8.8

1. Sep 21, 2019
    To start, this game is well directed with loads of good work done into characters and the comfortable flow of what they put into the gameplay style in terms of concept. Despite it being what most would call a visual novel, AI: The Somnium Files takes the concept of it to another level by putting in interactive segments that are full of humor, character, symbolism, and aesthetic while stillTo start, this game is well directed with loads of good work done into characters and the comfortable flow of what they put into the gameplay style in terms of concept. Despite it being what most would call a visual novel, AI: The Somnium Files takes the concept of it to another level by putting in interactive segments that are full of humor, character, symbolism, and aesthetic while still retaining it's full value of being a "Visual Novel" style story and character driven game that will throw you for loops with branching paths. Like many visual novels, it's a very laid back experience and it pulls off what it's supposed to do really well while somehow still having you on your feet with highly unique and dialogue centered interactions that you wouldn't want to miss.

Gameplay: Consistent, Voluntary and Detail Oriented:
    In most parts of the game, you're playing a social first person dialogue oriented point and click interactive novel. For the people who like design and detail, the amount of interactions you can have within these areas and scenarios is done perfectly and done well enough to keep you interested into every single detail of every frame of the game. Plus, with me personally, I had fun with just the characters dialogue and the personalities alone.

You can choose to blaze through the story like a regular visual novel, or you can choose to take in the small details in the environment and take in more of the personalities of the characters that I am sure many players would grow to enjoy. There are segments that are physically interactive in the third person as you roam the Somnium (deep sleep recess of the mind), and interact with items in the room that you move in while controlling Aiba, your AI False Eyeball Companion that literally lives in your head. Explore the Somnia, interact with items, and solve puzzles. It's quite simple and the developers did it well.

The soundtrack is amazing. The characters are unique and amazing, and although there are some that are "cliche" in scenario, the way that they are interpreted and put into the story is well done. The physically interactive segments are a really good fun new touch to what one would expect from a Spike Chunsoft "Visual Novel". In all fairness, it's an interactive dialogue centered game that is a rare combination of being BOTH character (in terms of interactions and personality) and story driven. I am very happy I got this game. Definitely a must buy for anyone who is looking for a laid back yet highly enjoyable mystery solving aesthetically pleasing AND YET on your toes unique experience. Another amazingly directed game, and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
  2. Oct 26, 2019
    The Ai:Somnium files was truly something else but that doesn't mean that it was either good or bad.The game 70% of the time was incredibly boring and tedious with most of the characters being cliche one sided heroes where you can see in any game.There were some parts where you felt a strong emotion to characters and their story was great(like the dementia mom but that was like 1-2The Ai:Somnium files was truly something else but that doesn't mean that it was either good or bad.The game 70% of the time was incredibly boring and tedious with most of the characters being cliche one sided heroes where you can see in any game.There were some parts where you felt a strong emotion to characters and their story was great(like the dementia mom but that was like 1-2 times in the entire game where you felt any strong emotions to the game and its characters .Everything else was so boring,tedious and predicable and most of the characters that you were supposed to cheer(or hate) were one dimensional and cliche where you can see in every other game.I understand that the director who made one of the best series(999, and the zero escape series) which had serious and had loveable characters with an amazing story .He tried to make a more humorous game this time and failed big time. The characters were boring,the humor was stale(even for japanese audience) and the story was tedious,boring and predicable that i barely kept attention to it and still understood everything.This game was just not really fun or interesting and it barely had any emotional and good parts.Characters are bland and cliche and the gameplay was just boring and i was wondering when the game was gonna end.It had some good parts but they were not worth waiting and enduring 80% of the games boring and predictable story.I suggest you buy this when its on a huge discount if you loved the zero escape series but were looking for some more comedic and chill. Expand
  3. Feb 4, 2020
    The Ai:Somnium files was truly something else but that doesn't mean that it was either good or bad.The game 70% of the time was incredibly boring and tedious with most of the characters being cliche one sided heroes where you can see in any game.There were some parts where you felt a strong emotion to characters and their story was great(like the dementia mom but that was like 1-2 times inThe Ai:Somnium files was truly something else but that doesn't mean that it was either good or bad.The game 70% of the time was incredibly boring and tedious with most of the characters being cliche one sided heroes where you can see in any game.There were some parts where you felt a strong emotion to characters and their story was great(like the dementia mom but that was like 1-2 times in the entire game where you felt any strong emotions to the game and its characters .Everything else was so boring,tedious and predicable and most of the characters that you were supposed to cheer(or hate) were one dimensional and cliche where you can see in every other game.I understand that the director who made one of the best series(999, and the zero escape series) which had serious and had loveable characters with an amazing story .He tried to make a more humorous game this time and failed big time. The characters were boring,the humor was stale(even for japanese audience) and the story was tedious,boring and predicable that i barely kept attention to it Expand
  4. Feb 11, 2020
    After the Zero Escape series' conclusion Kotaro Uchikoshi is back in force with another visual novel exploring the nature of intelligence and identity in the post-information age. That this game takes a more obviously humorous approach in its storytelling only makes it more unsettling than Uchikoshi's previous work. Longer than usual load times crept in towards the end of the game, but IAfter the Zero Escape series' conclusion Kotaro Uchikoshi is back in force with another visual novel exploring the nature of intelligence and identity in the post-information age. That this game takes a more obviously humorous approach in its storytelling only makes it more unsettling than Uchikoshi's previous work. Longer than usual load times crept in towards the end of the game, but I still felt like my skull had been caved in. Expand
  5. Feb 11, 2020
    Normally I never play games like this, but the developers and writers of this game have definitely won me over. Will there be a sequel? I hope so! When I finished the game, I was left with so many questions related to the other psyncers aside from Kaname Date, but other than that, this game has won me over
  6. Feb 11, 2020
    Inspiring game with great storytelling. The Zero Escape series has always been one of my favorites, and this game lives up.
  7. Feb 11, 2020
    Thank you Mr. Uchikoshi! I subscribed to Metacrtic to share nice words about your games. AI is incredible, it's beautiful, well-written and surprising too. Cheers!
  8. Feb 11, 2020
    Great visuals, good story. Love the wholesome bits, and comedy. This game is worth playing. If you like spike chunsoft games, you'll love this one. Or even if you don't, if you like murder mystery that isn't super ultra scary with good story and abit of humor with some feels moments, this is the game for you.
  9. Feb 11, 2020
    Absolute favorite. Charming, engaging, visually and thematically interesting, with a great cast and story.
  10. Feb 11, 2020
    AI: The Somnium Files (pronounced like "eye", not "A. I.") is a treasure - while the puzzles can be on the simple side, the characterization and storytelling present in this game is something truly special. I found myself genuinely caring and enjoying the little moments between Date and Aiba, Ota, Mizuki, and Tesa; don't be afraid to mess up or try things that seem wrong in the SomniumAI: The Somnium Files (pronounced like "eye", not "A. I.") is a treasure - while the puzzles can be on the simple side, the characterization and storytelling present in this game is something truly special. I found myself genuinely caring and enjoying the little moments between Date and Aiba, Ota, Mizuki, and Tesa; don't be afraid to mess up or try things that seem wrong in the Somnium segments, that's where the best dialogue is!

Shoutouts to all the hard workers in the ENG voice cast as well, this is probably one of the best acted games I've ever played. GOTY for me in 2019 without a doubt.
  11. Feb 11, 2020
    A mixture of the strong story telling sensibilities of the Zero Escape series and some good old silly humor this game is great for fans of Visual Novels or slightly fantastical mysteries. The story and majority of the cast are well written and incredibly likeable, and the game's use of a narrative map makes following different routes easy and requires only minimal replaying of specificA mixture of the strong story telling sensibilities of the Zero Escape series and some good old silly humor this game is great for fans of Visual Novels or slightly fantastical mysteries. The story and majority of the cast are well written and incredibly likeable, and the game's use of a narrative map makes following different routes easy and requires only minimal replaying of specific scenes, which is a big step up from the way most route based games handle their various endings. My only complaint is that while the main character Kaname Date is very likeable in his own way he does often ruin the mood with out of place sexual humor, may not bother some but it happened a bit too much for me. Otherwise the rest of the cast is phenomenal and loveable in their own quirky ways. I'd recommend this game for fans of the Director Kotaro Uchikoshi or if you're looking for a good dark mystery that knows when to use levity. Expand
  12. Feb 11, 2020
    An incredibly heartfelt experience that manages to be both one of the funnest games i've ever played, as well as one of the tensest murder mysteries i've experienced. it's easily one of the best games I've ever played, and if you like murder mysteries and some light sci-fi then you owe it to yourself to check it out.
  13. Feb 11, 2020
    A fantastic game! The storyline is well-developed, the characters are well-rounded, the gameplay is easy to pick up. The controls feel intuitive and the puzzles are challenging. The story is well-placed, but easily replayable if one becomes lost. The game handles sensitive topics well, and it satisfies the horror buff in me.
  14. Feb 11, 2020
    Ai: The Somnium Files is an incredibly gripping and hilarious murder mystery story about love and family that explores lots of interesting concepts. There are characters that have more than meets the eye to them, shocking plot twists, and fun puzzles to solve. If you've played any of the Zero Escape games then you probably already know what I'm talking about. I could not stop playing onceAi: The Somnium Files is an incredibly gripping and hilarious murder mystery story about love and family that explores lots of interesting concepts. There are characters that have more than meets the eye to them, shocking plot twists, and fun puzzles to solve. If you've played any of the Zero Escape games then you probably already know what I'm talking about. I could not stop playing once I started it and all in all I think it's a very satisfying self contained experience. 10/10 I loved every second of it. Expand
  15. Feb 11, 2020
    Aight positive review bomb time This game is phenomenal. I'd have to sit down for at least three hours to sing all my praises for it. The writing is very well paced, all the characters are amazing in their own crackhead ways, and the mystery is captivating. Date and Aiba's relationship is hilarious, there is never a dull moment between the two whether the scene is serious or **** MizukiAight positive review bomb time This game is phenomenal. I'd have to sit down for at least three hours to sing all my praises for it. The writing is very well paced, all the characters are amazing in their own crackhead ways, and the mystery is captivating. Date and Aiba's relationship is hilarious, there is never a dull moment between the two whether the scene is serious or **** Mizuki and Date work so well as a "found family" and Mizuki END is so sweet it's tooth rotting. Pewter? Outstanding, finally a big brain character that isn't all science lingo and can't crack a joke. Even Shoko, who is absolutely horrible as a person, is a good character that serves her purpose. Mizuki's trauma is presented very well and it's obvious that heavy research was done to make sure nothing was being misrepresented. It would be a crime to not give a passing mention to the LGBT representation from Mama, Pewter, Renju, Date, and Kagami.

Every route has its charms and even with one route being the cause of my nightmares for two days, I can't say there's anything negative about it. I can confidently say the Annihilation Route scared me **** and I was not prepared for any of it. As the name suggests it isn't the happiest by any stretch of the imagination but it delivers in every department. The soundtrack in Iris' somnium properly freaks you out, you get very clear insight to the past Cyclops Killings, and so much of the story starts coming together.

Fans of the Zero Escape series and other Uchikoshi works (such as myself) will definitely like this absolute masterpiece and will understand just how underappreciated it is, much like all of Uchikoshi's games. Not to sound like elitist garbage but they're just too ahead of their time. I know for certain people will look back at ZE and AITSF and think "how did we miss such incredible games?" I know the review bombing came from some bitter Ota kinnie who's too far up his own ass to understand Iris' treatment in the game and is blinded by his loyalty to a fictional idol and not Reddit's speculation of hate on the LGBT speech Mizuki gives in Marble (which drove me to tears) but regardless of the situation, AI: The Somnium Files does not deserve any hate, from pathetic Ota kinnies or not. At this point, I'm pretty sure Uchikoshi could predict the future and wrote Ota **** around that sad lump of **** because there are too many similarities between the two. I'm not kidding, he's smart enough to put together the plotlines for the ZE trilogy and AITSF with minimal plotholes, who's to say he didn't base SHIFTing off his real life experiences? Is Kotaru Uchikoshi the second coming of God? I certainly wouldn't deny it.
  16. Feb 11, 2020
    The game tells a great story, and I think people who give very low scores just signed up a brand new account to express their anti-LGBT attitude.
  17. Feb 11, 2020
    Way much better than my expectation, one of the best script-based games in the past at least 5 years.
  18. Feb 19, 2020
    Really compelling and brilliantly told murder mystery story. A great intro to Uchikoshi's works with a 10/10 ending
  19. Feb 11, 2020
    I was gonna copy and paste bible verses and replace any parts about God with Uchikoshi but that's not something I could achieve so instead I'll give that beautiful son of a gun all my love and support with positive reviews to balance the rating out and just generally being an avid fan of his works
  20. Feb 18, 2020
    This game is one of my favorite games I’ve played so far. There’s so much emotion and suspense packed into this much underrated game. Uchikoshi never fails to amaze me with his games and his passion really shines through with this one! You can tell that a lot of work went into the creation of the game, and that’s one of the many reasons it’s such a great play.
    You’re guaranteed to get
    You’re guaranteed to get invested in the story, the characters, and making all kinds of theories about what’ll happen next. The suspense really leaves you on the edge, making it nearly impossible to put down!
  21. Feb 19, 2020
    A friend recommended me this game because I liked the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa series. I fell in love directly, amazing characters, humor and plot twists. It took me only 2 weeks to complete it. I'm making this review because the game is review bombed again and I'm disappointed since this game is truly amazing. I hope people will play and enjoy it as much as I did !
  22. Feb 19, 2020
    I was eyeing this game for a while now, had seen a couple of things about it here and there not nothing much. Being a fan of the Danganronpa series, as soon as I found it AIÑ The Somnium Files was made by Spike Chunsoft I knew I had to play it. so far I have been absolutely loving it: great characters and a storyline that keeps you on your toes, would definitely recommend to anyone lookingI was eyeing this game for a while now, had seen a couple of things about it here and there not nothing much. Being a fan of the Danganronpa series, as soon as I found it AIÑ The Somnium Files was made by Spike Chunsoft I knew I had to play it. so far I have been absolutely loving it: great characters and a storyline that keeps you on your toes, would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a good thriller Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2020
    This was my first visual novel and I fell in love with this game. I love whodunits and this game gives me everything I want from this genre.
  24. Feb 28, 2020
    The AI somnium files is a murder mystery that has you follow the main character Date and his AI partner as you uncover the truths behind the new cyclops serial killings. You do this by going through point and click segments interacting with items in the world, talking to the people on screen, and later doing one of the core gameplay segments, psyncing (diving into someones dreams). As youThe AI somnium files is a murder mystery that has you follow the main character Date and his AI partner as you uncover the truths behind the new cyclops serial killings. You do this by going through point and click segments interacting with items in the world, talking to the people on screen, and later doing one of the core gameplay segments, psyncing (diving into someones dreams). As you do these dives, you learn that there is a branch in peoples minds where the story will diverge into different routes, this is all reasonably well maintained in a flowchart and allows for you to experience the events of a single day in different fashions.

While this gameplay loop isn't very intensive and relatively simple, I feel like it combos really well making an interactive story that I was able to sit down with and enjoy while being tired. The relaxing yet intense vibes as you are constantly trying to make sense of all that is happening in this world really got me going to the point I did screw up my sleep schedule just to achieve a route ending out of sheer curiosity. Overall I loved the characters and story.

Mentioning the story, I feel that it was structured very well. The mystery was well laid out, the characters all accomplished their roles very well, and it was a fun journey with just the right amount of chaos. There were some minor inconsistencies but i don't feel like those take to much from the overall experience. If I have anything to really complain about, its probably any of the action scenes. They were almost all poorly executed, extremely random, and definitely aiming at just being fan service (and the only one i actually even semi liked was one having the mc deciding if saving a life is worth the porn in his jacket).

In conclusion, I give this game a 9/10 for the fact that I was hooked throughout the entire 25ish hour experience. It was a good ride that was I was able to relax with and I absolutely loved the style of writing in most cases. This game will is definitely not for everyone as its catered towards "weebs" but if that isn't going to phase you, I would humbly recommend giving it a shot. A-set you bet.
  25. Feb 18, 2020
    AI: The Somnium Files is a Graphic Adventure with strong Visual Novel elements that places you in the role of an investigator in a futuristic police force that uses AI-augmented vision and subconscious-exploring technology (a la Inception) to solve crimes.

This game's story and presentation is one of its strongest elements. It starts with a gruesome murder, and you're immediately introduced to protagonist Date (pronounced Daw-Tay), a member of a special police task force with bizarre futuristic technology, including the aforementioned Inception-esque dream technology. Date has been assigned to investigate the crime in part because he knows the victim, and the investigation will soon come to involve others in his life as well.

The story is told in a manner that's very reminiscent of an anime, with the game taking place in Tokyo and characters fitting into standard anime archetypes, although they're depicted with enough depth here, and the story itself is so engrossing that it really pulls you in - the game really makes you want to learn more about this world, and discover just what could have led to such a horrifying murder.

However, one of the more inventive ways the game draws you into this world is when the game has the player go into Somnium, the game's term for a person's dream state or subconscious. Here, players take control of an avatar of Date's AI companion, who must navigate the dream state to not only uncover clues to the mysteries at hand, but also possibly heal the mental trauma of the subject.

During these sections of the game, things play out like a warped Graphic Adventure, where players are observing the environment, looking for clues, and using items to solve puzzles, but since this is taking place in a dream state, the logic of everything doesn't follow real-world rules, and players have to try to wrap their brain around the strange logic this presents, often with symbolism playing just as much an element as traditional storytelling.

These sections are also presented in a way that limits a player's time to move around and interact in this state, forcing players to be selective about which actions to take in this limited time. I was initially wary of this gameplay element, but players can at any time simply stop moving and look around to think about what they'll do next, and the clock stops with them, meaning that feeling of being rushed isn't as much of a concern, and instead the limited time means that players will have to be sure that every action they take is one they're fairly sure will help them accomplish their goals. I really appreciated how this encouraged taking a measured, thoughtful approach to this game's mind-bending puzzles.

Outside of the Somnium sections, the game plays out more like a Visual Novel, with players observing environments, having conversations with various characters, and using the protagonist's artificial eye (itself a major character in the story) to dig up information.

If there was one part of the game that I felt was a bit lacking, it was this part of the game, which comprises the majority of the game. It's not bad, by any stretch, as there is some very good story conveyed through this part of the game. However, there's nothing here that compares to the puzzle-solving found in the Somnium sections, and often I found myself wondering if my choices in these sections mattered, something that never seemed in question in the Somnium sections.

Graphically, this game is good, using subtle cel shading to give this game an anime-style look that fits the story. It's not perfect - the environments could do with a bit more detail and the characters' mouths not moving in time with what they're saying feels a bit off, but on the whole this game looks pretty good visually.

The sound on the other hand, is pretty fantastic, and in particular I have to give credit to the voice acting in this game, which is pretty excellent. Even though the writing at times dips into the cross-cultural awkwardness that's often typical of anime localizations, the voice acting does a great job of conveying the characters' feelings and giving us a good feel for them as actual people.

I really enjoyed AI: The Somnium Files, thanks to the great story and presentation, and in particular the Somnium sections of the game, which are so surreal and with such unique puzzle logic that there doesn't seem much else out there like them. It's a shame that the rest of the game's gameplay isn't quite as engaging and imaginative as these portions, but the story generally picks up the slack. Fans of Graphic Adventures, anime, and sci-fi who don't have a problem with creepy, violent imagery should consider this game a must-buy.
  26. Feb 23, 2020
    Having played the zero escape series I more or less knew what I was walking into... A string of escape room puzzles with an extremely complex plot and while the former was exactly as good as I expected the former was a bit of a letdown.

I admit the latter part of the zero escape series (VLR-ZTD) had a hugely unfair difficulty curve but this feels like a massive over-correction. The puzzle sections feel a bit too easy.. indeed its no longer about carefully combing the environment and taking your time its about managing it. Every action in a puzzle section costs you time even walking. You can stand still if you need time to think but I found myself brute forcing these sections more often than not.

I think I get what they were trying to do. Zero escape definitely had trouble conveying urgency through game play. You weren't ever solving puzzles under the gun, you had all the time in the world. So you'd have characters yelling at you to hurry but you quickly figured out there was no penalty coming. The new system... sacks interesting puzzles in favor of trying to add tension and I'm not sure I approve, I like being challenged and the puzzles just weren't doing it for me the way this director previous work has and while I enjoyed playing it I'm sort of hesitant to re-play it over 999 or VLR.

That said I still wholly recommend it for its story aspect and while that too is was way more simple than I'm used to I was sort of okay with that by the end.
  27. Feb 11, 2020
    very nicee perra..esta de puta madre y ojala gane un oscar y logre armar todos os cubos de rubik de tony fisher y de oscar y le reviente la puta madre a lilou en el bc one y todo eso ..los quiero
  28. Feb 11, 2020
    I really really enjoyed this game! It really was fun and beautiful, it can be slow at points because of reviewing of past events but that’s something that comes from a visual novel like game. The puzzles are fun and the story is really interesting! I’ve never experienced a game that made toy go back and forth between two routs to get the best and worst ending. Please please look at theI really really enjoyed this game! It really was fun and beautiful, it can be slow at points because of reviewing of past events but that’s something that comes from a visual novel like game. The puzzles are fun and the story is really interesting! I’ve never experienced a game that made toy go back and forth between two routs to get the best and worst ending. Please please look at the critic reviews and not the numbers, the game was just reviewed bomb and I found this out right after I beat the game so I had to come and let you know that most of those negative reviews are fake! Expand
  29. Feb 11, 2020
    An amazing game with memorable characters, **** twists, awful sex jokes that come up way too often, horrible singing, weird ass mechanics, bizzare interactions, and the strangest metabombing story ever. I loved every minute of it. I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you for so many amazing games, Uchikoshi.
  30. Feb 11, 2020
    Fantastic game with an engaging story that keeps you guessing. Follows the classic Uchikoshi story telling style of completing a number of different branches before unlocking the true path to the ending.
  31. Feb 11, 2020
    Its Wonderfull! The Characters were all fascinating and the routes were very interesting!
  32. Feb 11, 2020
    Really good game, intriguing gameplay with compelling characters and story. As usual with Uchikoshi, the humor resonated a lot with me.

P.S Hope you're happy bomb reviewers, the people that actually played the game easily outnumbers you.
  33. Feb 11, 2020
    If you're a fan of Uchikoshi's previous work, you won't be disappointed. It's a different style of storytelling and vastly slower paced than his previous games, but the characters are extremely well developed and branching storylines continue to converge and resolve in meaningful and satisfying ways.

Fantastic ending and definitely worthy of a 10.
  34. Feb 11, 2020
    One of the better games of the year, especially if you like strong narratives like Zero Escape and Danganronpa. I didnt think Ukisoki would be able to make something as special as his last few games but he hit it out of the park with some special characters I will remember for a long time.
  35. Feb 12, 2020
    The game starts off a little slowly, but it is well worth the wait. The characters are expertly developed throughout the story and the twist will have you reaching for each next chapter. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys visual novels or high stakes puzzle solving. I only wish that the game would have more puzzles throughout, but I understand the focus on storytelling. Overall, itThe game starts off a little slowly, but it is well worth the wait. The characters are expertly developed throughout the story and the twist will have you reaching for each next chapter. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys visual novels or high stakes puzzle solving. I only wish that the game would have more puzzles throughout, but I understand the focus on storytelling. Overall, it was a fantastic experience. 9/10 Expand
  36. Feb 12, 2020
    it is a game full of the style of Kotaro Uchikoshi. it is a pretty wonderful games with puzzle elements. if you like the series of Zero Escape, you will like this game.
  37. Feb 12, 2020
    A real good open-ending story game except loading time length. You can experience many different minor cultural factors while enjoy the various sides of charming characters and funny memes. Oh this is really a meme festival LOL
  38. Feb 12, 2020
    The game is really good. I think sometimes it's a bit slow, but I was quite surprised about how much I enjoyed it! Thanks developers!
  39. Feb 12, 2020
    Great game, a weird experience, has me crying by the end. I really enjoyed the mystery, and felt like I had enough information to solve it before the game explained it.
  40. Feb 12, 2020
    I bought this game without knowing the developer, I had seen it on offer and from the cover it seemed interesting enough to spend a few hours on it. It was a game that I bought in the dark and from which I didn't expect anything special. I'm happy to say that this game quickly became one of my absolute favorites, I found the story extremely intriguing and I found myself loving theI bought this game without knowing the developer, I had seen it on offer and from the cover it seemed interesting enough to spend a few hours on it. It was a game that I bought in the dark and from which I didn't expect anything special. I'm happy to say that this game quickly became one of my absolute favorites, I found the story extremely intriguing and I found myself loving the characters of it, something I didn't think was possible in the beginning. this probably will not be considered a fair review of the game, because although I'm giving him the highest score it isn't a perfect game, far from it, it is a game that goes from serious to stupid at a shocking speed and although many may find this a fault for me it doesn't to do nothing more than make me fall in love with it even more.
    I think this game can be summed up with the word "extravagant", and I was fascinated by this extravagant game, so even if this is not perfect I can't deny the fun I had with it and therefore I give it the highest rating.
    I hope that anyone who has stopped to read this review can at least give it a chance but most of all I hope you can enjoy it as much as I enjoyed playing it.
  41. Feb 12, 2020
    To get straight to the point: I love this game. Sure, it's not perfect (especially with minor performance issues on Switch), but that's the one way that sums up how I feel about it. I love this game, and very much so.

I've been a fan of Zero Escape for years, so Uchikoshi's new work does not disappoint. Expect wild twist and turns and a game world that just sucks you in. I know I definitely lost sleep over it, in a good way. I couldn't put it down once I got into it, and I'm sitting here two months after I beat it being completely unable to still stop thinking about it. The mystery keeps you captivated and I'm enamored with so many of the characters. I'm sure it's a game that I'll keep very dear to my heart for years to come.
  42. Feb 12, 2020
    This game is equal parts a charming and silly adventure to find the truth, and grizzly murder spree where no one can be trusted. Animation and graphics are huge step up from previous Uchikoshi games, and probably most VN's. English cast is also amazing.

Wait for a sale if you need to, but please do check it out.
  43. Feb 13, 2020
    Absolutely my game of the year of 2019. Being a visual novel, it's of course not everybody's cup of tea, but if you want a great murder mystery with great characters and a mind-bending plot, you've come to the right place. Anyone who's a fan of Uchikoshi's work or wants to get into his stuff would do well to check this one out
  44. Feb 13, 2020
    AI: The Somnium Files was my game of 2019. It was the Ace Attorney formula done right. Characters and scenery were all selectable in a 3d environment and the puzzles in the somniums engaged you based on the characters' personalities and how to solve them.
  45. Feb 13, 2020
    A dark and humourous detective VN with a loveable cast and a thrilling story.
  46. Feb 13, 2020
    I adored AI in every way . The characters were endearing . The plot was intriguing and it kept mr and my friend guessing up till then end. It was ride I would go on a million times and never get bored.
  47. Feb 16, 2020
    Made an account to make for the sore loser who bombed this game;
    Made an account to make for the sore loser who bombed this game;
    I'll admit I haven't actually played the game, but I did watch an entire lp of the game itself and I enjoyed it greatly. It's sitting in my wishlist at this very moment to play with some friends for our next get together,, just waiting for payday. The twists of this game are great, I loved the humor so much, and the characters were all great and absolutely memorable with their own unique characteristics. The voice acting is amazing, which isn't something I usually praise. I Highly recommend playing this game.
  48. Feb 16, 2020
    One of the best games I’ve ever played! The story is enthralling, nearly every character is fleshed out and sympathetic, and the twists are genuinely surprising while being hinted at and foreshadowed frequently. It’s not the most traditional game ever, but I would recommend it to basically who can handle a little blood/murder. I haven’t been this emotionally involved in a game in a longOne of the best games I’ve ever played! The story is enthralling, nearly every character is fleshed out and sympathetic, and the twists are genuinely surprising while being hinted at and foreshadowed frequently. It’s not the most traditional game ever, but I would recommend it to basically who can handle a little blood/murder. I haven’t been this emotionally involved in a game in a long time. There are some minor flaws (the switch version has some trouble playing some of the dialogue, Date’s Percy nature gets overstated and becomes a bit annoying, etc), but I’m willing to forgive them because of how thematically tight and well crafted the story is. Absolutely recommended. Expand
  49. Feb 16, 2020
    AI Somnium Files was a masterpiece and one of the most underrated visual novels.
  50. Feb 16, 2020
    Absolute masterpiece, one of my new favorite games of all time.
    If you're a fan of Zero Escape, Danganronpa, or murder mysteries in general, please play this.
  51. Feb 16, 2020
    I am a huge fan of Uchikoshi's works and was immediately interested in playing Ai: Somnium files the minute I heard about it coming to the switch. Let me just say, thank God I gave this game a shot because I adored this game from opening to closing credits. If you are a fan of solving murder mysteries or even crime mysteries with an amazing plot, loveable characters that are well definedI am a huge fan of Uchikoshi's works and was immediately interested in playing Ai: Somnium files the minute I heard about it coming to the switch. Let me just say, thank God I gave this game a shot because I adored this game from opening to closing credits. If you are a fan of solving murder mysteries or even crime mysteries with an amazing plot, loveable characters that are well defined and an amazingly funny story, then all I have to say is, stop what you're doing, pick up this title and PLAY THIS GAME!! You will not be disappointed. In fact, I can personally guarantee that you will not be able to put down. It's that f**king good! You will be blown away with just how much love and attention the entire team, from development to localization, gave to this project. Everyone literally put their blood, sweat, and tears into making sure that we got everything we could ever hope for in a well-polished game and it clearly shows.
    I know that I am repeating myself like a broken record, but that is just how damn happy I am to have played this work of art!! The plot was so well written and engaging that it kept me eager to find out what happened next. The twists and turns were just enough to keep you on your toes without becoming too convoluted or boring. And when all is said and done, I could not find a single character that I did not give any f**ks about. . . . Well, there was 1 or 2, but this is not due to poor character development. The characters were just that believable. The ending is satisfying and did not come off as a Dues Ex Machina or a mary sue. Lastly, I have to say that both voices acting in both Japanese and English were A+ grade. I actually loved the English dub and Japanese equally. This is rare as I usually only play or watch anime in Japanese only so that I can have the original context of a story as it was originally intended. But, the translation was so great that I was left grinning from ear to ear at the cleaver dialog and banter between characters.

In the end, thank you, THANK YOU Uchikoshi and everyone involved in creating and releasing this gem to the masses!
  52. Feb 17, 2020
    This game is truly amazing. I was super impressed by its story and characters. The suspense and mystery throughout the game kept me playing, and some parts even made me a bit emotional. I highly recommend this game, and it is a must play on my list.
  53. Feb 18, 2020
    Great game. Very good story. Spent hours on this game and couldn't stop it before I finished it.
  54. Feb 18, 2020
    Colocando Nota Máxima pq um corno veio e deu um bomb review. Espero q esse jogo ainda faça muito sucesso pela frente
  55. Feb 18, 2020
    I could go on and on about how much this game did right. It was exactly what I wanted from the project and more, with creative and fun character writing, a unique premise that immediately got me hooked, and constant twists and turns along the way. I couldn't recommend this game more.
  56. Feb 18, 2020
    Fantastic game with an amazing story, characters, atmosphere and soundtrack. Great for people who want to get into other visual novels and fans of Zero Escape and Danganronpa.
  57. Feb 18, 2020
    Quite possibly the best VN, and certainly the best mystery-centric game I've ever had the opportunity to play. Uchikoshi's newest work (999, VLR) is also quite possibly his best, in no small part due to a more restrained focus, tighter story, greater opportunities to flesh out his cast of lovable characters, and a presentation leagues beyond any of his DS and 3DS offerings. Is the gameQuite possibly the best VN, and certainly the best mystery-centric game I've ever had the opportunity to play. Uchikoshi's newest work (999, VLR) is also quite possibly his best, in no small part due to a more restrained focus, tighter story, greater opportunities to flesh out his cast of lovable characters, and a presentation leagues beyond any of his DS and 3DS offerings. Is the game perfect? Of course not, no game is. Some performance issues plague the game, it has crashed on my a few times (a generous autosave system prevented this from being anything beyond an annoyance) and some of the jokes didn't land quite as well as intended. However, it contains some of the best writing I've seen in any game to date, unforgettable characters, and a mystery that's still managing to worm it's way around my head. I wouldn't change a moment of it. Expand
  58. Feb 18, 2020
    Definitely one of the best games I've played from 2019, the story is fantastic and gripping, and the characters are incredibly memorable. 100% going to play again soon!
  59. Feb 18, 2020
    Ffs can people stop bombing this thing, its a good spike chunsoft game.....
  60. Feb 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gosh, this is an absolute Masterpiece!
    I mean, everything Mr. Uchikoshi does is pure quality, but this is just... Outworldy uwu

The "Familiar" atmosphere in Ota's route, the shock in the Annihilation route and the True Ending...Simply Masterful.
  61. Feb 20, 2020
    Great game. I'm a Nonary Game fan, so this game scrateches the itch well. Great characters and story. Puzzles may seem a bit easier than past games, but they are generally ok.
  62. Feb 20, 2020
    Great game for anyone into puzzle games and deep stories. Although some of the storylines are a bit lacking, the better storylines makeup for it. Especially the true ending storyline.
  63. Feb 21, 2020
    When I heard about this game, I immediately knew it would be something I would enjoy. I had never played an Uchikoshi game (well, I played an hour of 999 but that doesn’t count) but that didn’t stop me at all. As soon as I heard it was out for Switch, I bought it, and got the Day One edition with cute little stickers (One of which I slapped onto my laptop after finishing the game). TheWhen I heard about this game, I immediately knew it would be something I would enjoy. I had never played an Uchikoshi game (well, I played an hour of 999 but that doesn’t count) but that didn’t stop me at all. As soon as I heard it was out for Switch, I bought it, and got the Day One edition with cute little stickers (One of which I slapped onto my laptop after finishing the game). The first time I got it though, the cartridge was missing, which really bummed me out. Luckily, we got the game replaced and I was so excited to play it. I stayed up way to late playing the game because it was just so good! There were times when I had to remind myself to eat because I was so engrossed in the story. It’s not a long game, it took me 4 days of playing to finish it for a total of 24 hours spent in game. While the switch was a bit slow at loading some of the bigger scenes, it’s not that big of an issue. I could feel how hard the system as trying, as it was often really hot after coming out of docked mode. That said, the story, characters, and soundtrack charmed me so much. I really do love this game. If you have a love for murder mystery and humor, you’ll likely enjoy this game. Give it a shot! Expand
  64. Feb 22, 2020
    My absolute favorite game of 2019. I've loved all of Kotaro Uchikoshi's previous works but these is easily his best game in my opinion. Anyone that likes mystery games definitely NEEDS to check this one out. By the very end of the game it truly becomes something special.
  65. Sep 18, 2019
    If you love mind hunter, if you love true crime, if you love true detective, definitely you must go and play this game!!!!
  66. Feb 15, 2020
    Amazing mystery, amazing characters, tons of touching moments, an original puzzle system and at the end of the day one of the most unique experiencies of this year.
  67. Sep 28, 2019
    For fans of story based games: I must fully recommend with all of my being Ai: The Somnium Files!! I don't think I've ever left a story game more satisfied with the experience and the ending. It will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat, speculating, guessing. I couldn't put it down! I will play every game Kotaro Uchikoshi puts out for the rest of my life because of how much IFor fans of story based games: I must fully recommend with all of my being Ai: The Somnium Files!! I don't think I've ever left a story game more satisfied with the experience and the ending. It will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat, speculating, guessing. I couldn't put it down! I will play every game Kotaro Uchikoshi puts out for the rest of my life because of how much I enjoyed Ai. There were some moments that I think were meant to be funny that I didn't understand and I'd call those the low points, but luckily they were few! Expand
  68. Nov 2, 2019
    Fans of the zero escape series will get sprinkles of the series theyve come to love. Newcomers looking for an interesting take on interactive fiction will find this a great start. A large cast of characters with very detailed backgrounds. Soundtrack is very atmospheric, and voice acting is entertaining. Skipping text and scenes helps the impatient reader progress faster .

Now psyncing is

Now psyncing is the other half of the game and it's a mixed bag . Part of this process is seemingly random, played by "dream logic". Its really hit or miss but keeps the experience fresh as every dream psync is a glance into another character's mind, like a soft take on psychonauts. Overall I enjoyed the experience and found myself scanning every background item for every nugget of flavored dialogue and humor. Theres even hidden endings if you persist with background options or the games certain points where you can refuse or accept ridiculous conditions. That all said, the 75% mark as you go fillin in the blanks can be confusing keeping track of what has or hasnt happened.about an hour of slugging through that could've been done a bit better by explaining briefly what happened in this path/point in the story. Overall a great game and a must play for fans of zero escape. It's as good as 999 but still not as good as the nonary games (a great start to the series)
  69. Sep 25, 2019
    All of Uchikoshi's games are CRIMINALLY underrated. I am bummed and disappointed that no gaming websites seem to cover these games. The zero escape games are all amazing and this game is no different. If you like weird, touching, and intriguing stories then you gotta pick this one up. Performance is great, a few stutters here and there but less common than in a game like Fire Emblem: ThreeAll of Uchikoshi's games are CRIMINALLY underrated. I am bummed and disappointed that no gaming websites seem to cover these games. The zero escape games are all amazing and this game is no different. If you like weird, touching, and intriguing stories then you gotta pick this one up. Performance is great, a few stutters here and there but less common than in a game like Fire Emblem: Three Houses. This game is also hilarious. I don't think any other game has made me laugh out loud as often as this one has. Please pick this one up!! Expand
  70. Oct 30, 2019
    Kotaro Uchikoshi hits again with his mind-fxcking superpower. I manage to see part of the twist by the end of a route, but still amazed by the twist when it hit. Great puzzle solving with some "dreamy" quirkiness, but I don't like the time constraint. The humor in the game is awesome, with some easter eggs point to other games/anime, and some real world people. Not sure about how it wentKotaro Uchikoshi hits again with his mind-fxcking superpower. I manage to see part of the twist by the end of a route, but still amazed by the twist when it hit. Great puzzle solving with some "dreamy" quirkiness, but I don't like the time constraint. The humor in the game is awesome, with some easter eggs point to other games/anime, and some real world people. Not sure about how it went down in the other languages, but my Chinese version has an easter egg about Kojima's name being a "small island" when Date is searching for humans in Sojima's mansion. Expand
  71. Oct 26, 2019
    This is EASILY one of the best written video-games of this generation of gaming, and possibly even better writing than any game from last-gen too. The intricate hallucinating puzzle mechanics combined with the everlasting mystery Date tries to solve, leads to the resolution that left my mind blown after the hectic roller-coaster of emotions each path & scenario this game threw my way. TheThis is EASILY one of the best written video-games of this generation of gaming, and possibly even better writing than any game from last-gen too. The intricate hallucinating puzzle mechanics combined with the everlasting mystery Date tries to solve, leads to the resolution that left my mind blown after the hectic roller-coaster of emotions each path & scenario this game threw my way. The characters are immensely memorable and are written incredibly too. You can dive deeper into the somnium of my full review here at the link below!

72. Feb 8, 2020
    An excellent successor to the Zero Escape series. The writing was spectacular and the puzzles were satisfying to solve.
  73. Sep 27, 2019
    For a game about solving a grizzly murder its one of the most fun visual novels out there having an amazing cast of characters and great storytelling I'd say it's a must buy for anyone into visual novels.
  74. Sep 29, 2019
    Unlike the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Zero Escape games, AI: The Somnium Files is a bright and fun visual novel. The characters are well-written and the plot (relative to other Uchikoshi games) is strong and without too many plot-holes. Though there often are huge tonal shifts between "my friends are all dead" and "hey, look at the boobs!," the sheer comedy of the whiplash works inUnlike the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Zero Escape games, AI: The Somnium Files is a bright and fun visual novel. The characters are well-written and the plot (relative to other Uchikoshi games) is strong and without too many plot-holes. Though there often are huge tonal shifts between "my friends are all dead" and "hey, look at the boobs!," the sheer comedy of the whiplash works in the game's favor. The humor *is* more juvenile than I normally like, yet I still howled throughout.

AI suffers most in a comparison to Zero Escape when it comes to the "puzzles" (i.e. Somnia). These puzzles are governed by a not-too-generous time limit and some truly nonsensical dream "logic." Again, the nonsense ultimately works because it entertains, despite the initial frustrations of trial-and-error. But if you think you'll get to live out your anime detective fantasies, think again. The game is only non-linear in the classic Uchikoshi sense, with multiple timelines, all of which lead to a "true" ending. Within each puzzle for each timeline, there's only one correct solution with a tiny margin of error.

Performance in handheld mode is great; it only lags a bit when you use the skip function aggressively. In docked mode, however, the adaptive resolution is downright terrible: it's almost blurry enough to confuse the characters, which — being well designed — is a hard feat to manage. Luckily, I played most of the game in handheld mode and only discovered the terrible docked performance on a lark. Caveat emptor if you want to play this on a big screen.

The game's design is so haphazard and maximalist, I often thought I was having a stroke. As with most of the above shortcomings, this mess was actually charming. The game held my attention as much as — though for different reasons than — 999 and VLR. When I wasn't playing it, I was often thinking about it. If you're looking for intense and satisfying puzzles, this game has none. If you're looking to play it on your TV, this version is not recommended. But if you're looking for a visual novel overflowing with charm and humor, one with a genuinely mysterious and captivating plot, and one that you can play in your bed or while roaming, buy this game at full price. I reckon that I'll come back to it in a year or so, once I've forgotten most of the story beats.
  75. Oct 6, 2019
    This is probably the most well written visual novel I have ever played, its got its sad moments, hilarious moments, happy moments, and an amazing soundtrack. Kotaro Uchikoshi has made one of my new favorite games ever. Excellent game again!
  76. Feb 8, 2020
    Take into account the game has been review-bombed. Before that it used to be a 8.2.

Whether you enjoy AI depends on whether or not you usually like visual novels. Ushikoshi's style is usually hit or miss - if you dislike it, you'll have an okay experience with the game. If you like it, as I do, then you are in for a hell of a treat. I absolutely loved AI, from the characters, the music,

If you like it, as I do, then you are in for a hell of a treat. I absolutely loved AI, from the characters, the music, everything. My only issue is the first moments, as it starts slowly.

Otherwise, prepare yourself for this hidden gem.
  77. Dec 27, 2019
    This was my first VN game and i really got into this genre thanks to this game. The Characters the story 10/10 the twist is mindblowing atleast for me its a must in my opinion. And if people have never played VN games before this will be the best entry of newcommers hands down GOTY for me. WELL DONE.
  78. Oct 21, 2019
    Another riveting game by Uchikoshi. It has a captivating story perfect for fans of his other games. It made me laugh, cry and be intrigued by the characters and the plot until the very end. I would recommend it for anyone who likes the visual novel genre.
  79. Feb 8, 2020
    This is the pinnacle of VN mystery games. Probably the best one of its kind I've ever played. I do not know why it is getting review bombed but please ignore it.
  80. Feb 5, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. Compelling story with fun puzzle mechanics and a nice plot twist at the end. Expand
  81. Feb 8, 2020
    Amazing game and easily one of the highlights of 2019. One of the best Visual Novels I've ever played.
  82. Feb 8, 2020
    This game took me by surprise. I was not expecting to fall in love with the characters, plot, and gameplay. The pacing was spot on and didn't feel like it was dragging. The humor was outstanding and one of the best Ive come across in a visual novel. After playing AI, I tried playing the nonary game series but I couldn't get into it. The pacing was too slow and the story wasn't asThis game took me by surprise. I was not expecting to fall in love with the characters, plot, and gameplay. The pacing was spot on and didn't feel like it was dragging. The humor was outstanding and one of the best Ive come across in a visual novel. After playing AI, I tried playing the nonary game series but I couldn't get into it. The pacing was too slow and the story wasn't as captivating. Honestly, I think AI ruined other visual novels for me because it was that good. I look forward to seeing what else Spike Chunsoft comes up with and look forward to (hopefully) more visual novels from them. Expand
  83. Sep 17, 2019
    Uchikoshi has done it again. Created one of the most captivating and well written stories in gaming including bad sex jokes. Zero Escape was an instant cult classic and super narratives in gaming. Ai The Somnium Files is an amazing follow up.

the GOTY that will never get the attention or buzz it deserves
  84. Nov 25, 2019
    This game is typical of Uchikoshi -- a mix of scifi + mystery and some sexual innuendos littered about. I really appreciated the character development in this series, although the plot wasn't as immersive as 999. The sound track is quite enjoyable and relaxing, and the voice acting was actually really good.

As much as I liked the game and played it through to the end, I think the

As much as I liked the game and played it through to the end, I think the interactive "somnium" puzzle portions of the game weren't so enjoyable. The time limits put a lot of stress in rushing through trying to find the right path (which often require obscure logic), detracting you from the environment. It's a shame, because some of the environments are quite interesting since you're exploring a dream in the somnium. While at first it felt like it was a cheap way to add a challenge to the game, it works out with the plot.
  85. Feb 10, 2020
    this game is absolutely amazing, the story is so good and the mystery is so engaging, give it a try!
  86. Feb 11, 2020
    An excellent game. Probably my game of the year.Best ost , best suspense,best everything
  87. Dec 22, 2019
    This game is amazing. Beautiful Visual Novel with a compelling story. The story can be quite heavy and dark at times, but is also very light and easy to follow.
    Great characters that you can easily relate to.
  88. Feb 8, 2020
    I absolutely adore this game. All the characters are very well written, and the plot is filled with twists and turns that made me not stop playing until I finished it. There are a few small performance issues on Switch, but nothing major. Highly recommend to anyone who likes point and click games, or Kotaro Uchikoshi. I bought the limited edition, and I'm glad I got it.
  89. Feb 10, 2020
    Uchikoshi’s games are always unique in their ideas and execution with a blend of science fiction tropes and solid writing. Fantastic work.
  90. Feb 10, 2020
    This game was awesome, hilarious, and best of all: super weird. It has an incredible story but never takes itself too seriously. The fact that people are review bombing this fantastic game is incredibly disheartening. Don't listen to the bad reviews, check this game out! It will definitely be worth your time.
  91. Feb 8, 2020
    I loved this game. There was a lot of sex jokes but I didnt really mind it too much. It was exactly what I was looking for in terms of mind bending and the mystery was so fun to figure out. After a certain reveal I stopped playing so I could figure out how everything had played out in the other timelines. I love figuring it all out from there.
  92. Feb 10, 2020
    AI: The Somnium Files is another great game from Kotaro Uchikoshi, writer of the Zero Escape series. This game has a lighter tone than Zero Escape and never takes itself too seriously, but you will get glimpses of the excellent psychological thriller elements that Uchikoshi is so great at portraying. This is not a gameplay focused game, just a really gripping visual novel that fans of theAI: The Somnium Files is another great game from Kotaro Uchikoshi, writer of the Zero Escape series. This game has a lighter tone than Zero Escape and never takes itself too seriously, but you will get glimpses of the excellent psychological thriller elements that Uchikoshi is so great at portraying. This is not a gameplay focused game, just a really gripping visual novel that fans of the genre should give a chance. I Imagine this game will touch many hearts if it becomes more appreciated. Expand
  93. Feb 10, 2020
    This was my first Uchikoshi game and I really enjoyed it!! I've got a really terrible attention span and have not finished any game this quickly in a really long time.. I think i'm replaying it a third time? currently.. Played it on a friend's switch for about an hour and got hooked, then debated on price for about a month and i really regret not immediately buying it after honestly.This was my first Uchikoshi game and I really enjoyed it!! I've got a really terrible attention span and have not finished any game this quickly in a really long time.. I think i'm replaying it a third time? currently.. Played it on a friend's switch for about an hour and got hooked, then debated on price for about a month and i really regret not immediately buying it after honestly. Finished in a week? I'm so glad this game was suggested to me. Expand
  94. Feb 10, 2020
    Uchikoshi continues to gift us with incredibly fun thrillers featuring lovable characters and tension that keeps you going pushing through the story late into the night. Great for fans of his other works (Zero Escape and the Infinity series) and for new fans alike, especially if you're into mystery, crime, and puzzle solving. Can't wait to see more from Mr. Uchikoshi
  95. Feb 10, 2020
    This game was a great time. I started it and fell in love with it. I admit that it's not for everyone but that's ok.
  96. Feb 10, 2020
    This is a very genuine and funny game. It has a great mystery, interesting branching paths, and cool characters. It didn't deserve to be review bombed.
  97. Feb 10, 2020
    Fun mistery game with amazing characters. The puzzles are a bit of trial and error but they are still fun. Music is very good.
  98. Feb 10, 2020
    Another fantastic game by the Zero Escape devs. Uchikoshi continues to knock it out of the park in writing, storytelling, and gameplay, might be one of his best yet. Highly reccomended.
  99. Feb 10, 2020
    Uchikoshi is my favorite developer, hands down. I went into AI: Somnium Files expecting great things, and was not disappointed. The characters are extremely lovable, the humor had me on the floor at times, and the suspense had me on the edge of my seat until the very end. This is my favorite serial killer story, and finishing it left me tearful and telling everyone I knew to play it.
  100. Feb 10, 2020
    AI is a fantastic story, with a lovable cast of characters and plot twists that will blow your mind. Any fan of visual novels, mystery, and thrillers will love this game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Apr 30, 2020
    After a comparatively slow couple of hours at the start, AI: The Somnium Files takes off and never slows down. [Issue #44 – January/February 2020, p. 74]
  2. Dec 31, 2019
    With an endearing, violent, and engaging story, AI: The Somnium Files is an adventure game that fans of the visual novel genre should not miss. With a novel puzzle-solving mechanic and impressive voice performances, this game is a dream come true.
  3. Nov 12, 2019
    While the oversexualization is disappointing and even distracts from the story at points, I’ll still sing the praises of AI: The Somnium Files because it respects the player’s time, offers interesting characters, and the Somnium sections are great to explore. It’s recommended with a slight caveat, but it’s still recommended.