- Publisher: DotEmu
- Release Date: May 30, 2017
- Also On: PC, PlayStation Vita, Switch, Xbox One
- Summary: 700 years before the events of Ys I & II, the land of Ys was on the brink of destruction. Demons came in droves and forced the twin Goddesses who ruled the land to whisk their subjects away from the surface, into the safe embrace of the clouds. The demons were persistent, however,700 years before the events of Ys I & II, the land of Ys was on the brink of destruction. Demons came in droves and forced the twin Goddesses who ruled the land to whisk their subjects away from the surface, into the safe embrace of the clouds. The demons were persistent, however, erecting a massive tower in pursuit. The battle that raged upon the ground had begun ascending for a second round up above.… Expand
- Developer: Falcom
- Genre(s): Role-Playing, Action RPG
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Ys Origin - Xbox One Release Trailer
Positive: 13 out of 18
Mixed: 5 out of 18
Negative: 0 out of 18
Feb 21, 2017I appreciate what DotEmu has done with the console port of Ys Origin. A story localized this good deserves to be easily accessed by gamers on as many ports as possible.
Feb 21, 2017While Ys Origin feels like a relic of the mid-2000's, its fast paced combat still stands the test of time and should satisfy fans waiting for Ys VIII's global release.
Feb 23, 2017Ys Origin is a wonderful action-RPG that's a handy reminder to us all that timeless, scrupulous game design often ages graciously, gracefully and beautifully.
Mar 13, 2017Ten years on his shoulders and Ys Origin is still one of the most enjoyable action-RPG ever made.
Mar 9, 2017Ys Origin is a simple but very enjoyable and replayable Action RPG. If you like this genre and the series, don't miss it.
Mar 13, 2017Ys Origin is a great gateway into the Ys series, as well as another high-quality entry for those who are already sold on the series. Its streamlined approach offers a perfect combination of being able to showcase what Ys is all about without demanding too much of time commitment. Those looking for an engaging experience of combat and exploration should check it out.
Feb 21, 2017Ys Origin isn’t a great game, even with the various modes, difficulty settings, and characters that unlock for replayability, simply because it’s straight dungeon crawl with little variety. However, these issues prevent Ys Origin from being as good as it could be, and they certainly make it difficult to recommend the title to newcomers of Ys.
Positive: 3 out of 5
Mixed: 2 out of 5
Negative: 0 out of 5
Jan 1, 2021Thr first Ys game with 2 characters and without not one of Adols story. Hugos magic attacks are great it feels like a shoot em up, twin stck shooter.
Jun 19, 2020Tons of hack and slash fun. Good update of an older game. Definitely worth playing and has aged well.
Feb 26, 2017Por un lado, los fans de la franquicia ya lo habrán adquirido (aunque no se trate de la mejor entrega de la misma, ni mucho menos. Ese honorPor un lado, los fans de la franquicia ya lo habrán adquirido (aunque no se trate de la mejor entrega de la misma, ni mucho menos. Ese honor para mi va a Ys: Oath Of Felgana), los que quieran iniciarse en el género de los Action JRPG se me ocurren pocos lugares mejores donde empezar, y, sencillamente, si te gustan un mínimo los videojuegos te gustara.
Es cierto que con las gafas del día de hoy puede parecer simple, desfasado, y genérico, pero es una de esas joyitas que nos recuerdan de vez en cuando como se hacían los juegos antaño, y es capaz de sacarle los colores a mas de un juego de la actual generación. Una aventura larga (8-9 horas con cada personaje), divertida y muy bien diseñada. Y no menos importante, ¡¡traducida a nuestro idioma!! (el primer Ys que puede atribuirse ese logro).
Un gran título que esperemos sirva para la llegada de la saga completa a los sistemas actuales, y la gente empiece a conocer (y admirar como es debido) esta gran saga.… Expand
Mar 12, 2023Pros
- fun combat against varied enemies
- 3+1 characters with varied skills and playstyles (3 of them have their own EX forms able to buyPros
- fun combat against varied enemies
- 3+1 characters with varied skills and playstyles (3 of them have their own EX forms able to buy from the post game arena shops making the total of characters up to 7)
- interesting story told from three different points of view
- plethora of post game content to keep you satisfied and for you to get your money's worth
- the three playthroughs happen through the same 25 floors, with the only changes being boss order and cutscenes
- game is weirdly optimized to the point it crashes if you die more than two times, but this happens only on the first two main bosses
Ys Origin is a game I wish I had gotten as a child since there is so much content to lose your time to. The story feels like an early 2000 anime and it gets told to you from the three different perspectives of three distinct characters: Yunica, Hugo and Toal.
The moment you are finished with one of the three playthroughs you open up the boss rush and boss arena for you to bash your head against a plethora of challenges. It also opens up a shop in which you can spend the currency earned in those extra challenges for various bonuses and other things.
One of the unlockables are the superforms of the three protagonists, plus a bonus fourth character which you can then throw at the story and the challenges as well. This game offers so much content for such a low asking price, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't play it.
As to the bad, if you want the full story and to unlock all the post game content, you must finish the three playthroughs that are on offer. These playthroughs will run you through the same twenty five floors, with the same enemies (though different boss order). What makes this bearable is the fact that the three protags have different enough fighting styles and abilities that it is kept fun.
What I find less excusable is the fact that the game has a tendency to crash on the first two major boss fights if you die more than two times. For a 2017 PS4 remaster of a 2006 game I find it more than sad the game crashes on a PS5. You can avoid this by overleveling the bosses though.
Ys Origin is an ARPG and thus you can overlevel anything and make sure you don't die as often. The difference a single level makes is so massive that cannot be overstated. If you are the same level as the boss you will have 200 HP and it will be doing 25 damage to you. One level higher and you have 206 HP but you are getting hit for 10 damage. And then two levels above you have 211 HP and suddenly they hit for 1 damage. Overleveling works wonders.
All in all Ys Origin works best as a solid pallet cleanser between your bigger games you intend to play. However If you are a fan of the grander Ys series, this game does a decent job of setting up the events of the first game. Definitely recommend this hidden gem.… Expand
Dec 11, 2020This title is completely mediocre in every aspect. It's not pretty to look at (wasn't even at the time), the environments and level design areThis title is completely mediocre in every aspect. It's not pretty to look at (wasn't even at the time), the environments and level design are bland and redundant, the characters and story are uninspired. I thought the bosses were the only saving grace until I encountered the boss that required an unreasonable amount of grinding.… Expand
- (0 views)