6.2

1. Apr 6, 2018
    Quite the unknown gem, Yesterday Origins is actually a sequel and a prequel simultaneously. It expands of the story of it's predecessor 'Yesterday' for the PC and creates the same classic point and click genre that the mid-90s crazed over.
    It holds upfairly well, but not as good as the original. The graphics and sounds are sharpp, but simple. It doesn't really stretch the PS4, but the narrative is engaging and very well constructed, although a bit confusing at times. Another upside is the voice acting and pace. It's not over long and doesn't take itself too seriously, which brings me to the negatives.

Despite spates of humour, it has some very dark moments which almost shows that it should have been aimed at a different audience. The swearing in places also takes you by surprise. The controls are quite sound apart from the odd glitch and awkward angle. As I said, the story may confuse most people, especially if they haven't played the first game. Some of the puzzles are also not as clever as the previous. The most disappointing aspect for me as a fan was the ending. Far too abrupt and quite easy compared to the earlier sections.
    As a whole it is worth a play, but no replay value is a marked downside for point and clicks. It holds one of the few candles that nods to the genre for sure, so we should be glad of that, but it's not quite in the same halls as Monkey Island, Gray Matter or Grim Fandango were.
  2. Jun 17, 2018
    I always loved the Broken Sword series when I was younger, and I was hoping for something at least close to that type of quality when I popped this into the PS4. Although not quite as amazing as Broken Sword 2, this was still a pretty interesting game that put up a challenge here and there.
    The movement is a bit clunky and feels a bit 2002, and the prompts to interact with certain object are not always obvious (and then at times are almost too obvious), but it's the story and the dialogue between the characters that really pulls this game along. The voice acting is quite good for a game of this type.
    For a PS4 game the graphics are pretty terrible; for some reason I just couldn't get over how ugly they made the main character's face, but in general you don't notice when you're trying to figure out the next puzzle that comes along.
    Admittedly I had to look up the solutions to some of the puzzles online, but that was for time saving purposes only, I could have figured them out eventually, I swear.
    The main letdown for me was the ending, as it felt a bit flat after going through the rest of the game. I'm an unapologetic "happily ever after" type of guy, and when the stories don't always go that way I tend to get a bit miffed. Not to say this is either a happy or sad ending (no spoilers) it just didn't go the way I predicted it to. I get that some would find that a positive.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 9, 2016
    I can appreciate the effort, but in the end John Yesterday’s first adventure was better in every aspect. Having said that, the supernatural story with its bizzare dialogue and the clever designed puzzles still deliver a rock solid mystery thriller.
  2. Dec 8, 2016
    Yesterday Origins advances the storyline of its previous chapter, deeply exploring the protagonist's past and building a dark and exciting plot.
  3. Dec 8, 2016
    Yesterday Origins is a by-the-numbers adventure game that hits all of the marks with reliable accuracy. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, and the puzzles are standard and are occasionally veer difficult for the wrong reasons. The story is elevated by some distinct concepts and strong character writing. It's worth a try just to see how immortals deal with the problem of aging.