7.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Oct 20, 2015
    Operation Abyss isn't the best dungeon rpg on Vita, but it's still a good game and I enjoyed it a bit more than Demon Gaze since its challenge was more solid and I felt I had more options. Solid story too, with some nice twists that made the exoerience more enjoyable. I hope NIS localize the other games in the series, too.
  2. Mar 30, 2016
    Operation Abyss is a pretty good game, or it would be if it wasn't bogged down by its atrocious UI. Seriously, almost nothing in this game follows the basic rules of how the simplest of menus should work. Trying to check your status or buying items from the shop will leave you blundering around checking and trying to understand every option. It feels like Operation Abyss tried to beOperation Abyss is a pretty good game, or it would be if it wasn't bogged down by its atrocious UI. Seriously, almost nothing in this game follows the basic rules of how the simplest of menus should work. Trying to check your status or buying items from the shop will leave you blundering around checking and trying to understand every option. It feels like Operation Abyss tried to be unique, but didn't realize in time why the UI conventions we have exist in the first place. Don't even bother trying to look in the manual for how to do what you're looking to do because you'll be sent in circles trying to understand the ridiculous jargon.
    The story isn't enough for me, a serial FFWD-er, to pay attention to. The character designs and art direction are just passable, and the battle system is about as senseless as anything else.
    It being a simple (aka, hard mess up) genre saves it from destruction, and it has its own enjoyable moments, but I'd say to skip it. The frustrations aren't worth it, it's too hard to *really* get into because it is so incomprehensible.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 22, 2015
    It's hard to recommend Operation Abyss to anyone except hardcore dungeon crawler fans. The story just doesn't have the content for a game of this length, and dungeon design issues often make exploration and advancing a major annoyance.
  2. Oct 1, 2015
    At times, it actively goes out of its way to stop you from enjoying yourself with its awful menu system and nefarious mazes. But if you give it a chance, learn its intricate systems and master its labyrinth-like dungeons, there is a very solid and enjoyable old-school dungeon crawler hidden underneath its harsh exterior that is waiting to be savored by those who are willing to give it a chance.
  3. CD-Action
    Sep 18, 2015
    The story bored me before the actual game even started and then I was forced to explore uninspired, ugly interiors and kill wacky monsters in fights that take forever. [09/2015, p.69]