8.7

1. Dec 21, 2022
    The perfect JRPG

The perfect JRPG

If you like RPG games from the 16 bit era then i promise you that this is a dream come true. Chained echoes is a an homage to especially Chrono trigger and FF6. It takes the best of these games and even manages to build upon their greatness. The story and writing are absolutely excellent. The music is fantastic, some of the best that you've heard in a RPG in quite a while. The battle system is a mix of familiar and new mechanics. I absolutely loved how you need to be managing the overdrive meter and switching out characters on the fly made things more dynamic. The sky armors are a total blast in battle and to control because of the verticality and versatility they bring. Movement overall is a joy with your party members literally flying over the map. Everything controls so fluidly and you're constantly rewarded for exploring the map through the awesome reward board. The game starts off linear and story focused but seriously opens up halfway, bringing you tons of opportunity to explore, do side quests or recruit new character. The game can be a little challenging sometimes but it's fair and each fight can be fought all in because your HP and TP are restored after each fight. You can always see your enemies on the map and you can always flee from every battle. If things get too heated, you can also lower the enemy stats and aggression. Honestly, square enix should be embarrassed. Bandai Namco should be embarrassed. Falcom should be embarrassed. They have all been beaten by this indie game created by only one man. Mattias Linda is a simply genius. He has made a masterpiece that outclasses anything that has come out in the last decade.
  2. Dec 24, 2022
    This game is so well crafted. Your decisions when leveling and outfitting your characters actually matter. Everything about the game design is so well considered and tightly integrated. You'll actually want to explore each zone to make sure you maximize small gains to your loot. The story is really good and perfectly paced. What in God's name do people even see in a game like XenobladeThis game is so well crafted. Your decisions when leveling and outfitting your characters actually matter. Everything about the game design is so well considered and tightly integrated. You'll actually want to explore each zone to make sure you maximize small gains to your loot. The story is really good and perfectly paced. What in God's name do people even see in a game like Xenoblade 1/2/3 when an actual masterpiece like this comes from a single developer? The battles are just challenging enough to make you rethink your loadout and actually engage with the systems. I love all the little details that make the simple zones feel alive. I'm so impressed. Expand
  3. Dec 11, 2022
    Gorgeous pixel graphics, fun and thought-provoking turn-based battles, and amazing sound/music!
  4. Dec 25, 2022
    Best surprise of 2022. Love it! Miss another languages, but every detail of this game is a love letter to the classic JRPGs that we loved in our childhood ❤️
  5. Dec 28, 2022
    Perfect RPG games i'm looking so for. The combat not boring as other RPG game.
  6. Dec 9, 2022
    Good combat, sprite and story. Giant robots, good characters and 10 hours in an engaging story, I am stoked on this game. Might be a bit old school for the kids, but classic jrpg fans will definitely enjoys
  7. Jan 4, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half decent, it has a lot of good things going for it: the graphics, the gameplay, the music. It's all made (somewhat) by one dude.

The story? It just falls apart. It tries too hard to be Xenogears, even copying entire plots, but not in a way that makes it fit with the rest of the story. The dude just doesn't know how to write a story. How can you expect people to relate to your protagonist if you make him out to be some mish mash of anti-hero/hero?

Oh, so the dude was a major **** in the past, but then spent lifetimes "apologizing"? Oh, so the dude at the very end of the game decides "fk it, I'm too tired to keep on living, I'll let the guy we were just fighting have my body".

No, this is sht writing. It also has some wke elements as well.

It's a shame that the story tries so hard to be "different", but ends up just being a jumbled mess. So we have the major evil bad guy, who we NEVER fight, that inspired the ACTUAL villains of the game to keep killing humanity every few centuries IN ORDER TO FIGHT HIM. I know there is a reason given, but it's still rtrded as fk.
  8. Jan 2, 2023
    Great JRPG. Amazing story, made me remember the good old days. If you liked Chrono Trigger, you are going to love this.
  9. Dec 31, 2022
    "Chained Echoes" does everything perfectly for fans of the genre and newcomers. You get an exciting story with many interesting characters and great dialogues. The gameplay is also enjoyable, as are the other options in the gameplay. The graphics have their charm and the sound always does everything right. If you would like to have another good role-playing game with a certain look, you"Chained Echoes" does everything perfectly for fans of the genre and newcomers. You get an exciting story with many interesting characters and great dialogues. The gameplay is also enjoyable, as are the other options in the gameplay. The graphics have their charm and the sound always does everything right. If you would like to have another good role-playing game with a certain look, you should take a closer look at "Chained Echoes". Expand
  10. Jan 8, 2023
    If you like JRPGs from the SNES / PS1 era, this game is foe you. I can tell this game was made with love and care. A mix between FF6, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears with some modern updates and mechanics. I haven't felt this excited to play a game since BotW and a JRPG since FFX (20 years ago...). Can't recommend this game enough.
  11. Jan 23, 2023
    Every aspect of this game shows that a lot of love was put into it. Absolutely recommendable.
  12. Jan 12, 2023
    A phenomenal love letter to SNES JRPGs. Everything great about them, with modern convenience at every level; such as very little rng, full heals for your team after every battle, free Flees and battle Retries. Perfect balance between story, battle, and strategy, and so much content that never drags. Beating the main game is easily 60 hours, and side quests + secret final boss add anotherA phenomenal love letter to SNES JRPGs. Everything great about them, with modern convenience at every level; such as very little rng, full heals for your team after every battle, free Flees and battle Retries. Perfect balance between story, battle, and strategy, and so much content that never drags. Beating the main game is easily 60 hours, and side quests + secret final boss add another 10 hrs for sure; Amazing value.
    A fresh battle system that is easily understood and a fun way to encourage flexibility in your attacks (instead of spam). You only 'level up' from bosses (although you could grind to slightly improve your moves but its never required); Its about learning, and retrying with a different team setup and strategy. Personally I don't like excessive dialogue (which this game does not have), but even I wished I payed more attention by the end. Nothing to really complain about. Best JRPG of 2022
  13. Jan 7, 2023
    A huge surprise, probably one of my top game 2022. I highly recommend this game for JRPG lovers
  14. Jan 29, 2023
    The game definitely deserves a 10/10 recommendation to every RPG enjoyer!
    Very well written great story and intriguing worldbuilding. I personally think it is impressive that none of the characters story feels bland or cliche. You can tell that the game has really been putting effort into each character’s growth
    Combat system is a lot of fun and easy to follow. Quality of life is good
    The game definitely deserves a 10/10 recommendation to every RPG enjoyer!
    Combat system is a lot of fun and easy to follow. Quality of life is good when there’s no random encounters, no need for hard grinding. every aspect of the game just feels smooth.
    Had so much fun playing it!

Universal acclaim - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 25, 2023
    While Chained Echoes has the advantage of decades of distance from the games it looks to for inspiration, it’s a better experience in many instances than those vaunted games from which it arose. I prefer this combat, storytelling, and approach to progression and exploration to many of the JRPGs I grew up so enamored with playing. That’s the highest praise I can heap on a game so removed in time from the games to which it might be compared. Whether you currently count yourself a JRPG connoisseur or fondly recall the ʼ90s heyday of the genre, Chained Echoes is well worth your time.
  2. Jan 13, 2023
    I’ve played a lot of retro-inspired games this year, and Chained Echoes easily stands out as one of the best – and it’s not even particularly close. With gorgeous artwork, addicting mechanics, and a world that blends steampunk with high fantasy seamlessly, Chained Echoes is a loving homage to old-school RPGs while still managing to proudly blaze its own path. If you’re looking for a challenging (but not punishing) RPG with an engaging story, enjoyable characters, and mechanics that will keep you coming back for hours at a time, Chained Echoes is an absolute must.
  3. Jan 13, 2023
    Chained Echoes is an incredibly uneven RPG heavily inspired by the likes of Chrono Trigger and Xenogears. With bad writing, poorly thought out mechanics, and an overly complex… everything it can be hard to get through. Even so, there is a little fun to be found here, mostly near the beginning.