• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Oct 2, 1997
9.2

1. Alucart
    Jan 21, 2006
    Played, finished it with the 197% completion rate, but never found it being an exciting game. Maybe it's because of the reason that I finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow not so long ago and they make this one to feel somewhat lacky, messy and boring. That, or this game is just over-rated. One thing is for sure (okay, two things): The voice acting is indeed Played, finished it with the 197% completion rate, but never found it being an exciting game. Maybe it's because of the reason that I finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow not so long ago and they make this one to feel somewhat lacky, messy and boring. That, or this game is just over-rated. One thing is for sure (okay, two things): The voice acting is indeed _horrible_ (it's a common fact) and the game's plot was really uninteresting (or badly attached in the game). Expand
  2. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    An incredible adventure. Very engaging and fun.
  3. May 30, 2015
    It's a good game, just incredibly overrated. Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia are far better games and honestly make Symphony of the Night feel quite boring. At the end of the day there's nothing that SotN does that you won't find much better in the newer entries.

That being said though, Richter mode in SotN is still loads of fun.
  4. Nov 24, 2015
    SOTN is a great game, but it's far from perfect. I never understand review scores of 8+ for games which are great.... But clearly not worth such high ratings.
    Why is SOTN 'only' worth a 7? I'll explain.
    Why is SOTN 'only' worth a 7? I'll explain.

The game is a follow up to a Japanese only release on the PC-Engine CD format, a game that it borrows from extensively (right down to a great deal of enemy sprites which are just ported over intact), but changes from a defined 'level' system (a-b-c), to a more open world system. It's reminiscent of the Metroid games in that respect, which again, it borrows wholeheartedly from in gameplay terms.
    So essentially is a game with (slightly better than 16-bit) graphics, that rips off game structure, and whose designers couldn't be bothered to develop a new set of characters for.
    Now I know that some character designs do inhabit the 'world' of Castlevania (God damn Medusa Heads!!!) but to simply cut and paste from an older game is just lazy. It could have been so much more diverse and interesting.
    However, there are two MAJOR problems with the game that knock its rating down severely.
    The first is that the game is incredibly easy to 'break'. It's not as if the game is that difficult anyway, but certain combinations of the equipment you collect make the protagonist, Alucard, practically invincible. And I'm not talking about right at the end of the game, I'm talking about not that far in.
    The second is the utterly horrible American 'dub'. The graphical style of the game is clearly Japanese, from the in-game graphics as you play, to the static images/portraits in the menus, to the box art itself... But rather than release the game with a dual language/subtitles option, we had to endure some of the most cringe-worthy spoken dialogue ever put into a video game. It's almost if someone directing the 'rent a voice' actors was saying to them 'no, that's far to enigmatic and resonant, do it again and this time make yourself sound whiny and pathetic'. I never could understand that, but a Japanese language version has never been made 'officially' available in the West... For shame!

#2 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 1997
#1 Most Shared PS1 Game of 1997

1. GMR Magazine
    A certifiable classic. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. Not to be missed.
  3. netjak
    With at least four known endings, Symphony's already astounding replay value is entirely phenomenal.