7.7

1. Sep 18, 2019
    I went in with high expectations, and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. The story is intriguing, the gameplay is unique in a way that works. I was also pleasantly surprised by the humour, which I thought could be corny at times in previous titles. The game is beautiful, and I'm a fan of the art style and game engine. The only thing that sort of bothered me was that a few instancesI went in with high expectations, and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. The story is intriguing, the gameplay is unique in a way that works. I was also pleasantly surprised by the humour, which I thought could be corny at times in previous titles. The game is beautiful, and I'm a fan of the art style and game engine. The only thing that sort of bothered me was that a few instances it felt like a low budget game, while at others it felt like a triple A game. Same with the music/sound - it was hit or miss, but it grows on you. Once you look past its minor deficiences though, this game truly is a masterpiece for fans of visual novel/point and click games. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2019
    If you love mind hunter, if you love true crime, if you love true detective, definitely you must go and play this game!!!!
  3. Sep 17, 2019
    Uchikoshi has done it again. Created one of the most captivating and well written stories in gaming including bad sex jokes. Zero Escape was an instant cult classic and super narratives in gaming. Ai The Somnium Files is an amazing follow up.

the GOTY that will never get the attention or buzz it deserves
  4. Sep 21, 2019
    To start, this game is well directed with loads of good work done into characters and the comfortable flow of what they put into the gameplay style in terms of concept. Despite it being what most would call a visual novel, AI: The Somnium Files takes the concept of it to another level by putting in interactive segments that are full of humor, character, symbolism, and aesthetic while stillTo start, this game is well directed with loads of good work done into characters and the comfortable flow of what they put into the gameplay style in terms of concept. Despite it being what most would call a visual novel, AI: The Somnium Files takes the concept of it to another level by putting in interactive segments that are full of humor, character, symbolism, and aesthetic while still retaining it's full value of being a "Visual Novel" style story and character driven game that will throw you for loops with branching paths. Like many visual novels, it's a very laid back experience and it pulls off what it's supposed to do really well while somehow still having you on your feet with highly unique and dialogue centered interactions that you wouldn't want to miss.

Gameplay: Consistent, Voluntary and Detail Oriented:
    In most parts of the game, you're playing a social first person dialogue oriented point and click interactive novel. For the people who like design and detail, the amount of interactions you can have within these areas and scenarios is done perfectly and done well enough to keep you interested into every single detail of every frame of the game. Plus, with me personally, I had fun with just the characters dialogue and the personalities alone.

You can choose to blaze through the story like a regular visual novel, or you can choose to take in the small details in the environment and take in more of the personalities of the characters that I am sure many players would grow to enjoy. There are segments that are physically interactive in the third person as you roam the Somnium (deep sleep recess of the mind), and interact with items in the room that you move in while controlling Aiba, your AI False Eyeball Companion that literally lives in your head. Explore the Somnia, interact with items, and solve puzzles. It's quite simple and the developers did it well.

The soundtrack is amazing. The characters are unique and amazing, and although there are some that are "cliche" in scenario, the way that they are interpreted and put into the story is well done. The physically interactive segments are a really good fun new touch to what one would expect from a Spike Chunsoft "Visual Novel". In all fairness, it's an interactive dialogue centered game that is a rare combination of being BOTH character (in terms of interactions and personality) and story driven. I am very happy I got this game. Definitely a must buy for anyone who is looking for a laid back yet highly enjoyable mystery solving aesthetically pleasing AND YET on your toes unique experience. Another amazingly directed game, and I hope it gets the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
  5. Sep 25, 2019
    All of Uchikoshi's games are CRIMINALLY underrated. I am bummed and disappointed that no gaming websites seem to cover these games. The zero escape games are all amazing and this game is no different. If you like weird, touching, and intriguing stories then you gotta pick this one up. Performance is great, a few stutters here and there but less common than in a game like Fire Emblem: ThreeAll of Uchikoshi's games are CRIMINALLY underrated. I am bummed and disappointed that no gaming websites seem to cover these games. The zero escape games are all amazing and this game is no different. If you like weird, touching, and intriguing stories then you gotta pick this one up. Performance is great, a few stutters here and there but less common than in a game like Fire Emblem: Three Houses. This game is also hilarious. I don't think any other game has made me laugh out loud as often as this one has. Please pick this one up!! Expand
  6. Sep 25, 2019
    I am 10 hours in and I can say uchikoshi still got. This game is a lot more humerous and has more sexual references then the zero escape series. He can still write things that will creap you out. And oh boy can he make you cry when he wants to
  7. Sep 28, 2019
    For fans of story based games: I must fully recommend with all of my being Ai: The Somnium Files!! I don't think I've ever left a story game more satisfied with the experience and the ending. It will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat, speculating, guessing. I couldn't put it down! I will play every game Kotaro Uchikoshi puts out for the rest of my life because of how much IFor fans of story based games: I must fully recommend with all of my being Ai: The Somnium Files!! I don't think I've ever left a story game more satisfied with the experience and the ending. It will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat, speculating, guessing. I couldn't put it down! I will play every game Kotaro Uchikoshi puts out for the rest of my life because of how much I enjoyed Ai. There were some moments that I think were meant to be funny that I didn't understand and I'd call those the low points, but luckily they were few! Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2019
    I’m saying it ,kotaro did it again and you must buy this! For me it’s just a MASTERPIECE!
  9. Sep 25, 2019
    Amazing mystery, amazing characters, tons of touching moments, an original puzzle system and at the end of the day one of the most unique experiencies of this year.
  10. Sep 27, 2019
    For a game about solving a grizzly murder its one of the most fun visual novels out there having an amazing cast of characters and great storytelling I'd say it's a must buy for anyone into visual novels.
  11. Sep 28, 2019
    From start to finish this game is a masterpiece. The amount of care and planing and writing and design that went into this game is incredible.
  12. Sep 29, 2019
    Unlike the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Zero Escape games, AI: The Somnium Files is a bright and fun visual novel. The characters are well-written and the plot (relative to other Uchikoshi games) is strong and without too many plot-holes. Though there often are huge tonal shifts between "my friends are all dead" and "hey, look at the boobs!," the sheer comedy of the whiplash works inUnlike the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Zero Escape games, AI: The Somnium Files is a bright and fun visual novel. The characters are well-written and the plot (relative to other Uchikoshi games) is strong and without too many plot-holes. Though there often are huge tonal shifts between "my friends are all dead" and "hey, look at the boobs!," the sheer comedy of the whiplash works in the game's favor. The humor *is* more juvenile than I normally like, yet I still howled throughout.

AI suffers most in a comparison to Zero Escape when it comes to the "puzzles" (i.e. Somnia). These puzzles are governed by a not-too-generous time limit and some truly nonsensical dream "logic." Again, the nonsense ultimately works because it entertains, despite the initial frustrations of trial-and-error. But if you think you'll get to live out your anime detective fantasies, think again. The game is only non-linear in the classic Uchikoshi sense, with multiple timelines, all of which lead to a "true" ending. Within each puzzle for each timeline, there's only one correct solution with a tiny margin of error.

Performance in handheld mode is great; it only lags a bit when you use the skip function aggressively. In docked mode, however, the adaptive resolution is downright terrible: it's almost blurry enough to confuse the characters, which — being well designed — is a hard feat to manage. Luckily, I played most of the game in handheld mode and only discovered the terrible docked performance on a lark. Caveat emptor if you want to play this on a big screen.

The game's design is so haphazard and maximalist, I often thought I was having a stroke. As with most of the above shortcomings, this mess was actually charming. The game held my attention as much as — though for different reasons than — 999 and VLR. When I wasn't playing it, I was often thinking about it. If you're looking for intense and satisfying puzzles, this game has none. If you're looking to play it on your TV, this version is not recommended. But if you're looking for a visual novel overflowing with charm and humor, one with a genuinely mysterious and captivating plot, and one that you can play in your bed or while roaming, buy this game at full price. I reckon that I'll come back to it in a year or so, once I've forgotten most of the story beats.
  13. Oct 6, 2019
    This is probably the most well written visual novel I have ever played, its got its sad moments, hilarious moments, happy moments, and an amazing soundtrack. Kotaro Uchikoshi has made one of my new favorite games ever. Excellent game again!
  14. Oct 21, 2019
    Another riveting game by Uchikoshi. It has a captivating story perfect for fans of his other games. It made me laugh, cry and be intrigued by the characters and the plot until the very end. I would recommend it for anyone who likes the visual novel genre.

1. Oct 21, 2019
    It's not the most substantial adventure game in terms of puzzles or comedy, but AI: The Somnium Files has it where it counts: the story and characters.
  2. Oct 5, 2019
    AI: The Somnium Files is a great game from the creators of Zero Scape. The story promises to keep the player expectant until the end of the adventure. The gameplay goes a little unnoticed and could have had more mechanics to enrich the gaming experience. However, for those of you interested in this type of visual novels, this is an essential title.
  3. Sep 25, 2019
    For fans of the Zero Escape games, AI: The Somnium Files is an absolute must-buy, and its more accessible story, interesting puzzle gameplay, and slightly muted anime aesthetic hopefully means it can enjoy a more mainstream success and potentially kick-start a new series for Spike Chunsoft.