7.1

1. Aug 31, 2020
    Look, I don't want to mince words: its way too buggy. There's no excuse to release a game with this much random slowdown/lag, freezes, menu glitches, and control glitches. They are patching them which is nice, but like... I didn't even get it when it first came out and I'm still struggling with all these bugs. I thought it was just the switch port was botched, but reading around it looksLook, I don't want to mince words: its way too buggy. There's no excuse to release a game with this much random slowdown/lag, freezes, menu glitches, and control glitches. They are patching them which is nice, but like... I didn't even get it when it first came out and I'm still struggling with all these bugs. I thought it was just the switch port was botched, but reading around it looks like it's like this on multiple platforms.

The writing is pretty solid, but drags unnecessarily in parts. Also, I know the game is set in hell, but pick a tone. It feels like they are going for a kind of Grim Fandango deal, melancholic but humorous, But then other times, things are said or done that are a bit whiplash inducing, and it's just not executed well enough for it to feel... "all on the same page", so to speak.

Graphics are simple but serviceable, the art direction is definitely holding up the slack. That said, there are some areas that feel a bit barren (yes even for hell) and could have used a bit more love. That said, the areas with top design are a wonder to behold, even if the kind of low-tier graphics hold it back a bit.

Mechanics are alright. Walk speed is both too slow *and* too fast. When nothing is being said and you have to cross a decent distance it's *agonizingly* slow, but when people *are* talking, you regularly have to stop walking or you'll end up having them skip parts of their conversation really jarringly. Dialogue system is fun but can feel a tad surface level at times, like you're not really affecting much with what you choose.

If this were a smooth running, bugless experience, I'd likely have given it an 7 or higher, maybe an 8. But... it's not. The bugs are bad enough that I am too frustrated to actually *finish* the game. A game this simple graphically and mechanically has no excuse to be chugging this hard this often, and *super* doesn't have any excuse to be *crashing.* It hurts me to rate it this low, as I can tell this is a passion project with some real love behind it, but... I don't think I could ever recommend this in good conscience to someone. My only hope is X months from me posting this they've fixed it and optimized it properly, but as far as for me, the damage is done.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 30, 2020
    Playing Afterparty feels like a bad night out with friends. Things didn’t go as expected, but it’s still fun.
  2. Mar 27, 2020
    Despite the technical hiccups, Afterparty is certainly worth your time. I don’t see much of a reason to pick up the Switch version over the previous releases necessarily, but it at least seems on par with other consoles. So yeah, check out Afterparty if you haven’t already, I really, really enjoyed it.
  3. Mar 20, 2020
    Afterparty is a hilarious bar hop through Hell. I had a blast meeting all the demons and people roaming the streets and crashing Satan’s house party. I highly recommend this game for anyone who is looking for a humorous take on life and death. Night Club Studio knocks another one out the park.