7.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. May 6, 2022
    Scarlet Nexus was easily one of the best new JRPGs I've played in years. For an anime-style hack & slash to get the AAA style treatment is a rare treat and this absolute knockout hit all the right spots for me. Set in a world always at war with an mysterious entity called the Others, you choose one of two different characters at the beginning and see their unique story as the intricateScarlet Nexus was easily one of the best new JRPGs I've played in years. For an anime-style hack & slash to get the AAA style treatment is a rare treat and this absolute knockout hit all the right spots for me. Set in a world always at war with an mysterious entity called the Others, you choose one of two different characters at the beginning and see their unique story as the intricate plot of the world unfolds. Once you've beat the game as one character, you can then NG+ into the other character to see both sides to this wonderful connecting story. This always creates an air of mystery & excitement and keeps a good beat to the story, always wondering what you'll see next for your cast of characters, and wondering what you may learn when you play as the others. The story is definitely one of the biggest highlights of this experience with multiple layers of conflict that somehow find a way to still connect to one another, and gave us an opposing entity that may be one of my new favorite 'villains' I've ever experienced in gaming. The only element stronger than this game's fantastic story is it's wonderful cast of characters who all have unique personalities and individual goals, and with a similar support system to Fire Emblem give you extra Bond Episodes to spend more time with them and appreciate them more. By the end of my journey I ended up loving every party member I had, even if they weren't on my team throughout the game.

Gameplay wise this game is the action genre at its finest. Always feeling rewarding to play even in the basic combat, this game goes a step further by making your main character(s) a psychic user. Throwing around objects and doing big combination attacks always looks as cool as it feels to do it, then goes to the next level when you do combinations with your party members to also use their powers. Teleportation, Duplication, Super Speed and more just give you more ways to enjoy playing this game, which is already enjoyable to do. As you play more you unlock more things you can do with each party member, and expand the detailed skill tree that's one of the best I've ever had in a game. Scarlet Nexus also makes excellent use of knowing when to have animated cutscenes so they can be more impactful, ultimately leading to a constant interest in what's happening.

Overall this game hit a perfect spot for me. Futuristic and problematic world, but not a dystopian one. A beautiful story of struggle with occasional loss, but never depressing or dramatic. Color choices of red and black and destroyed environments, yet somehow still a bright atmosphere. This game always fills you with hope and a cause to fight for, and even in the simplest settings a world I was happy to be in and explore. I could be happy just walking around the local cities or my hideout, seeing what my party members were up to, and enjoying the charming music. With an amazing soundtrack, incredible story, fantastic characters, and exciting combat, this game was a masterpiece to me from beginning to end. I really hope they continue this new IP with more entries, but even if they do not, I will always love Scarlet Nexus for the amazing journey it already is.
  2. Apr 8, 2022
    Now this is my favorite JRPG! Many years later, I felt like a teenager in a cool shonen like Naruto or Bleach. Cool story, good gameplay, addictive setting.
  3. Sep 15, 2021
    I Fn loved this game the story was pretty cool a lot of anime tropes but I can dig it, although I do wish that would evolve some in general with all of anime story telling. But where it shines the most is the gameplay the battles are dynamic and fun and the phypunk thing is pretty bad ass. Over all I recommend it I had fun playing it.
  4. Feb 25, 2022
    Well, this game was a pleasant surprise for me. The gameplay is fun and the story is not cliche, it has really unique world and characters. I felt that the devs put a lot of love into this game and I loved it.
  5. May 29, 2022
    A treat for Anime lovers....
    Pro
    1. Combat- Fast paced, addictive and a huge variety of moves at your disposal
    2. Story is well thought out
    3. Runs at fluid 4k 60 on PS5
    4. Psychokinetic and brain field powers are awesome
    5. Monster designs are creepy

Cons
    1. Since there are two campaigns with lots of overlap, game gets repetitive towards the end
    2. A tad, too much dialogue, for my liking
  6. Jun 27, 2021
    It's a very good game with very good combat and a decent story that gets you to like the characters very well, maybe you don't like the story was told if don't like that visual novel style way of storytelling, overall it's a very good game that has a good story and great combat that make want to comeback to this game.
  7. Jun 26, 2021
    One of the best Stories and Combat in Anime games!. The Comic book style of storytelling is hit or miss and kinda takes getting used to however the Cinematics that do happen is very well done and The writing and the twists and turns of the story is Excellently done! The combat Is absolutely brilliant and very well polished and has alot of thought put into it, also i love the Cast ofOne of the best Stories and Combat in Anime games!. The Comic book style of storytelling is hit or miss and kinda takes getting used to however the Cinematics that do happen is very well done and The writing and the twists and turns of the story is Excellently done! The combat Is absolutely brilliant and very well polished and has alot of thought put into it, also i love the Cast of characters! Biggest criticism is the level design is very meh most the time... Some absolutely beautiful areas but most are Okish or meh. Totally worth picking this up these devs deserve it tbh game is like 50 hours worth of story if ya play both stories (which has alot of differences to warrent the diff playthroughs. So this game is definitely a 9/10 for me. Hope More Anime games of this quality comes out! Expand
  8. Jun 27, 2021
    I really liked this game, the story is really cool, the characters each have their own style and way of being! , the gameplay maintains what really should be a hack n slash and at the same time presents you with a very innovative system, a full plate for those who enjoy the genre and also like anime games!
  9. Jul 9, 2021
    amazing story
    amazing combat
    likeable characters
    i know that this game is not huge but it never meant to be so thats ok.....
  10. Jul 4, 2021
    One of the best games of 2021 , the compact is so unique and fun , the story, soundtrack, characters, world building.. its been a while since I’ve played a great anime game .. i got the platinum today if you are still interested buy it you won’t regret it .
  11. Jul 3, 2021
    every good action anime game actually, the story parts quite interesting but the fighting mechanism was the key part of this game. The combination of power you can use and the effects of the power(sas) used to the gameplay are very fun to play. every power have it use however yes the enemy type can be repetitive for some time but the variety of combo and environmental interacting usingevery good action anime game actually, the story parts quite interesting but the fighting mechanism was the key part of this game. The combination of power you can use and the effects of the power(sas) used to the gameplay are very fun to play. every power have it use however yes the enemy type can be repetitive for some time but the variety of combo and environmental interacting using your power can spice thing up and keep it engaging. Spent almost 16 hours in this game and left quite satisfied. One of main weakness for me is the relationship between characters and the kind of interaction need to suit the current plots. Expand
  12. Jul 5, 2021
    Sometimes there is a game that gets everything right for a particular segment of players and I'm glad that I'm part of it. I have not had so much fun in an action RPG for a long time
  13. Sep 13, 2021
    Pros: Great story, Awesome combat, very nice customization system and designs for weapons and armor. 2 campaigns in the form of 2 main characters that have their own missions to play through, which makes the game interesting seeing the main story events from 2 different parties. Cons: Most cutscenes with dialogue are still shots pretty much, and that's not for everybody.

The game can

The game can get pretty boring during the "Standby Phases" (free time in-between the chapters of the game where you can tackle the tedious and boring side quests). This is due to the boring side quests and the companion system which takes hours to complete (complete meaning fully level up your relationship with your team, which is another tedious process in of itself) and if you're a completionist like me, then you'll get burned out like halfway through your first campaign (I haven't even started the 2nd one yet).

However, with all that in mind, this game is a solid 8 if you can pace yourself/give yourself the necessary breaks from the game in order to not feel overwhelmed or completely annoyed by the content. I'd say it's worth around $40-$50. unless you're really itching to play this game, then go for retail.
  14. Jun 26, 2021
    Good plot, good characters, pretty good soundtrack and great combat. Level design is meh thought. If you like anime games, I'm sure you gonna love it!
  15. Jul 11, 2021
    First Plot - it's terrible, the longer you play it the more absurd and stupid the plot becomes, i mean sure once you get all the pieces together you just end up with a pretty bad overall story but since it drip feeds you throughout it just becomes stupid. (half of which you've already figured out).

Let's not get into the usual tropes of the main characters. if they all just sat down at the beginning and talked we'd have avoided half of the game.

Oh yeah the game, if you like repetition and doing the same map parts again and again. You will LOVE this game. Honestly I've never seen a game so plot and cut scene heavy but lack of actual gameplay since metal gear solid 2. The combat is so so, it'd be more enjoyable with a better targeting and camera system. It'll tell you things you need to know and things you don't need to know... pay attention to the dreadful quests some of them can only be completed if you unlock parts of the brain map - but the game doesn't tell you this.

It's a chore to play, and we won't talk about the bits between story missions when you "bond" with your team mates and give them gifts over and over. Or the poster that refuses to give you a trophy. damn you poster. Or the annoying message system. or the fact you have to watch the anime to unlock useless accessories so your team mates can wear posters, literal posters on their person.
    The worst bond mission involves doing an entire mission again collecting keycards for luka, i mean the design and repetition is astounding but this is brain numbing.

If you love accessorising your characters you'll love this, it's like they saw the idea from the "tales of" games and thought ... let's do that, it adds nothing to the game. Just a filler for the lack of content and story the game has... but hey to get the full enjoyment out of it.......

You gotta play it twice, with both characters through the same repetitive levels you've already played. Sounds like fun, sign yourself up.. to another PS5 game that offers very little difference to the PS4 version.. adding to the overall disappointment.

Go team Yuito, a character that never listens and adds stupid conversation even once he's been given the answer. "we shouldn't talk here yuito". His response "maybe we should talk about that". It's just terrible.

It's average, but in 2021 when all we've been given is rubbish - biomutant, necromunda; hired gun, dark alliance.

You'll be glad of average, at least for the first 10 hours of repetition.
  16. Jun 30, 2021
    A very good game that dose what it’s audience is expecting very well good characters and story was not the biggest fan of how many character dialog Interactions are that strange almost comic or manga style with kind of choppy facial animations was a bit of a turnoff to me but some will like it it still was not enough for me to not love the game
  17. Jul 4, 2021
    An excellent game.

I love the story, and it makes me excited to play. I love both of the characters
  18. Jul 4, 2021
    Bandai's attempt a character focused RPG drawing from Devil May Cry 5, Nier Automata and Astral Chain.The story is actually interesting and gets complicated as you get deeper into the game with them learning their lessons from previous games (God Eater, Code Vein) and actually having impactful moments stay that way without nonsense like reviving dead characters break the mood (people doBandai's attempt a character focused RPG drawing from Devil May Cry 5, Nier Automata and Astral Chain.The story is actually interesting and gets complicated as you get deeper into the game with them learning their lessons from previous games (God Eater, Code Vein) and actually having impactful moments stay that way without nonsense like reviving dead characters break the mood (people do die in this story, just won't say who or what). Gameplay wise it's almost perfect...if the combat wasn't so floaty and weightless (no deep impactful sound effects or emphasis on the hit makes it look like a knife literally cutting through butter) it would've been a perfect system to go with the story. Performance wise on PC its very well optimized and barely has, if any, frame drops and is one of the better looking games this year with its unique aesthetic and "brainpunk" world.

Overall, after having experienced the entirety of the God Eater franchise and Code Vein, Scarlet Nexus is definitely one of Bandai Namco's best releases to date. Hope Tales of Arise gets this much attention and more considering its their main franchise.
  19. Jun 30, 2021
    I love this game. It feels like an action RPG, but with the personality and relationship structure of fire emblem three houses, or persona. It's sometimes boring. The combat and scenery can be repetitive. But I find myself saying "I love this game. I'm glad I bought it" to myself throughout.

The side quests suck. The levels are meh. I don't know why I love it so much. But if you like anime, you will probably like this. With that said, the combat becomes pretty cool as you upgrade the skill tree
  20. Jun 29, 2021
    Medicacore game a good potential wasted.Level desing bad,side quests s.hitty,customizetion is not enought only good sides combat is fun and soundtracks really good.

Gameplay :8
    Level Desing:3
    Music :8
    Story :6
    Graphics :7
  21. Jun 29, 2021
    This is a good game, with some flaws.

This is a good game, with some flaws.

Combat is flashy and quite complex once you have unlocked all the mechanics and upgrades from the skill trees. However, the early hours of the game are a little dull since combat was quite basic. You do get your telekinesis power to lift and throw things around at the very beginning, and that doesn’t get old. Once you got to late game, combining different powers and utilizing all your unlocked skills and combos are just fun, a lot of fun. The story is quite good. I personally do not like the comic book-esque cutscenes they used. A more traditional anime style cutscene would do much better, which is funny because there is an anime that’s coming out after the game. Customization is great. There are many options you can craft and equip for your team members. Music is decent too, with a lot of EDM tracks.

Everything else is very basic. They are not bad, just shallow. You can gain bond with your team members by texting/hanging out/giving gifts. Side quests are just mini challenges without any story. Gears and equipment don’t matter that much. Overall, it’s a solid game. Good combat, beautiful visuals and music, engaging story. There are flaws for sure, but they don’t get in the way of the game. It’s a worthy anime action game to play.
  22. Jul 13, 2021
    Scarlet Nexus is great! You can tell it's mid-budget, a lot of environments are re-used and most of the cutscenes are slide-shows, but it's got one of the coolest combat systems and most interesting stories I've seen in a long time. It has a few pacing issues, there are these bond episodes which are plentiful and often take a really long time to get through, but if you can get past itsScarlet Nexus is great! You can tell it's mid-budget, a lot of environments are re-used and most of the cutscenes are slide-shows, but it's got one of the coolest combat systems and most interesting stories I've seen in a long time. It has a few pacing issues, there are these bond episodes which are plentiful and often take a really long time to get through, but if you can get past its imperfections there's a really great core underneath it all and I'd recommend it to anyone Expand
  23. Jul 1, 2021
    A well made Japanese rpg experience start to finish with well made gameplay mechanics and controls.
  24. Jun 27, 2021
    Wow, what a gem! I think folks really underestimated what this new IP would bring to the table. Cool enemy designs, incredibly fun combat, good characters, super nice visuals, and more. I'm impressed.
  25. Jul 10, 2021
    GREAT GAME. The action and art is awesome. The story is definitely got the japanese good anime, but if u love that stuff then even better.
  26. Jul 31, 2021
    Well its a very good game. At the beginning ist might have some lengths but trust me when Insay the Story will become very good when deeper in the game. Combat is just spot on and almost perfect. minor flaws in presentation but i dont give a damn.
    Very good game overall
  27. Aug 18, 2021
    Scarlet Nexus had a very original story with twists and turns. The monsters are repetitive sadly but overall the game is fun. Combat has a bunch of options and the use of teammates powers makes it interesting. The game would be a 10/10 if it had actual cutscenes and better variety of enemies. Also, phase 12 is annoying repetitive...you'll see if you play. I got the Platinum trophy for thisScarlet Nexus had a very original story with twists and turns. The monsters are repetitive sadly but overall the game is fun. Combat has a bunch of options and the use of teammates powers makes it interesting. The game would be a 10/10 if it had actual cutscenes and better variety of enemies. Also, phase 12 is annoying repetitive...you'll see if you play. I got the Platinum trophy for this game.

I recommend this game at discount.
  28. Jun 27, 2021
    Very mediocre game. Basically the only gameplay is running through linear levels killing groups of enemies with "cut-scenes" in between. You also re-visit each location multiple times which is really tedious. The so called "side quests" are the worst of their kind as well, involving killing some enemies in some specific way to get some items as a reward. I'm not a big fan of the cut-sceneVery mediocre game. Basically the only gameplay is running through linear levels killing groups of enemies with "cut-scenes" in between. You also re-visit each location multiple times which is really tedious. The so called "side quests" are the worst of their kind as well, involving killing some enemies in some specific way to get some items as a reward. I'm not a big fan of the cut-scene design either, with them being just static images. It feels a bit cheap.

The combat system also has deep flaws. The main one being the worst targeting system to date. It doesn't actually target the enemy but just locks the camera in the enemy direction, the character doesn't attack in the correct direction so you will still miss your attacks which is insanely frustrating. Throwing objects is also extremely glitchy as half of the time they get stuck in the environment and end up not being thrown, especially in tight areas like the hospital.

Comparing this game to similar games like Astral Chain, this game falls really short. It's an okay game, but not more than that.
  29. Jun 29, 2021
    Actually a 7 out of 10 but just giving it a 10 to offset the unfair scores . So everything about the game is done well and most of all the bases are covered for a basic jrpg. Most reviewers don’t realize that this is so close to astral chain that it’s actually hilarious . The scenes, the finishers and look of this game are very close but are executed poorly compared to astral chain . TheActually a 7 out of 10 but just giving it a 10 to offset the unfair scores . So everything about the game is done well and most of all the bases are covered for a basic jrpg. Most reviewers don’t realize that this is so close to astral chain that it’s actually hilarious . The scenes, the finishers and look of this game are very close but are executed poorly compared to astral chain . The main character is the most irritating protagonist I have ever experienced in anything anime . I honestly can’t stand his immaturity. It’s like literally my playing with a child which would be okay if the story didn’t contradict itself and make no sense at times . It doesn’t come close to astral chain though so I think they still have a lot to learn but the basic ideas can be amazing even stunning at times. Not all of the characters are terrible though but I think if you’re going to try to imitate platinum games you better be amazing at it . Not amazing or great but good enough . Expand
  30. Jul 6, 2021
    bad plot bad character **** world decent enough combat not worth full price wait for sale
  31. Jun 28, 2021
    No bs scarlet nexus is fire af!!!! Not a board moment with this game. Recommend 10000000000%
  32. Aug 6, 2021
    For once the average review score is pretty spot on in my opinion.

- The combat is absolutely amazing and extremely addicting. - Two different story perspectives, each about 25-30 hours long. - Fantastic cosmetic system that involves perfecting combat and collecting unique items. - Your party members will use your some of the gifts you give them throughout the game, adding a nice
    For once the average review score is pretty spot on in my opinion.

- The combat is absolutely amazing and extremely addicting.
    - Two different story perspectives, each about 25-30 hours long.
    - Your party members will use your some of the gifts you give them throughout the game, adding a nice immersion factor.

I will say that the game dragged on in a few spots. Each chapter you're essentially forced to do bonding quests to upgrade the SAS effects for each party member. Some of these side bonding quests are very dialogue heavy, not particularly interesting, and can be a bit dull. I would say these bonding quests and dialogue can easily take up 30-40% of the game time, making it a pretty tedious and boring process. Towards the end I found myself skipping through dialogue pretty quickly.

Overall a very fun game with a very interesting combat system. I would definitely purchase a sequel if one is made in the future.
  33. Aug 22, 2021
    I felt no real passion behind this game. It's so easy to make generic anime games....
  34. Jul 16, 2021
    I was a little hesitant to buy this game initially. I was not a fan of this teams previous game Code Vain, and this really wasnt doing it for me at first. I will say I am glad I gave it a chance as it was a fairly surprising action JRPG that surprised me with how much fun it could be at times.
    Starting with the story and characters and Scarlet Nexus mostly nails it. You play as either Yuito or Kasane, two new recruits to the OSF. It's EXTREMELY anime and also EXTREMELY Sci-Fi. If you aren't a fan of either one, then this will make you cringe with some of the tropes that pop up from both genres. Each story beat works out fairly well, but I'd highly recommend playing through as Kasane first to get a better understanding of the early to middle portion of the game as alot of Yuito's story elements from chapters 3-5 are hardly explained in the slightest and leave you confused for quite awhile till much later in the game. What helps is the characters and the bond episodes you can do with each one that really flesh out their thoughts and feelings. It feels very much like Persona in that regard and it works out great. Also helps that most of the characters are voiced by high level voice over artists, alot I recognize from some of the better animes I've seen over the past few years. It's very well done.
    The combat also works very well. Both Kasane and Yuito have the same psychokinesis power that works with a dedicated button but Kasana is a mid range fighter and Yuito is close range. It really adds alot of depth while playing it since they both feel so different from each other during combat. I'd say the biggest issue can be that the camera is a bit wonky at times and the lock on system just some times doesnt seem to work for unknown reasons. Honestly the worst part about the game is the over world and levels you play through multiple times throughout the story. Each area is so bland and linear. It's hard to want to do any of the horrible side quests when each level is not very fun to play through.
    At the end of the day though there's alot to like here. You have to play through both characters story to fully understand what is going on. I am glad that they did keep open the possibility of a second game down the road if this one does well. I'd be very happy playing through another game set in this universe.
  35. Aug 22, 2021
    Pretty disappointing game to be honest. Wait for sale at best, but overall not recommending.
  36. Jul 2, 2021
    contrals are bad
    and i had to DAWNLOUD A HACK!!!! to get thorw a level that i didnt had the guy needed to pass it and i had to go to old saves to see if i could fix it and nothing, dont by this **** jsut watch a video or just..... black beard it i dotn want to say the ship name xD
  37. Aug 27, 2021
    More than half way in the game so will edit the post if opinion changes.

Bought it for ~23 euros. felt like it was a really nice deal with 40% off of new game. IF you are a HC Scarlet Nexus or Anime fan in general, You just might like this game. I have no clue why it got 8/10...but each their own. Main story> probably the only thing which is making me not send an angry letter to
    More than half way in the game so will edit the post if opinion changes.

I have no clue why it got 8/10...but each their own.

Main story> probably the only thing which is making me not send an angry letter to Sony and asking for refund. Its reasonable story and voice acting (jap) and characters are decent, considering its from Anime.
    Side+extra> does not exist, its not even fetch and kill this quests. its just nothing.

Gameplay: No gameplay, You will find 10 "wish they did not do it like this" in first 10 mins of combat gameplay. Progression of skills and items is so dim and moronic, it makes this game non RPG.
    its a story driven>non choice based (other than you choosing main char) non open world, no side quests anime based sloppy content.

Heed from my mistake> do not buy it.

have a nice day
  38. Jul 10, 2021
    Scarlet Nexus
    One of the Most Boring good games ive ever played
    Scarlet Nexus is a 16 hour long action JRPG where you play as either Kasane or Yuito, I had to look up their nae before I wrote this review, because that’s how little I cared about this games story. The story seems to be very hit and miss, which isn’t necessarily a good thing considered half of the game is voiced dialog
    Scarlet Nexus
    One of the Most Boring good games ive ever played
    The story seems to be very hit and miss, which isn’t necessarily a good thing considered half of the game is voiced dialog comic styled cutscenes… Im not exaggerating, you spend just as much time sitting, waiting for the action to happen as you do actually playing.. some seem to love the story, I however was bored out of my mind, basically youre part of a group of people with special powers, the government is after your brains, youre losing or have lost your memories, something about spaghetti noodles coming from the sky, youre on the governments hitlist and you gotta stop these moon people from destroying earth.. I think.. I think that’s the story… if youre not intogovernemnt conspiracy, half this game.. this is now an 8 hour action jrpg that thankfully is a blast to play though.. you have telekenisis and a sword, you cn slic enemies up as well as throw objects and use the environment to do massive damage, as you progress the game youll unlock new abilities.. which seems to never stop, tutorials will pop up literally the entirety of the games campaign, but as you make it through th story, more charcters will join your party and youre able to borrow their powers as you take on these moon cratures known as others, you can use fire powers, invisiblity, dashing, electric, super speed, dashing, and work up your skill tree to the point that you can stack these abilities, all on cool down.. this is when the game is at its best, taking down enemies and bosses… is the gameplay good enough to justify a purchase on its own though? No.
    Scarelt nexus is insaley repeitve, youre just goin around these very Japanese game styled maps, getting locked ito areas, clearing them and moving on.. youll see a lot of repeat areas, not even counting the optional bonding missions you can do with each of this games characters, so youll rarely come to a cool new area being begged to explore and even if you did there is no exploration incetive, the gear and weapons here are awful, you wont find new wepons, you just by them from a shop that thankfully just shows up in these dungeons, you don’t have to fast travel to a hub or wait until a mission is over to buy consumables, but these 5 weapons for each charcter you buy just will show up the deeper you get into the game, and you buy them and equip them, that sabout as deep as the loot system goes..
    If th sound of a government conspiracy trying to steel the brains of these kidswith crazy powers doesn’t excite you, there is no reason to pick this one up..
    While I found the story to be painfully slow, drawn out, and boring, others are liking it, and for those people, scarlet nexus offers a good package, and a 16 plus hours youll really enjoy, you might even enjoy it enough to play it twice for both sides of the story,
    for me, I could barely manage the story the first time around
    I give Scarlet Nexus
    a 7/10
  39. Jun 26, 2021
    good game, great combat, but could have more animated cutscenes............
  40. Aug 8, 2021
    This game is like the love child of the Nier series and the Persona series

Combat and Story really reminds me of the Nier series and the characters and their interactions reminds me of the Persona series which is obviously a good thing
  41. Jul 11, 2021
    This game is perfect! It's got amazing fast paced fluid combat. It's got Persona vibes with the bond episodes and just the overall anime-ness of this game is fantastic. I don't really have anything else to say about it other than this is probably the best game I've played so far in 2021. I love the resurgance of hack and slash combat in games. This game alongside Nier Replicant, Persona 5This game is perfect! It's got amazing fast paced fluid combat. It's got Persona vibes with the bond episodes and just the overall anime-ness of this game is fantastic. I don't really have anything else to say about it other than this is probably the best game I've played so far in 2021. I love the resurgance of hack and slash combat in games. This game alongside Nier Replicant, Persona 5 Strikers and No More Heroes 3 which is launching in August. It's a great year for hack and slash combat. I am so happy!!! Expand
  42. Jan 6, 2022
    The visuals are the best part. The enemy designs are fantastic. The story is run-of-the-mill nonsensical anime, and the characters are shallow. The gameplay is frenetic and unbalanced. The level design is uninspired made up of hallways with limited opportunities for engagement, that you have to do over and over and over again, and that's just in the first playthrough. I can see this seriesThe visuals are the best part. The enemy designs are fantastic. The story is run-of-the-mill nonsensical anime, and the characters are shallow. The gameplay is frenetic and unbalanced. The level design is uninspired made up of hallways with limited opportunities for engagement, that you have to do over and over and over again, and that's just in the first playthrough. I can see this series improving considerably with sequels, but this one is average at its best, and frustrating and boring at its worst. Expand
  43. Jun 27, 2021
    It is a game that makes good use of the advantages of the 'Dual Sense' gamepad.
  44. Jun 27, 2021
    Game looks beautiful, great and fun combat, great characters and story, i really like this game :) Also soundtrack is really good
  45. Sep 16, 2021
    Loved the combat and general gameplay but the story and side storys were such a slog for me that i was glad when i finished it. which is a shame.
  46. Jul 19, 2021
    If you like JRPGS and Anime, then this is a must buy game for you! The graphics and character design are among the best I´ve seen in a game of this type, gameplay is fantastic and addictive and it gets more complete when you start learning more skills, combos and powers and start mixing them together, you get an extraordinary satisfaction in combat that´s really cool!

After finishing my

After finishing my first playthrough with Yuito I can say that story gets better and better and at the end everything blows up in madness and spectacularity, last chapter of the game is among the best
    I´ve played in a videogame, it was so cool and exciting. The only flaws of the game I would say are the graphic novel style sequences that can get boring and a little tedious and the meaningless side quests (they´re not really side quests, they´re just extra tasks and most of them can be done very easily). Music is also on point and I really hope they make this game a Franchise, I need a trilogy at least because of the fantastic characters and gameplay! I absolutely recommend this game!! It runs smoothly in PS5 and didn´t run with any bugs or issues during my first 50 hours of gameplay!
  47. Aug 1, 2021
    This is a Japan style action RPG. The story is amazing and the action is outstanding.
  48. Aug 5, 2021
    I really love this. My favorite JRPG game now!
    Hope that we will get the second part!
  49. Jun 27, 2021
    Es como jugar a un anime, el combate es increíble y los personajes y la trama está muy bien
  50. Jun 30, 2021
    Story is not that interesting but the gameplay and RPG mechanics make the game super fun.
  51. Aug 21, 2021
    This is one of the most exciting games I've played. It's USP is clearly the innovative combat and unique story lines. Playing it with a ps5 dualsense is a nice bonus too
  52. Nov 5, 2021
    Really love the combat. The graphics could be a bit better. I don't give it a higher score because story wise, despite being good, has it's flaws. And some of the characters aren't interesting or explored in a better way
  53. Jul 27, 2021
    Through my first play through I would have given it an 8/8.5. The story is great and the combat is mostly smooth with some odd glaring discrepancies. There was a lot of reading an excessive release with little cut scenes felt cheap to me. But the exp cap to get the last trophy was excessive - only levelling a few times throughout the ENTIRE second play through made grinding one area forThrough my first play through I would have given it an 8/8.5. The story is great and the combat is mostly smooth with some odd glaring discrepancies. There was a lot of reading an excessive release with little cut scenes felt cheap to me. But the exp cap to get the last trophy was excessive - only levelling a few times throughout the ENTIRE second play through made grinding one area for four hours the only way to get all the skills. This comes with players being able to pay more and get an item that increases exp gains. If there had been a horde mode or more respectable effort to appreciate the players I would have kept my ordinal impression but the game deserves to be knocked for it. Expand
  54. Jun 27, 2021
    Awesome gameplay and deserve 9 rate Still not finished yet but i‘m sure is overall a good game
  55. Jun 28, 2021
    This is one of the best JRPGs of 2021 so far! The characters, story, level design, and music is top notch. The combat is also fun and fast-paced. Highly recommend if you are a fan of JRPGs or anime games!
  56. Jun 28, 2021
    Отличная игра!Интересный сюжет и боёвка в стиле аниме.По игре также выпустили аниме,которое тоже на высоком уровне.
  57. Jul 4, 2021
    The combat is okay in the beginning, but once you unlock more abilities, the combat becomes interesting pairing them. The story is cliche, but decent. I’m looking forward to the next entry or dlc.
  58. Jul 13, 2021
    Scarlet Nexus is no doubt, going to be a nominee for best RPG of the year, Hell might even win best RPG of the year, HELL MIGHT EVEN BE GAME OF THE YEAR. The game is a Dual-narrative following the stories of Main characters Yuito and Kasase. Unlike some Dual Narrative games (COUGH COUGH BIOHAZARD RE:2) this games story actually works with no noticeable contradictions to either protagonistsScarlet Nexus is no doubt, going to be a nominee for best RPG of the year, Hell might even win best RPG of the year, HELL MIGHT EVEN BE GAME OF THE YEAR. The game is a Dual-narrative following the stories of Main characters Yuito and Kasase. Unlike some Dual Narrative games (COUGH COUGH BIOHAZARD RE:2) this games story actually works with no noticeable contradictions to either protagonists story. The differences expands to enemy appearances and antagonists. Despite Microsoft’s extremely poor advertising (stop trying to americanise this very Japanese game) the game is the best RPG released so far. The graphics are extremely smooth on PS4 which makes it hard to believe it can be enhanced on PS5 with an upgrade. Scarlet Nexus is a must buy game, if you don’t wish to sit through the slideshow style cutscenes. There is an animated series following a similar story to the game. IF YOURE A BRILLIANT HUMAN BEING AND WATCH BOTH THE ANIME AND PLAY THE GAME, THERE ARE SECRET PASSWORDS IN EACH EPISODE OF THE ANIME TO FIND HIDDEN GOODIES IN THE GAME. Overall great game, get it now Expand
  59. Jul 27, 2021
    Combat is incredible! Story is very cliche but its not horrible, base and character development stuff is amazing as well! Worth it on a sale, plus you can probs beat if in a weekend.
  60. Jul 31, 2021
    Battles that mix telekinesis with weapons are the most fun.
    I was also moved by the story from the perspective of the two main characters.
  61. Oct 1, 2021
    I dislike this game and I think I dislike it even more knowing it's the kind of game that garners good reviews. Graphics are in line with current standards, it's full of voice acting, cutscenes, special moves, it's full of everything.

The setting is tired and eye rolling. You are dropped into a futuristic world where random monsters appear in suburbia and you're part of the task force to stop them. The monsters remind me of other dated JRPG designs, trying so hard to be original they fail completely. Flowers and lightbulbs for heads, puppets and goth horror themes mixed in. No backstory to them that I recall.

The cutscenes are super painful to watch for me, drawn out dialog that is hard to believe an adult wrote. Awkward and implausible lines, teen romance tropes, bottom of the barrel anime twists. Lots of cheapness and still shots, a cutscene every few minutes since they know the gameplay is repetitive. When there's not a cutscene a window is popping up to tell you something. You try to close it and it always says "exit tutorial?". Bleh.

OK, skip all cutscenes, is the game good then? I recall a lot of mashy sword fighting, but I guess the intent is you focus on the mechanics like the telekinetic object throwing. Y'know what else had exactly that? Control. But that I liked. Nothing was challenging for the first hours of gameplay. You get some difficulty eventually, starting with the Naomi fight I think. Still just a long fest of mashing though.

The world and levels weren't good, again modern looking graphics but for what? So we can slog through 100 train tunnels and parking lots fighting easy forgettable monsters?

In summary, exactly the kind of uninspired game I don't want to see, from people who could probably do a lot better. It could have at least had a character creator instead of choose from 2. At least have weapon choices, from the start. Some bad elements are quite forgivable but this had nothing going for it from what I saw.

I don't think this game was a well received as it looks. It was quickly on sale, now for gamepass too. Try it if you must but if you want something similar but good I'm sure I can recommend, well, a lot of things. Ciao gamers.
  62. Oct 10, 2021
    Esse jogo é um lixo os inimigos são ridículos e no jogo todo são poucos a variedade, os chefes são fáceis e com designer ridículo também, os cenários são dignos de um jogo de ps1, são rasos superficiais com zero de exploração interação, corredores em linhas retas, as vezes a camera ou fica longe demais ou fica perto demais , péssimo,
  63. Mar 24, 2022
    Wow, what a game! Its got story straight from best anime series, great combat and graphics (both remind me of Nier Automata). One of the best games of recent years, sleeper hit of 2021, my personal GOTY along with Returnal, Halo Infinite, Metroid Dread and Outriders.
  64. Dec 6, 2021
    Fun combat surrounded by mediocre everything else. The combat doesn't start out great, but after unlocking new abilities through leveling and bonds, it gets great.

The cast of characters are all over, but in my opinion none of them are fleshed out enough to seem human like Persona and Yakuza LaD were able to achieve. They just seem like anime archetypes with shallow backgrounds, which is a shame seeing as a lot of them are heavily hinted at being much older than they look.

Level design is bland, basic and straight forward, many places are reused throughout the game. Settings are again nothing that new, cyberpunk cities, snowy areas, sterile scifi buildings, etc.

The story is just bad, doesn't start out that way but eventually it all seems so all over the place. By the end you'll realize MAYBE if two protagonist's teams communicated earlier, which they can do telepathically whenever they want, they could've saved a lot of trouble. Major betrayals happen and are quickly forgotten, they use the same twists multiple times, just... frustrating overall.
  65. Nov 17, 2021
    In short, this is a game with a great combat system, that is dragged down by nearly every other aspect.

This game has some fairly unique concepts when it comes to combat, and the combat plays smoothly and feels polished once you get used to it. The progression system is decent, you spend points to unlock abilities and they do open up some doors in combat and in some cases give you

The progression system is decent, you spend points to unlock abilities and they do open up some doors in combat and in some cases give you really useful abilities.

The combat abilities that you can use after they "charge up" were kind of neat but were so infrequent that I pretty much forgot they were even there for the majority of the game.

The combat really shines in the ability to borrow abilities from your teammates, but when you get good at it the game becomes super easy.

As far as equipment and crafting, its all very basic and not interesting (you get items that are literally called like "A material" and "B material"). The customization options for appearance all looked terrible.

The music and art style are both decent, seems like they were both inspired by the Persona series.

All of the above is not nearly enough to get through the DULL dialogue and Cut scenes. The game starts out throwing way too many one-note boring characters at you that its hard to keep track of whose who, or to find the will to care, and by the time I do have them all sorted out, I find myself not caring about any of them and their (mostly) lifeless dialog

By the end I was skipping most of the cutscenes to just get the game over with, I didn't care anymore and the dialogue was too painfully boring to slog through any further. The different "zones" were all very linear and boring also.

The cherry on top is that the side quests are among the worst I've ever seen.
  66. Jun 24, 2022
    Anime lovers uniteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  67. Oct 6, 2021
    This game is lesser known but surprised me.
    From the PS5 games I've played, adaptive triggers work best in this one. Combat is so amazing.

However, what happened to the story? I chose Yuito and 50% of the game time I had no idea about the story and why people try to kill me. Really should start with Kasane...
  68. Jan 3, 2022
    Scarlet Nexus is underwhelming. Most characters are as bland and full of tropes as many anime characters I saw, nothing special. The setting was cool but it looks like Bandai Namco didn't know how to tell a story in a fascinating way, as they seemingly messed up a lot in terms of writing. There were many moments I was like WTF!, when narrative & gameplay (or atmosphere) felt weird andScarlet Nexus is underwhelming. Most characters are as bland and full of tropes as many anime characters I saw, nothing special. The setting was cool but it looks like Bandai Namco didn't know how to tell a story in a fascinating way, as they seemingly messed up a lot in terms of writing. There were many moments I was like WTF!, when narrative & gameplay (or atmosphere) felt weird and didn't fit together. The game had few decent plot twists here and there, besides OSTs were forgettable. On the other hand, combat was engaging enough to fairly say that it's definitely the best part of the game. It also had some cool designs in background. Overall, SN had potential to be a great RPG but failed to deliver.

In my opinion, gameplay alone is not enough to make a RPG good, but a coherent story & well-written cast are undoubtedly indispensable.

69. Mar 29, 2022
    Es ist ein lustiges Spiel mit lustigem Gameplay und einer ziemlich guten Geschichte, obwohl die Geschichte sehr, sehr unnötig in die Länge gezogen wird.
  70. Mar 16, 2022
    Combat is not great but Babylon's Fall has an average of 4. Yeah, that makes sense.
  71. Nov 5, 2021
    Game was just as fun and interesting as the trailers made it out to be. I got it due to its similarities to Astral Chain which I loved and its just as good and better in some ways. This game has some of the best combat I've ever experienced. Its fluid, satisfying, and every new power you unlock changes how you approach every fight. The character designs were great and so were theGame was just as fun and interesting as the trailers made it out to be. I got it due to its similarities to Astral Chain which I loved and its just as good and better in some ways. This game has some of the best combat I've ever experienced. Its fluid, satisfying, and every new power you unlock changes how you approach every fight. The character designs were great and so were the characters themselves for the most part. Now for the bad. As much as I enjoy the bond episodes the methods of unlocking them feel a bit repetitive and annoying which then detracts from experience of the bond episode. The enemy designs were pretty cool, but most of the enemies are variants of the base version so at times they would feel kinda lame. The side quests (there are around a little over 60 if you do both storylines) are very simple, very mid, and very repetitive. The rewards they offer aren't worth very much and are clearly implemented to take up time. That's the case for most games side quests, but its at its worse in this game and is certainly its biggest shortcoming. Onto the most conflicting part; the story. The story starts off very strong. Starting off setting up the world and the characters and it gets even stronger throughout the rest of the game with the crazy lore details. Unfortunately the last few chapters weren't as enjoyable due to the story getting immensely convoluted. Overall a VERY great hack and slasher with a very solid story with a few very annoying shortcomings that were implemented just to raise play time. Expand
  72. Nov 22, 2021
    ╭───────────╮
    ┃_____● ══__⊙°°    ┃
    ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃█ █┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃ ┃
    ╭───────────╮
    ┃_____● ══__⊙°°    ┃
    ┃█ █┃
    ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃
    ┃███████████┃ ┃███████████┃
    ┃
  73. Feb 1, 2022
    Un excelente juego con una historia bastante buena, la cual te mantiene constantemente pegado a la pantalla aparte de tener una muy buena jugabilidad.
  74. Mar 8, 2022
    Okay combat, graphics, voice acting and music.
    Boring and uninteresting story and characters.
    I have played the game for 6 hours on Xbox Game Pass.
    I gave the game a fair chance and was interested at first, but the game failed to keep me interested.
  75. Mar 25, 2022
    I really wanted to love this game soooo bad. I preordered and almost never do digital preorders so that was something. The game really could have been alot better. But alot of the execution was questionable at best. The combat requires tooo much investment to start enjoying and feels lazy until your like 15 hours in and got your skill tree up. No reason you shouldn't be able to do thingsI really wanted to love this game soooo bad. I preordered and almost never do digital preorders so that was something. The game really could have been alot better. But alot of the execution was questionable at best. The combat requires tooo much investment to start enjoying and feels lazy until your like 15 hours in and got your skill tree up. No reason you shouldn't be able to do things like air dodging and vital normal maneuvers from the start. I can understand the ESP or whatever stuff, but that was very questionable and I think allowing for full control of AI partners would have made this soo much better. Allowing the combat to be a little more RPG in that element, a good example of what I mean is say FFVIIR where your AI can be switched to mid combat if you need there skills or want to use them. The story is okay and the characters are pretty generic run of the mill animesh characters. Some likable and some loveable but nothing unique or standout. I think not hating any is its accomplishment in that department lol. Either way, I will eventually get back to the game but it's not an amazing game by any feat. Just good Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2022
    I dig anime games but the combat itself got old pretty fast. Wish the characters got more different kind of unique outfits to be honest.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 68 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 9, 2021
    Scarlet Nexus is a fun action RPG-lite that has a complex story and a bunch of unnecessary gaming mechanics that somehow work. If you like games like Astral Chain, you will not go wrong with Scarlet Nexus, especially as it’s being set up as a potential future franchise. The combination of telekinesis and action elements are nothing new, but SN does it beautifully by combining it with other different skills and magics. If you like Anime and brainpunk themes, Scarlet Nexus is for you.
  2. Aug 5, 2021
    An interesting story with well-developed characters and expert enemy design, that - however - does take a while to really get going. On top of that, not every sidequest is worth your attention. Don't let that stop you, though. Scarlet Nexus is a great game.
  3. PLAY
    Jul 28, 2021
    This psychically gifted title has a killer look and telekinetically wielded right hook. Unfortunately, it fails to read our mind and outstays its welcome. [Issue#4, p.75]