6.4

1. Apr 7, 2019
    Ape Out is one of the most stylish games I've evere played, and an amazing visual and auditory experience. Pity that it's not much of a game.

What really makes the game, fron an aesthetic point of view, is its uncompromising consistency. The design team clearly loves and understands that jazz-infused Soul Bass style of graphics. Their love shines through in everything, from the menus to the closing soundtrack. The fantastic dynamically generated jazz percussions don't miss a beat, and they propel the action forward better than any other game soundtrack I've ever experienced. The album covers that mark the chapters are so beautiful, I wish I had real albums based on them.

When it comes down to playability, however, Ape Out is a disappointment. The gameplay is almost skeletal: you run, you grab, you smash. The randomly generated environments are consistent with the theme of jazz improvisation, but they result in wildly different runs, where you often feel like your success or failure come down to luck more than skill. The difficulty of levels has much more to do with their length than anything else, as it's just harder to survive a longer level by relying on one lucky sequence. Even though the game does its best to introduce new elements in most levels, the basic run/grab/smash gameplay loop is just too wiry not to give a feeling of repetition.

Ape Out makes you want to keep playing thanks to its beautiful style, but you don't always have fun while doing so.
  2. Mar 15, 2019
    I was anticipating this game but I hate to say that it was a bit of a letdown.

Visuals are mesmerizing at times and the soundtrack blends perfectly with the action...but that’s not much more left to it. The ape’s abilities are only two: grab, throw. 5 or 6 enemy types. Stage structure: left to right or right to left. The result is a very repetitive gameplay. Game length is fair for
    I was anticipating this game but I hate to say that it was a bit of a letdown.

Game length is fair for what it has to offer.

Much love and support to Gabe Cuzzillo and the developer team for building an original experience nonetheless. Will keep following your work.
  3. Mar 1, 2019
    This game is a fast paced, jazzy, people smashing good time! If you're looking for a game under $25 that gives you nothing but pure fun with an artistic jazz filled direction then this is the game. Story is not the selling point of this game, it is arcade, action packed nonsense where you control an ape, literally trying to get out. How you do it is a simple mix of Hotline Miami and oldThis game is a fast paced, jazzy, people smashing good time! If you're looking for a game under $25 that gives you nothing but pure fun with an artistic jazz filled direction then this is the game. Story is not the selling point of this game, it is arcade, action packed nonsense where you control an ape, literally trying to get out. How you do it is a simple mix of Hotline Miami and old classic Rampage that takes nothing but 2 buttons and a joystick to complete. Starts out simple and fun and slowly ramps up to exhilarating and difficult. If you want handheld, goofy and quick action to kill some time in your days this game is a must buy and will keep you with a smile glued to your face for hours! Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2019
    Extremely fun, worth the low price and quite challenging. I am in the minority when I say the jazz-styled music was mediocre if not a bit annoying at times. Even if I play this title with the volume on low, it is still a fantastic, unique game. The style of levels are quirky and fun and the gameplay lets you die and retry at a rapid pace. If you enjoy fast-paced games, this one is for you.Extremely fun, worth the low price and quite challenging. I am in the minority when I say the jazz-styled music was mediocre if not a bit annoying at times. Even if I play this title with the volume on low, it is still a fantastic, unique game. The style of levels are quirky and fun and the gameplay lets you die and retry at a rapid pace. If you enjoy fast-paced games, this one is for you. It plays wonderfully in the hand-held mode as well! Expand
  5. Apr 7, 2019
    Ape Out takes a lot of unique and unusual aspects and smashes them all together to make an amazing game. The music is like nothing I’ve ever seen before in a video game. Your senses will be put in a trace with each level’s hair-raising drum beat and bright visuals. It feels like an arty version of Hotline Miami, but still keeps a brutal aspect that pays homage to that game.Ape Out takes a lot of unique and unusual aspects and smashes them all together to make an amazing game. The music is like nothing I’ve ever seen before in a video game. Your senses will be put in a trace with each level’s hair-raising drum beat and bright visuals. It feels like an arty version of Hotline Miami, but still keeps a brutal aspect that pays homage to that game.

Determination is needed to beat the game, so expect a death count way into the hundreds. However, I never had a death that felt annoying. I was always willing to hit ‘retry’ and fling my hairy ape body at my enemies to gain my freedom. Plus, depending how good you are, the game can be beat in about 4 hours.

Ape Out is well worth a buy on the Nintendo eshop, so stop monkeying around and get it bought!
  6. Mar 13, 2019
    This is simply one of the best under $20 games I have bought. I got about 10-15 hours of grinning and laughing gameplay out of it, and I really enjoyed the unique aspects of the game, and it's simplicity. I've read several of the negative reviews and I simply cannot understand where the hate is coming from. No this isn't a game you will be playing solid for months to come. And no it'sThis is simply one of the best under $20 games I have bought. I got about 10-15 hours of grinning and laughing gameplay out of it, and I really enjoyed the unique aspects of the game, and it's simplicity. I've read several of the negative reviews and I simply cannot understand where the hate is coming from. No this isn't a game you will be playing solid for months to come. And no it's not as good as BOTW or Mario Odyssey. But it is a very unique and enjoyable experience with some fun charm and discoveries to be had. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2019
    At about the half-way point of this game, I feel like it is time to review it. The high points of this game are that it is an absolute beautiful game. I've seen plenty of topdown video games but the art style is totally fresh. It feels outside of the genre. The soundtrack is on another level, and gives the game so much value. The controls are as simple as they need to be: two analog sticksAt about the half-way point of this game, I feel like it is time to review it. The high points of this game are that it is an absolute beautiful game. I've seen plenty of topdown video games but the art style is totally fresh. It feels outside of the genre. The soundtrack is on another level, and gives the game so much value. The controls are as simple as they need to be: two analog sticks and two shoulder buttons. You have complete control of the ape avatar. The only gripe that one could pick with this game is that the first run through of the entire game could probably be completed in 2-3 hours, depending on how quickly you pick up on it. If you are not interested in replaying for a higher score or new experience, this game may not feel worth the price. For one who values a tight audio-visual experience or wants to embrace a futuristic arcade-esque game, you will find plenty of enjoyment in this game. Bottom line is that it is not part of the trash heap that fills most of the e-shop store. It is a quality video game. Expand
  8. Apr 3, 2019
    Great game. Intriguing artistic style. Simple yet exciting gameplay. Levels become increasingly challenging but you can always overcome them.
  9. Jun 19, 2019
    I dont think the game is "short" as commented by other players. I spent about 15 hours on the game.. and still I´m not on the end. Its hectic. Some of the "sublevels" take 20 times to be finished. One of the levels took me more then 50 retries! Two days till I was able to go through the level.
    And still.. I was trying it again and again.. and this is something I enjoy on the games. I really like it. Its one of the games in my TOP 20 list :-)
  10. Jan 1, 2021
    5-10 hours of pure enjoyment! Don't expect a ton of depth to the game but enjoy it for what it is - an audiovisual masterpiece!
  11. Mar 5, 2021
    10 out of 10 style
    2 out of 10 gameplay: overly simplistic; more reliant on luck than skill; randomized levels don't work for this game often ending in unfair, cheap deaths
    10 out of 10 style
    Really wanted to like this game but it was just a huge disappointment. Huge difficulty spikes at the end. I'm the type of guy who will finish almost any game or movie no matter how bad it is. I stopped playing on the 5th level, break out. Honestly don't think most reviewers made it that far.
  12. Jun 18, 2019
    Really fun game, good for something to switch on for a quick blast if you've only got half hour or so, or as a nice little palate cleanser between big games. Controls are tight and responsive, and procedurally-generated levels mean no two runs are the same, with new layouts and enemy placements every time.

Ape Out has an excellent monochrome art style that cleverly changes during

Ape Out has an excellent monochrome art style that cleverly changes during different parts of each level in ways that add to the atmosphere and frenetic pace of this game.

It can quite simply be boiled down to 'get to the end of the level alive while smashing everything in your way', but sometimes being that simple is just what you need for some fun, and this game is definitely fun, however this can wear off after a while due to the simplicity and inevitable repetitive nature, and truthfully there is not much more to it than that.

By far my favourite bit however is the soundtrack, full of frantic improvisational jazz-inspired drums which actually respond to the action on screen, such as adding cymbal crashes to your attacks and dynamically rolling along to accompany the animalistic movements of your ape.

It's not a particularly long game, although it does have different difficulty modes etc to try, but it is definitely an enjoyable purchase while it lasts, even if it is not up there with the best on Switch.
  13. May 19, 2020
    Very original and fun game.

After playing for an hour or 2 it gets very difficult. I didn't have the motivation to carry on as the gameplay and levels dont really change throughout the game apart from getting harder.

I had fun for a couple of hours though so if you can pick it up during one of the regular sales I would say it is worth it.
  14. Mar 25, 2021
    Donkey Kong steht über allem, dann kommt diese Flucht. Ape Out ist kurzweilig schön, Affen die kritisieren haben keine Ahnung.
  15. Apr 9, 2020
    A work of art, both visually and aurally. Short-lived, but engrossing all the way through.
  16. Oct 2, 2020
    It was fun but there's not much to it in my opinion. Good for a few hours of fun but i don't have any reason to come back and the main draw of the game are the artsy visuals and music that responds to the situation. These are novel ideas and make for a fun few hours.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 31 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 17, 2019
    While it can be fun to run around smashing stuff and listening to a cool soundtrack, Ape Out is a bit of a one-trick pony. When you boil it down, it’s a maze runner with a smash-the-bad-guys element. Don’t get me wrong—the theme may be simple, but the game is fun to play. It’s challenging enough to keep you entertained for several hours so go let your inner monkey run wild for a while.
  2. Apr 3, 2019
    While Ape Out doesn’t last all that long, it certainly doesn’t overstay its welcome, either. The game is an absolute blast to play, and an experience that will delight most players. Between the game’s stylish presentation and unique use of music, Ape Out feels unlike much else on eShop. The game is very much an impressive achievement from developer Gabe Cuzzillo, and those who value quality over length will find a great option in Ape Out.
  3. Mar 20, 2019
    Honestly, I adore Ape Out. Visually it seems very uncomplicated, but step into the shoes of this gorilla and you will find that its simplicity belies a very considered approach to game design.