8.8

1. May 14, 2011
    My first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much ofMy first Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy XII so I'm quite a newcomer to the series. Since then I've played VII, VIII, XIII, III, and IV. Now before venturing into this game I was well aware that many thought this game only appealed to fans from long ago. In my experience however I've gotten quite addicted to it. I'm not really sure what it is about this game but other than the art much of this game is far too old. First off, the gameplay is not only extremely simple, but extremely easy. Much of your commands will involve holding down circle until one of your team mates are low on health, which will take a while. There are also quite a lot of random encounters, which really bugged me at first but I got used to them fairly quickly. You should also understand that there is no story in this game, you will relate with none of the characters and most of your quests are about killing someone to save someone or fetching something to do something. Probably my biggest criticism about this game is that is does nothing to help guide you to your objectives. The game's simplicity is perfect for playing on a bus or in a line but because of the extremely ambiguous goals, you'll often find yourself looking up what to do on a strategy guide. That being said I really do like the retro and simple feel of the game as well as the amazing art but it could have been much more fun with an objective marker. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2017
    I was hoping to experience the game that started the FF franchise, with some modern day conveniences added in. But with the updated graphics and audio, I kind of felt cheated out of that. This made its - by today's standards - generic, grindy gameplay harder to forgive. With characters that you name yourself, and that never speak, the game lacks personality. The bonus dungeon feels awfullyI was hoping to experience the game that started the FF franchise, with some modern day conveniences added in. But with the updated graphics and audio, I kind of felt cheated out of that. This made its - by today's standards - generic, grindy gameplay harder to forgive. With characters that you name yourself, and that never speak, the game lacks personality. The bonus dungeon feels awfully contrived and is the least enjoyable part of the game. Subjective, I know, but this really isn't the game that started it all. Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2010
    I began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact thatI began my goal of playing all Final Fantasy games through in order with, obviously, Final Fantasy I. I thought, might as well go with the newer PSP version and see how I like it. This game is fun, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. Unfortunately, the fact that it's so archaic without real characters or a story make it feel like a chore in some instances. Not to mention the fact that the random fights pop of much more frequently here than they do in the sequels. It's a difficult game, not for those who're planning on taking an RPG lightly. With this said, I do recommend it to those of you who are interested in seeking out the roots to a noteworthy series of games, or those of you who've played the original version, which I haven't, so I can't really tell you what's all been improved upon and changed. Expand
  4. AB
    Jul 8, 2007
    Without a doubt, the original Final Fantasy is a true classic; sadly, the Anniversary remake does not update the gameplay. Instead, by making only graphical and auditory changes, it allows this aged masterpiece to rust rather than shine.
  5. Dec 29, 2018
    Final Fantasy for the PSP is a remake of the classic RPG that first appeared on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

It features updated graphics that look wonderful, a slightly lower difficulty, a bestiary and more. It all sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Well, that's before you start to notice the downgrades in the game that for whatever reason the developer decided to put in. To

To begin with, the game normally feels easier than the tough as nails NES game, but there's theres weird spikes in difficulty that doesn't really seem to make sense. You'll still spend a lot of time grinding in the game and dying.

Another issue I have is they still haven't fixed the encounter rates, they are still really frustrating and I'm unsure why they didn't do anything about that.

Yet another issue is, there's been item changes, name changes, dialog changes, some stores don't sell what they used to, some spells no longer work with some classes, that sort of thing. You won't be able to use any other guide besides the PSP one, because none of the other guides are going to be accurate.

I honestly don't know why they did it to be honest. Maybe they thought they were balacing out the game, but in reality they may have actually made it more difficult in some sections than it should have been by screwing with these things.

Another small complaint I have is that, for whatever reason they made it so you had to press O + Select to bring up the world map. With the NES this was understandable, they only have a couple of buttons. With the PSP they had more than enough control realestate to just assign a standard button, or even have the option in the game's menu, but now, they kept with the hidden world map thing. Stupid.

Honestly, at the end of the day, there ARE better versions of this game out there. This isn't a bad game by any means, but there was some uneeded changes forced on the game and it's annoying.
  6. Jul 21, 2020
    I have alot of love for this game. Alot of it is fun, and I adore the aesthetic, but god damn you need to use a guide to get through alot of this. I gave into using a guide half way through and started getting overpowered. So I go to the final dungeon only to have it be a super blandly designed maze that is super grindy, with a end boss that is impossible to beat without an insaneI have alot of love for this game. Alot of it is fun, and I adore the aesthetic, but god damn you need to use a guide to get through alot of this. I gave into using a guide half way through and started getting overpowered. So I go to the final dungeon only to have it be a super blandly designed maze that is super grindy, with a end boss that is impossible to beat without an insane amount of grinding. When Dragon Quest games were updated for new platforms, they reduced the ridiculous grinding of the old days, no such treatment for Final Fantasy

The battle music also gets really old really fast.
  7. Jul 22, 2020
    es un videojuego de rol creado por Hironobu Sakaguchi, desarrollado y publicado en Japón por Square Co. en 1987; y publicado en Estados Unidos por Nintendo of America, Inc. en 1990. Es el primer juego de Square de la serie Final Fantasy. Originalmente lanzado para la consola Nintendo Entertainment System (también conocida como NES), Final Fantasy fue relanzado para varias consolas más y eses un videojuego de rol creado por Hironobu Sakaguchi, desarrollado y publicado en Japón por Square Co. en 1987; y publicado en Estados Unidos por Nintendo of America, Inc. en 1990. Es el primer juego de Square de la serie Final Fantasy. Originalmente lanzado para la consola Nintendo Entertainment System (también conocida como NES), Final Fantasy fue relanzado para varias consolas más y es frecuentemente incluido junto a Final Fantasy II en colecciones de juegos. La historia comienza con cuatro jóvenes llamados los Guerreros de la Luz, quienes llevan consigo uno de los cuatro cristales Expand

#8 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2007
#16 Most Shared PSP Game of 2007

Mixed or average reviews - based on 34 Critic Reviews

1. Play Magazine
    My feelings are a lot less mixed about the fact that the Anniversary project is basically just a PSP post of "Dawn of Souls" with the two games sold separately. [June 2007, p.83]
    Gamers who are used to contemporary titles may find this one a little too simplistic and old for their tastes but if you can look beyond that, you'll be treated to an amazing rendition of a classic console RPG. [July 2007, p.86]
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Distressingly little effort went into crafting this anniversary package: Square Enix merely cobbled together aspects from the PS1 and GBA remakes, touched up the graphics with high-resolution art, and added one new, ultra-difficult dungeon at the game's end. [July 2007, p.95]