7.4

1. Nov 13, 2014
    I love Minecraft. I've been playing since early alpha, and even though I don't play that much Mincraft anymore, I was still very excited to hear there was a Vita version coming up.
    And even though it took them more than a year for it to be released, it's finally here.

Make no mistake, this is not a port of the Pocket Edition version for Android and iOS. This is the full PS3/360 experience. Which is awesome, because frankly, the Pocket Edition just isn't complete enough for me to enjoy it. And even though it has unlimited worlds, the Vita version is more feature complete.
    Sadly, the only thing holding it back slightly are the worlds. The worlds in this version are small. Not as small as early Pocket Edition, but still not too big.
    This is because of Sony policies (and probably Microsofts too) about save file size. This is a big restriction and I think that Sony needs to reevaluate these policies so that we might see slightly bigger worlds.
    Luckily, they're still big enough for you to have enough space to build and explore.

Another negative that I have to bring up are the graphics. While I love how Minecraft looks, there are some problems with this port in particular.
    For one: The draw distance is really short, even compared to the PS3 version.
    And two: The framerate tends to dip from time to time. It's not that bad, and when you're just busy building and mining, you probably won't notice it, but it's still something that has to be brought up.
    Let's hope that 4jStudio can improve these some more in a patch.

But still, even though these last things were negative, it's good from here on.
    It's the full console experience on my favorite handheld. There is so much to do, you can build, you can hunt, you can craft and almost everything in between. It's so nice to just pick this game up while you're on the train or the bus, play for a couple of minutes. Or when you're on vacation and you need your Minecraft fix.
    And you can even bring your save files from the PS3 with you. That's right, the game features cross-save. This allows you to transfer your worlds from the PS3 to the Vita, and backwards. Sadly this is only semi-compatible with the PS4 version. You can transfer your worlds to the PS4 version, but you can't receive worlds, due to the bigger world size.
    A great thing about the cross-save feature that I never see mentioned anywhere, is that it allows you to download worlds from the internet, put the saves on the PS3, and than transfer these saves to your Vita. So now you can bring things like that cool recreation of the Kanto region you saw online, or a Sky Block survival map with you on the go.

This is by far my favorite version of Minecraft. It's not the best by any means, but having Minecraft on the go with physical controls and tons of features just totally kicks ass. And the best things is that new content is on it's way. Like horses, witches, bats and many other things.
    I recommend this game to everybody that likes Minecraft, or exploration and building games in general.
  2. Dec 25, 2014
    Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition is the definitive version for this game. It is possibly the best way to experience Minecraft on the go. The reason I state this is because, personally, I absolutely despise touchscreen controls on tablets and smartphones. The portability to play Minecraft is constantly ruined by dirty touchscreens and high friction between the screen and the fingers.Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition is the definitive version for this game. It is possibly the best way to experience Minecraft on the go. The reason I state this is because, personally, I absolutely despise touchscreen controls on tablets and smartphones. The portability to play Minecraft is constantly ruined by dirty touchscreens and high friction between the screen and the fingers. However, the Playstation Vita, where it has touchscreens and buttons, offers that portability, and it's done in a magnificent way.

I won't go into much detail about Minecraft since the Vita version is basically the same as all the other versions. I will, however, mention the certain technical issues that exist within the PS Vita edition. First of all, the frame-rate will drop when the game is loading the map while you're playing as well as certain graphical issues that can interfere with the loading. Also, when you buy a texture pack, there will be times where you select the purchased texture pack for your world, and the game crashes. Other than those details, I think this is the best way to experience Minecraft on the go.

The controls work as well as they should be, the graphics are as sharp and crisp as the console and PC versions, and the game runs as well as your PC would. Overall, I highly recommend this game for the Playstation Vita.
  3. Jan 18, 2015
    Let's put it this way, did you play Minecraft on either PC,PS3,PS4,Xbox 360, Xbox One or any phone and tablet? of course you did, but this is the best portable version and is definitely worth the purchase.
  4. Dec 13, 2014
    I would buy a vita if the only game available for it was Minecraft. It is just such an amazing, deep (mining pun), and fun game. If you have played it on last Gen it is the same game you can pop to same save back and forth between ps3 and Vita. You will notice a graphical difference between vita and next gen, but Minecraft isn't about the graphics anyway. If you've only ever play it viaI would buy a vita if the only game available for it was Minecraft. It is just such an amazing, deep (mining pun), and fun game. If you have played it on last Gen it is the same game you can pop to same save back and forth between ps3 and Vita. You will notice a graphical difference between vita and next gen, but Minecraft isn't about the graphics anyway. If you've only ever play it via pocket edition it is exponentially better. Come on folks get it, just go get it. Expand
  5. Nov 24, 2014
    What can I say? You tell me you have not played MINECRAFT? Get out of here! Once you get used to controls you start to create castles, deathstars and Da Vinci's art. It should have exploited the touch screens to make it the best version of the franchise, even if PC has a lot of more content. Perfect and suitable to a handheld.
  6. Nov 19, 2014
    This to me is the best version of minecraft. There's more content in the original on PC, but I think the setup and controls on the vita are much better. The downside is the add ons (dlc) take an incredibly long time to get on the vita. And a lot of the ps3 additional content is NOT available on vita. But is absolutely worth the money, tons of fun, and will take a lot of your time beforeThis to me is the best version of minecraft. There's more content in the original on PC, but I think the setup and controls on the vita are much better. The downside is the add ons (dlc) take an incredibly long time to get on the vita. And a lot of the ps3 additional content is NOT available on vita. But is absolutely worth the money, tons of fun, and will take a lot of your time before you realize it! Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2014
    there isnt much too tell if you've already played(or know) about the original minecraft
    it's fun, challenging, additive...

the only downside is that there is a map size limit which takes out some aspect's of exploring
  8. Jun 7, 2016
    It's been a number of years since there was a portable game this huge in scale where you can build a kingdom for yourself then take it online all on a great little handheld package, going from console to Vita will take no time at all getting used to the altered controls, since the latest patch there was a tiny bit of input lag I noticed in combat during busy scenes but... it's minor forIt's been a number of years since there was a portable game this huge in scale where you can build a kingdom for yourself then take it online all on a great little handheld package, going from console to Vita will take no time at all getting used to the altered controls, since the latest patch there was a tiny bit of input lag I noticed in combat during busy scenes but... it's minor for how great a port this is of such a huge project onto the small screen. Expand
  9. May 2, 2015
    While it has some smaller performance issues, the fantastic open-ended main appeal and gameplay of this modern classic really make up it. Minecraft is a legendary game that is best played on Playstation Vita.
  10. Aug 26, 2016
    Even though PS Vita graphics are worse than pocket edition, it still very enjoyable game. Sure it lacks some features like unlimited world, but I'm not complaining about it.
  11. Jul 13, 2016
    I don't know why people hate when minecraft is on a handheld? This version has good controls smooth gameplay and much more. I give this a try and it's not bad.
  12. Jul 27, 2017
    I enjoyed this version of the game, it's been great to play on the go. Since the Switch version has come out more recently, I would recommend that one more for on the go, but the Vita version is good with me.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 14, 2014
    The best possible way to bring m=Minecraft to a handheld device. There are some technical limitations, but the possibility to play the game everywhere you want with solid controls makes this one of the best versions of Minecraft available today.
  2. Oct 26, 2014
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    An uncompromising edition of a modern classic, this is an essential addition to your handheld library.