Final Fantasy IX

PlayStation
9.1

1. RaxsahW
    Jan 20, 2010
    The most underrated Final Fantasy to have ever been made. I admit, the attention to character art during normal gameplay isn't the best (better than FF7 though) but the backdrops and sceneries are stunning. The storyline is captivating, surprising you with unexpected plot twists that intertwine with each other flawlessly. Each character also has his/her own story which leads you to a The most underrated Final Fantasy to have ever been made. I admit, the attention to character art during normal gameplay isn't the best (better than FF7 though) but the backdrops and sceneries are stunning. The storyline is captivating, surprising you with unexpected plot twists that intertwine with each other flawlessly. Each character also has his/her own story which leads you to a deeper understanding of them and how they have come to be where they are during the game. A masterpiece that was unfortunately released too late as by this time, the PS2 had already been in the market for a good year or so I believe, which diverted everyone's attention from the game. To anyone thinking of trying the game out, I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    Definitely my favourite Final Fantasy game and one of the best jrps ever created. A perfect example how FF should look like. Take a note SE, you could make great games in past... Now look at yourselves...
  3. Aug 9, 2011
    Music -

The music in this installment is superior in every way. All tracks are creative and enthralling.

Gameplay -

4 characters in one party (8 characters total, with a couple temporaries, all unique, memorable and interesting), wonderful equipment and ability system, battles can be intense and super fun.

Story -

Epic. Doesn't get any better.
  4. DomH.
    Feb 6, 2007
    This is the best FF game I've ever played. I own 6,7,9,10,10-2 and have pre-ordered 12 and used to have eight. im a true fanatic but I haven't played any of the others as much as I have this. Overall i have probably played over 500 hours of final fantasy IX and recently my disc one stopped working due to overuse. it was the first person game I bought and was money well spent. This is the best FF game I've ever played. I own 6,7,9,10,10-2 and have pre-ordered 12 and used to have eight. im a true fanatic but I haven't played any of the others as much as I have this. Overall i have probably played over 500 hours of final fantasy IX and recently my disc one stopped working due to overuse. it was the first person game I bought and was money well spent. The battle system, while a little slow is my personal favorite as well as skills being gained through armour ansd items it creates the best system in my opinion. the varied characters and excellent storyline combine to greate my favorite computer game of all time and once I've bought a second copy I will be completing it for the seventh time. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2011
    The biggest mistake I ever made was waiting 11 years to play this game. It has everything you could want in an RPG. Mini games, a lengthy story, lots of beautiful cutscenes. The pre-rendered graphics are beautiful and make the game look like an interactive piece of art. The 3D graphics are comparable to Final Fantasy VIII, but the overworld looks terrible. Even the overworld in FinalThe biggest mistake I ever made was waiting 11 years to play this game. It has everything you could want in an RPG. Mini games, a lengthy story, lots of beautiful cutscenes. The pre-rendered graphics are beautiful and make the game look like an interactive piece of art. The 3D graphics are comparable to Final Fantasy VIII, but the overworld looks terrible. Even the overworld in Final Fantasy VII looked good. This isn't really a problem, since the game doesn't force you to travel long distances in the overworld. I immediately fell in love with the characters. The pacing is excellent, and well into the second disc the game will continually be switching your parties for coinciding stories. It's very fun to see how they connect. I heard this game was easy, but I found it pretty challenging. I guess it's easy only if you spend hours leveling up before story events. One of my favorite things is tetra master in this game. It's a card minigame you can play with many different npcs. Minigames are always a welcome addition to an RPG, as they break the monotony of just killing. 4 discs shows how long this game is. It's great fun. Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2012
    The definitive Final Fantasy game. It has good story, very likeable characters, great gameplay-mechanics, amazing graphics and an even more amazing soundtrack.
    Unlike VII and VIII, it's doesn't have a futuristic style, but takes a lot from the old games.
    Once again there's castles, character-specific classes, and crystals. This old style is realized very well in 3D, for the first time.

This is the best game to start with if you're new to the franchise, because it has the best of everything this series has to offer.
  7. Jun 6, 2012
    An absolutely amazing game with great graphics, wonderful character development and a very beautiful and engrossing story. I don't think recommend this game enough.
  8. Jul 31, 2012
    Definitely the definitive Final Fantasy. It knows the formula and near perfects it for one last hurrah. The art design, world, gameplay, party, antagonist, soundtrack, and every other element of this game is the culmination of all the work before it, creating one enchanting game.
  9. Oct 6, 2011
    Final Fantasy IX mixes the best of the old with the new. Beautiful visuals accompany a deep and compelling story with a cast of memorable characters that help elevate the title to the very top of the Final Fantasy franchise in terms of quality game design.
  10. Dec 1, 2011
    A throwback to how things used to be. Specific classes for characters instead of carbon copy characters. Fantasy based setting. 4 man party. Packs an absolutely amazing soundtrack as well. The story has extreme depth and some unexpected twists in it. Plus, the villain is probably the most developed villain of any previous game. A must buy for any true FF fan.
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    What a legendary game. I don't know how many times i finished that game, i just had to do everything to really finish it. It really deserve a high score, i can feel the ''Fantasy'' in that game.
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    it was a pretty good game. Had many great hours.
  13. Nov 28, 2011
    Simply amazing FF, quite an underrated gem.
    You rarely ever get a clever and **** protagonist in Zidane. The music is amazing, too. The combat can be a little slow sometimes, but the story contains a lot of charm and humor in it that other FF games didn't have.
  14. Oct 15, 2012
    Easily the best Final Fantasy that came out on the PS1 and one of my favorite games of all time. When compared to the other two numbered FF games on the PS1, this one easily had the best characters and character development, the best story and some great music. The characters themselves are really a treat here and when you compare Zidane to the other main characters of Cloud and Squall,Easily the best Final Fantasy that came out on the PS1 and one of my favorite games of all time. When compared to the other two numbered FF games on the PS1, this one easily had the best characters and character development, the best story and some great music. The characters themselves are really a treat here and when you compare Zidane to the other main characters of Cloud and Squall, there really isn't any comparison. While Cloud and Squall are both melodrama angst ridden whiners, Zidane starts off as the goofy joking light-hearted character who goes through constant trials and tribulations that seem to follow him. And while not all the characters are as in-depth as he is, the rest of the cast all have their moments that really make you care about them and their futures. The story can get a little off track toward the end and some of the sci-fi elements that pop up at the end of the game really don't belong in a medieval setting like this one, but it's still one of the best plots in FF history. The battle system is VERY slow compared to FF VII and VIII and that can take quite awhile to get used too. Things slow down quite a bit and for the people who played 7 and 8 before this one, probably won't like it too much. You will have 1 more person in your party to worry about though so things aren't totally bad. The worst part is the fact that, while you end up with 8 characters you can choose from, you don't get the full roster of 8 to choose from till about 75% into the game, making leveling some of the characters you haven't seen in ages a bit tiresome. Plus the fact that some of those characters end up playing a fairly big role in the story make back tracking almost a necessity in some parts. However, the game is not that hard. You won't have to do much grinding over the course of the game to get by the regular mobs and bosses that pop up. I guess I'm a bit biased when it comes to this game but it's easily the most underrated FF game of all time and one that doesn't get enough of the credit that FF VII seems to get in spades. I'll always say this game was 10 times better than FF VII and nothing will ever change my mind. This game is easily purchased nowadays on the PSN so if you have any sort of Sony console, handheld or not, then your doing yourself an injustice by not buying this game. Expand
  15. Sep 24, 2014
    This game is the best FF in my opinion. Featured by the perfect OST: I really like the Soundtracks as epic symphony for my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Mar 17, 2012
    This is definitely the most underrated gem that Squaresoft ever produced, but it's also my personal favorite in the series of games. The fact that it's so underrated and underappreciated is sad, because this game is bucketloads better than Final Fantasy 7. And here's why: This game is the first game since Final Fantasy 6 where I actually gave two craps about the characters. Every castThis is definitely the most underrated gem that Squaresoft ever produced, but it's also my personal favorite in the series of games. The fact that it's so underrated and underappreciated is sad, because this game is bucketloads better than Final Fantasy 7. And here's why: This game is the first game since Final Fantasy 6 where I actually gave two craps about the characters. Every cast member in this game is very solid, having more shades to them than just one, and sometimes even having very wonderfully done backstories. Also, this game holds the trump card for the best villain the series has ever produced. Kuja puts even Kefka to shame. He is simply the most complex villain I have ever seen, and not because he looks like a chick but is actually a dude. The villain is the biggest case of "Do not judge a book by it's cover" because while Kuja may look very feminine, this guy is actually a boss. Like I said before, he is the most complex villain in the series, not like Kefka who, while silly, sort of has a one-track mind on destruction and chaos, and most definitely not like Sephiroth, who has no emotions to speak of. Kuja has class and sophistication, more often than not speaking in very poetic lines and putting even some of the big **** like Brahne, to shame. But, as the case of "Do not judge a book by it's cover goes", this guy definitely has the biggest breakdown of any villain, completely destroying an entire world in one murderous rampage. But, other than the characters, this game also looks very grand and very nice. The settings are wonderfully victorian, having been set in the 1800's during the said victorian era, even though Gaia is a completely different world entirely, and the character art, while some may consider a turnoff, is probably some of the best I've ever seen. Hideo Minaba has a very chibi-ish look to his characters, and I think it's very original in terms of Final Fantasy. And, probably the biggest reason of why I love this game, the soundtrack is just straight up awesome. It's certainly one of Nobuo Uematsu's best works ever. My reasoning for THIS is that, while 90% of the Final Fantasy games have that one song where Uematsu goes beastmode and completely goes above and beyond in a specific piece, (4 being "Four Feinds", 6 being "Dancing Mad", 7 being "Crazy Motorcycle", and 8 being "The Landing") Final Fantasy IX has for of these said songs: "Blades of Fury", "Wavering Blade", "Silver Dragon", and "Dark Messenger". As for the final tangent, the story, it feels more like a Shakespearean tale rather than a Final Fantasy one. Also, while people think that Necron, the final boss, came out of nowhere and is one of the biggest letdowns of a final boss, I think that this character had more story than people let on, due to the fact that it is actually implied that due to the break of the Crystal which holds all order in Gaia, Necron is spawned. So, with that mindset, I feel that Necron, far from being an unnecessary final boss, is actually very symbolic. But, if you need one more reason as to why I feel it's the best, Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of this famous legacy, has called Final Fantasy IX his personal favorite FF game as well.

So, as a final say, this game is perfect in my eyes. I love every second of it and recommend it to anyone and everyone.
  17. Jun 28, 2012
    Perfect. Interesting cast of characters, good storyline, beautiful visuals and music. FFIX seems lighter than FF7 and FF8. The absence of the the materia and junction system help. Character stats and skills are easier to achieve and or much more linear. The battles focus on old school job classes. This Final Fantasy is probably my favorite. Such a Charming little game.
  18. Oct 3, 2012
    Best final fantasy ever, great story, great character, great gameplay,.. everything that define the greatness of RPG is in this game... this game was a masterpiece of PS1 game.
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    I remember being 12 years old. I was given this game from my parents as a birthday gift. I remember putting the game into the console and thinking: "I'm just going to try it a little while, see what it is at least". Little did I know that this game was going to take me on the biggest, coolest, bravest and most emotional journey of my life. I was so baffled how a game could be so awesome,I remember being 12 years old. I was given this game from my parents as a birthday gift. I remember putting the game into the console and thinking: "I'm just going to try it a little while, see what it is at least". Little did I know that this game was going to take me on the biggest, coolest, bravest and most emotional journey of my life. I was so baffled how a game could be so awesome, going through hours upon hours of continuous gaming just to understand the story and experience the finale. When it finally struck I cried like a little baby for so long. The first time I ever cried because of a game. So many feelings embraced me and it was almost too much. Everything was just not fair for being over but still all too perfect. I remember every single event and character like it was a journey I actually went through in real life as a little kid. Please take me back to those moments and memories. Please take me back to that place.

I remember that song "The Place I'll Return to Someday". Maybe I will return to that place someday. 10/10.
  20. SydanL.
    Sep 4, 2002
    Hey luke get lost if you dont like this game. it is worth a 9.5 and its great cause i like cartoon stories and this reminds me a little of dragonball Z. i really dreamed one day that i was zidane (with the tail etc.) may final fantasy live as long as the world excists!!!
  21. Kujuv.sS.
    Apr 19, 2005
    The best game ever, i own all the final fantasy games (1-11) my 3 favorites in order are 9,10 and 7 this game reminds me of the cool "oldskool" rpg's with nice cartoon graphics and mad sound effects and the things that are out standing is that the characters are about the only real final fantasy characters with there own story (excluding quin) all in all this game derserves moreThe best game ever, i own all the final fantasy games (1-11) my 3 favorites in order are 9,10 and 7 this game reminds me of the cool "oldskool" rpg's with nice cartoon graphics and mad sound effects and the things that are out standing is that the characters are about the only real final fantasy characters with there own story (excluding quin) all in all this game derserves more credit that it getts and it is the best sony 1 or 2 game ever! Expand
  22. ConcreteC
    Feb 20, 2008
    This is the best FF game on the PSX. Hands down. Characters are unique, you have to balance your party correctly, the battles are not HP-massacres but more displays of strategy made before the battle and reaction. The story itself is developing not only unexpectedly but also there is depth hidden in what the characters go thru and say. The graphics are the best in any PSX game, next to This is the best FF game on the PSX. Hands down. Characters are unique, you have to balance your party correctly, the battles are not HP-massacres but more displays of strategy made before the battle and reaction. The story itself is developing not only unexpectedly but also there is depth hidden in what the characters go thru and say. The graphics are the best in any PSX game, next to Metal Gear Solid. Just take a look at the Flare spell or at the Summons... like Bahamut, Madhin and Ark. The rendered sequences are spine-chilling. The weapon design is beautiful. The venue-design is exceptional. I never found any reason to criticize this game. It's a little easier than FF6 though. Plus I found interesting that the villain is actually vulnerable compared to ever insane Kefka or the corrupted and furious Sephiroth. If you hate this game, it is your loss. Expand
  23. TidusD
    Jan 2, 2010
    The best FF in the PSX and the best FF in all console after FFX
  24. JarrodB.
    Mar 20, 2003
    I don't know why people think this game doesn't live up to Final Fantasy Standards. This is the greatest game of all time. The Battle system, the music, the graphics, the story, everything is perfect. Don't Hesistate to think otherwise.
  25. dk
    Jul 10, 2008
    This is what Final Fantasy is meant to be. Instead of taking on a semi-realistic tone like ffvii and ffviii, it went back to Final Fantasy's original roots. It balanced everything out; it had a great story and great graphics, and it had a gameplay system that kept characters from becoming overpowered too easily. It also had a great soundtrack! This is easily one of my favorite games This is what Final Fantasy is meant to be. Instead of taking on a semi-realistic tone like ffvii and ffviii, it went back to Final Fantasy's original roots. It balanced everything out; it had a great story and great graphics, and it had a gameplay system that kept characters from becoming overpowered too easily. It also had a great soundtrack! This is easily one of my favorite games of all time, and definitely my favorite Final Fantasy of all time. Expand
  26. SergioS.
    Aug 25, 2001
    The best game EVER made.
  27. RobertM.
    Oct 19, 2003
    This the best Final Fantasy game I have ever played and I was hooked on it from the beginning to end.
  28. Jul 18, 2013
    One of the few games I have played through multiple times. This was the first FF game I played and it got me hooked on the franchise. Story is great and character development is great and the battle system is a ton of fun. The Open world feel was one of the best things.
  29. Dec 19, 2013
    When I received my Ps one in 2001 I was 13 years old, the only game that came with it was Final Fantasy IX, I started playing, I didn't realized that this game would become the best game that I've ever played until now, I have played, Nintento,Snes,PS2 and PS3, I've played many games, but I do not know why I haven't felt the same emotion anymore. masterpiece with all the word,When I received my Ps one in 2001 I was 13 years old, the only game that came with it was Final Fantasy IX, I started playing, I didn't realized that this game would become the best game that I've ever played until now, I have played, Nintento,Snes,PS2 and PS3, I've played many games, but I do not know why I haven't felt the same emotion anymore. masterpiece with all the word, Story,sound,music,characters,graphics, this game is perfection, no more than that. if you haven't played it yet, go for it! Expand
  30. JasonB.
    Mar 2, 2003
    This game is just about perfect, but at the end everything locks up and u cant go back into some places, but other than that this game is another tittle worthy of the series.
  31. WashuT.
    Jan 4, 2004
    The most incredible game ever! Beautiful graphics! Gorgeous music. And a storyline that'll make you laugh and cry. And i have to say that Kuja is the greatest villain as well..it's the shoes!
  32. LiamT.
    Mar 15, 2004
    This game is the ultimate final fantasy game ever!
  33. TudorH.
    Oct 17, 2005
    This game is good, addictive and effective!
  34. GaryM.
    Jan 23, 2005
    This has to be most fun I ever had playing a Final Fantasy game. This game exceeded my expectations, since I had grown accustomed to FF8s radical deaparture from previous games. This game is so much better than FF8 and I'd have to say it is one of the best, if not the best, of the series. Extremely enjoyable.
  35. Ashogo
    Dec 20, 2006
    An amazing rpg that ANY gamer should pay. Period. -_- The story kept me playing, I never wanted to stop. The characters are well developed so you actually care (a lot) when something happens to them. Gorgeous FMV! And overall extreemly fun and solid gameplay. This is a game I would recommend to anyone.
  36. BryanS.
    Dec 6, 2006
    Another final fantasy classic. The story was great (but not as good as FFVII). The graphics were unbelievable for a PS1 game.
  37. mogkupo
    Jul 11, 2007
    I have played video games for 19years now and this is the best game ive ever seen. Sounds are cool, music is awesome, story is great, characters are wonderful but the graphics! they are absolutely SICK! every towns and places are with greatest graphics ive seen. I really like characters too. Quina is superfunny always thinks only food and Vivi is so cute and shy. There is only 2 I have played video games for 19years now and this is the best game ive ever seen. Sounds are cool, music is awesome, story is great, characters are wonderful but the graphics! they are absolutely SICK! every towns and places are with greatest graphics ive seen. I really like characters too. Quina is superfunny always thinks only food and Vivi is so cute and shy. There is only 2 characters i dont like: Thorn and Zorn. They boring me but good you dont see them very often. BUY THIS FANTASTIC GAME NOW! Expand
  38. StealthKnight
    Aug 13, 2002
    This games rocks. Each character has there own interesting personality. They are also outspoken on there views. The game is amazing and the story is unforgettable, you have to play this game you won't regret it.
  39. JohnO.
    Nov 15, 2003
    Without doubt the greatest Final Fantasy game ever. The FMV sequences are absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack beats FFVIII's anyday, and Kuja is a way cooler villain than FFVII's grossly overrated Sephiroth.
  40. Mr._Rabbit
    Oct 7, 2003
    When i first played it i tohught it wasnt good the begging was boring but afterr the Mist Forest is when i got hooked and been ever since.
  41. DanB.
    Mar 24, 2004
    I love this game, the plot is perfect, the game is great both visually and with the sound. The game is done so well you connect with the characters. WARNING: May cause you to shout uncontrolibly due to character connections... I only a few problems... 1. Not a very good replay value 2. Sometimes it makes the playstation lag due to complexity... 3. All of the dialog must be read.
  42. JohnF.
    May 27, 2004
    One of the best Final Fantasy.
  43. KateB.
    Jan 8, 2005
    Very cool game, one of my favorites.
  44. JaerissR.
    Jun 16, 2005
    I absolutely love this game! it rocks so much....I t is a absolutely breathtaking game...I just wish that they had voiceovers so I dont have to imagine their voices.......but....my all time favorite is vivi.....he is awesome!
  45. TreyR.
    Jun 9, 2005
    This game is by far the greatest game. It is better than all of the other final fantasy games out there.
  46. DanialJ.
    Aug 20, 2005
    This is the best FF game ever in history.
  47. EliD.
    Aug 29, 2005
    This is at the very least one of the best Final Fantasies ever made. It remains true to its name, compared to the latest games in the series.
  48. RichardT.
    Oct 18, 2006
    This is one of the best games I have ever played I have completed it twice, it has such a good storly line that plays on emotion so well. the graphics for the time are just amazing and the game play is amazing too.
  49. Vivi
    Feb 27, 2002
    Vivi is the cutest! :-) This game plan rocks, the battle scenes are great, and the storyline is well developed.
  50. LuizA.
    Dec 25, 2003
    Absolutely beautiful! The game devastates the competition in this genre. The soundtrack, often "ignored" in other titles (not FF, I say) is engaging and sets the mood accordingly. It made me feel like buying it right away, after I bought the game. Instead of background music, it goes ALONG with the story. Everything else is breath-taking for a PSOne. The only bad thing, is that some Absolutely beautiful! The game devastates the competition in this genre. The soundtrack, often "ignored" in other titles (not FF, I say) is engaging and sets the mood accordingly. It made me feel like buying it right away, after I bought the game. Instead of background music, it goes ALONG with the story. Everything else is breath-taking for a PSOne. The only bad thing, is that some locations become inacessible, as you change CDs. A DVD version on PS2 would be NICE, along with graphic remastering of the animation. And all of FMVs available on regular DVD players. Expand
  51. pEzthepunker
    Nov 16, 2009
    This is the BEST adventure game that must be play by all RPG fanz.It is easy to control the characters,not have system that make you want to crush your controller like in FF10,12 and 13,the sound and graphic also in incredible(in PS1),full of funny characters and have a GOOD looking heroin(Princess Garnett,hehe).Thats make me played this game more than 3 times!
  52. Sep 5, 2012
    I am a big FF fan, having played pretty much every one with the exception of that sorry excuse of an MMORPG. Final Fantasy IX is truly one of the funnest games in the series. The story is great and presented very well, with awesome cut scenes for its time. The game is challenging yet rewarding, there are hundreds if not thousands of spells/abilities your characters can learn. This thoughI am a big FF fan, having played pretty much every one with the exception of that sorry excuse of an MMORPG. Final Fantasy IX is truly one of the funnest games in the series. The story is great and presented very well, with awesome cut scenes for its time. The game is challenging yet rewarding, there are hundreds if not thousands of spells/abilities your characters can learn. This though is where I must make a note: Sometimes it's hard to learn all the abilities from a weapon before it is rendered useless because you find and need a stronger weapon. Be careful with this, don't sell items before your done learning all the spells they provide. This game TOTALLY 100% feels like a Final Fantasy game, the music, characters, and the world are all wonderfully made and makes for an epic adventure. Also, the card game is extremely fun and rewarding to play as well, IMO it is improved from FF8. There is a lot of content in this game, it will take you a good 30-40 hours to beat and there are many secrets to get afterwards that are worth doing and add a lot of game time. Expand
  53. Oct 4, 2012
    Definitely in my top 5, but I'm not sure it's the best. I love the characters and story. Plus the gameplay is vastly improved over previous PSX FF titles.
  54. Sep 11, 2013
    FF 9 is my favorite FF game so far.

Beautiful animation. Lovely characters (not sure about Quina.) Great plot, at least up until the final battle which is a little weird. I really can not think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It embodies everything that is Final Fantasy. But if I had to mention a few minor issues I would say that the game is generally far too easy, at
    FF 9 is my favorite FF game so far.

I really can not think of a single bad thing to say about this game. It embodies everything that is Final Fantasy. But if I had to mention a few minor issues I would say that the game is generally far too easy, at least when you compare it to the rest of the series. Also, the weird "out-of-nowhere" final boss.

Overall:
    FF 9 is light hearted, fun, full of adventure and everything I want out of a FF game.
  55. Aug 26, 2015
    Final Fantasy IX was the last true game in the series. IX took everything that made the older games great and perfected everything. The story is in my opinion the best in the series where every character has his/her own story to tell and it has a bunch of throw backs to the games before 7 and 8. The combat system is fun and simple yet challenging. The soundtrack is just beautiful. The gameFinal Fantasy IX was the last true game in the series. IX took everything that made the older games great and perfected everything. The story is in my opinion the best in the series where every character has his/her own story to tell and it has a bunch of throw backs to the games before 7 and 8. The combat system is fun and simple yet challenging. The soundtrack is just beautiful. The game has some great graphics for a PS1 game with fantastic looking FMV sequences. To me and Hironobu Sakaguchi this is the best Final Fantasy game of all time. Expand
  56. Oct 1, 2014
    Easily the best of the "modern" Final Fantasys (though still not quite as good as the some of the SNES era FFs).

Graphics are out of the park. Going with a heavily stylized art-style helped the game in the long run, and even today it's one of the best looking Final Fantasys as a result. The ATE system add a surprising amount of depth and interactivity, letting you see background

The ATE system add a surprising amount of depth and interactivity, letting you see background events or even gaining access to certain perks or encounters depending on the choices taken, which is one of the best uses to date for the player who actually wants to immerse themselves fully into the world/story.

Going back to static classes was initially a downside, (since only really 1, 4, and 9 have enforced class roles) unlocking pretty much everything at anytime, but on the other hand, it does at least prevent everything from becoming Samey since each character is definitely unique, instead of everyone becoming pretty much carbon copies of each other with only minor statistical differences (or their limit break or weapon type alone having the biggest change).

Music of course is great as always.

The story was great of course, and was quite refreshing after the double-dipped gloom/doom of the previous titles, though the final boss could've used at least a little more in-game explanation, instead of requiring assembling of some fridge logic on the part of the player. (nothing really wrong with requiring a player to think a little, but it's such a common complaint it might've been just a tad too vague for the tastes of a vocal majority to piece it together).

The mini-game being the only real mark against it, due to being completely up to RNG, no matter how well you played, unlike 8's card game which at least had consistent rules.
  57. Mar 16, 2015
    Best Final Fantasy game! Best Final Fantasy game! Best Final Fantasy game! Best Final Fantasy game! Best Final Fantasy game! Best Final Fantasy game!Best Final Fantasy game!
  58. Aug 21, 2013
    This is a wonderful game. I'm not sure it's my favorite Final Fantasy, although it certainly ties for the top spot. The characters, particularly Vivi and Steiner, are interesting and lovable, and the story, albeit a bit cliched in areas, is fun and entertaining. A lot of people felt the combat was a little slow, but I never had any real problems with it. I enjoy the more strategic feelThis is a wonderful game. I'm not sure it's my favorite Final Fantasy, although it certainly ties for the top spot. The characters, particularly Vivi and Steiner, are interesting and lovable, and the story, albeit a bit cliched in areas, is fun and entertaining. A lot of people felt the combat was a little slow, but I never had any real problems with it. I enjoy the more strategic feel gained from returning to the class-based gameplay, but I do miss the freedom of skill manipulation present in Final Fantasy VII and VIII. That said, even in 2013, the game is still attractive. It has aged very well, especially in comparison to its Playstation brothers, FFVII and VIII. The art style is vivid and fun, which contrasts to the dark and gritty style present in some of the other 3D Final Fantasies. This art style is reflected throughout the entire game, which seems cheerful and lighthearted most of the time, but it still manages to feel dramatic and suspenseful at its climax.
    That being said, the game is not without its problems. Even though the somewhat linear beginning opens up, the game doesn't really provide much of an incentive for exploration outside of the chocobo quest. There are really only a few areas you don't visit in the main quest of the game, and areas outside of the main continent are strangely barren and empty. There are multiple sidequests in the game, but most of them are expected to be done (and should be done) alongside the main quest. Attempting to complete them all at once is very tedious and time consuming. I'll blame most of this on the size limit of CDs, since most of the space was probably taken by the large number of cutscenes and detailed backdrops. The game was already four discs in its original incarnation, but it would be nice to have some extra dungeons to explore and goodies to find.
    That being said, I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's a wonderful game, and it looking back on it thirteen years after its release, it represents one of Square's last titles before deciding all games needed to be action RPGs with bad voice acting and convoluted stories revolving around characters wearing ridiculous costumes laden with ridiculous numbers of zippers and buckles. It is certainly the most underrated and forgotten game of the series (perhaps caused by being released so late in the Playstation's life cycle), which is certainly a shame for such a fine title. Do yourself a favor and play this game. Purchase it on the Playstation Store, or hit up Ebay for a used Playstation and a copy of this game. You won't regret it.
  59. Jan 11, 2014
    While it seems that it's more simplistic and not has challenging as previous Final Fantasy titles, there's no doubt that it is the most magical and enjoyable there is. Story is original and contains much involvement with all of the playable and non-playable characters to make the world seem more real. This causes a definite connection between the player and the game. Final Fantasy IX alsoWhile it seems that it's more simplistic and not has challenging as previous Final Fantasy titles, there's no doubt that it is the most magical and enjoyable there is. Story is original and contains much involvement with all of the playable and non-playable characters to make the world seem more real. This causes a definite connection between the player and the game. Final Fantasy IX also contains some of most impressive graphics on the original Sony Play-Station along with one of the greatest video-game soundtracks of all time. Expand
  60. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 1
    + One of the most unique RPG aesthetics to be found in gaming
    + Has a colorful and entertaining cast of supporting characters + Offers a beautiful, memorable world that rewards exploration and is colored by story and gameplay + Stunning soundtrack ? Like all FF games, the plot starts strong, develops well, and then descends into chaotic nonsense in the final act ? Requires a
    Tier 1
    + One of the most unique RPG aesthetics to be found in gaming
    + Has a colorful and entertaining cast of supporting characters
    + Stunning soundtrack
    ? Requires a huge amount of grinding to successfully progress, with several unexplained and unintuitive progression systems tied to items
    - Combat does not age well, makes the prospect of replaying daunting
  61. Jun 13, 2014
    WOW! this game, this game is amazing in every way possible. The game play, story, characters, every thing. I did not play it when it first came out. i just beat it like a month ago. I did not even notice the aged graphics i was having way to much fun. final fantasy 9 is the best final fantasy by far.
  62. May 6, 2015
    In my opinion, better than Final Fantasy VII .
  63. Oct 25, 2014
    After FF7 & 8 squaresoft decided to make a TRUE final fantasy game and the last and only FF in cd format that i love. Wish they remade this only graphically, cause is such a sweet game! Characters, soundtrack, etc you feel like in a circus fantasy experience.

Play it if you can, like all ps1 3D games has not aged so good, but still has the nice 2D backgrounds to enjoy. Its the characters that could get some work on a remake.

Recommended.
  64. Dec 31, 2014
    I don't usually give a perfect score, but this being my favorite game, deserves it.
    Character design seems to be the main reason some people like to pass on this game, but that makes the character more lovable.
    Great storyline, great characters and character development, soundtrack may be the best in the series, battle system easy to understand and actually works (not like the complicated junction system in FFVIII), you get attached to the characters and want them to have a happy conclusion to their journey, from Zidane to Eiko.
  65. Mar 29, 2015
    Holi Moli war ich ├╝berrascht , wie viel ich verpasst habe , als ich 2015 zum ersten Mal ein Final Fantasy zu Augen bekam ! Zwar war das nur ein Let's play , aber sogar das konnte mich meilenweit ├╝berzeugen ... Gelungene Meisterarbeit ! :D
  66. Mar 20, 2015
    I don't know about you guys, but I personally loved this game to bits. Although I have played FF7 (loved it!) But FF9 is more of my cup of tea. It brings such joy to my heart, and it rekindles my inner child too. I have played this game nearly 5 times now and I'll definitely replay it in another 10 years. Zidane is my favorite protagonist. I'm surprised he's still not in KH but it'sI don't know about you guys, but I personally loved this game to bits. Although I have played FF7 (loved it!) But FF9 is more of my cup of tea. It brings such joy to my heart, and it rekindles my inner child too. I have played this game nearly 5 times now and I'll definitely replay it in another 10 years. Zidane is my favorite protagonist. I'm surprised he's still not in KH but it's probably since he's pretty similar to Sora's character. Furthermore, many may find FF9's style odd (in terms of costumes) but the eerie feel to it grows on you with the old medieval setting. It's one of its kind. It has its own mystical feel to it which I adore. Best scene would be with the soundtrack "You're Not Alone". And village Dali is just UGH. Even if you haven't played FF9 in young age, you'll still feel nostalgic playing it now. Expand
  67. Dec 15, 2016
    i have played a lot of video games but no one can be close to this masterpiece.

story_

it's have everything.
    the perfect game
    Final Fantasy IX is the true meaning of Final Fantasy
  68. Dec 30, 2011
    After VII completely changed nearly everything for future Final Fantasy series, Square puts the last nail in the coffin for the old school Final Fantasy games with IX. IX is the last Final Fantasy game that represents the old school Final Fantasy games. Even though it still has the features that VII introduced and pounded in the rest of the series, it was a throwback to the old school waysAfter VII completely changed nearly everything for future Final Fantasy series, Square puts the last nail in the coffin for the old school Final Fantasy games with IX. IX is the last Final Fantasy game that represents the old school Final Fantasy games. Even though it still has the features that VII introduced and pounded in the rest of the series, it was a throwback to the old school ways and I couldn't have it any other way. Next to VI and VII, IX is one of my favourite Final Fantasy games ever. The story is compelling and easy to follow, the soundtrack, though wasn't as epic as VII's, was charming and nostalgic, the gameplay and combat was simple but deep and the characters are fun and likable. Sadly, to me, this is the last great Final Fantasy game because after that, it was just a mix bag for me. Final Fantasy X story, even though it was epic, was very plot-hole ridden and had a ridiculously annoying protagonist but the combat was one of the best in the series. XII followed suit of X's bad habits with its story as well and the combat, though very different, was a hit and miss but the characters were quite fun. XIII just sucks ass. I'm digressing. IX is a Playstation gem. If you have all the Playstations, this game is a must get. I consider it the last great Final Fantasy game though I do hope that Square Enix could finally capture the greatness of the old Final Fantasy games in the future. Expand
  69. JustinS.
    Jul 19, 2001
    I loved the the magic in the game.
  70. linkinpark
    May 24, 2007
    Best game have played in my life! the graphics are insane, the characters seem like they are real people. the only thing that disappoints me though, is how come with a story so good, it hasn't been published as a book???
  71. Jun 24, 2011
    As someone who has played every main series FF title, I can safely say that IX is the quintessential Final Fantasy game. VII and VIII marked a new direction for the series into sci-fi territory. IX sees the return of old-style kingdoms and mystical crystals that defined the first six games. In fact, it could be said that IX is a love letter to those games while also sporting the kind ofAs someone who has played every main series FF title, I can safely say that IX is the quintessential Final Fantasy game. VII and VIII marked a new direction for the series into sci-fi territory. IX sees the return of old-style kingdoms and mystical crystals that defined the first six games. In fact, it could be said that IX is a love letter to those games while also sporting the kind of visuals that those games could not have. The diverse cast of characters are well developed and likable. Some may say that the story begins in a rather cliched fashion but the game seems fully aware of this and revels in it. The aforementioned beginning is merely a setup for a moving story about purpose and existence. Despite dark themes, the game is never bogged down by the kind of melodrama that affected its last two predecessors. This is thanks in part to its cheery and virtuous protagonist, a far cry from the distant Cloud and brooding Squall, and more in line with Bartz and Locke from FFV and VI respectively. The world is beautiful and sprawling, with plenty of sidequests and mini-games. This game has charm, emotion and humor and to me is one of the best JRPG's ever made. A masterpiece. Expand
  72. Mar 21, 2012
    The last Final Fantasy for the PlayStation is a beautiful tale with precious melodies. FFIX returns to the origins with spectacular visuals. It is one of the best Final Fantasy.
  73. May 27, 2012
    My favorite final fantasy. This game is just amazing. MASTERPIECE.
  74. Chimp
    Jul 15, 2004
    Best Final Fantasy ever, and possibly best game ever. I never cared so much about the characters. The only SLIGHT flaw is fossil roo in disc 2 which is annoying and the part in disc 3 where garnet gets depressed(not gonna say anmore or it would spoil the game) that can be irritating, but after that and before that(oh yes, espeically after) it picks up again...yes i would say its the best Best Final Fantasy ever, and possibly best game ever. I never cared so much about the characters. The only SLIGHT flaw is fossil roo in disc 2 which is annoying and the part in disc 3 where garnet gets depressed(not gonna say anmore or it would spoil the game) that can be irritating, but after that and before that(oh yes, espeically after) it picks up again...yes i would say its the best game ever made. the music is perfection, especially the music in Ispens Castle and Kuja's Theme. Expand
  75. Dec 29, 2012
    One of the best games in both the series and the genre. The story, characters, graphics, and soundtrack are all some of the best I've experienced in my life. My biggest complaint is that the ATB gauge could fill up a lot faster, as some battles are unnecessarily long. However, that's just me being (extremely) nitpicky.
  76. Jan 6, 2011
    Final Fantasy IX is a tribute to the series - the developers intended it to be the swan song of Final Fantasy knowing the games following would not remain in true Final Fantasy form. This can easily be seen as the game is filled with tons of easter eggs and references to previous installments of the franchise. Everything about this game screams "classic." It's easily the best Final FantasyFinal Fantasy IX is a tribute to the series - the developers intended it to be the swan song of Final Fantasy knowing the games following would not remain in true Final Fantasy form. This can easily be seen as the game is filled with tons of easter eggs and references to previous installments of the franchise. Everything about this game screams "classic." It's easily the best Final Fantasy ever made. (January 7th, 2011) Expand
  77. Jul 31, 2011
    I can't understand the obsession with wanting a more "mature" Final Fantasy. FFXIII tried to be more mature and as a result was basically just boring. As FF7 was my first experience with the series I didn't grow up with the earlier instalments. Despite this I would still say that FF9 is possibly my favourite. I have since become familiar with FF9's reference points and they only serve toI can't understand the obsession with wanting a more "mature" Final Fantasy. FFXIII tried to be more mature and as a result was basically just boring. As FF7 was my first experience with the series I didn't grow up with the earlier instalments. Despite this I would still say that FF9 is possibly my favourite. I have since become familiar with FF9's reference points and they only serve to make the game even more enjoyable. If it weren't for the awful trance system it would be an almost perfect game, but as it seems that everyone else in the world can overlook FFVIII's levelling and draw system I guess this isn't such a big deal. Finally, it's Hironobu Sakaguchi's favourite. What more do you want?! Expand
  78. Jun 6, 2013
    Final Fantasy IX is the pinnacle of gaming. It's the perfect example of elements coming together to make what I consider to be the greatest game of all time. Although it's hard to say one part is better than another perhaps the most wonderful aspect is it's story. It's Disney-esque story, simple yet mature, able to appeal to anyone who puts time into it. The Characters are a balancedFinal Fantasy IX is the pinnacle of gaming. It's the perfect example of elements coming together to make what I consider to be the greatest game of all time. Although it's hard to say one part is better than another perhaps the most wonderful aspect is it's story. It's Disney-esque story, simple yet mature, able to appeal to anyone who puts time into it. The Characters are a balanced utterly lovable group, all with unique pasts, personalities, and motivations. The soundtrack is huge, and every track is worth listening to again and again, every track fits naturally where it plays. Rather than detract from the experience, the cartoon like graphics add to it in more ways than can be described. And the gameplay strikes the perfect balance Expand
  79. KujaS.
    Sep 30, 2003
    Kuja...is...really...HOT. Even without Kuja, this game would still rule.
  80. John
    May 31, 2006
    How could anybody give this game a bad score? Graphics were beautiful for ps1. The game play, and character building was very well done. The only problems I had, was A- the game was too damn short. Not only that, but the story started off nice and slowly at the begining, but the end was pushed too quickly. And B- too much was left unsaid. I wanted to learn more about the past of everyone How could anybody give this game a bad score? Graphics were beautiful for ps1. The game play, and character building was very well done. The only problems I had, was A- the game was too damn short. Not only that, but the story started off nice and slowly at the begining, but the end was pushed too quickly. And B- too much was left unsaid. I wanted to learn more about the past of everyone in the game. The ending didn't explain everything I wanted to know, either. Expand
  81. SteveW.
    Oct 11, 2004
    This Is The Best Final Fantasy Without Doubt What Makes This Game Special For Me Is The Story Just Keeps Coming And Coming It Doesnt Just Kinda Fissle Out And Get Boring Like In Others It Keeps You Interested And Makes You Really Care About Your Characters And Whats Goin On The Graphics Are Polished To The Nth Degree This Game Iv Played Through Like 6 Times And The Only Other Final This Is The Best Final Fantasy Without Doubt What Makes This Game Special For Me Is The Story Just Keeps Coming And Coming It Doesnt Just Kinda Fissle Out And Get Boring Like In Others It Keeps You Interested And Makes You Really Care About Your Characters And Whats Goin On The Graphics Are Polished To The Nth Degree This Game Iv Played Through Like 6 Times And The Only Other Final Fantasys Iv Played More Than Once Is 7 And 10 And That Was Only Twice , A Masterpeice! Expand
  82. JonathanD.
    Sep 18, 2002
    Pros: AWESOME graphics and music, memorable characters, oldie-but-goldie battle system, Vivi, dialogue/translation, THE BEST STORY IN ANY VIDEO GAME EVER, BOTTOM LINE. Cons: sometimes battles too frequent, some annoying dungeons. The Verdict: BUY THIS GAME. NOW. Excellent in every way. Definitely on my top 5 of all time.
  83. Mar 17, 2015
    This game really does feel like the last of its kind. Squaresoft did so, so many things right in the Playstation 1 era, and Final Fantasy IX is the culmination of all of its past knowledge and experiences.

I believe that those crucial people who made Final Fantasy great saw this game, realized that they had fulfilled their ambitions, and moved on with their lives, leaving the franchise in the hands of a new generation. Even after all these years of fumbling around in wake of that departure, Square still has not managed to recapture the elements that made Final Fantasy IX one of the best RPGs of all time.
  84. Feb 19, 2012
    A fairly average Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy IX has for the PS1, gorgeous scenery, a solidly enjoyable story that doesn't require you to look up mountains of lore elsewhere and impressive music. Where it fails however, is a lack of gameplay (akin to a transition of Final Fantasy games becoming movies) where you'll be mashing X to get through the text because the characters areA fairly average Final Fantasy game, Final Fantasy IX has for the PS1, gorgeous scenery, a solidly enjoyable story that doesn't require you to look up mountains of lore elsewhere and impressive music. Where it fails however, is a lack of gameplay (akin to a transition of Final Fantasy games becoming movies) where you'll be mashing X to get through the text because the characters are talking about crap, a lack of direction for those who do not know where to go and you'll also find that the characters and world is full of annoying, corny **** Expand
  85. Feb 24, 2014
    FFS Final Fantasy. I really enjoyed this game up until somewhere in disc 3, but by then Zidane and co. had outstayed their welcome. By disc 3 we're operating on contrivance, hour after hour of frustrating, stupid random encounters constantly interrupting dungeon exploration, battle scenes that take so god-damn-long to get started (do we really need a thirty second pan of the fightingFFS Final Fantasy. I really enjoyed this game up until somewhere in disc 3, but by then Zidane and co. had outstayed their welcome. By disc 3 we're operating on contrivance, hour after hour of frustrating, stupid random encounters constantly interrupting dungeon exploration, battle scenes that take so god-damn-long to get started (do we really need a thirty second pan of the fighting arena?) redundant ATB gauges that take far too long to fill, irritating enemies, level grind, the same battle over again and again, level grind, boss fight, boss fight. Another example of overrated Final Fantasy bilge. Expand
  86. Jun 12, 2011
    I just found it too childish, when I was hoping for a more mature title after 7 and 8, and I didn't really like the characters. Good game, not great.
  87. Feb 10, 2015
    To review quite possibly the best game ever made, I have divided this review into different sections (There will be heavy comparison to FFVII and FFVIII since they are often grouped together):

Tradition/Place in the Series: FFIX obviously brings to mind the older and more difficult final fantasy games. Not only does this game reintroduce us to character classes, it treats them with

Tradition/Place in the Series:

FFIX obviously brings to mind the older and more difficult final fantasy games. Not only does this game reintroduce us to character classes, it treats them with appropriate respect. FFVII and FFVIII received a lot of acclaim for their customization but such customization made each character essentially the same. Any character can use Ultima and any character can Heal. This customization took away from the characters of the game, treating them all as blank canvases for the player to paint on. The problem is that every player would likely mold the same 1 dimensional characters. FFIX gives you a cast of characters that balance each other on the battlefield and in the story. The main character is not physically the strongest, is not capable of dealing the most damage, and cannot cast magic. He is dependent, in a symbiotic relationship, with the rest of the characters. The last FF game that does this is FFIV, easily one of the more challenging FF Games.

Gameplay:

As alluded to before, the gameplay is considerably different in its depth than the previous two final fantasy games. While the active time battle system made a welcomed return, the different roles, created by the characters' different abilities, make the battle system much more delicate. If the white mage dies, you will want to use a phoenix down immediately because they are the only character that can cast healing magic. The overworld is brighter and the graphics are superior, partially helping the vastly improved controls. In previous games, it was sometimes hard to even move in the direction you wanted. The battles are intense, come down to the wire, and must be planned as part of a greater goal to reach the next save point. Whereas in other FF games you can essentially beat the entire game by attacking, healing, and casting the later black magic spells, FFIX places a greater emphasis on cooperation and alternative spells. The mage characters, for the most part, have very low attack and their role is simply that of a mage. The main character, a thief, can only attack, steal, and use a variety of relatively useless Thief Skills. Despite this, the emphasis on stealing is clear. Perhaps more than in any other FF game, stealing is critical to getting rare items and equipment.

Storyline/Plot:

I never really understood what was so great about Squall and Cloud. They both whine a lot and have this unfounded swagger. They both have rivals that intimidate them and lack the confidence of a true hero. Now, I understand that their characters are meant to be brooding anti-hero types but, in my opinion, they come off as unrealistic and lame. Would Squall, with his pessimistic insecurities, be a good soldier? Would Cloud, with his existentialist crisis and slightly disturbing idolization of Sephiroth, be a good soldier or even a person you would want to hang out with? The rest of the cast of these two games is also riddled with interchangeable, generic, and forgettable characters like Selphie, Zell, Irvine, Quistis, Barrett, and Cait Sith. FFIX, on the other hand, has a worthwhile hero whose attitude is conducive to saving the world and doing incredible things. In fact, the determination of virtually all the characters to do good is conducive of a good story; a story where a band of misfits save the world. Each character has his or her own journey that reveals what they are versus what you thought they were. Though some of the characters have cliched moments, they all break out of their shell in enjoyable ways. Without spoiling the story, I cannot make the arguments that I want to on behalf of this brilliantly written game. Now a little about the ending of the game WITHOUT ANY SPOILERS! A lot of RPGs seemingly tend to end on a semi dark note. Though the quest is completed, there is some hangup the characters have. If not that, the villain's devastation is too significant to ignore. Those that have played FFVII, FFVI, and FFX will know what I mean. FFIX, on the other hand has a complete ending where only a superfan like myself should be left wondering "what happened afterwards?" The ending gives a sense of completion and success unlike some of the darker endings in games where the player's achievements are taken up under him/her by some ridiculous plot twist. Bearing in mind that FFIX has plenty of plot twists that are cool and unexpected while also being consistent to the story and mythos of the game.

If you have never played this game, DO IT. It is easily one of the best games ever with the best characters and a great story. Easily the most underrated FF game to date (FFXII is a close second). The best ever!

Good for: Everyone

Not good for: Squall, Cloud, and Sephiroth fanboys who like insecurity in their badasses.
  88. Apr 4, 2011
    Ever wondered what would happen if Square added 3D graphics and limit breaks to FFIV? FFIX would happen. Square basically took all the worst things from the older games, added some of the newer features, and laughed when people actually bought this trash.

Old features include things such as a lack of customization, plot tropes, shallow character archetypes. New features include limit

New features include limit breaks, a half-assed clone of the FFVIII card game, minigames, good graphics.

FFIX is just an attempt to cash in on the older fans, nothing more. Even if you like 1-4, don't bother with this garbage.
  89. Nov 28, 2010
    I don't like this kind of gameplay, FF VII and VIII were far better than this.
    FF IX lacks in complexity, bringing the series to a too much traditional rpg.
    Besides the story is a little childish.
  90. ShaunT.
    Nov 11, 2005
    Worst one of the entire series.
  91. Kevin
    Mar 24, 2006
    This game was very dissapointing. The music was good, and so were the graphics, but the story and gameplay were all just too...done! It seemed like Spuare tried to combine FFVII and FFVIII into one game. With all of the "child" looking characters, it jut reminded me of the FFVII characters. And it seemed to follow FFVIII's theme of love. I did, however, rather enjoy the use of the This game was very dissapointing. The music was good, and so were the graphics, but the story and gameplay were all just too...done! It seemed like Spuare tried to combine FFVII and FFVIII into one game. With all of the "child" looking characters, it jut reminded me of the FFVII characters. And it seemed to follow FFVIII's theme of love. I did, however, rather enjoy the use of the chocobo's in this game, but all of the other mini-games and side-quests were just plain boring. The story was way to predictable, and the game was way to easy to beat. You could beat the final boss with ease at level 50(which is not hard to get to). If it weren't for the fact that Square tried to make this game for younger kids, and made it more...mature, this game would have been much greater. Expand
  92. JustinDeC.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Not a really good game to play.
  93. LukeB.
    Aug 16, 2002
    Boring and cutesy as crap. Gimme a break.
  94. MorganF
    Mar 10, 2009
    Boring, boring, boring. The plot is so shallow that makes you doubt your intelligence, the gameplay makes you want to cut your hands ang the graphics sucs. It is the most overrated game ever. I want my spended hours back!
  95. Jul 12, 2011
    wow im amazed this got so many positive reviews . this is the first FF game in the series i did not care for . the cutesey moronic graphic style really turned me off but i plodded through and beat the game . the story didnt do much for me eather even though Vivi was kinda intresting not much about what was going on hooked me. im tryin to remember the story more since its been 10 years orwow im amazed this got so many positive reviews . this is the first FF game in the series i did not care for . the cutesey moronic graphic style really turned me off but i plodded through and beat the game . the story didnt do much for me eather even though Vivi was kinda intresting not much about what was going on hooked me. im tryin to remember the story more since its been 10 years or so since i beat this . i do remember how freekin annoyed i was about the back attacks and the pincer attacks which i swear to god happend like 50% of the time . i kid you not i do remember i had that happen 13X in a ROW.and just wanted to spike my controller into the TV. then your main charicter looks like a metrosexaul monkey which i just hated how he looked and him personally . about the only possitive thing is you can have 4 players in your party . i really dont even know how or why i finished this game . my guess was that it was sqaure at the time who back then almost every RPG they made was GOLD . this certainly is not. Expand
  96. LeongFongW.
    Aug 5, 2001
    Actually is a good game but the characters' skills are not as flexible as FF7. FF7 can use different combinations with materia but FF9 can't.
  97. DamienO.
    Jun 16, 2003
    A very good game but ff7 is still a little better.
  98. VidM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    First, let me say that I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. Of the games I own, this is the one I've played the least. It is strange to realize that because this is not my least favorite Final Fantasy game. I whipped right through it in about two weeks, and that was it. I forgot about it. My least favorite Final Fantasy is actually FF8 (I'm not willing to even call the First, let me say that I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. Of the games I own, this is the one I've played the least. It is strange to realize that because this is not my least favorite Final Fantasy game. I whipped right through it in about two weeks, and that was it. I forgot about it. My least favorite Final Fantasy is actually FF8 (I'm not willing to even call the fecal matter that was FFX-2 a Final Fantasy game...or maybe even calling it a game is too much credit...). However, I've logged far more hours playing FF8 than I have FF9. Even though I like FF8 less, I'm still willing to go back and play it every now and then. I simply have no desire to ever play FF9 again. It was fun while I played it. I did everything I wanted to do. The story was so neatly wrapped at the end, that I just don't feel a second playing would reward me in terms of more completely understanding the story. Again, this is a strange game, because it is good, and yet very forgettable. Expand
  99. TweetyT.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Very interesting RPG game, perfect story, but lacks creativity in battles and minigames (compared to FF VII) and is not that grafically special for the year it was released in.
  100. AbraxusZ.
    May 8, 2006
    well i do say this is a very good game. Although it does have its bads and goods. What i didnt like about ti was that it was very short. I went through the game pretty fast and i expected more of a chalenge. This is my first fantasy game. And i hope it wont be my last. I was impressed by the charictors. I liked the fact that the main charictors fell in love hapily ever after. but what well i do say this is a very good game. Although it does have its bads and goods. What i didnt like about ti was that it was very short. I went through the game pretty fast and i expected more of a chalenge. This is my first fantasy game. And i hope it wont be my last. I was impressed by the charictors. I liked the fact that the main charictors fell in love hapily ever after. but what wouldve been better was another game with same charictors and like a new bad guy comes and invades but there love still remains a secret to themselfs. that would be a little secret between them i wouldve liked to have happend. But aditional charictors would be cool too. Anyways, the game was good and what someone said before i wanted to here there voices because i cant imagien them. Also it is indeed forgetable. I would like more of a story next time and a more unprodictable story. Everybody knows the stor, bad guy comes in godd guy comes in good guy kills bad guys yippidy doo dahh hapily ever after . I want more then that and that is what i expect in a good fantasy game. The only thing i admire most was the game play, graphics, and the charictors. Expand

#1 Most Discussed PS1 Game of 2000
#3 Most Shared PS1 Game of 2000

1. GMR Magazine
    The crystals return to the series, along with a four-member party, blue magic, and black mages. [Feb 2003, p.97]
  2. CNET Gamecenter
    Continues the series' long-standing tradition of quality in one of the most compelling RPGs ever. This is the last Final Fantasy game that will appear on the PlayStation, and SquareSoft has definitely saved its best for last.
  3. A masterpiece of an adventure game. For anyone not to fall in love with it would truly amaze me. Everything is set just right and you are drawn into the story right from the very offset.