• Publisher: Namco
8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Nov 9, 2011
    I picked up this at the same time I bought my PSP 1000, and at the first glance... this game is IMMENSE! Since the PS1 release of the first Ridge racer, I have been a fan of the series and it is always interesting at how each newer version of the game changes radically from the last.
    The main talking point at the release of the PSP / and this game was its graphics and the speed that this small portable system can put out - and rightly so... no problems at all in that court.
    Being an arcade game, there are little to no instructions- race, drift around the corners to increase your boost bar, and then use the turbo to go ... faster....
    Controls are fairly decent, until you drift around a corner. The most remarkable thing in the RR world is when you can drift around a left corner... whilst TURNING RIGHT! ... I dont mean like that scene in the pixar movie, "Cars"- but... you can, drift around a left corner, skidding to the right?!? - the drifting in the game unfortunately seems to be based on a "roller coaster" so little to no feeling is apparent. - until you actually realise this, the game is damn fun though! - it is a shame though, and it looses points for some race-lovers who like to race normally by using brakes and a grippy tire system (as done in the early RR series)
    There are many stages in the game, or "series of races". each comprising of around 3-5 races. There is only a small number of tracks, taken from other versions (from PS1, PS2, Xbox360 etc) and they are flipped, reversed, and so on.
    As soon as you complete a stage you automatically get awarded a set of cars... which seem to be almost identical to the car you were just racing. It ended up becoming a chore just watching these segments in the end (similar to a loading screen)

Verdict: On the whole, this is a very entertaining game, until you realise that you are just repeating yourself by playing the same tracks over and over. - oh and until you see the "rollercoaster" drifting system at work...
    ...Oh, and ... If you have a choice between this and the PS3 version... GET THE PS3 ONE!!!

Pros:
    Fast
    Nice graphics
    A lot stages to beat!

Cons:
    Lack of feeling whilst drifting
    Win a car after every race, ... (yawn!)
    Feels like its stretched out too thin, game pace issues
  2. KC
    Mar 1, 2009
    the opening of the game and all that looked pretty polished when i first started it, so i got ready for the race of my life, but what i got first was visuals that looked crummy even for a psp, followed by what sounded like a black guy in the background sounding really happy and optimistic all the time really that got on my nerves. All that was still okay until the race started and thethe opening of the game and all that looked pretty polished when i first started it, so i got ready for the race of my life, but what i got first was visuals that looked crummy even for a psp, followed by what sounded like a black guy in the background sounding really happy and optimistic all the time really that got on my nerves. All that was still okay until the race started and the physics kicked in, that were totally unrealistic. the 'car' felt very artificially stablised, which i guess was to make the ride seem really smooth, but all it did was me hitting the "Home" button and playing Wipeout Pulse instead. Now that's a racing game. Expand
  3. Pettiforj
    Apr 6, 2005
    Excellent, best game I own on the PSP, so far, only drops off from getting 10 out of 10 due to its slight lack of feel and interaction with other cars and also lack of online play.
  4. Mobius
    Oct 10, 2005
    Great looking game with gameplay to match. Fast Fun and a great peice of software to show of the power of your PSP.
  5. Gazza
    Feb 11, 2005
    The game has outstanding graphics and runs at a very good rate without any glitches/pop-ups and also handles very well (the knuckle pad has a good touch and feel to it), but being a first-gen game, it does has limited depth and becomes a little repetive after a few weeks. Still highly recommended though, and considering it is a first-gen game, I would imagine the next generation of PSP The game has outstanding graphics and runs at a very good rate without any glitches/pop-ups and also handles very well (the knuckle pad has a good touch and feel to it), but being a first-gen game, it does has limited depth and becomes a little repetive after a few weeks. Still highly recommended though, and considering it is a first-gen game, I would imagine the next generation of PSP games will be very good indeed. Note for UK gamers: watch out for import taxes on the machine/games - I got hit for fifty notes (well worth it though!!!) Expand
  6. A.A.
    Feb 10, 2005
    Wow!
  7. Goaty
    Feb 8, 2005
    The Future Of Videogames in the palm of your hand. Who needs a TV anymore!
  8. RobW.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Terrible AI - Average graphics - Boring game play. Been there done that, like 8 years ago.
  9. KarlM.
    May 16, 2005
    Yes this had good graphics for a handheld but this is no classic. It brings no originality to the genre so in 5 years time this will be a forgotten title. There is no thrill here that can't be bought for budget price on the home consoles.
  10. LuisR.
    May 10, 2005
    The graphics are awesome, so is the sound and the control on this game. I love it.
  11. JatinderG.
    Sep 2, 2005
    Best racing game on psp so far-yes better than wipeout pure mainly because the tracks are MORE WIDER, and it is easier to control. Graphics are good although there is a lot of jagged edges which need anti aliasing. A must for racing fans.
  12. DavidB.
    Aug 7, 2006
    This is what the PSP was maded for!
  13. DavidH.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Stunning graphics, fast and furious gameplay. The only problem that I found is the extreme difficulty at higher level, that makes you loose interest. A must have.
  14. Nobby
    Oct 1, 2005
    This is game is way better than i expected. Excellent graphics.Good games r ines where the games programers put more time in the playability rather than kick ass graphics and i am glad to see the playability is 100% perfect.
  15. Jumper
    Feb 14, 2005
    Incredible. It looks amazing.
  16. SimonP.
    Feb 17, 2005
    I bought a PSP in the UK from an importer and as a fan of the first game from way back at the dawn of PS1 this game seemed the natural choice to go with it. In terms of visual prowess, if you haven't seen it running on PSP, it's hard to convey just how impossibly good this games looks considering that it's running on a machine that fits snugly in the palm of your hand. I bought a PSP in the UK from an importer and as a fan of the first game from way back at the dawn of PS1 this game seemed the natural choice to go with it. In terms of visual prowess, if you haven't seen it running on PSP, it's hard to convey just how impossibly good this games looks considering that it's running on a machine that fits snugly in the palm of your hand. I've seen it written that the PSP is capable of graphical performance between a PS1 and PS2..Nonsense! This game clearly demonstrates PS2 quality visuals. Once you've got over the initial awe, you're left with a very solid racing game in its own right. Presentation is slick, sound it great (but buy some decent earbuds - the PSP 'phones are poor) and most importantly the game plays very well. There are a substantial number of tracks (particularly when you remember that the first Ridge Racer had just a few variations of a single course!). The new drift ability is great fun and once the first league is passed competition gets suitably intense. I haven't completed the game yet so I can't say anything about additional unlockable cars etc but I'm sure there are some. No game is perfect of course and this is no exception. As with all Ridge Racer games opponent AI is nothing special and there are never more than about three cars on the screen at once, but that doesn't detract from the fun - Ridge Racer was never about the opponents it's about screaming around the gorgeous tracks. I also found the new nitro ability less enjoyable than it could be - the boost seems very short and less intense than it should be. But, these are all minor gripes against the excellence of the overall package. So, overall a great game that I've no hesitation in recommending and also one that serves to suggest that there are going to be some stunning games on PSP in the future. [Ed: thanks, Simon!] Expand
  17. BonnieC.
    Feb 24, 2005
    I was very surprised that the quality of the 3D graphics. This games sets the benchmark for the handheld. A must have novelty for the early PSP owner. With time, you do see a few rendering artifacts, but overall, you want to race each course just for the thrill of watching the impeccable Replay of each race.
  18. JohnQ.
    Feb 9, 2005
    It has de best graphics i've ever seen!!!
  19. MarcD.
    Mar 26, 2005
    An impressive launch title and a fun game to boot. What else could a gamer on the go ask for?
  20. BlakeT.
    Mar 29, 2005
    Easily the best racing game released at launch. The controls are great, the graphics are amazing, and you can really feel the speed. Nice variety of tracks and options. I was a bit disappointed you couldn't play the game online (like Twisted Metal); however, none of the other racing titles allow it either.
  21. BryantL.
    Mar 31, 2005
    I've gave it a nine just because i like how they changed the drifting and nitrous.
  22. HartmutG.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Very nice graphics and speed feeling, but only one world tour mode and just 12 tracks (that can be raced in opposite direction as well) are not enough and the drift does a little bit overreact.
  23. TillB.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The game is the best launch title on the PSP handheld system. It is also the best part of all the Ridge Racer games. The new nitro boost is a great feature, the gameplay is in each case suberb. The very good presentation with its wonderfull sounds and graphics will do that you will play this game many times.
  24. EricF.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Great.
  25. JamesO.
    Apr 9, 2005
    Ok if your a racing fan of the past you should get this game but if your a racing fan of the furture then i wouldn't waste my money. Also i wouldn't call this a replayable game.
  26. BobP.
    Jun 2, 2005
    This is my favorite PSP game. Everything about this game is great (i.e. Sound, Graphics, gameplay, etc). Though I do wish the game had more race tracks. Playing the same tracks over and over again, even with diferent cars, gets a little old. Otherwise, I would have given this game a "10".
  27. GrantH.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Good graphics but lacking in originality and soon becomes repetitive......
  28. Rick
    Sep 5, 2005
    While this is a fun games at first, over time this game begins to annoy you. The first set of races is super easy while the last is impossibly hard. The one redeeming factor is the fun it is to play against your friends.
  29. DionS.
    Dec 20, 2006
    I love the speed feeling you get from it, and the grafic is fantastic, it runs with out any problems and the music if great. The game is one of the best PSP games you can get, beautiful is the word for the game and gameplay.
  30. Nick
    Jul 25, 2006
    Outstanding accomplishment on the PSP and to think its nearly 2 years old. The graphics are stunning but its the gameplay that makes this an outstanding game beating all its rivals. Fantastic a must buy for any racing fan that owns a PSP.
  31. Felix
    Mar 23, 2005
    Excellent overall quality. A must if you appreciate a good racing game!
  32. J.L.
    Mar 25, 2005
    Nice graphics. Nice controls. Still plays like a Ridge Racer game. Ridiculous A.I., like all Ridge Racer games, one particular oppenent always seems to "rubber band" catch up to you when ever you're at the lead. Nice touch with the addition of nitro. Would be nice to see car damage and have the abillity run cars off the road. (Being sarcastic) But I guess that won't be Ridge Nice graphics. Nice controls. Still plays like a Ridge Racer game. Ridiculous A.I., like all Ridge Racer games, one particular oppenent always seems to "rubber band" catch up to you when ever you're at the lead. Nice touch with the addition of nitro. Would be nice to see car damage and have the abillity run cars off the road. (Being sarcastic) But I guess that won't be Ridge Racer right? Over all, good fun. Kills the battery though, I get 3 hours on my PSP with this game on single player. Expand
  33. EricF.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Great.
  34. JacobF.
    May 15, 2005
    Best graphics I have ever seen on a handheld system.
  35. RyanP.
    Apr 11, 2006
    This is my first PSP game i bought... This game is so cool at first its kinda easy but at higher levels the game is getting difficult. A game with good Graphics and Gameplay.
  36. Sep 3, 2014
    I really like this game and i rated this game 9.0/10.I like the graphics,cars,challenges,courses and the multiplayer.You can also unlock new cars,courses and other challenges as well but this game is very good for me to play at home and i finish this game 3 times.
  37. Jun 7, 2018
    Classic game for PSP that everyone had tried at least one time! Maybe an IA more calibrated would be the game perfect, but this is only a detail compares the incredible work made by Namco !!!
  38. Feb 14, 2021
    I never played a Ridge Racer game prior to playing this one, so I have no history to look back on in regards to the series, so my review won’t touch on any sort of comparisons. With that said, even 15 years later, the game still looks and plays fantastic! You could tell Namco went all-out for this title and, remembering this was a launch title for the PSP, it made quite the statement onI never played a Ridge Racer game prior to playing this one, so I have no history to look back on in regards to the series, so my review won’t touch on any sort of comparisons. With that said, even 15 years later, the game still looks and plays fantastic! You could tell Namco went all-out for this title and, remembering this was a launch title for the PSP, it made quite the statement on what the little handheld could do. Visually, the game is stunning. Cars, lighting, backgrounds…they all look impressive and are very detailed. The game is also really fast with zero framerate issues which gives you a tremendous sensation of speed as you’re playing. The sound is good with a few exceptions (i.e. hitting the wall or another car) and the soundtrack is noteworthy (even though that style of music is not my thing). I realize Ridge Racer is an arcade racer, but where it falls short sometimes is the physics. For one, running into another car yields an unsatisfying knock sound and nothing resembling what would really happen…the other car doesn’t slide or spin out, nothing happens to your car other than slowing down, etc. I can live with the fact there’s no visible damage, but if I hit a car in the rear quarter panel, I’d expect it to slide out of the way. The other instance where the physics fails is in the drifting. If you do it right, it’s quite the sensation and is very satisfying. However, if you start to drift the wrong way (i.e. the turn is to the right but you misjudge it and start to turn/drift to the left), you will still drift in around the turn even though you’re facing the wrong way! That takes you out of the game for a moment. Otherwise, the controls are good and the game is a lot of fun…up to a point. As you progress, the game gets harder and harder until you reach a point where you feel like you have to run a perfect 3-lap race with absolutely zero mistakes to win. Keep in mind, you start every race in last place so you have to pass 11 other cars while also negotiating the track without ever slipping up. That standard of perfection becomes frustrating after a while and takes away from the enjoyment and the desire to keep playing. But Ridge Racer is still a phenomenal game and one that proved that console-level gaming could be had on the go! Expand

#8 Most Discussed PSP Game of 2005
#5 Most Shared PSP Game of 2005

Generally favorable reviews - based on 58 Critic Reviews

1. While the wireless feature is one of the best things in Ridge Racer, the very best feature of Ridge Racer comes in the form of its gorgeous graphics engine... Ridge Racer looks freaking amazing.
  2. The incredible graphics, tight controls and excellent music/sound effects are more than enough to warrant having this game.
  3. With its impressive graphic and new Nitrous boost feature, RR positions itself as the best game in the series and it provides a great example of the quality of games we can expect from the PSP.