7.7

1. Apr 9, 2021
    This game is truly something special and has already become one of my more memorable gaming experiences. Storytelling and art style is superb. Your relationships with the characters actually matter and have consequences.
    However, I can't give this game a 10 on ps5 because of the bugs. While I don't regret my purchase as I was still addicted to this game and feel ready for a 2nd playthrough, I have to hold off until these patches come through. There were 2 or 3 times I had to reload a save in my 30+ hour playthrough. Some audio glitches here and there. I believe there is 1 smaller quest that I couldn't complete due to a bug. I would say the first 2/3 of the game were mostly smooth-sailing, with some slight bugs that I could push through. but the final 1/3 I ran into a lot more trouble which really hurt my experience of the climax. Also, when it is supposed to cut to credits, the screen just turns black and loops music nonstop.
    Its a shame because I love this game. I can't stop thinking about it. But the technical frustrations hold it back. This would be a 10 if this game was released without these technical hangups.
  2. Apr 30, 2021
    Although I truly believe "Disco Elysium" is an incredible game, it does walk over a very thin line between groundbreaking and overrated.

First of all, DE deserves pretty much all the praise it gets: very innovative CRPG, engaging story and characters, funny/witty dialogue and offers a rabbit hole that is impossible to ignore. It's like an amazing book you just can't put down. There is almost nothing like it, I really could not compare DE to any other game. It's that unique.

All that being said, how can such an incredible game be impossible to recommend to anyone? The game has so much cerebral/philosophical texts, dialogues, interactions that 1) Can become extremely tedious sometimes and 2) Extremely alienating. Which, in my honest opinion, kills the hole point.

If you try this game with this in mind, knowing exactly what to expect, then DE can be one hell of an experience. For me, personally, an unforgettable tale about a murder, a broken cop and his sidekick (who steals the show half the time). But I really believe some editing would be beneficial to the game. Not much, maybe trim 10%, 15% of exposition and some excessive (useless) dialogue. I know my opinion is going to be very unpopular, but - after sinking more than 50 hours in this game - this is how I really feel about this amazing, incredible, unforgettable, alienating game.
  3. Apr 6, 2021
    This is a great masterpiece that is very immersive! The experience is hard to explain on words, but the game is so good and complex that has me coming back to it cause of the design and story. This is very worth it, and deesrves the praise it has received!
  4. Jul 14, 2021
    This game has a reputation for being ground breaking, but those ground breaking things are basically:

- You can do drugs. - You can pick (shallow) political dialogue options. - You can be a comically-bad failure. - You can have internal dialogue with different parts of your brain. The only one that is actually interesting is the one about conversing with different parts of your

- You can do drugs.
    - You can pick (shallow) political dialogue options.
    - You can be a comically-bad failure.
    - You can have internal dialogue with different parts of your brain.

The only one that is actually interesting is the one about conversing with different parts of your brain. That's novel, it adds an interesting psychological element to the game, and it's relatable and enjoyable to see that internal conflict. The other points all exist in other games, albeit in different clothes. Taking 'drugs' is just taking items in different clothes. The 'political' dialogue options are just cliches (do you want the communist, centrist or neoliberal cliche?) which are far less interesting than political choices in a game like Fallout. And while this game can be very funny, it's hardly the first game to be funny. And it's not a 'funny' game - 80% of the time the mood is very depressed.

The gameplay is absolutely uninteresting. You run around (slowly), on a map that's cumbersome to navigate, with way too many loading screens, and you click on things. OK, OK, it's not meant to have compelling gameplay, it's a text game. It's the writing that matters.

Well here's the thing about the writing: its 50% exceptionally good, 50% meaningless pretentious waffle. And the meaningless waffle is so devoid of value, with such a self-indulgent facade of intellectualism that it's almost insulting; it's there to bedazzle people with flowery language rather than actually intrigue them. My advice: just pick the dialogue options you really want to say, and let the rest go unspoken. It's really not worth going through them. The good 50% is very good though, it must be said, but it's tainted by all the pretentious fluff.

The story (no spoilers) is OK. It's not as novel as people make it out to be. You have amnesia, which is not exactly a new idea in a game. And while you can solve the central plot's murder, it is literally impossible for you to figure out who the murderer is until it's revealed, so you will not get that satisfaction. You just have to go through it.

Finally, fast travel doesn't work at all, the game crashed 2 or 3 times in my full playthrough, and the music is very drab. But hey, when the writing is good it's very good, and talking to your brain is cool.
  5. Apr 11, 2021
    I might be in the minority here but I played the whole game through without many issues at all. The controls aren't well suited to the ps5 and unresponsive at times but weren't enough to spoil the game. It is an enjoyable game and I don't think I saw everything on my first playthrough. It is also a much stronger game in the build-up and the reveal at the end was not particularlyI might be in the minority here but I played the whole game through without many issues at all. The controls aren't well suited to the ps5 and unresponsive at times but weren't enough to spoil the game. It is an enjoyable game and I don't think I saw everything on my first playthrough. It is also a much stronger game in the build-up and the reveal at the end was not particularly satisfying.

That said, there are many great qualities, not least the amazing voice cast and I would def play it again
  6. Apr 20, 2021
    Now that the game is patched, it offers a great experience. A unique masterpiece of narrative design and writting. I can't wait to come back in Revachol !
  7. Dec 3, 2021
    I waited a little bit after reading the initial reviews that mention how buggy the game is on playstation. Now after starting the game on october and finishing it, I can safely say that at this point of time disco elysium works perfectly on ps5. go buy it, highly recommend for any rpg fan.
  8. Apr 5, 2021
    Game is an absolute masterpiece, but technical issues are frustrating(for 15 hours of gameplay crashed 3 times, problems with clicking on interactive places, frame drops(need to restart game to fix it)).
    Anyway I put 10 to it, since technical issues should be fixed in nearest future.
  9. May 2, 2021
    A true masterpiece. Incredible writing and memorable characters make this weird and charming game worthwhile. Don't listen to the negative reviews as they talk about bugs long since removed from the game. The post-launch support has been great.
  10. Apr 6, 2021
    What can I say about a game that managed to do something a few games over the last 30 years have managed, which is create a unique experience that felt entirely original and profoundly immersive. The last game that managed to do this was dark souls. I won’t be surprised if, like dark souls, there are Elysium clones over the next 10 years. This game, which I can’t stop thinking about,What can I say about a game that managed to do something a few games over the last 30 years have managed, which is create a unique experience that felt entirely original and profoundly immersive. The last game that managed to do this was dark souls. I won’t be surprised if, like dark souls, there are Elysium clones over the next 10 years. This game, which I can’t stop thinking about, managed to combine open world exploration, point and click adventure and unique RPG mechanics on a backdrop neo-noir in a dystopian alternate reality all written and voiced masterfully. If you want a a breath of fresh air and a game to talk about and think about, try disco Elysium. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2021
    Absolutely great game from Estonia, one of the best and most beautiful country on whole planet. I have visited it few times in past and it's always magical place to be. No wonder they make so good video games. Highly recommended!
  12. Mar 31, 2021
    This game is legendary, The greatest detective Noir game I have ever player. Hell the Only top down isometric game that I have played that was better then this was DOS2 (Divinity Original sin 2). You gotta give it ago especially in that juicy 4k and fully voiced.
  13. Apr 8, 2021
    Ridiculous that a game would be released with this many game-breaking bugs.
  14. Apr 10, 2021
    Complete overrated game. Full of bugs, crashes all the time. Finished the game because I’ve already paided for it. I don’t recomend. It’s a complete boring game and a waste of time.
  15. Apr 7, 2021
    Warning! Do not buy this game on PS5! This game is currently broken! After day 3 you get stuck and cannot progress. The Developers have promised to bring a fix within a day or so A WEEK AGO! Currently complete radio silence from the developers. Get it on PC or get another game! Shame on ZAUM, Sony and the media for allowing this. IGN giving a 10 out of 10 for a product that only works forWarning! Do not buy this game on PS5! This game is currently broken! After day 3 you get stuck and cannot progress. The Developers have promised to bring a fix within a day or so A WEEK AGO! Currently complete radio silence from the developers. Get it on PC or get another game! Shame on ZAUM, Sony and the media for allowing this. IGN giving a 10 out of 10 for a product that only works for about half a day of focused play! SHAME! Expand
  16. Apr 5, 2021
    I feel like game journalism is basically dead. How can this game be a 93 when it has numerous bugs (in a more or less second launch) and takes ages to load on a system where even Spiderman with RT can delivery less then 4 seconds of load time. The controls are not optimized at all for consoles and the text options are really bad considering that you basically read thext 99.9% of the time.I feel like game journalism is basically dead. How can this game be a 93 when it has numerous bugs (in a more or less second launch) and takes ages to load on a system where even Spiderman with RT can delivery less then 4 seconds of load time. The controls are not optimized at all for consoles and the text options are really bad considering that you basically read thext 99.9% of the time.

Disco Elysium is innovative and the story is compelling although there is also a lot of useless crap inside of it if you look at it objectively. I know this will be an unpopular opinion but the game seems overrated especially for the low effort on the console port. The price is definitely a pro for me but some game mechanics and the very bad talent introduction feels like a let down for me. I need to wait for some hopefully incoming patches but so far I dont see this game being more then an 7 to 8 for me and will go with a 7 at the moment because especially the reading experience is bad (and some parts of the game are not vocalized).
  17. Apr 10, 2021
    How can you give anything else than this for such a broken and buggy game, sure if it was working good it's probably a 8/10 (my opinion) but it's unplayable on ps5 after day 3. The bigger problem for us all is all these media outlets like IGN giving this game 10s, how it this possible in such a broken state
  18. Nov 17, 2021
    The game is cool. But losing 10 hours of play time because of a crash isn't.
  19. Apr 3, 2021
    full of game breaking bugs and crashes all the time. wait for a patch. I can't believe they released the game like this. it's worse than cyberpunk. totally unacceptable. do not buy now. wait until it is fixed.
  20. May 5, 2021
    This game is broken and for now I would not purchase it. I did. The game begins with an unclothed character in a room, with the initial order of business being to put on the clothes lying about, interact with a few other things, then open the door to leave. None of the tasks could be accomplished in that the controller was not interfacing with the game correctly. I am really wonderingThis game is broken and for now I would not purchase it. I did. The game begins with an unclothed character in a room, with the initial order of business being to put on the clothes lying about, interact with a few other things, then open the door to leave. None of the tasks could be accomplished in that the controller was not interfacing with the game correctly. I am really wondering how all the reviewers were even able to get through it in order to write a review. May be great, but don’t buy until word of a solid patch comes around. Expand
  21. Apr 7, 2021
    Although the story is really good, the game is so riddled with bugs on the PS5 that I would not recomme anyone to buy it.
  22. Apr 4, 2021
    This is so sad. The original release of this game is one of my favorite games of all time, if not the one.

But they REALLY dropped the ball on this release. In all my time of playing games, I don't think I've ever experienced such a broken and buggy release. And mind you I'm not opposed to buying games on release day and thus is expecting some bugs but this... this is totally outrageous.

First up, general bugginess:
    You can almost not play a whole hour without experience some bug be it small inconveniences, crashes, immersion-breaking, or something totally game-breaking. And to top it off they aren't even inconsistent. They are so easily replicated that It really feels like there's been zero QA-testing and I mean Z-E-R-O, nada, null.
    An example: You use healing items with the left and right directional pads. Sound good enough, easy to reach, and simple. Surely there cannot be some easily encounterable glitch/oversight that really is 100% consistent having to do with these controls, right? Wrong;
    Oh, you want to sell some things to the pawnshop? A selling menu appears and how do you navigate this? With the d-pad of course. But wait. What happens when you use the left and right d-pad. Oh, that right you use one of your precious healing items. But of course, they have restricted healing during the seeling right. No, no not at all.
    So, in short, navigating the selling menu uses your healing items. Like how do you NOT notice this during QA-Testing? I have no words honestly
    I will not really touch on the game-breaking bugs as they are slightly story-related but just know on day 3 you'll almost 100% encounter one if you're playing on a PS system

Secondly, 'FuLly VoCieD". My f***t
    This might be playing into the previously mentioned bugginess, but I suspect that they have wrongfully shipped an early version of this game. Almost 20-30 percent of the NPCs ' and Emotions' lines aren't voiced at all. Sometimes there initial greeting when you first meet the NPC but when you then ask them something it isn't voiced. This, I personally, feel like it's pointing to some early testing of the grounds for the voices actors as the voice is cast but hasn't been patched in fully.
    When the one big thing around promoting your' Deluxe Edition", or in this case "The Final Cut" is to have FULLY VOICE ACTING then there better be just that at the very least.
    But alas there isn't

Thirdly, the porting job is straight-up bad.
    The controls are bad, inconsistent, and unresponsive. You almost always have to click 'X' twice to confirm a location to inspect. Again how did this slip through QA-Testing?
    And they didn't utilize the PS5 new features at all. Which is more a shame than something definitive but still.

Thanks for reading my rant. I might remove this in the future if it's getting fixed (which it most likely is) I still truly love this game but this "Final Cut" is such a shame the premise is there but the execution is downright shameful
  23. Jun 17, 2021
    Of course, I understand everything, but what is the number of bugs? Aren't you ashamed? After all, a new generation, and here it is...
  24. May 12, 2021
    Despite it‘s occasional bugs and weak controls, this game is an amazing experience.
    It has one of the most realised worlds I‘ve ever seen in a videogame.
  25. Mar 6, 2022
    If you are debating on playing this game, consider this: It's like reading a good book. It's slow paced and heavily text based and narratively driven. When you invest time however you will get much in return. It's probably the best written game I've ever played and it has some of the most interesting decisions, detective work and rewards you for critical thinking.

If this isn't your

If this isn't your type of game that's alright, but if you're open minded to trying new things, especially CRPGs then it doesn't get much better than this.
  26. Jan 19, 2022
    It's been a long time since I played such a good game. I haven't been able to tear myself away since I started. I was not expecting what awaited me and I was in for a rolling without a hand. The plot, atmosphere, visuals are amazing. It's really hard to describe it in words, probably not everyone will appreciate it because it's not a title for everyone, but for someone with an imagination.It's been a long time since I played such a good game. I haven't been able to tear myself away since I started. I was not expecting what awaited me and I was in for a rolling without a hand. The plot, atmosphere, visuals are amazing. It's really hard to describe it in words, probably not everyone will appreciate it because it's not a title for everyone, but for someone with an imagination. I recommend full 10/10 for me. Expand
  27. May 11, 2021
    Masterpiece of a game, got it recently with the patch no issues. One hell of a RPG, still playing through it though!
  28. May 3, 2021
    Can't believe what I experienced here with Disco Elysium. A captivating detective RPG that is teeming with poetry, remarkable voice acting and enough philosophical fodder to make your head race long after you log off. While the controls can be a little janky at times, especially on PS5, it wasn't enough to hamper my experience even in the least. The game even had some game-breaking bugsCan't believe what I experienced here with Disco Elysium. A captivating detective RPG that is teeming with poetry, remarkable voice acting and enough philosophical fodder to make your head race long after you log off. While the controls can be a little janky at times, especially on PS5, it wasn't enough to hamper my experience even in the least. The game even had some game-breaking bugs while I did my first play through and I was enjoying Disco so much I had no problem waiting for the patches that eventually fixed things. The best way to describe Disco Elysium's appeal is that it's an all-encompassing vibe. Martinaise feels familiar yet strange, grounded yet fantastical. This is in large part to the stunning, uniquely designed backgrounds and the strikingly melancholy soundtrack. The writing is heavily surreal while being explosively political. From start to finish, I was gripped. While my intrigue in the beginning mostly stemmed from curiosity on how the game's mechanics actually worked, once things began falling into place, the reward of understanding how to be a better cop, how to better enjoy my time within Disco Elysium, is certainly part of the journey. Disco demands multiple play throughs and I encourage anyone diving in to soak it all up for yourself -- skip the Let's Plays, skip the walk throughs. Try to just explore and talk your way through Martinaise creating your own, original persona. Expand
  29. Oct 21, 2021
    Super insane experience! I do not remember last time I have been drawn into the story like this and the voice acting is just terrific
  30. Jan 2, 2022
    Лейтенант Ким Кацураги и … пьяный, убитый горем алкаш-детектив, который не помнит ничего о своём прошлом? Детектив, которому дали шанс на новое начало в лице вас — игрока, который разрешит судьбу Мартинеза и, возможно, всего Ревашоля!Лейтенант Ким Кацураги и … пьяный, убитый горем алкаш-детектив, который не помнит ничего о своём прошлом? Детектив, которому дали шанс на новое начало в лице вас — игрока, который разрешит судьбу Мартинеза и, возможно, всего Ревашоля!
  31. Jan 11, 2022
    Don't believe the hype. This game is clunky and bug ridden. The bugs and awful controls often interfere with your ability to actually play the game. The game has some awesome writing and rpg elements, but these issues overshadow any potential it has. Not sure why the reviews are raving about this when it's such a chore to play
  32. Apr 26, 2021
    The game...wow. Any negative review here, mentioning the bugs..well they've been fixed with weeks of the games release. Besides the bugs that were fixed almost immediately, I'm not sure what else you could deduct points for.
  33. Jun 8, 2021
    A superlative cRPG. It takes the fundamental impulse that we have to find truth and meaning, in all the clumsy, beautiful, fruitful, imperfect and desperate ways that we try and says "ah, that's okay, I know how you feel. Let me tell you about the time that I got so black-out drunk that I forgot the world and had to learn it all over again. It's one hell of a story, if you have the time".A superlative cRPG. It takes the fundamental impulse that we have to find truth and meaning, in all the clumsy, beautiful, fruitful, imperfect and desperate ways that we try and says "ah, that's okay, I know how you feel. Let me tell you about the time that I got so black-out drunk that I forgot the world and had to learn it all over again. It's one hell of a story, if you have the time". I'm glad that it has come to consoles. I've heard some of the people who made this game speak about it, and we're so lucky to have them. Expand
  34. May 20, 2021
    Honestly, I did not understand all the hype before playing the game. But it was justified! Amazing, and I'm saying amazing, artwork, beautiful and deep narrative, fun RPG game which almost feels like playing an adventure game as well. I cut 1 point due to difficulties in travelling from one place to another, some underworked terrain issues etc.

But 100% recommended.
  35. May 24, 2021
    Эстонцы, братишки, какую же шикарную РПГ вы создали, это нечто! Не могу оторваться, сижу в офисе, и мечта скорее продолжить историю!) это 10 из 10, игра на полку в коллекцию лучших игр!
  36. May 2, 2021
    Отличный рпг детектив. Взял сразу на выходите игры на пс5. Хорошее погружение, огромный выбор действий. Ждал на консоли
  37. Jan 6, 2022
    Ok I jumped the hype train for this game! I finished it yesterday, I was glad when I finished it, I was glad this ride was over, but it was a great ride. The story has so many twists and turns, no surprise why our detective likes to drink, or not...this is all your decision ;) mine was a clean one after the game ;) but well done, this game is for some unknown reasons addictive. Even when IOk I jumped the hype train for this game! I finished it yesterday, I was glad when I finished it, I was glad this ride was over, but it was a great ride. The story has so many twists and turns, no surprise why our detective likes to drink, or not...this is all your decision ;) mine was a clean one after the game ;) but well done, this game is for some unknown reasons addictive. Even when I was tired and thought, I want to play something with action, I always landed back in Martinaise and was reading again....there is some magic behind that brings you back. But for a second run it is not enough...not now...maybe in a year or so.
    The gameplay itself is a little bit hard sometimes when running around with the controller, but not a big deal.
    So all in all, story great, characters awesome, acting voices awesome, graphic....yeah well...i have no game to compare but I liked the style - if you like criminal novels, this game is a novel to play!!
  38. Feb 6, 2022
    Fun detective game. Some of the dialogues are extremely funny. Some interesting characters.
    Overall the lack of gameplay did turn me off too much to give a higher rating.
  39. Dec 7, 2021
    The best RPG game ever. Final Cut is absolute amazing, 5x better than original (cool) game. This is more an interactive and fascinating book with amazing voice actors, art style and music, than a classical game. Love it!
  40. May 12, 2021
    The controls are awful and the bugs are annoying. That out of the way- the game is amazing despite its occasional flaws. It has one of the most realised worlds I‘ve ever experienced with characters and moments that you will remember for quite some time.
  41. Apr 13, 2021
    I completed this today on PS5 on version 1.04. As such I can safely say this is the version that the developers wanted us to play.

The game is simply fantastic, well written and acted by a great cast. The gameplay is enjoyable and it’s system of stats and rolling works great and I enjoy the process of planning out costumes both for stats and looks! It has kept me hooked and the twists and turns the story took as I learned about my character and the world were enjoyable to the end.
  42. Jul 7, 2021
    The game itself is a 10/10 masterpiece, but it has few bugs which can affect some quests. I would recommend playing this game if you like a good story.
  43. Aug 8, 2021
    Looks like patch 1.011 fixed the corrupt saves issue. It's a great game! Pity It was released broken.
  44. Sep 1, 2021
    This is the one of the most unique gaming experiences one can have, and I highly recommend it for those who enjoy very dialogue heavy RPG's. That being said, there are few issues with the game that prevent it from being an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. First, the game's RPG mechanics are not quite as impactful as one might think. There are certain spots in the game where a certainThis is the one of the most unique gaming experiences one can have, and I highly recommend it for those who enjoy very dialogue heavy RPG's. That being said, there are few issues with the game that prevent it from being an absolute masterpiece in my eyes. First, the game's RPG mechanics are not quite as impactful as one might think. There are certain spots in the game where a certain skill-check to progress the story is wholly dependant on one mental faculty. This can incentivize save scumming and makes it less of a streamlined experience. Second (and this one is a bit more subjective), is that the ending is quite disappointing for such a well thought out story. Overall, the insanely clever dialogue between personalities, combined with your own as well as the story's enticing progression over the course of of about 15-25 hours is one that you will likely not forget for a long time. Expand
  45. Apr 30, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. DON'T NOT PLAY THIS GAME IT No this game is bad play something else They should stop making games like this Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 17, 2021
    Vast as an oceanic soul of late-stage alcoholic, Disco Elysium remains one of the most sincere, deep and meaningful stories about destructive nostalgia, communism, and a true unending love.
  2. May 20, 2021
    Due to a myriad of technical hiccups, finicky controller support and some uneven changes, Disco Elyisum – The Final Cut is disappointingly not the best version of this otherwise sophisticated and ingenious game.
  3. PLAY
    May 4, 2021
    There’s a shocking amount of depth to the branching choices and skill checks that turn success and failure into your own personal tale of investigation. [Issue#1, p.90]