5.6

Buy Now
Buy on

1. May 7, 2021
    The game is visually alright. However, it is quite horrible compared to other Animal Crossing games. Not only this, but the fact that it is marketed as relaxing throws me off. Animal Crossing is supposed to be fun, not relaxing. A very terrible title, and have got my refund two weeks ago.
  2. May 7, 2021
    Don't trust the critics, they are false. I've seen critics with lower ratings than a 70. Overall, the game is disappointing and lacking. False advertising, updates are lackluster, and the game is unplayable. It's buggy as well. Some sprites wouldn't load until 30 seconds later. 0/10.
  3. Mar 22, 2020
    I'm cool with the one island per console limitation, but its insane that progress in the game is restricted to what player one does. I recently started an island with my wife. What if my wife quits playing the game? Will I have to start over? Crazy.
  4. Mar 21, 2020
    It’s a fun game, very reminiscent of the old Animal Crossing games. HOWEVER, the inability for users of the same switch to have different islands isn’t cool. In fact, only the first player on the switch can complete assignments from Tom Nook and other characters. Not even a second copy of the game will rectify this. The only way to rectify it is to buy another switch. Nintendo is beingIt’s a fun game, very reminiscent of the old Animal Crossing games. HOWEVER, the inability for users of the same switch to have different islands isn’t cool. In fact, only the first player on the switch can complete assignments from Tom Nook and other characters. Not even a second copy of the game will rectify this. The only way to rectify it is to buy another switch. Nintendo is being VERY GREEDY in limiting the game play like this. And for that reason, I give this game a 4. Expand
  5. Mar 23, 2020
    To actually review this game I think you'll need two scores. The first score being the game when you are Citizen Representative (you booted up the game first) and the second score when you are an additional player.

I was unlucky enough to boot the game second and am not a Citizen Representative and to be honest I stopped playing the game after two days. You always have a feeling you have an inferior game where you are nothing more than a character on someone's island. You don't get to name the island, you don't get to build the structures on the island and you don't get to contribute to most of the "story" which Animal Crossing has to offer.

My brother who is the Citizen Representative enjoys the game and it is really polished and has a nice gameplay loop, but I feel ripped off. To me, this game deserves nothing more than a 1 out of 10, because I really cannot live with the fact that my game is limited. If you pay €60 for a game, you want to fully enjoy it. Now I just can't because of these restrictions.
  6. Mar 24, 2020
    "One Dictator, Seven Slaves" same-console multiplayer is a huge disappointment. We bought this game to *share* it- one island, one screen, shared decisions and contribution,
  7. Mar 25, 2020
    Only the first player created in the game can actually contribute to the development of the island and do the important stuff. The other players on the island can’t contribute and can only really gather resources. This limits every other player than the 1st one and really blows. I hope Nintendo fixes this.
  8. Mar 20, 2020
    My gf started playing before me. No option to create my own island and guys, being the 2nd player to start on a console SUCKS!!!! You miss out on so much that only the 1st player gets in terms of activities, resources, etc. It's absolutely terrible. You have to buy a 2nd console if more than one person in your household wants to get the full game experience. That's unacceptable.
  9. Mar 28, 2020
    Bought the game for my Girlfriend and me. The system that you can only have one island is absolutely **** Why Nintendo, why???? Destroyed so much fun for me..
  10. Mar 20, 2020
    My wife and I were looking forward to playing this game when it released. I bought it, I let her play first she made an island and played for a bit. Then I decided to play only to discover that Nintendo only allows one island per switch! Not only that, the second player cannot build anything on the island and tool building is considerably harder to do. So, if you have more than one personMy wife and I were looking forward to playing this game when it released. I bought it, I let her play first she made an island and played for a bit. Then I decided to play only to discover that Nintendo only allows one island per switch! Not only that, the second player cannot build anything on the island and tool building is considerably harder to do. So, if you have more than one person in your home that wants to play the game, you need two switches. Worst decision I have ever seen, this even beats EA.
    Congratulations Nintendo, you have officially become the worst video game company this year!
  11. Mar 24, 2020
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF MULTIPLE PEOPLE ARE PLANNING TO PLAY ON ONE SWITCH.
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF MULTIPLE PEOPLE ARE PLANNING TO PLAY ON ONE SWITCH.
    If you do, there goes $60 down the drain. Only 1 island is allowed to be created per Switch, and if another player on the same Switch wants to play, they'll be a glorified visitor on the island, unable to make any decisions for the island, being restricted to do essentially nothing but build their own home. The game either needs to make the option of making multiple islands or give everyone on an island the option to be in control. My sister made an account first and unless I pay another $300 for a new Switch, I can't play the game. Such a disappointment, would rather have gotten DOOM.
  12. Mar 24, 2020
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a great solo game that innovates and improves on most facets of the previous entries in the series and advertises that you can play with up to eight players on one island!
    On the surface it sounds great, and it can be if you only want to play solo. This is a social game though, meant to be enjoyed by more than one person, and that experience is unfortunately ruined by some unbelievably poor design choices and limitations.
    The only player who gets any real meaningful control over the island is the one who begins the game. They get to build villager's houses, place community buildings, etc. All players who come after them are treated like second-rate citizens, are given no control over virtually anything, and have a significantly diminished experience.
    Through their failings, Nintendo has ruined what would have been an amazing experience for people to enjoy together. Unless you intend to play this game solo I suggest avoiding it.
  13. Mar 20, 2020
    I was very excited for this new installment of the Animal Crossing series. And I wish I could say that all the new bells and whistles and pretty graphics have made it the best ever. But Nintendo made the worst decision they could have possible made for this game.

You can only have one island per SWITCH. Not per user profile. Not per Cartridge. Per SWITCH. This game is supposed to be

This game is supposed to be Zen. It's not supposed to be the reason for a spike in domestic homicides. Having to share limited space with multiple family members competing for limited daily resources basically makes this game unplayable if, like a reasonable human, you only have one of these consoles in your family because they already have multiplayer support and you shouldn't need more than one for everyone to enjoy a game.

Nintendo needs to patch this, or else refund every person that isn't a single person household with this game.
  14. Mar 20, 2020
    BEWARE! If you have multiple people in your house that want to play this game they can not each have their own account (island). ONLY ONE customizable island can be played per Switch. Even if you buy two copies of the game you will still only be able to customize ONE island. I have 3 kids that want to play this game and they each want to customize their own island - AND THEY CANT!BEWARE! If you have multiple people in your house that want to play this game they can not each have their own account (island). ONLY ONE customizable island can be played per Switch. Even if you buy two copies of the game you will still only be able to customize ONE island. I have 3 kids that want to play this game and they each want to customize their own island - AND THEY CANT! This is absolutely unacceptable. Maybe the dumbest thing Nintendo has ever done. I have owned every Nintendo console since the original NES and I can not think of a worse decision by Nintendo. Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2020
    The limitation of one island per Switch (not per cartridge, per Switch) is nonsensical. It‘s obvious Nintendo is just trying to sell more Switch consoles. This means only one person in your family can enjoy the game to its fullest extent. Player 2 can barely do anything, and their progression is blocked until player 1 progresses further. Player 2 can’t make any administrative decisions.The limitation of one island per Switch (not per cartridge, per Switch) is nonsensical. It‘s obvious Nintendo is just trying to sell more Switch consoles. This means only one person in your family can enjoy the game to its fullest extent. Player 2 can barely do anything, and their progression is blocked until player 1 progresses further. Player 2 can’t make any administrative decisions. Players 1 and 2 have to share limited daily resources. I had to delete my save so my brother could enjoy the game.

Sorry but this is an instant 0/10. The Switch is a family-oriented console and this is not a family-oriented game. This is a colossal failure on Nintendo’s part.
  16. Mar 20, 2020
    We need equal values and opportunities for all players on the island! My wife is the first player, which is great but I do not want to wait for her progress. At the same time, I do not want her to have a a second class player experience if I am the founder. Fix this Nintendo!!
  17. Mar 27, 2020
    Only one island per console. The only way to get another is to buy another console I don’t mind buying another copy of the game but another console is too much. I’m leaving such a negative score in the hopes nintendo has a change of heart.
  18. Mar 24, 2020
    As a secondary island member, it is hard to rate this game more than a 1. This is my first time playing an Animal Crossing game. My spouse played first, establishing himself as the island representative. I quickly realized that this meant I have no ability to make any decisions about the island. Thankfully my spouse asks for my input when placing houses, musuem, etc.. But then I realizedAs a secondary island member, it is hard to rate this game more than a 1. This is my first time playing an Animal Crossing game. My spouse played first, establishing himself as the island representative. I quickly realized that this meant I have no ability to make any decisions about the island. Thankfully my spouse asks for my input when placing houses, musuem, etc.. But then I realized he also gets access to diy recipes that I don't and that the island doesn't progress if he doesn't progress it. I can't contribute to the building off houses! We have no problems sharing resources. We have divided the island in half and have been sharing... But I feel like I'm getting a watered down version of the game. I don't think I should have to buy a whole other switch just so I cna have my own island! It seems ridiculous and unfair. I can't even imagine having a family with children who all want to play. How do you decide who gets to be the decision maker? I am sad because I love the game, but I feel disappointed that I don't get to experience it in full because I'm not the primary player. Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2020
    It's 2020 and for some reason Nintendo has decided that only one island is available per Switch console. Meaning my fiancé cannot progress the game beyond what I have done since I started my game first. She cannot place buildings down. She cannot obtain better tools until I've done it myself. Why is she hamstrung? She has to have a lesser experience because of it. This is an utter joke andIt's 2020 and for some reason Nintendo has decided that only one island is available per Switch console. Meaning my fiancé cannot progress the game beyond what I have done since I started my game first. She cannot place buildings down. She cannot obtain better tools until I've done it myself. Why is she hamstrung? She has to have a lesser experience because of it. This is an utter joke and I expect my money back. I'm being pushed into buying a new console just so she can have the full experience. I will NOT be buying a whole new console just for that. This is shameful. Expand
  20. Mar 24, 2020
    Having one island per console isn't even the worst part about this game. The fact that every other player - except the first person to boot up the game - cannot learn and perform more than 75% of the games functions is beyond UNACCEPTABLE. At this point Nintendo expects each switch console user to purchase their own switch with an additional animal crossing game if they want to play AC atHaving one island per console isn't even the worst part about this game. The fact that every other player - except the first person to boot up the game - cannot learn and perform more than 75% of the games functions is beyond UNACCEPTABLE. At this point Nintendo expects each switch console user to purchase their own switch with an additional animal crossing game if they want to play AC at the same register as the island "resident representative" LOL. This issue is clearly a money grabbing scheme and could easily be avoided by either 1) allowing everyone to be 'resident representative, or 2) Giving each player the OPTION to either join someone else's island on their switch OR create their own island. This function needs to be fixed as the game at this point is BROKEN, and is very disappointing for the following types of demographics: Couples who share a switch, siblings who share a switch, a parent and a child who want to play together, Roommates who all pitched in to buy a switch together.... you get my point. Hopefully it can be fixed because currently customers are very dissatisfied with the results. Expand
  21. Mar 20, 2020
    This is so annoying. Only one player has the ability to play this game because only one island. Nintendo doesn't deserve my money anymore.
  22. Mar 21, 2020
    The game is probably fine but you can't fully experience it if you are the second player on the same console. You are forced to live on the island of the player who first started the game. Even worse, you share resources. So player one collects all fruits, insects etc. and you stand there with nothing. This has to be the worst game design decision ever made. Until that is fixed I cannotThe game is probably fine but you can't fully experience it if you are the second player on the same console. You are forced to live on the island of the player who first started the game. Even worse, you share resources. So player one collects all fruits, insects etc. and you stand there with nothing. This has to be the worst game design decision ever made. Until that is fixed I cannot play and therefore not recommend the game. Shame on you Nintendo. Thats not family friendly at all. Expand
  23. Mar 20, 2020
    I purchased this game for my household (me and my GF) and she started playing the game first. There was no advertisement or clear indication of this but each switch console is limited to one Island and the first person on that Island has a much better gaming experience than anyone else. Anyone else that joins the island cannot build and building, set any mandates, and cannot progress inI purchased this game for my household (me and my GF) and she started playing the game first. There was no advertisement or clear indication of this but each switch console is limited to one Island and the first person on that Island has a much better gaming experience than anyone else. Anyone else that joins the island cannot build and building, set any mandates, and cannot progress in the story (e.g. getting tools) until the owner of the island does. There are also restrictions on what the second player can put in the musuem. There is no reason for there not to be a second game file for each profile on the switch and Ninentdo attempt to push people to buy seperate consoles for this game is extremely greedy. Gameplay is actually great but the severe limitations and no forewarning leads me to post this review to tell people not to buy this game if more than one person will play on the switch. Expand
  24. Mar 20, 2020
    they heavily marketed this game as a social experience. a game to share with your friends and family. but heres the catch, you will need 1 nintendo switch for each player to get the full experience. I bought the game to share it with my girlfriend but the first player is considered as the FOUNDER of the island, and he is the one that will progress the story, that will unlock stuff and dothey heavily marketed this game as a social experience. a game to share with your friends and family. but heres the catch, you will need 1 nintendo switch for each player to get the full experience. I bought the game to share it with my girlfriend but the first player is considered as the FOUNDER of the island, and he is the one that will progress the story, that will unlock stuff and do all the cool things. The second nintendo switch profile will act merely as a villager, with little to no impact on the game and not able to progress without the founders progress. Game ruined by greed, want to have the full experience? BUY 2 PHYSICAL COPIES AND 2 NINTENDO SWITCHES, yeah thats what nintendo requires of you to play a social game if you want to be social. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2020
    One island per console is a pretty terrible and greedy design choice by Nintendo. Whoever is first on the island gets the full game experience and everyone else is gimped and cannot progress or do the same things.
  26. Mar 20, 2020
    Only ONE island per console!

You can't create a different island per user/account. Once you have created an island on your console, all users have to share it. Good luck if you have two or more kids... Nintendo got away with forcing us to buy one game per user for years and years with Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and now they want us to buy one CONSOLE per user. They had the
    Only ONE island per console!

You can't create a different island per user/account.
    Once you have created an island on your console, all users have to share it.
    Good luck if you have two or more kids...

Nintendo got away with forcing us to buy one game per user for years and years with Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and now they want us to buy one CONSOLE per user. They had the "excuse" of lack of memory space with cartridges, but with the Switch, there is literally NO GOOD REASON to do that but CORPORATE GREED.

That kind of practice shouldn't be allowed.
    Seriously, shame on you Nintendo!
  27. Mar 20, 2020
    Why add local co op if you can only do one island and not have an option to split screen?
  28. Mar 20, 2020
    You can only have one island per Switch. If multiple people play on the same system, you’ll be tied to whoever started the first game’s island. Kinda kills any sort of independence.
  29. Mar 20, 2020
    Forcing there to only be 1 island per account completely ruins multiplayer for any family or residents that share a switch. The only way to enjoy this with your family is purchasing multiple switches, and that's completely ridiculous. There's no reason not to have the option of starting a new Island. Just shady business. The game is fun, unfortunately, not everyone who lives on the islandForcing there to only be 1 island per account completely ruins multiplayer for any family or residents that share a switch. The only way to enjoy this with your family is purchasing multiple switches, and that's completely ridiculous. There's no reason not to have the option of starting a new Island. Just shady business. The game is fun, unfortunately, not everyone who lives on the island will get to experience that. Expand
  30. Mar 24, 2020
    The game is awesome, but the limit of one island per console means that only one person in my family actually gets to enjoy the game in its entirety

Everyone else is limited in what they can do, and they all take a supporting role. Disappointed to be honest. The game would be perfect if each profile could choose between joining an existing island or creating their own. Unfortunately, this is the only way I can protest
  31. Mar 24, 2020
    Nintendo made this game so that only one person per console can get the full experience and it disappointing to say the least.
  32. Mar 20, 2020
    You can only create one island per switch and anyone else that joins the island literally cannot progress until the person who created it does. Greedy Nintendo at it again.
  33. Mar 21, 2020
    Perfect for one player. Coop sucks, but what KILLS the game is that you can essentially only have one player PER SWITCH. Your SO/sibling/kid will have to play on YOUR island on YOUR profile.

I cannot think of a single other home console game with this limitation. Not being able to share this with my family makes it a return.
  34. Mar 20, 2020
    If more than one person plays on a Switch, even with seperate profiles you are forced to share not only the island but all the resources as well. Anyone playing on a file after the first person to create a file is extremely limited as well. It is an absolute nightmare to play with more than one person.
  35. Mar 24, 2020
    Though advertised as multiplayer most in game actions are unnecessarily locked to the first person that starts the game. The poor design decisions include, but are not limited to:
    1) There is no mechanical reason for only one person to be allowed to craft certain items. This not only applies to larger projects such bridges, but also smaller diy recipes are only gifted to the first player. 2) You canot travel to other islands or invite friends to your island while playing co-op. (Not only online functions but the in game deserted islands too.)
    3) Rather than create a co-op inventory system they opted to be lazy and limit it to the leader only. Other items are teleported to a shared inventory.
    4) Another minor issue with co-op is the controls for swapping tools changes depending on whether you're the leader or not. This is obviously a minor gripe, but annoying none the less. & completely unnecessary.
    5) The most annoying thing about these issues is that they're the result of poor design choices and laziness.
  36. Mar 20, 2020
    Alright, so first things first the game itself is alright, HOWEVER, if you have more than one person in your household only the FOUNDER will be able to enjoy it as supposed to. Not only you can not have multiple islands (not even sure how to react on that in 2020), but also the first player gets all proper interactions, quests etc. If you share a console other players will be limited toAlright, so first things first the game itself is alright, HOWEVER, if you have more than one person in your household only the FOUNDER will be able to enjoy it as supposed to. Not only you can not have multiple islands (not even sure how to react on that in 2020), but also the first player gets all proper interactions, quests etc. If you share a console other players will be limited to the progress of player 1.

But what's worse is a local coop, the second player is basically a slave of the main one without inventory and even being able to proper pick-up stuff (so you have to jump around the main player for usual exchange). Not to mention the second player animation every time it picks sth up from the ground (like "hey I found this") especially annoying when you have those quests like collect 200 sth. Also, the second player is unable to do anything while the first one is in the inventory menu.

Also, small things like not being able to rotate the camera or change the location of the tent are annoying.

IDK to it seems like Nintendo tried to make ppl buy more consols or sth. Disappointed.
  37. Mar 21, 2020
    I like many people and across several platforms, share my switch with my partner. practically Locking the game to one user per console is absolutely disgusting. That's all ther is to say.
  38. Mar 22, 2020
    It totally sucks that you can only have one island per switch. My boyfriend tried to make an island of his own.....BUT NO. So now he get to sit beside and just watch me play.
    Do it again and do it right Nintendo.
  39. Mar 20, 2020
    One island per console ruined the game for me. After my girlfriend set up the island, I realized I'm basically a guest in her island for pretty much anything now. It's not even proper sharing - she's the owner and I'm her guest in the Island.

I'll just let her play the game on her own and I'll play something else instead.
  40. Mar 20, 2020
    A good game, for sure, but only 1 Island. With this limitation, to keep the interest longer, only my wife play.

Half the payer, half the rating. I Hope a change soon
  41. Mar 20, 2020
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the 5 members of my family that all share a switch have to only have one island. And on top of that the first person is the boss. You have really let me down Nintendo and hope you get this fixed. Also how is there no cloud save??? Welcome to 2020
  42. Mar 20, 2020
    Same-console multiplayer is severely limited. The game was designed so that only one person per family can actually get the full experience. Do NOT buy this game if you want to play with multiple people.
  43. Mar 20, 2020
    The game is broken bugged right out the get go. I started a game,progressed my Island, etc. Later in the day, my wife gets on the family console to play, and is totally confused. The game only allows one person to play it on a console, the other profiles can only get a severely stripped down version of your island. No way to have their own profile. Some fanboys claim this was on purpose,The game is broken bugged right out the get go. I started a game,progressed my Island, etc. Later in the day, my wife gets on the family console to play, and is totally confused. The game only allows one person to play it on a console, the other profiles can only get a severely stripped down version of your island. No way to have their own profile. Some fanboys claim this was on purpose, but I cant imagine Nintendo would make this big of a mistake on purpose. Once this huge bug gets fixed, I'm happy to reevaluate the score, but this is a solid 0/10 for blocking other players from playing beyond the first to start a game on the console. Expand
  44. Mar 25, 2020
    Unplayable for more than one child.
    Set up in such a way that it's pretty much unplayable outside of singleplayer. You have to buy a whole other switch and game if you want peace and quiet out of kids playing. Dirty practise from a company renowned for making family games.
    Unplayable for more than one child.
    Outside of the cash gouging, very little of the game mechanics is explained, especially if you're the second person to jump in and try to play.
    Items are trapped behinds arbitrary walls put in place by Tom nook, in single player, that's frustrating, the resources needed for multiple people to achieve this kinda makes it somewhat miserable to play.
    Sure, it's cute, sure the music is nice, but you can get all of that from the old games

I think the scores of ten are coming from people treating this as a sacred cow...
  45. Mar 24, 2020
    Forced to play on same island as roommate who logs on first everyday.....I get minimal resources, and they get to decide every house and building location. WASTE OF MONEY.
  46. Mar 21, 2020
    i'll update my review as I play. but mannnn this game is boring.
    2 hours into the game and I got a house... that's all I feel like I accomplished. Games are supposed to bring some short of enjoyment, whether it be story, graphics or gameplay... This has none of that so far.... Just kill me now please.......
  47. Mar 20, 2020
    my girls were so excited to get this game. I read nothing about because it doesn't interest me. Once they started playing it they realised that there was only one island per switch, and my god, do they hate that!!! My girls are years apart and what appeals to one doesnt appeal to the other.

This limitation feels arbitrary and ill thought out.

I hope a patch fixes this
  48. Mar 20, 2020
    It's immensely disappointing to purchase the game and learn that there is very little value for a family. Whereas I can share my other games with my children, the fact that only one of us can make true progress in the game is a letdown and just another example of Nintendo being completely tone deaf and out of touch.

Beyond this, though, the fact that few reviewers discuss this fact is

Beyond this, though, the fact that few reviewers discuss this fact is abhorrent. The game simply does not deserve the praise it is receiving from the media in the face of such a glaring misstep, highlighting their own massive blind spots.

At this point, while an okay but slow game, in the face of its price and the limitations its value drops far below far more mediocre games that are at least enjoyable more broadly.
  49. May 9, 2021
    Alright game I guess, but it’s very lacking. I can’t give it a good rating due to the lack of content we get in updates. We got Rover on a cliff now. Rover used to be more memorable in the OG (Original GCN) game than a May Day Event. I am disappointed in this game. I didn’t give it a 0, because the storyline was good and should have continued. They could’ve made New Horizons a side-storyAlright game I guess, but it’s very lacking. I can’t give it a good rating due to the lack of content we get in updates. We got Rover on a cliff now. Rover used to be more memorable in the OG (Original GCN) game than a May Day Event. I am disappointed in this game. I didn’t give it a 0, because the storyline was good and should have continued. They could’ve made New Horizons a side-story game if it weren’t for three things. The NookPhone (and the whole “modernization” thing) and the sequel references, (because it would take place before them) and the most important thing: MORE STORYLINE! I know Animal Crossing isn’t supposed to be a story mode game, but New Horizons feels like it’s supposed to be that way. Expand
  50. May 8, 2021
    The game is horrible. Plain horrible. First of all, it included no manual! How am I supposed to figure out what to do without a manual? Overall, music is boring and repetitive. Only one song! Dialogue can be repetitive. Only two villagers! Uncalled for Crafting and DIY and Phone! I gave it a try, it had a 90 Metascore, and most of the user reviews complained by more than one island, whichThe game is horrible. Plain horrible. First of all, it included no manual! How am I supposed to figure out what to do without a manual? Overall, music is boring and repetitive. Only one song! Dialogue can be repetitive. Only two villagers! Uncalled for Crafting and DIY and Phone! I gave it a try, it had a 90 Metascore, and most of the user reviews complained by more than one island, which is stupid, but I didn’t care. Wrong! IT WAS RIGGED! The day after I ranted the max out of this game, I saw a review with a critic score of 5/10! The lowest here was a 7/10! Metacritic is rigged, and I do not trust them! DO NOT TRUST THEM! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! I haven’t played previous AC games, I may give New Leaf or the GameCube one a try sometime in the future. They look, at least visually and gameplay-wise, a lot better. They seemed to have more content. After looking at recent reviews, I decided to do the same and refund my game. I suggest you do too! I don’t know about previous games, but I’ll give it a shot. A lot of people are suggesting it, so what the heck. Why not. They are considered superior versions, so be it. I’ll give them a wild shot. But for this game? 0/10. I can’t give it any higher. I suggest you do the same. Expand
  51. May 8, 2021
    Just because it’s new, doesn’t mean it’s good. I believe I have said enough.
  52. May 10, 2021
    I'm just not getting all of the hype with this game. I'm REALLY disappointed with this game. I expected to find some type of cool island with buildings and structures, as shown in commercials, but there's nothing there. It's misleading. I was told to play previous games. So, you what I did? I replaced the game. I said I wanted the 3DS version instead. They gave me the 3DS version and $30I'm just not getting all of the hype with this game. I'm REALLY disappointed with this game. I expected to find some type of cool island with buildings and structures, as shown in commercials, but there's nothing there. It's misleading. I was told to play previous games. So, you what I did? I replaced the game. I said I wanted the 3DS version instead. They gave me the 3DS version and $30 credit. (since it cost only $30) I had a New Nintendo 2DS XL for games like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3DS (The 3D one, I have the 2D one, too), Miitopia, and Tomodachi Life. I like the Tomodachi Life game, and it was similar, so what the heck, I gave Animal Crossing 3DS a try. I do not regret it, and find it to be the BEST decision I ever made. They had BUILDINGS! It had LIFE! I enjoyed 3DS, 10 TIMES BETTER, in the FIRST DAY, than Animal Crossing Switch ever did, in THREE DAYS! I may do a review on Animal Crossing 3DS in the future, but it's too early to decide yet. Heck, many critics reviewed the game too early! Why count any of the critics before the release date? I would give Animal Crossing Switch a 1, but I can't. I did not have any fun, except for the airport thing, which the train thing was a huge improvement over the Switch version, so I can't even give it a 1. I will give it a 4/100 (0.4/10), because it was playable, at the beginning. Expand
  53. May 10, 2021
    New Horizons is disappointing, and lacks the content we were promised to get. It deserves nothing more than a 0/10.
  54. May 10, 2021
    The most abysmal game of the Nintendo Switch, if not, all of Nintendo's game consoles... ever. Abysmal is just one of the thousand words I have to say of this game. It is subpar, it sucks, it is unbelievable. I believe it's the worst game ever created in the history of mankind. This may sound extremely harsh, but to me, it is just 1% of what I feel about this game. This game is remotelyThe most abysmal game of the Nintendo Switch, if not, all of Nintendo's game consoles... ever. Abysmal is just one of the thousand words I have to say of this game. It is subpar, it sucks, it is unbelievable. I believe it's the worst game ever created in the history of mankind. This may sound extremely harsh, but to me, it is just 1% of what I feel about this game. This game is remotely awful. Plastic graphics that look more flat than a line, repetitive guitar music that sounds like it came from a cheap royalty-free music selection, repeating villager dialogue that just feels like they are on loop, and it never ends. I can't believe how atrocious this horrible game is. I cannot even express my anger to this insane game. If I were to continue, I'd start a whole rant here, so I'm just going to stop here. 0/100. Not even a single decimal I can give it. It is dreadful, and I cannot take the anger any longer. In my book, this game is unspeakable. Horrendous. Again, I'm just going to stop here. I cannot talk about this game any further. Expand
  55. May 12, 2021
    Too boring. Too repetitive. Lacking in content. Updates aren't helping at all.
  56. Jun 5, 2021
    I've had enough of New Horizons. A tiring boring game that so happens to be the result of milking a series. It's a lie. In fact, if anything, this game is a borefest. A very boring game... I hate it so much... but this is only the beginning... I would go on, but I have better things to do than rant on a trash game like this one.
  57. Jun 30, 2021
    I hate this game strongly, and I suggest people back away from this disgusting game.
  58. May 3, 2021
    Bought this game to relax and feel free.
    Bad choice. All the game you are in debt and tom nook take all the credit for the work you do.
    VERY basic and repetitive.
    The character will tell their intro lines EVERYTIME you talk to them. Grindy AF
  59. Dec 8, 2020
    This is the worst game in the series. First off after the start there is just nothing to do. Talking to villagers and becoming friends which is the whole point of animal crossing is horrible in the old games i felt like i made friends now if feels like i have a bunch of stuffed animal that say the same ten sentences when you press the leg. it could be a great game but it doesn't feel likeThis is the worst game in the series. First off after the start there is just nothing to do. Talking to villagers and becoming friends which is the whole point of animal crossing is horrible in the old games i felt like i made friends now if feels like i have a bunch of stuffed animal that say the same ten sentences when you press the leg. it could be a great game but it doesn't feel like animal crossing anymore. Expand
  60. Apr 24, 2021
    I'm so torn on this game. It's fun for a while, but you can't stop playing or you're punished. The menus are so long and tedious. Only the first player can do certain stuff on your island. You can only have one island. The game has missing content from New Leaf that is slowly added back.

I was going to give this a 5 at first, but I'm just now realizing how much this game hates it's players. 4 it is.
  61. Jul 1, 2021
    It's not a 0, by any means, but overall, WHAT KIND OF PLACE IS THIS! It makes you wanna get out, out of this trap of a game. It's not good. It has ruined last year, and this year. When we found out a New Animal Crossing game was coming out, we were excited. We each had humble hopes. Ever since that 2019 announcement, I was dreaming of an amazing town to play in. But, when the trailer forIt's not a 0, by any means, but overall, WHAT KIND OF PLACE IS THIS! It makes you wanna get out, out of this trap of a game. It's not good. It has ruined last year, and this year. When we found out a New Animal Crossing game was coming out, we were excited. We each had humble hopes. Ever since that 2019 announcement, I was dreaming of an amazing town to play in. But, when the trailer for New Horizons came out, our hopes were not as high. We were debating whether to get the game. We all agreed that we didn't like the whole NookPhone thing, but we still had hopes. We were excited March, but slowly but surely, it became worse. When April came along, so did Bunny Day. UGH! That was STUPID and didn't make me want to play the game! I started getting bored around mid-April, slowly but surely decreasing my rating. May was alright, and then we realized how repetitive it was. My friend didn't appreciate the game as we wanted it to be. As the months went by, everyone, including me started to not like the game. It became a bad game. It became so repetitive, we couldn't even play a minute. It's a waste now. Some new features are alright, but I can't give this any more than a 3/10. It's not a 0, we kind of enjoyed the game at first. Even the updates couldn't save the game... The updates are horrible and repetitive. They don't fix the game, and never will. No matter how many updates they release, it will never fix the game. As a long time Animal Crossing fan, I am disappointed. Many long-time Animal Crossing fans are disappointed in this game. Even people who don't play Animal Crossing will eventually find New Horizons repetitive. Whatever the case, I suggest people do not get the game. You may find it alright for a few hours, but after that, prepare to be disappointed. If you want to be introduced to Animal Crossing, we suggest an older game, but not the spin-offs. I think this should represent the issues that people think of this game. Oh, and the hourly music. Oh my... it's bland. It does not represent Animal Crossing music, and feels extremely bland, especially in the first month. It makes you want to turn off the music entirely. That's another issue I forgot to mention. The music! I remember playing, and the music... is boring. Now I think that's everything to include in my opinions, along with my friends opinions. It's a disappointment. Expand
  62. Aug 12, 2020
    Here is a breakdown for you:

- Previous features and characters have been removed. - Islands feel small and crammed. - Content is limited and drip-fed. - Crafting and customizing are tedious chores. - Tools break way too easily, and having to craft twice to build one tool is a pain in the a***. - Travelling becomes pointless after a couple of trips. - Terraforming gets old quick.
    Here is a breakdown for you:

- Previous features and characters have been removed.
    - Islands feel small and crammed.
    - Content is limited and drip-fed.
    - Crafting and customizing are tedious chores.
    - Travelling becomes pointless after a couple of trips.
    - Terraforming gets old quick.
    - UI is irritating and everything takes too many button presses. Menu and dialog mechanics from the 1990s are not fun in 2020, Nintendo.
    - Background music is repetitive.
    - Interacting with villagers is repetitive.
    - Local multiplayer is practically a scam.
    - Online multiplayer is basically a middle finger to people with no friends that play the game. Matchmaking? Why bother developing such a feature when you can send people to Facebook to watch some ads.

Sure, graphics look great and the first few hours of gameplay are entertaining but if you scratch past the surface it is not a very good game.
  63. Jul 18, 2020
    Why is it still an island on one device? The second player has nothing to do.
  64. Feb 5, 2022
    game started off so well, exactly as it was advertised. you arrive at a deserted island and help build a small settlement, but after about a week or two, suddenly the entire focus changes to decorating the island.

this game apparently is branded as "life sim", but it feels purely like an island decorating tool after you are done with the tutorial phase. it had so much potential to add more life-sim elements through updates, but the developers couldn't be bothered to support it, even though the game is one of the best selling titles on switch.
  65. Jun 27, 2020
    Boring. Grind for grind. Parasitic mechanics like it's a free to play cheap mobile game. And, for sure, the greediest idea in a history -- one player per console.
    Doesn't worth buying. Professional "critics" should be stopped reading and considering, they have proven it many times
  66. Jun 13, 2020
    At its most basic, it succeeds as an AC game. If you’re looking for something new in the AC franchise this will entertain you without issue if you play sporadically. Spend a good amount of time with it and you will see how careless and thoughtless some of the design decisions are. Crafting seems to have been added as an afterthought because it polled well with focus groups. Building yourAt its most basic, it succeeds as an AC game. If you’re looking for something new in the AC franchise this will entertain you without issue if you play sporadically. Spend a good amount of time with it and you will see how careless and thoughtless some of the design decisions are. Crafting seems to have been added as an afterthought because it polled well with focus groups. Building your own tools fits the theme of beginning life again on a new island, but after it loses its novelty, its just a VERY basic durability system that doesn’t show any gradual degradation. Your perfect-looking net or axe just vanishes with a poof after enough uses. It tries to encourage a loop of gathering and crafting, but crafting more than one or two things at a time is so tedious I’d often find myself pulling up a different screen to look at. I’m not saying the system doesn’t belong in the game, but the combination of ‘only random’ (still multiple duplicates or recipes from the recipe kits available at the very start of the game) recipe acquisition, clunky crafting UI, and literally no form of progression makes me wonder how much more robust this kind of system could be in 2020.

The biggest killer for me was the villager system. If someone moves out you get a vacant lot in their place. It will randomly fill after some random number of days. This feels like someone else making villager choices for you while you accidentally left your switch unattended. I think this is so you will feel pressured into buying Amiibos to help replace villagers you did not invite to your island. Having them move out on their own can take WEEKS (This system is what made me want to leave this review).

Many of the systems in place to add a sense of a dynamic town begin to feel punishing. Random vendors/NPC visit the island but are limited to one visit per week. Take a day off from playing when the ones making collectibles of the things you caught happen to be visiting? Better luck next week! There are a lot of QoL issues that become infuriating after you spend enough time with the game. So many buttons go unused in menus and elsewhere. Buying items requires you to get them one or five at a time, clicking through multiple screens of unskippable text each time for the privilege. It just seems like they ran out of time making all the items and focusing on visual appeal (It’s great!) and had to sacrifice having a deep look at the big flaws in this iteration. This game will be worth buying when it’s been out for a few major overhauls. They’ll focus on seasonal events and patching out exploits in between DLC releases. My prediction is they will never make any attempt at addressing the ‘minor’ issues outlined here because they don’t break the game, they just make it more frustrating to play.
  67. Jun 14, 2020
    Just picked the game up for me and my wife to play and should have done more research. One island really??? So very disappointed in this and has left a bad taste making us not to really want to continue playing. The game seems fun so far but what's the point if we both can't have our own individual experience while playing together.
  68. Jul 12, 2020
    1 island per switch, if u are the second player this game sucks just because you dont have the same game
  69. Jul 13, 2020
    A game that perfectly encompasses everything wrong with Nintendo nowadays: new gimmicks that are barely capitalised on, less content than the previous titles, awful online gameplay, and no lack or charm. It's not just bad as an Animal Crossing game, it's bad as a game full stop. Never have I gotten bored of an Animal Crossing game within such a short amount of time, but once again NintendoA game that perfectly encompasses everything wrong with Nintendo nowadays: new gimmicks that are barely capitalised on, less content than the previous titles, awful online gameplay, and no lack or charm. It's not just bad as an Animal Crossing game, it's bad as a game full stop. Never have I gotten bored of an Animal Crossing game within such a short amount of time, but once again Nintendo fails to innovate and gets away with it because it's Nintendo and they can do no wrong. This game is not good. Do not waste 60$ on what is an early access at best. Expand
  70. Jul 17, 2020
    I really don't like this game, it takes too much time to play(farming).
    Only the first few hours were fun. :(
  71. Jul 18, 2020
    I truly wish I could say I enjoyed this game. I played it as the first person on the console so I was able to get the full experience. I sunk 50 hours into it, but I’m sad to say I disliked almost all of that time.

It’s an easy game to get lost in, I’ll give it that, but after the first few tasks of the game when you are finally given free roam, it’s boring. Absolutely nothing compared to the refreshing experience that was New Leaf.

It may appeal to some, but personally, filling an island with objects that are unusable to achieve a 5 star rating is not what I expected from an Animal Crossing game. Dialogue with the characters on your island is short and lifeless. It’s tedious to get actual tasks out of them. Terraforming seems fun to begin with, but soon becomes a chore when trying to create the ‘perfect’ island. Furniture cannot be interacted with, so once something is placed, that’s the end of the fun. Filling the museum is enjoyable, but that’s the most action the game has. You’re basically turning your island into a museum anyway.

Travelling to randomly generated islands feels repetitive, and the only redeeming quality of them is finding a rare bug or a cute villager. I expected something amazing compared to New Leaf (which is my favourite Animal Crossing game), but New Horizons fell short.

It’s truly only worth the money if world-building appeals to you. It’s a relaxing experience, but I expected more actual gameplay. I’m disappointed to say the least. It’s as lifeless as Amiibo Festival.
  72. Jul 19, 2020
    I cannot fully enjoy the game as I am a secondary account. how is it possible that Nintendo allows this?
  73. Jul 30, 2020
    The dialog takes to long, and it's for 60€ NOT the content that I expect. And wenn you want your favorite Villager yeah than buy some Animal Crossing Cards.
  74. Jul 30, 2020
    One island per console is terrible when sharing with a whole family. Each person that signs in *should* be able to shake furniture out of trees and dig up their fossils each day even if all on the same island, but it’s not built like this. Does Nintendo update the game to allow this? No, no... they waste money and coding time on updating “Dream” visits to islands where you can’t actuallyOne island per console is terrible when sharing with a whole family. Each person that signs in *should* be able to shake furniture out of trees and dig up their fossils each day even if all on the same island, but it’s not built like this. Does Nintendo update the game to allow this? No, no... they waste money and coding time on updating “Dream” visits to islands where you can’t actually do anything nor bring anything back. And you have to have a code to go to one to do nothing.
    Wow. Thanks Nintendo. That’s... great?
  75. Aug 1, 2020
    Only one Island makes this game extremely awful for playing with several kids. Avoid it completely in case there are more than one person to play. My youngest daughter started with an island and the older is suffering since then. I have seriously thought to uninstall the game
  76. Aug 4, 2020
    It’s so idiotic that you can only have one island per console. We can only afford one console for our family and many people would like to enjoy the game to the fullest.
  77. E-K
    Aug 8, 2020
    Thank you for the drama and deception with my kids, nintendo. One island per console? What kind of stupid decision is that? This is ridiculous!
  78. Aug 9, 2020
    Bought this game for the promising coop experience for me and my GF. Turns out the first registered player in the game is only able go do progress on the ‘’main storyline’’. GF lost interest in the game as the main player, and I did not... So im stuck playing 2 profiles. How about a detailed warning about this before starting making the profiles?????
    And the coop experice is a joke only 1
    And the coop experice is a joke only 1 player can really do anything, other players are limited to using tools and thats it, gets boring so fast....
    I do not understand why is a good idea? Not even an option to make someone admin. No fun allowed. If you like solo play this game is for you, but find something els if you enjoy coop. The bad rating is due to the game being a huge letdown for me, would never spend this money if I knew those things.
  79. Aug 10, 2020
    My boyfriend was super excited for this game, and visiting each other's island. Today we got majorly disappointed...
    Only 1 island available per system. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY TOGETHER. Not only can't you make an island of your own, but all the decisions on the island are made by, essentially, player 1. If Nintendo fixes this sh*'t, I'll reconsider, but otherwise it's a 2 out of 10 for us.
  80. Mar 26, 2021
    This game and what is behind it is honestly appalling. Of course there's the one-island-per-console thing, which is terrible, but the game itself is just not what the Animal Crossing series is supposed to represent. The villagers have been completely sidelined and now do nothing to contribute to the game, repeating the same happy-go-lucky lines over and over. What happened to the sass? TheThis game and what is behind it is honestly appalling. Of course there's the one-island-per-console thing, which is terrible, but the game itself is just not what the Animal Crossing series is supposed to represent. The villagers have been completely sidelined and now do nothing to contribute to the game, repeating the same happy-go-lucky lines over and over. What happened to the sass? The gossip? And what happened to being part of a community? Now the main focus is showing off your island, but the game can't even do that right because of the horrible quality of life, such as the aforementioned island limitation as well as every minute task taking forever to do. Post-launch support has been revolting, and a year later this game still lacks most of the content of the previous titles. The developers refuse to listen to any gripes players may have, and do the bare minimum to constitute the game being $60, because they don't have to care because of how well this game sold. If you like the Animal Crossing series please DO NOT CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS GAME. Expand
  81. Apr 26, 2021
    The customization is aight, but Nintendo needs to be held accountable for **** practices in this game. Less content than New Leaf, one island per Switch, and everything is so bland and dull after playing for a little bit
  82. Jun 15, 2021
    The game has good graphics....that's all you can say about this "game". If you can call it "game"....
    The Villagers don't have any personality, The dialogues are repetitive, The Events are really boring and the Updates are empty and just not good. I have over 1000 hours in the game but only because i started a new Island everytime it got boring. We NEED gameplay new dialogues, more personality!!! NO New objects
  83. Jun 16, 2021
    if i was writing this review a year ago this game would’ve been at a 9 or even 10 as i and a bunch of other fans were promised updates to the game that would add new features however a year later this game feels less like a 60$ game and more like an e3 demo, we’ve only gotten a handful of updates most of which were watered down features that were already in the base game of previousif i was writing this review a year ago this game would’ve been at a 9 or even 10 as i and a bunch of other fans were promised updates to the game that would add new features however a year later this game feels less like a 60$ game and more like an e3 demo, we’ve only gotten a handful of updates most of which were watered down features that were already in the base game of previous entries, lackluster “events” or random (tiny) furniture that no one has asked for we haven’t received a proper quality of life update or any major updates that added new or even old features except 2 both of which were last year meanwhile animal crossing pocket camp (a free mobile game) receives updates way more frequently and almost each one includes exciting furniture sets, this game is an absolute let down from the high that was new leaf and it’s sad to see such a great series produce such a boring experience Expand
  84. Jul 19, 2021
    Why is there crafting in an Animal Crossing game? This isn't Minecraft! DO NOT RIP-OFF MINECRAFT NINTENDO! Stupid companies these days, greedier than EA. This game is worse than any game in history, and it should be a shame to Nintendo. I don't care about it's 90 Metacritic Score! That's fake! They only picked the good reviews and probably got paid by Nintendo to choose only the game one,Why is there crafting in an Animal Crossing game? This isn't Minecraft! DO NOT RIP-OFF MINECRAFT NINTENDO! Stupid companies these days, greedier than EA. This game is worse than any game in history, and it should be a shame to Nintendo. I don't care about it's 90 Metacritic Score! That's fake! They only picked the good reviews and probably got paid by Nintendo to choose only the game one, and one mixed review. THAT IS NOT REALISTIC! Most games get several mixed reviews, and sometimes negative reviews. METACRITIC, DO YOUR RESEARCH! This game will forever be a 0/10. Expand
  85. Jul 22, 2021
    Why is there crafting in an Animal Crossing game? This isn't a Minecraft-style game! STOP STEALING FROM MINECRAFT NINTENDO! There are corporations now that are even more selfish than EA, including you Nintendo. This is the worst game ever made, and Nintendo should be embarrassed of themselves. It makes no difference to me whether it gets a Metacritic score of 90! That's a lie! NintendoWhy is there crafting in an Animal Crossing game? This isn't a Minecraft-style game! STOP STEALING FROM MINECRAFT NINTENDO! There are corporations now that are even more selfish than EA, including you Nintendo. This is the worst game ever made, and Nintendo should be embarrassed of themselves. It makes no difference to me whether it gets a Metacritic score of 90! That's a lie! Nintendo most likely paid them to choose only the positive reviews and one mixed review for the game. THAT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING REASONABLE! Customers complain about most games in a variety of ways, and the way Metacritic does that is unrealistic and does not make sense. Metacritic, please do your research! This game will always, and forever be a 0/10. Expand
  86. Apr 29, 2021
    Animal Crossing in name and villagers only. This game is missing so much and is so incomplete. They sold it under the promise that there would be meaningful updates which they have failed to deliver on. The only content updates were parts of the game that were not quite complete when the game released such as diving or the museum/ artwork, but it was obvious they were supposed to be inAnimal Crossing in name and villagers only. This game is missing so much and is so incomplete. They sold it under the promise that there would be meaningful updates which they have failed to deliver on. The only content updates were parts of the game that were not quite complete when the game released such as diving or the museum/ artwork, but it was obvious they were supposed to be in the game as people could glitch into the water to swim and the spot for Redd to show up was already there. What the hell did they do with the extra six months they took after the first release date before actually releasing? Meanwhile they add a few clothing/ furniture items every month and boldly call it a "free update". Where's the coffee shop, shampoodle, fortune teller, GYROIDS FFS, store upgrades, shoe shop, gracies, mini games, etc etc etc. If it wasn't severely time gated then the main story would have been done in a day if that. What a rip off and blatant lie to their promise. The only reason I gave it a 2 was I did enjoy what little of the game there was. New Leaf was 10x the game. Pretty typical of Nintendo and their over-glorified mobile tablet now. Expand
  87. May 12, 2020
    This game is fun if you don’t want to play with anyone else. If you have more than one person who wants to play it’s a nightmare. If you choose to buy this game get a physical copy, if it drives you crazy there are no refunds from Nintendo eshop. I’m so disappointed. I really liked it until I realized its really only meant for one person to have the full experience. Oh, and the multiplayerThis game is fun if you don’t want to play with anyone else. If you have more than one person who wants to play it’s a nightmare. If you choose to buy this game get a physical copy, if it drives you crazy there are no refunds from Nintendo eshop. I’m so disappointed. I really liked it until I realized its really only meant for one person to have the full experience. Oh, and the multiplayer is horrendous. Only the ‘leader’ is able to do anything meaningful while the other players mostly just run around with them. The non leader cannot even pick up items. Expand
  88. May 13, 2020
    Worst game ever! One Island per switch! Network doesn't work - loading every where, it's not playable!
  89. May 1, 2021
    Let me first start off saying I'm a huge AC fan. With that being said, wtf happen nintendo? It's been past a year now and their updates are pure garbage in comparison to what New Leaf provided. The characters don't have any life to them, if you have more than one personality type prepare to read the same dialogue again and again. This is unavoidable dude to you being allowed 10 villagersLet me first start off saying I'm a huge AC fan. With that being said, wtf happen nintendo? It's been past a year now and their updates are pure garbage in comparison to what New Leaf provided. The characters don't have any life to them, if you have more than one personality type prepare to read the same dialogue again and again. This is unavoidable dude to you being allowed 10 villagers max and there being only 8 personality types in the game. I'm really frustrated and confused as to why I'm paying for Nintendo online membership to utilize the games island backup service but if I ever wanna restore my island save I need to contact Nintendo support and have them hold my hand though the process. Long story short get the game play for a year or buy new leaf and have fun. Expand
  90. Jul 1, 2021
    This shouldn’t be called New Horizons since there’s nothing good in this game. I don’t believe it. What is this garbage? It’s a time-waster, in a bad way. You get bored quickly. There’s only three songs in this game. THREE SONGS! The title theme, the outside theme, and the shopping tent theme. WHAT IS THIS? You get two villagers and they don’t help you with progress. I quit this game. IThis shouldn’t be called New Horizons since there’s nothing good in this game. I don’t believe it. What is this garbage? It’s a time-waster, in a bad way. You get bored quickly. There’s only three songs in this game. THREE SONGS! The title theme, the outside theme, and the shopping tent theme. WHAT IS THIS? You get two villagers and they don’t help you with progress. I quit this game. I wanted to throw my controller into the TV and destroy the island! Luckily I got a refund, but it was a hassle! Expand
  91. Apr 2, 2020
    Why WHY WHYYYY Nintendo!? These are some of the worse design choices for coop I've ever seen. Lets start with local coop issues, ONE shared island for every account on the Switch, No shared progress (Everything is done for player 1 only....recipes, island progression everything) PAINFULLY long collecting animation for local players collecting ANYTHING, NO INVENTORY for player 2 (everyWhy WHY WHYYYY Nintendo!? These are some of the worse design choices for coop I've ever seen. Lets start with local coop issues, ONE shared island for every account on the Switch, No shared progress (Everything is done for player 1 only....recipes, island progression everything) PAINFULLY long collecting animation for local players collecting ANYTHING, NO INVENTORY for player 2 (every single item collected by player 2 goes to recycling bin), No ability to design anything for player 2. Just an absolute joke. Ok...lets say your a sucker like me and went out and bought your gf an ENTIRE 2nd NINTENDO SWITCH JUST TO ENJOY THE GAME. I can't say the online coop is any better. Wanna trade things into Blathers when you have a coop player? CAN'T Wanna visit another island with your friends? CAN'T DO IT! Outdoor customization with your guest? Nah can't do it. This isn't a review bombing. This is a legitimate cry for nintendo to get with the f***ing times. Its 2020 and the only way for me to invite my gf to a game is to setup a four digit code and give her the code. WHY CAN'T I JUST SEND HER A GAME INVITE LIKE EVERY OTHER CONSOLE NINTENDO!? Stop your stupid close minded game development and make something with full features considering your games are always locked at 60 bucks for years for garbage feature incomplete games like this REGULARLY. No one wants to talk about how the 4 "dungeons" in Breath of The Wild are basically the same "manipulate this things position to solve problems". This company is a shell of its formal self, where they leverage their brand recognition and colorful beutiful art design to shove garbage software down our throats desperate to play something as magical as the games we grew up on. DON'T support them anymore unless they get with the times. Expand
  92. Apr 2, 2020
    I've never really been into games, but the last days I've spent most of my time enjoying animal crossing. My boyfriend wanted to introduce me to games and offered to buy this one on his switch. He set up the island, and i became 2nd resident. It was really disappointing when I realised that the reason I didn't make any progress was because my boyfriend was the island residentI've never really been into games, but the last days I've spent most of my time enjoying animal crossing. My boyfriend wanted to introduce me to games and offered to buy this one on his switch. He set up the island, and i became 2nd resident. It was really disappointing when I realised that the reason I didn't make any progress was because my boyfriend was the island resident representative. Super greedy of Nintendo to expect people to buy not only another copy of the game, but also a new switch, to fully enjoy the game. All my joy for this game has been sucked out because of this experience. Expand
  93. Apr 2, 2020
    I started a new account just to rate this. I bought this for my kids to play on thier switch but apparently having a separate profiles isnt enough. They each have to have thier own switch Nintendo has gone the way of ripping people and I won't be buying anything else from them
  94. Apr 2, 2020
    This game is NOT a family game, because Nintendo CHOOSE to limit to 1 island by Switch !
    So, if you don't have 1 Switch and 1 game for each people in your house that want to play ACNH : YOU CAN'T !!! Because, ONLY the first player that run the game could make the island progression ! The other players are just there to help collecting resources, as if they were servants...
    The angry point
    The angry point is that Nintendo says u can play with 3 players in local multiplayer but it's FAKE ! It's not really a multiplayer game !
    You can't even have splitter screen, so you must stay near the LEADER player.
    I'm very disappointed, I couldn't afford, and I don't want to, buy 3 more Switch and 3 more games to play with my Wife and my daughters !
  95. Apr 3, 2020
    The game advertises multiplayer with a catch, the first player to play the game is the only player who can progress in the game. Every other player (your kids you bought the game for), are stuck. This is true even if you buy more copies of the game. This in itself doesn’t merit the negative review. The worst offense is the company’s response to thousands of fans. I’m not going to buy gamesThe game advertises multiplayer with a catch, the first player to play the game is the only player who can progress in the game. Every other player (your kids you bought the game for), are stuck. This is true even if you buy more copies of the game. This in itself doesn’t merit the negative review. The worst offense is the company’s response to thousands of fans. I’m not going to buy games from a company who can fix a problem but tells everyone to eat it by refusing to address the matter at all. Expand
  96. Apr 3, 2020
    I hate how you can only have 1 island per switch. I got it for my birthday and player about 3 days, when my little brother wanted to play it he could only play on my island andand could not build anything. You dissapointed a 9-year old child, Nintendo.
  97. Apr 4, 2020
    Am I really supposed to spend 300€ more to buy another Switch and another game to not mess my girlfriend island or simply have my own? The game that's supposed to calm me has me so pissed I made an account here just to give it a bad review.
  98. Apr 6, 2020
    I’ve literally never been so disappointed in a while. The first and probably most obvious problem that a lot of other people are talking about is the 1st player priority and 1 town per switch. Put it simply, AC is a terrible shared console game (I can say that for literally most of the AC games). Not much of an issue for the last game because it was on the 3ds and people usually got theirI’ve literally never been so disappointed in a while. The first and probably most obvious problem that a lot of other people are talking about is the 1st player priority and 1 town per switch. Put it simply, AC is a terrible shared console game (I can say that for literally most of the AC games). Not much of an issue for the last game because it was on the 3ds and people usually got their own 3ds (and even then, I’d argue it was still a better shared console game). It’s even worse in NH because it treats the 1st player special and all the other players are just useless (they can still destroy **** so gl sharing with someone younger). No backup save, no transfer, no alternative way of getting a different town other than giving Nintendo more of your money during a time like this where we’d all rather save it. Of course there are more reasons to hate this game that has nothing to do with the multiplayer based reasons. Remember ordinances? Gone. Swimming? Gone. Coffee shop? Gone. Completely different areas with unique themes that were really useful? Kinda but not as good as before. Perfect fruits? Gone. Reliable tools? Gone. ‘But tools breaking tools adds challenge!’ Challenge as in being obnoxious? Remember this mechanic in BotW? It worked there because 1. I don’t have to go through the same obnoxious crafting cutscene to make one again and 2. The breaking tools actually encouraged conservation and different strategies to fighting, meanwhile in this game, it’s just a strain on your already limited resources that you get once per day (the survival/resource-scavenging thing doesn’t fit AC at all). When you break your fishing rod, there’s no alternative choice than to build another one. Also **** eggs. Expand
  99. Apr 5, 2020
    Why cant we batch craft? Why can't crafting pull from resources in storage? How come Mable can place clothing I bought into storage for me when /I/ don't even have that ability? Why can't we select multiple items to buy from the Tailor- instead having to purchase one at a time to leave and re-enter to buy the other colour options of a shirt I want? Why can't I select multiple items in myWhy cant we batch craft? Why can't crafting pull from resources in storage? How come Mable can place clothing I bought into storage for me when /I/ don't even have that ability? Why can't we select multiple items to buy from the Tailor- instead having to purchase one at a time to leave and re-enter to buy the other colour options of a shirt I want? Why can't I select multiple items in my inventory and choose to send them all to storage? Why can I access Nook Phone while sitting but not my inventory? Why can't we sit on the ground next to villagers? Why aren't we allowed to meet villagers on mystery islands when we have full residence on Island? Why can't we choose to buy multiple of items through the terminal (It's a pain to buy a Nook Miles Ticket, wait for it to print out, choose to purchase more ONE AT A TIME.)

Why can't we move buildings over by just a tile or two?( I've had to move a house/store somewhere else completely to then move it back to it's original location, just 2 spaces to the left). Why is there NOTHING to do with friends in this game? Where are the island minigames like in New Leaf?

Why can't we ride the carnival rocking horsies like we've seen in footage leading up to the release? Why does Nook's Cranny take SO long to upgrade? (You would think a store upgrade would come before you even get the chance to have an entirely new Tailor shop take root in your island.) Why does the upgrade only include ONE extra furniture slot? Remember all the Nook store upgrades in New Leaf? wow.

I WANT TO CRAFT MULTIPLE BAIT AT A TIME! I WANT TO PLACE RUGS ON THE GROUND OUTSIDE! I WANT TABLES AND COUNTERS TO PLACE MY ITEMS ON! I WANT GOLDEN TOOLS TO NOT BREAK- OR AT LEAST LAST WAY LONGER THAN THEY DO NOW. I WANT TO HAVE ACCESS TO ALL FURNITURE COLOUR SWATCHES/BE ABLE TO MANUALLY CUSTOMIZE THE OTHERS IF I OWN ONE.

The multiplayer in this game is so limiting. I want more furniture sets. This game could stand to be a hell of a lot more user friendly, bro.
  100. Apr 5, 2020
    First time i play animal crossing. I let my sister create the island. She played for a day or two. Now she doesn't want to play anymore. I have been playing for 10 days and i was wondering why i only got the museum.
    Truns out the second players can't progress the main story, or decide in any island related issue (new resident, new tools, bridge, new building etc).
    i am left with three
    i am left with three options:
    - Delete main player and restart the island (35h juste for me)
    - Force her to play
    - Get on her character every day to upgrade main/house story, do resident management, etc
    Such a wast of time.

Universal acclaim - based on 111 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 19, 2020
    Animal Crossing New Horizons is basically perfect. Full of wholesome content that helped us cope with the COVID-19 pandemics, the game keeps the heart of its predecessors while innovating enough to make it unique. It may not have won Game of the Year but it'll be the game we all remember from 2020, for sure.
  2. Jun 22, 2020
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a stunning new instalment in the Animal Crossing franchise, hindered only by its lack of immediate content, quality of life issues and missing returning characters and features While future updates will give the game long-term playability, for those already sipping vacation juice on their five-star islands, island life feels pretty mundane right now.
  3. CD-Action
    May 12, 2020
    It’s full of detail, pretty small things, and surprisingly well working simulations and systems – everything polished in such a way that the player really does care about everything that’s going on. [06/2020, p.40]