8.1

1. Dec 6, 2019
    I had basically given up on Atelier after playing Shallie, but I've been playing this and I'm excited by how much they really went out of their way to improve in this game. They should stop with yearly releases and keep up the good work they've started with this game.
  2. Nov 1, 2019
    Great visuals runs solid on the switch only played in handheld Easier than the other Atelier games in the past but still enjoyable. A solid new entry for people that want to jump in an Atelier game. Less frustrating time management system gives newcomers the change to explore, experiment new crafting techniques. A more intense turn-based combat system that will keep you on your toes vastGreat visuals runs solid on the switch only played in handheld Easier than the other Atelier games in the past but still enjoyable. A solid new entry for people that want to jump in an Atelier game. Less frustrating time management system gives newcomers the change to explore, experiment new crafting techniques. A more intense turn-based combat system that will keep you on your toes vast areas to explore, collecting items for crafting is even easier than before giving you a chance to craft items without looking for a specific item. I would give it a higher score if the game was a little more difficult. I finished it much quicker than any of the other games in this series. Looking forward to a sequel since most of the Atelier games are Trilogy. Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2019
    (Note having this mobile is actually really cool, so many bus rides made that much more awesome I love it!) This game so far is great! I really like the new way they took the combat, and pretty cool take on the ATB system. The updated / streamlined way they handled the alchemy I'm enjoying. And right now I'm pretty addicted to it, I played a solid 8 hours the other day and wanted to keep(Note having this mobile is actually really cool, so many bus rides made that much more awesome I love it!) This game so far is great! I really like the new way they took the combat, and pretty cool take on the ATB system. The updated / streamlined way they handled the alchemy I'm enjoying. And right now I'm pretty addicted to it, I played a solid 8 hours the other day and wanted to keep going. the story is pretty solid so far and the characters are pretty good, about 14 -15 hours in so far I'm curious to see where the story ends up. The one thing I'll take a point off for is the lack of an English dub it just makes me sad, hopefully with the new found success this particular entry Is having they will have the money to include one next time. I miss my Atelie dubs : -( . Expand
  4. Oct 31, 2019
    A much more fleshed out entry to the series. Atelier ryza offers a more explorable game, getting rid of the time contraints in favor of exploration and combat. The combat system has evolved into a active time battle that is more fast paced than the turn based system from before. The alchemy system has also been revamped.
  5. Mar 6, 2020
    This is my first entry into Atelier series and i can only say good thing about it. The characters are very likeable and the story is decent. The music is ok. The only negative and this is personal opinion is that it doesnt support English dub. I really dig the alchemy(crafting) and i spent hours doing stuff without even realising. I beat the main game in 32H coz Alchemy you know :D butThis is my first entry into Atelier series and i can only say good thing about it. The characters are very likeable and the story is decent. The music is ok. The only negative and this is personal opinion is that it doesnt support English dub. I really dig the alchemy(crafting) and i spent hours doing stuff without even realising. I beat the main game in 32H coz Alchemy you know :D but really for people that dont really know where to start with Atelier franchise i think this is a solid starting point !! Expand
  6. Jan 29, 2020
    Atelier Ryza est un excellent JRPG. La série a passé un cap avec cet opus. Que ce soit techniquement mais également dans le gameplay, le jeu a su moderniser la formule. Le scénario, un peu cliché au départ, prend ensuite de l’épaisseur pour nous offrir une jolie petite histoire. Sans doute le jeu Atelier le plus à même de faire passer un nouveau palier à la licence, notamment en occident.Atelier Ryza est un excellent JRPG. La série a passé un cap avec cet opus. Que ce soit techniquement mais également dans le gameplay, le jeu a su moderniser la formule. Le scénario, un peu cliché au départ, prend ensuite de l’épaisseur pour nous offrir une jolie petite histoire. Sans doute le jeu Atelier le plus à même de faire passer un nouveau palier à la licence, notamment en occident.
  7. Jan 18, 2020
    A great crafting system and solid character design make Atelier Ryza a strong entry in the Switch JRPG lineup. The big draw of this game (and the Atelier series as a whole) is the crafting. Extensive trees with plenty to unlock give the player a dearth of options that broaden choices in combat. It's also tied into the world perfectly; side quests serve to push the player to expand theirA great crafting system and solid character design make Atelier Ryza a strong entry in the Switch JRPG lineup. The big draw of this game (and the Atelier series as a whole) is the crafting. Extensive trees with plenty to unlock give the player a dearth of options that broaden choices in combat. It's also tied into the world perfectly; side quests serve to push the player to expand their pool of available recipes so that they keep pace with the difficulty curve. It's not quite the perfect freedom of mixing whatever you want, but within the confines of a game restricted crafting system Atelier Ryza probably does the best yet.

The characters/plot are fairly good, if at times a bit low stakes. 'We want adventures' does eventually give way to a real crisis, but it takes some time. Broadly, though, Ryza delivers on it's promise of adventures with alchemy, each arc serving to show some minor maturation on the part of the main characters.

Perhaps the worst thing about Atelier Ryza is the combat. It starts okay but begins to drag by the end of the game. While the player has some options, eventually the item system becomes throwing ever larger explosives of differing types at enemies. That might seem fun, but it wears out its welcome. By the end of the game I was pretty done with random encounters. More abilities for the main characters or new combat mechanics would have been welcome. (It feels odd to ask a JRPG for MORE combat complexity but Ryza is a bit far in the other direction.)

Overall, good game. Not the best on the Switch, but definitely worth a buy.
  8. Jan 31, 2020
    French review below---A very good JRPG with impressive graphics on Switch. 8/10.
    You can Follow me on Twitter : @NintendoLegacy1
    You can Follow me on Twitter : @NintendoLegacy1

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 3, 2020
    Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout begins a new trilogy in the Atelier series and this new chapter is a crowning achievement under the Atelier name. With visible improvements in the combat system and the audiovisual environment, but also more accessible than previous entries in the series, Atelier Ryza puts the threshold at a higher level regarding what is yet to come for Atelier.
  2. Dec 3, 2019
    Atelier Ryza uses the series classic gameplay loop and brings a few new systems to it, making this one of the best in the entire series. It’s an excellent beginning of a new arc, an excellent opportunity for new players and an excellent game for anyone that loves RPGs.
    Atelier Ryza is a journey about making the best of the here and now, and it is beautiful to behold for it. I felt incredibly engaged every step of the way, wanting to see the game through. I hope that this is the beginning of an engrossing new trilogy.