning - but a lot of late enemies are weak to the actual spells and not to physical attacks, which forces you to spam one or two moves at best. A lot of enemies are simply too resistant to blunt and blade attacks, and there are not many magic spells or gun attacks to make for it, so you WILL have to learn as many skills as you can to get on the other jobs...

In addition, there's a huge imbalance with leveling as well: at chapter 12 you'll unlock the arena, at around level 30 or something, and you are REQUIRED to do this as the next boss you'll fight is a bloody level 50 boss! I repeat, you are required to do this seemingly optional content at chapter 12, or else you will die at the level 50 boss! And it's a very hard one considering it has adds, and then a second boss comes into the fight as well!

And last, but definitely not least, the game is over if the leader dies....of all the bloody things they had to take inspiration from, why take the flaw of Persona (or Shin Megami Tensei in general)? This is so, SO frustrating I cannot believe they did this. Kasuga, the protagonist, isn't a terrible character at all, the hero class can pretty much do everything from healing to buffing, and even has a self-saving spell that allows him to survive a fatal hit...but why give us a game over if he dies?! There are resurrecting spells, and very easy to obtain, and even items that can ress characters! So why is it a game over if Kasuga dies?! I just...URGH!

Beyond that, the game is overall fine: there's no difficult selection but the game is overall easy (if you keep yourself leveled that is) and most of the options like crafting are pretty useless until late game. The business management game is fun but you'll also have to do it in order to unlock an additional extra character - which also has no point to the story, so you'll never see them ever interacting with anyone...just why even bother? - and most minigames are enjoyable. There's also a lot of side-stories to do, some good, some great, some funny. Overall, the game is chockfull of content to do and it's a good time waster if you are into minigames, and there are many to do.

I guess the biggest issue is, being a Yakuza game, it's no longer a brawler and I respect the skepticism, however, I highly recommend giving the game a try even if you're a fan of the Yakuza series, because I think they were very bold to try something completely different than before, and overall succeeded in doing it, and if this game is good enough we might get an even better sequel with more balanced gameplay, and an even better story!

It's definitely not a masterpiece by any means, but the game is so full of stuff, and so much fun to play, I cannot recommend it enough! Give it a shot if you can!
  95. Dec 29, 2020
    So basically, all of the negative reviews are from kids that don't like turn based rpgs, noted. If you bought the game without knowing it was turn based, you should only be mad at yourself.
  96. Dec 28, 2020
    This game is incredible. From graphics to story to gameplay. This is the future of the yakuza series.
  97. Feb 22, 2021
    Seriously, this is such a great game. The characters are memorable and loveable. The combat system is great. If you are a fan of classic RPGs such as (wait for it) Dragonquest, then you will feel right at home. I enjoyed every minute of this game. There were only a couple sections that I needed to grind, other than that, the game had a very nice flow to it. People complaining about theSeriously, this is such a great game. The characters are memorable and loveable. The combat system is great. If you are a fan of classic RPGs such as (wait for it) Dragonquest, then you will feel right at home. I enjoyed every minute of this game. There were only a couple sections that I needed to grind, other than that, the game had a very nice flow to it. People complaining about the change to the combat system need to just sit this one out if it's not for them. There were tons of Yakuza games under the old system. Sometimes, new ideas can refresh a series, and in my opinion, that is the case with YLAD. Fantastic game. Expand
  98. Feb 28, 2021
    I will write this review based on the assumption you already know about the game. So... I loved the party members in the game. I loved building your relationship, chatting at the bar, learning their personal stories piece by piece. Kasuga is also a worthwhile character to move the franchise into the future and his story and the story of Yokohama was really intriguing. However the grindingI will write this review based on the assumption you already know about the game. So... I loved the party members in the game. I loved building your relationship, chatting at the bar, learning their personal stories piece by piece. Kasuga is also a worthwhile character to move the franchise into the future and his story and the story of Yokohama was really intriguing. However the grinding you need to do in this game is TOO much. I believe grinding to be a design flaw in these types of games and it pains me to see design flaws loving emulated. Despite all that I still think it is a good game. I just think this game could easily be a 9/10 if they balanced it and condensed it a little more. I really did like the combat system...for most of the time, until your go to moves basically became animations instead of timed interactions or strategic AoE placements. Also a minor defense of the AoE attacks. So, a common criticism is that all the characters are moving constantly all wily nily like so you can't be strategic with your placement of AoE. Yes... but if you wait and try to predict the movements of the enemies it can be very satisfying when you guess correctly and land a big AoE attack. Expand
  99. Mar 26, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a long standing Yakuza fan who has played every title to completion I was slightly sceptical about the turn based fighting system. None the less I wasn't going to pass up this having previously completed every instalment. At first I thought it was refreshing, and don't get me wrong the story is in depth and Ichiban took place of Kiryu in a well implemented manner.

However, whilst I was enjoying the game I reached chapter 12 where it became apparent I was so under levelled to continue the story when having to fight Goro Majima, it was literally impossible to proceed, the spike here in difficulty was un-parallel.
    It took around 3 hours of grinding in the battle arena to continue the story at this point which managed to get me through the following two chapters, just marginally being able to beat the Kiryu boss fight.
    Being in the last chapter I came up across the boss fight with Tendo, after spending a good two hours making my way there through the continuous battles he managed to one hit me and wipe half way through the fight, a second time this happened and I resulted to watching the ending scenes on YouTube because I no longer had the patience or time to grind my character to finish the story.

This is my only gripe, the game, the story all very strong – but the spikes in difficulty blocking you from just following the story and playing at leisure ruined this title for me. I never thought I would score a Yakuza game less than 10, but on this occasion I cannot justify my experience as more than a 7.
  100. May 15, 2021
    A wonderful celebration of JRPG genre in a modern setting that supports the framework surprisingly well. The humor is silly and outrageous. Yet amidst the irreverence, the serious emotional storyline has me at the edge of my seat. The pacing is gripping and the difficulty is just right. I can't believe how well this game works -- a must have for jrpg fans.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 54 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jun 9, 2021
    Like a Dragon is the eighth installment of Yakuza, but a new protagonist makes it a great opportunity to get acquainted with the franchise. Even though the new turn-based combat system may become tedious at some point and I was disappointed with the lack of thrilling boss battles, it’s one of the best games in the series. Ichiban Kasuga and his friends are a really awesome bunch and I very much enjoyed experiencing Yokohama through their eyes. [01/2021, p.70]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 12, 2021
    A great detour from the classic Japanese series, which shows that the Yakuza can work with turn-based battles and a ton of bizarre humor. [Issue#309]
  3. Feb 27, 2021
    Issues aside, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a masterpiece that might also be of historical note, since I’m hard-pressed to come up with another series that changed genres without losing what made it special in the first place. Players come to Yakuza games expecting fantastic storytelling, a bustling open world, and intense combat. Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios have proven they can swap out one leg of that stool without sacrificing its strength, and that’s an accomplishment few can claim.